Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I really like what ER has been doing in these scenes, both around Dustin and with Dante.

Sorry Sonny and Carly, Dev did not come to the US "looking for a family". Unless you mean a job with the mob family.

Could they try any harder to signal that Julian is doomed?  Maybe if Sonny had a moustache to twirl.

Alexis and Valentin were again the best thing on the show. The adults, and that card game was great. Valentin might be able to get through to Alexis if everyone else would just shut up.

I couldn't figure out why they would blow up a set until I remembered "yeah, it's November".  It's been a very long year.

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I loved the look on Cyrus’ face when he saw Jason at the hospital lol! But seriously, how was Julian supposed to ensure that Jason stayed at the Rib? His job was just to plant the bomb.

Same. It was the look on my face all through this episode every time Jason appeared.

I have to ask, just how late is Danny's bedtime that Jason took him to the Quartermaines, and left him there and Sam went to get Danny about an hour later and left him there playing. Scout's been asleep for at least a couple of hours now. Jason and Sam are the worst parents.

• Love 9

Although I won't be able to wear without spilling something on it ten minutes after putting it on, but I FLOVED Carly's white coat. Not what I would wear at the scene of a post-explosion but still fabulous to look at.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Speaking of Dante—BOO! that the explosion didn’t wipe out his brainwashing. But I did so looooove the shade he threw at Heinrik when he said it seems like only good people get hurt, while the bad guys always escape easily.

Yes, the shade was great. But I really love Dante. Aside from insisting on calling Dustin another name in his first episode back, he didn't try to make Dustin the bad guy. He gave Lulu Dustin's message as he died, he gave her the ring when he could have just very easily kept all of that from her. 

Dante is a good guy and he should throw some of that shade Sonny and Jason's way. Cyrus killed, injured and traumatized a bunch of people to get at Jason who up and left.

Jason non-cooperation is really annoying. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Jason non-cooperation is really annoying. 

Oh, how I look forward to the scenes where Mac brings him in for questioning and Jason stares off into the middle distance and repeats "I won't say anything without my lawyer" with an "I must complete the mission" monotony...SAID NO ONE EVER.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I really hope DZ stays. That said, I thought I’d see him more with Olivia. At least, I thought he was living at Q mansion. I liked how he didn’t screw with Dustin and was straight with Lulu and didn’t attempt to lie to her. 

• Love 1

Speaking of Dev's long, bumpy ride to the hospital, historically, the original "Floating Rib" fine dining restaurant was across the street from GH.  It's proximity to the hospital gave it its name. 

Speaking of bumpy, KeMo needs to invest in a better-supporting bra, so she doesn't knock herself out running to Jason.

Can't Cyrus give Brando the night off to mourn his "son"?  "Well, break's over, Dev's dead, back to work."

More crying over the dead.  Again.  I'm surprised Brad is still alive. 

• LOL 8

Also, the casting of nuLucas is so random and badly done. First off, I think he could be playing Brad’s father. He looks that old. He seems like a he would be a giant next to Brad. He was towering over the other cast members.  I guess Brad will be in that hospital bed for a long time. It’s not like he has to look exactly like old Lucas but somewhat similar in looks and height would have been a better transition for me at least. 

• Love 9

Sam thought she was leaving a bunch of voice messages for Jason, but in reality, he blocked her number a long time ago. He was tired of the daily barrage of sleepy-voiced messages that were never about the kids (who were usually at the Q mansion anyway) or anything urgent. Mostly she was just monologuing about her mother, about Julian, about Valentin, about Peter, about Brando, about her parole officer, about whoever she hated the most in that moment. She would always finish with "Anyway, I was just wondering what you were doing. Call me." She was going to see him in person later that day anyway.

Then there were all the texts with pictures of her in stores, for example, holding up identical black blouses and wanting to know which one she should get.

So he blocked her, and she still doesn't realize it. She still calls and thinks she's leaving messages, but they're going to a filter. Usually she has forgotten about all the messages by the time she sees him. On the rare occasions she brings it up, he just says his phone died.

He came back to the Floating Rib when he heard about the explosion some other way.  

• LOL 14
8 hours ago, ciarra said:

historically, the original "Floating Rib" fine dining restaurant was across the street from GH.  It's proximity to the hospital gave it its name. 

oh interesting, I always get confused and think it is a boat (the Haunted Star)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ciarra said:

Speaking of Dev's long, bumpy ride to the hospital, historically, the original "Floating Rib" fine dining restaurant was across the street from GH.  It's proximity to the hospital gave it its name. 

Was it in the old PC Hotel?  For some reason I thought it was on an upper level of a high rise type building.  

How terrible am I that I was really disappointed Danny wasn’t one of the casualties?  That kid annoys me for so many reasons, mostly because of his parents, but now that he talks and stuff.  Ughhhhh.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Thanks, @Katy M. I should have figured that the dive bar wouldn't be in the best part of town, heh.

It's next to the Q mansion.  There's a secret doorway that leads from the boat house.  Actually that would have been really funny.  I can hear Edward now. Either one of them.

• LOL 4

I sort of wish they would show the Recovery Room from Port Charles, which was by the hospital as well.  As it is, Julian's heirs will probably sell Charlies to Mac and Felicia or something.

And Mac should start denying service to mobsters.  I would say criminals, but that would end all business in town permanently.  But really, how many businesses have been destroyed or damaged by mob bs?  Since Sony took over even?  Luke's was shot up a couple times, Kelly's was bombed and shot up, FR has now been bombed, and those are just the restaurants that I could name off the top of my head!!

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Julian should donate everything to charity rather than to his thankless children.

I was going to say that Leo didn't deserve that, but Leo's a Q (step) kid, so he's fine. I wonder, assuming Julian dies, will Ned adopt the kid? Or will his and Liv's problems stop that? Because that wouldn't really be fair to the kid, who has had Ned as a father figure his whole life. Plus, Ned should have more kids than just Brook.

I can't believe I've given this much thought to Leo.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

So are we not doing a Thanksgiving episode this year, or at least not this week? Just chaos and death? Very on brand for 2020, I can roll with it.

Poor Cam breaking down over Dev was rough. Everyone else's reactions felt muted, which is weird, given the screen time he got. Liz truly needs to book an appointment for Cam with Kevin after the calamity this kid's endured. Glad we got to see Grandma Laura pay him a visit today.

Sam questioning if Carly was okay with her perilous, pack up and run lifestyle made me raise an eyebrow. There is no way Miss Ride-or-Die is doubting her choices, and that line felt it was just a chance for Carly to affirm that all the baggage that's associated with Sonny and Jason is worth it. If something's repeated enough times that makes it true, right?

I think Emme Rylan has done some good work these last couple weeks and it kind of sucks that she showed up as an interesting actress right before Lulu went into a coma. Too little, too late, I guess.

• Love 3

Welp, Pres-elect speech cut off the last 10 minutes of the show, but I got to see Sonny, Carly, and Jason close ranks, and leave Sam on the outside. They've got to be heading for a break-up and we're about to hear Carly sing another verse of "weak wimmins can't handle mob life like I can."

I'm really sorry to see WDV go, especially like this. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Linny said:

Poor Cam breaking down over Dev was rough. Everyone else's reactions felt muted, which is weird, given the screen time he got. Liz truly needs to book an appointment for Cam with Kevin after the calamity this kid's endured. Glad we got to see Grandma Laura pay him a visit today.

Whatever Oscar and Dev left to be desired as characters to watch, they were Cameron's closest (really, only) male friends of his own age in recent years, and they both died. In a perfect world, that would get explored as much or more than the fact that they were a love interest and love-not-much-interest for Josslyn.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

In related news, Show, Lucas is Lulu's cousin, he should not be her doctor.

I'm pretty sure he isn't and that he was speaking to Laura and the others in his capacity as a family member. I think he said that he spoke to the doctor about Lulu.

Julian resisting leaving PC because of his children and grandchildren. Seriously, Julian, that's such a flimsy excuse to want to stay around and be executed. Your children don't want you in their lives and you barely ever see your other son and grandkids. Dude, pack up and go. The position he is putting Ava in is impossible. 

Jason has the time to send bodyguard with long hair a text message to get Sam and the kids over to Sonny's place, but has no time to send Sam a message to tell her someone is coming to pick her up. She looks like she's reaching her breaking point with Jason. And it's not like Jason is going to pack a bag and hightail it to Puerto Rico.

Speaking of bodyguards, the one who was with Joss and Trina, Trent, was it? Well he's very yummy. Very handsome guy.

Liz made me feel more emotions about Dev's death with her reaction than Carly and Sonny did. 

• Love 10

No cliffhanger moment; the President-Elect's Thanksgiving speech cut off the last 6 minutes or so of the show. Honestly, I was just sooo happy and relieved that the breaking news turned out to be his speech instead of more tragedy. 

I called it that Lulu would have major brain surgery and they have to wait to see if it looks like she'll wake up. Good Laura/Kevin/Dante/Nikolas scene(s).  I feel so bad for Dante after what he said in the chapel to Sonny.

Ava's outrage and despair toward Julian was well done. I rolled my eyes that Avery, in bed asleep, got to stay at Wyndemere with Ava not because Ava asked Sonny but because Jason told Sonny he thought it was okay for now. On the other hand, I laughed at: Sam's quiet simmering about Jason just letting the bodyguard show up - via text- without calling her first, then Jason telling her she can go to Puerto Rico if she wants to, and then C/S/J being in agreement about what next.

Molly's scene with Sam was one of the few times I thought Molly did well/was not annoying in ... I don't even know how long. Unfortunately she's talking to a sister who acts like it's a struggle to stay conscious. 

Loved the Laura-Cam dynamic. WL is, as always, VIP of the teen set. My heart broke for him when Elizabeth broke the news of Dev's death.  On the other hand, I almost laughed at how Joss got some tears in her eyes about Dev, then begged for her and Trina to be allowed to go be with Cam right. this. minute. The girls hugging Cam, and the three talking about gratitude and the time they have, was sweet though. It seems like Joss is about to declare to Cam in front of Trina that she has feelings for him? Summary of J&T's reaction:  Cameron is essential to our lives. Sorry Dev died-it's  unfair. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

Welp, Pres-elect speech cut off the last 10 minutes of the show, but I got to see Sonny, Carly, and Jason close ranks, and leave Sam on the outside. They've got to be heading for a break-up and we're about to hear Carly sing another verse of "weak wimmins can't handle mob life like I can."

I'm really sorry to see WDV go, especially like this. 

I got the Indiana Governor cutting off the last 30 minutes, which he does regularly. Always 2:30. ALWAYS. Then at 3:00 they jumped to Biden. When does ABC.com put up that day's episode for streaming?

Thursday's episode is last year's T'giving episode.

Ugh that Jason tries to barge into the living room at Wyndemere. Rude!

8 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Jason has the time to send bodyguard with long hair a text message to get Sam and the kids over to Sonny's place, but has no time to send Sam a message to tell her someone is coming to pick her up.

I know! I laughed at Sam huffing that she didn't get a message from him about Long Hair being there. Sam, how many more examples do you need that you aren't Jason's top priority? She's so dumb. Boo to Molly instantly agreeing to whatever Sonny wants. 

Ava yelling at Julian about the bomb is a bit rich coming from someone who deliberately set fire to her own gallery. How about a little historical perspective, huh, Ava?

1 minute ago, ChicksDigScars said:

When does ABC.com put up that day's episode for streaming?

At 8 p.m. ET.

• Love 1

Will Lipton is a really good actor. Rebecca is too of course, but I felt Cameron's pain for Dev's death. The way the actor just teared up and started sobbing was really good. You know he cared about Dev. It was the BEST reaction to Dev's death that I've seen. Sonny and Carly were lukewarm. Trina and Joss didn't give me much. Brando was the next best, but WL did a great job. I hope when he learns the lies Dev told, he will remember that Dev wanted to confess something to him and won't hate him too much.

I was cheering Ava on today.  As she told Julian, in his effort to not be killed, he's gotten so many more ppl killed and/or hurt! It's ridiculous. Julian just needs to leave. As I said a day ago, steal a car and start driving! He is so incredibly selfish and is, IMO, trying to drag her down w/him. I need Julian to man up and face the consequences or leave town! 

Sam . . . . what can I say about her? Was today the first day she realized she was married to a mobster? Why was she giving that guard all that flak about leaving? Just pack your stuff and leave.  And, no, Jason didn't call/text you b/c you are not a priority, Sam! She should know that by now. And why is she always giving Jason attitude? What was up w/her shock that Jason wasn't going to PR w/her? Did she honestly think he would? His priority is Sonny and Sonny's family, not you and your kids! You should know this by now, Sam!!! Does she really not know who she married or who she is shacking up with? 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:
41 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

In related news, Show, Lucas is Lulu's cousin, he should not be her doctor.

I'm pretty sure he isn't and that he was speaking to Laura and the others in his capacity as a family member. I think he said that he spoke to the doctor about Lulu.

Yes, that's what Lucas said, that he had asked Portia's permission, as lulu's doctor,  to speak frankly to Laura as a member of the family.  

I'm curious as to why Lucas was operating on Franco's head.  Yes, he's a trauma surgeon but he's not a neurosurgeon.  

I thought it was ironic that within a one hour episode, both Franco and Lulu had had brain surgery and were in ICU.  Whereas Ava was still screaming at Julian about the same thing in that entire time!

At this point was does Julian want Ava to do?  She said his options are tell Sonny the truth and  die or head out of town to hide and he's all, I don't like those options.  What do you want, dude? 

Edited by perkie1968
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Liz made me feel more emotions about Dev's death with her reaction than Carly and Sonny did. 

This. Also, I was ticked off that Elizabeth's trying to hold in the tears because her son has been injured and his friend is dead,  her husband is undergoing major brain surgery ... but no one has bothered to give a damn about her physical or emotional well-being when she was in the explosion too until Scott comes along.  She has an open cut on her forehead, is still dirty and her her hair is almost black from the soot. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, ByaNose said:

And, the only thing I’ve seen online (and, the show) is the aftermath when Luke comes to the apartment. I can’t imagine that it was lost or destroyed (maybe) because I think it may have been the same episode or the day after. 

The scene with her telling Luke was years later. Laura came upon a dead guy in her apartment (as one does) and it caused a flashback/PTSD moment to the David Hamilton thing. Luke wasn't even on the show yet when she killed DH.

• Love 4

The headgear on Franco and Lulu is pretty funny. This is where the show decides to go all in? I almost prefer the bandage on the right shoulder.

"Her recovery will take a long time. If she recovers at all." Laura, talk to Jax. He can give you the name of a good facility.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

came upon a dead guy in her apartment (as one does)

The "as one does" made me laugh!!

1 minute ago, ulkis said:

Yes, Laura and Dante and Maxie WERE morons to not insist Lulu be checked right away. Lulu too but she had a head injury so that's the reason for her.

In Lulu's defence, she was sitting in a cubicle, waiting to be seen, for a very long time.  She was there, waiting during both the Dante conversation and the Maxie conversation.  The only time she walked away was to go to the chapel to talk privately with Dante, and that was more for plot point effect of her dropping, him catching her and carrying her back to Portia.   If anything I blame Portia or whoever else was on call in the emergency room for keeping her waiting just because she didn't look like she was in that bad of shape.  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

GH needs some of the blame. Someone there should know a blast can cause brain damage even if no symptoms are present.

And since Cyrus is the CEO, let's blame him especially since he was the one that order the bomb to be blown up.

Can I say that I was very happy to see that Sonny has hired some cutie bodyguards in Rob (?) long-haired guy and Trent.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Biden couldn't have waited an hour? Show is preempted in the 3 p.m. slot for his Thanksgiving speech.

I know!  Who starts a speech at minutes before the hour?  Weird scheduling.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

GH needs some of the blame. Someone there should know a blast can cause brain damage even if no symptoms are present.

Really ridiculous. The girl had an enormous beam fall on her head and pin her down due to an explosion. Not exactly a slight bump on the noggin. Maybe get her right in for a brain scan or at least a concussion check? 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Linny said:

I think Emme Rylan has done some good work these last couple weeks and it kind of sucks that she showed up as an interesting actress right before Lulu went into a coma. Too little, too late, I guess.

I've noticed this phenomenon before: actors who do their best work or really give it their all again when they know they're about to leave. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Julian resisting leaving PC because of his children and grandchildren. Seriously, Julian, that's such a flimsy excuse to want to stay around and be executed. Your children don't want you in their lives and you barely ever see your other son and grandkids. Dude, pack up and go. The position he is putting Ava in is impossible. 

ALL OF THIS. Especially the bolded. Ava has been running in circles and spinning plates for him, and while I've never been that big of a fan of her character, even I feel bad for her!

I thought Maura West did good work today  with Ava's pleads to Julian, but it remains to be seen if he'll listen in time.

• Love 6

I was ready for the intervention scenes to have a fair share of scenery-chewing but was very pleasantly surprised.  The anguish and concern from CH/Diane was so real (and she looks terrific), and while JPS/Valentin played it entirely differently his scenes were great too.  Sam and Molly mostly made pissy-face but Diane and Valentin made up for it.  I don’t know how NLG feels about playing drunk Alexis but she’s done it well.  Alexis in truth-telling mode is a bonus.

Kudos to the set and makeup people for the Floating Rib explosion; they really did go all out.  Sam and Jason’s reunion at the Rib felt like the first scene they’ve shared in quite some time, which is not a complaint.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

I've noticed this phenomenon before: actors who do their best work or really give it their all again when they know they're about to leave. 

I think part of it is that sometimes the final scenes are the best they've gotten in a long time. They have an actual purpose instead of just filling time.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

But did she know she was leaving when those scenes were shot? Since the news appears to have been a shock to her, maybe ER was under the impression that Lulu would be in a brief/temporary coma.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Yes, that's what Lucas said, that he had asked Portia's permission, as Lulu's doctor,  to speak frankly to Laura as a member of the family. 

Ah, missed the qualifier, though you can't blame me for not giving the show the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

In Lulu's defence, she was sitting in a cubicle, waiting to be seen, for a very long time.  She was there, waiting during both the Dante conversation and the Maxie conversation.  The only time she walked away was to go to the chapel to talk privately with Dante, and that was more for plot point effect of her dropping, him catching her and carrying her back to Portia.   If anything I blame Portia or whoever else was on call in the emergency room for keeping her waiting just because she didn't look like she was in that bad of shape.  

I know but it made everyone look stupid.

• Love 2