Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Eat crow, Michael and you too Drew. You get what you deserve when you bounce ideas off dipshits, their karma becomes yours.

I'm assuming that Aurora's stock is going to pull a crypto and plummet. How much is Carly's half of the hotel is worth now, I wonder. Nothing and nothing? Negative nothing?

Sending Valentin, Ned and Lucy love and hugs. 

LW's hair looked gorgeous, but it doesn't change my hatred of Carly.

Wylie is so cute, waking his mom at the crack of dawn for pancakes. No he's not. He's a brat. The wannabe cute Wylie stories always make me roll my eyes and rue the day Nelle came to town.

They managed to make me hate everything BL and Chase. Nothing romantic going on. She's a hot head and he's a push-over on the verge of losing his job. Way to go, writers! Way 👏 to 👏go 🤡

Cody needs to go under the sun. Pasty doesn't begin to describe it. And he has remarkably hairless legs. The whole boxers situation was not very attractive. Did they need to have him take his pants off. The bruises were on his ribcage, not his legs.

Drop dead already, Willow, so that we can move that story along. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

More nonsense about how spoiled Wiley is as if it's the cutest thing ever. It's okay to say no to that stupid kid. The dolts really are terrible parents.

Lucy was right that the Qs should give Valentin a big round of applause. He kept ELQ running and successful. They benefited even if they didn't like him being CEO. All of them can STFU about how evul he is. 

The color of Carly's dress was fantastic on LW. The dress itself is a bit of a dud, IMO. That twist on the hip isn't flattering.

8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

BLQ/Chase/Linc is a complete waste of time.  And if Chase has so little control of himself, maybe he really shouldn't be in the police department.  (Hint: beating up people for Brook Lynn is not romantic.)

I know! Why isn't Jordan making him take an anger-management course at the very least? So dumb.

6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Drop dead already, Willow, so that we can move that story along. 

Seriously. Have her secretly get checked out at GH so she has an idea of what's going on, but she keeps it from her dolt husband because he has enough problems. Make this story resemble a soap, Show! I'll never understand the writers.

18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nice tease that Carly is going to lose her share of the Metro Court but I'm sure that Michael and Sonny between them will bail her out.

Same, but it's fun to watch her squirm for as long as it lasts. (I take it where I can get it, alas.)

• Love 7

Oh my god the entire episode was worth suffering through to see Michael and Drew’s boo boo faces when Ned and Lucy voted against them. Suck it Michael!  And since they made a big deal about it I guess Carly is going to lose a shit load of money too and possibly the hotel?  Good. It never sticks, so I’m going to enjoy these two losing when I can. 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

LW's hair looked gorgeous, but it doesn't change my hatred of Carly.

Her hair is always amazing, but today was an especially good hair day. 

37 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Wylie is so cute, waking his mom at the crack of dawn for pancakes. No he's not. He's a brat. The wannabe cute Wylie stories always make me roll my eyes and rue the day Nelle came to town.

I was thinking the same thing!  Like that’s not cute at all. Send him back into his room or put on paw patrol or something. I mean all kids are brats at times but it’s like these two dimwits encourage it.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

BLQ/Chase/Linc is a complete waste of time.  And if Chase has so little control of himself, maybe he really shouldn't be in the police department.  (Hint: beating up people for Brook Lynn is not romantic.) Why doesn't she just write more songs that Linc doesn't own?

Well both times Chase punched someone, it was because they were basically calling BLQ  a whore or basically insinuating that. To be frank - I don't know anyone in my life who would just sit there and let someone call me that and just all Buddha and walk and let it go. If it wasn't a punch, or a slap, it would be an ear blistering. (and then it would probably be a big ole screaming match anyway).  Even if you romance the stupid romance angle (and with them it is stupid) - as a friend I am glad he has her back. especially when the first time everyone was basically just standing there looking at Val calling BLQ a whorey slut and being all "go on."

Also also I'll say for me it's just tedious. I don't need classic soap fights, and slaps and punches and stuff lie that all the time but i it is boring that every time time someone does anything it''s "ooh call the cops." where as before it was just good, soapyy yelling, fighting, and threats where it never went anywhere but you knew you were going to get a lot of soapy quips out of it. Now it's. "punch" I'm gonna sue. "Punch." "call the cop." boring, snoring. 

• Love 3

Why would “friend of Dante” possibly know Faison. Poor great villain’s name being used in vain to prop up trash.

Poor Britt, now she has to lie to her only best friend who lies to her in return.

It’s summer, soap - where’s the fun in the sun???

Always happy to see Lucy. Who would buy half of Metro Court, did they say?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
45 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

More nonsense about how spoiled Wiley is as if it's the cutest thing ever. It's okay to say no to that stupid kid. The dolts really are terrible parents.

In the wise words of the Oompa Loompas: "Who do you blame when your kid is a brat?  Pampered and spoiled like a siamese cat.  Blaming the kid is a lie and a shame.  You know exactly who's to blame: the mother and the father."

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

Oh that last 30 seconds today was GLORIOUS!!

No merger=no$$$=SHEBEAST loses her share of the hotel.

Me: (until Mooby bails her out):🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

LW's hair looked gorgeous,

highlight of the show, and LW looked great in tourquoise, she even out shone LLC

47 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Who would buy half of Metro Court, did they say?

Some investment group, but they didn't say who that was.  Maybe Celina Wu?? Now we know what she does to people who get involved financially with her 😆

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Oh my god the entire episode was worth suffering through to see Michael and Drew’s boo boo faces

Haha Michael looked like he realized he just pooped in his pants!!  Why does Willow have to hang around behind him,

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Blackie said:
57 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Who would buy half of Metro Court, did they say?

Some investment group, but they didn't say who that was.

They gave a name, but I don't remember what it was. Carly also said she had 30 days to buy back the MetroCourt, so it wasn't a completely done deal just yet.

7 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Why does Willow have to hang around behind him,

They are One, don'tcha know.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They gave a name, but I don't remember what it was. Carly also said she had 30 days to buy back the MetroCourt, so it wasn't a completely done deal just yet.

the Sterling group?
It started w/an S for sure

• Useful 1

Will Carly crawl to Sonny?! I hope he doesn't bail her out. Who could Sterling Group be other than Mrs. Wu, Victor C, or Sonny himself. Wait, doesn't Nina also have a ton of money? OMG, if it was Nina, I. WOULD. DIE.  

Cody has zero chemistry with anyone. Not even Brit or Dante, who can usually get a vibe going with just about anyone. Oh, and now I know where all of Willow's make up went today ~Cody looked like his whole body was slathered in two shades darker foundation. 

Chase and Brooklyn's never-ending circular flirtation angst, coupled with his stupid career-killing punches, and her juvenile capers have officially landed them on my fast forward list. Excruciating!   

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This show so rarely gives me what I want but today it was like my birthday..not only did Michael and Carly lose but in such a beautiful day. As much I like Lucy and Martin I wouldn't be upset if Ned turned to Lucy when you know Olivia leaves him for being .want to Carly's son.

Is it wrong that I want Nina and Ava to co own the company that bought Carly's shares...

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I haven't seen watched today yet, but sounds like it's worth it for Carly losing and Lucy triumphing.

Previews..but why is Carly already smug in the previews?  I really hope she's just putting on a brave face for Joss.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe she hasn’t heard that she no longer owns the Metro Court?

i guarantee you that clip she doesn't know. 
I can not wait until she does. teeeheee hee. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I would think that ELQ stock would go up with Valentin still as CEO (since he was doing a good job) and that the stupid merger with Aurora didn't go through. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Love 6

Given Olivia is a bitch to Nina in the preview, I REALLY want Nina to buy the MetroCourt from that Stonehenge Group (or whatever the fuck its name is).  That would make both her and especially Carly's heads explode--couldn't happen to two more deserving people.

Speaking of deserving, the looks on Michael and Drew's faces when Ned voted no--and then Lucy voted no?  *Chef's kiss.*  Those two really thought they were the two smartest businessmen in PC and them getting their asses handed to them was delightful.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Daisy said:

Dante: rage mcragerson about Britt and how it's crazy she's a doctor, and her parents are like scummy bad people too!*

Normally I would agree with you and I love Britt, but Britt did Dante (and Lulu) wrong, with the whole Rocco thing, so he has every right to hate Britt every day and twice on sundays.  Doesn't mean his father isn't a douchebag.  

Why was Willow at the shareholder's meeting?  She's not a shareholder.  

Now, it's been a long time since I've been in a math class, but I don't understand the breakdown of the votes.  How does Ned/Valentin equal Michael/Drew/all other proxies?  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I thought she was there to drop behind the couch like a sack of potatoes after that dizzy spell in the stairs.

Alas.

• LOL 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Given Olivia is a bitch to Nina in the preview, I REALLY want Nina to buy the MetroCourt from that Stonehenge Group (or whatever the fuck its name is).  That would make both her and especially Carly's heads explode--couldn't happen to two more deserving people.

I wonder if she already has. That line from Olivia in the preview to the effect of "Why do you think you have a right to be here" smacks of a classic setup for a Dynasty-esque response, e.g. "Because I own 51 percent of this company!" 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Wylie is so cute, waking his mom at the crack of dawn for pancakes. No he's not. He's a brat.

A spoiled brat. The dolts are ruining that kid. He was better off with Lucas.

2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

But she needs Michael to exist. He and Carly have sucked so much life out of her, she vanishes if she's not around Michael or Wylie.

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I’m going to cringe if Olivia goes off on Ned for his vote in favor of her bestie Carly. 

"I never bet on a certainty," (tm Professor Challenger)

I guess the writers gave Olivia the "the Quartermaine family stands together" speech Wednesday so that she can attack Ned for not being a good family member.

• Love 4

I'm glad that the show is having Chase face some consequences for his violence and not just shrugging it off.  I agree upthread that he should also be placed in anger management.

This Britt/Brad/Cody/Faison/Selina story looks like it's gonna be a trainwreck.

I laughed at Willow on the stairs.  What a character.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2

i guess ultimately i'll just stay at my table for one here. I don't think that Chase has an issue with violence because he punched someone for literally degrading her entire existence and then called her a whore (or heavily implied it) - the first time in front of her family, while her family was all. "yeah, so continue."  and again I am firmly on the side of the classic soapy open hand slaps, catfights, fist fights and punches. I don't need  them to happen every week, but when they did happen, it was really just an "Ohh, snap!" moment, or you knew it was boiling down to that moment. It happened, and people moved on after it all blew over. 

again i don't know when we moved over from that to everyone needs to be charged and needs anger management for doing classic soapy things. but i personally just think its tedious that it's just the go to every time someone does it. But I do miss them good ole days lol. but ill enjoy my cookies by myself at this table though. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

but ill enjoy my cookies by myself at this table though. 

You're never alone as long as I'm on these Boards, Daisy. Plus, I totes agree with you! Let's split a bag of Famous Amos, love those Chocolate Chips.

• Love 5

You don't punch people just because they say things you don't like.

I can understand the desire for classic soap, but maybe it's really about whether or not soaps should evolve.  Should soaps be more conscious about what kind of content they are putting into the airwaves or just stubbornly cling to the past?  I'm not sure exactly, but I know that holding Chase responsible for his actions feels like a step in the right direction for me.  Especially when the writing still has characters uttering dialogue like "He was defending my honor!" in a completely unironic manner, repeatedly, with seemingly zero awareness of what kind of twisted messages and ideas they are perpetuating.  YMMV.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I'm glad that the show is having Chase face some consequences for his violence and not just shrugging it off.  I agree upthread that he should also be placed in anger management.

Is Chase supposed to be foil for Michael or something?

Michael punches Scott, Scott doesn't press charges. 

Chase punches Valentin and gets suspended from the force for 6 months (and we're really well over that now). And here, I think that Valentin should have had that reversed after he found out the truth about Bailey.  

Michael punches the reporter, bribes him with dirt on Nina and an article to not press charges.

Chase punches Linc and might get fired from the PCPD.

There's only one person facing the consequences of their actions, and while I don't think that Chase has anger issues, I think that the writers are really aiming for the low hanging fruit here. Even in Michael's case.

Chase punched Valentin and Linc because of how degrading they were to BL and Michael punched the reporter because he was getting nasty about Joss and the sex tape.

If the writers want a guy to punch another one in the face, maybe they don't use the old tried excuse of bitchslutwhore to have him do that. If they want to convey that Chase, who is one of the most level-headed characters on the show, has anger issues and a violent streak, then use something else.

It's 2022, but feels like 1950.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9

Everyone who throws a punch feels justified, at least in the moment, and it's not unusual to have at least one friend who agrees with you.

Add to the fact that Chase is a cop, and police brutality is something the country is looking at, and having a lot of disagreement defining -- it's just a bit too much for a show that's not great at social issues to parse right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Finally, Michael has a reason for his perpetual confused/vexed/constipated expression, and for once I really enjoyed it. Now, go away and sulk somewhere where we don’t have to watch.

The story of how Nina saves Willow’s life with a blood transfusion/ organ donation that only a mother could provide has barely begun, and I’m already bored with it. Move it along quickly, please, Show. 

How long did Carly say she has to buy back the hotel? 30 days? So there will be a little “suspense” as she scrambles to come up with the cash, but I have no doubt she will. Carly always prevails, although it it would be more interesting if she didn’t for awhile. I like the idea of Nina gaining control of the hotel, even briefly.

• Love 6

On a better written soap, Carly having to find backers to fund the hotel would lead to Selina Wu offering her the money with strings attached. But on this soap, we know the money will come from either Sonny, Jax, or Michael (using ELQ funds). It's so predictable how the writers generally choose the least soapy option.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

It was Stillwater or Stillwaters Group. 

I've been watching here and there since Jason was killed off (yay!!! hope he never comes back) and can't believe how far less annoying Sonny has become since he's been decoupled from Carly.  I sincerely hope she loses her half of the Metrocourt for good and that Michael and Drew lose, too.

The Laura episode was OK but more flashbacks would have made it better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

On a better written soap, Carly having to find backers to fund the hotel would lead to Selina Wu offering her the money with strings attached. But on this soap, we know the money will come from either Sonny, Jax, or Michael (using ELQ funds). I

It's like, the show has Carly gleefully telling Olivia she committed a crime (insider trading) by buying up the Aurora stock and then will probably not follow thru on there being any consequences, other than she'll have to have one of her sugar daddies (or son) bail her out.  The only 'bad' thing to happen will be the shrew won't get her "family vacation."  Boohoo.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Daisy said:

I don't think that Chase has an issue with violence because he punched someone for literally degrading her entire existence and then called her a whore (or heavily implied it) - the first time in front of her family, while her family was all. "yeah, so continue."  and again I am firmly on the side of the classic soapy open hand slaps, catfights, fist fights and punches.

I have no problem with soapy punches or cat fights, nor do I think Chase needs anger management.  My thing is this is the second time it’s happened, and the first time had consequences so why go to this well again?  I’m bored.

16 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Previews..but why is Carly already smug in the previews?  I really hope she's just putting on a brave face for Joss.

She was smug today as well, and pretty much every day.  I don’t think she knows yet in the previews.  I am legit excited to see next weeks episodes and watch her head explode.  Never count your chickens Carls!

Nina taking over the MetroCourt would be amazing but my money is on Mrs. Wu, Valentin, or maybe Lucy since she has all that coin from the IPO now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, hcs said:

Is it wrong that I want Nina and Ava to co own the company that bought Carly's shares...

Not in the slightest!

14 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I wonder if she already has. That line from Olivia in the preview to the effect of "Why do you think you have a right to be here" smacks of a classic setup for a Dynasty-esque response, e.g. "Because I own 51 percent of this company!" 

If the writers were thinking like soap writers, this would be the case. I am not holding my breath.

4 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Should soaps be more conscious about what kind of content they are putting into the airwaves or just stubbornly cling to the past? 

The former, IMO. A lot of classic soap behavior isn't entertaining these days. I hate women slapping people—it's lazy, and violence is not a viable reply to a mean remark. The show does seem to have dialed back calling women bitch/whore/slut, so credit where credit is due. But it can do better, and it should.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

If the writers want a guy to punch another one in the face, maybe they don't use the old tried excuse of bitchslutwhore to have him do that. If they want to convey that Chase, who is one of the most level-headed characters on the show, has anger issues and a violent streak, then use something else.

Will Smith has just entered the chat.

• LOL 12
46 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I have no problem with soapy punches or cat fights, nor do I think Chase needs anger management.  My thing is this is the second time it’s happened, and the first time had consequences so why go to this well again?  I’m bored.

Because for some reason, the writers have decided that they needed to do these convoluted plots and obstacles at Chase and BLQ on their way to coupledom. Which has been so dumb to watch.

I don't know if they have plans to take Chase out of the force and make him do other things, but this direction with his character is pretty terrible. Talk about a total change of pace from when he and BL were co-parenting Bailey or when recast BL was sleeping on his couch.

I'm bored too.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

that is me. I mean ultimately i was never a fan of CLQ becoming romantic in the first placee and this show legit killed any interest in me becoming one. BLQ won't say anything because Chase might say no. There's no other guy, they aren't doing a Rich v. Poor story, or she had a horrible prior relationship so she needs to learn how to trust. or something to justify why they are moving slower than a stick through mud, why they aren't doing anything at all. the Come to Jesus conversation about where they stand is long overdue and even if they have it i don't care.  Same with Anna and Val.  i don't mind the slow build to romance. -  as long as there is progress. there is none.  [and like as @YaddaYadda said if they are using Chase to show something more sinister or something, then actually go there and do it, and do it yesterday]. 

5 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Should soaps be more conscious about what kind of content they are putting into the airwaves or just stubbornly cling to the past

Well, i already wrote why i didn't. i've always argued why i feel soaps should continue to remember that they did really social impactful stories since they have the longer scope to really go into the little nitty gritties of how it actuallly works/impacts people etc and I can't really talk about the other three since i don't watch them. but I know that GH constantly drops the battle. (Ie: latest example, Marshall having schizophrenia then basically going "yeah no but i had zero problems with it. I just have it." then like why bother?)

but like i said a good soap slap/punch/fight was just a good lead up like a good kiss/love-making scene was. And usually they would say afterwards why that was wrong, why they shouldn't do it etc, etc. so it's not like anyone justified it even if they did have it coming. for me it's what makes it soapy and when it's done right it hits the right beats. There are other shows I can watch when i want the more realistic response to those actions and i'm happy when its there. On a soap. I kinda want to just  appreciate the soapiness of it.  that's just my two pennies though. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

As long as there are people who resort to physical confrontation, it's going to pop up on soaps too. I don't have a problem with someone throwing a punch once in a while. (Hopefully with consequences of some sort.)

The problem with Chase is that it's for BLQ and also totally out of character for him. He's a level-headed good guy. She's not a delicate damsel in distress. Unless this ends up in a therapy session where Kevin tells them to just go rent a room and have sex, I don't see a point in any of it.

Speaking of physical violence, I was seriously uncomfortable with the beating that Cody took. At least that scene served a purpose, with Brad looking on in horror and the audience learning that Selina wasn't handing out gummy bears during her poker games. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I still hate Willow but loved that purple dress she was wearing.  Even with her pale convenientitus face, she looked great in it.  Waiting for it to come up on the blogs so I can track it down lol

Maxie has the worst wardrobe it at least they make up for it with Willow, Ava, Nina and Brita.

• Love 6

I think they had Chase go to the punch again because Michael and the reporter made Michael look bad.  They don't understand that he ALWAYS looks bad, and we will ALWAYS like Chase more.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Selina ordering her guys to beat up Cody was the first really mobby thing that the show has done in a long time. So of course it wasn't with Sonny's mob.

8 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

1850. Or a Barbara Cartland book where the sheik snatches up the heroine onto his horse and rides off with her.

I understand it in terms of the trope, and I'm sure that Willow would just love it if Chase was punching guys out for her. But for me, it infantalizes Brook Lynn. She's going to be encountering people like Linc the rest of her career whether it's in music or business and she needs to learn how to handle them on her own.  Chase punching out Linc leading to Brook Lynn begging Linc to not press charges puts Brook Lynn even deeper in the hole.

To anyone who has experienced family violence where saying the wrong thing gets you a hit, the idea that Chase punching out people is acceptable much less admirable is hard to watch.

7 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Add to the fact that Chase is a cop, and police brutality is something the country is looking at

And this. Not just on the job but in studies of Intimate Partner Violence, cops are #1 on the lists of abusers. (Doctors are #2) When you're writing a cop being violent, you need to be very careful.

I get that the writers are trying to make this romantic between Chase and Brook Lynn but everything since handing baby Bailey to Maxie has been a major fail.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

[and like as @YaddaYadda said if they are using Chase to show something more sinister or something, then actually go there and do it, and do it yesterday]. 

Chase is about as sinister as a golden retriever so if they go there that would be kind of interesting. I don’t see it happening though. 

2 hours ago, Daisy said:
9 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Should soaps be more conscious about what kind of content they are putting into the airwaves or just stubbornly cling to the past

Well, i already wrote why i didn't. i've always argued why i feel soaps should continue to remember that they did really social impactful stories

I think that if GH was truly clinging to its past they would tackle more hot button, controversial issues because that was what they were known for doing back in the day. Domestic violence, abortion, aids, and so many more. Now, GH (and maybe soaps in general I don’t know) won’t touch most issues with a ten foot pole and if they do it’s just glossed over and very superficial like @Daisy said. Marshall’s mental illness, that prejudiced judge lady, etc. I understand why they don’t want to get into anything for a lot of reasons but I think it would be great if they did. 

• Love 7