Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

The piece of shit from yesterday referred to the 84 year old man who was shot while attempting to save her life, as a dumb ass. I don't care what past trauma she's suffered. For that, she can go straight to hell. A difficult childhood does not entitle you to being an asshole. 

Yeah, that was beyond the pale.

• Love 5

The only blaring lesson learned from today's show is that it's best not to tell ginormous lies, if you're too dumb to keep your damn story straight.  I don't think I've ever seen a guest lie that badly before.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

The only blaring lesson learned from today's show is that it's best not to tell ginormous lies, if you're too dumb to keep your damn story straight.  I don't think I've ever seen a guest lie that badly before.

Yep! Like Judge Judy says, if you tell the truth you don't have to have a good memory.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

The piece of shit from yesterday referred to the 84 year old man who was shot while attempting to save her life, as a dumb ass. I don't care what past trauma she's suffered. For that, she can go straight to hell. A difficult childhood does not entitle you to being an asshole. 

Living on the streets ages you.  When she's in her 20s she'll look like she's in her 40s.  But I think she's a lost cause.  Even Phil thought so.

1 minute ago, Pondlass1 said:

Living on the streets ages you.  When she's in her 20s she'll look like she's in her 40s.  But I think she's a lost cause.  Even Phil thought so.

Personally, that girl was already only two or three months from being 18. If I had been her parent, I wouldn't have bothered to bring her on Dr Phil. She thinks she's been grown up since she was 11 years old and now she actually is almost grown up (physiologically, anyway); let her suffer the consequences of her life choices. I don't understand why they would want to have to support someone who's decided now that they want to go to school. That bitch is 7 years behind! If she'd listened to what her parents were telling her to do, she'd be just about to complete school and could go do whatever she wants with her life from there. Plus, I can't imagine she's got the intellect required to relatively quickly and easily study for the GED. 

12 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Oh, we finally got to watch this episode. That was hilarious watching her squirm. My God! That was some quality entertainment!

• Love 2

I hate when dr Phil praises the person who wrote into the show to get a person help , but gets mad at the guests in the situation for not contacting him first . Why does he think that just because they didn't write in to  Dr Phil show , that they didn't want help ? People who have issues in life don't HAVE to go to him . There's plenty of other people in this world who can help these people who won't cut them off 10 minutes into the conversation to promote robins plastic face 

• Love 2
On 10/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, farmgal4 said:

What was the excuse again? Sharon and Jenny happened to be together so that's why she called Jenny to speak to Sharon. Ha!

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 6:18 PM, Gam2 said:

The follow up that I’d most like to see is the original Dr. Phil family. Marty, Erin, Alex and Kathryn. What a bunch of f-ups especially Alex. How many out-of-wedlock children did she end up having? How many did Kathryn end up having? Are Marty and Erin still together? Is Alex still using drugs? Guess that truck Phil gave her didn’t change her at all.

I can't place this show....what was the subject?

2 minutes ago, Monie said:

I can't place this show....what was the subject?

Alexandra was pregnant at 13 or 15 years old or something. Eventually, she got into drugs and popped out two or three more children with random guys. The last that I knew, custody of her children was with her parents, and her sister Kathryn had started down a similar road.

Random thought on this Monday morning - I wonder how many handkerchiefs with the Dr. Phil logo are ordered at any one time?  Surely they don't grab them back from the criers after the show, wash them, iron them, and hand them out to the next despondent guest.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Random thought on this Monday morning - I wonder how many handkerchiefs with the Dr. Phil logo are ordered at any one time?  Surely they don't grab them back from the criers after the show, wash them, iron them, and hand them out to the next despondent guest.

LOL LOL!!!  They will be very valuable one day! The guest could sell them on Ebay!   wink wink....

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 8:18 PM, Gam2 said:

The follow up that I’d most like to see is the original Dr. Phil family. Marty, Erin, Alex and Kathryn. What a bunch of f-ups especially Alex. How many out-of-wedlock children did she end up having? How many did Kathryn end up having? Are Marty and Erin still together? Is Alex still using drugs? Guess that truck Phil gave her didn’t change her at all.

There are some updates on this family around the web, Topix has a forum, and they seem to be doing well. I would be more interested in the 2nd Dr. Phil Family, Mormon Stacy. They seemed to drop off the face of the earth.

http://www.topix.com/forum/tv/dr-phil/T1LJQJHA3GSCIQ6MU/dr-phil-family-the-trouble-with-alexandra/p126

• Love 1

I wish Dr. Phil would do more follow up shows or even a short sequence or catch up chat with someone (like they do on Intervention).  I really wonder how many success stories there are.  Despite the dire dilemmas it all just ends with sending someone off to a dual diagnosis centre.  What happens to them?  Did it work?

The dual diagnosis centre must be jam packed with Dr. Phil guests.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2017 at 5:18 PM, Gam2 said:

everything Phil did for that family and they totally went off the rails...didn't he send the dad to I think Germany to visit relatives and get some kind of closure in his life and Phil sent the older daughter to a tropical paradise to to study oceanography

11 minutes ago, sue450 said:

everything Phil did for that family and they totally went off the rails...didn't he send the dad to I think Germany to visit relatives and get some kind of closure in his life and Phil sent the older daughter to a tropical paradise to to study oceanography

And footed the bill for plastic surgery for the mom.

Just watched the show about Laura the hoarding stepmom who had taken over the house.  Phil surprised me on this one.  I thought for sure he would side with the mom who had a daughter by the owner of the house but Phil really got testy with the woman.  As much as I don't like him, I have to give him credit for paying to move the mom and daughter into another place so the owner of the house could get his home back so he can make it livable again.  Nice job, Phil.  For once you are using your money to actually help people instead of trying to make them wrinkle-free.  

• Love 3

He got one of his employees to call animal control to rescue the woman's animals (she had 80 or so, I think).  He didn't offer any therapy that I can recall, but he did seem very angry with the woman so maybe he didn't feel she deserved it.  I think the only reason he paid to move her and her daughter was because the owner didn't seem able to get her out on his own.  He was a drinker and Phil just told him he better straighten up.

58 minutes ago, marionette said:

He got one of his employees to call animal control to rescue the woman's animals (she had 80 or so, I think).  He didn't offer any therapy that I can recall, but he did seem very angry with the woman so maybe he didn't feel she deserved it.  I think the only reason he paid to move her and her daughter was because the owner didn't seem able to get her out on his own.  He was a drinker and Phil just told him he better straighten up.

You could really tell that she had pissed off a man who loves dogs so much that he brings his to work with him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, marionette said:

That lady will keep hoarding until she figures out why she's doing it. Usually it's caused by mental health issues and traumatic events in the hoarder's life. Getting mad at people like her won't help and I'm sure she's received anger from plenty of others. I've always hated the way he handles that subject. It's not like people up and decide that their life's goal is to become a hoarder. He's always either gotten mad at, kind of mocked or made light/fun of people who struggle with it. It's always made me kinda mad with the way he tries to get treatment for people with other issues. I shouldn't be surprised though since he hasn't seemed to care about his guests mental heath in years.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

That lady will keep hoarding until she figures out why she's doing it. Usually it's caused by mental health issues and traumatic events in the hoarder's life. Getting mad at people like her won't help and I'm sure she's received anger from plenty of others. I've always hated the way he handles that subject. It's not like people up and decide that their life's goal is to become a hoarder. He's always either gotten mad at, kind of mocked or made light/fun of people who struggle with it. It's always made me kinda mad with the way he tries to get treatment for people with other issues. I shouldn't be surprised though since he hasn't seemed to care about his guests mental heath in years.

From Dr Weil when asked if hoarding can be cured:

Hoarding runs in some families. ... In some cases, cognitive behavioral therapy may change the hoarding behavior, and occasionally, medication is useful, particularly the SSRI antidepressants. These drugs can work well for obsessive compulsive disorder, but based on what I've read, they're not as effective for hoarding.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/mental-health/can-you-cure-hoarding/

Of course he was furious with that woman! I was too! She treated her husband, his daughter and the baby horribly!  A therapist can only do so much.  They are not miracle workers.  They light the way but cannot make anyone do what is necessary to change.  It is up to each individual. There is much more going on with her aside from hoarding.  He isn't going to waste his resources on a woman who cannot be helped.  As for the husband drinking?  He can stop on his own, many do.   He is renting her a place for 90 days and paying all expenses.   That is a huge gift!  

I work in dog rescue; her abuse infuriated me!  I applaud him for getting the animals out of their quickly.   

• Love 3

Brooke looks like a blow-up doll, and is definitely looking for someone to support her and her kids so she can be a  “Stay-at-home mom”.

Bree sound and acts more like a 14-year old than a 19-year old. 

Dad is typical midlife crisis male thinking with the organ below his waist. 

Losers all around. 

• Love 3

I stopped watching the episode after 15 minutes.  I didn't really like any of them, but it was obvious the step mom was taking advantage of everyone else and had no intention to stop.

As for Dr. Phil getting her an apartment that he would pay for for three months, that was actually the best way to get that woman out of the house, if she actually left.  Something tells me that he was simply getting the woman out of the house long enough that she couldn't claim to be a tenant at baby daddy's house, and the good doctor would wash his hands of her after the three months was up.  Step mom might be happy enough to have a place of her own that someone else was paying for that she didn't realize that after three months she would then be required to pay her own way or go through the eviction process with a landlord who wasn't the father of one of her children.

I expect that after the three months are up and the eviction process has started, step mom will start hounding baby daddy again trying to move in or at least have him start paying the rent on the apartment.  No matter what, she'll start hoarding again.

We are in our 70s.  We chose to downsize into a smaller home several years ago, and did a systematic (one-month overlap) move from the old place to a new place.  We didn't start out with 1/3 of the stuff that was in that house, and we still asked ourselves with every load, "Where did we get all this stuff, and where are we going to put what we're keeping in the new place?"  

Even as two tidy people with a high level of motivation and a deadline, we found the move to be a challenge.  A hoarder going from a big house to an apartment is not going to clean out that house until someone calls a dump truck.  I predict she'll fill the new place full of junk before anything moves out of the old place.  In addition to being a hoarder, she must be incredibly lazy if she's home all day and not even picking up the place.

• Love 2

I have found that moving is the one thing that will get most people to decide what to keep and what to take.  Once you have to pick everything up, wrap it up, box it up, and then pick it up and pack it into your moving van, with the prospect of doing it all again backwards in the new place...  Well, suddenly those vases that you saved because years ago some unremembered boyfriend sent you flowers isn't all that important anymore.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Zahdii said:

I have found that moving is the one thing that will get most people to decide what to keep and what to take.  Once you have to pick everything up, wrap it up, box it up, and then pick it up and pack it into your moving van, with the prospect of doing it all again backwards in the new place...  Well, suddenly those vases that you saved because years ago some unremembered boyfriend sent you flowers isn't all that important anymore.

This is true for ordinary people. Hoarders are not ordinary people. A hoarder will try to take it all with them and become very irate, uncooperative, and even potentially violent when they discover they cannot. We've all become hoarders to some degree because we're told you need to buy things to be/feel whole. Of course, when you buy those things, you discover that the feeling of being whole is fleeting. Personally, if I didn't have to use technology to do my work, I would give up everything except for my mobile phone - unless I found that it was no longer as useful. I'd be happy to be rid of it, too, to be honest. Go back to a simple landline and nobody able to reach me when I'm out? Where do I sign up?

• Love 2

I would love a Update on Marty and wanna be Robin. Gosh the oldest had three kids last I checked.

I woke up to Michelle and Wade and turned the channel. I couldn't listen to that again. I'm super surprised that she stayed. He needed much more help than he could accept. 

1 minute ago, FairyDusted said:

I would love a Update on Marty and wanna be Robin. Gosh the oldest had three kids last I checked.

I woke up to Michelle and Wade and turned the channel. I couldn't listen to that again. I'm super surprised that she stayed. He needed much more help than he could accept. 

Someone posted a link to a Topix discussion of Marty, Alexandra, Kathryn, and whatever the mother's name is. Apparently, Alexandra ended up popping out 5 kids with various guys. It sounds like Marty and his wife have custody of only three of them, with the others either being in foster care or possibly adopted (which one is unclear).

• Love 1

Hoarding mom and dad have been divorced for years. Why does she not work? How can she say that raising a 16 year old is the reason? The kid is at school all day! I get that couples make decisions when they are married about someone being home when the kids are little. But things change, kids grow, parents get divorced. That's why IMO everyone needs job skills so that they can support themselves. Otherwise you end up living with  your ex, hoarding trash LOL

As far as Brooke, the 24 year old with two small kids, she is just looking for someone to support her. I give it a year. Let's hope they don't have a baby. If they do, dad will in his 70s when the kid graduates from HS. Crazy!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Hoarding mom and dad have been divorced for years. Why does she not work? How can she say that raising a 16 year old is the reason? The kid is at school all day! I get that couples make decisions when they are married about someone being home when the kids are little. But things change, kids grow, parents get divorced. That's why IMO everyone needs job skills so that they can support themselves. Otherwise you end up living with  your ex, hoarding trash LOL

As far as Brooke, the 24 year old with two small kids, she is just looking for someone to support her. I give it a year. Let's hope they don't have a baby. If they do, dad will in his 70s when the kid graduates from HS. Crazy!

So I missed the beginning of this ep...is the older guy that owns the house the dad of the little kid from the blonde chick??

1 minute ago, Monie said:

So I missed the beginning of this ep...is the older guy that owns the house the dad of the little kid from the blonde chick??

Two different shows. Hoarding mom was divorced from the dad who lived in the garage. They had a kid together and he had a daughter from another marriage (with a baby) and they all live together is a horded dysfunctional mess. 

The other show was about a 53 year old who wants to marry a 24 year old. He has been divorced twice and his daughter by another marriage is 19 and doesn't approve and says she's a gold digger. The 24 year old has 2 little kids from another relationship that are living with them. 

7 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Two different shows. Hoarding mom was divorced from the dad who lived in the garage. They had a kid together and he had a daughter from another marriage (with a baby) and they all live together is a horded dysfunctional mess. 

The other show was about a 53 year old who wants to marry a 24 year old. He has been divorced twice and his daughter by another marriage is 19 and doesn't approve and says she's a gold digger. The 24 year old has 2 little kids from another relationship that are living with them. 

Thanks for straightening me out with the info ;o)  Boy was I confused...Dr. Phil is getting to be like one big Soap Opera!

Edited by Monie

I just went back and read that link about Michelle and Wade. What got me was about the dog Honor trying to climb in the casket. That was incredibly sad to me. Michelle already had 2 kids as he did plus they had 2 sets of twins so 8 kids. WOW!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I just went back and read that link about Michelle and Wade. What got me was about the dog Honor trying to climb in the casket. That was incredibly sad to me. Michelle already had 2 kids as he did plus they had 2 sets of twins so 8 kids. WOW!

Yea...I saw this show on the other day and I just couldn't bring myself to watch it again....it is so sad. Wade was one sick individual!

• Love 1

The daughter of the 53 year old man who was about to marry the bimbo had very unusual mouth movements when she spoke.  It both fascinated and repelled me.  Anyone notice that? 

I doubt the hoarder will be able to move and her husband is not strong enough to insist she leave.  I don't think anything will change.  

Even if she was able to set up an apartment she would be back everyday and pretend to be cleaning up. Something she will never do.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, morriss said:

Watched the 53 year old man and the 24 year old woman show-   You know, once you become rich,  you automatically become handsome.....

I actually think he is fairly handsome.....but... he ain't no Charlie Hunnam ;o)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, morriss said:

Watched the 53 year old man and the 24 year old woman show-   You know, once you become rich,  you automatically become handsome.....

He is a good looking man but I am shocked at how stupid he is.  I missed how he made his money but I have a hard time believing a keen mind was responsible.  Dr Phil was disgusted with all 3 of them.  He didn't offer counseling to the happy couple because he knew damn well nothing was going to stop the wedding or open his eyes.  I think the guy wanted him to set that up because he said he was willing to do premarital counseling but Phil didn't bite.  He was not going to squander his resources.  I wonder if his friends after seeing this will say anything to him.  I am not sure he has anyone close enough to him, though. 

I have liked a couple of the shows this season.  I watch about 30% of them, maybe.  I skip those on addiction and check out the unruly children and delete if it looks routine.  Love the catfish stories, of course. 

The hoarder was very interesting.  It was fascinating to see her dodge his questions.  I would love to hear a follow up on that and the May/September marriage.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, wings707 said:

He is a good looking man but I am shocked at how stupid he is.  I missed how he made his money but I have a hard time believing a keen mind was responsible.  Dr Phil was disgusted with all 3 of them.  He didn't offer counseling to the happy couple because he knew damn well nothing was going to stop the wedding or open his eyes.  I think the guy wanted him to set that up because he said he was willing to do premarital counseling but Phil didn't bite.  He was not going to squander his resources.  I wonder if his friends after seeing this will say anything to him.  I am not sure he has anyone close enough to him, though. 

I have liked a couple of the shows this season.  I watch about 30% of them, maybe.  I skip those on addiction and check out the unruly children and delete if it looks routine.  Love the catfish stories, of course. 

The hoarder was very interesting.  It was fascinating to see her dodge his questions.  I would love to hear a follow up on that and the May/September marriage.   

The bride to be did not seem to swift in the intelligence department.... I truly hope she is not a gold digger.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Monie said:

The bride to be did not seem to swift in the intelligence department.... I truly hope she is not a gold digger.

I don't know if she was what we normally think of as a gold digger, looking for big bucks, but she is a 24 year old woman who has 2 kids to raise, and doesn't seem overly-endowed with grey matter.  I think she was just looking for someone who could take care of her and her kids in a non-poverty state so she didn't need to try to herself.  Fifty-three year old was her soft spot to fall.  And he was happy to get a pretty young thing in his bed.  So they were both happy with the exchange.  It won't last for ever, and he'll be looking for #4 and she'll be looking for a younger paycheck.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Monie said:

Oh she most certainly is!  She wants a father for her children and someone to take care of her!!   Absolutely.  She is a stay at home mom with no income.  That says it all.   They will crash and burn very quickly.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Oh she most certainly is!  She wants a father for her children and someone to take care of her!!   Absolutely.  She is a stay at home mom with no income.  That says it all.   They will crash and burn very quickly.  

this kinda sounds like the "situation my daughter is in...she is dating a guy currently who has 2 little girls. My daughter is getting her master's degree in animal biology and she is 25 years old and the guy just turned 27 and the mother of the little girls is a big old druggie and not really in the kids life. But anyway the boyfriends sister made comment to my daughter one day that "he really needs help with his daughters".....oh my gosh..this sent me into a a frenzy. Here my kid is getting an education to work with animals and be able to travel and it scares me to death she will graduate and settle down w/ this guy and raise his kids!  I sound like a jerk, but there is nothing I can do about it! ...ok I'm done ranting ;o)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Monie said:

this kinda sounds like the "situation my daughter is in...she is dating a guy currently who has 2 little girls. My daughter is getting her master's degree in animal biology and she is 25 years old and the guy just turned 27 and the mother of the little girls is a big old druggie and not really in the kids life. But anyway the boyfriends sister made comment to my daughter one day that "he really needs help with his daughters".....oh my gosh..this sent me into a a frenzy. Here my kid is getting an education to work with animals and be able to travel and it scares me to death she will graduate and settle down w/ this guy and raise his kids!  I sound like a jerk, but there is nothing I can do about it! ...ok I'm done ranting ;o)

I am with you all the way on this one!  She will not listen to you, most likely.  Are you close with any of her friends enough to ask them what they think of this?  It may get them taking a closer look at her situation and warn her.  I remember being 25, you are excited about life and feel you can do anything.  Including taking on kids.  Best advice would be, live together so you get a feel for what your life would look like.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Monie said:

But anyway the boyfriends sister made comment to my daughter one day that "he really needs help with his daughters"....

How did your daughter react to that?   

I know how he can get help.  Get a job and pay someone to take care of them while you work.  What kind of a job does he have?