Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Sonny told her he thought it was Ned and she kept silent.  

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Willow and wants her to live.

She has lots of fans on the GH Facebook page. 

• Like 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Artsda said:

Leave Carly alone? Someone pull the plug on her, die Willow. 

Willow's insane hatred of Nina is beyond pathological at this point. And I'd love to see everyone's post include or end with the phrase "die Willow. Just die."

22 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Hey Laura hey Laura hey Laura I just wanted to jabber endlessly while you're thinking because you know if you get this formula thing wrong you could lock the whole thing up and then kill Port Charles even though I don't even believe you or have faith in your brain but just in case these are actually high stakes why don't I keep bugging you while you're trying to type, OK Laura hey Laura....

Seriously. He was like a babbling three-year-old going on and on while Badass Laura's trying to save the world. It's truly awesome that she could remember from 40-odd years ago an almost certainly complex chemical formula. She's GH's Wonder Woman, no doubt about it.

On the other side of the spectrum we have Anna, who clearly has taken permanent leave of her senses. You've got a daughter, and two grand-kids, why expose yourself to a deadly pathogen???? Time to retire from spy work and open up a quaint little tea-and-crumpet shop.

Wish I could have written the Holly-Liesel-Victor dialogue. Liesel: "Why didn't you just poison him to death?"  Holly: "I actually thought about that, but then decided having to live without 'Mr. Happy' would be a fate worse than death."

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 5
1 minute ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Willow's insane hatred of Nina is beyond pathological at this point. And I'd love to see everyone's post include or end with the phrase "die Willow. Just die."

the thing is  I have to say as much as I loathe Carly (like flat out hate how she has eaten the show) - had one her children treated Carly the way that Willow treated Nina today specifically - I would be equally pissed off for Carly (fundamentally. because I also trust Carly to do/say something to make me go. hmhmm. yeah welll there we are - ie: the entire NF/post NF/up until Carly decided to play stupid games with Sonny that i actually saw Carly's PoV on things)

I think it's telling that even YT-Reaction people who are very anti Nina were like. "oh honey, no." regarding Willow's action. 

I've been re-watching classic soap stuff the last week and a bit because YT wants me to get gutted over the good stuff again - and I wouldn't even say that this would go down as a classic soap moment a few years from now. It's simply just another puff of hot air going up Carly's behind. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I wish Nina was a match for Willow so that these assholes would have to be nice to her and grateful for her to help save Willow's pathetic life. 

But they wouldn’t have been. They still would have given her the stank face all day and act like she only did it so they’d owe her something. Willow didn’t even seem to care about her getting tested and told her it wouldn’t make a difference in their relationship if she was a match so we would have just heard ranting about how it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, ljr said:

I'm so confused aboit the timeliness for willow collapsing,the wedding,and Greenland. How many days has it been?

One day, but apparently time moves a lot faster in Greenland.

There must also be a portal between PC and Somewhere in Greenland that Anna and Holly opened and stepped through.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
36 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

There must also be a portal between PC and Somewhere in Greenland that Anna and Holly opened and stepped through.

I'm sure it's still open so Drew can play the conquering hero and get Liesl back to PC to save Willow, who, let it be noted, has had zero prep for this bone marrow transfer.  But I'm sure by the end of next week she'll be 100% again because this fucking show.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
31 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

But I'm sure by the end of next week she'll be 100% again because this fucking show.

She'll be pregnant in two weeks!

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like the Ice Princess redux at all. It took since CH was hired and Victor talking about his big big BIG plans to get to this point and it was just so anti-climactic overall.

Valentin will live, Willow will live and we will continue to live in the world of no consequences unless it's a character the writers have targeted to be crapped on.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Valentin will live, Willow will live and we will continue to live in the world of no consequences unless it's a character the writers have targeted to be crapped on.

I can’t disagree with this part of your statement. There are no consequences, and stories do fizzle out with this regime. 

That said, I enjoyed the IP story for the most part. I never saw the first story - it occurred before my time - but this story was pretty exciting to me. I enjoyed Sprina connecting and all the Victor stuff. I can’t say they stuck the landing, but I haven’t looked forward to the show in a long time! I can’t remember the last time I was excited to watch prior to this mini-arc so that says something.

Also, I’m sorry this story has ended. Other than Sprina, Tolly, and Austin/Ava, there is literally nothing else I care about on the show right now! 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like the Ice Princess redux at all. It took since CH was hired and Victor talking about his big big BIG plans to get to this point and it was just so anti-climactic overall.

This thing has been all over the place. When the writers decide to pivot back to a weather machine theme, Laura defuses it in 5 minutes using 40-year-old memories. It's well past time to retire the Cassidines as major baddies. Helena, Stefan, and Stavros are all dead, Luke too, supposedly (but I'm still holding out hope). Those characters, along with Laura, drove the decades-long conflict. Robert's been rendered impotent (professionally) as far as WSB matters are concerned, so who's left, really?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

This thing has been all over the place. When the writers decide to pivot back to a weather machine theme, Laura defuses it in 5 minutes using 40-year-old memories.

This really bothered me. The weather machine came out of nowhere. There was no real set up for it as far as I remember. It snows in PC, Laura stops the machine. The end.

They don't even up the stakes. It takes years to find come up with vaccines, but Leisl did that inside 5 minutes. The writers took 3 years with this and rushed to the finish line. The end result is not great.

• Like 7
56 minutes ago, lala2 said:

That said, I enjoyed the IP story for the most part. I never saw the first story - it occurred before my time - but this story was pretty exciting to me. I enjoyed Sprina connecting and all the Victor stuff. I can’t say they stuck the landing, but I haven’t looked forward to the show in a long time! I can’t remember the last time I was excited to watch prior to this mini-arc so that says something.

I did see the first story (maybe just the last part where they were trying to stop the weather machine) way back in the early 80s and I was watching to keep my mom informed since she was working and I was home from school (Summer I think) so I didn't really get everything that was going on and it seemed a little loopy to me, but I enjoyed it. As short as this current story has been (the last few weeks that is), I have enjoyed it. As someone else said though, Victor started mumbling about his plan eons ago (couple of years?) and it took this long to heat up and then finished pretty quickly. I wonder if the writers wrapped it up more quickly then intended due to the pending strike?

For me, the last mini-arc that excited me was the gang stopping Ryan Chamberlain and rescuing Esme, so not bad on keeping me entertained

Separately, I wish Willow had also demanded to Carly that she stop fighting with Nina; it wasn't just Nina that's the problem

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

They don't even up the stakes. It takes years to find come up with vaccines, but Leisl did that inside 5 minutes. The writers took 3 years with this and rushed to the finish line. The end result is not great.

TFGH. The setups are usually decent (grading on a curve, of course), but the resolutions are almost always laughably bad. The pacing is part of the problem, but the writers are terrible at figuring out how to end the stories. I guess we should be grateful we don't get "the [thing] that changes Port Charles forever!" promos, because nothing ever does.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

That said, I enjoyed the IP story for the most part. I never saw the first story - it occurred before my time - 

I do remember the original Ice Princess story-even though I was wee, and I can say the original was VASTLY superior. We were introduced to Robert!Fucking!Scorpio! 
And the chemistry between him and Tiffany. Yes, they were a thing for a minute. Mikkos-the villain I remembered from the original Battlestar Galactica! Laura being a BADASS. 
Was it cheesy? Yes. But it worked and saved the soap from cancellation. And while it was happening, other stories were going on, but the effect of the machine was being felt in Port Charles.

I only watched One Life to Live briefly around the same time, so I don’t know what kind of show runner Frank was when he was in charge. But he has RUINED this soap, which was already being eaten by Mooby and Jaysus.

Maybe I’ll get around to watching the Laura scenes this weekend. And give me finger exercise by utilizing the fast forward button.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)

See, I thought that Laura was the shining star in the whole thing. She was smart, brave and selfless - willing to do what was best for the entire world without being distracted that her two grandsons were in the middle of all the craziness. Laura was connected to the past Ice Princess storyline and all the characters that ended up in Port Charles (well except for Drew who could have easily been lifted out and it wouldn't have effected any of the storylines there).

Finally, Laura came across as competent and strong and badass like she did almost 40 years ago.

Sprina as the show young couple with its growing popularity should have been right in the middle of the action. Instead, they were mostly hostages that were able to make a few calls. Sure Spencer was given a little moment where he knocks out Victor and grabs the pathogen (before the drones bomb the Haunted Star) but Trina was literally holding the baby while all the action went down. If it wasn't for Ace and his adorable cuteness , I wouldn't have stop to watch the scene of Trina at the end.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3

So many questions. 

Why, after an enjoyable split second flashback to Robert and Laura from the first IP storyline, wasn't Mr. Scorpio at her side again in Greenland, instead of the far-too-chatty-for-the-circumstance Curtis?

Why have we been given not a single scene of Kevin worrying about his wife?

Why would the WSB think it a good idea to bomb an island with a lethal pathogen?  Irradiate it, guys.  

How did Drew and Holly not notice Victor getting up and running away?  

Why did they put Anna through that tortuously cheesy scene with Valentin? Why did they put US through it?  Why have they ruined one of my favorite characters?

Why did they tease us by mentioning Frisco?

Why bring up the weather machine if not to create unusual weather?  Even the characters know it sometimes snows in May in upstate NY.  

I really do miss good storytelling.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

On the other side of the spectrum we have Anna, who clearly has taken permanent leave of her senses. You've got a daughter and a grand-kid, why expose yourself to a deadly pathogen????

She’s got two grandchildren-Emma and Noah. But I agree with your comments.

Where’s the Anna that tortured Faison and buried him alive?!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, Daisy said:

Well Sonny is blaming Ned as well. he brought it up before Nina was like let's go to the island.

Sonny told Nina that he's going to find out who called the SEC and he thought it was Ned. There was nothing that Nina could have said at that point that wouldn't point to her.

If Sonny finishes looking into to it and concludes that it really is Ned and starts doing Sonny-like things to him and Nina still doesn't say anything, I'll change my position.

20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I've changed my mind: Get rid of Michael. He's the one being the absolute worst here. Carly and Joss are following his lead—enthusiastically, but they're not setting the agenda. It's pretty much all Michael having the temper tantrum.

And he's the connection to Willow. Take out Michael and Willow can possibly be saved. Maybe even Joss if Jax ever comes back.

4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I agree that the end result was too rushed (and spoiled by Drew and Curtis), especially the machine which was a blink-and-you-miss-it twist.. But the antidote already existed, Victor just needed Liesl to check that both the virus and the antidote still worked.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:
9 hours ago, ljr said:

I'm so confused aboit the timeliness for willow collapsing,the wedding,and Greenland. How many days has it been?

One day, but apparently time moves a lot faster in Greenland.

It's two hours ahead of New York, so that makes sense. Hee.

• LOL 4

UCG from yesterday was Jordan's face watching the snow. Even with Ace staring at Victor, you can tell there is more going on behind his eyeballs than with Jordan.

😆

• Like 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's two hours ahead of New York, so that makes sense. Hee.

The problem isn't the 2 hours time difference. The problem is the wormhole.

6-hour flight from NY to Greenland. It took them longer to get Willow to the hospital than it did for Anna and Holly to arrive Somewhere in Greenland. /s

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 7
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
17 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

On the other side of the spectrum we have Anna, who clearly has taken permanent leave of her senses. You've got a daughter and a grand-kid, why expose yourself to a deadly pathogen????

She’s got two grandchildren-Emma and Noah. But I agree with your

Thanks for that. I had originally wrote two grand-kids, but wasn't sure. I went back and did the edit, accuracy counts!

• LOL 2

So many thoughts.

I realize Portia is worried about her daughter (did she ever mention that?), but being at the hospital, working as a doctor, while distracted by her missing daughter, is one of the stupidest things. Who would want to be treated by a doctor who is distracted? Worry at home, stay away from the hospital.

I agree with everyone who said Willow should be asking Carly to play nice with Nina as well.  This is not and never has been a one-sided dispute. Willow can go ahead and die now. Nina should focus her love and affection on Sasha.

I'm very confused about this pathogen. If it needs UV light to "go live", then how did it manage to make Valentine sick when he was in the bunker? When Laura broke the vial in the bunker Victor was all "ha ha, can't do anything as it needs light to be activated". But there wasn't any light around when he was confronted by Holly outside the bunker...I'm so confused.

I do not understand how this whole story has been in the works for absolutely years, and the big plan was to introduce a pathogen to save the planet? Really?? What a let down.

Can't stand Carly, Michael, or Josslyn. Willow is (supposedly) dying. You let her decide what she wants to do and you don't interfere. Even if I don't like her anymore (loved her with Chase), you do whatever a dying person wants to do.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
13 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I'm very confused about this pathogen. If it needs UV light to "go live", then how did it manage to make Valentine sick when he was in the bunker?

It makes even less sense given Dr. O injected the pathogen into Valentin's arm, and Laura broke a vial for airborne infection. 

Whatever the plot needs, I guess.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sonny told Nina that he's going to find out who called the SEC and he thought it was Ned. There was nothing that Nina could have said at that point that wouldn't point to her.

If Sonny finishes looking into to it and concludes that it really is Ned and starts doing Sonny-like things to him and Nina still doesn't say anything, I'll change my position.

thanks for the correct, and I'm the same w/that.

• Like 1

This whole Willow thing, I just can’t. We made the mistake of not fast forwarding the Carlys the last couple of days and…rage blackout. Lesson learned. No doubt the miracle of Willow’s upcoming shocking last-minute cure will give way to the big investigation of wrongdoing (not the crime of course, but who reported it) so we’ll be getting a lot of them coming up.

Why in the hell was Trina so insistent on calling Jordan, who is incompetent in her own jurisdiction, for backup 2000 miles away? At least Jordan was courteous enough to let Trina know that she was putting her on speaker!

The post-fight makeup on NAC made Spencer sorta look like a zombie which actually worked well in the scene where he was going for Victor.

At least we had Laura being a badass (despite Curtis’ narrating/kibitzing) and good snark from Leisl. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

When Willow called Nina in, I thought she had figured out that Nina was the one who turned Carly and Drew in.  that would have made more sense.  But now she needs to extract the same promise from Carly.  dying people can get whatever they want.

• Like 4

This is why we watch soaps - what other genre lets you see Grandma Laura channel her younger self and save the day with the carbonic snow formula from 40 years ago?  (And why unnecessary recasts are such a drag.)

I'm ready for everyone to get back to PC though. 

• Like 8
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, tessaray said:

I'm ready for everyone to get back to PC though. 

Same, though I'm not ready for the "hail, the conquering hero!" welcome Curtis and Drew will undoubtably receive. Ugh. They were both muscle, that's all. Useful muscle, but nothing they did stopped Victor. And I'm really not ready for Portia's reaction to seeing Trina.

• Like 6

I thought Curtis was good, but this Drew just can't pull off tough guy, sorry.  Billy Miller could, but Hallmark Cam cannot.  I dunno.  Anyway, I thought Spencer's confrontation with Victor was the best out of all three.  Curtis is the runner up tho.  He was definitely the muscle.  Neither Drew or Curtis are the thinkers. 

• Like 9
On 5/6/2023 at 11:07 AM, YaddaYadda said:

The writers took 3 years with this and rushed to the finish line. The end result is not great.

It seems like this was in part intentional.  Ensure that a disjointed adventure plot (in a soap) is competing against the beautiful Carly Clan plot and ratchet up Sonny threatening people/stuff.  It's the Carly (Corinthos) hour and don't forget it!  

• Sad 6
  • Applause 1

Sam didn't give Nina that many more details about the wedding than Sonny did.

I wish the plane Drew and Liesl were in crashed somewhere and injured Liesl just enough so that she couldn't donate her bone marrow.

Shut up, Willow. Shut up, Michael. You dolts suck.

Trina could have been a little more sensitive toward Valentin about Victor being the one in the body bag and not Spencer.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Sam didn't give Nina that many more details about the wedding than Sonny did.

No, but she didn't sneer at her. She had an actual conversation with her, which was good for a change. But the whole suggestion to apologize to Carly was of course more propping of that heifer. I like that they brought up Sam and Alexis's very rocky relationship at the beginning and how it changed.

Sonny is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Carly will raise a finger to help him when she finds out who turned him in. She'll never go against her golden spawn.

Color me shocked that they decided to kill Victor off. So we've got no more bad Cassadines now, I guess, unless Nikolas comes back with a personality transplant.

Esme is completely irrelevant to the show without her baby. I don't even know why they decided to keep her around.

Is it too much to hope that Leisl manipulating the pathogen means that she can't donate her bone marrow.

It was a good episode, but I also ffed through large portions of Dante/Carly and Puff Fish and his stepford wife.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

No, but she didn't sneer at her. She had an actual conversation with her, which was good for a change. But the whole suggestion to apologize to Carly was of course more propping of that heifer. I like that they brought up Sam and Alexis's very rocky relationship at the beginning and how it changed.

Sonny is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Carly will raise a finger to help him when she finds out who turned him in. She'll never go against her golden spawn.

Color me shocked that they decided to kill Victor off. So we've got no more bad Cassadines now, I guess, unless Nikolas comes back with a personality transplant.

Esme is completely irrelevant to the show without her baby. I don't even know why they decided to keep her around.

Is it too much to hope that Leisl manipulating the pathogen means that she can't donate her bone marrow.

It was a good episode, but I also ffed through large portions of Dante/Carly and Puff Fish and his stepford wife.

LOL the only way I watch these days!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Uh, Willow, you and Nina not having a relationship does hurt other people, namely your children. You're an asshole.

Of course it's Nina who has to grovel to Carly for crumbs.

LOL that Joss still thinks anyone cares that she and Dex are a couple.

• Like 5
  • Applause 9
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Trina could have been a little more sensitive toward Valentin about Victor being the one in the body bag and not Spencer.

Eh, I'll give her a pass seing as Victor kept her hostage and threatened to kill her for several days.  

21 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Color me shocked that they decided to kill Victor off.

The fact that his entire body is intact, despite the fact that he was in an exploding boat, means he's not dead and will return in about 18 months for the next non sensical story that will change nothing.  

6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Literally no one cares!  But that's what keeps things spicy between them I guess.  That and apparently talk of Sonny gets their groove on.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Granted Spencer popped up at the end but it was weird Laura was sidelined until the very end. I'm not surprised Joss was given something to do in talking about Spencer, but Laura only had her Friday reaction? Valentin is up and walking around, Anna bounced to London, it felt very disjointed. Giant Baby Aces reactions saved the episode. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The only person who might actually care is over in Australia. Jacks would hit the roof. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

Don't couples take photos or video at weddings anymore?  Something they could throw Nina a bone with?  A picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case, "Yeah, they got married, the end."

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Man Trina I know you only weigh 90 lbs, but do you think it is a good idea to launch yourself at someone staggering out from a bombed out building??  Other then that it was a very good moment for Sprina, reminded me of Jax/Brenda, first time I really felt anything for Sprina.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

The discussion between Sonny and Diane about the SEC investigation was something. Regardless of who snitched on Carly and Drew, the facts show that insider trading happened. The trading activity is documented. Then Sonny thinks that if it doesn't "benefit" the SEC to prosecute Carly, they shouldn't do so. Surprise - the "benefit" is prosecuting law breakers! Maybe Carly will be able to get off easier because she isn't a "big fish", but with a clear-cut case documented, there's no reason for the SEC to drop it. 

Again, the characters in the show who are supposed to be big shot executives are woefully uninformed. When I worked for a big company, at least once a year we were reminded of the perils of insider trading and other unethical practices, which could result (at best) in termination or (at worst) in prosecution. And I was NOT a "big fish". 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Uh, Willow, you and Nina not having a relationship does hurt other people, namely your children. You're an asshole.

and if she (willow) doesn't want a relationship, which whatever, have the ovaries to tell that to Nina point blank and stop using Nina's desire to have a relationship to get what you want from her. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 5
  • Applause 9
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Trina I know you only weigh 90 lbs, but do you think it is a good idea to launch yourself at someone

That's why NC had to bulk up the past few months, so that he'd be able to catch her when she launched herself.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 14

Y’all . . . . . Trina’s leap into Spencer’s arms killed this Sprina fan. I absolutely LOVED that moment. It was the perfect end to the adventure. I really enjoyed the adventure. Was it a bit rushed? Sure. Could there have been more Sprina moments? Yup! But with how crappy soap writing is nowadays, I was happy with the story for the most part. It was the only story I cared about for the past month or so and kept me eager to tune in each day to see what was happening next. I haven’t felt that way in a long time! I’m sad it’s over, but I’m ready for Sprina’s next chapter. . . which better not have anything to do with pointless Esme. 

The more they say Carly AND Sonny have each other’s backs, the more I think Sonny’s in for a rude awakening. I could be wrong because that might be dramatic and interesting, and GH doesn’t typically do that especially for this group, but maybe Carly doesn’t back Sonny when the truth comes out about Michael, and Sonny sees he shouldn’t owe Carly or her brats any loyalty! That could be good! 

• Like 6
  • Love 7

The Sprina moment at the end was EVERYTHING. I rewound that ish like five times. It was perfect soap Love in the afternoon(trademark) nirvana! Trina calling out his name, and then run-leaping into his arms. Beautiful, ultra-romantic, holding his face, the smiles on their faces, and such a beautiful kiss. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I was grinning like a fool.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Y’all . . . . . Trina’s leap into Spencer’s arms killed this Sprina fan. I absolutely LOVED that moment.

It was super soapy and I loved it.

Everything else today was garbage. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2