Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

They apparently think that Carly is the star of the show these days, she's in every storyline whether she should be or not, and since Sonny has moved on they have to give Carly a relationship too.  Heaven forbid that she's alone when he's tied up.

Drew is the only unattached male in the right age bracket, other than possible Dante which would be soapy but squicky, and Grandpa Chase who is recurring as well as too nice a person. Too bad it not only doesn't make sense storywise as well as not havimg any chemistry.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's too bad because, as we discussed at some point, there was a setup here for something a little darker but potentially interesting - Carly, in her grief about Jason and her marriage to Snonny ending, latches on to a moorless Drew who's floundering post-captivity and tries to mold him into her deceased bestie.

But it's all toothpaste smiles and sugar cones.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 9

So I decided to watch Friday’s show because I read that one of my all, no MY FAVORITE Hitchcock movie Notorious was “on” and being discussed, and I fast forwarded all scenes but Anna and Valentin and…😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

Heading out to watch the new Jurassic Park movie to see 🦖 eat STOOPID HOOMANS. Wish Queenie would chomp her way here and eat SheBeast and the SLS. But she’d probably sick them up.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I decided to watch Friday’s show because I read that one of my all, no MY FAVORITE Hitchcock movie Notorious was “on” and being discussed, and I fast forwarded all scenes but Anna and Valentin and…😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

Heading out to watch the new Jurassic Park movie to see 🦖 eat STOOPID HOOMANS. Wish Queenie would chomp her way here and eat SheBeast and the SLS. But she’d probably sick them up.

And SheBeast Jr., for dessert.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I also hated Oscar. He was as vanilla as they came and could have given Michael a run for his money when it came to blandness.

It just felt like a really obvious attempt to recreate the Robin/Stone storyline, but without anything that actually made that storyline great. Oscar was no Stone, and Joss is no Robin.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Does CM have the range to play anything else?  Some actors just play fictionalized versions of themselves.  It worked for James Garner.  He was largely the same on or offscreen.  CM is handsome and fit, but he doesn’t have as much charisma.  BM was the better Drew.

CM played 'captive' in Greece amazingly well.  It made him 'become' Drew?  The comments here were glowing.  When and why did he turn into Carly's lap dog.  Make it stop!

• Applause 4
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Does CM have the range to play anything else?  Some actors just play fictionalized versions of themselves.  It worked for James Garner.  He was largely the same on or offscreen.  CM is handsome and fit, but he doesn’t have as much charisma.  BM was the better Drew.

He should go back to the Hallmark  channel so they can resurrect that Home & Family show. I liked that show and he was good with Debbie Matanopolous (sp?).

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They apparently think that Carly is the star of the show these days, she's in every storyline whether she should be or not, and since Sonny has moved on they have to give Carly a relationship too.  Heaven forbid that she's alone when he's tied up.

Drew is the only unattached male in the right age bracket, other than possible Dante which would be soapy but squicky, and Grandpa Chase who is recurring as well as too nice a person. Too bad it not only doesn't make sense storywise as well as not havimg any chemistry.

Actually, they just announced he’s been put on contract.  Looks like he’s about to be thrown into a romance with Alexis.  Let’s see how that goes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Actually, they just announced he’s been put on contract.  Looks like he’s about to be thrown into a romance with Alexis.  Let’s see how that goes.

As long as Alexis doesn't turn into a simpering 13-year-old as she has improbably done before in new relationships, I could get on board with this.

Did Alexis ever have sex with Finn, though? If so, this would be yet another "slept with son, slept with father" scenario.

Edited by Cassiopeia
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

CM played 'captive' in Greece amazingly well.  It made him 'become' Drew?  The comments here were glowing.  When and why did he turn into Carly's lap dog.  Make it stop!

Apparently a character can only be involved with one story at a time unless you're Carly in which can you have to be involved with all of them. I'm surprised Carly hasn't tried to take custody of Aiden and Jake based on her status as Lucky's cousin and Jason's BFF/ballandchain.  It's been a year since she's been able to add a child to her hoard.

Drew should be having scenes with the Webber boys - he was close to them and Liz and can surely relate to how they're likely feeling unmoored right now as the only parent who has always been there suddenly can't be. Get the character away from Carly and I bet he'll become a lot more interesting. He's Jake's literal uncle but you wouldn't know it from the show. Why hasn't Monica had any input on her grandson's mother and her late daughter's best friend having a mental breakdown? I'm not saying I want a custody battle between Monica and Laura but a scene or even a mention of Monica checking in on Jake would be nice. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

Did Alexis ever have sex with Finn, though?

She did, but it was once in a FWB type of way, and they said that it should go back platonic. Techically it is but it feels different than Sonny (and Ric) sleeping with Alexis and Sam, Ava sleeping with Morgan and Sonny, Jackie with Finn and Gonzo and all the rest.🤷‍♀️

37 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm surprised Carly hasn't tried to take custody of Aiden and Jake based on her status as Lucky's cousin and Jason's BFF/ballandchain.  It's been a year since she's been able to add a child to her hoard.

Don't put that out there! She doesn't care about Lucky (Laura can take Aiden) but Jake is the son of her beloved Jason. I wouldn't put it past her to claim him because of their eternal connection.

• LOL 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

Did Alexis ever have sex with Finn, though? If so, this would be yet another "slept with son, slept with father" scenario.

She sure did. Like mother like daughter, right? Sam, though, is even nastier in my mind, though, because she has had sex with father and son (Sonny and Dante) and is the sister of Kristina who is Sonny's daughter and Dante's sister. Then again, Alexis slept with brothers, as well, in Sonny and Ric. But then, Sam slept with Lucky who is her cousin's brother. Let's just call it a draw. Both are kind of gross if you look at it from a real-world perspective.

Edit: I completely forgot that Sam also had sex with Ric. That means Sam has slept with two sets of brothers. And don't get me started on how she and her mom have slept with at least 3 of the same men...

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I did a list in the History thread, and damn people in PC need to find a new dating pool.

It's not the women's fault that the families in this town have such similar tastes!

If Carly sleeps with Drew she will have had all three of Alan's sons, so gotta update the list.

Edited by ouinason
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I like how it's the women who still get shamed for this stuff when we can just as easily look at the receipts for the men.

I haven't done a tally recently, but I'm sure there's a whole lot of pages about Sonny being able to get a woman pregnant just by looking at her. Does that count?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:
4 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

Did Alexis ever have sex with Finn, though?

She did, but it was once in a FWB type of way, and they said that it should go back platonic. Techically it is but it feels different than Sonny (and Ric) sleeping with Alexis and Sam, Ava sleeping with Morgan and Sonny, Jackie with Finn and Gonzo and all the rest.🤷‍♀️

OK, I'm going to have to compartmentalize and look at it that way. I like Alexis and I like Gregory... there are so few couples I can buy into now. Plus there's no reason Carly should be involved, although I'm sure that will change.

I had hope for BLQ and Chase, but the Groundhog Day writing has ruined them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I haven't done a tally recently, but I'm sure there's a whole lot of pages about Sonny being able to get a woman pregnant just by looking at her. Does that count?

Looking, flashing dimples, slobbering. 

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Will he move his RV into the GH parking lot until he finds a place?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I like how it's the women who still get shamed for this stuff when we can just as easily look at the receipts for the men.

Hey now!  They’re all just awful.

• Love 1

I wonder if they're putting all of these actors on contract so they are assured of having them when they need them. They don't have to have giant guarantees. The actors might want the regular income, even if it isn't that much. Better than wondering when you're be called in to work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

What  monkey with a typewriter dreamed up the Drew character{s}?  I remember Oliver, but the rest I forget, except for Jason{?} climbing the top staircase and hollering I'm the King of the world

Edited by One Tough Cookie
23 hours ago, Suicidy said:

And SheBeast Jr., for dessert.

No . . . I think this is where professional courtesy would come in. She'd be left alone.

3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Looking, flashing dimples, slobbering and mumbling

Fixed that for you.

• LOL 2
On 6/19/2022 at 5:52 AM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Yes!  I think CM can play different roles and emotions. He has hella charisma. And yeah, he’s nice to look at. He did awesome when he was first introduced, and there was a lot of story they could have played out.  I mean dude was held hostage and tortured for years I think that might have messed him up a bit. It would have been interesting to see his process of coming back and struggling. I think Cameron would have been up to it. Unfortunately he hasn’t had a chance and since being back in PC he has been relegated to town therapist/life coach.   It’s a disservice to Cameron and to the viewers. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7

i'll be dead honest. it's not even the fact that Drew's a life coach. i mean Laura does that it's just more of. that's what he's been doing the moment he came from oh I don't know 2 years of captivity. He's been busy making everyone else feel better, He's ot... ha quiet moments of being pissed off, or just.. making it about HIM! moments.

I am also a firm believer of what you say when you are angry/sick is what you truly mean, - Drew shouldn't be blowing air up the Corinthii butt, or eating ice cream at the pool w/carly, she/they should be bending over backwards to try to get him to trust him again (from what i've seen and read). that's the greater disservice. 

i've said often, I really didn't like Ryan Lavery, but CM made Drew so not him. but now that's basically what i am seeing. now Ryan 2.0 and it sucks. 

• Love 8

Okay. I lived in some university towns, so I can understand that some of these programmes are comparable to high end universities/colleges - but  it's like  one or two of them. not all of them. if it was all of them. then you'd be a top end university/college. thus PCU shouldn't be all of that and a bag of chips. but of course it has the hardest renowned psych programme in the land. 

Trina should have been in much more trouble than "Oh yay you did it by yourself." but whatever. 

I want someone to look at me like Valentine looks at Anna

no dipsticks. Happiness. 

• Love 4

Oooh, good cliff-hanger. And not a Corinthos in sight. I'm actually interested in what comes next.

Laura and Martin were delightful. Among all the hires who are fails (Cody, Drew and Peter), Martin is a shining success. Felicia and Mac were great too. I'm not a Valentin/Anna shipper but their scenes were good too.

Victor to Spencer:  "high time you found something more befitting your talents and statures."  Me: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Without a post secondary education and given his talents, how about security guard?

Why is Curtis acting like Trina's father? He's been dating Trina's mother for a hot minute, and her real rather is there. "We haven't been able to help her so far" says Portia pointing to Curtis and herself. A Taggart/Curtis team-up isn't going to make me like Curtis more.

Gestalt therapy? The exaggeration technique is not exaggerating your life to others. However, Kevin's analysis of Ryan as not existing unless through other people was really good. Too bad Esme snowed him for a while, glad he figured it out. And since Ryan is in prison, no Esme, he does not decide who can see him..

49 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Okay. I lived in some university towns, so I can understand that some of these programmes are comparable to high end universities/colleges - but  it's like  one or two of them. not all of them. if it was all of them. then you'd be a top end university/college. thus PCU shouldn't be all of that and a bag of chips. but of course it has the hardest renowned psych programme in the land.

PCU is just the bestest of the best.

The admission policy Esme described sounded similar to the graduate admission at my local university (not undergrad). But if she can't write a paper from scratch in one week, she'll never make it in university.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Laura and Martin were delightful. Among all the hires who are fails (Cody, Drew and Peter), Martin is a shining success.

He really is--and a lot of that can be attributed to MEK.  He's such a pro.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
Just now, statsgirl said:

Victor to Spencer:  "high time you found something more befitting your talents and statures."  Me: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Without a post secondary education and given his talents, how about security guard?

Spencer is dangerously close to becoming another Michael: Relying on family connections that he alternately uses and disdains (or both); a too-high opinion of his abilities; uses other people to do his bidding; etc.

"Want some [popcorn with fake butter topping]?" "No thanks, I'm driving." Heh.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Laura and Martin were delightful. Among all the hires who are fails (Cody, Drew and Peter), Martin is a shining success. 

He is and it's also the fact that unlike the guys you mentioned, and especially Peter, Martin isn't there gobbling up screentime. Plus he's not an uninteresting character and he has a good rapport with all the other characters.

But is his ass about to tattle to Valentin what Laura just told him about getting rid of Victor, because that's a betrayal.

Most of the scenes were good today. Valentin/Anna was good. Kevin/Esme was good. Felicia/Mac was good. Laura/Martin was good. Spencer/Victor was good. Kevin telling Esme that she was no longer working at Spring Ridge made me cackle gleefully.

I would have enjoyed the Trina scenes better if it had been just her, Portia and Taggert, instead I got Trina, her mom and her two dads. Portia is fucking shameless. I'm really enjoying how much of a natural actress nuTrina is. I'd go as far as to say that she's better than the OG.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm really enjoying how much of a natural actress nuTrina is. I'd go as far as to say that she's better than the OG.

I did start to notice more of her RL personality lately, which is giving Trina some of her personality back. So maybe that is just the actress settling in or maybe she has been getting better direction, but the last couple weeks I have like her more.  Plus I think she is really good with Taggert so more scenes with he dad please.

43 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The admission policy Esme described sounded similar to the graduate admission at my local university (not undergrad). But if she can't write a paper from scratch in one week, she'll never make it in university.

Pretty much anyone can get into an undergrad Psych program. First year classes have hundreds of students so no place is asking students to submit a case study.  In GH world she will go to PCU for 1 year and come out a full fledged Psychologist 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Tomorrow will be preempted by the hearings.

Hmmm we have to wait on this cliff hanger??  Good to see NLG!!! 

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

PSA - this is a new episode - but my PVR isn't recording it. this might impact other people. 

It caught me as well. I neglected to check this morning to see if my DVR was going to record it. I’ll have to catch it on Hulu tonight

The next episode is Laura centric for Genie’s 45th GH anniversary.

Unpopular Opinion 1: Anna is wasted on Valentin.

Unpopular Opinion 2: If Carly needs to be matched with someone, I’d like I to be Valentin to see if it can transform her character for the better. I like the actress, sue me, and if a new partner could make us stomach Sonny, why not her?

Finally, we may be going back this week to Victor and the Ice Princess caper.

Why did Felicia ask Martin about being a divorce lawyer? And could Kevin be Esme’s dad, not Ryan?

• Useful 3

Felicia and Mac had just had a disagreement over whether she should have confronted Ryan, Asking if Martin is a divorce lawyer was a (long-married) way of rubbing it in to Mac.

I understand why Kevin talked to Esme about Ryan's attachment stuff when she asked if her parents could have marked her (plotty plot) but a better way would have been to talk about nature vs nature and how even though he and Ryan are identical twins, they grew up to be very different people.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Spencer is dangerously close to becoming another Michael: Relying on family connections that he alternately uses and disdains (or both); a too-high opinion of his abilities; uses other people to do his bidding; etc.

That thought struck me too as I watched, but at least Spencer's signed up for college and he's played by a better actor. I don't know why this show thinks that rich people don't need to train for anything and are just handed things rather than pushed to get into the best colleges. Maybe too much watching of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That thought struck me too as I watched, but at least Spencer's signed up for college and he's played by a better actor. I don't know why this show thinks that rich people don't need to train for anything and are just handed things rather than pushed to get into the best colleges. Maybe too much watching of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Yeah I was going to comment on this. - I'll also be fair that I didn't really experience much of the Baby Spencer years. so my only Spencer-esque experiences is when NC took over the role. i figure "the best colleges" kinda include PCU (which again I'll mock), but honestly I'd rather them GO to college. (and then even rapid graduate them) . not finishing (like Michael and I wanna say BLQ?) and even then BLQ is kinda more realistic than Michael, because she knew what she wanted to do - and she was doing it until the contract/throat slash - AND if she stops being a dipstick about it she still has her songwriting to go to fall back on.

plus (arguably) since the teens are all on contract (minus Cam who asked to be off it so i heard). if they went to "better colleges, they aren't on screen (I would easily accept that in regards to Joss).  And with Esme saying she got fully admitted to PCU - i'm going to persume so did Spencer. 

also the reason why I think he's not ever going to be a Michael. (maybe Michaelish and i'll call him on it). is that he is willing to lose the girl he likes. and and his friends, to bring down someone who HURT his friends. (I still hate the fact they trashed the Britt/Spencer relationship for this though and that better be rectified). but I don't see michael EVER doing that. I do hope that he does continue to mature etc. but even with the entitled thing.... for spencer I get it a lot more than I ever will with Michael. it doesn't mean it won't (or isn't) old. but on him it makes a hell of a lot more sense. vs. a mobster baby

an ultimately. even though he falls on his face doing it [a lot], Spencer is willing to change. Michael. not so much at all. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Desperado said:

Unpopular Opinion 2: If Carly needs to be matched with someone, I’d like I to be Valentin to see if it can transform her character for the better. I like the actress, sue me, and if a new partner could make us stomach Sonny, why not her?

It's not the actress, it's the character. 

As far as pairings go, I think the only available male character is Drew. Sucks for him and for anyone who liked Drew. Personally, I can't stomach him anymore.

I think the main thing with Sonny is that the character has changed since his NF adventure. He is a lot more tolerable even without Nina onscreen with him. I think they've made a conscious decision to "retool" the character. And he's not invading everybody's story. Right now his ass is contained while I'm assuming the writers are waiting to start this new threat storyline that's been dragging for months and months.

Carly has no storyline and she has no purpose. She's like a goddamn fly. She buzzes around people's heads and moves from one place to the other, landing here and there, then rubs her hands together and goes to work, continuing to annoy the hell out of viewers (me).

It's got nothing to do with LW. I think LW is a bit delusional about her character, but no one can ever say that she phones it in. 

I do think that Anna is wasted on Valentin, especially when he's been lying to her, but they click together. So at least there's that.

• Like 2
  • Love 11

There have been points in Carly's tenure that she's been tolerable, and those points were when she was uninvolved with Sonny and not sticking her nose in other people's business.  These were very short periods of time.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

It's not the actress, it's the character. 

As far as pairings go, I think the only available male character is Drew. Sucks for him and for anyone who liked Drew. Personally, I can't stomach him anymore.

I think the main thing with Sonny is that the character has changed since his NF adventure. He is a lot more tolerable even without Nina onscreen with him. I think they've made a conscious decision to "retool" the character. And he's not invading everybody's story. Right now his ass is contained while I'm assuming the writers are waiting to start this new threat storyline that's been dragging for months and months.

Carly has no storyline and she has no purpose. She's like a goddamn fly. She buzzes around people's heads and moves from one place to the other, landing here and there, then rubs her hands together and goes to work, continuing to annoy the hell out of viewers (me).

It's got nothing to do with LW. I think LW is a bit delusional about her character, but no one can ever say that she phones it in. 

I do think that Anna is wasted on Valentin, especially when he's been lying to her, but they click together. So at least there's that.

This.  A thousand time.  This.

I personally don’t think any guy will make Carly more tolerable because they seem to think her friendships and relationships should consist of the other party telling her she’s right all of the time and never calling her out. Do anyone except Sonny and Nina push back against her anymore? The only times I’ve found her semi-likable were when she had people giving her a reality check.

Let’s be honest, right now she’s a terrible person who goes unchecked, wins all of the time while judging everyone else, and somehow is still bitter. How am I supposed to like her? Mostly I just hope that she is kept away from the characters I do enjoy and cringe when she is since they want her in every SL. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 8

Since I just fell off the turnip truck this morning, hitting my head on the way down, my hope is that Carly has to go through a bad patch when the sekrit of Willow's parentage is out. We all know she'll be an unrepentant bitch about it, so maybe besides Nina and Sonny, Millow will also have her on their shit list for at least a few days. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Since I just fell off the turnip truck this morning, hitting my head on the way down, my hope is that Carly has to go through a bad patch when the sekrit of Willow's parentage is out. We all know she'll be an unrepentant bitch about it, so maybe besides Nina and Sonny, Millow will also have her on their shit list for at least a few days. 

It seems significant that Carly brought Drew into the maternity question when it was just a possibility, then lied to him directly when she got the results. Hopefully he'll be pissed at her for at least an episode or two. 

I know we won't see the special episode today, but the previews seem like they're setting up a bigger crisis than can be resolved in one episode. I haven't read any showrunner comments on it,  but I wonder just how standalone it will be? It seems like someone's challenging her right to be mayor?  

(It would be funny if someone finally uncovered Spencer's ballot shenanigans from his pipsqueak years. But given all the IRL chaos that occurred over similar accusations in the intervening years, I don't think we want that particular current events peanut butter in our entertainment chocolate right now.)

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1