Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Blurred Lines

Trini
  • Start Topic

Kara attempts to mend her relationship with Lena. J'onn J'onzz takes a deep dive into his memories while Kelly tries to help an old friend.

Eric Dean Seaton directed the episode written by Lindsay Struman & J. Holtham.

Airdate: 10/20/2019

010-season5-episode3.jpg

12 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I would've thought Sean Astin was too good for this show...

At first I just thought it was someone who looked like him. It wasn’t until halfway through the episode that I realized it really was Sean Astin.

So Kara really flew around the world to get Lena all her favorite foods. That’s straight out of fanfic, but I’ll roll with it. I’m kind of hoping that Lena will continue to push Kara to do shadier and shadier things in the name of friendship, and that’s what makes Kara realize Lena is not ok.

Does Kelly have superpowers now? Or is she just connected to Malefic?

I liked the J’onn/Nia scenes. We don’t see them together often. And it was nice to see Carl Lumby back.

Andrea’s the worst. That pitch meeting was painful. And I just find everything to do with William Dey annoying. I doubt the payoff to his big secret will be that interesting.

BTW, is the Monitor ever going to show up? I keep waiting for him to show up and ruin the mood. I find it funny he went out of his way to tell Barry and Oliver they’re going to die, when in the comics 

Spoiler

Kara was the character that literally died.

Also, I just realized they’ve gotten rid of the “My name is Kara Zor-el...” intro. I’m pretty sure they dropped it from the Flash too. I wonder why.

• Love 3

Good episode. Things are moving around, even with CatCo continuing to go click-bait-y, the horrible people behind that, and Brainy flummoxed by what Nia wants. He means so well, you know? And any social interactions he built his life around (minuscule as they may have been) are negated because it happened on another planet AND one thousand years in the future. Maybe he needs a dating app. Maybe he needs TO date an app.

And yes, nice workaround in making the Martians in J'onn vision appear as human. We wind up with Carl Lumbly yelling in pain again . . . but he's been very good at it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Oh man. Three episodes in, and Kelly/Alex are ALREADY separated for plot reasons. I'd be more mad at this, but every time we have told characters who are in danger to stop running in the face of danger and they never listen, it's nice to see someone say "Hey, you're right. I DO have to get as far away from the villain as possible now that I'm his biggest threat." Although really, it's also to make it more difficult for them to figure out who Malefic looks like now. 

I doubt it'll last long, anyway. Four episodes, tops, and Kelly will be back. 

J'onn/Nia scenes! Yay! I hated that J'onn was a cause for Malefic not being remembered by him or his father.

Sorry, show, but you have completely ruined Lena/Kara scenes this season because of our knowledge that Lena is pissed at Kara and is basically being all fake. I don't see any remorse from her, knowing that she's going to be backstabbing her friend. Fine, be mad at Kara, but the difference in Kara's lies to Lena about being Supergirl and Lena's lies to Kara about forgiving her is about intent. Kara wasn't intentionally trying to hurt Lena, but she definitely unintentionally hurt her. But Lena is intentionally going to hurt Kara, and she knows it. She has to know that this betrayal is going to sting. 

I get Lena's trust issues, but she doesn't have to be so cruel in faking being forgiving to Kara. She can say "Yeah, I'm pissed and need some space."

Andrea is such a cartoony villain right now. This episode, with her only scene, had me laughing at Andrea's lines. Yes, show, we get that she's so evil that she'll use death as clickbait and it's gotta be a flashy death. Maybe Lena can make YOUR death flashy enough. I bet that Andrea will die and her death, however it may be, will be a headline at multiple news outlets. How ironic. 

Also don't care about William Dey and his whatever secrets. 

I totally sided with Nia on the Brainy issue. He has to find a way to tone it down because I'd be annoyed with Brainy being at 100%. 

To end on a great note, SEAN ASTIN! 

• Love 7

1. Sean Astin playing evil! Yay!

2. Supergirl apparently having plenty of euros and/or a credit card that can be used overseas without needing to call a bank first! Slightly less yay. Also, those didn't look like styrofoam cups. Did anyone manage to get the cups back to Milan? Or was that just another theft for Kara this episode?

3. I laughed my way through the Evil Editor Who Wants To Profit From Death scene. We got it, show, she's Evil, and yes, I get it, with so many Evil Plots happening right now she might not look as Evil in comparison if the show didn't go way of its way to remind us, not to mention that this show has never exactly been what we could call subtle, but still, there's Evil, and then there's this.

Also, given that the main point of buying Catco was to buy all that advertising space, not to buy the zine, why does she care so much about what's in the zine anyway? She has an entire other company to run.

4. Oh, no, Brainy and Nia! You can't have problems! You're too adorable!

5. Naturally after several episodes of Keeping Secrets Is a Bad Idea and Leads To Bad Things, J'onn and Nia.....decide to keep a secret. Nobody ever learns anything on this show.

6. That said, did I mention Sean Astin playing evil? Because Sean Astin was playing evil. I was half expecting him to pull a ring from his pocket and start twirling it, but I guess the episode already had enough over the top evil people as it was.

• Love 5

Lena and Kara, no!!!! While a small part of me chuckled at Kara playing right into Lena's hands re: Fort Summit shortly after advising Kelly not to be so trusting, I'm so sad knowing what Lena's doing. When all this comes out, it's gonna wreck Kara.

(And when that happens, under no circumstances do I want her being comforted by William Dey! Please, show, keep him shady and suspicious and far, far away from being a "bad boy" love interest for Kara.)

I will always be happy to see Sean Astin on my TV. Evil Sean Astin as a shapeshifting Martian with mind-control powers? YES. I will say, though, that it was so unexpected to have him appear on the show, that when we first saw the picture of him and Kelly, I thought, "Wait, is that Sean Astin? Did Kelly meet him at Comic-Con or something?" And then, when Malefic shapeshifted, I had the briefest moment where my mind went, "Oh my god, is Malefic masquerading as actual Sean Astin?? It's ON!!!!" lol, not quite.

Good scenes with J'onn and Nia, and nice workaround to not have to CGI all the green Martians in the dream scenes. The dreams were done really effectively, and I liked Nia throughout this plot: realizing how much the knowledge from the final dream would hurt J'onn but knowing he still had a right to know, then trying to comfort him and point out why he did what he did.

Nia and Brainy though, my heart! I'm glad Nia spoke up because that situation was clearly untenable and no one should have to put up with that much single-minded smothering affection, but I felt so bad for Brainy in his confusion (having thought this was what she wanted) and hurt (admitting he can't be anything other than what he is.) I'm glad they brought up the whole "can't operate below 100%" thing, because it at least gave kind of a reason for him being so stupidly oblivious these last couple of episodes. Hopefully they can mend things between them sooner rather than later! Sad Nia and Brainy make me sad.

Side note, does anyone know if we have word on when

Spoiler

the female Brainiac played by Meaghan Rath

is showing up? Anytime soon or not until after Crisis?

• Love 2

Does the team really need to know of J'onn's shame... Does it really add anything.. I say that knowing that when the secret comes out.. Ppl will be in their feelings.. But they already know he wants to hurt J'ONN and his new fam/friends and they know is power set so not sure knowing the secret changes anything... Can we just get on with whatever secret William dey has and be doneq

• Love 2

Hey, Sean Astin!  Always good seeing him, and he got to be evil to boot!  I do think it's funny that I will always think of Samwise, Rudy, and The Goonies first whenever I see him, but I imagine for a new generation of people, they're going to be all "Hey, its Bob from Stranger Things!"  Anyway, so Malefic cosplays as Samwise, manages to trick Kelly even though she knows about a shapeshifter being on the loose (to be fair to Kelly, she is new to this and she certainly is the only one that gets duped in this episode), and now has the power to control people's minds.  Oh, boy!  It does have the side effect that Kelly can automatically spot him though, which leads to both Kelly and James leaving town for a few days.

Also, it turns out that it was J'onn who wiped the memories from Malefic from both himself and M'yrnn, so I'm sure that will send him on a big guilt trip (not to mention hiding it from everyone else.  Dammit, J'onn!)  Cool seeing Carl Lumbly again, although the animated Justice League fan in me still gets a kick out of Martian Manhunter fathering John Stewart here (Malefic/Phil LeMarr.)

Ah, Kara!  You and your big heart is refreshing most of the time, but sometimes can be your downfall.  Lena totally knew how to use that and played poor Kara like a fiddle.  Lena has some legit gripes over all the secrets and lies, but her path towards revenge is not a good look for her (although Katie McGrath seems to be having fun pulling off the Morgana-style "smile to their faces and then quickly drop it to an evil glare when they turn around" looks again.)

Not surprise Brainy going full-Brainy has finally caused Nia to understandably snap.  I do hope they find a way to make this work, but as Brainy pretty much said, it will be something he needs to work on, and is programing even capable of that?

Continue to zone out during anything involving Catco.  Angela continues to be a caricature and basically this show's obvious vendetta against the worst of "modern journalism", and William Day is clearly a character I'm suppose to find fascinating, but just makes me go "You know, maybe Mon-El wasn't that bad after-all..."

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I would've thought Sean Astin was too good for this show...

He's currently playing Colonel Sanders.  This show is far from beneath him.

Still saying that Lena is being controlled by Hope.

Good to see Franklin back.

• LOL 1

I don't like Kara overcompensating with Lena and the show drawing a parallel between what James did for her and what she intended to do for her friend who's actually manipulating her. Something bad is gonna happen and Kara will have to share the blame.

I liked the J'onn's plot but that secret is going to blow up in his face. Poor Nia. Between a not-so-great boss, having to keep J'onn's secret and Brainy always being at 100% she must be so stressed out. Speaking of Brainia, this relationship has been on/off since last year. They were in a great place in the premiere but the writers waited one episode before introducing another conflict. It's only episode 3 and they appear to be broken up or on the verge of breaking up. I have no idea what they plan to do with this pairing.

Kelly and James are leaving town. I wonder if this means Alex will have a plot that is not based around a love interest and doing exposition at the DEO but I am not counting on it.

I don't want William to be a love interest. These people can't write a convincing enemies-to-lovers romance and the acting isn't helping. There's no subtlety. I don't want to see Kara be annoyed and attracted to William at the same time if there's no nuance in the writing/acting.

Andrea is too much but that's par of the course for this show. She doesn't bug yet.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

So Kara really flew around the world to get Lena all her favorite foods.

But couldn't put the dumplings order in for Alex. Terrible!

If Guardian ever showed up to save me, I may tell him to go home......I'll take my chances and wait for the police to arrive. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Its Sean Astin! Sean Astin playing an evil shape shifting mind controlling alien! Awesome! Always a pleasure to see him around. 

Look, Malefic has clearly crossed too many lines for me to really feel bad for him, and his vendetta against innocent people who just happen to be tight with J'onn is evil and all and he needs to be stopped but...did M'yrnn attend the same god awful "How to parent your kid with weird powers" parenting clinic that Elsa and Anna's parents from Frozen went to? I mean, maybe locking a little kid up all alone in some little room for years because he has weird powers, and already feels alone because he cant connect with the rest of the Martians wasnt the best way to handle the situation? That maybe this didnt do his sanity or control of his powers any favors? And then just erasing him? I can kind of get being pissed. Not justifying what he did or what he is doing, but there were some pretty big fuck ups here. I did love seeing Nia and J'onn have a plot together, even though these are now even more secrets between the group which are certainly going to come out soon. 

Speaking of not the smartest choices, maybe if an old friend pops out of nowhere with a kind of questionable story and wants access to your brain tech, and gets pissed when you give it to him fast enough, and you are dealing with an evil shape shifting alien running around, you could be a bit more suspicious? Ask a few "only you would know this" questions? Come on Kelly, you seem like a smart women, you should know better! I guess the script needed this to happen though, so here we are.

Oh no, dont fight Nia and Brainy! Your too cute to fight! I dont blame Nia for being annoyed, and am glad that she told Brainy the truth, I hope that they can find a compromise. How much can code change? 

Kara bending over backwards for Lena, knowing that Lena is just using her and is still plotting to do...whatever it is she is doing, just makes all of their scenes sad. I really hope that Hope (heh) is controlling or influencing her, or that she comes to her sense soon. Lena and Kara have such a nice friendship, and while I get why Lena feels betrayed, she didnt do it to hurt Lena, unlike Lena who is trying to hurt Kara. 

Oh my God show we get it, Andrea is evil! Why does she even have a name, why not just call her "Personification of Everything The Writers Hate About Modern Journalism" and get it over with? Every line she has this episode was just "muhahahah clicks clicks clicks! Sparkly death!" I mean, its pretty consistent with how this show deals with any issue (with the subtly of a sledgehammer) but Andrea is especially over the top. I mean, we arent quite at "lets give the anti alien guys tiki torches for no reason but to make sure the audience gets the point" levels of hilarious obviousness, but we`re getting close. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, we arent quite at "lets give the anti alien guys tiki torches for no reason but to make sure the audience gets the point" levels of hilarious obviousness, but we`re getting close. 

Over/ Under on the amount of episodes before we see her literally burning newspapers? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Nice to see Sean Astin here, but I think it's weird they didn't publicize his guest appearance.

James still getting the short end of the stick plotwise. ::sigh::

J'onn's subplot was the best one for me. Good to see M'yrnn/Lumbly again. And I not sure how they de-aged Harewood, but I thought it looked convincing.

Not liking Lena going supervillain at all.

I know why they did it, but it didn't make sense that Brainy has the image inducer(whatever you call it) on while in bed. Speaking of that - he's sleeping over already? Didn't they only just start kissing? It just seems like we skipped a few steps here.

I don't know what assassin killed that first assassin, but why didn't they send that person to assassinate first?

On 10/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, BaggythePanther said:

Also, I just realized they’ve gotten rid of the “My name is Kara Zor-el...” intro. I’m pretty sure they dropped it from the Flash too. I wonder why.

I don't miss it on either show. I don't think those intros have been necessary for a while now.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I doubt it'll last long, anyway. Four episodes, tops, and Kelly will be back. 

I'm thinking two.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:48 AM, Starry said:

I liked the J'onn's plot but that secret is going to blow up in his face. Poor Nia. Between a not-so-great boss, having to keep J'onn's secret and Brainy always being at 100% she must be so stressed out. Speaking of Brainia, this relationship has been on/off since last year. They were in a great place in the premiere but the writers waited one episode before introducing another conflict. It's only episode 3 and they appear to be broken up or on the verge of breaking up. I have no idea what they plan to do with this pairing.

I don't know why they write this couple so weirdly. The first two episodes their relationship was a comic relief subplot, and now this.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, tennisgurl said:

I mean, maybe locking a little kid up all alone in some little room for years because he has weird powers, and already feels alone because he cant connect with the rest of the Martians wasnt the best way to handle the situation?

That part was muddled for me. It wasn't really clear what My'rnn did to him?

Edited by Trini
why, typos, whyy??
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Trini said:

James still getting the short end of the stick plotwise. ::sigh::

If only our collective sighs would've made a difference between seasons one and two.. What a diff show this coulda been... Also he and Lena just broke up I'm guessing two months ago tops.. Why don't either of them mention the other??  

25 minutes ago, Trini said:

Not liking Lena going supervillain at all.

The part that bugs me the most is her rationalizing it all.. Yes folks kept a secret.. But I'm hard-pressed to remember when her knowing.. Woulda have been more beneficial than she already was.. And her not knowing was a negative... 

28 minutes ago, Trini said:

don't know why they write this couple so weirdly. The first two episodes their relationship was a comic relief subplot, and now this.

Maybe the performers aren't comfortable.. If that's the case.. That's on the writers for putting this relationship out there... When we coulda waited until brainy and Nia found counterparts that actually worked.. Cuz as it stands.. It plays like the way they treat Kevin and moose on riverdale... Archie/ Veronica  Jug and Betty can get all hot and bothered and damn near spark an orgy.. But Kevin gets a peck... Not a great look from  network and shared universe that has shown it can do better 

• Love 2

Cuz as it stands.. It plays like the way they treat Kevin and moose on riverdale... Archie/ Veronica  Jug and Betty can get all hot and bothered and damn near spark an orgy.. But Kevin gets a peck... Not a great look from  network and shared universe that has shown it can do better 

I get very annoyed with double standards, especially when other shows have done better, and I do think that Supergirl has shown some tendency to treat its minority couples in a tamer way. But I think the break up is just the show putting them through some temporary drama that will be resolved. I think the writers are fond of Nia and Brainy. 

• Love 2

If Guardian ever showed up to save me, I may tell him to go home......I'll take my chances and wait for the police to arrive. 

Does James have super powers now? Because when they got the address of Spider Girl at the DEO, Kara super-sped off and was there in a flash, and moments later, "Guardian" shows up too. How the hell did he get there so fast?

He's currently playing Colonel Sanders.  This show is far from beneath him.

He is also in a horrible, horrible teen-oriented sitcom on Netflix called No Good Nick. He's definitely making the rounds.

I just didn't buy the whole Kara couldn't fight her way out of that spiderweb lasso.

Why didn't Spiderwoman's powers work on James ?  She was firing blanks at him for some reason.
Her "powers" were kind of inconsistent ?  For example, how does having spider tattoos give you the ability to fire webbing ?  Where would the webbing come from exactly ?

On 10/20/2019 at 10:28 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Does the team really need to know of J'onn's shame... Does it really add anything.. I say that knowing that when the secret comes out.. Ppl will be in their feelings.. But they already know he wants to hurt J'ONN and his new fam/friends and they know is power set so not sure knowing the secret changes anything... Can we just get on with whatever secret William dey has and be doneq

I just hate those kind of secrets on shows, period. Either doing the climax or right before it, either the villian or the hero exposes the secret anyway. SV made me hate secrets and lies so much. It's okay to have secrets but television doesn't know what to do with secrets.

6 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

I just hate those kind of secrets on shows, period. Either doing the climax or right before it, either the villian or the hero exposes the secret anyway. SV made me hate secrets and lies so much. It's okay to have secrets but television doesn't know what to do with secrets.

I agree with you... Secrets almost always come out and do more damage than the offense... Everyone in their feelings about being lied to etc... But specifically in this situation... I can understand J'onn's shame and horror,  and with what the team already know.. Does everyone being privy to the specifics make a tactical difference... They know what malefic is tryna do.. Hurt/destroy  J'onn's new fam... That hasn't changed.. And the secret... I mean J'onn just found out himself.. He hasn't been harboring it for years and years 

• Love 2

You know what really would have been dramatic and unexpected? If the car would have exploded in the end.

Regarding William Day, could he possibly be a spy?

P.S. They drag Sean Astin in to this shit as well, didn't they?

Edited by Rushmoras
On 10/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, BaggythePanther said:

BTW, is the Monitor ever going to show up? I keep waiting for him to show up and ruin the mood. I find it funny he went out of his way to tell Barry and Oliver they’re going to die, when in the comics 

Hide contents

Kara was the character that literally died.

Spoiler

So did Barry.  And he stayed dead longer.

As a side note, which I've forgot to add, and now just remembered. Oh, so now the government confiscates Lex Luthor's assets. Yeah, seems reasonable, the man is "dead" and wont go super-villain on their asses. 😀

Edited by Rushmoras
On 10/21/2019 at 5:34 AM, BaggythePanther said:

Well, if he will, then its probably gonna be in episode 9, because that's when the Crisis on Infinite Earths starts.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, mxc90 said:

If I had a dollar (or a Euro) for every time Guardian winds up flat on his ass....

Also, is it just me or are the supervillains particularly lame this season?

And let me be the first to say it - there's still a lot of Eve Tessmacher in Hope...there's just too much emoting going on. Her hugging Lena was a dead give away. The whole thing is going to blow up in Lena's face, guaranteed.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

And let me be the first to say it - there's still a lot of Eve Tessmacher in Hope...there's just too much emoting going on. Her hugging Lena was a dead give away. The whole thing is going to blow up in Lena's face, guaranteed.

Yes, I noticed that Lena really seemed taken aback by that hug. She's become so hardened against ANY demonstration of emotion or affection that she no longer recognizes the real thing when she sees it, and she therefore doesn't know how to respond to it.

And incidentally, I'm not getting a totally "evil" vibe off Lena. I think that she really believes she's doing humanity a favor by reprogramming the species in a way that will eliminate our tendencies to selfishness, greed, hatred, violence, and above all, hypocrisy. Too bad she didn't see what happened when the Thinker tried something similar over on Earth-1.

But exactly what effect does she think her reprogramming humanity will have on a non-human like Kara? And how does she plan to use it to humiliate and hurt Kara the way she thinks Kara humiliated and hurt her?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And incidentally, I'm not getting a totally "evil" vibe off Lena. I think that she really believes she's doing humanity a favor by reprogramming the species in a way that will eliminate our tendencies to selfishness, greed, hatred, violence, and above all, hypocrisy. Too bad she didn't see what happened when the Thinker tried something similar over on Earth-1.

Well, villains generally think they are in the right. Her motives might be good, but I can't say the same for her actions.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Trini said:

Well, villains generally think they are in the right. Her motives might be good, but I can't say the same for her actions.

Oh, I'm not excusing her actions. I just meant that I understand her motivations and her intentions. Unlike Lex, she's not doing it for power or to conquer the world. She really believes that she's doing the world a favor. She has no quarrel with humanity in general. She just feels that Supergirl's failure to be honest and up-front with her is a symptom of what's wrong with humanity as a whole, and she wants to fix humanity so that she won't have to worry about anyone being betrayed ever again.

As I said, she might think twice about what she's trying to do if she knew what almost happened on Earth-1 when the Thinker tried something similar there.

Edited by legaleagle53
19 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

As I said, she might think twice about what she's trying to do if she knew what almost happened on Earth-1 when the Thinker tried something similar there.

She’d probably think he was misguided and that she could do things better. 

19 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She just feels that Supergirl's failure to be honest and up-front with her is a symptom of what's wrong with humanity as a whole, and she wants to fix humanity so that she won't have to worry about anyone being betrayed ever again.

What I find interesting about this is that Supergirl isn’t human. Lena’s “fix humanity” obsession started because of how she felt wronged by Kara. But Kara is an alien and Lena’s experiment won’t even work on her. I can’t tell if this is a character flaw (Lena still sees Kara as human) or a writing flaw.

10 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

What I find interesting about this is that Supergirl isn’t human. Lena’s “fix humanity” obsession started because of how she felt wronged by Kara. But Kara is an alien and Lena’s experiment won’t even work on her. I can’t tell if this is a character flaw (Lena still sees Kara as human) or a writing flaw.

If I remember correctly, Lena's speech to Hope a couple of episodes back was regarding humans and aliens, that they are all prone to conflict.

• Useful 1
On 10/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I'm not excusing her actions. I just meant that I understand her motivations and her intentions. Unlike Lex, she's not doing it for power or to conquer the world. She really believes that she's doing the world a favor.

Which most interpretations of Lex Luthor have him the same, including this one. Lex honestly (because he's insane and supremely arrogant) believes he's doing humanity a favor by taking out Superman, and whatever else he does. Of course, he justifies himself using logic no sane person would buy into for a second and it's obvious to the audience that he's full of it. Lena looks like she's going down the same road.

About time Nia just up and told Brainy that he's going way too far in his attempts at affection, though as usual Brainy didn't get the actual point. Brainy, it's not the fact that you go 100% in everything you do that's the problem, it's the fact that you don't know when to STOP and go far overboard, rather than switching gears to something else. I know it's a trope that smart guys have no social skills whatsoever but this is pushing it, Brainy REALLY should know better.

Edited by immortalfrieza

Lena is having the biggest over reaction ever to Kara not telling her about Supergirl. It’s ridiculous.

The William/Kara inevitable love story is lacking any subtlety. It’s atrocious and neither actor is selling it.

• Love 1