Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: Baubles + Soles, The Yard, Dog Threads, The Peanut Butter Pump

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

I thought the shoe decorations were awful and clunky looking.  The idea of adding accessories to shoes is nothing new - i remember buying different bows and things for my children's' shoes many years ago (they also had them for adult shoes).  I always tune out when the personal stories (especially when accompanied by tears) come out, so I have no idea of the background of the woman (who seems like a terrific businesswoman) .

The peanut butter pump really wasn't very practical.  It takes up a ton of space, is probably going to clog and I guarantee will be difficult to clean.  I've never had a problem cleaning out a jar of peanut (or any nut) butter, and I eat it all the time.  I get what I guess Kevin calls "artisanal" peanut butter - made in small batches by a guy in Virginia, and made only with peanuts and a little oil.  No added sugar, no sodium. and it's delicious and does not need to be refrigerated.

I hated the shake thing (I never heard whatever expression they were referring to, so had no clue about "Yard"), it just seemed like having a shake as a meal replacement would appeal to a limited market.  They were expensive, and while I don't mind getting some ice cream every so often, I can't be the only person trying to cut down on sugar consumption, even on vacation or an outing.

I am a major dog parent, but we don't wear the same clothes, in fact I have never dressed her up, although she does have some nice collar covers for the holidays).  I think T-shirts would work better on the dog line,  but I liked the people.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more offended (in a minor way, this isn't a rant) - why can't people let their dogs just be the wonderful animals they are without embarrassing them? 

Generally I have to say that it is so obvious that many of these people only want a deal with Mark.  I realize that he is the wealthiest, and has a professional sports team but I am tired of him refusing to permit the entrepreneurs to listen to other deals.  That's bullying (sort of), and it puts the poor people at a real disadvantage,  They should cycle him off for a season or two. 

• Love 8

I didn't notice tears but I was enamored by the quick discussion of her being a detainee of 3 years. Gulp. Hated the product tho.

I didn't understand The Yard name either. Nor did I hear anything about it being a meal replacement. My hearing must stink! The price of the shakes were spendy.

Nothing tonight excited me. The peanut butter pump was whacky.

• Love 1

My only comment is about the shoes, which basically looked like Crocs but with cheap plastic add-ons.  I think Daymond only ended up giving her a deal because of her story.  I would not pay any amount of money for those shoes for my kids. Ugly as sin and horrible for your feet.

• Love 8

The peanut butter pump seemed ridiculous, but I was surprised they didn’t link it to Scrub Daddy, which was also aimed at getting everything out of the jar. 

Nonetheless Kevin’s grandiose pronouncements about the artisan peanut butter community (and the gentle derision of the other sharks) were simply hilarious.  He should have had a Societe Tastevin equivalent. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Nonetheless Kevin’s grandiose pronouncements about the artisan peanut butter community (and the gentle derision of the other sharks) were simply hilarious.  He should have had a Societe Tastevin equivalent. 

Good call. Kevin already dresses like Mr. Peanut. It wouldn't be a stretch to add Societe Tastevin de legume to his CV. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

For those clueless about the “Yard” reference:  The song “Milkshake” by Kelis came out in 2003 and peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart later that year. It’s well-known and best-remembered for the lyrics “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.”

Those shakes looked delish. They were expensive but were so big I would expect people to share them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

What the heck were those lantern releases shown in the Radiance update?  Nowadays everyone is protecting the environment and trying to ban balloon releases, so why are they releasing all this waste into the stratosphere?  Unless there's something I'm missing, like it's tied to a string and is retrieved and recycled?

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 8

Okay, I'll admit to dressing my (small) dogs.  Small dogs need sweaters or coats in cold weather, so it's kind, not cruel.  I also put them in more "fun" outfits.   Our current dog actually likes her clothes.  But I digress (and don't mean to start a debate about dressing dogs).

I've never really considered dressing LIKE my dog.  Might do it once for a party, a joke/gag thing - definitely wouldn't be an every day thing.  However, the price point was really high.  Yes, dogs can wear stuff forever, but $40 for a doggie T-shirt is very expensive and another $70ish(?) for the human version.  That's way too much for what would likely be a one or two time event.  Make it $50 for the set (even if quality isn't super high) and I might be interested.

Count me as one who is more than tired of Mark's bullying.  I wouldn't have a major issue if the product was so wonderful that all of the sharks really wanted a piece and he (or anyone else) made an offer first and wanted the advantage of doing that.  But he does it just to be a jerk.  I'd really love for a "contestant" to say, "Thanks, Mark, but a smart business person doesn't make knee-jerk decisions, so I'm going to listen to X's offer."  If Mark pulls his offer, so be it -- they know they have at least one more coming. 

The other products did nothing for me.  If this is the best the producers can find, maybe it's time to end the show. 

• Love 5

I didn't really care for the shoe thing, but I really liked the couple who owned it, so I'm glad they got a deal.  The product looks to be focused on toddler girls, and is really for the parents (Mom) rather than the kids at that age.

The milkshake company ha a pretty good product, so I can see why it would be popular in vacation spots along the coast.  People on vacation will part with a lot of money for decadent stuff like that.  Plus, you get to keep the jar its in!  I was thinking that another good place for these things would be on cruise ships.  Those vacationers would eat these every day!

The dog clothes and the peanut butter companies both seemed dumb.  I guess there's a market for these, but they sure don't appeal to me.

I liked Radiance when it first appeared on Shark Tank, so I'm happy its doing well.  Those paper lantern "events' seem a little silly to me (don't they catch on fire and rain down destruction on random peoples' homes?), but the owner said they sold 1000 units in that one day!  I'll bet they could have sold a lot of those giant milkshakes there that day, too!

• Love 2

Mark is such a tool. Hasn't he passed on products before because they're so unhealthy and don't fit his brand? The Yard gives you diabetes at a premium price point with a souvenir jar to store all your new diabetes medications in. 

The peanut butter pump was just Spatty part 2. Why waste our time with this stuff? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, LAgator77 said:

Mark is such a tool. Hasn't he passed on products before because they're so unhealthy and don't fit his brand? The Yard gives you diabetes at a premium price point with a souvenir jar to store all your new diabetes medications in. 

The peanut butter pump was just Spatty part 2. Why waste our time with this stuff? 

Thank you!  I meant Spatty when I said Scrub Daddy earlier!  I had a feeling I was wrong, but I couldn't remember the name Spatty.  I knew it was a miniature spatula. 

Kevin's peanut butter claims where hilarious.

I didn't like the bobbles for the shoes, but I liked the entrepreneur.

Get Mark off the show. He's overbearing and a pain to watch.

I actually think the peanut butter pump is great for those who live in homes with people who have allergies to peanut butter but still want to indulge. There's less clean-up after using the pump. Just have to make sure to clean your dish and wash your hands properly. You may not even get much peanut butter on your hands, and you're not contaminating food boards and butter knives and touching other parts of the kitchen.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 4

I could see the Peanut Butter Pump work for people who have issues, due to arthritis or whatever, opening a jar/taking off a lid.  And I believe one of the sharks mentioned commercial space so it seems like that would be a good environment for the product, somewhere you have the large oversized containers and go through a decent amount of p.b. at a time.  

I liked the shoe couple better than I liked their product.  Although they did get a deal, I think the biggest selling point would be having to buy small children fewer pairs of shoes.  

I am one of the folks that dresses my dog.  He's a Boston, he has short hair and he gets cold during half the year.  He also gets excited over his shirts and pajamas.  So I would definitely purchase clothing for him.  But I've never worn matching clothing, nor have I thought to.  Especially not for $68 per shirt.    But the sharks should know at this point never to underestimate the pet parent market.

The Yard milkshakes looked delish.  Definitely something for a vacay environment, between the cost and the calorie count.  Nice that you get to keep the glass and the location(s) have a sink where you can wash it out.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jal said:

I actually think the peanut butter pump is great for those who live in homes with people who have allergies to peanut butter but still want to indulge. There's less clean-up after using the pump. Just have to make sure to clean your dish and wash your hands properly. You may not even get much peanut butter on your hands, and you're not contaminating food boards and butter knives and touching other parts of the kitchen.

I'm glad you mentioned allergies.  I thought of peanut allergy also, as it seems so widespread today.  As a result, do kids still eat PB sandwiches?  Maybe most kids still have no allergy, but then they are restricted from taking the sandwiches to school. 

14 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I'm glad you mentioned allergies.  I thought of peanut allergy also, as it seems so widespread today.  As a result, do kids still eat PB sandwiches?  Maybe most kids still have no allergy, but then they are restricted from taking the sandwiches to school. 

My kids go to a Peanut free school. But on weekends they live off of PB&J sandwiches. Still-I have no desire to purchase the pump.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

My only comment is about the shoes, which basically looked like Crocs but with cheap plastic add-ons.  I think Daymond only ended up giving her a deal because of her story.  I would not pay any amount of money for those shoes for my kids. Ugly as sin and horrible for your feet.

They looked horribly uncomfortable. They also didn't solve the problem of being able to match one pair of shoes to every outfit because you can only change the decorations, not the actual color of the shoes. I don't think they'll last long; however, I thought the same thing about Crox twenty years ago, and they're still around. I'm obviously not the target market. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Generally I have to say that it is so obvious that many of these people only want a deal with Mark.  I realize that he is the wealthiest, and has a professional sports team but I am tired of him refusing to permit the entrepreneurs to listen to other deals.  That's bullying (sort of), and it puts the poor people at a real disadvantage,  They should cycle him off for a season or two. 

I think Mark does it because it puts people at a disadvantage. If they listen to another deal, it may be better and he will have to change his offer.

Some of the Sharks do that when they make an offer and it gets ignored while the entrepreneur begs someone else to come back in. Which seems a little more understandable than a case like last night where they very respectfully thanked him and said they just want to listen to the offer.

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Lot's of schools don't allow peanut butter. I had PB almost ever day in elementary school, I don't know what else I would have eaten.

I liked the PB pump thing as an idea, I think if you have kids and are making sandwiches everyday it could be convenient. However, it was way too big, and I would not buy it because I keep peanut butter in the refrigerator. I also usually just take spoonfuls out of the jar to eat off the spoon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nlkm9 said:

I’m sorry even on vacation i would not pay $25 for a milkshake. No matter how yummy it is.

I agree! That's the price of a steak dinner, and it looked like all the goodies was sitting on top.

I did like the peanut butter pump but I think it's best for commercial use. I eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon and I don't refrigerate it, I like mine soft.

I didn't like the shoes at all.

I don't have pets but if I did I wouldn't dress them. When I did have pets, my little dogs stayed in the house and only went outside long enough to do their business and my big dogs stayed in the garage with plenty of blankets and again only went out long enough to do their business so why would I dress them. And why would anyone dress like their dog, that's almost the same as dressing like your kid. I don't get it.

2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I’m sorry even on vacation i would not pay $25 for a milkshake. No matter how yummy it is.

I may have if I was splitting it with someone, which would also solve the problem of the 1,000+ calories. But milkshakes are kind of a gross thing to share.

I'm sure they are really good, but they said the highest calorie shake was 1,800. That's sometimes more than I eat in a day. I am all for an occasional indulgence and I love ice cream, but this was just too much even for me.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, GussieK said:

What the heck were those lantern releases shown in the Radiance update?  Nowadays everyone is protecting the environment and trying to ban balloon releases, so why are they releasing all this waste into the stratosphere?  Unless there's something I'm missing, like it's tied to a string and is retrieved and recycled?

My first thought was 'I sincerely hope they're not in California.' Or any drought area, really.

Though I do love that scene in Tangled.

• Love 2

There were many things I did not understand about the appeal of the milkshakes (such as eating the brownie/cookie that was on top), but I was mainly confused about the layering of the chocolate and chocolate chips on the OUTSIDE of the jar.  How would one get that chocolate while drinking the milkshake (they just put some chocolate sauce IN the jar while placing the decadent looking thick chocolate and chips on the outside).  So, is one paying for a lot of components in the dessert that really aren't that edible?

I also thought of potential fire issues with the lantern release in the update.  Many parts of the country are in varying levels of drought.  It just seems like a fire waiting to happen and that makes it irresponsible in my opinion.  

I have been so over Mark for a while now, but each episode this season seems to amp up the unlikability factor for me.  I was happy that there weren't any guest sharks.  And, it was interesting that they did a PSA announcement about scams using the show to fool people into buying products.

• Love 2

First of all, most of the milkshake locations are in beach areas, such as Panama City, so things are always more expensive there.   I think the chocolate and chips, etc on the outside of the jar probably gets brittle, so it comes off in chunks.    I really think they're designed to be shared, which I find kind of icky, but I bet others won't.     I wonder if they've considered a mini-size?   

I didn't like the lantern releases, for the fire hazard reason. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

And, it was interesting that they did a PSA announcement about scams using the show to fool people into buying products.

I thought that was interesting, because I hadn't heard about fake Shark Tank products. But the Sharks all seemed super awkward doing it. Maybe they just can't read lines?

You're meant to partially eat the thing with a spoon or a fork. So I'm sipping my milkshake with a straw, but I'm also maybe dipping the brownie or blondie or cookie or whatever in the frosting/choc chip/topping schmear on the outside. Or I'm taking some with my spoon and eating some of the shake with the spoon. etc.

There are a ton of both local and chain stores around here that do pretty much exactly what The Yard does, minus the "keep the jar" (or even involvement-of-jar) so I was slightly surprised Mr. Wonderful didn't trot out his "nothing you're doing here is unique!"

Don't get me wrong, maybe once a year I'm totally in the mood for a ridiculous shake. I like that these things exist, but this company is not doing anything special.

• Love 2

I’m guessing a lot of the business The Yard does is people wanting to post the shakes on Instagram. It’s like those Starbucks unicorn drinks that were pretty but virtually inedibly gross. 

• Love 2

This episode alternately annoyed or bored me. Like most here, I thought the shoe idea was stupid. I think their tag line was from playground to party? Don't kids normally wear a running type shoe to a playground as it gives them more stability? I said to my husband that I can just picture a kid figuring out how to get the attachment off, putting it in his mouth and choking on it. A law suit in the making.

I was gobsmacked when all of those lanterns were released! How is that even legal? And I thought Robert had more common sense than to approve of something like that.

Peanut butter dispenser was stupid. I have no problem using the container my peanut butter comes in, with a knife (or spoon if I am eating out of the container). Another "solution" in search of a problem. 

I thought the dog clothes with matching ones for humans was cute, but too high of a price point. I don't have a dog, but do know many people who do put coats on theirs in the cold weather. 

I thought the milkshake was the worst idea of all (though what do I know I guess since they have stores). I would never in a million years order one - waaayy tooo messy for my taste (no pun intended). And way too big. 

LIke another poster said, if these are the best products the show can come up with maybe it is time to pack it in. And definitely time to give Mark a time out. 

• Love 2
On 11/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, dogdays2 said:

I'd really love for a "contestant" to say, "Thanks, Mark, but a smart business person doesn't make knee-jerk decisions, so I'm going to listen to X's offer."  If Mark pulls his offer, so be it -- they know they have at least one more coming. 

I agree.  I get it's for the show/drama, but it's also these people's companies and futures.

• Love 1

The problem is that Mark has the best stats for following through on the deals he makes.  
H was great when he first joined.  He made the show stop taking half of one percent from everyone who pitched, even if they didn’t get a deal.   Now he is so swell headed.  And I find myself feeling sorry for Kevin when he makes an offer and they ignore him hoping for Mark or even Lori.   

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2019 at 2:37 PM, seacliffsal said:

There were many things I did not understand about the appeal of the milkshakes (such as eating the brownie/cookie that was on top), but I was mainly confused about the layering of the chocolate and chocolate chips on the OUTSIDE of the jar.  How would one get that chocolate while drinking the milkshake (they just put some chocolate sauce IN the jar while placing the decadent looking thick chocolate and chips on the outside).  So, is one paying for a lot of components in the dessert that really aren't that edible?

I also thought of potential fire issues with the lantern release in the update.  Many parts of the country are in varying levels of drought.  It just seems like a fire waiting to happen and that makes it irresponsible in my opinion.  

I so agree. I'm mystified by exactly what you posted -- both the outside chocolate (huh???) & the crazy fire hazard. Crikey! Who thinks that's a great idea?

Those milkshakes were way too huge, and with all the crap stuck on the outside and piled on top, I can really envision a sloppy mess after a few minutes and the ice cream and everything else starts to melt and slide down the glass onto your lap, your hands and the table. I'd vote for a half-sized version. Maybe. And for half the price. For what those cost, I could buy enough ice cream, brownies, chocolate, whip cream and sprinkles for 10 Not Yard milkshakes and have stuff left over. Plus they were doing so well already, I did not see the need for a shark. IMO it was a big advertising promo, yet they got a deal. Amazing.

I could see the dog-clothes thing, even though the shirts were not something I would want to wear. My dogs wear sweaters in the winter, but no need for matching shirts. I think they were aimed more toward pets people carry around as accessories. There are ton loads of boutique dog clothiers though, many high-end. I wouldn't have given them a deal.

I thought the peanut-butter pump was a good idea and not worthy of the ridicule it got from one shark who had no use for it. I can see it sitting on the counter, pump a glob into your spoon and save time getting your PB snack. It could also lie on its side in the fridge, unless the PB would get too stiff to come out the tube. But it did a nice job of cleaning the jar and putting the PB on a sandwich with no tools needed. I might have given that guy a deal.

The paper lanterns were pretty, but I was gobsmacked thinking about all that crap falling back to earth, fire notwithstanding. Just the waste and mess people somewhere would have to clean up was overwhelmingly NOT environmentally sound.

Mark needs to STFU and get off the show.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

The milkshakes reminded me of Serendipity NYC. I remember going yo NYC as a kid and getting one of those giant shakes one time. for my 13th birthday. It was just as much for the ice cream as saying where you went? I wanted to take my daughter for her 13th birthday but we are not near NYC. I Heard that there was a second Serendipity in Vegas. It was not the same, sure the shakes looked similar but being in a casino was not the same. I think these type over the top food experience should not be franchised. 

The shoe thing clip decorations used to be sold at gymboree. Gymboree would have the tulip or whale line and you could buy every accessory you could imagine including clips to add to shoes or hair bows to match. I was thinking with such an incredible backstory and education, the business owner would have had some great new idea. 

SI still am enjoying shark tank. After this season of the profit, I feel like the sharks do invest and try to help the ones they like and do not try to take over the businesses they invest ib, 

• Love 2
On 11/11/2019 at 12:49 AM, LittleIggy said:

For those clueless about the “Yard” reference:  The song “Milkshake” by Kelis came out in 2003 and peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart later that year. It’s well-known and best-remembered for the lyrics “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.”

It's just such an awful name for their type of business.  So few people are going to get the reference, and that would only occur after they have found out what the business is and then they might make the connection.  No one, upon hearing about a place called The Yard, will think, "Hey, I bet they have huge creative milkshakes!"