Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Weekend at Brandy's II

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

Kate and Lee are so far up each other's asses they can't see the sun shine. They are a Bravo package and workin' hard for that Bravo plotline and paycheck. Lee looked like a fool with his petulant behavior toward Kevin.

And Kate is the teacher's pet who tattles. When she isn't tormenting someone with less power than she has (e.g., taunting a disturbed Caroline while Caroline cried behind the door). That's the real Kate.

1000 times this.

Captain Crunch makes a big deal about Department heads handling problems with getting him involved and then Kate runs and tattles about a minor incident that was already settled. How does that work? Is Ashton responsible for his crews screwups and Kate skates? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Captain Crunch makes a big deal about Department heads handling problems with getting him involved and then Kate runs and tattles about a minor incident that was already settled. How does that work? Is Ashton responsible for his crews screwups and Kate skates? 

To clarify, Kevin is not in Kate's department. The stews are her department. The deck hands are Ashton's department. Kate, Ashton and Kevin report directly to Captain Lee. Kate talking to the Captain about Kevin is an entirely different situation that cannot be compared with Ashton being responsible for the deck hands.

Edited by Jsage
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Kevin is the most uninspired chef ever. And an arrogant prick. Hope he's gone soon. 

I had to laugh at Kevin's words, especially when he arrogantly implies the interior stews are beneath him and not equals, intellectually. Then he goes on to say he dropped out of school at 14 so he could focus on cooking. Not that school equates intelligence BUT I am pretty sure the stews are all above him when it comes to intelligence.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jsage said:

To clarify, Kevin is not in Kate's department. The stews are her department. The deck hands are Ashton's department. Kate, Ashton and Kevin report directly to Captain Lee. Kate talking to the Captain about Kevin is an entirely different situation that cannot be compared with Ashton being responsible for the deck hands.

In other words, there is no one else who can relate issues with the Chef, since he has no supervisor other than the Captain or even underlings, who can bring issues forward. He has no one to hold him accountable to the captain. If there are problems, it’s really only Kate who is in the interior to see them and also reports directly to the Captain, to regularly have his ear. 

Edited by MJS
Added a comma
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Yes, and Cap doesn't like to "babysit" and knows he can rely on Kate to keep te interior running smoothly. She's very good at her job.

But the interior never runs smoothly. Last season we saw a stew breakdown mentally and Kate and Josiah taunted her like she was Manuel Noriega holed up in his bunker. This season we saw previews with Simone and Ashton and the rest of the crew having big problems with her this season. She has had big  problems with many shipmates over the years. 

I think Captain Lee’s celebrity as the “Stud of the Sea” has gone to his head and his arrogance and passive aggressive management style is really off putting. 

• Love 2

The issue with breakfast service was Kevin trying to push out food before the guests were ready.  He did the same thing with the spring roll appetizers, the guests were still on the tour while he's yelling for service.  We've seen enough of these seasons to know that appetizers are served AFTER they leave the dock and are underway.  He misrepresented the issue in his re-telling of the breakfast fiasco to Captain Lee and then walked away mid conversation.

He also failed to order seafood for the guest requested seafood extravaganza.  As a result, he was noticeably short an entree, and decided not to do anything about it.  IMO, that was a huge fuck you to the Captain. Not sure how you could take it any other way.

How Kevin's issues have anything to do with Kate is beyond me. If he'd crawl out of his own ass and have a conversation with her, he might actually learn something.  Instead, he decided to publicly slam the interior after the first charter and slam his boss in his interviews. His attitude is 100% the issue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
On 11/1/2019 at 10:02 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I subscribe to the theory that she won't pull her hair back for the same reason that Kevin screwed the Captain's serving up, which is  the same reason that other screw-ups ensue.  Instructions are likely handed out by production after they sign their contracts and they're likely reminded of their function/storyline during the course of filming.  Nonscripted drama may happen, but, that's a plus for production.  The recurring issues are too coincidental to be happenstance, imo.   

So under your theory, production told Ashton to step on that line, get pulled overboard, nearly amputated, exsanguinated, and drowned. Because lets not mince words, Abbi's hair is actually that same level of dangerousness. In season 5, Bruno ended up with a nasty leg injury when he got tangled in a line while they dealing with the slide.

No producer in their right mind would ever tell a cast member to do something as reckless as keeping your hair down. Not because an injury or death could result in liability. It wouldn't. They wouldn't do it because a cast death might mean a scrapped season. Shain Gandee's accidental death got Buckwild canceled. Below Deck has so many mounted cameras that they'll surely get footage of whatever accident injures or kills Abbi. The last thing a showrunner wants to do is call up network executives and ask how to proceed because there's been a serious injury or death. They have to suspend production while executives decide what to do.

To a certain extent, being a reality tv producer is a lot like being a trial lawyer. There's an adage "never ask a question that you don't know the answer to." Telling Abbi to leave her hair down in hopes that it gets tangled is asking a question where you don't know the answer. Her injuries could run the gamut from a slightly sore scalp and having to cut her hair free to losing chunks of her scalp to broken bones to death.

Those dumb theme parties? Those are producer shenanigans. A guest who requests an 11 course tasting menu all in red? Producer shenanigans. A picnic lunch at the top of Eze? Producer shenanigans.

• Love 19

Kevin needs to quit. Much like Leon in a previous season he will never get a fair hearing from the Captain because Kate has poisoned the well. I do have a suspicion that Kate’s problems with Leon has a racial component much as her efforts to marginalize and isolate Simone in the galley. Why else would you name Simone second stew and then stick her in the laundry while you gossip and push forward the blond with the bad attitude? It’s just very fishy to me. 

2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Why else would you name Simone second stew and then stick her in the laundry while you gossip and push forward the blond with the bad attitude? It’s just very fishy to me. 

Because in their first meeting Simone said she liked doing laundry and was good at it and Courtney said that the only thing she liked was guest interaction. And the limited amount we have seen with Simone interacting with guests she hasn’t exactly excelled. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because in their first meeting Simone said she liked doing laundry and was good at it and Courtney said that the only thing she liked was guest interaction. And the limited amount we have seen with Simone interacting with guests she hasn’t exactly excelled. 

Maybe. Time will tell. It just feels different to me.

Maybe it’s because I dislike Kate because I can’t stand bullies. I just have to ignore the evidence of my lying eyes.

23 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kevin needs to quit. Much like Leon in a previous season he will never get a fair hearing from the Captain because Kate has poisoned the well.

Kate had nothing to do with Kevin not getting seafood for the "extravaganza". Nor did she have anything to do with his misstep that resulted in the Captain not having a main course at dinner. She didn't force Kevin not to make an alternative real quickly. It wasn't Kate that just patted Lee on the back, like - "You'll get over it, dude." Kate didn't make Kevin walk out of his conversation with Lee without saying goodbye. I'm pretty sure Captain Lee can form his own opinion of Kevin that has NOTHING to do with Kate's opinion of the chef. 

• Love 21
14 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Kate had nothing to do with Kevin not getting seafood for the "extravaganza". Nor did she have anything to do with his misstep that resulted in the Captain not having a main course at dinner. She didn't force Kevin not to make an alternative real quickly. It wasn't Kate that just patted Lee on the back, like - "You'll get over it, dude." Kate didn't make Kevin walk out of his conversation with Lee without saying goodbye. I'm pretty sure Captain Lee can form his own opinion of Kevin that has NOTHING to do with Kate's opinion of the chef. 

I completely agree! I'm not quite sure why Kate is getting the blame for Kevin being an arrogant idiot through his own actions. I understand not liking someone, but to blame them for everything that goes wrong on the boat is a bit much.

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 18
On 11/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kevin needs to quit. Much like Leon in a previous season he will never get a fair hearing from the Captain because Kate has poisoned the well. I do have a suspicion that Kate’s problems with Leon has a racial component much as her efforts to marginalize and isolate Simone in the galley. Why else would you name Simone second stew and then stick her in the laundry while you gossip and push forward the blond with the bad attitude? It’s just very fishy to me. 

I feel like accusing Kate of being racist just because she's having Simone do laundry (which Simone said she likes doing?), is going way too far. The only time I saw someone being condescending and demeaning towards Simone was Kevin by basically saying she's stupid i.e. "there's not a lot going on upstairs with that one", "it's NOT rocket science", I don't care about his insincere apology he was absolutely rude. So we're going to accuse Kate of being racist by simply having Simone doing laundry, but not of Kevin when he insults her so badly and calling her stupid?

• Love 12
On 11/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Maybe. Time will tell. It just feels different to me.

Maybe it’s because I dislike Kate because I can’t stand bullies. I just have to ignore the evidence of my lying eyes.

Ironically enough, Simone mentioned how she was bullied growing up, that's why she was so bothered by what Kevin said. So, I guess from the looks of it Kevin was being the bully in this episode? Hmm, something to ponder...

• Love 7
On 10/29/2019 at 2:01 PM, Yours Truly said:

So it seriously bugs the crap out of me that Abbi has to be repeatedly told to pull her hair back. It's absolutely ridiculous for a number of reasons. Captain has mentioned it to her MORE than twice already so basically she's just blowing him off. That alone makes me not really like her. Like who the fuck are you to be all "yeah, okay, got it" then mosey off and not do what you were told to do by the Captain... That's just straight unprofessional and bratty. 

What I'm really not getting is WHY is she so bothered by the request??? There is absolutely NO logical reason why pulling her hair back is an inconvenience. It actually seems like it would be for her own benefit if she were to pull it back. One, it's freaking hot and humid as a mother fucker out there. What on earth could possibly be a GOOD reason for her hair to be left out? Besides it being crazy hot, its flying everywhere, most likely getting in her way as she's trying to bend and deal with lines, getting in her eyes and such. Then there's the professional point of it being a potential safety hazard because of the risk of it getting caught in equipment and causing her injury. All this and she seems pissed that she has to put it up. Huh??? Why??? 

You know what I think, and I'm so sorry but this is gonna come across as completely bitchy but what else is there? I'm starting to think that she is one of those types of chicks that will hit the gym, with full make up, hair out (cause lets face it her fire red, curly long hair is most likely a hugh hit with most men) all ready for the stares and attention her hair brings her. I've know chicks like this. Long, curly hair... which most men go gaga for and even at the beach, hairs out, in the way, sun beaming, feels like you've got a wool knit cap on ya head but ohhhhh nooo can't put the hair up, gotta have the hair out, wild and sexy yada yada yada. This chick is pretty much melting out there on the deck but balks at the idea of having to pull her hair back?  In what universe could getting your hair out of your face and out of the way in such heat and high humidity be considered burden???? Ummm okay, I see you.

I do think she is keeping her hair out for vanity reasons. It is interesting to me the men love it part because I personally don’t like her hair at all but I guess people do.

The safety part of the hair stresses me out. I keep thinking it will get caught in a rope or chain or something.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, fountain said:

I do think she is keeping her hair out for vanity reasons. It is interesting to me the men love it part because I personally don’t like her hair at all but I guess people do.

The safety part of the hair stresses me out. I keep thinking it will get caught in a rope or chain or something.

Vanity Reasons. Perfect way to describe it. 

I'm not a fan either. It looks matted and ratty and I'm sure it can look absolutely stunning but in her current situation she just doesn't have the time and the elements are working against her regardless.

I've got pretty long hair. It turns heads and all that jazz and I've even been talked into letting it down even though I knew it was not in the best state at all. Ratty, frizzy, all kinds of no bueno but my ex would be so persistent sometimes and convince me to take it down in the middle of drinks at the bar or whatever we were out doing. I'd be soooooo self conscious but yup, positive attention and feedback but that doesn't mean I made it a habit. 

My thing is, if it truly seems out of place to have my hair out and flying free then I'll usually have it up. I was in the military and very rarely did I wear make up in uniform. (Referring to make up in uniform as an example about what makes sense to me and what doesn't) Now I have nothing against women who put a full face on especially in garrison but at the same time I was just too lazy. I'm the type that believes in the whole package deal. I'm a fashionista so I'm thinking hair, nails, make up, shoes, outfit, jewelry purse.  I like a WHOLE look. That's my thing. To me one, without the other , well there's just no point.  Especially since I'm pretty satisfied with my looks in general. With or without make up so I just feel like I'm trying too hard if I'm popping into the gym, hair out, full face of make up. I saw no point in putting on make up when I was wearing my cammies and boots in the desert or during some training exercise where striking a pose wasn't priority and wouldn't yield pretty results anyway.  

So to me it's the same with Abbie and what she's got going on. Sweetie, you're out in the heat, doing physical labor all day. Bracing the elements, getting sprayed, wearing a pretty generic uniform, barefoot and sweaty. What glamour moment do you think you're missing out on by having to pull your hair up? It's ridiculous. But some women just have to feel themselves every moment of every day especially when there are men nearby. Oh and again I'll mention how terrible her hair looks anyway so that makes it even more pathetic. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2019 at 11:43 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

much as her efforts to marginalize and isolate Simone in the galley. Why else would you name Simone second stew and then stick her in the laundry while you gossip and push forward the blond with the bad attitude? It’s just very fishy to me. 

I do not think this because Simone stated she enjoys laundry but does not feel confident interacting with guests. Kate has been accommodating her, but has also been showing signs of wanting to swap Courtney and Simone so Simone isn't always on laundry (much to Courtney's chagrin).

• Love 1
On 10/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, pieinmyeye said:

I can’t believe the douche bag turned around and walked out on the Captain, suddenly found some fresh prawns in the freezer, and then ate Cap’s dinner! If I was the Captain, I would be so embarrassed.

He was embarrassed however, he certainly did not address it properly when the Chef came up to the bridge.  He was like a spoiled kid, won't look at you, won't speak to you... wah wah wah.  As Captain, he should have given him the what for's.  First, not ordering product (yes, he mentioned it but like, not in a way that means, get your shit together), then, not paying attention to the guests, fighting with Kate, etc.  He could have told him to get his fucking galley in order and stay out of the other departments (service).  AND... when the dipshit started to walk away, he should of called his ass back to him and said, I"M NOT FINISHED yet... then dismiss him to the galley.  Nope, he let him walk off then says to the camera, can you imagine having the balls to turn his back to the captain!  YOU WERE NOT SPEAKING TO HIM, what the hell was he supposed to do, sit there? Then you'd have said, what are you sitting here for?  Bad handling on Cap Lee's part, IMO.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:38 AM, Misslindsey said:

This. Kevin screwed up and deserved some shit for that, but Captain Lee not even bothering to look at him and then praising every team, but him was some passive aggressive BS. I may be biased since I have been over Captain Lee since the Rocky season. I find him no better or worse than Captain Sandy.

Another unpopular opinion is that I get that Captain Lee and Kate are close, but I do find it a bit concerning that he takes her word over anyone else. Sigh, but what do I know?

This right here!! I totally agree and am with you on the two captains as well.  

• Like 1