Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: A Game of Chicken

Gloria uses her alone time with the twins as an opportunity to secretly baptize them before Haley and Dylan get home; Claire deals with the fallout from the smart closet fiasco; Cam feuds with his school's mascot.

17 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Clair quits?!? I wonder what her dad would say about that! And Luke quitting college just because of a get rich quick scheme? Yeah, he still needs an education....

Yeah, I'm extremely confused on that. Same with Cam deciding: "Now, is the time to go back to Missouri, because God forbid my daughter would like to stay too." Who are these characters? Even Gloria with the secret baptism, especially when Dylan and Haley hadn't even thought about that. They weren't against it, just that wasn't a decision they felt it was time to think about. Jay even telling her she had gone too far was extremely true. A woman who believes in curses and jinxes and then she is suddenly a devoted Catholic? When did that happen?

• Love 8

I guess we're supposed to think it's funny that Gloria would baptize the twins behind Haley and New Phil's backs? That's not at all manipulative and inappropriate and just all around gross.

I'm all for Claire quitting her job but I wish she had fired Nick first. That guy sucks.

• Love 11

I'm not religious and I don't think baptism "does" anything (except make a small child cranky for a little while, judging by the baptisms I've attended). If it was important enough to my (hypothetical) child's grandparents, I would probably do it (or allow them to). But to do it behind the parents' back (without even having asked if they were planning to do it!) is disrespectful at best. Even if Haley and Dylan were religious (and Christian), some denominations don't believe in infant baptism. Some people just do it later for whatever reason (my friend's daughter was 10 months, and her son was almost 2½ years old, before they got around to it). 

I did like the detail that Gloria asked several priests and most of them said no because the kids' parents weren't involved. 

I don't see why Luke needs to drop out of college to get an app off the ground. (What's his major, anyway?) And they were expecting Claire and Phil to invest? His partner is a venture capitalist...why do they need his parents' money?

"New Phil"...lol

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

Gloria's story is disgusting. Why didn't she just talk to Hailey and Dylan first? I can see her sneaking around on sitcom land after they said no, but she didn't even try talking first.

The show has gotten pretty sad when I'm only interested in the one-time character of the mascot.

• Love 9

OMG, you know you're old when the only thing you can think of is, "I saw this plotline 40+ years ago on All in the Family and Carroll O'Connor did it better". 

Excuse me now, I'm gonna go sit on my stoop and yell at the young'uns to get off my lawn.

• LOL 14
  • Love 7

Despite the "thats not cool" nature of Cam thinking about uprooting their farm-ily without telling Mitchel, I did actually like their plot pretty well. The mascot messing with Cam was pretty funny and I loved Mitch running in with his chicken costume to defend him, and the sweet things Cam wrote about him online. I mean, it would be nice if we saw more of that sweetness in their interactions, but I guess I cant get everything! I do actually wonder if Cam and Mitch will end up moving to Missouri, as they seem to be kind of over the LA scene and Cam has always seemed to miss farm life/Missouri and his side of the family.

A lot of choices made here just seemed...weird. Gloria tries to get the babies baptized behind Dylan and Haley's backs, without even asking them? Claire is quitting her job? So what will she do now? Luke has to drop out of college to start his idea? It was all just confusing and weird. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Despite the "thats not cool" nature of Cam thinking about uprooting their farm-ily without telling Mitchel, I

I didn’t actually have to much of a problem with it because it was so very early in the process that he hasn’t even interviewed for the job yet.

• Love 1

"We're not that rich! This house isn't that impressive!" Claire insists of her probably-multi-million-dollar home, as her son quits an education he never really needed to pursue a tech startup with a venture capitalist he met at his grandfather's country club, and she herself decides to quit her C-suite job (given to her by her father) because she no longer feels a sparkle in her eye.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, mammaM said:

OMG, you know you're old when the only thing you can think of is, "I saw this plotline 40+ years ago on All in the Family and Carroll O'Connor did it better". 

Excuse me now, I'm gonna go sit on my stoop and yell at the young'uns to get off my lawn.

I’m old too.  I kept thinking how lovely and touching it was when Archie Bunker did it and this was ... kinda creepy. 

Edited by Trillian
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, mammaM said:

This is exactly what came to mind!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Was I supposed to feel sorry for Claire not like her job?  As stated in Survivor and on the Survivor thread, "suck it up buttercup."  Geesch.  Having that job handed to her after her father built the company up from the ground?  Yep, many of us who do not even have that kind of job or pay, have to work on weekends.  She just irks me with her self-centeredness.  So, who will take over her job?  Luke?

I do like seeing more of Lilly this season.  I enjoyed the joint talking head with Lilly and Mitch.  And, like Mitch, I now can't get farmily out of my head...

• Love 7

The twins were baptized when they first started the show.  There was tha water and the prayer ending with “Holy Ghost “.   When I was in parochial school and. Catholic high school that was it especially in emergency situations.

i think it’s interesting to see the setups for the finale.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Was I supposed to feel sorry for Claire not like her job?  As stated in Survivor and on the Survivor thread, "suck it up buttercup."  Geesch.  Having that job handed to her after her father built the company up from the ground?  Yep, many of us who do not even have that kind of job or pay, have to work on weekends.  She just irks me with her self-centeredness.  So, who will take over her job?  Luke?

I do like seeing more of Lilly this season.  I enjoyed the joint talking head with Lilly and Mitch.  And, like Mitch, I now can't get farmily out of my head...

I think this Clair went downhill for the last couple of seasons or so. She use to be not this over the top self-centered control freak.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I laughed a couple times. I love the mascot stuff. I’m simple.

My absolute favorite moment was Mitchell pouting and slumping down in his seat while he admitted that he loved when the cars honked at him.

“Was I supposed to feel sorry for Claire not like her job?  As stated in Survivor and on the Survivor thread, "suck it up buttercup."  Geesch.  Having that job handed to her after her father built the company up from the ground?  Yep, many of us who do not even have that kind of job or pay, have to work on weekends.  She just irks me with her self-centeredness.  So, who will take over her job?  Luke?”

Yeah, hard to find sympathy for someone living in that house who didn’t have to work for 16 years or so, then got handed a CEO title when she breezed back into the workforce and feel free to quit on a dime. Like, how much money do they have that finances weren’t even a thought. 

Also, she’s only been back to work for what, 3 years at this point? Not exactly a lengthy resume to land another executive job.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, she’s only been back to work for what, 3 years at this point? Not exactly a lengthy resume to land another executive job.

But she's got that magazine cover to put on her resume!

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I actually found that the actor playing the mascot is half Tibetan and half white.

There was a toss away line how being Asian he was going to need more than a 4.0 average....pretty timely given the Harvard issues. 

• Love 1

It looks like they’re behind ing the story lines that will wrap up the season. 
Mitch,Cam and Lily move to the Midwest, Luke starts a successful business, possibly with family members working FOR him, and we have yet to see what will be happening g with Alex. Dylan will graduate from nursing school and I can see him and Haley moving to Mitch and Cam’s house as renters. 

... Let’s see how close I get. 

• Love 3

I find it interesting that the family that has been up in each other’s business their entire lives now seems positioned to move in different directions. Mitch and Cam can go become a farmily, maybe if we’re lucky wolves eat Haley, Dylan and the kids in Yosemite, Luke becomes an entrepreneur and is on the road and Alex graduates and moves away. Even Claire may move to a new life away from the business her dad built. 

If the final lesson is that a family can be close even if they go in different directions, it will be a TV show win for me in my long running debate with my wife over her scarily emeshed family. 

I wanted to like the mascot bit, but I didn’t think the dolphin’s antics were funny. They could have done something more clever there. Also, what does it say that the student mascot is more articulate and thoughtful than any of the characters on this show? 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, Snow Apple said:

Gloria's story is disgusting. Why didn't she just talk to Hailey and Dylan first? I can see her sneaking around on sitcom land after they said no, but she didn't even try talking first.

The show has gotten pretty sad when I'm only interested in the one-time character of the mascot.

I think the show’s point was the same as yours. Even Jay, who usually ignores silly family stuff, was appalled enough to tell Gloria she was wrong. 

• Love 3
On 11/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Six (since the start of S5), but the point stands, as the first five were at Jay's company and the last at the merged company ended in a large security breach of clients' information.

Luke quitting the for-profit community college really didn't bother me.  (At least, they painted it as for-profit when Luke spoke with the dean about getting in.) How much education could he be getting at a place where Phil can just breeze in and get a job the same day, like it was some Learning Annex program?

• Love 3

Why is everyone that the Dunphy kids date/hang out with over 35? Have the writers not seen anyone in their early 20s? Why don't they have friends from high school/college? And especially for dating, it's a stretch to think all three kids just happened to go for people 40+.

The idea of the show ending with everyone in separate states is odd and defeats the entire premise of the show. They overshot last season's natural narrative ending and have to make shit up to wrap it up.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Why is everyone that the Dunphy kids date/hang out with over 35? Have the writers not seen anyone in their early 20s? Why don't they have friends from high school/college? And especially for dating, it's a stretch to think all three kids just happened to go for people 40+.

The idea of the show ending with everyone in separate states is odd and defeats the entire premise of the show. They overshot last season's natural narrative ending and have to make shit up to wrap it up.

I agree on both, Haley, Luke, Alex and even Dylan apparently have NO FRIENDS whats so ever. Of course if you look at even the adults, they don't have friends. They have people either taking advantage of them or rivals. I mean, Pepper can be considered a friend to Mitch and Cam, but at times that turns into some stupid rivalry or something. I mean Luke was dating a woman who was almost 20 years older than him? Why? Because it was suppose to be weird and awkward. Just like with Alex and her firefighter boyfriend. They can't be thinking adults, they have to do something stupid or make one of the people in the relationship stupid. Even when Luke was talking about the crap he pulled off in high school, you just wanted to go: "Phil and Claire never noticed this?" It's just stupid, there was no need for a season 11 outside of ABC going: "We'll make more money in syndication, yay!" 

• Love 4

Maybe I was thinking too much in 21st century mindset, but my first thought upon seeing that mascot literally stalking Cam and mocking him, that it wasn't just a little cute mimicry but more like full-fledged harassment/bullying. I mean, really...and then to be posting the videos online? That would be grounds for a lawsuit.

Re: the twins - Have Haley and/or Dylan EVER sat home and taken care of the babies for any significant stretch of time themselves? It seems like every episode, they are tossing them at another adult. The only time I recall them caring for the kids themselves was when they went to Disney, and, well...that was a day at Disney, not just regular childcare. The two of them seem to have zero interest in their own children.

• Love 3

I laughed a lot when Jay called Dylan "new Phil".

The Gloria story was awful - like really really bad. You don't do that kind of thing. Religion is very personal. Yuk. And I say this as an atheist.

I assume Claire will end up at Luke's company and we'll have the inevitable story where she struggles to keep her mouth shut because she is always right.

Edited by xander874
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, incandescent said:

"We're not that rich! This house isn't that impressive!" Claire insists of her probably-multi-million-dollar home, as her son quits an education he never really needed to pursue a tech startup with a venture capitalist he met at his grandfather's country club, and she herself decides to quit her C-suite job (given to her by her father) because she no longer feels a sparkle in her eye.

"Not a mansion!"  She's right-It's a very nice house, but by no means a mansion. The kids shared a bathroom.  "Only" three bedrooms, so Haley had to move into the unfinished basement to have privacy (I don't think we knew the house also had an office in those days.)  The 2nd "living room," a continuation of the kitchen, is in lieu of a family room/den.  The living room near the front door is not particularly large.  Again, a nice house, but by no means a mansion by California standards.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 6
On 11/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I hadn't noticed it at first, but when I rewatched the episode where Luke borrows the twins for the liquor store, he mentions lying about his age to this woman who's already much, much older. And he and this woman are just hanging out in his bedroom at his parents' house and no one thinks that's at all odd? Especially the 50-year-old woman who's a contemporary of his parents, she doesn't feel at all strange about sharing a twin bed in the house of her "boyfriend"'s parents?? 

And yes, they had a note-perfect series finale last year and now they're just scrambling to fill the space.

Re: the twins - Have Haley and/or Dylan EVER sat home and taken care of the babies for any significant stretch of time themselves? It seems like every episode, they are tossing them at another adult. The only time I recall them caring for the kids themselves was when they went to Disney, and, well...that was a day at Disney, not just regular childcare. The two of them seem to have zero interest in their own children.

Also, who the hell takes twin babies to Disneyland? Kids yes, but babies? Why? The two of them can't go off on rides and leave the babies behind, so what, one of them goes on rides while the other sits with the stroller? I know Claire was supposed to go with them, but once she couldn't go, that plan was pretty much shot. (And yeah, sitcom and all, but why write stupid stuff when there is an infinite number of things you could write.) 

Six (since the start of S5), but the point stands, as the first five were at Jay's company and the last at the merged company ended in a large security breach of clients' information.

Luke quitting the for-profit community college really didn't bother me.  (At least, they painted it as for-profit when Luke spoke with the dean about getting in.) How much education could he be getting at a place where Phil can just breeze in and get a job the same day, like it was some Learning Annex program?

Yeah, that huge security breach storyline didn't exactly carry over, did it? Either way, she hardly has the experience to shoot right to the top somewhere else, but money doesn't seem to mean anything on this show (hey, let's buy a magic shop and Phil can spend his days there until it quietly disappears without a mention), so I guess quitting a CEO job on a whim is cool...

Agreed on Luke and the community college, it definitely had the ring of one of those schools that takes all the kids/adults who couldn't get into a regular college and way overcharges them for courses that aren't even transferrable to an accredited school half the time. 

School was never his strong suit, let him figure out another path. 

• Love 2

Didnt get around to watching until 5 days after it aired...that says something for what was once appointment TV.

I do like the potential set up for the finale and could lead to some Holiday specials when the family gets back together...I dont see these guys going away like Friends and not coming back.

When Haley said they were going to Yosemite, I thought back to Dude Ranch (you know, when the show was funny) and her hunting for Dylan after he ran off and yelling "Dylan...where are you" and he answered back "In Wyoming". Like I said, back when the show was clever 

• Love 2

So Luke, who has never shown any aptitude or skill for anything, let alone coding, develops not just an idea, but a fully functioning app designed to capture very specific data for an industry he has no experience or interest in, and does it in his spare time, when he’s not caddying at grandad’s club or dating cougars. Sounds almost as plausible as Claire being the CEO of an apparently publicly traded company (she was preparing for an investors’ call earlier in the episode).

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

So Luke, who has never shown any aptitude or skill for anything, let alone coding, develops not just an idea, but a fully functioning app designed to capture very specific data for an industry he has no experience or interest in, and does it in his spare time, when he’s not caddying at grandad’s club or dating cougars. Sounds almost as plausible as Claire being the CEO of an apparently publicly traded company (she was preparing for an investors’ call earlier in the episode).

Yep, just like how a state championship winning football coach has his office in a utility closet and bounces between Associated Principal and being the joke of the school. Just like Mitch can lose one job after another and then bounce back only for his next boss to get arrested or something. Then works and succeeds for his family's company, but oh no, he quits that because "it's too much." 

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, PradaKitty said:

It looks like they’re behind ing the story lines that will wrap up the season. 
Mitch,Cam and Lily move to the Midwest, Luke starts a successful business, possibly with family members working FOR him, and we have yet to see what will be happening g with Alex. Dylan will graduate from nursing school and I can see him and Haley moving to Mitch and Cam’s house as renters. 

... Let’s see how close I get. 

My guess is Luke becomes successful and Alex cannot get a job and moves into the basement. Education = BAD! Being a white guy at the country club = GOOD!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, incandescent said:

That’s typical of rich people.  They don’t even realize how good they have it.  I see it ALL the time.  Many of them are not aware/ don’t give a shit about the struggles of others and how they should be thanking god they don’t live paycheck to paycheck and Are lucky enough own gorgeous homes others can only dream about. I was 100% in tune with that woman. At least acknowledge you are blessed.  

• Love 2