Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Carly; "When Kristina comes home for Christmas

I had to rewind and listen 3 times and then put on CC before I figured out what the hell she was talking about 😆

Chase and Blaze: the original song was the WORST of worst Disney songs I have ever heard, I had to fast forward.  Their rendition of Silent Night was just sad.

Ava and Carly were funny.

I don't mind Jex, but yes she needs to hurry and tell Cam, hopefully before Blaze leaves town. Blam!!!

I don't think this show understands what an ugly sweater is (other than Maxie's usual wardrobe).

Happy Holidays everyone and stay safe to all of us around the Great Lakes this weekend. Theoretically Port Charles is going to be blown off the map, flooded in a giant wave, encased in ice and buried in snow. 

Edited by Blackie
even more scary weather!!
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

I don't know if I've gotten too old for this sort of crap, because I used to lap it up with a spoon when I was 17-18, but there is nothing rootable about these two hos making out in the middle of the road. First, have the decency to break up with your boyfriend. Second, get a room, you nasties. 

There's literally nothing cute or endearing about what Joss and Dex are doing. Bravo, asshats!

Spencer using himself as bait for "Esme" is a very dumb idea.

So the earring belonged to Ryan's wife whom he killed 30 years ago and came from that chain that Heather left with Esme when she was a baby? Convoluted is thy middle name, show! The nanny top of the list of suspects. What are you doing with that investigation, Sam? Asking for a friend.

I giggled at Heather playing dress up with Ryan. It felt like he was being visited by karma, having to sit there, not moving, not reacting, taking that form of abuse and being unable to say a single thing. Heather should tell him more about pickleball. He might get up from his chair and run out the door.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Spencer using himself as bait for "Esme" is a very dumb idea.

Especially since it is not going to get the reaction that he thinks that he will.

Speaking of which, I know Spencer is not our Hooker but didn't the attacks stopped when he was at Pentonville.

So I guess Donna and Avery won't get to spend Christmas together? Bummer.

Now Nikolas isn't even bothering. Just drinking from a flask and making threats about sending Esme to share the same fate that his mother suffered.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Ava and Carly were funny.

Yes they were - “karma really is a b*tch”. 🤣

So Nik knows that Esme isn’t the hooker but didn’t bother to tell his son. And Liz knows but won’t tell Cam, so T&S will do something very stupid. Sigh…

To avoid huge second-hand embarrassment I muted all the singing and read instead.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
54 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Their plan is dumb but if it means we get some couple time with them

I guess it gives the producers time to see if they really have chemisty together and if they don't they can break them up out of nowhere.

56 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Donna is adorable.

She was cute but I did feel sorry for her that she had to hold that fake smile so long during that god aweful song.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Theoretically Port Charles is going to be blown off the map, flooded in a giant wave, encased in ice and buried in snow. 

OMG I just realized this is Victor's weather machine, HAPPENING in RL!!!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6

I love the way MW delivered the “Karma is a bitch” line. Ava is no angel, but she’s 100x better than Carly. 

I don’t know if I’m just imagining it because MC is out, but Nik seems to be spiraling. It will be interesting to see if they recast or just write him out.

Was this the first time we saw Sasha with Donna? I don’t know why, but those scenes were weird to me.

• Like 6

Oh. My. God. Did we really need a fan blowing back Blaze and Chase's hair during their monumentally cheesy song. 🤮 

Maxie and Austin's break up conversation seemed longer than their entire romance. 

It was fun watching LW and MW play. I hate Carly, but they are both pros. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

"But mah stolen agency!" -- OK, Officer DoneWrong. Reel it in a little. You're starting to milk this a little too much. 

I'm genuinely grateful for those of you who remembered the Christina Comes Home movie. I was so confused -- especially when Carly and Joss started watching their movie without Kristina. 

• Like 1

Where the heck was Joss's bodyguard - Steve, is it? - when she was stranded at night by the side of the road? With that kind of ace effort, he'll find himself with a one-way ticket to the Pine Barrens any day now.

I know it was all in service of having Dex "rescue" her, but geez, that was dumb. Too bad Cameron didn't happen by in time to see his girlfriend making out with a mobster muscleman by the side of the road. Joss considers herself such a paragon of virtue that she feels free to judge everyone else, she'll convince herself that sparing Cameron's feelings by not breaking up with him is a good thing, even as she's falling into bed with Dex.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, ciarra said:

Blatant Disney propping going on.  From Alexis' Joy pillow with mouse ears on the  "O", the mouse-ear wreath on Finn's door, Mickey shirt on Violet and gold Micky sweatshirt on Molly.

It has been going on for a while but they're really pushing it for the holiday season. When Joss brought toys for the donation bins at Kelly's not only did she have Disney toys in her arms but there were also Disney toys sticking out of the bins. I find product placement annoying in general, but ABC/Disney take it to new levels of annoying.

• Like 5

I only saw the Sprina scenes on YT, and I still really like them. I think they have chemistry, and their scenes were really cute! I especially liked when she wiped the snow off his face. They spark to me. I hope we don’t have to wait several more weeks to see them together again while we force fed endless scenes of Joss/Dex!! 🙄

I’m actually a bit shocked they are letting Joss cheat on Cameron the way she is, but then I guess she and Dex are the “root for” couple to most of the audience so her trashy actions are excused. You would think they would let her just end things with Cameron and move on with Dex. Why have her cheat and lie? I don’t care about Joss and am not invested in any storyline involving her (she is automatic FF/mute material for me), but it’s an interesting path to take I guess. 🤷🏾‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Having Joss flirt and kiss another guy over and over again without a hint of remorse isn’t cute and I still think both lack charisma. Wasn’t Cam her best friend before they got together? This is so gross. 

I firmly believe she hasn’t broken up with Cameron or told anyone outside of Carly what’s going on because she cares more about saving face and not getting called out for being a cheater or treating Cameron poorly like she constantly does to others. She’s way too sensitive to be able to take it when others turn it around on her.

I think it’s also because she wants to make sure she really has Dex before letting go of her security blanket in Cam. She’s Rory Gilmore with Dean, and she’s gonna drag poor Cam’s heart all over the place for way too long. 

1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

I don’t know if I’m just imagining it because MC is out, but Nik seems to be spiraling. It will be interesting to see if they recast or just write him out.

I think he will be offscreen for a while and a little breakdown could be a good cover. It’s weird to think this story might play out without Nikolas but the women in this story, Ava, Esme and even Liz, are far more interesting than he is anyway. 

Edited by racked
  • Like 7
54 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Oh. My. God. Did we really need a fan blowing back Blaze and Chase's hair during their monumentally cheesy song. 🤮 

I want to know when they rehearsed together.

• Like 6
  • Wink 3
11 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I’m actually a bit shocked they are letting Joss cheat on Cameron the way she is, but then I guess she and Dex are the “root for” couple to most of the audience so her trashy actions are excused. You would think they would let her just end things with Cameron and move on with Dex. Why have her cheat and lie?

My guess is that the Joss fans (including the writers) don't care and the writers don't care about the rest of us.

I stumbled across a tweet from the official GH account about whether Drew should tell Carly about Willow being sick, and there was so much support for Carly not telling Willow that Nina is her mother. Not anger at Carly for hiding it even though Willow told her she wants to know but blame on Drew for keeping the secret from Carly.

Joss will be forgiven whatever she does.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 7
1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

I love the way MW delivered the “Karma is a bitch” line. Ava is no angel, but she’s 100x better than Carly. 

Because, unlike Carly, Ava owns up to a lot of the shitty things she'd done and doesn't pretend to be the Queen of Port Charles. 

Donna is so sweet and kind.  Clearly doesn't get that from her mother.  The nanny must be rubbing off on her.  Nurture over nature, for sure.

Dante's reaction to winning the ugly sweater contest was funny, but not as funny as Mac's true disappointment. 

OK, I'm confused.  Didn't Heather tell Ryan a few weeks ago that she gave the necklace she stole from him to Esme before giving her up?  But now Ryan thinks Heather still has it?  Did I miss something? 

I hate Spencer and Trina's plan, but kinda love that they're working together.  Let's either move that relationship along or bag it for good.

Joss is trash.  Break up with Cam, you asshole.  He was always too good for you, but now you're just demonstrating that tenfold.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

RIP Sonya Eddy 💔 55 is too young to go.

I will miss MC as Nikolas.  I liked him in the role and thought he had great chem with MW.  He said he was sad about leaving and I’m sad for him.

I have a feeling they will recast.

Today’s Show:  I wasn’t sure if the new Trina would have chem with Nikolas but I definitely saw it today.  Happy I still get to root for Sprina.

Agree with everyone who said Joss’ behavior is gross.  It would be soapy if they made her a legit bad girl, but typical GH the “heroes” are bland, one note, and lack insight.

I usually like Chase but I wish the actor would play his anger with a little more hurt and conflict.  He was so cold to BK as if he never had feelings for her.

Please wrap up the “who’s the momma” storyline with Willow.  It’s dragged on long enough and I’m ready for the pay off and hoping Carly gets dragged by everyone.

Little Donna is so cute!!!  She’s the daughter S&B shoulda had.  Yes I still ship them lol always will❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

OK, I'm confused.  Didn't Heather tell Ryan a few weeks ago that she gave the necklace she stole from him to Esme before giving her up?  But now Ryan thinks Heather still has it?  Did I miss something? 

Last week Heather told Ryan she stole his chain full of trophies to remember him by after they split. When she was getting ready to drop baby Esme off with CPS, the chain broke and some stuff she couldn't find lodged in the blankets.  I gather that's how Esme traced Ryan. (Haven't seen today's episode yet, so they may have added more detail.)

So yes, Heather should have the rest of the chain and contents.

• Useful 5
15 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Is it me to does it seem like someone bts is especially desperate to build a following for Joss/Dex?

More than that, can anyone else recall a Soap with virtually NO couples you can root for? Mac/Felicia feel like an obligatory root because they're Legacy characters. Austin/Maxie was a misfire from day one. Dante/Sam are just kind of...there (and he deserves better than Sorry Sam). Ned/Olivia? No one really cares. Curtis/Portia had potential, then he turned into an insufferable arse and she into a boring, squealing schoolgirl. Sonny/Nina? Old psychos in love. Laura and Kevin haven't been on in ages.

I'm really missing the heat we used to get from Alan/Monica, Luke/Laura and even Robert/Holly (90s iteration). The couples we're stuck with now don't generate as much heat as Lee and Gail Baldwin, sadly.

• Like 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

More than that, can anyone else recall a Soap with virtually NO couples you can root for? Mac/Felicia feel like an obligatory root because they're Legacy characters. Austin/Maxie was a misfire from day one. Dante/Sam are just kind of...there (and he deserves better than Sorry Sam). Ned/Olivia? No one really cares. Curtis/Portia had potential, then he turned into an insufferable arse and she into a boring, squealing schoolgirl. Sonny/Nina? Old psychos in love. Laura and Kevin haven't been on in ages.

I'm really missing the heat we used to get from Alan/Monica, Luke/Laura and even Robert/Holly (90s iteration). The couples we're stuck with now don't generate as much heat as Lee and Gail Baldwin, sadly.

It’s like every couple that shows potential gets blown up by the writing.  The pacing is terrible.  I was watching MB’s YT channel (the interviews are fascinating…MB’s emotions cycle quickly between laughing and crying and his interviewees watch him with guarded amusement) and he and A. Martinez talked about how they used to rehearse and how they had a lot more takes and more character development in the good ol days as compared to now where they very rarely do more then one take.  I think it’s more difficult to create the type of chemistry and connection we use to get with couples of the past (Luke and Laura, Frisco and Felicia, Anna and Duke, Anna and Robert, Lucy and Doc, Sonny and Brenda, Lois and Ned, Alan and Monica, Liz and Lucky, Scrubs!)

Edited by Jenxee
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

I find product placement annoying in general, but ABC/Disney take it to new levels of annoying.

I was joking when I said that duet song was the worst Disney song ever, I forgot about the Disney connection. But now I do believe they got that song out of the garbage bin at Disney.

7 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Dante's reaction to winning the ugly sweater contest was funny, but not as funny as Mac's true disappointment. 

Did I miss something, I thought Dante got 2nd place so I thought when Mac showed up they would give him 1st place. Although I liked both the sweaters ( but Dante's looked like the reindeers were decals not knit, so that would definitely make it ugly)

6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Dante/Sam are just kind of...there (and he deserves better than Sorry Sam

I think they cover the lack of story/connection with toooo much PDA. For some reason it bugs me, like the 2 actors are a little too comfortable being all over each other, if you know what I mean. 

I don't care much for Dex or Joss on their own, but I like them together. I think there is spark, too bad she isn't breaking up with Cam first. #freeCam

• Like 7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, racked said:

I think he will be offscreen for a while and a little breakdown could be a good cover. It’s weird to think this story might play out without Nikolas but the women in this story, Ava, Esme and even Liz, are far more interesting than he is anyway. 

The Hook went after Nikolas once. So they might get him this time where he slips in a coma and stays there until there's a recast.

His dumb ass didn't even report that. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Chase isn’t the worst singer in the world, but he’s far from special. Please, please stop trying to make him happen, Show. You’re running specials, you’re giving discounts, and we still aren’t buying.

So Dex would rather see himself on a hook than see Josslyn get hooked. It’s Christmas, and we’ve been good all year. Can’t we have both??

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Ditto. I wish we had more scenes with them like this, but it would probably feel forced. And I always think Ava is much more gracious about Avery in Carly's life than Carly deserves. You know Carly only grudgingly extends a bit of that back to Ava.

11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Too bad Cameron didn't happen by in time to see his girlfriend making out with a mobster muscleman by the side of the road.

Soap 101! I can't believe there haven't even been close calls with Cam and Joss/Dex. 

10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I loved that. Poor Mac—he really went all out, and for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I really loved this week shows.  I am happy we are finally getting real Sprina scenes because I've had a hard time judging whether the chem is there with this Trina.  I thought yesterday that it really is.  I can't help myself I love Dex and Joss, I do think they are very hot together.  Thrilled that Austin and Maxie "broke up" from whatever that was supposed to be.  I just got such a kick out of watching Heather torment Ryan by dressing him up like a doll and he couldn't do anything about it.  I found a ton to enjoy this week. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ditto. I wish we had more scenes with them like this, but it would probably feel forced. And I always think Ava is much more gracious about Avery in Carly's life than Carly deserves. You know Carly only grudgingly extends a bit of that back to Ava.

Way way way too gracious. Especially when we know that Carly has zero problems keeping parents from their children, like she is doing right this second. 

Carly should be kicked in the teeth, but the writers enjoy rewarding bad behavior.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
On 12/23/2022 at 7:18 AM, 30 Helens said:

Chase isn’t the worst singer in the world, but he’s far from special. Please, please stop trying to make him happen, Show.

The main problem with Chase (as well as the Actor), is that I don't see or hear the love for singing. Rick Springfield and Jack Wagner (despite his issues) seemed to have equal passion for acting and music.  Even John Stamos looked like he enjoyed drumming and the guy was no Ringo Starr.

For some reason I've always loved this obscure Jack Wagner GH duet from back in the day: Jack Wagner and Edie Lehmann

Edited by Winston Wolfe
Better link with no lip synching, Colorized with Bobbie, Felicia and Tony in the Intro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And I always think Ava is much more gracious about Avery in Carly's life than Carly deserves. You know Carly only grudgingly extends a bit of that back to Ava.

Mac missed the judging and was very disappointed.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And I always think Ava is much more gracious about Avery in Carly's life than Carly deserves. You know Carly only grudgingly extends a bit of that back to Ava.

Ava is far too gracious to Carly--moreso by tenfold than Carly would ever be to her.  Remember all the times when Avery was living with her and Sonny and Ava would want to see her kid and Carly made it seem like she was asking for the world and would condescendingly state "it's not your visitation day?"  Because I do.  Fuck Carly.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

The main problem with Chase (as well as the Actor), is that I don't see or hear the love for singing.

Chase isn’t written to be passionate about singing. He only did it to help BL and because he had free time since he got suspended from the PCPD. Lol the main issue for me is that I don’t think he can sing and we are supposed to think he’s talented. It was one thing when he performed at the Nurses Ball because half of them aren’t singers but they’re trying to sell it like he’s genuinely talented. 

2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Ava is far too gracious to Carly--moreso by tenfold than Carly would ever be to her.  Remember all the times when Avery was living with her and Sonny and Ava would want to see her kid and Carly made it seem like she was asking for the world and would condescendingly state "it's not your visitation day?"  Because I do.  Fuck Carly.  

I’ve never seen Carly do something that’s good for the kids if it goes against what she wants. She passed that onto to Michael and I suspect Joss will turn out the same. She’s never been able to give an inch. It’s pathetic and part of me hates that everyone else around her is the bigger person and will think of what’s best for the children because she always benefits from that. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Mac missed the judging and was very disappointed.

You mean like the time that Ava came over and said she wanted to visit Avery but in reality she went to Morgan's room to change his medication.

Yes Carly has been a bitch to Ava but it's not like Ava hasn't been a bitch back to Carly and has harmed her.

Carly did not have custody of Avery. Sonny did. Sonny was the main person that controlled Ava's visitation of Avery.

And at the end of the day, Ava and Carly have come to terms when it comes to Avery going back when Ava asked Carly to watch Avery when she was being stalked by Spencer and Esme.

Carly has been loving and raising Avery even when either Sonny or Ava have been in prison, hospitalized, on the run or being presumed dead. Since the day, Avery had been returned after being kidnapped from Ava at birth.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

More than that, can anyone else recall a Soap with virtually NO couples you can root for?

When the “couple” that I most look forward to seeing on the screen is Heather and Ryan, that says a lot about how the show is writing for couples these days.

13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The singing scenes were the definition of cringeworthy.  JS looked like he was having fun but…yeah, no.

As much as I didn’t like the power-dynamic writing (“I’ll wait in the car”), LW and MW were great to watch in those scenes.  

The Donna/Sasha scene seemed really random, but sweet.

Edited by mbluecpa
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The songs are always dumb, but I guess that is cheaper than buying good songs.  One sort of has to pretend along with them.

They have done too many rounds of Joss and Dex.  It feels like the story should move on, with Cam finding out.  Soap law requires that Cam find out first - that's why she is putting off the breakup.  It would be great if Cam were more relieved than angry.

• Like 5

I can't even really talk about Chase's singing or express an opinion on how good he is at it, because every time they've had him do it, it hasn't sounded human to me. The vocal has been so processed and artificially sweetened that it distances me from the scene, because it isn't realistic for the surroundings. They'll have him in an ordinary room giving an impromptu performance and what we hear is as studio-contrived as a Britney record. Then, everyone is standing around grinning like an idiot and talking about what a phenomenal voice he has. 

I liked it better when I only had to get through this stuff once a year at the NB.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
Just now, dubbel zout said:

I can barely get through that I have such secondhand embarrassment for everyone.

It used to be so much better when the show first started the Nurses Ball-the skits, Robin, Maxie, and Georgie singing “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” to Mac; Ned saving the performance after a stoned Alan dropped Robin; when all the doctors from Port Charles did their “Broadway” number; and yes, as cheesy as it was, Lucky and Luke with Taggert in their rendition of “Jailhouse Rock” which I loved.

Frank’s iteration of bringing it back SUCKED MAJOR MONKEY BALLS.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It used to be so much better when the show first started the Nurses Ball-the skits, Robin, Maxie, and Georgie singing “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” to Mac; Ned saving the performance after a stoned Alan dropped Robin; when all the doctors from Port Charles did their “Broadway” number; and yes, as cheesy as it was, Lucky and Luke with Taggert in their rendition of “Jailhouse Rock” which I loved.

I didn’t think it was good then either tbh. It was always a cringe fest and I just ffwed scenes to get to whatever actual story was happening that week 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

The main problem with Chase (as well as the Actor), is that I don't see or hear the love for singing. Rick Springfield and Jack Wagner (despite his issues) seemed to have equal passion for acting and music.  Even John Stamos looked like he enjoyed drumming and the guy was no Ringo Starr.

For some reason I've always loved this obscure Jack Wagner GH duet from back in the day: Jack Wagner and Edie Lehmann

But Chase doesn't love singing. It's the whole point of this story. He doesn't want to be a singer, he wants to be cop.

53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have never sat through one Nurses' Ball (including the early ones) without cringing to hell and back. It has always been embarrassing start to finish IMO.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

The main problem with Chase (as well as the Actor), is that I don't see or hear the love for singing. 

I assume the actor is trying to build a singing career, and the show is trying to help him with that, hoping it will bring in more fans. They’re both deluded.

5 hours ago, CeChase said:

I can't help myself I love Dex and Joss, I do think they are very hot together.  

I can’t stand either character, so the hotness eludes me. I don’t even find Dex actor attractive; he’s just a generic soap pretty boy with nothing special to offer.  

I also find their kissing scenes a bit awkward— they’re supposed to look like they’re overcome with passion, but Joss always looks like she’s trying to get away. She bends backwards and puts her hands on his face like she’s trying to push him back. He looks into it, she looks like she’s being strangled.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4

Everyone seems to be bashing Josh Swickard for his singing.  Something must be wrong with my ears because I think his voice is perfectly fine.  There are many, many singers out there with recording contracts that sound worse than him.  I don't particularly care for the style of songs they have him singing and the songs themselves have been pretty bad.   I agree with what someone posted earlier.  Having lip-syncing to a studio production of the song is just dumb.  

That being said, I cannot wait for the writers to move him out of this storyline.   Rather than have that panel "take another look" at his case in the Spring, I wish the writers would have had Chase reinstated at the beginning of year,  with a year's probation.  No need to delay it to wrap up this business wish Brook Lynn's songs.   Wouldn't be the 1st time a storyline was dropped.  Actually, they probably could have done it in one scene.

• Like 8
  • Love 2