Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I didn't mind the fashion show. i mean they were going through ned's old clothes and having fun with the crazy 80 styles. I don't really think that was really childish perse, just having some fun, blowing off steam

what bothers me is that Chase is letting himself be railroaded into this stupid thing because BLQ can't be a grown up.  here are her options

1: get a good entertainment lawyer or 
2: let it go. 

stop railroading Chase into this craptacular scheme because you can't let go of your songs. (that you were dumb enough to sell to Linc).  if they truly wanted to do Eddie Maine 2.0 - then honestly i don't get why they didn't make Bearded Wonder someone who loved to sing  vs. Chase who clearly just does it when the mood strikes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I didn't mind the fashion show. i mean they were going through ned's old clothes and having fun with the crazy 80 styles. I don't really think that was really childish perse, just having some fun, blowing off steam

what bothers me is that Chase is letting himself be railroaded into this stupid thing because BLQ can't be a grown up.  here are her options

1: get a good entertainment lawyer or 
2: let it go. 

stop railroading Chase into this craptacular scheme because you can't let go of your songs. (that you were dumb enough to sell to Linc).  if they truly wanted to do Eddie Maine 2.0 - then honestly i don't get why they didn't make Bearded Wonder someone who loved to sing  vs. Chase who clearly just does it when the mood strikes. 

It’s probably unintentional but it comes off to me like BL is trying to force Chase to live out her career dreams because her injury means she can’t. He’s never expressed an interest in becoming a famous singer but you wouldn’t know it by what she said today. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

It’s probably unintentional but it comes off to me like BL is trying to force Chase to live out her career dreams because her injury means she can’t. He’s never expressed an interest in becoming a famous singer but you wouldn’t know it by what she said today. 

yeah-that's how i feel (you said it more eloquently thank you). like if Chase flat out told BLQ that she didn't want this, I don't think BLQ, would say cool. she'd throw a tantrum about it. it's another kick to her dream. and sure he's a great friend so he's going along with it, but my thing is- say that he DOES get his job back. then what?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Why does Anna need to enlist (really threaten) Martin and Lucy into helping her?

So the writers can make the Anna F*ckin' Devane completely inept.  i mean, she's got girl cooties after all.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Doesn't LW ever take a vacation?

she had Covid and still managed to be offscreen for only two days, when she told Joss she had to leave the trial because Donna had fallen at the park.  They have so much footage of LW/Carly that we never get a reprieve from her.  

But it's really too similar to Laura's story.

That the mantra of GH writers : "Too similar to someone else's story"  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

But it's really too similar to Laura's story.

That the mantra of GH writers : "Too similar to someone else's story"  

Some intern is looking for those scripts so all they have to do is change the names and a few details.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

say that he DOES get his job back. then what?

I'm guessing he's not.  We have Jordan as commisioner, Mac as Chief of Detectives, Dante as detective and Rory as newbie, along with the handful of regular officers that we see now and then.  On a force that does no work and catches no bad guy.  

edited to add:  there's also Valerie, who may or may not have gotten lost on her back from the evidence room.  

Edited by perkie1968
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish they'd just leave it at that and not force a deadly accident coverup on Elizabeth. The show is so terrible at this stuff. I'd rather Elizabeth hold a grudge against her parents for being more interested in their work than raising their kids.

I also hope there's an element of Steven and Sarah being the golden children who could do no wrong and Liz could do nothing right and it escalated when she got pregnant with Cam. They pressured her to give him up for adoption, she refused and she decided to cut her parents out of her life. It would explain why her parents don't even have a relationship with the grandkids and Liz is so adamant she doesn't want them around. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'd rather Elizabeth hold a grudge against her parents for being more interested in their work than raising their kids.

Exactly. That’s enough, and it’s actually a lot. She doesn’t have to hold a grudge necessarily, but she also doesn’t need to make the effort to have a close relationship with them. 

Before the decided to go with yet another “wimmins be crazy” story (so original!) every now and then people would wonder why Elizabeth wasn’t close with her fam and what could have possibly happened. Umm, its no secret that her parents took off to care for other people in need and forgot that they made the decision to have children who also needed them. It’s not that difficult to understand?

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

I didn't mind the fashion show. i mean they were going through ned's old clothes and having fun with the crazy 80 styles.

Were all those clothes supposed to be Ned's from when he was Eddie Maine?  Because the only legit piece of clothing were the leather pants. 

47 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Were all those clothes supposed to be Ned's from when he was Eddie Maine?  Because the only legit piece of clothing were the leather pants. 

if they weren't they never explained what they were.

2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I also hope there's an element of Steven and Sarah being the golden children who could do no wrong and Liz could do nothing right and it escalated when she got pregnant with Cam. They pressured her to give him up for adoption, she refused and she decided to cut her parents out of her life. It would explain why her parents don't even have a relationship with the grandkids and Liz is so adamant she doesn't want them around. 

But that would make no sense either. Liz was a grown ass woman in her 20s and was married to Ric. (She left him and went to have Cam.) It is okay that Liz has issues with her parents and she isn't close to them. My sister moved out of the state because my mom, while a loving person that is extremely likable to extended family and friends, has a host of mental issues that she takes out on me and my sister.

Before the decided to go with yet another “wimmins be crazy” story (so original!) every now and then people would wonder why Elizabeth wasn’t close with her fam and what could have possibly happened. Umm, its no secret that her parents took off to care for other people in need and forgot that they made the decision to have children who also needed them. It’s not that difficult to understand?

@mostlylurking of course they did. They never have the men go crazy, except for Ryan, who is an established crazy person.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I thought that they were outfits that Brook Lynn had pulled together to give Chase an image remake.  None of them worked, and at the end Ned got the idea to put Chase in his old outfit, the one in the picture that Leo had been looking at.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I loved Scotty and Lucy 1) sharing scenes for the first time in forever and 2) Scotty wanting to get Lucy up to speed immediately on an antagonist tied to their daughter slash shared history.  It's so easy to please me, Show, why do you do it so rarely?

Not pleasing me...what...was that...with Chase today?  To palate clense, here's Amanda Setton and Scott Clifton in a much better fashion montage: 

• Useful 1

I suppose this is insanely shallow (and probably already noted) but Maxie was dressed from the Goodwill bargain bin today. Absolutely impossible to believe that she has anything to do with a fashion oriented publication.

It was actually a merciful distraction from this ridiculous goings on.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
On 8/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, dubbel zout said:

I'm rewatching yesterday's ep for the last 15 minutes that were preempted yesterday, and wow, Olivia was such a crab. Making it difficult for Nina isn't going to help the hotel. Push her far enough and she might sell her half to someone Olivia finds even worse, so maybe make a bare effort to be civil to Nina, huh, Liv?

I didn't find Willow's behavior unreasonable. Yet. She's allowed some time to process, and treatment is never started the very next second after a diagnosis. People need time to process the news as well as make arrangements. You can't wait too long, but a day or even a week shouldn't make much difference. They don't even have a treatment plan for Willow yet.

Right, I paid more attention this time around, LOL. 

Doesn't Trina still have to deal with the Title IX hearing at PCU? Or has that been dropped?

Nina, it's the middle of August. The September issue of Crimson should be on the newsstands already, or at least this week. And if you have any sort of PR, it will have already sent the cover and story to various media outlets.

If I owned half of that hotel, and Olivia tried that shit with me, I would rapidly have her tied up in legal process until she learned to act like a professional.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:
14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I thought that they were outfits that Brook Lynn had pulled together to give Chase an image remake.  None of them worked, and at the end Ned got the idea to put Chase in his old outfit, the one in the picture that Leo had been looking at.

OK, that makes more sense, because some of those clothes were straight out of the '70's.

I forgot to add this yesterday and it’s probably an UO but Eddie Maine always made me cringe so this is the last story I want them revisiting. I think WK can sing and is great when Ned was singing the occasional ballad to his LOs but Ned as this badass rock star who had all of the college aged girls swooning? No, not all. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Yesterday's episode was so boring I feel asleep while watching it on Hulu.  But I needed the sleep so I guess it was a win for me.   I hate the way they are writing Ana right now, blackmailing an attorney to break client privilege because she's horny for her shady boo?  Give me a break.  

I do see real chem between TJ and Willow.  I would like to see that pursued but Mikey can never lose so...could be a lot of drama there tho. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I forgot to add this yesterday and it’s probably an UO but Eddie Maine always made me cringe so this is the last story I want them revisiting. I think WK can sing and is great when Ned was singing the occasional ballad to his LOs but Ned as this badass rock star who had all of the college aged girls swooning? No, not all. 

Not just you. Eddie Maine was always a weird sell, I never believed that what he did would have mass appeal to young adults of that era. Also, if he really were as big a musical celebrity as they were making it seem, then the rest of his life as Ned Ashton was implausibly disconnected from it. It always seemed a vanity sop to an actor, so Wally Kurth could sing and wear leather pants. 

Then there was the nonsense with Alexis being surprised by the photographers while wearing lingerie and waiting for Ned, and becoming an unwilling nationwide pinup as "Eddie's Angel." She was hyperventilating all the time from anxiety about it. The only thing less convincing than Ned as a rock star of the '90s was Alexis as fantasy material for that era's college boys. (Nothing against Nancy Lee Grahn's looks. She was is and attractive.)

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

This stable really bothers me. 
Also also - no not everyone loves Pizza, bearded wonder. 

Also bearded wonder still whinging that Scott got the Fortune "That should have been mine." *beats him with a ski pole*  bleh bleh blegh ignore ignore ignore. Bearded Wonder REALLY wants the skinny on Taub + Faison. Britt wants to know why this matters so much. Me too. actually. no i don't. 

Davis Coven - they all looks so frosted minus Sam. Molly's eyelashes are VERY long... very distracting. Coven update, Sam looks sad because she still doesn't want to move in w/Dante

Spinelli. no one cares.
Austin returns. don't care. 
They verbal spar over Maxie. don't care
Bald Wonder shows up. still don't care. Bald Wonder is Mason and they are cousins.  they all verbal spar -  really still don't care.

Liz hand drama.. she dreams about falling down stairs. she prevaricates with TJ, who does't buy it, and she verbal dances around Finn. meh blegh. They kiss and makeup. Finn flashes back about him saying he could lose Liz. He calls Jeff. 

Olivia gives great mom advice to Dante. Dante uber loves Sam. all he wants to do is make her super duper happy.  one of the rarer days I didn't feel like snapping out a shut up, Olivia. 

Dante says we can take it slow, and Sam goes "yeah"but now she is sad. 

this was the crappiest Friday episode, even though it's delayed ever

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It's more than a little creepy that Finn has the number of his sort-of girlfriend's family members in his phone, a family that Liz has made it clear more than enough times she wants nothing to do with and has no contact with.

If Finn had a phone number for anyone in Liz's family it should be Hayden, the mother of his child.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Davis Coven - they all looks so frosted minus Sam

Molly's hair and makeup is very distracting. What are they doing to poor HP?

I'm not usually a Violet fan, but I loved what she was wearing while lounging by the pool. Like a tiny grande dame.

The recorded horse neighs we heard every so often were hilarious.

LOL that Sam is bothered by Lulu's kitchen. Since when does Sam cook anything? Olivia is keeping her family fed with all of that baked ziti and manicotti. (I get Sam's larger point.) Sam and Dante should take things slow, as there are kids involved. Just because they get along when they play together doesn't mean living together will be a breeze.

Ugh, I couldn't care less about Austin's sekrit. Move this dumb story along, Show. Or better yet, abandon it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Bleh I couldn’t even enjoy my Davis coven scenes with that awful shirt Alexis was wearing.  I hate that untucked in the back look and this one was MASSIVE, looked like a huge napkin or a diaper hanging out the back. Wear a shirt with a smaller shirttail or you know, just tuck in the whole shirt!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Finn: Aren't you the one who told me to analyze the problem from all sides and draw the rational conclusion?  Me: Yes, and the rational conclusion is that Elizabeth wants you to stay out of it. How many more ways can she say it?

The difference between Finn and Brando is these womminz be crazy stories is that Brando is  looking for way that he can help Sasha; Finn is always telling people what Elizabeth needs and should do. (I think TJ's is a better way of helping her today.)

Olivia, just because Cody knows about horses and donkeys and stuf doesn't mean he knows anything about Bottom who only has a donkey head and is not a real donkey.

If the Quartermaines are doing a fund-raiser for the children's wing, maybe get a real chef to make sure the food is cooked instead of Dante.

They've toned down Cody and I could actually see why Britt would be attracted today.

Spinelli being possessive of Maxie and mean to Austin isn't attractive. Or interesting.

Molly: At least Trina's case ended with the right verdict.  (Is is a verdict when the judge throws out the case?)

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Davis Coven - they all looks so frosted minus Sam.

I guess it's nurture since Sam wasn't raised by Alexis.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Spinelli being possessive of Maxie and mean to Austin isn't attractive. Or interesting.

He always does this, and it's super gross. What is it with this show and pushy men who don't listen to what the women in their lives want? It's not romantic or sweet. It's condescending and selfish.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2022 at 8:09 PM, Cheetara1986 said:

Im all for a good soapy teen love trianglw, but when you bring a guy like Bory, who is portrayed by someone that acts like a piece of wood and has that Michael vibe of alwaya ruining the mood when they enter, Im just ready for Trina to just let him down and move the story along. Cause unless NAC leaves the show, we know Spencer will win in the end.

Also shout out to NAC for continuing to act his ass off even with subpar writing material given to him. 

I remember someone on Twitter mentioned if Casey Moss played him it would have been better. I admit I would actually care about this story but at the same time I rather CM find a gig on a show that's actually good.

How long has Cody believed* Dominique is his mother? If he wanted a share of her money, he should have gone to Scott earlier and made his case then. If he just found out, well too bad the money is gone. He needs to stop whining about Scott stealing his money because SCOTT DIDN'T KNOW YOU EXISTED YOU AMEOBA BRAINED WHINER. 

*I refuse to believe this asshole is actually Dominique's child and no DNA test is going to convince me because we've seen how lax security and safeguards are at GH.

• Love 9
On 8/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, statsgirl said:

That's true. But it's also true that when it comes to a minority person, they will be charged with little evidence when a white man will get away with a warning.

Yet the police commissioner who brought the charges is Jordan.  Soaps have equality, because the writers want to appear not racist, so the black characters are always professionals and interracial relationships occur without any discussion or protest (they don't want other characters to look racist either).   Thus they really can't do these kinds of realistic stories.  No character said a thing, not even Portia, once she gave her required speech (which they really shouldn't do on soaps, since the story line never takes on such issues).  

On 8/17/2022 at 3:13 PM, YaddaYadda said:

Dex has a sad childhood and beat up a man who abused his wife and kids. There's nothing in the world that will tug at Sonny's heart strings more than that, while he gets snowed by his new protégé.

Interesting Sonny just believes this story.  But it was certainly the best one when it came to Sonny.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, rur said:

Agreed. And if you're going to work as an enforcer for a mob kingpin, it should probably be a good thing rather than a deal breaker. I have no interest in Sonny's feigned outrage. If the writers were looking for a misdirect about Jason 2.0 getting caught about working for Baby Mike, this wasn't the best, unless he ends up beating the crap out of someone later. 

Sonny going on about being discharged for committing a crime was hilarious.  OK, maybe the issue was loyalty, but it still was funny.  

On 8/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, poor Taggert. He's going to be crushed when he learns Trina isn't his daughter. He so doesn't deserve that. When a good guy like him gets screwed over like this, it's not soapy.

I don't like that either.  At least it can never change that Taggart acted as her actual father for her entire childhood.  She's never going to see anyone else as her real father.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:05 PM, mostlylurking said:

Carly will probably turn around and blame Willow for all of this.  She’ll be like well if Willow had told me she was sick I would have told her Nina was her mother!  It’s her fault!

Yep. 

On 8/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, statsgirl said:

Truth. I'm also beginning to dislike Portia a lot, she's becoming too much like Carly. Like Carly, she is rude to people she doesn't like or doesn't think worthy (see Spencer today), she thinks that whatever she does for her family is okay, and she is holding the secret of someone's paternity for her own purposes.

Whatever she does for her family is OK, exactly.  Though she'll still be one step better than Carly until she starts yelling at people for doing the same thing she did. 

On 8/17/2022 at 5:31 PM, jsbt said:

It is clear the writing is there for Spencer and Trina, but I don't trust Frank Valentini when it comes to non-white characters, ever. He still operates from a mindset of 'don't upset the white grandmas' from 2010. I feel like they've strung this out for as long as humanly possible as he struggles to find any way to put the Black girl with someone else and find another white chick for Spencer. I hope I'm wrong. Either way, TA remains gold as she's been since her first day.

I don't see them doing that at all.  And they know they have a large black audience.  Molly and TJ have been together forever and there are zero objections from any other characters or fans as far as I know.  AJ used to be with Keisha, and there was a Shawn/Alexis non romance.  Nikolas and Gia a while ago.  Taggart and some long ago character that I don't remember.  

On 8/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, Daisy said:

Right? like...they aren't going to extradite her to the states for that. 

or.... they are just normal? not every teen runs around wanting to have sex. just because they don't - doesn't make them frigid and sexless. 

No, but they did.  And are still together.  If it was even just OK, they'd try it again after making a sweep of the room for cameras.  Joss said it was everything a first time should be, so she didn't hate it.    

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mirabelle said:

How long has Cody believed* Dominique is his mother? If he wanted a share of her money, he should have gone to Scott earlier and made his case then. If he just found out, well too bad the money is gone. He needs to stop whining about Scott stealing his money because SCOTT DIDN'T KNOW YOU EXISTED YOU AMEOBA BRAINED WHINER. 

*I refuse to believe this asshole is actually Dominique's child and no DNA test is going to convince me because we've seen how lax security and safeguards are at GH.

like a few months. but the thing is even if this is true (because i am w/you). like i said with Austin - you aren't entitled to crap. if it wasn't in the will -it was never yours to have. you can BELIEVE IT all you want but you aren't entitled to it. and whinging how you could have had a better life but they screwed you over isn't endearing - it's self-righteous stupidity. 

just like Austin- he comes in, he does POOP ALL to learn the other side of the story, just drops in and goes. YOU DENIED ME -and the is all "but what do you mean i'm getting resistance? i mean, i am her child, i deserve it all!" at least Austin had the fact that Tracey meddled with the correspondence (but even then. if Edward really wanted Jimmy Leee in his will, and UNLESS that memo stated "talk to my lawyers about giving Jimmy Lee + his heirs, money/stocks" was dated legit the day he died - Edward owed him + Austin squat if he did't want to). Dominque had every right to give the money to Serena, who decided to give the money to whales. deal with it. 

Edited by Daisy
3 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

I don't see them doing that at all.  And they know they have a large black audience.  Molly and TJ have been together forever and there are zero objections from any other characters or fans as far as I know.  AJ used to be with Keisha, and there was a Shawn/Alexis non romance.  Nikolas and Gia a while ago.  Taggart and some long ago character that I don't remember.  

Molly and T.J. have had almost zero major story despite being together over a decade, and they've only been together so long and appeared fitfully because the show has virtually no interest in doing anything real with them after failing in their attempt to pair Molly with a white boy (Rafe Kovich) in 2013. Shawn and Alexis was a C-story. Keesha and Gia have been gone decades since the Clinton and Bush administrations. Wifi didn't exist.

Black people exist on the show, yes, but that does not mean most of them are major leading men and women in big stories. They are largely supporting players, C-plotlines and talk-tos. This show does not invest in 90% of its cast of color in major A-story and with the exception of their somewhat strained commitment to Trina so far (who has yet to be fully paired with the non-Black lead she was first teased with two actors ago) has not bothered with central story for them in over 20 years.

Like all American soaps for the bulk of the 21st century, it's true that GH and ABC know a lot of their audience is people of color. They just refuse to write major story for Black people, or Asian people, or LGBT people, because they fear losing what they believe is the bulk of their bigger, fading audience: Old white senior citizens in the Midwest.

Edited by jsbt
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6

Molly and TJ are a big yawn. Willow had some actual sweet chemistry with TJ this week. But I guess Michael isn’t allowed to lose a girl unless she dies. 

Finn remains uncool. There ARE other people in Liz’s life he could call, but for some reason he’s overruled her decisions when it comes to keeping her dad out of her life. I hate this storyline. 

I’m still looking forward to Trina and Spencer even though I don’t trust Frank. I’ve waited a year for that couple, a year of truly awful soap opera storytelling. I’ve earned it. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

Yet the police commissioner who brought the charges is Jordan.

My law education comes from Law & Order but isn't it the DA who decides to charge? That would be the white ADA, or above her, Robert who is the DA.

If they wanted me to like Cody, he should have come on, introduced himself to Scott and if he's really that serious about a ranch, ask Scott to co-sign a loan.

• Love 4

My law education comes from Law & Order but isn't it the DA who decides to charge? That would be the white ADA, or above her, Robert who is the DA.

In Canada when the police finish their investigation they recommend charges to the Crown (our equivalent of the DA) and the Crown looks over the file and decides whether or not to pursue charges based on the likelihood of being able to win at trial with the evidence they have. I assume it works in basically the same way in the States, in which case, yes, it would be the DA or ADA who decides to charge.

Which begs the question of why Jordan sent the file to DA to approve charges when she so clearly had doubts about Trina's guilt and was still investigating even after Trina was getting ready to go on trial.

If this Cody's parentage story is going to continue (and who knows if it will, this show is so bad at maintaining momentum in stories so that they don't just peter out), I'm really going to need someone to take the younger actors in the cast aside and correct them on how to pronounce Dominique's name.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It's more than a little creepy that [Dr. Michael Easton] has the number of his sort-of girlfriend's family members in his phone, a family that Liz has made it clear more than enough times she wants nothing to do with and has no contact with.

If Finn had a phone number for anyone in Liz's family it should be [Rebeca Budig], the mother of his child.

Isn't Rebecca Budig still off the grid?

And relatedly, every time the idea of Dr. Michael Easton contacting Liz's family comes up, my first thought is always, "Will he explain to Jeff or No Name or Sarah that he's the father of Jeff's granddaughter with the daughter Jeff apparently never knew he had?".

ETA...and didn't Franco pull this act too?  I remember something about him emailing Sarah, against Liz's wishes, to tell her about their engagement/upcoming wedding.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

I'm loathe to criticize anything that has to do with the Davis girls, but Molly , once again, gave a speech about what lawyers do. It may have been copied and pasted from her previous appearance. 

"Prosecutors make a case based on the evidence, the defense casts doubt on the evidence and the jury decides"

and why is she giving that speech to the Davis girls, Alexis is a lawyer and Sam's been in enough courtrooms to know how lawyers work.

It's just really weird and pointless.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

Molly and T.J. have had almost zero major story despite being together over a decade, and they've only been together so long and appeared fitfully because the show has virtually no interest in doing anything real with them after failing in their attempt to pair Molly with a white boy (Rafe Kovich) in 2013. Shawn and Alexis was a C-story. Keesha and Gia have been gone decades since the Clinton and Bush administrations. Wifi didn't exist.

Black people exist on the show, yes, but that does not mean most of them are major leading men and women in big stories. They are largely supporting players, C-plotlines and talk-tos. This show does not invest in 90% of its cast of color in major A-story and with the exception of their somewhat strained commitment to Trina so far (who has yet to be fully paired with the non-Black lead she was first teased with two actors ago) has not bothered with central story for them in over 20 years.

Like all American soaps for the bulk of the 21st century, it's true that GH and ABC know a lot of their audience is people of color. They just refuse to write major story for Black people, or Asian people, or LGBT people, because they fear losing what they believe is the bulk of their bigger, fading audience: Old white senior citizens in the Midwest.

Interesting thoughts.  You may be right.  I do feel Sprina has been dragged out  for way too  long, but then so have Brooklyn and Chase.  I guess not as long though, I can barely remember when those two started dancing.  I actually saw TJ and Willow trending on Twitter last week.  I guess we're going to see, but a lot of these milktoast couples are going nowhere for them.  Alan Sarpa tweeted that TJ and Willow banging in the hospital elevator is the only thing that can save Willow as a character.  I thought that was funny, but also likely true. 

Edited by CeChase
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, YaddaYadda said:
On 8/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, threebluestars said:

Yeah, I really hate the "Curtis is really her father" storyline. I liked that Trina was associated with a legacy character, and especially Taggart. I guess my only hope is that Portia is wrong lol.

On the one hand I hate it because of Taggert. On the other hand, I want to see Curtis's world blow up in his face when he finds out the truth since he was so uppity about Jordan keeping secrets from him and divorced her because he couldn't take the lies. Fuck him.

For once I'm totally confused. How can Curtis and Portia know each other long enough for him to be Trina's daddy????

Damn. If true that really sucks. As I mentioned before, the Trina actress resembles a younger version of my Mother and I've become kind of attached to her. Leave it to these terrible (said in a Charles Barkley voice) writers to mess with a teenagers' backstory.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

The show has been laying the foundation for Curtis being Trina's father for a few years now. When Portia first showed up, the show established they had had an affair around the time Trina would have been conceived. I can't remember if this was before or after Taggert was revealed to be Trina's father. I'm thinking after because I remember saying to myself, "Oh, hell no, this show had better not be saying Taggert isn't Trina's dad!"

But for once, the show is not pulling that twist out of thin air unlike Dominique's supposed son.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I haven't given two shits about Curtis since he shifted into his Universal Studios greeter mode of acting several years ago. I certainly am not interested in Taggert, who I've found sexy since high school, losing a daughter for him. Plus that storyline is barely there and has been like this for years (just like the pointless Shawn/T.J. paternity subplot that dragged out for over a decade, again for Black characters just so they can say it's a 'story' while nothing actually happens onscreen). Why do I care? Why bother?

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

Interesting thoughts.  You may be right.  I do feel Sprina has been dragged out  for way too  long, but then so have Brooklyn and Chase.  I guess not as long though, I can barely remember when those two started dancing.  I actually saw TJ and Willow trending on Twitter last week.  I guess we're going to see, but a lot of these milktoast couples are going nowhere for them.  Alan Sarpa tweeted that TJ and Willow banging in the hospital elevator is the only thing that can save Willow as a character.  I thought that was funny, but also likely true. 

Alan Sarapa?  Can we please not mention him around here?

Edited by superdeluxe
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm beyond tired of people's parentage changing every three months. The show goes to this story waaaay too often. It's lazy, drama-free, and really, really boring.

I agree, but they've got nothing on Days of Our Lives.

I thought the actors looked like they were having a lot of fun during Chase's fashion show.  A little icky that Brooklyn found him hot in her dad's old clothes, though, LOL.

I know I'm the only one, but my heart is breaking for Willow.

For me, the best part of the fashion show was identifying the eras of the clothes (grunge, heavy metal, Frank Sinatra-esque etc.).

7 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

ETA...and didn't Franco pull this act too?  I remember something about him emailing Sarah, against Liz's wishes, to tell her about their engagement/upcoming wedding.

Franco wanted to invite Liz's family to celebrate their wedding but when she told him no, he dropped it.  (Another the reason I preferred Friz to Fiz.)

• Love 1