Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Weekend at Brandy's II

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Or Kate is capable of being nice to someone she might have issues with but has to work with the two aren’t mutually exclusive. 

This is what I've seen from Kate. Even with her stews. Work is work. Unless you cross the professional/personal line, she can be cool with you outside of work hours, even if you piss her off on the job. 

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, Jsage said:

The interior and the galley have to work hand in hand in order to serve the guests. Kate has been chief stew on the show for six out of the seven seasons and has worked with several different chefs during that time.

It's very possible that Captain Lee saying Kevin made a big mistake not following Kate's direction is because any chef who comes on the show can benefit from Kate's wealth of knowledge about how things work on this particular yacht.

Kate has had a problem with every single Chef who she worked with and a certain point it becomes clear that the problem stems from Kate and not every other person she worked with.

Captain Lee is implying that the Chef should subordinate himself to his daughter and follow her dictates. 

• Love 1

Kate going to the Captain about Kevin is really just the tip of the iceberg.  Perhaps they always have these daily chats about the staff and we just happened to see that discussion because it leads into all of Kevin's screwups with dinner later.  Lee felt disrespected about Kevin leaving while they were chatting (to be fair it did look like he was in the middle of making dinner).  Then Kevin's lack of ordering provisions is on full display ending with Lee being stuck without a main course.  Kevin wolfed down that course, what would he have done if Brandy had come to dinner?  Did he really have no other food on the ship he could've served?  It didn't look like Lee even got a side dish.

Lee's right about Kevin having no budget either, literally order whatever and how much ever you want.  Heck, feed the crew lobster!  Just have more than 6 portions ready to go.  Ugh.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There is no deal they have just known each other for years, predating the show, and are friends who live near each other who socialize when not filming.

No relation, but they do have a longstanding friendship outside the show, where I assume, they are peers.  That's a bit of a deal, no? I mean more than anyone else has with Captain Lee.

Again, I'm new to the show so I may have missed lots, or it could be just what the show shows us, but it does seem like if Kate has a problem with someone or something, Lee immediately sides with her, without question, and then acts.

If someone has a problem with Kate, he does not side with the person bringing the complaint and doesn't do anything about it, except talk to Kate, at which point he then immediately takes her side.

Is that because they have worked together for so long and he trusts her judgment based on that experience (ie she is never wrong and never has been) or is it because they have an outside relationship that he does not want to jeopardize?

It strikes me as odd that it's never Kate and it's always the other person, be it guest or crew member. Previews have shown us that she's going to storm off the boat in a huff. If he sides with her over that, I call shenanigans, because storming off the boat in a huff does not seem like something he'd ordinarily be down with.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Jel said:

someone has a problem with Kate, he does not side with the person bringing the complaint and doesn't do anything about it, except talk to Kate, at which point he then immediately takes her side.

He doesn’t often side with anyone because it doesn’t typically get elevated unless there is more going on than just the relationship with Kate. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Jel said:

Is that because they have worked together for so long and he trusts her judgment based on that experience (ie she is never wrong and never has been) or is it because they have an outside relationship that he does not want to jeopardize?

Probably both IMO. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He doesn’t often side with anyone because it doesn’t typically get elevated unless there is more going on than just the relationship with Kate. 

I just thought he went a little overboard when he told Kevin to suck Kate’s swinging dick.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, tiredofwork said:

I know,  too each his own as to what some are and are not attracted to and I am not implying anything to do with racism.. it is just an unfortunate optic for me to see.

I think it does have a bit to do with racism, and also that Simone is mature and has a brain.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I agree. You hit the nail on the head.

My feeling about Simone is, she knows she's a black woman.  She knows if she turns up like the others, SHE'LL be called "ratchet" while the other women are "just having fun."  

I do think part of it is racism because Courtney looks basic to me.  If I saw her in the street I wouldn't think, "WOW she's a pretty girl."  She's simply young and blonde and to many men that's enough.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

Knowing what Captain Lee was likely going through at the time of filming makes me extend him a pass this season. He was the one that discovered that his son had overdosed. 💐😢

Capt. Lee's son passed away July 2019. Wasn't filming of this season completed before his son's death?

36 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Capt. Lee's son passed away July 2019. Wasn't filming of this season completed before his son's death?

having known friends who lost children to drugs, the stress and worry is there long before the end.

13 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

I don't think the Captain "always sides with Kate" but time and time again she has proven to be a workhorse and she can get the job done. Even last year when Chandler abandoned her and Josiah on the beach with no muscle (deck crew) or a ride home with all the chairs, tables, and leftover food to pack up and transport back to the boat, she returned to the boat (in a local's truck as the tender never came back for them) filthy dirty, super hungry, and PISSED to see Chandler showered and eating ice cream, she took on her "high register" voice* (which I recognize as her "trying to be nice" voice) and immediately went to the guests and asked if anyone needed a drink or anything. She refilled drinks, took care of the guests, and then took care of immediate concerns in the kitchen before going to the Captain with her (legitimate) issues. The deck crew messed up the guest's previous outing but Kate but the diminished interior continually "got the job done". That's a very big thing in the Captain's eyes.
When Caroline alleged terrible behavior by Kate, the Captain questioned Kate directly, insulting Kate with the allegations.
When Kate came to the Captain explaining how the brunette that replaced Caroline had inexcusably ordered Kate (her superior) to "check herself", the Captain merely directed the new stew to "do her job" and no one need get upset. Hardly "taking Kate's side".
In my opinion, Kate is an outstanding chief stew that takes good care of her guests and leaves the Captain with nothing but compliments from the guests on their care.
I thought she was nice to Caroline, a totally incompetent worker that always managed to be at a doctor's office when it was time to turn the boat. Until the last day of course, that wasn't a pretty scene, on Kate or Caroline's part. Or Josiah's for that matter.
She made up with the new, brunette stew once that stew simply worked on doing her job and shared some genuine laughs with her as the season progressed. 
She's funny as hell and she likes and enjoys a funny stew. Early in her job as a Chief Stew on BD, she was mean to Amy but the next year they were tight. I might ascribe her meanness to Kat's influence but who knows. She needs to be above that as much as possible and I think that she has learned that with experience and through the seasons.

*If we all recall the first episode this season, after a tumultuous and difficult discussion with Kevin, she adopted her high register voice to compliment his food. I heard that voice and I knew she was trying to make nice. 

Kate appears to have problems and disagreements with a lot of people. I don't know if she's an outstanding chief stew, I'll take your word that she is. But I do know her people and leadership skills are lacking. She wants to be respected as the chief stew (rank, leader, fair enough), but she also spent a lot of time meangirling with Josiah about Caroline. Caroline not only overheard some stuff, but she was obviously picking up on the non-verbal stuff too. You can't expect to be respected as a leader while not behaving like one.  Caroline had problems, but the way to handle those problems, as a leader, is not to gossip about her with Caroline's co-worker. That is Leadership 101.

From what I have seen, so far (again, I'm new to the show) Captain Lee sides with Kate. He may do it overtly, or he may do it by saying something to the complainer like "go do your job", but he seems unwilling, for whatever reason, to agree with any complaints about Kate.  When there's a problem with a deck crew member--that's on Ashton.  When there's a problem with one of Kate's team -- it's on the team member. I can't unsee what I see, and I'm just mainly curious as to why it is that way.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Jel said:

Caroline not only overheard some stuff, but she was obviously

The two things Caroline overheard was that they didn’t think she was faking her injury and that they thought she was sweet. Caroline took those two things and completely freaked out because she has issues galore.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The two things Caroline overheard was that they didn’t think she was faking her injury and that they thought she was sweet. Caroline took those two things and completely freaked out because she has issues galore.

It doesn't even matter what she overheard, (or, for that matter, how many issues Caroline had) the point is that Kate, as leader, should not be gossiping with one crew member about another crew member. 

Had Kate spoken to Josiah in the context of, say, investigating Caroline's behavior as a stewardess, to get his impressions on he work, her interactions, etc., that would be a different matter. But instead she was just gossiping with him about how much of a weirdo Caroline is.

Kate wants to be respected as a leader, but wants to be able to behave like a peer... but still be respected as a leader? How does that work?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2019 at 10:09 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

So you're saying she's never watched Below Deck.

She doesn’t appear to be looking for that substance on the boat, so while it is possible she hasn’t seen the show before, it is equally possible she has and knows what not to expect. 

Just now, Jel said:

Kate wants to be respected as a leader, but wants to be able to behave like a peer... but still be respected as a leader? How does that work?

That is the hardest part of being a leader. Captain Sandy has the same problem on Med. She wants to be a buddy but wants the respect and deference she is entitled too as well. Captain Lee to his credit at least accepts the loneliness of his position.

Kate should gossip and socialize with her peers. The other department heads. The bosun and the chef. But she never gets along with them ever. So she has to cultivate a minion for her mean girl reindeer games.

• Love 1

That is the hardest part of being a leader. Captain Sandy has the same problem on Med. She wants to be a buddy but wants the respect and deference she is entitled too as well. Captain Lee to his credit at least accepts the loneliness of his position.

Kate should gossip and socialize with her peers. The other department heads. The bosun and the chef. But she never gets along with them ever. So she has to cultivate a minion for her mean girl reindeer games.

While a highly particular work environment, the BD situation seems to mirror a lot of what you would find in any workplace. 

Bosses without boundaries inappropriately forcing staff into personal interactions:  Sandy

Passive aggressive leadership: Lee, Sandy, Kate

Favoritism:  Lee, Sandy, Kate, Hannah, etc., etc.

Territoriality:  Hannah, Kate, All the Chefs

Backstabbing/Ambushing:  Kevin, Kate, I'm sure there are others I can't think of

etc etc

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

That’s not true. Kate was friends with Eddie and got along fine with Kelly, the only issue she had with Nico was when he wasn’t bosun and causing her extra work by getting drunk and messing up a cabin with Ben and what’s her name. She had no issues getting along with Chandler even when he left her to do some of his work and once he was fired she didn’t have an issue with Ross last season.

As for chefs she and Ben squabble like an old married couple but actually got along fine, she and Matt got along and she went out of her way to help him focus and get a better grip on his menus, she and Adrien got along fine until the last service when he got but hurt that she didn’t think having a squirting grey sea slug was a good idea for a tablescape. So baeicslly she didn’t get a long with Leon but at least made more of an effort to be civil with him than he did with her.

She was awful to Amy but they worked it out as she did with the Replacement stew from last season who came at her with attitude. She didn’t manage to work it out with Rocky but Rocky isn’t on the same planet as anyone but did giver praise when she did her job well.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 20
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That’s not true. Kate was friends with Eddie and got along fine with Kelly, the only issue she had with Nico was when he wasn’t bosun and causing her extra work by getting drunk and messing up a cabin with Ben and what’s her name. She had no issues getting along with Chandler even when he left her to do some of his work and once he was fired she didn’t have an issue with Ross last season.

As for chefs she and Ben squabble like an old married couple but actually got along fine, she and Matt got along and she went out of her way to help him focus and get a better grip on his menus, she and Adrien got along fine until the last service when he got but hurt that she didn’t think having a squirting grey sea slug was a good idea for a tablescape. So baeicslly she didn’t get a long with Leon but at least made more of an effort to be civil with him than he did with her.

In fact she did not get along with Ben as she was obviously jealous of him. Matt was bulldozed and she dominated him as he gave up and let her control the galley which is always her aim. Eddie and Kelly did not fight with her but still did not socialize with her the way you would with a peer. Peers would socialize and hang out together. Did you ever see her do that or is she always with her handpicked henchmen.

Kate only relates well with minions who giggle as she trashes another member of her staff. She did it with Amy, Jen, Caroline and Lauren. I think the only thing stopping her from doing it to Simone is that she is afraid to be called out as racist so she has her in the back of the bus doing laundry.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Peers would socialize and hang out together.

The only time we any of the crew hang out is as a group or when they are trying to hookup with each other. And peers do not have to socialize or hang out together, not everyone looks for friendship at work.

Matt thanked Kate for helping him out so he clearly didn’t have a problem with the dynamic. 
I definitely disagree about the dynamic between Kate and Ben and apparently they do to since they socialize with each other when not filming even after their brief hookup.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

I have seen many scenes where the bosun and the chef hang out and talk about their department. I think we saw Ashton and Kevin talk this season. On Med Joao and Hannah hung out and talked and compared notes even though they hated each other the year before. I have yet to see that with Kate. She only does that with the Captain. I guess she must consider him her peer.

I have seen many scenes where the bosun and the chef hang out and talk about their department. I think we saw Ashton and Kevin talk this season. On Med Joao and Hannah hung out and talked and compared notes even though they hated each other the year before. I have yet to see that with Kate. She only does that with the Captain. I guess she must consider him her peer.

I have seen her do that with both Ben and Eddie so I guess are definitions differ. 

• Love 6

I personally don’t like bullies who mistreat other cast members for a story and get a big following. It is a very common thread running through Bravo shows. Theresa in NJ, Nene in Atlanta, Tamra in the OC and Kate on Below Deck all use the same playbook.

It just rubs me the wrong way. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kate has had a problem with every single Chef who she worked with and a certain point it becomes clear that the problem stems from Kate and not every other person she worked with.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure every Below Deck and BDM chef we have seen has exhibited temperamental behavior. More than one Chief Stew has had an issue with Ben so I'd hardly call him a boyscout. We have also heard both Kate and Hannah say that all chefs are a bit difficult by nature. I'm pretty sure everyone with eyes and ears could tell that just by watching this show. Perhaps what we are overlooking is that the yachting industry by nature (i.e. close quarters) is filled with conflict across the board. I work for someone who owns a MY and the management company told me there is always a crazy amount of turnover among crews. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Special K said:

osses without boundaries inappropriately forcing staff into personal interactions:  Sandy

Passive aggressive leadership: Lee, Sandy, Kate

Favoritism:  Lee, Sandy, Kate, Hannah, etc., etc.

Territoriality:  Hannah, Kate, All the Chefs

Backstabbing/Ambushing:  Kevin, Kate, I'm sure there are others I can't think of

Hmmm...imagine if there were writers for the show who scripted this kind of behavior?  This isn't real life, it's all played for the cameras, and these kind of stories are a lot more interesting than watching a bunch of competent people get along.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jel said:

It doesn't even matter what she overheard, (or, for that matter, how many issues Caroline had) the point is that Kate, as leader, should not be gossiping with one crew member about another crew member. 

Had Kate spoken to Josiah in the context of, say, investigating Caroline's behavior as a stewardess, to get his impressions on he work, her interactions, etc., that would be a different matter. But instead she was just gossiping with him about how much of a weirdo Caroline is.

Funny how "having issues" justifies being treated badly and unkindly.  I really don't understand why this is such a common practice. I get that odd ducks, socially awkward and slow to catch on people can work the nerves but are we 12?  I would expect in a professional environment that maturity be a key player in any situation that arises. Make that double for anyone in a supervisor/management position. 

I was so ready for something to creep up by now with either one or both of the stew considering how green they were coming into the season and how heavy handed their inexperience was dangled in front of the audience but I am happy to see that isn't the case so far. I think Kate does a pretty decent job pushing through all sorts situations with work and the guests but Kate is someone that will "other" a crew member in a heartbeat. I think, when she has a season where both stews are new to her she can't really set that up but when at least one of the stews is a prior crew mate then there is definitely a different dynamic.

Not that I plan to but I wonder if we were to compare the vibe between the stews for seasons Kate is working with 2 fresh stews vs. the seasons she working with one stew she knows and a new stew how obvious Kate's mean girl tendencies are. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

In fact she did not get along with Ben as she was obviously jealous of him. Matt was bulldozed and she dominated him as he gave up and let her control the galley which is always her aim. Eddie and Kelly did not fight with her but still did not socialize with her the way you would with a peer. Peers would socialize and hang out together. Did you ever see her do that or is she always with her handpicked henchmen.

Kate only relates well with minions who giggle as she trashes another member of her staff. She did it with Amy, Jen, Caroline and Lauren. I think the only thing stopping her from doing it to Simone is that she is afraid to be called out as racist so she has her in the back of the bus doing laundry.

I think it's funny that just because Amy and Lauren ended up making nice with Kate that that is supposed to erase the facts. Just because afterwards Amy and Lauren found a way to get along with Kate doesn't change how Kate behaved to begin with. 

She was awful to Amy and she was awful to Lauren. Lauren came on a bit strong when she joined the boat but she wasn't mean, rude or disrespectful. Kate just developed a disliking to her all on  her own. In her talking heads her gripes and reasons for her rudeness were such minor infractions that to me they were just excuses to be mean. Even before Lauren had a chance to even prove herself with work the first dinner off the boat Kate was inappropriately rude. Like harsh rude. Hell it looked like Kate just couldn't stand the women and she only just met her. That tells you a lot about a person. Just saying. 

I'm not sure if there will be much conflict with Kate and her stews being that it really doesn't seem like they will be giving Kate much to complain about but there is that clip of Simone saying something to Kate about not thinking she's embarrased the boat or something like that.

3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I personally don’t like bullies who mistreat other cast members for a story and get a big following. It is a very common thread running through Bravo shows. Theresa in NJ, Nene in Atlanta, Tamra in the OC and Kate on Below Deck all use the same playbook.

It just rubs me the wrong way. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

I'm the same way.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, esco1822 said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure every Below Deck and BDM chef we have seen has exhibited temperamental behavior. More than one Chief Stew has had an issue with Ben so I'd hardly call him a boyscout. We have also heard both Kate and Hannah say that all chefs are a bit difficult by nature.

I agree about the chefs being temperamental. I was a waitress during my young adult life and I can say that most of the chefs I worked with were nice guys who you could hang out with outside of work and have fun with. However, almost all of them had a temper that flared, particularly during the lunch and evening rush. I would put Ben in this category.

Kevin just seems mean and disrespectful to the crew and to Captain Lee no matter what time of day. He's someone I would accept working with but not interact with other than when I had to.

• Love 6
On 10/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, Yours Truly said:

So it seriously bugs the crap out of me that Abbi has to be repeatedly told to pull her hair back. It's absolutely ridiculous for a number of reasons. Captain has mentioned it to her MORE than twice already so basically she's just blowing him off. That alone makes me not really like her. Like who the fuck are you to be all "yeah, okay, got it" then mosey off and not do what you were told to do by the Captain... That's just straight unprofessional and bratty. 

What I'm really not getting is WHY is she so bothered by the request??? There is absolutely NO logical reason why pulling her hair back is an inconvenience. It actually seems like it would be for her own benefit if she were to pull it back. One, it's freaking hot and humid as a mother fucker out there. What on earth could possibly be a GOOD reason for her hair to be left out? Besides it being crazy hot, its flying everywhere, most likely getting in her way as she's trying to bend and deal with lines, getting in her eyes and such. Then there's the professional point of it being a potential safety hazard because of the risk of it getting caught in equipment and causing her injury. All this and she seems pissed that she has to put it up. Huh??? Why??? 

You know what I think, and I'm so sorry but this is gonna come across as completely bitchy but what else is there? I'm starting to think that she is one of those types of chicks that will hit the gym, with full make up, hair out (cause lets face it her fire red, curly long hair is most likely a hugh hit with most men) all ready for the stares and attention her hair brings her. I've know chicks like this. Long, curly hair... which most men go gaga for and even at the beach, hairs out, in the way, sun beaming, feels like you've got a wool knit cap on ya head but ohhhhh nooo can't put the hair up, gotta have the hair out, wild and sexy yada yada yada. This chick is pretty much melting out there on the deck but balks at the idea of having to pull her hair back?  In what universe could getting your hair out of your face and out of the way in such heat and high humidity be considered burden???? Ummm okay, I see you.

I subscribe to the theory that she won't pull her hair back for the same reason that Kevin screwed the Captain's serving up, which is  the same reason that other screw-ups ensue.  Instructions are likely handed out by production after they sign their contracts and they're likely reminded of their function/storyline during the course of filming.  Nonscripted drama may happen, but, that's a plus for production.  The recurring issues are too coincidental to be happenstance, imo.   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

She was awful to Amy and she was awful to Lauren. Lauren came on a bit strong when she joined the boat but she wasn't mean, rude or disrespectful.

Do you mean Laura? Canadian Laura? "Check yourself" Laura? I don't think there has been a Lauren on BD. BD Med, yes, but not BD. If so, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree about her behavior towards Kate. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Do you mean Laura? Canadian Laura? "Check yourself" Laura? I don't think there has been a Lauren on BD. BD Med, yes, but not BD. If so, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree about her behavior towards Kate. 

Yes Laura, my mistake.

I hated Laura's delivery and how she chose to address the unease she was MOST definitely getting from Kate but Kate wasn't just some innocent in that whole situation. She had been giving off bad energy towards Laura from the moment she got on the boat and compounded it with that first dinner. Kate's good at presenting the farce of non-conflict all the while making it clear that she's looking down on you. That's what Laura was truly reacting to but of course she looked like the outrageous one cause "technically" Kate hadn't "officially" said or done anything amiss. <eyeroll> but you can see how little by little Laura becomes more and more on edge due to Kate's veiled behavior towards her.

I'm the type that isn't constricted by semantics when observing and assessing the behavior of others. I didn't need Kate to blatantly or obviously be rude to come to my conclusions (although that dinner did provide some confirmation of Kate's meanspiritedness). The interaction between the two was enough for me to see what was going on there. Not to mention that Kate's TH's pretty much tell us how she was feeling at the time. Just because in the moment Kate remained rather neutral in her communication with Laura doesn't mean her energy wasn't conveying some of the feelings she was describing in her TH's. 

There's still body language, tone and delivery to take into account and I totally got why Laura was so uneasy. I didn't mind the idea of letting Kate know to watch herself but the way she did it was a complete mess. Personally I would have pulled Kate to the side and let her know that it's time she be a little more mindful of the way she addressed me and if she could please check the condescension at the door if she didn't want to receive the same style of communication in return. Sorry, not sorry. Just because I work for you doesn't mean you can just disrespect me because you're a mean girl, it's your party and you'll be mean if you want to. Nope, Uh-uh.. 

Doesn't seem like she's has much of an opportunity this season to have as deep an issue as she's has with past stews and if she does I can't imagine it would be anything as involved as previous seasons. These gals are taking care of business pretty well so I would think it would be a complete stretch to come up with something at this point. I mean I'm sure they can but I doubt it can be anything truly meaty. I.E. Crazy Rocky, Stressed out Caroline, Check yourself Laura, All over the place Kat, Emotional Amy..... 

Wowza Kate's got a pretty good sized list of stews that she's bumped heads with.  Throw in a bosun, deckhand or two and well yeah.... pretty much sums it up. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Doesn't seem like she's has much of an opportunity this season to have as deep an issue as she's has with past stews and if she does I can't imagine it would be anything as involved as previous seasons. These gals are taking care of business pretty well so I would think it would be a complete stretch to come up with something at this point. I mean I'm sure they can but I doubt it can be anything truly meaty. I.E. Crazy Rocky, Stressed out Caroline, Check yourself Laura, All over the place Kat, Emotional Amy..... 

Wowza Kate's got a pretty good sized list of stews that she's bumped heads with.  Throw in a bosun, deckhand or two and well yeah.... pretty much sums it up. 

It is much easier to list the people Kate got along with them the ones she had big problems with over the years.

She pretty much got along with Josiah and that’s it.

Of course she made up for that by not talking to him anymore.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

That Alli deckhand is a brat...giving lip...”oh suddenly the boat’s going to sink because I have big hair” dumb ass...

It May have been mentioned...but she’s serving Lindsey Lohan to me...now especially with the defiant behavior...

• Love 1
On 10/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, breezy424 said:

I think there might be something living in Abbi's hair.  God, does she even comb it? (For survivor watchers:  She would have no problem hiding a hidden immunity idol in that mess.) 

LOL, funny! Your post reminded me of what my hubby observed: "Not only are there bugs in that messy nest of hair, but the bugs have built condos and are implementing strata." He had me laughing for 5 mins straight with that observation,

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, esco1822 said:

he is responsible for calling him a CU Next Tuesday...The sole reason Kevin is losing favor with Lee, is Kevin. 

HOW on earth did I miss this? When did he call Captain Lee that? That's is one word that I will not tolerate during discussions, nevermind as a directed response!

On 10/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Of course it was producer shenanigans... Add a deckhand who screws up and gets fired and that’s every season so far.

I LOVE when a crew member gets fired, especially if the person being fired deserves it! Bye Abbi; Bye Kevin! 

• Love 2
On 10/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, PaperTree said:

Chef Unicorn was just another horny billy goat.

Great observations. I found Adrian to be talented, yet socially "off". He is a cuisine genius, but when a young man refers to sex as enjoying "pleasures of the flesh", he sounds like a virgin to me, lol. I don't care if he referenced his girlfriend's and his relationship as 'open'. She supposedly dumped him once he returned home, but I figure they were never really a couple.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2019 at 7:07 AM, ihartcoffee said:

She needs to learn to braid it, that's the best solution for her on a boat in hot,  humid weather.  Kevin  is acting like a total douche bag. Good chefs seem to be hard to find....

What Below Deck has taught me about Chefs... They are highly sensitive, alcoholic divas.

• Love 4
On 10/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

The reason that the Captain is starting with a grudge is Kate tattling and stirring the shit the way she always does on this show. 

I wouldn't call it tattling, but rather giving the Captain a head's up. Kate's done this job long enough to recognize which crewmates are not gelling with the boat's community. Imagine if Kevin did something even worse and the crew were demanding he be fired? Captain can't just fire someone based upon only one complaint. (Unless it's a major error.)

• Love 5

It appears in the previews that the crew doesn’t think Kate is “gelling” with the crew. At least Ashton said so in the preview.

Should the Captain fire Kate?

Or should he tell them to cut the crap and do their jobs?

Kate started trouble unnecessarily by going to the Captain about a triviality that had already been resolved. She is a shit stirrer. But that’s her job. She is not just a glorified housekeeper. She is Tamra.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Captain Lee is implying that the Chef should subordinate himself to his daughter and follow her dictates. 

I waitressed/bartender through college.  I just know this - CHEFS/COOKS ARE AHOLES.

3 hours ago, Chalby said:

What Below Deck has taught me about Chefs... They are highly sensitive, alcoholic divas.

Ok, I'll buy that.

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I subscribe to the theory that she won't pull her hair back for the same reason that Kevin screwed the Captain's serving up, which is  the same reason that other screw-ups ensue.  Instructions are likely handed out by production after they sign their contracts and they're likely reminded of their function/storyline during the course of filming.  Nonscripted drama may happen, but, that's a plus for production.  The recurring issues are too coincidental to be happenstance, imo.   

I agree with every word you say....but.....It's more fun to pretend, what they're selling.

• Love 3
On 10/29/2019 at 9:27 AM, Yours Truly said:

wouldn't mind seeing Matt again but for dramas sake I'm thinking Adam would be more to the producers liking as a replacement.  I doubt it would be Ben though. They know we've just come off a season watching him, love him or hate him I doubt the producers would think over saturating their Bravo audience with Ben would be wise. 

Oh god please not mopey onion obsessed Adam. Kevin is the most uninspired chef ever. And an arrogant prick. Hope he's gone soon. I'd rather have Adrienne. At least he was talented, creative and could think on the fly. And it would be fun to watch Courtney deal with his inappropriate sexual comments.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Do you mean Laura? Canadian Laura? "Check yourself" Laura? I don't think there has been a Lauren on BD. BD Med, yes, but not BD.

There has been a Lauren on Below Deck. She was on during season 4 when every guy had a crush on Rabbity Emily. Lauren had a massive crush on Nico. Him?!?!? Lauren used to crew Richard Branson's catamaran, Necker Belle.

https://www.bravotv.com/people/lauren-burchell

• Love 1

Kate and Lee are so far up each other's asses they can't see the sun shine. They are a Bravo package and workin' hard for that Bravo plotline and paycheck. Lee looked like a fool with his petulant behavior toward Kevin.

And Kate is the teacher's pet who tattles. When she isn't tormenting someone with less power than she has (e.g., taunting a disturbed Caroline while Caroline cried behind the door). That's the real Kate.

What I'm really not getting is WHY is she so bothered by the request??? There is absolutely NO logical reason why pulling her hair back is an inconvenience.

Abbi is obsessed with her own hair - she thinks it's her TV calling card. She's determined to display it. I can't figure out if she's growing curly dreads or has a weave.

Production and tips aside, was there liability in Brandi being overserved by the crew? She was severely incapacitated for a lengthy period of time, unable to maintain consciousness and control her body movements.

I can see Ashton's thoughts about the blonde stew who won't give him the time of day: "She's hot." "She's not my type." (after being shot down the first time) "I'll make her pay attention to me" (before partying) "She's a bitch and I will put her in her place." (after getting shot down again")

The optics of Simone laboring over laundry are unfortunate.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
On 10/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, biakbiak said:

There is no deal they have just known each other for years, predating the show, and are friends who live near each other who socialize when not filming.

Yes, and Cap doesn't like to "babysit" and knows he can rely on Kate to keep te interior running smoothly. She's very good at her job.

• Love 10