Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Best dress for me was Jordan and Liz.  Best hair was Liz and possibly Joss.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Okay, now that Victor knows that Lucy is alive, can she break into the NB already?

That will be tomorrow around 2:45, unless there are Trump issues, at which point it will be Wednesday around 2:4;5.  

23 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Also, she's in a safehouse, where did that dress come from?

I fanwanked it that she stopped by her place the other day when she went to see Maxie, grabbed the dress and the bottle of champagne that she was sucking back like it was water.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
25 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm as petty as RC.

😆 I read this as "I'm as pretty as RC" so I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out who RC is.  😆

I guess I am tired today as I had no patience for this show and ff through most of it and thought all the dresses were ugly.  I thought Sonny was the best dressed with his blue tux and Dante second.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Of all the similar dresses, I loved Portia’s the best for the colour and lack of spaghetti straps. I watched Y&R’s 50th show and learned that sequin armpit burns are a thing, so happy for the Trina and Nina actresses who avoided this. Again though, I find stylists let TA down again with another prom type dress.

RH’s beard made him look like a hobo who didn’t even bother to shower before putting on his nice tux. He’s definitely a ball and chain to Ava. 

The carpet interviews were too cringe for me.

• Like 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Daisy said:

what was this in regards?

Syndney pointing out that last year Carly was co-owner of the Metro Court and with Sonny, and now Nina has both her hotel and her man.

1 hour ago, PatsyandEddie said:

The hair could have used work. 

That struck me too, especially with Bobbie. Here was this formal dress for a formal occasion and her hair was like she wears it every day.

Liz looked gorgeous, dress and hair. So did Portia. I liked Jordan's dress but she was modelling like she was on a photo shoot, back turned and look over the shoulder, not like she's the commissioner of police.

Trina's dress was prom-style but I thought that it was more appropriate for the occasion.than Joss'.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 6
2 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I watched Y&R’s 50th show and learned that sequin armpit burns are a thing,

I am glad you said that because I kept thinking that those dresses looked uncomfortable and were probably rough if your arms were rubbing against them.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Trina's dress was prom-style but I thought that it was more appropriate for the occasion.than Joss'.

It's like they're deliberately trying to make Trina look younger than Joss even though they're same age.  

• Like 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Speaking about missing Nik, it's ridiculous that we don't know why Mason and his mysterious boss is spending tons of money to keep him alive. There are cheaper ways to blackmail Austin and Ava.

I care zero about Austin and even less for Ava/Austin as a couple but I want to know why masons boss wants Nikolas alive, that’s the only part of that story that interest me. For there to be a blackmail story there needs to be actual blackmail,which this story is lacking. The only thing mason has done is hint that he knows about Nikolas body in the stables and made Ava give him her phone so he could put his number in. And I found Ava’s comments on the red carpet about “say hi to my ex if you can find him” to be particularly disgusting since she believes she “killed” Nikolas.Before Nikolas pops up alive, personally I need people to actually find out what she did and for her to be arrested since she’s walking around with zero remorse and acting like “killing” Nikolas is just a minor inconvenience. All this grandstanding she’s doing needs to come back to bite her. 

Edited by Gemini2989
  • Like 3

Maxie wore black pants? They couldn't find a dress for her?

Joss lights up when she sees Dex, which isn't good at hiding the relationship. 

Nina and Trina's dresses I liked the most, because it didn't look like prom sparkles. 

Trinas treatment of her mother is old. She'll forgive the horrible things Spencer does and bows at Ava's feet, but her mom is devil. 

Where's everyone else? Ned? Alexis? TJ? 

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

It's like they're deliberately trying to make Trina look younger than Joss even though they're same age.  

Tbh I didn’t like Joss’ dress because I thought it aged her. That was a dress I would have expected to see on someone like Sam. I think they’re trying to slot her into this older, vixen-y look which doesn’t match her character 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Did they show Sasha and Cody? I know they announced them, but I don’t remember seeing them. Maybe I looked down for a second and missed them. I wanted to see what she was wearing.

2 minutes ago, AuxArx said:

Did they show Sasha and Cody? I know they announced them, but I don’t remember seeing them. Maybe I looked down for a second and missed them. I wanted to see what she was wearing.

I don’t think they showed them. They might not have wanted to show Sasha standing up because the actress obviously looked pregnant in the last ep she was on 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Remind me, who is Mason?

Bald guy who pretends to be Austin's cousin, makes threats, never follows through.

2 hours ago, ljr said:

What is the point of the red carpet nurses ball interview?

It kills time.  Very little dialogue to write when it's just introducing arrivals.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t think they showed them. They might not have wanted to show Sasha standing up because the actress obviously looked pregnant in the last ep she was on 

👍 I noticed they weren’t shown but assumed it was to not pay them for the episode - your thinking makes perfect sense!

The Red Carpet stuff is always 🙄 for me, and this year we got cutaways to Michael and Willow talking about it. Britt and Brad, they are not.

Is the llama a running joke? I could be totally making this up but seem to recall at least a mention of one in a prior year.

• Like 2

A week ago Lucy was freaking out about how no one other than she knew how to get a llama that doesn't spit. So I think they are trying to make the llama happen.

My theory is a friend of Frank has a small ranch and Frank is doing his friend a favor by putting their animals on the show hence Comet and the llama.

• LOL 5
44 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

My theory is a friend of Frank has a small ranch and Frank is doing his friend a favor by putting their animals on the show hence Comet and the llama

I'm grateful, since the llama was the most interesting thing about the episode.

Though Finn and Portia walking near each other made me wonder if tptb ever chem tested them. They looked good.  

• Like 4

The best thing about Monday's episode was Sam tripping on the red carpet and nearly falling, having to be caught by Dante. That's only because "Sam can't walk" is one of my favorite amusing GH things going back years and years, and she hadn't fallen in a while, so it's nice to see she hasn't been cured. I need a super-cut of all of her falls and stumbles.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

The red carpet is always cringe, but Lucy's commentary took it to another level. Too bad Britt and Brad can't give her lessons on how to snark - their bitchfests were the sole reason to sit through the red carpet episodes. 

I saw TJ in the previews - with the nurses. Why? I don't remember any other doctors being part of the nurses' performance. Even with Willow at home and Epiphany dearly departed, they still have enough nurses to front the opening number: Head Nurse Liz, Bobbie, Felix, Deanna, and Amy. I'd rather TJ be roped in for the Magic Wands - much more suitable now than when he was a high school student!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

"Designers, we are NOT headed to Mood. You are each getting 3 yards of discontinued sequined fabric in a random color. This is a one-day challenge."

I thought this too. Between this and the Y&R anniversary show, there must be nary a sequin left in Los Angeles. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Damn, I think I went blind from all that glitter at the ball! I liked Joss’ dress but wasn’t it a little mature for a 20 year old? Nina looked amazing without sporting a single sequin. And DAMN what I wouldn’t do for Jordan’s body. Portia also looked fabulous.

I thought Bobbie looked good except for the hair. Couldn’t she have done SOMETHING with it? And what was with both her and Sydney in the same color ?

I’m really surprised St. Willow didn’t make a dramatic appearance…

• Like 9

okay I never really saw the red carpet thing but that was just bad. I always figure that Port Charles is basically the "Martha's Vineyard/Hyannis Port" for the show, so kinda quasi-rich set does show up, but i mean. If you had a thing at Milan  - and you cancelled it to go to the Nurse's Ball? Really?

Which again -makes me state again that if you are going to have the Nurse's ball be a thing (which is fine) then you need to treat it like a thing. like you need to have people talking about the Ball throughout the year, talking about the planning and set up (not obnoxious in your face about it, but just a bit of a prattle). you need to have "famous people" there. (Spencer being stopped by the paparazzi kind of makes sense since he is a prince or whatever, but Joss isn't a socialite and Spencer/Trina aren't official,  so like all of these people getting interviewed on the carpet made no sense). 

and Dr Bailey was basically talking to these people as someone who watches General Hospital, not someone who is in Port Charles so it was very... off putting

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I’m really surprised St. Willow didn’t make a dramatic appearance…

If only to faint on the red carpet.  After Nina said "Hello" to her. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

If only to faint on the red carpet.  After Nina said "Hello" to her. 

So the Carlys could blame it all on Nina. ‘You just had to say hello. You couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you? Now look what you did!’ 🙄

• LOL 14

I know fans in the US will see this ep pre-empted so I just want to say: Finola is a dancer, that dress needed slits, damn it!! (It might’ve made up for mini-piano.)

Love the colour of Molly’s dress and what I saw of it looked nice.

And TJ is allowed to sign and dance, anywhere, anytime. 💕

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Brothers Awesome are great. that is all. when they are together that is. when they are no sometimes they want to be smacked. 

Edited by Daisy

The opening number with all the colourful scrubs reminded me how glad I am that it's not longer pink only.

Nina can't sit with Sonny because it's dangerous but it's okay if Gladys and Sasha sit with him? It's not like Nina's relationship with Sonny is a secret, it was even talked about on the red carpet.

Oh look, JPS is singing. And FH gets to dance. That baby Baby grand comes with a string section!.

Wait, if Michael and Morgan's toys are stored in the attic implying that Sonny's family used to spend time tere,  then that "safe house" isn't too safe.

I like Lucy's dress more than all the extreme sequins of the other dresses.

Joss and Trina's act was pretty but so auto-tuned that's all I could think of.

Nice cliff-hanger. But we know that nothingmajor is going to happen to Valentin.

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

okay I never really saw the red carpet thing but that was just bad. I always figure that Port Charles is basically the "Martha's Vineyard/Hyannis Port" for the show, so kinda quasi-rich set does show up...

and Dr Bailey was basically talking to these people as someone who watches General Hospital, not someone who is in Port Charles so it was very... off putting

Dr. Bailey is as gushing and OTT as Syndney but at least it's Sydney's job.

The GH Nurses' Ball is really a case of multiple personality disorder.  It's called a Ball but really it's more like a cross between a night club show with those little tables and flimsy chairs and a high school fundraiser where they are so desperate for acts that anyone who will get up on stage is accepted. Thedresses are Oscar-level, the red carpet is there making ordinary people feel like they are celebrities and no one is dancing except in place.

• Like 7

This is a sparsely attended NB from what I saw online. Weird choice considering the show promoted it for the 60th anniversary. There’s so many long term characters who are missing

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
Just now, ffwbe said:

This is a sparsely attended NB from what I saw online. Weird choice considering the show promoted it for the 60th anniversary. There’s so many long term characters who are missing

have to wonder if some of it is Covid-y related.

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

The GH Nurses' Ball is really a case of multiple personality disorder.  It's called a Ball but really it's more like a cross between a night club show with those little tables and flimsy chairs and a high school fundraiser where they are so desperate for acts that anyone who will get up on stage is accepted. Thedresses are Oscar-level, the red carpet is there making ordinary people feel like they are celebrities and no one is dancing except in place.

yeah. it's more "Variety show' (which is FINE, don't get me wrong). but you don't have red carpets and stuff for variety shows. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

have to wonder if some of it is Covid-y related.

That’s possible. I also saw some interviews about the May sweeps storyline and think some of the people involved in that storyline don’t have high guarantees so they don’t want to waste multiple episodes with them mostly sitting in the audience. They’ve traditionally used the Nurses Ball to burn through episodes for characters who don’t have a lot going on since they don’t have to write much for them during this week. This is more referring the ones who aren’t on all of the time. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

okay what happened today was

Trina and Spencer were deciding what they were (Together, they decided). but joss interrupted them and Spencer said she has the worse timing. they sang a song, i ignored it. Linc started to hit on Joss, BLQ saw.

Blaze (why do I care about her?) was being all  nervous being around Linc and the door closed. BLQ kicked him out, Chase came in and it was all. "Sorry i signedmy NDA etc etc." and like i said before. this is 2023. #MeToo is like a massive thing now. i refuse to believe Blaze doesn't know she can just out Linc for the scuz bucket that he is and everyone would believe her. And Chase is dumb because HE should know whatever NDA BLQ signed, it won't mean anything if it's in regards to sexual misconduct. And MAXIE TOLD BLQ THIS. why are you wasting my time. 

Chase and Finn DID have a great brother moment.

Bearded Wonder threatened to tell Sasha about Glady's addiction. (which you are exploiting so SHUT UP). 

Anna and Val have a moment, Lucy admits she was at the MC so then they decide they have to leave. Sommeone got shot at. 

Victor finally said he needed the necklace to save the world. (so you know dumbass, why not TELL people that vs. being all Tinker Tenor, Doctor Spy?)

• Like 7

Agreed: Lucy and Molly's dress were nice.

Nurses + TJ weren't bad because the 4 leads can sing 

UGH to Valentine's song, I just ff through that, I hate that kind of music

Joss and Trina were good, got to see TA's personality a bit, which they certainly don't write for

I laughed at Spencer asking for the status update from Trina, he was so Cousin Greg (Succession)

I don't believe for a second that Joss would let that creepy Link guy touch her

I never can understand how DZ has made it through all these years without haven't to perform (considering he kind of has a performance background)

Gladys looked very pretty as well, and Felicia too (of course)

• Like 6
59 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Oh look, JPS is singing. And FH gets to dance.

So how is this happening if Vanna are presumed dead?  And why does Lucy have to stay away if Deputy Mayor let the cat out of the bag?

• Useful 1

Ava teling Portia to ditch her shift and go to the NB is ridiculous.  Some doctors and nurses actually have to work that night.  they can't shut the hospital down.

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, ciarra said:

So how is this happening if Vanna are presumed dead?  And why does Lucy have to stay away if Deputy Mayor let the cat out of the bag?

|It's not at the ball.  Valentin found a baby piano in the safehouse (cuz don't we all have baby pianos sitting around our safehouses) and sang a song to Anna.  There was a "dream" sequence of them in fancy clothes, dancing together.  

Lucy is staying dead and hidden so that Victor doesn't kill her.  

• Useful 4
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ava telling Portia to ditch her shift and go to the NB is ridiculous.

Fortunately Portia happened to have a gown to wear.  "This old thing?".

• LOL 6
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ava teling Portia to ditch her shift and go to the NB is ridiculous.

Portia said she picked up an extra shift to avoid Curtis.  It's possible she wasn't needed at the hospital in the first place since she was only being an extra body.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Fortunately Portia happened to have a gown to wear.  "This old thing?".

A sequined gown to match everyone else's.

Hospitals here often have sellers come in and take over the lobby for a day. I wonder if there was a sequined formal sale day at GH.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
15 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Portia said she picked up an extra shift to avoid Curtis.  It's possible she wasn't needed at the hospital in the first place since she was only being an extra body.  

I would have thought it more likely that she was covering for another doctor who went to the ball.

• Like 6
(edited)

Per a tweet from an ABC exec and the GH account, today’s preempted show will be shown tomorrow and Canada will get a repeat

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

Loved Vanna today. Pure romantic corniness. It’s why I still watch.

Sprina is SooOoo adorable but I’m cautious. I need the baby story to end and the baby obsessed version of Spencer to knock it off. I’m worried this might be setting Trina up for heartbreak. 

I’m BEYOND disgusted by Chase at this point. I don’t care what Brooklyn did. He is basically bullying her, making nasty remarks about her character every chance he gets and that makes him a huge asshole. She can officially do way better. 

I secretly love the cheesy performances and rewatched TJs because I love that song. 

Good episode. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Nice seeing more cast than yesterday. I remember the original Nurse's Balls though that had huge tables of 10. Quartermaines bought their own, Sonny had his own. Room was more packed. 

Joss and Trina was cute.  Even Joss/Dex at the bar although risky. 

Spencer is lying and working with Victor, I want to like Sprina but she deserves better and she puts others on such a high horse yet Spencer not. 

• Like 2

Since the GH costume department clearly thinks sequins= high fashion, I wonder why Nina and Trina were so severely neglected. Too bad, ladies. Guess you should have brought your own glue gun.

The thing that kills me about the NB, year after year (unrelated to Covid) is how severely underattended it is. Imagine if the Oscars red carpet show was able to interview and showcase every. single. attendee. They don’t even try to make the audience look bigger with extras or backdrops representing an auditorium, nope, it’s a tiny stage in a tiny room with 20 shiny bedazzled people putting on a little talent show for one another. This is the biggest social event in PC? What a sad, sad town.

• Like 8