Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Dex, Drugs and Rock & Roll

• Start Topic

When Dex’s ex Fiona, a famous musician, comes into town for a performance, Dex must protect her from a stalker. Meanwhile, Grey continues to receive the cold shoulder from Dex, and Tookie and Lieutenant Cosgrove develop a new friendship.

Airing Wednesday, November 6, 2019.

As a terrible bowler myself, Dex throwing gutterballs makes me feel seen.

I knew from the beginning Fiona’s manager was behind it when he tried to convince Dex that Fiona was making the stalker up for attention. 

I loved Ansel breaking things every time Grey talked to Liz. When he asked Grey if he was going to leave just like his parents, that made me so sad. I guess Dex and Ansel’s parents abandoned them and that’s why Ansel got taken into foster care? How awful. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I enjoyed the fact that while Dex has acted pretty smooth around the guys we've seen her with, Fiona had her all flustered. I liked seeing an ex and getting a little glimpse into Dex's past.

Ansel continues to be nicely integrated into the story. At first I was worried he wanted Dex and Grey to be together and didn't want the new woman taking Dex's place, but it makes a lot more sense that he'd be worried about Grey leaving them. The show's doing a good job of making him childlike in some ways, but not infantilizing him. (Same thing last week when his naivete basically got him kidnapped, but he quickly thought of a safe way out of it.)

I'm not big on the show pushing Dex and Hoffman as the endgame relationship right off the bat, and I'm definitely not looking forward to whatever love triangle/jealousy crap next episode's promo seems to be implying, but we'll see.

(Also, another two-week break already?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I liked seeing Dex’s ex, it gave us some more insight into her and her past, and its funny watching her being kind of awkward and nervous. Normally she is decently smooth when it comes to romance, but maybe not with people she actually had feelings for?

I called the agent being behind it pretty quickly, as soon as he told Dex that he thought Fi was making up the stalker, but it was still a nice to see Dex using her smarts to solve a case. I mean, I like watching Dex kick the crap out of people just as much as the next person, but I liked seeing her focusing more on investigating and using her brain. 

Tookie and the Lt. were a fun and surprising little subplot. Of all the characters I expected to interact, they were certainly not the ones I would have expected it, but it really worked! It was also nice giving Lt. Cosgrove some more development. Turns out she is not only a cop, but also a foodie and amateur chef! Which does sound quite Portland actually. I wonder how many of those cops also brew their own beer? 

I liked Grey's new possible girlfriend, and I liked how things went with him and Ansel. I thought that maybe he wanted Dex and Grey to get together, but actually he was just worried that Grey would leave them, which I liked a lot more. I hope that this is the start of Grey and Dex making up, I like their friendship so much that its sad seeing them fight. 

Dex and her gutter balls were hilarious. "Why are these shoes so ugly?" "So no one will try and take them home." Also, its impressive how Hoffman is able to use bowling as a semi deep line!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 16

Did I miss a line about Fiona having a new manager? It’s just that she didn’t even seem capable of hiring one.

Even better: How about a line from Fiona about getting back to having to manage her own affairs? You know, give her some agency. And stop snorting coke.

Anyway, the episode seemed like it wanted to be a Valentines Day episode, but the romance was like Dex’s gutter ball. 

—Unless you count the chemistry between the married cop and the married food truck guy. 
—which seemed like it was from a different show. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I don't know why Ansel wasn't busting Dex's balls instead of Grey's. What Ansel was doing was pushing Grey away, when Dex was the one causing all the friction.

I am guessing they are setting the groundwork for Tookie to cook at the bar and give a reason for Lt. Cosgrove to be there as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought the chemistry between Dex and Fiona was, actually, surprisingly strong. Although, the idea that former military would be welcomed at all in actual crust punk or even Fiona's glam-pop-punk circles defied belief. 

Who was taking care of Axel while she was overseas? Also, I really, really wish they stop having people, especially Dex, patronize him with 'buddy'. It's become the new 'My pops!' (see: How To Get Away With Murder) for me.

I find Grey just as dull as Hoffman, but painful to look at and really wish they'd conceived more complex and realistic supporting characters as anchors to the narrative. Watching those people eat dinner together sounds like a real bore.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with the comic upon which this show is supposedly based, but it's hard to imagine anyone would have had enough interest in it to option, develop and bring it to series if it's as watered down as this show is, for the most part. Hardly a rough edge in sight for a series that's premised upon a barely functional alcoholic trying to be a P.I. and which has a bar as its primary location. 

With tonight's episode, I think it would have been more interesting for the long game, if Dex had sat there and done rails with Fiona and genuinely contemplated running off, leaving Axel in Grey's hands. If she, ostensibly, already has her shit together, what's the narrative arc?

• Love 4

My favorite Dex moment was when Grey asked how long she's going to be mad at him and she told him as long as she felt like it. It would be one thing if she were being over the top about it or milking it just to get attention or gifts, but it's clear that she was telling the truth when she said that she's still processing it all.

It's not just that her brother was put in danger (which IS in itself a huge issue) but that Grey kept so much of himself a secret. Like she said, she feels like she doesn't know who he is.

He told some pretty big lies of omission and she has a right to feel however it is she's feeling, so I'm glad she told him as much. It drives me crazy when Person A does something wrong and then acts like Person B has to be over their hurt/anger by a certain point. You don't get to tell people when they have to stop feeling a certain way.

It was interesting to see Dex so flustered around Fiona. She's usually so calm and cool with her other love interests/sex partners so it was a nice contrast to see her clearly floundering with Fiona. She's used to being in control when it comes to her relationships and she obviously is not in control with Fiona. But I'm glad she still drew some boundaries. Fiona's lame "don't be boring" when Dex politely declined doing coke was telling though.

Part of me likes that Grey was so firm with his boundaries when Dex started being rude to Liz (?), the girl who brought the ghost tour to his bar, because Dex was really out of line. On the other hand, when he and Liz discussed it and he said that Dex would just have to deal with it, I thought wow, you are having this conversation after you slept together once? You've known each other for like 24 hours so it seems a little soon to be having the "your family hates me" conversation.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I enjoyed the fact that while Dex has acted pretty smooth around the guys we've seen her with, Fiona had her all flustered. I liked seeing an ex and getting a little glimpse into Dex's past.

Ansel continues to be nicely integrated into the story. At first I was worried he wanted Dex and Grey to be together and didn't want the new woman taking Dex's place, but it makes a lot more sense that he'd be worried about Grey leaving them. The show's doing a good job of making him childlike in some ways, but not infantilizing him. (Same thing last week when his naivete basically got him kidnapped, but he quickly thought of a safe way out of it.)

I'm not big on the show pushing Dex and Hoffman as the endgame relationship right off the bat, and I'm definitely not looking forward to whatever love triangle/jealousy crap next episode's promo seems to be implying, but we'll see.

(Also, another two-week break already?)

I'm perfectly fine with the show pushing Dex and Hoffman. And i'm still waiting for them to add more background to the Hoffman character.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Tookie and the Lt. were a fun and surprising little subplot. Of all the characters I expected to interact, they were certainly not the ones I would have expected it, but it really worked! It was also nice giving Lt. Cosgrove some more development. Turns out she is not only a cop, but also a foodie and amateur chef! Which does sound quite Portland actually. I wonder how many of those cops also brew their own beer?

They were my favorite part of the show. It was about time they lightened the Lt. up, and I love the way they did it (since I also love Tookie).

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, the episode seemed like it wanted to be a Valentines Day episode, but the romance was like Dex’s gutter ball. 

—Unless you count the chemistry between the married cop and the married food truck guy. 
—which seemed like it was from a different show. 

I was surprised at how much chemistry they had. It doesn't feel like it's a different show to me, though. Especially since Grey and the tour guide had a lot of chemistry themselves. (I kind of love that she's pretty much a scam artist - which puts her almost in the same league as Grey.)

I like that they're showing Dex's bisexuality.

8 hours ago, phalange said:

As a terrible bowler myself, Dex throwing gutterballs makes me feel seen.

I knew from the beginning Fiona’s manager was behind it when he tried to convince Dex that Fiona was making the stalker up for attention. 

I loved Ansel breaking things every time Grey talked to Liz. When he asked Grey if he was going to leave just like his parents, that made me so sad. I guess Dex and Ansel’s parents abandoned them and that’s why Ansel got taken into foster care? How awful. 

The manager did seem the pretty clear culprit, though I liked the path it took for them to figure it out.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I knew it was the manager when we basically got no other guest stars showing up about 20 minutes in, but how they dealt with the solving of the case was well done. They didn't need Dex to be the brawn, on this case. She was more of the brain and I appreciate that.

I'm not sure I loved Fiona/Dex together, but I liked seeing Dex all flustered and I appreciate what Fiona brought to Dex's story. I felt like Fiona was way too flakey at points, and also way too nonchalant about having a stalker. She literally didn't seem to care. "Oh, he's getting closer." Great, can you sound a little more concerned? 

Tookie and Cosgrove's stuff was monumentally fun to watch. I didn't expect myself to enjoy that as much as I did, but seeing them bond over their love of food was great. Plus, it's the first time they gave Cosgrove something interesting to do that wasn't playing the bad guy to Hoffman's good guy routine. 

Hoffman/Dex is still interesting for me. I do enjoy watching the two interact. 

The Grey/Ansel stuff was decent enough. I like Grey's new girlfriend Liz, but I also can't help but wonder what her endgoal is. Is she there just as a love interest for Grey, to create drama with Grey, Ansel and Dex? Is she there trying to scam Grey? Is Liz working with Kane and is keeping tabs on Grey for him? Is she just there to give Grey manpain when she dies? I'm not sure what the angle is. Unfortunately, TV has gotten me on my toes when new love interests are introduced. Which is a shame, because Liz seems like a solid character who I could enjoy watching. I liked her interactions with Ansel and Dex, even if it was brief.

I'm glad they have Ansel so balanced in terms of his character arc. I didn't mind that he was wary of Grey leaving him and Dex because he's noticed that Dex is pissed at Grey. 

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

An eyeroll worthy moment: when Dex told Fiona they couldn't make out because Dex could lose her license, Fiona who said, "But who's going to know?" Uhhh, Dex just handed you a photo that your stalker took of you sitting in your hotel room.

That's what made me think that the manager WAS telling the truth about her faking her own stalking. I thought that she maybe hired someone to take that photo to make Dex think that there was a stalker. Fiona couldn't have sounded less concerned about her being in danger.

• Love 8

I just don't get Dex being mad, she goes from how can I ever trust you again with Ansel, to can you watch Ansel because I want to get my freak on. You can't have it both ways.

48 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

An eyeroll worthy moment: when Dex told Fiona they couldn't make out because Dex could lose her license, Fiona who said, "But who's going to know?" Uhhh, Dex just handed you a photo that your stalker took of you sitting in your hotel room.

That bothered me too since the least she could of done was finish closing the curtains before making out with Fiona.

• Love 10

I don't really care about Dex's switch-hitting, but Fiona was just icky, imo. I also saw nothing 'punk' about her, but we didn't really see much of her act. She lives pretty well for somebody whose genre is dead as a doornail.

I did like the cover of (I think) 'One Thing Leads to Another', it was pretty (not punk!).

• Love 10

Not as good as last week, but not bad. I was glad that Dex is still angry at Grey and that they are still working it out because it was more realistic. I don't have a problem with her being angry at him, but still asking him to watch out for Ansel because that is how you roll with family. I am sure the show is going for the romantic triangle with Hoffman, Dex, and Grey, but I view Dex/Ansel/Grey as a family unit.

I like how the show is building Dex and Hoffman's relationship because I think that is where the romance is. I also think that eventually he will break down her walls, where Grey could not. Hoffman is wise to be hesitant about getting too deep in with her though. He should take his time and see how things goes. I was braced for the typical jealousy scene with Hoffman confronting Dex about sleeping with Fiona and was relieved when it didn't happen.

I like Grey's new girlfriend. She seems a bit sketchy just like him. They could be a good match. I chuckled when Grey sat next Ansel and said that the cutlery was a bit much and he agreed.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Elbow said:

I thought the chemistry between Dex and Fiona was, actually, surprisingly strong.

So did I!

the idea that former military would be welcomed at all in actual crust punk or even Fiona's glam-pop-punk circles defied belief. 

Did they know Dex is a veteran?

Who was taking care of A[ns]el while she was overseas? Also, I really, really wish they stop having people, especially Dex, patronize him with 'buddy'. It's become the new 'My pops!' (see: How To Get Away With Murder) for me.

All of this!

Fiona was the most laid back coke snorter ever. Are we sure it wasn't heroin or some other substance?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And why wasn't Grey at least just a little irritated at all the broken glass?  Those bar glasses aren't cheap.

That tour group was like two weeks revenue rolled into an hour....so he will break even

5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I like Grey's new girlfriend. She seems a bit sketchy just like him. They could be a good match.

She is like a Morena Baccarin 75% clone.....

• Love 6

Lots of bed hopping/romantic plots this episode. They're burning through tension/love triangles at record speed.

I thought Fiona's actress was kind of bad, but it was fun seeing Dex flustered off her game (as a bi lady, it's true to life: flirting with men is mocking and nonstop zingers, but I can barely keep eye contact with a pretty woman without blushing). Still, did they have to make Fiona a ditzy coke addict? We get it - ladies can't be endgame with the protagonist and she's a one-off. She was so confused about where she was and where she was going I thought the manager was secretly drugging her like Ke$ha. It's a bit concerning to just gloss over how disoriented she was.

I'm apparently alone on this, but I found Ansel's passive aggressiveness a bit annoying and entitled. I guess his fear of abandonment makes more sense - I assumed it was because he wanted Dex/Grey (his quasi-parents) together and was trying to cockblock Grey from hooking up with ghost tour lady, which made me laugh because Dex was off banging Fiona. Still, Ansel's an adult and needs to realize he can't throw tantrums to control people. And please, writers, stop having every single character address Ansel as buddy/pal in every line...even random criminals! It's patronizing. He's not 5.

What's going on with Tookie/Cosgrove? That was a delightful, but out of the blue, subplot. The way Cosgrove wistfully recalled meeting her husband, I assumed he was dead and we were setting up a heartwarming C-plot where Tookie convinces her to give love another try with him through food, but that hasty clarification they they're both married was very awkward. Are we gearing up for a foodie infidelity subplot? Because no thanks. The zany comic relief guy can't cheat on his wife! I would've preferred them dating organically. If the writers really do want them to be platonic friends and that line served to squash love expectations, it's an odd choice to make their scenes so emotionally intimate right off the bat.

The upcoming Thanksgiving episode feels like a very contrived way to force the love triangle. It's only the seventh episode, Dex and Hoffman are barely official, and Dex/Grey have been platonic for years with no renewed sexual tension yet - it's too early for triangle bullshit!!! Also, Dex bouncing between/bedding three different love interests in six episodes is a lot. I'm getting sexual tension whiplash.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 4

I wasn't a fan of this episode. I thought Dex hooking up with Fiona was patronizing, maybe because I didn't see any attraction in Fiona whatsoever. She was barely unable to function without help, even to knowing where she was going next. I'm surprised she even remembered Dex. And how did she know Dex is now a PI if they split years ago. And so she got some notes so she's THREATENED by some rando stalker? Gah.

But I did laugh that Dex can get in a knock-down drag-out and get her head smashed into the side of a car and come out of that w/o a mark or bruise, but kiss/get kissed by Fiona and she has lipstick smeared all over her face.

Ansel breaks how much stuff during his tantrums and no one bothers to tell him to knock it off and grow up? And the breakage will come out of his paycheck? I assume he gets paid for working there.

Do Grey, Ansel and Dex all live together? Why would Ansel be afraid Grey is leaving if he owns the bar and Ansel works at the bar and Dex hangs out at the bar that Grey owns. None of that made sense to me.

I liked Grey's new girl too. Hope she sticks around and she's good for him.

So Dex is still mad at Grey because he kept secrets from her and hadn't told her every single detail about every minute of his life? I have things in my past I'll never tell anyone. Doesn't make me less of a friend to someone. Dex needs to STFU and get over it.

Meanwhile, Tookie and the Lt. were the best part of this show. I wonder if Lt. had her eyes on Tookie and his recipes and sent the inspector to shut his truck down. I know, I know, that's a reach but it's all I got. More food next episode please! I so want to eat at that truck.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

What's going on with Tookie/Cosgrove? That was a delightful, but out of the blue, subplot. The way Cosgrove wistfully recalled meeting her husband, I assumed he was dead and we were setting up a heartwarming C-plot where Tookie convinces her to give love another try with him through food, but that hasty clarification they they're both married was very awkward. Are we gearing up for a foodie infidelity subplot? Because no thanks. The zany comic relief guy can't cheat on his wife! I would've preferred them dating organically. If the writers really do want them to be platonic friends and that line served to squash love expectations, it's an odd choice to make their scenes so emotionally intimate right off the bat.

Yeah, I got the same weird vibe off Cosgrove.  I first assumed she was divorced.  Sort of a hey, I'm having a happy memory here, oh wait, it all went to shit, nevermind.  I really hope they don't go down an affair road with them.  I'd rather see them go into business together - open a restaurant, start a kitchen for ex-cons or at risk students, something food related.

• Love 9

I wasn't sure what to make of Grey's new girlfriend. Someone he's known for an hour says "tell me your deepest darkest secrets, right now"...and he does, including shady bar financing from dangerous people. That did NOT seem like a good idea, not because it would chase her off (even though it should have) but because that's some fairly dangerous info to have running around.

Honestly my first guess was she was running a scam/scheme/investigation of some sort, but it doesn't sound like anyone else got that vibe.

I can see why he was honest, given his recent blowup about not being forthcoming enough. But I might have stopped at "bad dad, stole cars, went to prison" and not given her the "safecracker + gangster money" bits.

Also, I didn't hear her offering up any radical honesty. Maybe the writers will get there. Just felt off to me.

Didn't care for Fiona at all - character or actress. Seemed a bit creepy towards Dex, at one point I wondered if she made the stalker thing up to stalk Dex.

Tookie and Lt were cute enough.

• Love 12

I agree with everyone who's said that Tookie and Cosgrove were a great, unexpected subplot.  I like that the show took this moment to give both of them a little more depth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gray is a little more off balance that he's letting on, after the kidnapping.  It was odd the extent that he went for the radical honesty bit without an equal exchange.  I don't know if the new girl is just scamming her customers, or something else.

It was worth pointing out that whatever the relationship between Gray and Dex, the relationship with Gray and Ansel is equally important.

I recognize that Hoffman and Dex don't have a conventional relationship, but it did bother me that she got back with Fiona while in the midst of deepening her relationship with Hoffman.  Maybe he's fine with it.

• Love 5

I hope the focus on relationships in this episode is not going to be a regular, soap operatic thing for this show --like a sort of This Is Us element, because, if it is, I will be happy to drop this show altogether. That said, I do expect that if the show lasts 3+ years that Grey and Dex will be the ultimate OTP, with pretty boy Hoffman either finding someone else (who is not crazy) or he will tragically die, leaving Dex bereft and emotionally vulnerable --unlike IRL, where, when such loss occurs, people tend to withdraw from relationships.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, snarktini said:

Honestly my first guess was she was running a scam/scheme/investigation of some sort, but it doesn't sound like anyone else got that vibe.

I did get that vibe during the "radical honesty" scene! I thought she had an ulterior motive... I guess she did, but not what I thought.

Honestly, the episode felt funny and cannot even call it a filler. The Tookie and "Bobby" subplot was refreshing though!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, snarktini said:

I can see why he was honest, given his recent blowup about not being forthcoming enough. But I might have stopped at "bad dad, stole cars, went to prison" and not given her the "safecracker + gangster money" bits.

He did stop at "guardian of the brother of a one night stand who kicked my ass when I held her at gunpoint"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I'm apparently alone on this, but I found Ansel's passive aggressiveness a bit annoying and entitled. I guess his fear of abandonment makes more sense - I assumed it was because he wanted Dex/Grey (his quasi-parents) together and was trying to cockblock Grey from hooking up with ghost tour lady, which made me laugh because Dex was off banging Fiona. Still, Ansel's an adult and needs to realize he can't throw tantrums to control people. And please, writers, stop having every single character address Ansel as buddy/pal in every line...even random criminals! It's patronizing. He's not 5.

You're  not alone on this one. 

Was the other detective trying to let Hoffman know she a has a thing for him?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5

All in all that was quite entertaining though the manager pretty much had an 'I did it!' sign hanging around his neck. But everything else was so much fun that it didn't matter.

Fiona looked more glam-rock than punk to me but maybe I'm just getting old. I also got a weird vibe from Liz, wondering if I was watching too much tv and the show was being clever or if there's really more going on. Time will tell I guess. So, well played writers room.

I'm also in the camp of folks who think Ansel got away too easy for his shenanigans. I understand his frustration and anger especially after he explained the reason but he still owes Grey and especially Liz an apology. And Dax can't expect Grey to put his life on hold to look after Ansel while she's on the job (which in this case also included a hook-up with an ex). Also: Ansel is not a baby anymore so Grey having someone over should really not be that much of a deal. 

The food-truck plot was the highlight of the episode. I wanted more Cosgrove and I wanted more Tookie and I got all my wishes granted. I wonder where they are going with this - I'd be happy to see these two swap recipes as a running gag.

Apparently Dax and her complicated love-life aren't a main draw for me LOL! But I did enjoy Hoffman's coworker who explained to him that not all women are badge bunnies. Another interesting character I'd like to see again.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 12:22 AM, Cranberry said:

Grey can't leave them unless he closes his bar, so I, too thought Ansel was jealous of Liz (Hi, Lisa Apple!) on behalf of Dex. I guess he meant that he was afraid that Grey wouldn't want him around anymore. (I guess Grey has a spare bed or couch above the bar for when Ansel stays over?)

On 11/7/2019 at 9:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Speaking of which, you may not have a choice if it happens when you are home, but if your stalker send you a photo of you in your hotel room, switch hotels! (I know it wouldn't have made a difference because the manager was responsible,  but Fiona didn't know that.)

On 11/9/2019 at 4:08 PM, MissLucas said:

And Dax can't expect Grey to put his life on hold to look after Ansel while she's on the job (which in this case also included a hook-up with an ex). Also: Ansel is not a baby anymore so Grey having someone over should really not be that much of a deal. 

Ansel would probably consider it a form of abandonment,  but since Dex can't be around every night due to work (and also has an active social life) it might be best for Ansel to live in a lightly-supervised program for people with special needs while continuing his job at the bar; maybe one of those situations with separate bedrooms,  communal kitchen and living space and a house-parent? He could still stay over with Dex at times, but he should have friends and "family" besides his private-eye sister and ex-con boss. What if Dex winds up hospitalized long-term, or worse? What if Grey wants to go away for a bit? Ansel's social security payments should cover that type of living arrangement. (Hopefully,  Dex can now afford her rent on her own.)

Well, in-show Ansel won't be sent away, or only in a short-lived plot about CPS meddling around. IRL his situation would probably raise many red flags. His sister seems far from stable, suffers from PTSD, has a history of drug abuse and has now taken on a high-risk job, his secondary care-taker is an ex-convict who is (according to records) also a CI whose last 'assignment' nearly got him killed. Not to mention that Ansel is working in a bar of all places, not an environment normally considered suitable for someone with Down Syndrome. And I wonder if Dex has ever bothered to get some legal paperwork done about Ansel's future should anything happen to her. 

Even in the world of Stumptown that isn't all that good, no matter how much we love the characters and know that they love Ansel. I guess the problem will be addressed further down the line.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

Isn't Ansel an adult, though? He's able to make choices for himself.

He's an adult, but it's possible that Dex has legal guardianship, or a power of attorney to make financial decisions for him, for example, with regard to his social security payments. I'm not implying that he has no capacity to make decisions or isn't clever but, after all, he does need to carry around a card in case he becomes lost.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, possibilities said:

If Dex becomes incapacitated, or she dies, and Grey isn't available either, THEN Ansel can go live with strangers. Why send him away now, when he's happy living with family?

I'm not saying that Dex should evict him.  She obviously would have to convince him that it would be better for him to be somewhat independent from her.  And wouldn't it be better for him to transition into a new situation before it becomes an emergency?  If your typical child grows up, has a job, and has no friends his own age (at least we haven't seen any) because he relies on you and your best friend for all his companionship needs, wouldn't it be in his best interest to encourage him to find a situation where he would be less dependent on you?  If the situation is different because Ansel has special needs and can't be completely on his own, all the more reason to find him a good situation while Dex is still available to spend time with him, not when something bad happens to her (and it's not really fair for Grey to have to devote himself to taking her place.)  Ansel might not see it at first, but it would be an act of love, not one of rejection.  Of course, the placement would have to be a good one. Perhaps there isn't anything decent available in commuting distance.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He's an adult, but it's possible that Dex has legal guardianship, or a power of attorney to make financial decisions for him, for example, with regard to his social security payments. I'm not implying that he has no capacity to make decisions or isn't clever but, after all, he does need to carry around a card in case he becomes lost.

I'm not implying that Dex would evict him.  She obviously would have to convince him that it would be better for him to be somewhat independent from her.  And wouldn't it be better for him to transition into a new situation before it becomes an emergency?  If your typical child grows up, has a job, and has no friends his own age (at least we haven't seen any) because he relies on you and your best friend for all his companionship needs, wouldn't it be in his best interest to encourage him to find a situation where he would be less dependent on you?  If the situation is different because Ansel has special needs and can't be completely on his own, all the more reason to find him a good situation while Dex is still available to spend time with him, not when something bad happens to her (and it's not really fair for Grey to have to devote himself to taking her place.)  Ansel might not see it at first, but it would be an act of love, not one of rejection.  Of course, the placement would have to be a good one. Perhaps there isn't anything decent available in commuting distance.

I can see your points, and they do make sense. However, given their history - Ansel being ripped away and taken to family services (for reasons we don't yet completely know), and Dex being gone for a long time - I don't think Ansel would ever react to that as an act of love, I think he'd always see it as rejection.  And Dex isn't his mother, but a sister who was also damaged by their messy childhood, and has felt guilt for leaving him behind.  She's not thinking as a mother, but as a guilt ridden sibling. That cool logic - however accurate it is, and I think it is - isn't going to apply any time soon.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Isn't Ansel an adult, though? He's able to make choices for himself.

Ansel may be biologically an adult, but he is not mentally an adult. I worked at a group home for developmentally disabled adults and their ability to manage their lives varied greatly. Ansel's fairly high functioning, but that doesn't mean he could manage money or cook his own meals or take care of his own place without external support of some sort. The group home I worked at was set up as apartments with staff on site. They had activities for the residents and the City had activities for the residents to get them out to meet others. Sadly, though, their Social Security Disability payments didn't really cover everything so most of them had parents who were chipping in and they all worked. (Many of them worked for the City in the recycling program sorting the recyclables. Although one guy I worked with had a job at a fast food restaurant cleaning tables and the floors.) 

For some reason I thought Dex's parents died and that's why she came back to take care of Ansel. I'm not sure where that idea came from. 

• Love 1

Too bad Gordon Ramsey is linked to Fox. Although the merger might have changed things. He would be an ideal stunt cast so there could be a Kitchen Nightmares show within a show...Cosgrove could be a total fangirl.....

• Love 3

Ansel needing some supports doesn't mean he's not able and entitled to make some of his own decisions. He seems happy where he is, and taking that away from him because someone else doesn't like it strikes me as the kind of condescending logic that demeans people with disabilities. I think it's all projection at this point.

• Love 5

Overall, I like this show and it keeps me entertained. Some things bugged me in this episode though:

Fiona - Could they have gone for another look than the stereotype of Courtney Love/Nancy Spungen? Just too expected. And, she was so spacey and coked up and seemingly disconnected from reality that I found it heard to believe that Dex would be interested in her at all. Maybe Dex wanted to take a few steps back in the past and have some fun.

• Love 2

So I haven't had a chance to catch up on the episode until now, but Fiona's pretty skeezy, isn't she?  Or maybe I'm just that taken aback by seeing Dex so unsettled.

Maybe I would've been more okay with them hooking up with Fiona wasn't Dex's client at the time.

I really hope they've worked out the Love Triangle business, because I wasn't really a fan of it.

Overall, it's a step down from the last episode, which was excellent.  Unfortunately the next episode isn't for another week but hopefully it'll be a return to form, promo aside.

Also, no more tape?  Did they run out of budget for music licensing?

I liked the "just collaboration" between Tookie and Bobby.  Two characters who needed a bit more development, and they did it together and I thought it was well done.

Fiona was a mess.  Dex said that it wouldn't work because she (Dex) isn't the same person she was 10 years ago, but Fiona is.  And if she's basically the same as she was 10 years ago, that helps explain why Dex was so off-balance around her.  Whatever she felt 10 years ago, at least part of that came back and hit her, hard.  I felt the chemistry from Dex, but the actress playing Fiona just wasn't good enough to really convey much more than ditz and confusion, so it was one-sided.  But whatever; Fiona was really just there as a plot device and to help with Dex's character background.

Dex was awesome taking out Clint, the stalker/non-stalker.  I didn't care for the slo-mo as she disarmed him and the knife dropped, but it was very short and the move itself was expertly done, so I guess it was okay.  I figured the manager Nick had something to do with it, but using a guy who clearly has some kind of issues was a twist I didn't expect.  At least Clint wasn't actually evil and Fiona wasn't actually in any danger.  Clint really did think he was supposed to be protecting her, which is what the creepy photo was all about.  He was showing Fiona how he was keeping an eye on her and she was safe.  Ewww.

Lots of pairing up this episode, in various ways.  Tookie and Bobby, Dex and Hoffman, Dex and Fiona, Grey and Liz, even Hoffman's brief interaction with Kara (Detective Lee) seemed to point at something, maybe.  Just an observation.

I'm still not sure what Ansel's deal was with dropping things.  Obviously it was on purpose, but at first I thought maybe Grey had told him to do it, for some reason.  When Grey told Ansel later that the cutlery might have been going too far, and they laughed about it, I took that as confirmation of some kind of pre-arrangement that Ansel took too far, just because he's Ansel.  But it makes much more sense that Ansel was acting out, and the laugh was to let Ansel know that there's no hard feelings.  But wouldn't the dozens of shattered glasses be a bigger deal than the cutlery?  You can just wash the cutlery; those glasses are casualties.

Edit: Oh yeah, the mix tape.  Until music started playing during one of the scenes, I didn't even think about it.  I did kind of like it, even though it was kinda dumb.  So... both.  I mean, that was the whole point, right?  Sentient mix tape providing the appropriate soundtrack for whatever's happening in the car.  Good for a laugh, though I can see why it would take some people out of the moment.  But we haven't had scenes with Dex in the car recently, so no mix tape.

Edited by Orbert

I dont like the tape in the car so I'm glad it's gone.

This show is mostly predictable but I still really enjoy it. Every show I've ever seen about a stalker- it was the manager. 

I was surprised Dex slept with Fiona mainly bc I thought Dex just wasn't that into it until suddenly she was.

I borrowed the graphic novel from my library but haven't opened it yet.

I burned through all the eps on my dvr in like 2 weeks now I have to wait real time for the next one. Sucks, I'm not a binger usually but I could binge this show. I always liked Cobie Smulders