Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Why were those kids hanging out in a bar!??!

( I mean, I know, plenty of bodies, raises the stakes etc, but... Come on!)

Also, poor Cam, this is his third major trauma this year (kidnapped by Shiloh, kidnapped by Cyrus, now blown up)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, TVbitch said:

Cyrus and Julian were the best part of the show today.

Cyrus lied to Julian about how/when the bomb would go off, shocking. I will say Julian trying not to cry as he said good-bye to Alexis, and her wondering what's going on, was well played by both actors.  I guess Julian will now go back and try to rescue people?

I call utter b.s. that suddenly, teenage boys are hanging out at the Floating Rib and Jason would think it's a good place to teach Danny how to play pool. And since when does the Floating Rib have an arcade game?!

I figured Lulu would be there when the bomb went off. I did not think Elizabeth and Franco would be.  Why didn't they meet Cam at Kelly's?!?!  Dustin is an idiot to propose "to demonstrate his commitment" seconds after they agree that it's not a good time for him to move in since Lulu is trying to figure out her feelings and what to do for herself and the kids. 

I guess Dante is going to run in and try to save Lulu during Monday's episode.  Maybe I should be moved by the preview of Sam's tears and begging for news about Jason and Danny, but I'm not.

I am amused by Sam getting all pissy at Valentin for stating the obvious, that he has a better chance of getting through to Alexis than she does. 

• Love 8

I love Valentin's thinly veiled contempt for Sam. It's so fun to watch.

Lulu, you have to figure out what you want your life to be, not have your mom arrange it for you.

2 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

Why were those kids hanging out in a bar!??!

It's also a restaurant, though, like Charlie's.

• Love 7
Just now, bannana said:

So all of those people were in the Rib when the bomb goes off? I didn't really understand what happened. Did the bomb go off because Julian called Renault, or because the bartender found it?

Pretty sure the bomb was auto rigged to go off when Julian was "calling" Renault on the burner phone he was given, because it's been made very clear that Renault doesn't care about anyone's lives. He just wants results.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Cyrus lied to Julian about how/when the bomb would go off, shocking. I will say Julian trying not to cry as he said good-bye to Alexis, and her wondering what's going on, was well played by both actors.  I guess Julian will now go back and try to rescue people?

I call utter b.s. that suddenly, teenage boys are hanging out at the Floating Rib and Jason would think it's a good place to teach Danny how to play pool. And since when does the Floating Rib have an arcade game?!

I figured Lulu would be there when the bomb went off. I did not think Elizabeth and Franco would be.  Why didn't they meet Cam at Kelly's?!?!  Dustin is an idiot to propose "to demonstrate his commitment" seconds after they agree that it's not a good time for him to move in since Lulu is trying to figure out her feelings and what to do for herself and the kids. 

I guess Dante is going to run in and try to save Lulu during Monday's episode.  Maybe I should be moved by the preview of Sam's tears and begging for news about Jason and Danny, but I'm not.

I am amused by Sam getting all pissy at Valentin for stating the obvious, that he has a better chance of getting through to Alexis than she does. 

You shouldn't because it's not good.

2 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Pretty sure the bomb was auto rigged to go off when Julian was "calling" Renault on the burner phone he was given, because it's been made very clear that Renault doesn't care about anyone's lives. He just wants results.

That would mean that Julian didn't wait until the place was empty? That was confusing, since Julian only relented when Renault said the place would be empty except for Jason.

I was really surprised  because I thought it would only be Danny in danger.

2 minutes ago, bannana said:

That would mean that Julian didn't wait until the place was empty? That was confusing, since Julian only relented when Renault said the place would be empty except for Jason.

No. Julian didn't know he would be the one to blow up the whole place. He thought he was just leaving the package behind and that Cyrus was going to take care of the rest. He talked about a meeting in a closed place, basically hinting that Jason would be lured there when the place was closed and empty. If Julian had known the bomb was going to go off within minutes of him leaving, I doubt he would have left it there, especially with Danny inside the joint. 

I thought the idea was a really good one to have Julian be the one who blew up the place thinking he was calling Cyrus. But what a thankless exit for WdV.

I'm assuming that Lulu and Dustin are both done for. 

The picture of Danny and Sam that Julian was looking at was taken while Kelly was wearing the same sweater she was in this episode. Couldn't even bother to make the picture look a bit older than that, show?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, bannana said:

I was really surprised  because I thought it would only be Danny in danger.

Renault told him to call the burner phone to tell him that the bomb had been dropped off.  Yes, he told Julian the bomb would go off when Jason would be alone at the Floating Rib for a meeting. I think the implication is that Renault was telling Julian whatever was needed to make him comply with the order.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

In today's installment of Shut up, Sam: she copped an attitude with Valentin awful damn quickly and for really no reason at all. If he cares enough about Alexis to come to Sam's shoddily planned intervention (did she have any plan beyond luring Alexis into the room?), she should be gracious enough to put aside her personal distaste for him and accept his support. It's not like her strategy of pouting and issuing ultimatums could possibly do any worse with Valentin in the room.

Welp, at least the kids got to have some fun playing together before the room exploded. The visual of Dev and Cam sitting at the bar with their glasses of water or whatever was amusing to me; I don't think we've ever seen the teens hang out there before, and they looked out of place. I'm bummed that Laura was there and didn't speak to Cam before running out to find Sonny. Laura has more family than Lulu, show, c'mon. 

Oh, Dustin. He's lucky that bomb went off before Lulu had the chance to reject that insecure, last-ditch proposal. Clinging to a relationship by giving a girl a ring (while seated at a table at the local dive, oof), talk about YIKES. 

• Love 7

I really wasn't sure if they would have Julian go all the way with it and outright, of his own volition, leave the bomb in a crowded restaurant. I figured Julian would ultimately come to his senses but it would be too late and his attempt to get rid of the bomb would fail. But he just blew full speed past the point of no return. Wow. Of course Cyrus was lying and OF COURSE the burner phone is the detonator! And of course this thought failed to dawn on Julian. What a pathetic character to the bitter end. They didn't even take AJ, town whipping boy, to this extreme of a point. 

I'm actually looking forward to the next episode and I'm bummed I have to wait the weekend to see what happens next. It's been a long time since I felt that way about GH. 

• Love 7

I thought WdV did a nice job with NLG and in the bar, too. He hasn't really had much chance to do work like this, given Julian is always the town goat.

5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Poor Mark Lawson. A thankless role with a thankless end. The ring Dustin had felt right for his income level. Usually it's always something giant and gaudy so we know it's an engagement ring.

Do we think Dev is done for? I couldn't care less about Danny or Jason.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I hope they just stick Lulu in a long-term coma versus pretending to kill her off and then coming up some cockamamie BFTD story in a few years.

Poor Mark Lawson, what a waste indeed.  You could have revealed Dustin's bisexual and put him with Lucas, Show!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Linny said:

Oh, Dustin. He's lucky that bomb went off before Lulu had the chance to reject that insecure, last-ditch proposal. Clinging to a relationship by giving a girl a ring (while seated at a table at the local dive, oof), talk about YIKES. 

ESPECIALLY since Lulu closed her eyes, took a breath and expressed her relief that he was also re-thinking them moving in together right now because of Dante's return and the associated feelings.  Yes, getting down on one knee with a ring at the local dive bar while discussing your love's ex-husband is a mega YIKES move.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought WdV did a nice job with NLG and in the bar, too. He hasn't really had much chance to do work like this, given Julian is always the town goat.

Poor Mark Lawson. A thankless role with a thankless end. The ring Dustin had felt right for his income level. Usually it's always something giant and gaudy so we know it's an engagement ring.

Do we think Dev is done for? I couldn't care less about Danny or Jason.

I want Danny and Jason to die but I can never have nice things.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Dustin

The cable guide description for Monday has him doing something.

The writing for Julian is cartoon like at this point. So Julian is so scared of Sonny killing him for not saying anything about Wiley that instead of just LEAVING TOWN, he lets himself be blackmailed by various people into doing even worse/stupider things?! I don't care if Cyrus threatened his family, then he would just go to Sonny and Jason at this point for help. I wouldn't be surprised if Julian literally gets down on his knees to Jason and Sonny and pleads for pity to them, because FV is petty like that.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

Intellectually, I know that it's a good set-up to have everyone (Cam, Liz, Franco, Lulu, Dustin, Dev, Jason, Danny, maybe Dante) congregating at the Floating Rib and it should have me on tenterhooks. But somehow I just can't work up any excitement about it.

Aren't Julian's fingerprints going to be all over that bag? No matter when it got detonated, he'd still be on the hook. Cyrus blowing up a crowded bar is even more stupid. Blowing up Jason alone would only bring on the Keystong PC Kops.  Blowing up all those people means the feds too.

I still have trouble buying Dev and Cam going to the Floating Rib to talk. Are they suddenly rich? The prices there have to way higher than Kelly's or Charlie's.

Sam is just the worst. Did she think that calling together three other people to harangue Alexis would work because he harangues didn't?  Was Kristina not invited because she would have known what a bad idea this is?  I hate this because no one is asking why is Alexis drinking now and how can we help her?  Instead it's just non-stop berating.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

getting down on one knee with a ring at the local dive bar

What's wrong with proposing at the local dive bar? Not everyone wants the fancy dinner, flowers, and all that stuff.

I don't think Dustin was right to propose, but the location is the least problematic thing, IMO.

11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Intellectually, I know that it's a good set-up to have everyone (Cam, Liz, Franco, Lulu, Dustin, Dev, Jason, Danny, maybe Dante) congregating at the Floating Rib and it should have me on tenterhooks. But somehow I just can't work up any excitement about it.

IK,R? But the people who we want to die won't, we'll probably have to watch Sam sob over Danny's hospital bed for days on end, Jason will vow revenge on Cyrus, and Dev will live, dammit. There are absolutely no stakes here. Lulu might be in a coma/dead, but we know the actor is leaving, so there goes that suspense. Even if we didn't know, Lulu hasn't made much of an impact. Too many people lift right out, so a death doesn't leave much of a gap.

11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Was Kristina not invited because she would have known what a bad idea this is?

They hand-waved it by saying that Kristina and Alexis push each other's buttons and Kristina's presence would be counterproductive, as if Sam isn't the world's biggest anyway. At least no one thought Sonny should be there. Small favors.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Lulu might be in a coma/dead, but we know the actor is leaving, so there goes that suspense.

Well, we know, but I'm sure a lot of the audience doesn't.

They should have blown up tiny ass Charlie's, not the Floating Rib.

• Love 4

I had no interest in watching Sam's stupid intervention but then Diane brought Valentin along, I couldn't fastforward as he is always fun to watch.

So it is official. Sam gets her dummy genes from Julian. Why would Cyrus give him a burner phone just so Julian could tell him the bag was left at the Floating Rib. Cyrus could have used any of his minions to do that. Of course, Julian detonated the bumb. His fingerprints all over the evidence. Next step for Cyrus would be to kill Julian who would tie him to the bombing.

I hope Mac and Felicia insurance rate don't go up to high. Didn't the Floating Rib have something happened when Joss and Oscar were trapped in the freezer? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, nilyank said:

I hope Mac and Felicia insurance rate don't go up to high. Didn't the Floating Rib have something happened when Joss and Oscar were trapped in the freezer? 

I think that was at Charlie's?  I remember Joss being an entitled B about Julian letting her have the dance there.

4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I think that was at Charlie's?  I remember Joss being an entitled B about Julian letting her have the dance there.

Nope. It was the Floating Rib. I just check on youtube. It was when the gasleak caused all those underground explosions.

God I cannot believe that I actually looked for Oscar and Joss clips.

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
20 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Jason: "Families have disagreements but they don't give up on each other."

Says the man who completely gave up on his Quartermain family for decades.

In fairness, he had a brother who was fat. What else could he do?

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There's been speculation here that it's probably going back to the murder of David Hamilton, which I think Laura did, except I think it was another actress? Scottie said she was a "kid" when it happened, and I've only known Genie as Laura, but I understand Genie herself is a recast.

I'm hoping that's what it is, instead of revisiting the retcon that Laura killed Rick's side piece, also around that time, and retconning it when Laura went crazy for Cocoa Puffs, and how Scottie said he covered it up for her, and Laura killed Rick, thinking he was going to kill her. GAH. I STILL get rage blackout at how Guzasshole killed Rick off and at Laura's hand. UGH.

Genie Francis was playing Laura at the time when she killed David Hamilton. That was good stuff. I think Genie was only 17 or 18 at the time. She was in such heavy story with all these old guys such as Hamilton and later Luke. Even Kin Shriner is 8 years older then her. Anyway, David Hamilton was just using her and really wanted Lesley (or they had actually slept together) and, Laura accidentally killed Hamilton when he was taunting her about it & not being in love with her and was just using her. High drama at its best. So, that’s the only thing I can think of 40 years ago and Laura wasn’t a kid like Scotty said. She was a teenager. So it begs to question is it that storyline or a retcon storyline that is being used. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Genie Francis was playing Laura at the time when she killed David Hamilton. That was good stuff. I think Genie was only 17 or 18 at the time. She was in such heavy story with all these old guys such as Hamilton and later Luke. Even Kin Shriner is 8 years older then her. Anyway, David Hamilton was just using her and really wanted Lesley (or they had actually slept together) and, Laura accidentally killed Hamilton when he was taunting her about it & not being in love with her and was just using her. High drama at its best. So, that’s the only thing I can think of 40 years ago and Laura wasn’t a kid like Scotty said. She was a teenager. So it begs to question is it that storyline or a retcon storyline that is being used. 

Yes, @Cheyanne11 confirmed Genie was playing Laura then up thread.

It doesn't matter if she was a teenager. Back then, if you were a teenager, adults would still refer to you as "a kid" as Scottie did here. But it's semantics. We'll all find out if Hack!Frank actually pulled something from the show's history, made something up from out of his ass, or retconned something else entirely.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

So, that’s the only thing I can think of 40 years ago and Laura wasn’t a kid like Scotty said. She was a teenager. So it begs to question is it that storyline or a retcon storyline that is being used. 

I think teenager qualifies as a kid in the way people use that phrase.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

No. Julian didn't know he would be the one to blow up the whole place. He thought he was just leaving the package behind and that Cyrus was going to take care of the rest. He talked about a meeting in a closed place, basically hinting that Jason would be lured there when the place was closed and empty. If Julian had known the bomb was going to go off within minutes of him leaving, I doubt he would have left it there, especially with Danny inside the joint. 

I thought the idea was a really good one to have Julian be the one who blew up the place thinking he was calling Cyrus. But what a thankless exit for WdV.

2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Renault told him to call the burner phone to tell him that the bomb had been dropped off.  Yes, he told Julian the bomb would go off when Jason would be alone at the Floating Rib for a meeting. I think the implication is that Renault was telling Julian whatever was needed to make him comply with the order.

So Julian is just stupid!? Well, I guess he is because he revealed all his dastardly deeds to Renault and that is what got him into this situation.

I actually thought Dev was going to steal the knapsack and was pleasantly surprised when he reported it as a suspicious bag.

• Love 3

Here's my question about the potential David Hamilton thing - is this anything Cyrus can actually use against Laura?  Because I'm reading about it on Wikipedia and it says Laura confessed and was sentenced to probation.  And Scotty said yesterday that everyone knows, that it was in the press and everything.  So where's the scandal?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

What's wrong with proposing at the local dive bar? Not everyone wants the fancy dinner, flowers, and all that stuff.

You don't have to have a fancy dinner and flowers to create a romantic, special setting for a proposal.  I feel like there are several problems with this dive bar setting alone: she started getting to known Dustin because she was with Maxie at the Floating Rib, crying about Dante leaving/divorcing her. Most recently, they celebrated Maxie and Peter's engagement at that same dive bar and things got awkward with Dante running into them there. It's such a casual place that a kid is even playing an arcade game there now. Dustin said he got there quickly when she called because he was in the area. He decided to propose in a very casual, unromantic location (hell, AJ and Carly conceived Michael there during their ONS!), out of the blue (expect for buying the ring) , where she has history both with and crying over her ex-husband. Who knows what crud may stain his pants from kneeling on the floor of the FR. 

If Dustin had wanted to propose to the woman he loves "with all his heart," he could have chosen, and planned to do so, where he and Lulu have special memories - a spot where they started spending time together and he helped Rocco with baseball, a cafe they both like from date nights,  even Laura and Kevin's front porch would have been a more appropriate place. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Bringonthedrama said:

If Dustin had wanted to propose to the woman he loves "with all his heart," he could have chosen, and planned to do so, where he and Lulu have special memories - a spot where they started spending time together and he helped Rocco with baseball, a cafe they both like from date nights,  even Laura and Kevin's front porch would have been a more appropriate place. 

But none of those sets exist.  And The Floating Rib > Dunkin Corinthos.

Anyway, none of this was about Dustin, or Lulu really.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

But none of those sets exist.  And The Floating Rib > Dunkin Corinthos.

The Show had a public park set for when Dustin was bonding with Rocco over baseball.  If it was "too cold" to spend time out and about in a park, he could have told Lulu he really wanted them to drive by a new area of the park where Rocco can play ball, then proposed in the car there.

2 hours ago, Hater said:

I want Danny and Jason to die but I can never have nice things.

Monica does not deserve to lose a grandchild after all the family losses she has suffered.  I don't want Alexis to lose her grandson either, especially after he said to Jason they miss Grandma Alexis (what can I say kiddo, your mother sucks).

• Love 11

I knew there was something that I forgot.

When Laura was trying to draw comparison with Lulu regarding her feelings of Dante and her new relationship with Dustin, she used Scott as her example of her former love. Nope. It should have been Luke (her great love) while she chose her future with Kevin now.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, nilyank said:

When Laura was trying to draw comparison with Lulu regarding her feelings of Dante and her new relationship with Dustin, she used Scott as her example of her former love. Nope. It should have been Luke (her great love) while she chose her future with Kevin now.

THANK YOU!!!! I just saw that and I was like, Excuuuuuuuuse me? No, that would be Luke, you know, your great love AND father of your children--one who is sitting right in front of you?

PATRICK SHOUT OUT! yeah, I'm pathetic. It's just that about 8 years ago around this time, we were getting General Hospital: Scorpio Espionage Edition! With Robert coming out of his coma, insisting Robin was alive, and, you know!

SHUT UP, Sam! Last time I saw, Kristina and Alexis were getting along just fine. She absolutely should be in on this "intervention". Not to mention it was Valentin who got you your new parole officer so you and Jaysus could be together...oh, wait...forgot that Jason has been avoiding you ever since that happened! How's that working out for you?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Of all of the opportunities for mayhem, the writers could have put Sam in the Floating Rib and had her blown to smithereens! Such a missed chance to put us all out of our collective miseries!

• Love 10

Valentin rightly says "I think we should be prepared for her to feel attacked no matter how we pretty up the words" and Sam takes that as him attempting to ruin things--"that's why I didn't want you here."  Sit down, you moron, pointly out what could go wrong (and DID) is how you prepare.  God, she's so stupid.

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Valentin rightly says "I think we should be prepared for her to feel attacked no matter how we pretty up the words" and Sam takes that as him attempting to ruin things-

Yeah, Sam is stupid.  What bothered me more though is that Ned and Jax, who were close to Alexis many years before Monaco was even cast as Sam, let alone chosen to be the long-lost daughter, were missing from this "intervention." I HATE that instead of focusing some attention on long-time BFF Alexis, Jax is absorbed with Nina's find-my-baby-drama and Carly's secret(ish) Nelle's dead drama.  Jax and Diane, with Valentin and Ned as primary back-up and Molly and Sam as secondary back-up in the room, would work much better since there's been so much hostility between Sam and Alexis. Molly clears wants to help her mother, but she's really not sure how to do it.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, another Scorpio set (Hey, it's a Scorpio Set cuz both Mac and Felecia own/run it!) destroyed. Bleargh.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts after I've actually watched this.

I firmly believe Elizabeth's house is the Webber, then Scorpio set with the kitchen and front door switched around, but can't find confirmation.

I am wondering if some people got out because of Dev, or even the bomb was tossed into the alley, because he noticed it in time. Although that wouldn't kill Lulu, which is what we think happens.

49 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Valentin rightly says "I think we should be prepared for her to feel attacked no matter how we pretty up the words" and Sam takes that as him attempting to ruin things--"that's why I didn't want you here."  Sit down, you moron, pointly out what could go wrong (and DID) is how you prepare.  God, she's so stupid.

It’s strange since Alexis has already lashed out at Sam twice when she tried to get her to stop drinking. She should expect it. I don’t see how an intervention would work. Sam was already keeping her kids away from Alexis and that didn’t stop her from drinking and Sam was already “done” with her at the MC. She hasn’t been seeking Sam out, or anyone really. Cutting Alexis off is just giving her what she wants. 

2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Yeah, that was weird, but it is true that she's gone back to Scotty arguably as often as she's reconciled with Luke. And at least Scotty never called her an old sweatshirt!

• Love 1

Just thinking here ... if something happens to Lulu, Valentin will take Charlotte but would Rocco join the Quartermaine daycare or live with Madam Mayor as Spencer did since Dante can't take care of him? Not the Corinthos child-stealing, please.

5 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

She hasn’t been seeking Sam out, or anyone really. Cutting Alexis off is just giving her what she wants. 

I don't think that's what Alexis wants. She wants to have a purpose and a life again. But she lost Neil, and she lost her profession.= and now she drinks to blot it out.

Sam's best card right now is her kids because that's one of the few things Alexis will get sober for. Molly and Kristina have their own lives and don't want Alexis too involved but Danny and Scout love and miss her. Sam should be telling Alexis that she can see the kids if/when she's sober, and Diane, who encouraged her to have an affair with Neil, should be working on getting her a new job.   But Sam would rather harangue her mother instead of helping her. She's really picked up that smugness from Carly.

• Love 6