Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Maybe Chase offered to go since he knows Sasha and knows how vulnerable she is. 

That's what I figured.  Whoever got the call probably knew Chase and Sasha were friends, gave him the heads up, and asked him if he wanted to handle it.  

If Sasha and/or Deception spend a lot of money there, or have some kind of realtationship, I don't actually see them calling the police before contacting Sasha or Maxie to just pretend a mistake was made and get paid that way.  These things can backfire in the publicity department.

9 hours ago, lala2 said:

Tolly were awful to Kristina. If I were Kristina, I certainly wouldn’t speak to them again let alone offer to be their surrogate. They were obnoxious, rude, and patronizing to her. And they seem to dislike who she is as a person! In fact, I don’t like the way her mother or Sam speak to her either. They are all awful to Kristina and act like they are better than her. Kristina should write them all off if you ask me. I like KaMa’s Kristina. TempMolly is just not good. 

I think they all came across too strong, but I don't think it was wrong for Alexis and Sam to want Kristina to think this through from all angles before offering makes a lot of sense.  It's not a small thing.

And, I can see Molly's reasoning of being upset with Kristina for basically deciding to be her surrogate before they asked her or even knowing for sure if that was something they wanted.  However, calling her self-absorbed over it, was a bit odd when that's not really kristina's character.  Adding TJ being upset about Curtis and just lashing out at someone isn't all that unrealistic, but if his animosity continues, then yes, it's just too much.

1 minute ago, mbluecpa said:

Even on 4x FF, the Michael/Willow/Wiley beret/Eiffel Tower scenes were seriously cringeworthy.  

I thought they were kind of cute.

1 minute ago, mbluecpa said:

What I did really enjoy but haven’t seen mentioned is last week’s (Wednesday?) Martin/Anna scenes in the Metro Court shooter’s room.  Their banter and chemistry were 👍

yeah, I liked that.  They don't do a lot together, and I liked her correcting him about she and Lucy not being friends, but just having been around each other a long time.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Sasha’s current meltdown feels really rushed, as if the writers suddenly discovered that SM was ~8.5 months pregnant and had no plan for her maternity leave.

TFGH. They could never plan properly for TG's summer breaks that were written into his contract and happened every year.

12 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I wondered about the tag too. You'd think it would set something off.

I think the tag did set off an alarm, but they recognized Sasha so didn't stop her, calling the cops instead. The whole thing is dumb, no matter the reasoning we get.

I also hate how no one who's not trying to financially bilk Sasha isn't having even a teensy bit of concern for her behavior. Maybe that will happen today; I hope so.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

And for sure he will be paralyzed, but that won't be permanent, as it, like blindness, is never permanent on soaps. 

This.  I guess it’s too much work to keep up something like this long term, which is why I always respected that they never got rid of Todd Manning’s scar on OLTL.  Sure, it got way smaller as time went on but it was still there.  I read somewhere Roger was the one who insisted on keeping it, which made me like him even more.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think they all came across too strong, but I don't think it was wrong for Alexis and Sam to want Kristina to think this through from all angles before offering makes a lot of sense.  It's not a small thing.

I think Kristina realized this though after talking with Sam and Alexis.  She said something like she didn’t think it all through and didn’t think about all the implications.  She didn’t need Molly and TJ jumping down her neck.  I get that Molly was upset the Kristina was making it seem like it would all be just so easy, but she could have taken it down some.  That’s her sister.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Sasha’s current meltdown feels really rushed, as if the writers suddenly discovered that SM was ~8.5 months pregnant and had no plan for her maternity leave.  

Sasha's current meltdown seems to be revenge for the actress getting pregnant. 

I saw the preview for this week and what happens with Sasha is ugly AF.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1
26 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

also hate how no one who's not trying to financially bilk Sasha isn't having even a teensy bit of concern for her behavior. Maybe that will happen today; I hope so.

Michael and Willow said she was acting weird, and Maxie was side-eyeing her and IMO was concerned.  Just wasn't sure what was going on and what she could do about it.  Cody also seems like he thinks something is up.  Generally takes more than one day or incident to establish that it's a pattern and someone's just not having an off/weird day.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I think Kristina realized this though after talking with Sam and Alexis.  She said something like she didn’t think it all through and didn’t think about all the implications.  She didn’t need Molly and TJ jumping down her neck.  I get that Molly was upset the Kristina was making it seem like it would all be just so easy, but she could have taken it down some.  That’s her sister.

The thing that gets me is that Kristina didn't even approach Molly about it; she got the idea because she wanted to help Molly, Sam and Alexis told her that it wasn't a good idea and to think it over more, and later Kristina went to the hospital to support Molly and TJ. And then they jumped all over her for being insensitive and selfish.

Molly only knew about it because she overheard Kristina talking to Alexis and Sam.

I can't believe how badly this is being written.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

And for sure he will be paralyzed, but that won't be permanent, as it, like blindness, is never permanent on soaps. 

well, to be fair, death is also not usually permanent on soaps...

• Like 3
  • LOL 16
39 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Sasha's current meltdown seems to be revenge for the actress getting pregnant. 

I saw the preview for this week and what happens with Sasha is ugly AF.

Great. More ff’ing for me. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ciarra said:

If Curtis is paralyzed, how will he get into his own club?  The Savoy isn't accessible, stairs in, stairs out.

If that's the case, by law there must be some other entrance that is wheelchair accessible.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

I thought that the best parts of the show were Eddie Maine in a song duel, and Lucy talking about hummingbird cake.

JE gave Tracy's speech to Ned her all. She deserved better dialogue.

RoHo is even more creepy today as Austin than he was as serial killer Franco. And FFS, just end the Mason thing. It's been going on for over a year and it makes no sense that Ava folding for these vague threats.

Anna and Dante should have been good but it felt like a lot of filler.

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

And FFS, just end the Mason thing. It's been going on for over a year and it makes no sense that Ava folding for these vague threats.

Seriously. Wasn't Ava attacked by the 'hook' at the Q's July 4th BBQ? After leaving Austin and Mason mid-squabble... We still don't know what Masons deal is, or who he works for? 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Molly only knew about it because she overheard Kristina talking to Alexis and Sam.

Molly's overeaction (and TJs) was so over the top, that I felt like something had been cut out.  Molly overhears her sister say one thing and all of a sudden she was acting like it was a done deal, that Kristina had gotten a hold of some of TJ's DNA and had impregnated herself with it.  It was one comment.  Nothing has been discussed or deicded or agreed upon.  Slow your roll and calm down annoying nuMolly.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
36 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

We still don't know what Masons deal is, or who he works for? 

Also, is it really a threat if you have someone else give it?  The boss gives Mason a threat, who then passes that threat off to Austin, who then threatens Ava with the threat that Mason gave him to pass on, because the boss is a scary meanie.  What?  It's like a bad game of telephone, "She said that he said, that you said that I said that he thinks she has cooties".  

• LOL 9

Did I hear that Ava's mother is Delia Ryan's daughter, or did I just put together some random info to draw that conclusion: Mason mentions Ryan's bar, and Ava says her mother's name is Delia and she hasn't seen her in years.

Interesting if they seem to be bringing in characters from defunct soaps.

• Useful 3
20 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I'd just go ahead and kill Mason, and deal with whatever consequences that has. At least they wouldn't have to listen to him anymore, and I'd bet he doesn't want to die. And put that fear into him first. 

If the show hasn't forgotten, Mason knows Nik is still alive and where he is, though killing Mason probably wouldn't change whatever plans the writers might have for Nik. It's not as if they follow a grand plan.

• Like 8

Ilene Kristen Played Delia. From what I can see she is still working. Would be great to see her. They are bringing back former actors from other soaps and they have been good choices. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

So an "All My Children" mention AND a "Ryan's Hope" shoutout? Don't threaten me with a good time!! And I read here that Ava is the daughter of Delia Reid Ryan Ryan Coleridge. My youth is flashing before my eyes!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

There were a bunch of shenanigans with Delia back in like 2014/15 including several visits to Ryan's Bar which was somehow now the size of a small Starbucks. But Ilene was fun as always. Found most if that story on Youtube

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Did I hear that Ava's mother is Delia Ryan's daughter

Ava is Delia's daughter.  Every once in a blue moon, usually when she's in trouble, Ava will go and visit her mother for some advice.  I think the last time we saw her was when Ava was presumed dead and pretending to be her own cousin Denise Demuchi.  good times!!

• Useful 3

WTF with Dante begging and pleading with Anna for the privilege of putting himself in mortal danger for her and her stupid ploy. Good Lord that went on ad nauseam! Are they hinting at putting those two together again? Maybe he should use his time off to parent Charlotte and Rocco instead.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Lucy (to Jackson): You were married to Erica Kane?

Again, if Lucy knows who Erica Kane is - which today's dialogue confirmed - she would have known that Jackson is a former Mr. Erica Kane.  Did Lucy forget that during one of her delusions of vampires?

That idiocy made it all the more satisfying that Jack was like, "You're an extremely public figure, Lucy Coe, it was not hard at all to investigate your ass."

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Lucy (to Jackson): You were married to Erica Kane?

Again, if Lucy knows who Erica Kane is - which today's dialogue confirmed - she would have known that Jackson is a former Mr. Erica Kane.  Did Lucy forget that during one of her delusions of vampires?

That idiocy made it all the more satisfying that Jack was like, "You're an extremely public figure, Lucy Coe, it was not hard at all to investigate your ass."

I thought Lucy's fake naïvété was to try to snow Jack into giving her more information about whatever she's digging for. She could stroke his ego by telling how marvelous it was he was married to the great Erica Kane, etc. Of course, she completely forget she was not some rando unknown person. 

LOL that Felicia could break into the safe with a stethoscope. I know that's the old-timey yegg way to do it, so of course the show leans into that.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Felicia could break into the safe with a stethoscope. I know that's the old-timey yegg way to do it, so of course the show leans into that.

Right! I would think modern safes could not be broken into with a stethoscope, because they use electronics for locks*, but hey, it's General Hospital, so I'm sure everyone has access to a stethoscope. :-)

*Basing this mainly on hotel room safes, which are probably cheap but modern.

• LOL 3

MB's recent unfortunate hair dye job is making it difficult to pay attention to anything else when he's onscreen.  To me, he looks more attractive with his natural hair, less vampire-ish. 

After all those decades dealing with Erica Kane, Jackson is wise to the ways of conniving women- Lucy and Felicia were never going to outmaneuver him.

For the record, I do not like Lucy and Felicia being outplayed. lol

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

From what I remember of the old days, I didn't think Flea did much P.I. work.  Usually on Frisco/Felicia adventures, she was just along for the ride.  I didn't see her as some kind of super agent, not like she's being portrayed now. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

From what I remember of the old days, I didn't think Flea did much P.I. work.  Usually on Frisco/Felicia adventures, she was just along for the ride.  I didn't see her as some kind of super agent, not like she's being portrayed now. 

It was explained at Georgie’s funeral that Felicia was working freelance with Frisco (not sure about that) for the WSB, as a reason for her abandoning her daughters. A retcon, to be sure, to explain Kristina’s absence. Hence her “agent” skills.

• Useful 4

Well Brook Lynn's big secret about Chase ended up being yet another nothingburger. This show can squash anything interesting like nobody's business.

Sorry Leo, I think octopii are cooler. They can squeeze through tiny spaces, and they can predict which team is going to win the game.

I'd rather Gregory fight with Tracy than with Alexis (and Tracy is more creative) but what a waste of Gregory Harrison.

Cody: "I can bunk with Dante and Sam."  Me: Where? There are three kids living there already. How many bedrooms does that condo have?

Sam talking to Dante about Cody and Selina Wu was one of the better parts of the episode.

The Lucy/Felicia/Jackson capers should have been better.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

There are three kids living there already. How many bedrooms does that condo have?

Actually, there are four kids:  Rocco, Danny, Scout and Charlotte, who's staying there while Valentin is in Russia with Kevin and Laura.  So I had to laugh at Cody offering to stay at Sante's place.  He can sleep on the coffee table with her bowl of moss (not be confused with Carly's kitchen bowl of moss)

Edited by perkie1968
  • LOL 6

Ok so I’m a sap but I teared up at the scenes with Curtis and his mom.  I’ve also enjoyed all the Ashford family scenes.  Yeah, it was weird hearing Trina call Curtis dad but it’s a pretty intense situation so I get it.

3 hours ago, katenm said:

MB's recent unfortunate hair dye job is making it difficult to pay attention to anything else when he's onscreen.  To me, he looks more attractive with his natural hair, less vampire-ish. 

I agree.  He looks like a grown up Eddie Munster.  Mo’s not a bad looking man.  He doesn’t need the shoe polish.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Am I supposed to feel sorry for Olivia's pain?

Got a long memory, so nope, I really don't. Should've thought of it before treating the husband she wants like something she scraped off the bottom of her shoe.

• Like 7
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The Lucy/Felicia/Jackson capers should have been better.

What did they arrest Lucy for, felony distraction?  Felicia is the one committing the crime.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Got a long memory, so nope, I really don't. Should've thought of it before treating the husband she wants like something she scraped off the bottom of her shoe.

She made it obvious that she doesn’t want to be around Ned if he doesn’t have his memories and even though she tries to make it about Leo at the end, he showed way more compassion for what happened to Ned than she did. So much for in sickness and in health. As much as the Qs got criticized for being too much with Jason after his accident and driving him away, they always tried to keep him in their lives when it became clear that his memories weren’t returning. I really wish people like Monica were around to explain to her how messed up she was being. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

but what a waste of Gregory Harrison.

What waste?  He's been on for over a year and given top-tier B level actress (NLG) as a partner and a family and a deadly illness.  IMHO, he has failed. 

• Like 1

I thought Harrison did a good job today, fumbling for his keys and appreciating Alexis sitting with him but the writing for the character has been disappointing. Lying and yelling do not a sympathetic character make.

3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm not.  All I could think about during those scenes is that he's alive and other than the amnesia, he's healthy She should be counting her blessings and trying to forge a relationship with Eddie.

• Like 6
(edited)

Felicia should have been arrested.  She was trying to break and enter for confidential information. 

Olivia always hates on Ned. Not she's hating on him having a memory issue. I hate her.  She never can take the side of her husband. 

The house Ned and Lois had for L&B the music label. That is now Michaels house?

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

The house Ned and Lois had for L&B the music label. That is now Michaels house?

The Gatehouse? Yes that is where Michael, Willow and their kids are living. Although back in the 90s, the door was on the left side not the right side of the house.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
57 minutes ago, nilyank said:

The Gatehouse? Yes that is where Michael, Willow and their kids are living. Although back in the 90s, the was on the left side not the right side of the house.

Thanks!

That would have been the perfect place for Eddie with the history. 

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I thought Harrison did a good job today,

Hadn't seen yesterday's episode before writing and of course, he delivered one of his best performances to date.  But he comes across as stiff and it feels like he's a 'guest' on the show instead of someone like Vernee Watson (Aunt Stella) who is able to mesh in.  And he doesn't 'gell' with his tv sons.  That being typed, I still prefer to watch his scenes than any with MB/Carly/Carly Jrs/.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, ffwbe said:

She made it obvious that she doesn’t want to be around Ned if he doesn’t have his memories and even though she tries to make it about Leo at the end, he showed way more compassion for what happened to Ned than she did. So much for in sickness and in health. As much as the Qs got criticized for being too much with Jason after his accident and driving him away, they always tried to keep him in their lives when it became clear that his memories weren’t returning. I really wish people like Monica were around to explain to her how messed up she was being. 

She most certainly lacks empathy. But the writing didn't come off as her wanting her husband back. The writing came off as her wanting Leo to have his father.

This isn't how you treat someone who has gone through a trauma, let alone brain trauma.

Characters like Olivia can say what they want about Tracy. At least she's trying to bring her son back home.

8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm not.  All I could think about during those scenes is that he's alive and other than the amnesia, he's healthy She should be counting her blessings and trying to forge a relationship with Eddie.

The show always expects us to have empathy for their worst characters. Olivia hasn't been a loving wife for a long time, if ever. She was happy to stand beside Ned when he was running for mayor. Not so much after that.

• Like 6
  • Love 5

Is ned just going to wander around town  unsupervised? He lives with sonny. Why doesn't ned have a bodyguard?

Is he getting  psychiatric help?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Olivia hasn't been a loving wife for a long time, if ever. She was happy to stand beside Ned when he was running for mayor. Not so much after that.

I will always find it hilarious that the only instance we can recall of Olivia being Team Ned was when he was mayor and we were supposed to be rooting against him since he was colluding with that shady guy. Though she was more invested in having that first lady title than he was in being the mayor. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I think Jackson said to arrest Lucy for fraud. 

No one has any understanding of what fraud is.

The show always expects us to have empathy for their worst characters.

And for their worst behaviors.

• Like 12