Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

The Sonny/Michael scenes were so bad.  Between MB having a hard time remembering his lines to CD making his patented "I've got stomach cramps" face, there was nothing to like in them.  And then EM comes storming in with her Carly Jr. smugface and I'm like...why does the lord test me like this?

Also, Dante?  "Joss has good instincts?"  JFC, this fucking show.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Could someone explain to me as though I'm 5 how Sonny is the hero of this show? He is just not a good person.

Yeah, I guess "all around good guy" Mike is a thing of the past. Wondering what Nina would think about her Honey threatening torture? Aunt Liesel would approve, to be sure.

4 hours ago, ciarra said:

I was disappointed with his lack of creativity in torture devices.  Just a common butcher knife that you could buy at Walmart?  Bo-ring.

Reminds me of that episode of 24 when one of Jack Bauer's cronies had a real torture kit. But Jack? He could torture a guy with a bag of Cheetos and an old bubble gum wrapper.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Ava's worried for Trina's safety, yet she thinks it's okay for her to hang out with Sonny's step-daughter. 

Trina should be outraged that she got the internship, beating out other candidates, just because she had connections. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
9 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Reminds me of that episode of 24 when one of Jack Bauer's cronies had a real torture kit. But Jack? He could torture a guy with a bag of Cheetos and an old bubble gum wrapper.

I want to see Sonny’s torture kit. I bet it’s full of gummi bears. Put them on a string and bounce them over the victim’s face until they giggle themselves to death. ‘Cause Sonny’s the sadist with a heart of gold and a pocketful of candy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
8 hours ago, ciarra said:

Trina should be outraged that she got the internship, beating out other candidates, just because she had connections. 

This x 1,000. Tells me everything I need to know about the writers. In fact this very thing has been applied to the casting on this show. LWB got a job because of who is in a relationship with. Cam Mathison and Josh Kelly got a job because they have a direct line to FV. Got nothing to do with story or thinking they could be great for a role.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Could someone explain to me as though I'm 5 how Sonny is the hero of this show? He is just not a good person.

But he will go to any lengths to protect his people. That's what matters.

Sonny appeals to those attracted to authoritarianism (as opposed to the rule of law). It doesn't matter what Sonny does to outsiders because he will defend and protect his family and his friends right or wrong.  It's the same thinking that makes people cheer Carly for keeping the secret of Willow from Nina because Nina deserves it for her actions. While I get comfort from thinking that the same rules apply to everyone, they like knowing that there is a strongman who will protect them no matter what.

Not at a 5 year old level but that's the jist of it

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Spencer has found out that BigBoy Jail is totally not the same as Baby Jail. he looks like he was rode hard and put away wet. he doesn't want Sheffield to intervened. Nik hasn't tried to visit Spencer at all. geeze. later he gets beat up w/books. Poor Books :(

Nik starts to give Finn attitude. Finn has no time for him. 

Val and Anna are having cotius afterglow

Sonny, who has someone tied up, beaten up and was gonna have him carved like a turkey flat out tells Nina "Nik is a bad person, and toxic.' honestly. this bs is bs. 

i am so tired of CLQ.  #FreeChase.

Nina was on and she was really funny lol. 

• Love 3

WOW there was a lot of sexual innuendo / inferences today.

ETA: * not that I'm complaining

also I don't think I'd leave the hospital with a giant wound wearing  white LOL!

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • LOL 3

I now know that there is something very wrong with BLQ. Girlfriend's brain cells have been completely burned away by this obsession she has with singing. I don't know how you don't wanna tap that, but what do I know. 

The other stuff with her was off putting. BL has completely taken over every aspect of Chase's life and he isn't allowed to set boundaries or he sets them and BL tramples them like it's no biggie. Not exactly attractive in a relationship. I feel like we're looking at another version of Cam/Joss.

Wouldn't it have been better to have pay the warden to put Spencer in solitary rather than gen pop? I bet he misses country club jail, but I hope we're not going to deal with some rape storyline. 

Nina strutting out of the hospital room was kind of funny. 

Nikolas needs to be punched in the face repeatedly. I don't love Finn, but Nikolas needs a serious attitude adjustment. Looking forward to Esme popping back up in town with his bun in the oven to torture the hell out of him.

I know I'll regret typing this.

• Wink 1
  • Love 10

I was going to comment that it’s weird we haven’t seen anything of Diane in recovery, but she’s apparently still in surgery. Just how long has she been in surgery? It seems like more than a day

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 4

I am tired of these men who think that they have the right to speak for women under the guise of protecting them. Yesterday it was Curtis with Trina ("I'm not to apologize for wanting to keep you safe:) and today it was Finn fighting with Nik, who has had a much longer relationship with Liz than he himself has.

Nina's fake jealousy over Valintin was well done.

How many hours is Diane in surgery? She went in the previous afternoon and people are already going to for brunch.

I am starting to like Selena.

No one has gone to see Spencer before? Not Aunt Alexis who knows what that prison is like, not Cam who said that he would visit? No wonder Spenser is such easy prey for Victor.

Way to make Chase/BLQ really boring, show. And why is Brook Lynn so obsessed with keeping Chase's voice pure? It's not like he is going to keep singing professionally after the scam is over.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, DanaK said:
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I am starting to like Selena.

Selena is scary. A very calm mob boss but willing to use violence and who helps someone  in order to suck them into her web later

Yes to both comments! Mrs. Woo has a Mob boss swagger to her. You'd never see her lose her cool like Sonny. Always poised, always in control. Best Lady Mobster since Faith Roscoe. I just can't see sweet Ava as a Mob Boss anymore, even though she can still be deadly. Does Ava even have a Mob Organization or was that absorbed by Sonny or Mrs. Woo?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

No one has gone to see Spencer before? Not Aunt Alexis who knows what that prison is like, not Cam who said that he would visit? No wonder Spenser is such easy prey for Victor.

that's what i've been saying. he went to jail and everyone else is like "whelp! okay then." it's actually rather pathetic (okay to be fair, there is a Mad Hooker running around, but still)

23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I am tired of these men who think that they have the right to speak for women under the guise of protecting them. Yesterday it was Curtis with Trina ("I'm not to apologize for wanting to keep you safe:) and today it was Finn fighting with Nik, who has had a much longer relationship with Liz than he himself has.

like i said, imo i think that's normal. i don't think you should apologize for wanting to keep someone safe. I don't think it's a man speaking for a woman thing because quite frankly if a woman did it, I'd still say the same thing. "Good." 

I'll flat out admit i barely paid any attention to the show LOL so i don't really remember what Finn + Nik were actually saying- but... i personally don't feel that the length of knowing someone mitigates how much you feel for someone. simply that you felt for them longer.  (and again i wasn't paying attention at all but basically i thought Finn was saying it was Liz's decision to speak up and Finn gave her that support so just blow it out your rear, Nik). if there was anything more that. then i don't mind being wrong. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The Sonny/Michael scenes were so bad.  Between MB having a hard time remembering his lines to CD making his patented "I've got stomach cramps" face, there was nothing to like in them.  And then EM comes storming in with her Carly Jr. smugface

Why do Michael and Joss hug like they haven't seen each other for years?  I have a brother, can't recall hugging him, ever. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I remember the good old days when Chase was a real man, a detective on the police force and a real hunk. They have reduced him to a silly teenager and taken away his manhood. I hate this for him and for us.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I remember the good old days when Chase was a real man, a detective on the police force and a real hunk. They have reduced him to a silly teenager and taken away his manhood. I hate this for him and for us.

Yeah, it's definitely giving Assman Landers, Part 2. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

i don't think you should apologize for wanting to keep someone safe.

I don't think you should apologize for wanting to keep someone safe, either, but what some of these men (not only men, Carly has a tendency towards this as well) should apologize for is trying to arrange people's lives for them behind their backs.

Like, talk to Trina first, is that so hard?

• Love 8

Cynthia Watros was having some fun today.  In her scene with Mo, Nina and Sonny kiss and then are interupted by Selena.  Cynthia reaches over and smoothes down the front of Mo's jacket which clearly caught him off guard, because it made him look down at himself and then look up at her in confusion.  I had to rewind because it was clearly an ad lib and it was funny.  

Then when Nina runs into Valentin and gives kudos to VAnna for being togehther, Valentin says something about pretending to be jealous so Nina plays along giving Anna some line about 'get away from my man' in some weird accent.  

Then she heads over to Ava's room and   , when Ava tells Nik that she's staying with Nina and not going to windemere, she does this little sashay thing as she's going out the room with Ava.  

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

also I don't think I'd leave the hospital with a giant wound wearing  white

Well, in her defence, she's been all stitched up and bandaged so there is no reason why she'd suddenly spring a leak and bleed all over herself!  My problem was the tight pants and heels.  I'm assuming getting hooked in the gut is probably pretty similar to a C section and I guarantee you I left the hospital in the loosest pants and slippers!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 10
37 minutes ago, Daisy said:

like i said, imo i think that's normal. i don't think you should apologize for wanting to keep someone safe. I don't think it's a man speaking for a woman thing because quite frankly if a woman did it, I'd still say the same thing. "Good." 

I'll flat out admit i barely paid any attention to the show LOL so i don't really remember what Finn + Nik were actually saying- but... i personally don't feel that the length of knowing someone mitigates how much you feel for someone. simply that you felt for them longer.  (and again i wasn't paying attention at all but basically i thought Finn was saying it was Liz's decision to speak up and Finn gave her that support so just blow it out your rear, Nik). if there was anything more that. then i don't mind being wrong. 

The length of knowing someone doesn't mitigate feelings for them but it also doesn't give Finn the right to tell a longtime friend of Liz's to stay out of her life without her permission.. That's for Elizabeth to decide.

Curtis's "I'm not going to apologize for caring about you and getting you fired from Ava's gallery" was a "Sorry, not sorry".

You can worry about a person  and still not try to run their life  It would have been better for Curtis to say 'I'm sorry I arranged this without consulting you, I'm still learning how to be a stepparent to a young woman and I care about you."  That would have been an actual apology and more appropriate since he did it without the knowledge of either of her parents.

It would have been more useful to Trina if Curtis had sat down with her and both of them assessed together the potential danger of continuing to work at the gallery. Trina is 19 so while she may not make the most mature decisions, she is a legal adult and deserves to be involved in decisions about her life. Curtis shouldn't be treating her like she's 9, especially since she has a father she is close to and who has the skills and knowledge to protect her.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Melgaypet said:

I don't think you should apologize for wanting to keep someone safe, either, but what some of these men (not only men, Carly has a tendency towards this as well) should apologize for is trying to arrange people's lives for them behind their backs.

Like, talk to Trina first, is that so hard?

from what I remember (from yesterday). Curtis was all "you should fire Trina." i didn't like that because that was dumb for the reasons he stated. but between Ava and he they came up with a solution that kept Ava safe (because Ava did point out her smaller gallery wouldn't have had the security necessary to keep them safe), Trina safe, and Trina wouldn't miss a beat with her studies etc. [i'll also be dead honest, I have no idea what strings Curtis had to get her the mentorship at the Chuck - maybe Ava thought to make it all Curtis think it would win brownie points]

Trina got ticked off because she's an adult, she lives in the dorms, she carries pepper spray. Which cool beans, but that doesn't really mean squat when it comes to this Hooker  (and as my mom always says- no matter how old you are, you're always someone's child, dependent etc). like yeah. sometimes when they  get all."hey you have zero idea how to live your life" it gets kind of "are you serious about this right now?" but when someone is making arrangements to protect you the best they can from a serial killer, (to me personally) that's not really the time to beat your chest and start blurting out Miss Independent either. 

8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Curtis's "I'm not going to apologize for caring about you and getting you fired from Ava's gallery" was a "Sorry, not sorry".

well she didn't get fired. because Ava didn't fire her. Ava closed down the gallery until the hooker is caught. (and as i stated - in this case I'd fully burst out a Sorry, Not Sorry here too).  Like what you said sure- that could totally work too and should probably have been (or later be ) said - but i think during the ... baby fight so to speak - that's blunt. and i mean I hate Curtis so no biases or anything here. i think ultimately that's what I would have said in that situation. I will say that the two of them (with Portia and Taggert) should sit down and talk about Curtis's role in her life as well. (which won't happen because why be adult).

I guess other thing is that Ava was also part of it.  but no one is saying "ava shoulda left that decision up Portia and Taggert too." all the heat is on Curtis [ultimately again because this is basically settting up the crap storyline of them being related - where as when it was a month ago and Curtis was busting his butt trying to get Trina off, she was all "thanks for having my back." and a lot of the stuff he was doing he never talked to her before he did it either everything was basically after the fact]. 

23 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Yeah, I guess "all around good guy" Mike is a thing of the past. Wondering what Nina would think about her Honey threatening torture? Aunt Liesel would approve, to be sure.

Or even just a rag.  I remember on episode of 24 where jack threatened to force feed a common cloth rag to some miscreant if he don’t talk.  The idea was that he would then slowly pull the rag back out.  Which would bring the man’s stomach lining out with it.  Leaving him to die I’m agony over days as his stomach acids ate him alive from the inside.

• Love 3

I swear, everytime I come back randomly to watch, there's an MB fanfiction scene desperately trying to make him out to be a hardass that all the wimmen want.  This show, man.  

Edited by JNavarro
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Cynthia Watros was having some fun today.  

It was nice. More of this please. There is very little fun in this show. The little bit with VAnna was cute and well done. As was the bit of sass she showed when Ava refused to go home with Nic.

It's little character beats like those that are missing. Everyone just careens from plot point to plot point.

I'm also intrigued by Valentine's idea to loop Nina in... Maybe he'll convince Victor to let Nina visit Charlotte and arrange an escape that way.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

I'm also intrigued by Valentine's idea to loop Nina in... Maybe he'll convince Victor to let Nina visit Charlotte and arrange an escape that way.

The perfect excuse to get Nina out of town. She can enjoy a good baguette with camembert, croissants and drink a good café au lait while Willow lands in the hospital with her only donor on the other side of the ocean, and is hopefully unreachable. 

It's funny how they shelved that storyline while Carly goes traipsing around Jacksonville and screams at people about a cemetery everyone already agreed to move. The power of the Carly knows no bounds!

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3

It'd be far easier to ask for a few days so Carly can move Virginia to another cemetery but what can we expect from a woman who thought selling property she owned to finance the purchase of stock was a better financial move than getting a loan from a bank. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

It'd be far easier to ask for a few days so Carly can move Virginia to another cemetery

But it has to be that cemetery.  In Virginia's hometown, near the beach. <rme>

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

It's funny how they shelved that storyline while Carly goes traipsing around Jacksonville

I think the story was on hold because of CDs health issues.  It's one thing to replace Michael for a day or so here and there, but they wouldn't want a replacement for a big story like this.  

• Love 1

I don't get Brook and Chase's plan.  They want Link to want to sign Chase (which he already wants) and then Chase will sign with him and then retire, leaving him high and dry.  Thats what they said.  Do they not understand what signing a contract means? And even if he could just sign and quit, how does that really hurt Link?  I'm confused.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Have you seen the atrocity Phyllis wore to her daughter’s sad, tiny vow renewal on Y&R? I agree that this dress wasn’t flattering to Nina’s figure but I’ve seen worse!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I don't really think this, but Sonny could be the (attempted) killer.  Ava, not much going on now, but she has fought him on custody in the past, did try to kill him and did kill Connie.  Not much of a motive on Brando, but if that were an aborted attack on Joss, the stepdaughter who disavowed him. And Diane, the attorney who dared to cross examine him after he told Scott to put him on the stand.  He's short and old and has always had someone (Jason) to do his dirty work, so it makes sense that he might not the most effective hooker in the world.

Future victims: Carly, Michael, Alexis, Curtis (for daring to say their friendship was one-sided)

• Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't get Brook and Chase's plan.

My understanding, from what BLQ said, is that this super secret, highly masterful, stunningly brilliant plan is all to make Linc ...feel disappointed. Oooh burn. Well worth throwing away Chase's career and their relationship over. Good Lord.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, Daisy said:

I don't think it's a man speaking for a woman thing...

Except it's exactly that.  Curtis is a man and Trina is a woman.

On 9/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, Daisy said:

...because quite frankly if a woman did it, I'd still say the same thing. "Good." 

Responding the same way if the situation were reversed doesn't really nullify the sexism/misogyny of the original situation.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
22 hours ago, JNavarro said:

I swear, everytime I come back randomly to watch, there's an MB fanfiction scene desperately trying to make him out to be a hardass that all the wimmen want.  This show, man.  

This is sadly what a lot of people want. It’s depressing to read Insta comments because they’re all berating Sonny for not murdering people who get in his (or Carly’s way) and moaning about how the old Sonny would have already killed Nina. Romance, truly. 

Trina being a brat to Curtis doesn’t bother me because I can’t stand him now, but I don’t like that they’re making her unlikable while acting like she’s right. It’s very Joss-lite. And I’m a little surprised she hasn’t visited Spencer. I know she told him she was done with him but last we saw her was running to the police station to try to say goodbye to him when she found out he believed her all along. I shouldn’t expect any emotional consistency on this show though. 

Edited by racked
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

No Carly or Drew, no college-age set (other than Spencer), no Curtis/Portia drama, no Dex, no Cody or Spinelli. I didn't have to FF once, though the CLQ scenes made me twitch a little. 

Nina had some good scenes. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what comes next with Vanna's machinations. 

Does anyone know when Genie is supposed to return?

• Love 2

As much as I enjoy Vanna's sexy spy times, Anna and Valentin seem much too eager to involve civilians in their plans. First Anna bullies and strong-arms Lucy into working Mistuh Sheffield, now they want to drag Nina into this too??? Nothing about Nina says she'd be any good at covert ops, and I wonder why Vanna thinks she would be willing to go along.

If anything, they should be looking to partner with Sonny. Maybe Spinelli or Brick could get intel without raising red flags, Sonny would be willing to help - Victor killed one of his best friends and has no qualms about taking out Laura, whom Mooby respects and cares about.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1

Sonny is already in enough storylines - if they have to pull someone else in, they should pull in Robert (who was an actual spy) or even Mac. If the writers were clever, they'd be able to pull in Chase who has nothing to do at the moment. Just anyone but Sonny, his children, or anyone who birthed any of his children. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Me neither.  He'll sign with Linc, then quit?  Do these twits know what a contract is?

But Chase doesn't really want to be a singer, so Linc wouldn't be able to make him perform or risked being shutdown from performing like Brooklyn was before Nelle slashed her throat.

"ForMIDable" must have been on someone's word-of-the-day toilet paper. It keeps turning up in dialogue. 

When Elizabeth told Ava that she had only seen Nikolas in love one other time before he met Ava, at first I was thinking she meant Gia. We have had a few Gia mentions recently. But then I thought, oh that's right: Emily. There's no one else she could have meant.

I definitely think they led us to believe the Tyler version of Nikolas was in love a few other times, including with Liz herself.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, Tenshinhan said:

Except it's exactly that.  Curtis is a man and Trina is a woman.

Responding the same way if the situation were reversed doesn't really nullify the sexism/misogyny of the original situation.

like i said I personally don't feel that it was sexist or misogynistic. 

• Love 3

At last, Diane is out of surgery. I guess the Hooker's technique is improving for her to need so much time in the OR.

Ugh, the "banter" between Drewfus and Carly is painful.

Yay, Cyrus is back! I missed that crazy bastard, even though he didn't do nearly enough damage to Sonny.

Kristina giving Sonny a hard time is always a treat to watch.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8