Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Game Day

Drogo
Message added by Bort

Click here to read the rules before posting.

• Start Topic

Having an alternate makes sense.  They probably should have two or three. 

I do wonder what they're doing about the formations though.  Being a understudy/swing who will actually perform is much harder than being in the same spot every time.  They have to know everyone's spot, where the formation changes are ect. . . . So, is there a veteran who they are moving around each week or are they doing that with a rookie?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Courtney Cook? I didn't see her but it'd be neat if she was there.

I thought I saw Courtney Russ either at meet the team or at the game. But, of course, I can't figure out how to post a screen shot.🤦‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, gotta watch said:

And why were they saying "There were 10 girls worthy of making this team?" I didn't understand the significance of 10 in that context. 

There were 10 training camp candidates remaining.  They agreed all 10 girls deserved to make the team. Apparently they will have the top performing 36 girls on the field at games with one girl sitting out. However, they didn’t show how they explained that to the girls in the episode tonight. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, gotta watch said:

Could anyone please explain to me this 36-37 jazz? And why were they saying "There were 10 girls worthy of making this team?" I didn't understand the significance of 10 in that context. 
I'm so happy for Lily! 

Were there 10 rookies left?  I think that's what they were talking about.

Did anyone else think it was convenient that someone else was not going to dance the first game?

• Love 2

I say this every year - I have really enjoyed this thread- something to look forward to after the work week. For me, this show and the thread is more than just dancing. I will miss this thread and all of the discussions we've had the past 13 Fridays.

Onto Season 15 !

878841881_ezgif.com-resize(4).gif.5af8593150b895f9ae38e1b9515b300f.gif

Edited by sATL
  • Love 21
5 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

No it was Rachel a who missed it not Rachel w 

I wonder if she actually missed a rehearsal or if that was just an excuse. I hope she wouldn’t be punished when it comes to auditions next year.... 😳

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Laurendcc said:

I wonder if she actually missed a rehearsal or if that was just an excuse. I hope she wouldn’t be punished when it comes to auditions next year.... 😳

She was in a wedding and missed it 

3 minutes ago, Laurendcc said:

Me too. I like her a lot. She seems strong this year. I will never understand the Meredith decision. The game clips I see of her she still lags. But Rachel I hope she will not be sacrificed later.

• Love 5

I always love the "you made the team" announcement but that was terrible. They literally singled out the bottom two, made it obvious they were bottom two, faked out to their friends they were being cut, deprived them of the thrill of finding out as a team that they all made it, and rather than "this is our team" it's "psyche! We didn't cut the worst girls." Just horrible. It's also awful that they had to have staged it by telling Meredith and Lilly that they were going to run out and surprise the others.

Nearly as horrible...the big posters of Victoria's head at the Meet the Team night. 

Tied for nearly as horrible, "A ++++ Victoria! Squeeeeeeee"

F- episode.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21

Wow, where to begin. The rookies were stripped of being officially announced the 2019-20 team. Just to push the image of how “close they all are”. Off camera, they soon learned that once a week, someone’s not going to perform (a.k.a. Docked for whatever reason), and NOT get paid. So next year, Kelli can have 40 ladies revolving on a budget for 36. No need to pay a retired veteran in emergencies, extra rookies will hang around for free. When Charlotte suggested that, I was honestly mortified.

The first game was a hot mess. Rachel looked really upset not getting to perform (for missing a rehearsal). Lexie was out of her line at the end of crossing the field. Someone had a huge run in their hosiery from the crotch/back of thigh. The kick line was the worst zigzag I’ve ever seen, wow. Two points for triangle but hiding Amy into the middle. I feel the team got robbed in many ways this year.

• Love 18

This is disgusting... After all the negative press NFL has gotten for their treatment of cheerleaders, multiple squads being eliminated and a lawsuit from Erica, they decided that NOW it would be a great time to force a girl to spend her whole day on call, without being paid or being able to find a different gig for the day to make money or you know, take a day off just to have an alternate and not have to pay an all star? Are you serious? I sure hope this gets te attention it should. I’m fine with one girl sitting out (although you can’t convince me that Meredith has outdanced all these vets and it should be a rookie sitting out each game, not a vet), but if you don’t pay her, don’t force her to be there.

• Love 16

Haven’t watched the episode yet, but have they addressed what happens when the 36 are picked for game day? Depending on who sits out, can’t that really screw with formations and groups and then you’re asking rookies or 2nd year vets to adapt on the fly (since some of your senior most vets have locked spots in the triangle). 

Seems like asking an all star to fill in is going to be easier since they’re used to quickly picking up spacing, formation changes, etc. Why wouldn’t you set up your rookies for success for keeping their spots consistent whenever possible?

and nothing for nothing, but why this arrangement NOW and not in previous years?

• Love 11
3 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I’m fine with one girl sitting out (although you can’t convince me that Meredith has outdanced all these vets and it should be a rookie sitting out each game, not a vet), but if you don’t pay her, don’t force her to be there.

I wish whomever is not selected 36  to dance would get to stay home.  

Edited by Mardo2044
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, JunebugTx said:

Were there 10 rookies left?  I think that's what they were talking about.

Did anyone else think it was convenient that someone else was not going to dance the first game?

She looked upset, but missed practice  because of a wedding.  I remember one series they made a big deal of someone sitting out because they were late game day. it was a major part of the episode.  Here they are making it not that "big" a deal at all "Oh good, all the rookies get to dance!"  I didn't like that.

I don't get this 36 on the field thing at all.  I read and believed what electricbugaloo said about dancers making changes, but if Kelli is saying the weakest may or may not be on the field then in theory Meredith would never take the field.  It makes sense to have all stars fill in for injuries because they can sort of pop back in and are well versed... if now the 37th is there for injuries and absences then they are changing formations and lines to hit on the field for every rookie every game day.  It makes sense why their jump split line on game day was a mess (someone showed on the spoiler thread) because they are now running new formations every week instead of working on tightening these other components.  The only way I could see this working is to still use the all stars for injuries and the two worst dancers have basically the same position and whomever improves or shows effort in practice is the one dancing, or they trade off.  But overall I think it is dumb.  I tried to read back on the spoilers thread who sat out each game so far, but too much to go through.  I'd be interested in knowing that.

Edited by Mardo2044
clarity
  • Love 7

Question: Does the alternate get paid? She is at the stadium giving up her time. Football teams have a lot of extra players on the sidelines and they still get paid. 

I still don't know much about Kelcey except to say she blends in well. 

The camera person seems to love Bridget. She is just so full of good energy. #Bridget4Point

Still not impressed/Wowed with Amy or Maddie as Point. Heather was looking more glamorous. 

Overall, the rookie class has some promise. I wonder how many will be one and done. 

• Love 10
Just now, blairwaldorf said:

I can’t believe they changed things around so much just so they wouldn’t have to cut Meredith. I really hope she’s a one and done and that at some point we learn why they couldn’t cut her. What a train wreck. 

That's what I read into that.  It seems to me at a great cost.... but maybe there is a financial advantage with the Cowboys org we do not know about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, blairwaldorf said:

I can’t believe they changed things around so much just so they wouldn’t have to cut Meredith. I really hope she’s a one and done and that at some point we learn why they couldn’t cut her. What a train wreck. 

Continuing with the "conspiracy theories" did anyone else notice how she was talking to some Dallas Cowboys employee while she was walking to rehearsal. We haven't seen any other girls being friends with anyone in the organization, while the cheerleaders are pretty and a revenue source, it's doubtful they're really considered to be of any great importance to the team.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Awww Phil brought out the uniforms

Loved that he said he wanted to take it full circle since he rolls out the board at prelims. And he’s looking very dapper!

So happy for Lily— you could see the tension go away.

I even smiled at A++++++ Victoria. Although her look towards the camera when they ran to the locker room for the first time.... well, that was pure Jurassic Park velociraptor.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, sATL said:

I say this every year - I have really enjoyed this thread- something to look forward to after the work week. For me, this show and the thread is more than just dancing. I will miss this thread and all of the discussions we've had the past 13 Fridays.

Onto Season 15 !

878841881_ezgif.com-resize(4).gif.5af8593150b895f9ae38e1b9515b300f.gif

Yes!  Although not having it on Thursdays DID mess me up... every Thur I would get excited to only wait until FRI.  WIll miss reading your posts!

3 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

Loved that he said he wanted to take it full circle since he rolls out the board at prelims. And he’s looking very dapper!

This was great!  He is the cheerleader for the cheerleaders!

• Love 8

For some reason I always see things differently and I'm not sure why.  I have no criticism or snark for anyone.

I thought this was one of the best seasons ever.  I loved how Kelly introduced the team (look all the way around).  

I can see all the ladies are so very excited.  At their ages, it probably is "the best thing" ever that has happened.  I'm thrilled for all of them, especially those who endured the editing of CMT to be made to look like, well, whatever.

Charlotte seemed so very genuine.  She knows what she is looking for and encouraged Kelly to follow her heart (which apparently she does have).

Great season Kelly, Judy, Charlotte, Shelly, Phil and others.  One would think after this many seasons I would remember how to spell names but I cannot remember if Kelly is Kelli.  

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I never heard any of TPTB say someone wasn't going to be paid.  I'm choosing not to believe that until someone official confirms it.  36 on the field is different than saying 1 isn't going to be paid but still has to be there.

There's no way the one sitting out doesn't get paid. This would be a PR and HR nightmare. The compensation may be different, which would still be pretty crappy; but I seriously doubt they are going unpaid. How would that even be legal? I'm convinced that this was yet another executive decision to create maximum drama for better reality show optics. It was never about  the budget. If we have alternates AND show group, why would we need All-Stars?

• Love 12
8 hours ago, TxBex said:

Can I just say how Alanna just became one of my DCC favorites? We barely heard anything about her all season, and then tonight Lily gave her the shout out she deserves. ❤️ Alanna seems like a really sweet and supportive friend.

At least CMT used her in promos! So bizarre how far back she is in the team photo tho, given the CMT choice. But she seems like an absolute doll. 

36 minutes ago, TxBex said:

There's no way the one sitting out doesn't get paid. This would be a PR and HR nightmare. The compensation may be different, which would still be pretty crappy; but I seriously doubt they are going unpaid. How would that even be legal? I'm convinced that this was yet another executive decision to create maximum drama for better reality show optics. It was never about  the budget. If we have alternates AND show group, why would we need All-Stars?

This. My guess is that she’s being paid the hourly wage to sit/help backstage/etc but if she was called in to perform it would switch to the game day flat fee. Either way, it’s not legal for her to be unpaid. Unpaid work hours was the crux of the Wilkins lawsuit and I’ve got to think they’ve buttoned that up now. ETA: if they were salaried, then no worries. But a salary wouldn’t make sense for the DCC given the differing workload, unless they all got a flat rate salary for game performance and then a kicker for appearances. And perhaps a show group member would get a higher salary given the extra workload? Sounds like a hot mess! 

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, TxBex said:

one way to control payment from an HR perspective would be different charge/accounting codes when they fill out thier time.

Even though a job might be salary - at the end of the pay period -  one still fills out their time into a system, you can put how many hours/days/etc by charge (project/assignment) code.  Then the budget is determine how much $$  is needed for each charge code - which follows payment could be different.

For example if a dancer is assigned to the game, the show-group and to be the ambassador ( Is that what they are calling the person who sits out? ), then they could submit a time document with 3 different charge codes. On payday, the check could be whatever the company has stated.

Edited by sATL

I’m thinking one reason they took 37 this year is because the allstars are dancing in the new game show on CMT that they highlighted during one of the commercial breaks.  So now that the allstars are not as readily available, they have an alternate already there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

Question: I still don't know much about Kelcey except to say she blends in well.

Kelcey (as a blond) danced/cheered for awhile on the Arizona State squad, then switched to University of Nebraska for its med school (and Big 10 cheer); changed back to dark hair at some point.

She just graduated with a nursing degree & has been fitting in her DCC stuff with studying for nursing boards. So she might be a one-and-done, depending on the constraints of whatever nursing job she gets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

The "game" - that was preseason correct ? If so, I kinda wish they would continue the filming for  a few more weeks showing how they correct and work out the kinks.

Plus, I would think as it gets closer to the actual NFL season there would be more season-rollout-events for show group to perform.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TxBex said:

I would agree with this, pretty sure it's a labor law violation, especially since Kelli was issuing orders to Rachel regarding her duties for the day. Secondly, considering how much money the Cowboys rake in on game day from beer, food, souvenirs, ect. it is just plain tacky for Charlotte the billionaire to say that an extra 150 bucks in payroll is unaffordable.

• Love 13

So the whole Kat and Meredith are the alternates story was wrong.  I wish they had shown Kelli trying to explain it to them so we could get it.  It looks to me that after Rachel A had to sit out due to missing a practice for a wedding (which I predicted was why when the game happened) that they had Kat sit out and then the vets appear to be taking one for the team.  I do not see Molly and Bri as being the weakest as to why they sat out.  Bri posted all day about being "show mom" and seemed to be having fun based on her instagram.  If it was based on the weakest at practice, I  would see that as rotating between Kat, Meredith and Lily.  Now that Lily has made the team I hope she relaxes and smiles.

I am happy for all of the new rookies.  I really hope Amanda stays for a while IMO she's the star of the rookies with Victoria and Kelcey right behind her.  There are probably things that come up in which a vet misses practice and then has to sit out the game or they have decided to volunteer so the new girls can dance.  Kelli should be taking note of because that's a great teammate.

Edited by Lexusprincess
  • Love 6