Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: My Shot

• Start Topic

Well excuse Deluca for being disappointed considering Meredith told him she loved him. Apparently he was always just supposed to know that Meredith viewed him as a toy. I swear do people hear themselves when they go on about this? I’m all about feminism but if the genders were reversed Deluca would be getting raked across the coals. 

and people are saying “I understand merediths sentiment saying she couldn’t be with him if she lost her license, Derek would have said the same” except if Derek said that to Meredith he would be getting DRAGGED for it. Merediths behavior this entire arc has ranged from good intentions to ridiculous to entitled and smug and no amount of writers dosing the audience with nostalgia and throwing in a Cristina letter tongue bathing Meredith as the sun is gonna change that. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, dmc said:

Not here for these people blaming Glasses for being responsible enough to do his job

That really, really, really pissed me off.  If it had been a mistake and he hadn't caught it and reported it, bigger mistakes could have been made that could have endangered a patient.  Glasses did the right thing.  It's not his fault Meredith was doing the wrong thing and got caught.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, dmc said:

Not here for these people blaming Glasses for being responsible enough to do his job

Yes, I forgot to mention how they treated Glasses.  He didn't deserve that and I hope he doesn't just gloss over how they treated him, especially when his boyfriend comes sulking back.  I hope Glasses kicks him to the curb for good.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, izabella said:

That really, really, really pissed me off.  If it had been a mistake and he hadn't caught it and reported it, bigger mistakes could have been made that could have endangered a patient.  Glasses did the right thing.  It's not his fault Meredith was doing the wrong thing and got caught.

And it's not like he even knew he was turning her in. He thought he was doing the right thing and fixing a mistake. It's not like he heard Meredith committed fraud and wanted her to get caught.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, izabella said:

yep

12 minutes ago, izabella said:

I also don't understand why in hell those interns would care so damned much about Meredith.  She hates all of them and refuses to learn any of their names, much less bother to teach or mentor them. 

because it's in the script

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, I forgot to mention how they treated Glasses.  He didn't deserve that and I hope he doesn't just gloss over how they treated him, especially when his boyfriend comes sulking back.  I hope Glasses kicks him to the curb for good.

That scene was awful for literally all the reasons (especially for making me have a moment of sympathy for a character I loathe), but I'm 99.9% sure HAOG wasn't actually present in that scene.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

That scene was awful for literally all the reasons (especially for making me have a moment of sympathy for a character I loathe), but I'm 99.9% sure HAOG wasn't actually present in that scene.

Ha! It's the second time within weeks that you've sympathized with Contacts. By the end of the season you'll stan!

• LOL 3

So what the hell did I just watch? Meredith gets a free pass because she's the sun, and because the judge loves to hear inspirational stories. Bailey is "good again" because she regrets being fair and firing a doctor for a very good reason. Glasses is the villain because, for once, he was a good professional.

Most shocking of all: two responsible doctors gleefully celebrate the death of a man who had a seizure in front of them and had to undergo a surgery because of it. One of them might have inadvertently caused his death, but that doesn't bother her at all. Because, you know, vengeance is such a beautiful thing. Don't you love happy endings?

Edited by maddie965
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I could've sworn I saw HAOG in that scene.

Did anyone rewatch this episode?  

Edited by Ohwell
8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I could've sworn I saw HAOG in that scene.

Did anyone rewatch this episode?  

The only time I remember seeing HAOG in the episode was earlier when he gave Contacts the tie he had in his locker (which was kinda sweet). 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The only time I remember seeing HAOG in the episode was earlier when he gave Contacts the tie he had in his locker (which was kinda sweet). 

Ok, maybe that's when I saw him.  I still need to rewatch though.

• Love 1

And it's not like he even knew he was turning her in. He thought he was doing the right thing and fixing a mistake. It's not like he heard Meredith committed fraud and wanted her to get caught.

Is this the first time we found out he's the one who tipped off Bailey? I don't remember that being part of the original storyline. Seems like a bit of a retcon. I was under the impression someone just saw the paperwork and realized it was Meredith's daughter's name on it.

Bailey is "good again" because she regrets being fair and firing a doctor for a very good reason. 

I thought Bailey's testimony was wildly out of character. She's been pretty consistent that she's pissed off she had to fire three of her best surgeons but to sit there in the hearing and pretend she and Meredith were never close was just odd.

The whole hearing itself was odd. It was a laundry list of all of Meredith's past misdeeds, including flashbacks. But that's not what she's "on trial" for. She's only there because of insurance fraud. I get that this isn't a court of law but things she did as an intern or resident have no bearing on this case. Whether or not she should lose her medical license should solely be based on the insurance fraud.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The whole hearing itself was odd. It was a laundry list of all of Meredith's past misdeeds, including flashbacks. But that's not what she's "on trial" for. She's only there because of insurance fraud. I get that this isn't a court of law but things she did as an intern or resident have no bearing on this case. Whether or not she should lose her medical license should solely be based on the insurance fraud.

Yes, this.  The only thing they should have been doing was deciding whether she should lose her license because a court had found she had committed insurance fraud.  That's why she was doing community service, and that's why she lost her job.  That she committed the crime was not in question; it was just whether the crime was enough for her to loser her license because she did something illegal as a doctor.  Doesn't matter how many people she saved.

I will say, though, her past crimes should be considered because it shows a pattern of behavior of committing crimes and unethical acts as a doctor.  Again, doesn't matter how many people she saved when she is constantly committing crimes and can be counted on to continue doing so.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 6

Unsurprising that Meredith got her licence back.

I so hope Maggie and Jackson aren't getting back together.

I'm also confused by something. I might be misremembering, and I can't remember her name, but wasn't the woman who Callie left the show with thought to be responsible for Derek's death? Just how many people are responsible 😛 ?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm also confused by something. I might be misremembering, and I can't remember her name, but wasn't the woman who Callie left the show with thought to be responsible for Derek's death? Just how many people are responsible 😛 ?

Penny was partly blamed because she was on Derek's case but was meek and didn't speak up. Then, to the fault of the writers, they ended up having Meredith console and have a teachable moment with a distraught Penny shortly after Derek died - the last thing Meredith should've been doing and not anything anyone wanted to see. 

Penny ruined season 12 like Minnick ruined season 13 and somehow of all the past people to feature in flashbacks, those two made the cut in this milestone episode. At least we got to see Lexie - you know, the "Grey" that the hospital is actually named for. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is this the first time we found out he's the one who tipped off Bailey? I don't remember that being part of the original storyline. Seems like a bit of a retcon. I was under the impression someone just saw the paperwork and realized it was Meredith's daughter's name on it.

That's what I always assumed too, I don't think we heard about Contacts being involved before. Honestly, half the hospital must have known what was going on though. Everyone there should have recognized that the little girl was not Meredith's daughter.

• Love 3

I'm disappointed and even somewhat upset by this episode. Not surprised Meredith kept her licence, but I was wondering how the writers would pull that off. This episode was a mess from start to finish. And she keeps her licence mostly because of the patients who came pulling at the panel's heartstrings (and supposedly ours). Triumph of emotions of reason, of feelings over facts, is for me one of the bane of modern society, and actually scares me. Emotions can change very quickly, feelings can be manipulated, and here they were.

This type of hearing is about the law, and about medecine and science. People on such panels are of course expected to have feelings, they are not robots, but they are also expected to keep those feelings in check. Meredith did commit insurance fraud, and this was not addressed at all. The vision of Meredith I have at the end of the episode is that she's a good doctor, probably no question there, but she thinks that gives her rights above others'. And when facts do not go her way, she (and her friends) is fine with manipulating people's emotions to get where she wants. I'm not OK with this, and I'm very disappointed that the show would tell us it's an acceptable behavior.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That's what I always assumed too, I don't think we heard about Contacts being involved before. Honestly, half the hospital must have known what was going on though. Everyone there should have recognized that the little girl was not Meredith's daughter.

That's what even makes the story arc even more stupid. When Richard looked he was: "That isn't Elias." Of course could he have just said: "We'll just pay for the surgery and be done with it." OF course, the writing was done on the fly. All of a sudden Pro Bono work was outlawed by both Katherine and Baily because of... reasons. Yet they can go rent expensive limos and plane trips and so forth. As for Schmidt, he just is a moron who in the "real world" would have never been a doctor or would have flunked out his first year. I mean he passed out forever if he saw blood? Really? This is funny? How about the one who doesn't understand how a woman can give birth, even though she is a Woman herself, oh but she is gay. Isn't this diverse? Or the 3rd in her class, who is Muslim who ends up watching stray dogs and is told to go get a life. Yeah, such fine teaching there? Let's cap it all off by another hospital where the doctors faint from being yelled at by kids. Unmarked grave yard in their back yard and patients dying when they see problems and then tell the surgins: "Well, you didn't ask. So why should I talk?"

• Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, ams1001 said:

...are you my dad...? 😆

(That's his response to any "why did they do that" questions.)

seriously though that's the answer, Meredith isn't even nice to the interns

• Love 2

What a fatuous load of tommyrot.  I cringe when watching Chicago Med but this ridiculous drivel makes CM seem award-worthy.  This show is so past the sell-by date it's growing fungus.

Triumph of emotions of reason, of feelings over facts, is for me one of the bane of modern society, and actually scares me.

Me too.  That was the unsettling part.  

Edited by limecoke
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 11/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, MaryRhodaPhyllis said:

This was all kinds of absurd. But because we've spent over 15 years now expecting nothing less, I'd call it a rather fitting milestone episode for the series. 

It was like a parallel universe version of the Seinfeld series finale!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2019 at 12:05 PM, Bulldog said:

The beatification of Saint Meredith is now complete.  The hospital can really save on electricity costs as the glow from Mer's halo can light any OR she enters.

She can join Saint Benson from SVU in the TV pantheon. Olivia's sainthood stopped me watching SVU and St Grey's may do the same if episodes like this are too frequent. 🤮

• Love 4
On 11/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I always find the Grey's Tries to Handle Legal Issues episodes especially cringe worthy.

YES! The Callie/Arizona custody battle was so wrong in so many ways. And this one was too.  As someone in legal profession [tho not in Seattle] this hearing was insane.  I don't know how they do it out there but in my state, there would not have been a judge present at all [tho he didn't seem to do anything here], just a panel of doctors [or lawyers for legal ethics cases].  Also, the issues & witnesses would have been narrowed pre-trial and all this stuff about how she got in to the program, adoption of her daughter etc. would've been excluded.  Also, all these people showing up doesn't matter because the supposed ethics violation is about Medicaid fraud, not her competency as a surgeon.  Oh, and the panel would have been provided certain things before the hearing - the initial complaint and response at least, and maybe pre-trial briefs, so I call total BS that the chairman did not recognize Meredith Gray's name and realize she was the spouse of Derek Sheppard.  As someone else noted, D was world-renowned and she has won the big Whatever Award - the chairman should have known and recused himself prior to the hearing.  There is more, but I'm getting annoyed all over again, so I'll just stop.

I really am in to Amelia and Link.  Maggie is on my last nerve.  I don't blame her for her sadness/guilt etc over the lost patient/cousin, and Jackson shouldn't have been all flirty but she just acts so childish about things.  And this is also why you should think hard before dating someone you work with [and whose mother is married to your bio-dad].  

Glasses does seem like a moron, but he didn't rat out Mer; he asked a question because he was concerned there had a been a mistake and for all these interns to turn on him is stupid.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 11/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, Quark said:

Unsurprising that Meredith got her licence back.

I so hope Maggie and Jackson aren't getting back together.

I was literally screaming at my TV, "GET AWAY JACKSON!!!!! LEAVE!!!!" I swear I was about blow my top until he stopped himself. And that's a first because usually in this show, when two people are drinking and vulnerable, neither person is going to stop themselves. Thankfully Jackson did.  And I hope nothing more comes from this in proceeding episodes, like Jackson suddenly realizing how much he loves Maggie.

• Love 4

Bailey was dead on. Meredith could commit murder, and Richard would hide the body. Yes, there's stuff you do for family, but if you keep covering for them, how are they ever going to learn to face consequences for their actions. He perjured himself when talking about the medical trial. Everyone in that room knew he was lying. Bailey would have probably done anything for Richard, as long as it wasn't illegal. I care deeply for my best friend or sibling, but I'm not about to hide evidence or commit perjury for them.

The fact that the cut LVAD is on the public record and mentioned like just a transgression, instead of a serious breach of medical ethics and rules, is a joke in itself. The lawyer should have straight up asked Richard why he didn't fire those 5 doctors right then, and see what answer he comes up with.

As others have said, this episode made a mockery about what was actually on trial. She committed insurance fraud, and that's why her license was in jeopardy. The lawyer was right in asking about the pattern of behavior, and bringing up the the previous offenses. But that didn't matter. Having every attending from the hospital and bringing in her past success stories is sufficient enough evidence to not take away Meredith's medical license. So I guess that will be the play the next time Meredith breaks the law and is under review. Make it about feelings and bring in people she's saved to show what a savior she is.

It would have been more believable if Meredith actually showed contrition for what she did. She could say that she did the wrong thing for the right reasons. She can admit that she knows she broke the law, and will try to make the system better so that patients in Gabby's situation never have to go through the same thing again. Just admit she was wrong and ask for forgiveness. But no. She simply got off because she's the freakin' Meredith Grey, the savior, and that trumps the rules and the law.

And what they did to Glasses was totally wrong. He didn't rat anybody out. He's an intern, and he was following procedure. What was he supposed to do? Meredith or Bailey need to clear this up and clear his name. And all the attendings needed to be at Meredith's hearing? Leaving the interns in charge, save for Koracik.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 8
On 11/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, AriAu said:

If you are watching for reality, or even some semblance of how real people would act, you should have tuned out right about the time they cut Denny Duquette's LVAD wire.

By the way, pretty funny listing all the things the SUN has been disciplined for....maybe she shouldn't be a doctor!

Oh....shut up Judith. What interesting stunt casting. altho having Marin Hinkle play a shrew is pretty much type casting at this point.

I laughed and laughed and laughed. It's a parody of itself now. Absolutely hilarious! I loved hearing the litany of crazy things Mere has done or has been involved in over the years!

I am laughing just thinking of it!

Edited by taanja
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Bailey was dead on. Meredith could commit murder, and Richard would hide the body. Yes, there's stuff you do for family, but if you keep covering for them, how are they ever going to learn to face consequences for their actions. He perjured himself when talking about the medical trial. Everyone in that room knew he was lying. Bailey would have probably done anything for Richard, as long as it wasn't illegal. I care deeply for my best friend or sibling, but I'm not about to hide evidence or commit perjury for them

Well then -- in this shows logic-- you don't really LOVE them.

Remember in the very early years -- Mere and Christina were each other's "person" because they would help one another hide the body.

And obviously per Richard -- he is Mere's "person" because he would help her hide the body.

Hey! it makes sense to me! 

and makes me laugh and laugh and laugh....

I figured out that this was supposed to be a special number episode as soon as they started with all the callbacks so I upped my disbelief and rolled my eyes.

As a tribute to Meredith Grey, rather than to the show as a whole, it was good. Unfortunately for me, I've never liked Mer and I've never watched for her. The whole St. Meredith thing didn't work for me.

I understood Amelia's fantasy of hurting the doctor who killed her brother, it's something that Joseph Agassiz wrote about in his book On Paranoia. Where I didn't like Amelia was her frenetic cheerfulness of "And I didn't kill him".  That was the old tumor Amelia.

I was also disappointed at De Luca telling Meredith that he's leaving her to decide if she wants to continue their relationship. Have some self-respect and stop being her doormat.  If she doesn't value you other than as a baby sitter and a fuck buddy, move on.

1 hour ago, taanja said:

Remember in the very early years -- Mere and Christina were each other's "person" because they would help one another hide the body.

And obviously per Richard -- he is Mere's "person" because he would help her hide the body.

Good saying. The problem is, Meredith actually does need someone to hide the bodies that she screws up on for her.

• Love 3
On 11/18/2019 at 10:39 AM, AzraeltheCat said:

Glasses does seem like a moron, but he didn't rat out Mer; he asked a question because he was concerned there had a been a mistake and for all these interns to turn on him is stupid.  

This is reminding me of the plot where Alex blabs about Meredith violating protocols so Richard's wife doesn't get the placebo during the clinical trial for a potential Alzheimer's treatment. IIRC, Alex did it deliberately, but he also got iced out by everyone and I remember Owen asking him something like, "What did you expect? You betrayed the most beloved person at this hospital." Even then, I remember thinking: Really? Her?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2019 at 11:52 PM, krankydoodle said:

This is reminding me of the plot where Alex blabs about Meredith violating protocols so Richard's wife doesn't get the placebo during the clinical trial for a potential Alzheimer's treatment. IIRC, Alex did it deliberately, but he also got iced out by everyone and I remember Owen asking him something like, "What did you expect? You betrayed the most beloved person at this hospital." Even then, I remember thinking: Really? Her?

Yup, I remember this. I also hated it because it was the stupidest justification ever. Alex was punished by Owen for ratting out The Sun when she was the one who had broken the law. It was so unprofessional of Owen. His reasoning was just so dumb.

• Love 1

Jesus. Bailey is insufferable. She just gets more and more arrogant every season. Remember when they referred to her as the "heart of the hospital?" Not anymore. Maybe sleeping with Ben Warren turned her into an obnoxious ass? Before she was just annoying. Now, she's ridiculous. Is arrogance contagious? 

Interesting that the show is trying to get Kate Walsh back (YES, please) and Netflix just decided to bring Private Practice back to its line up. Coincidence? 

Why the fuck did we get mention of Callie and Arizona and Addison, but we got an actual flashback of fucking MINNICK? WHYYYYYYYY?

And yeah, can we just get rid of Glasses? Schmitt is not George. He's never going to be George. Stop trying to make him into George. 

And come sit by me, DeLuca. Pretty, pretty DeLuca. Don't listen to the meanies here. You're too good for Meredith. She'll give you sun burn. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

This is possibly the worst episode of Grey’s Anatomy that I’ve ever seen. WTF?

When Alex read Cristina’s letter out loud, and he said the words, “The Sun,” I immediately knew that this show jumped the shark. There is no fucking way Dr. Cristina Yang would write in a professional letter. Again, WTF?

• Love 7

Considering who* the show uses  as their medical expert to help add realism to the show, I am in no way surprised to see everything to far removed from reality.

*im solely judging a book by its cover here, but he comes across as someone who might just pass as an orderly at best. 

This episode was awful

The new doctor is hot, he’s clearly there for the Sun 

Also I think what  Jo is doing is great, but I hope she ran it by her therapist.  She’s got a promotion and she’s doing well, I hope this isn’t a setup for her to be devastated and relapse 

Edited by dmc

I liked this episode. Liked all the callback to all the crazy things this show has done, and that is just the medical shady stuff, not taking in account all the other disasters these people have been through. 

I was obvious to me that Meredith would not lose her licence, and as much as I hate the sun line, hated it the moment Cristina first said it, but that's a conversation for another time, it is the Meredith show. Or is seems to be in the last 4 seasons. What surprises me is the shift they took, is seems until Sandra and Patrick left they presented it as an ensemble show. Once they left it's like they were trying to rewrite the story and insisted that is was always about Meredith. 

But I did think Ellen gave a great performance going of on that doc. And I laugh hard at Deluca being such as insecure man child. Meredith in a way will always love Derek, first he is the father of her children and second he died, it's not like they broke up for her to stop loving him. And yes she respected him, because even when Derek was being an ass he always understood where Meredith was coming from. Can you even imagine Deluca putting up with the Mer/Cris antics like Derek did.