Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

This suicide-girlfriend story is painful. None of these people are terribly sympathetic, IMO. I know the parents are grieving and the boyfriend is a douchebag, but they seem to be relieving their deceased daughter of ALL responsibility in 1) picking this dude, and 2) staying with this dude, and 3) every other decision she made in her life, up to and including hanging herself. They wanted to blame it ALL on douchebag boyfriend, and it's not entirely his fault.

• Love 9

We watched the suicide-girlfriend episode last night. Sad all around. I don't understand why people who grew up in what otherwise seems to be a normal, loving home choose to put up with abuse from their romantic partners. That alone would make me feel I had utterly failed my child while raising them. Personally, the way the boyfriend reacted to everything, I am surprised the police haven't decided to investigate it as a murder instead of "suicide; case closed". His reaction to her suicide is so incredibly emotionless and inhuman that I can't help but think that he was either responsible for her death or involved in it. I mean, why would you argue over such stupid things like a mixer, anyway? Most people would let the parents take basically anything they wanted that they reasonably believed was hers. You can get a nice Kitchenaid stand mixer for $200 to $300 dollars. Just everything that asshole has done (and the things he failed to do - like offer condolences) shows that he didn't care one whit about that girl.

• Love 4

I saw the recent episode of the teenage girl who quit school (after failing sixth grade 3 times), hates her mother and spends her time smoking and going to the skate park.  I understand that the mother had mental issues, but I thought Dr. Phil was too lenient on the teen.  Who was the talk show host that used to send unruly, entitled brats to a boot camp?  That's what Dr. Phil needed to do with this girl.  Have her go to a boot camp where a big, angry Marine yells at her and teaches her how to respect others.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

I saw the recent episode of the teenage girl who quit school (after failing sixth grade 3 times), hates her mother and spends her time smoking and going to the skate park.  I understand that the mother had mental issues, but I thought Dr. Phil was too lenient on the teen.  Who was the talk show host that used to send unruly, entitled brats to a boot camp?  That's what Dr. Phil needed to do with this girl.  Have her go to a boot camp where a big, angry Marine yells at her and teaches her how to respect others.

We haven't watched this episode, yet. I'm actually kind of dreading it. I react too emotionally to stupid people like that teen-aged girl - and not in a good way. I suppose I should work on my empathy...

• Love 2

The teen girl was annoying as fuck, but what really cheesed MY potatoes was how Dr. Phil let the in-laws go on and on blaming the mom for all the problems, when it was obvious to me that BOTH those shitty parents shared equal responsibility. I was waiting the whole episode for Dr. Phil to be like "actually, your son also did a crap job raising this kid," but no, instead Dr. Phil gets the whole audience to applaud the in-laws for being such amazing people and loving their granddaughter. Barf.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, MrSmith said:

@ClareWalks Well, that is disappointing that he handled it that way. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if we should all just stop watching him in order to get him off TV (and off his high horse). Of course, there's no guarantee about getting him off his high horse.

I know, it's such a guilty pleasure-slash-hate watch, this show. Every time I watch it I'm like "why am I wasting my life on this?" 

• Love 6

Phil had another drunk mess on today, which got me a little exasperated after last weeks episode with that woman Treva.   I got a little less annoyed after hearing Phil tell today's guest that he grew up with a violent alcoholic father, so I have a bit more empathy for the repeated topic.  I guess since DP has first hand knowledge of what it's like in that kind of environment, he wants to help as many as he can not to have to endure the stress, guilt, fear, abuse, etc. of that life.

I've never read any of DP's books - does anyone know if his father ever got help or did he have a tragic end?

Edited by patty1h
spelling
  • Love 4

I understand your thoughts but if he can save one family, he will, based on his experience with his dad. I agree that this family should have done this years ago but they apparently thought that 3 rehabs would have done the trick. Obviously not. I've never been in that position so it's hard to say what I'd do but I certainly would not let her around my children, bail her out of jail or pay any of her bills. This was really sad and I doubt that she'll stick with this rehab or whatever it is. She wants to drink, denies that she's an alcoholic and will continue to do what she wants. 

• Love 3

Well, we ended up watching the episode with the teen girl who dropped out of school somewhere between 4th and 9th grades (her parents were really unclear on this point). I don't really remember what Phil said to them or what the girl's grandparents' position was. What I do remember is that the whole thing comes down to the fact that her parents haven't imposed any discipline or consequences on this girl for her wrong choices. Her grandparents haven't helped, even though they think themselves blameless, because they chose to interdict in her upbringing. She's obviously figured out she can play the three parties (mom, dad, grandparents) against each other. In some ways, I actually feel kind of bad for this kid. She's eventually going to mature and realize the disservice everyone in her life has done to her by failing to enforce the rules, and she's going to spend most of the rest of her life both trying to recover from it and being tremendously angry about it.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:16 PM, Gam2 said:

I understand your thoughts but if he can save one family, he will, based on his experience with his dad. I agree that this family should have done this years ago but they apparently thought that 3 rehabs would have done the trick. Obviously not. I've never been in that position so it's hard to say what I'd do but I certainly would not let her around my children, bail her out of jail or pay any of her bills. This was really sad and I doubt that she'll stick with this rehab or whatever it is. She wants to drink, denies that she's an alcoholic and will continue to do what she wants. 

I missed so much of this episode but did they say where she was getting the money for all the booze she was drinking?  They would show her falling down drunk, so it's hard for me to believe she could hold down a job.

To my knowledge, they never addressed where she got her money for booze. I wondered about that the entire show but they never said how she supported herself after the divorce. I'd also like to know the answer to this question. 

• Love 2

Not gonna lie, I love the catfish shows.  I love watching the victim crumble under the weight of their naivete.  This woman was as stubborn and dim as all of the past guests.  They get blinded by the sweet talk and promises and let their bank accounts get drained.  That part always mystified me - going broke for someone halfway across the world.  But I bet if a family member gave her a bunch of BS stories while asking for random loans, this woman would put her foot down.  She keeps saying that she wants people to leave her alone... do that and let her deal with the aftermath.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

Not gonna lie, I love the catfish shows.  I love watching the victim crumble under the weight of their naivete.  This woman was as stubborn and dim as all of the past guests.  They get blinded by the sweet talk and promises and let their bank accounts get drained.  That part always mystified me - going broke for someone halfway across the world.  But I bet if a family member gave her a bunch of BS stories while asking for random loans, this woman would put her foot down.  She keeps saying that she wants people to leave her alone... do that and let her deal with the aftermath.

We watched this episode yesterday evening. Amazing how stupid people can be. I'm amazed at how committed her family and friends were to helping her. I'd have provided as much proof as I could stand to find and then let her go broke on her own stubbornness and stupidity.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

I love these too!  I just can't believe in 2017 people still get sucked in by these scammers. Good looking lonely heart, "stuck" in a foreign country without a way to get home, and asking for money, despite only knowing I existed for a few weeks?  Sure!  Let me sell my house & wire you the proceeds!  I know it is smug, self-righteous and may incite wrath, but I can honestly say I could never be a victim of one of these cat fishing lies, even if I am old and lonely.  How can I be so sure?  I am a card carrying member of the Grammar Police.  One line with incorrect spelling or awkward phrasing would cause me to shut down any further communication, block the sender and log off my computer (and I would never use on online dating service either, so there's that).

• Love 7

Finally a good show in this new season!  I love the catfish stories, too!  It stuns me that people are still getting sucked in.  No, not sucked in, they jump in eagerly!  No sympathy from me.  This has been televised everywhere.  If you live under a rock, listen to those around you.  If everyone is saying this is a scam, believe them!  Jesus. 

I skip shows on addiction so that means I have very few to watch.  lol  

• Love 4

I don't think the woman actually believed it  - bet you the catfisher was able to convince her that he is totally in love with her (honey, sweetie, baby) and that her family and Dr Phil are just jealous of their true love.  According to the show, he had been able to do that once before and she believed him.

And why doesn't the fact that he needed to pay his workers in Itunes Cards (wtf) raise a huge red flag? Has she ever been paid for work in Itune cards?

• Love 4

I also love the catfish shows as I am just in disbelief the entire time.  Yesterday there was a case on Judge Judy in which a man who was being catfished stole his roomates' rent money to send to her.  Dr. Phil's producers need to get him stat for this show.  

Today's Dr. Phil show was both sad and a warning about obsessive behaviors.  A 19 year old girl was obsessed with her sometimes boyfriend.  He encouraged it at times and rebuffed it at other times-to the point of getting a no-contact order.  However, the girl's mother was hesitant to parent the girl as the girl had been molested at a sleep-over when she was eight.  So, when the girl asked for the car, money, etc., the mother gave it to her.  Of course, neither of these young people seemed to have jobs although the boy was still in school.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Finally a good show in this new season!  I love the catfish stories, too!  It stuns me that people are still getting sucked in.  No, not sucked in, they jump in eagerly!  No sympathy from me.  This has been televised everywhere.  If you live under a rock, listen to those around you.  If everyone is saying this is a scam, believe them!  Jesus. 

Yet again, Mr. AZC and I looked at each other and said, "Promise you won't do that if something happens to me."

• Love 3

I thought the boy was worse than the girl in today's show, to be honest. Yes, the girl is awful and made a ton of mistakes, but the guy TOTALLY led her on, continually, and he violated the restraining order that *he wanted.* His stupid mother seemed to not blame him for any of it, either, which go figure.

• Love 5

I LOVE the catfish stories! I'm heartless when it comes to these foolish morons. It's sad in a way that they could be donating their money to worthy charities but their low self esteem makes them believe in some stupid fantasy. Lots of rich scammers in Nigeria. 

I have no problem laughing at these gullible idiots.

• Love 3

Oof, today's show with the abusive fiance was painful. That woman was terrified of him, clearly had been pumped up to confront him (as you can see in the pre-taped interviews) but changed her mind with him sitting there, answering questions meant for her. Dr Phil: "Did he hit you?" [she cowers silently in fear] Asshole: "No." They are beyond help. Her self-esteem is totally rock bottom and nothing Dr. Phil said clicked with her at all. Meanwhile, the guy had that syndrome we see frequently nowadays (I won't name names), where an older man thinks he is a friggin' expert on everything with the best brain ever and uses this obvious genius to condescend to everyone around him. "I'm trying to teach her how to behave around men! I'm trying to teach her how to have self-esteem, but she's naive and stupid, so." UGH. HATED this motherfucker. 

• Love 5

I had just posted a story on Facebook about catfishing Nigerian men, LOL, and a friend chimed in that she had not one....not two....but three friends who fell for this type of thing. One of them sending the guy $21,000! 

If you don’t know how to use Google, or an online background check, you don’t belong on a computer.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2017 at 7:30 PM, AZChristian said:

Yet again, Mr. AZC and I looked at each other and said, "Promise you won't do that if something happens to me."

I told Mr poetic that I am too cheap to be catfished. No one but me gets my money. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 7

These Nigerians must just laugh and laugh all the way to the bank.  What fools we must seem.

If I remember correctly this latest catfish guy was supposedly in Greece?  So why didn't she just book a flight to Greece?  Not exactly a third world country.  I've been there for a vacation.  It's loaded with tourists. 

I honestly think deep down inside these people know the truth but are addicted to the 'love you, baby" texts just as a drug addict is addicted to drugs.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

These Nigerians must just laugh and laugh all the way to the bank.  What fools we must seem.

If I remember correctly this latest catfish guy was supposedly in Greece?  So why didn't she just book a flight to Greece?  Not exactly a third world country.  I've been there for a vacation.  It's loaded with tourists. 

I honestly think deep down inside these people know the truth but are addicted to the 'love you, baby" texts just as a drug addict is addicted to drugs.  

This is definitely a plausible theory. I would not be surprised to discover that is the truth.

• Love 3

If you want a laugh and have a gmail account, check out your spam folder. Mine is full of people with bad grammar waiting to deposit millions in my account. Here's a doozy:

My Dear, I got your message but i dont blame you but Note is a pleasure to meet you as a friend and God's  sent person i can use to reach the needed poor children around your location and now i have considered you as the person I can use to reach the needed children around your Location since you have already known my Mind and about humanity and charity I believe together we can work for good by helping the poor children and less privileged with this fund, Note that i can't involved myself as a deceiver because am a military man also a Christian,

Then i will Found any delivery company around to deposit this luggage box with a cheque $2.7 million USD,with your information's which i have here now and there will contact you once i made the deposit and Note that the company will continue this delivery in your favor as soon as possible,

And now you will promise me that you are not going to disappoint me and the poor motherless or squander this fund because I'm not going to send this fund to a person who will squander it  just like that in terms of helping the poor while squandering the fund just like that, So i need your answer before i continue this arrangement with you because i hate disappointment and cheater who didn't know that poor peoples needs help thank you and am waiting to hear from you immediately and attachment is ID CARD,

God bless you as i urgently wait for your Response
SIR PETER DEVLIN
gen.sirpeterdevlin@yahoo.com

LOL WHAT?!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

If you're talking about the one from this week, the guy was supposedly in Egypt.  She bought him an iPhone but he told her that the internet was spotty and that's why they weren't able to FaceTime or talk.  Dr. Phil debunked that when he had one of his correspondents in Egypt who Facetimed him on-air with no issues at all.  At the end of the episode the lady claimed she believed Dr. Phil and that she was done with "John Crush" but I doubt it.  If she's that dumb, honestly she deserves what she gets.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

If you want a laugh and have a gmail account, check out your spam folder. Mine is full of people with bad grammar waiting to deposit millions in my account. Here's a doozy:

My Dear, I got your message but i dont blame you but Note is a pleasure to meet you as a friend and God's  sent person i can use to reach the needed poor children around your location and now i have considered you as the person I can use to reach the needed children around your Location since you have already known my Mind and about humanity and charity I believe together we can work for good by helping the poor children and less privileged with this fund, Note that i can't involved myself as a deceiver because am a military man also a Christian,

Then i will Found any delivery company around to deposit this luggage box with a cheque $2.7 million USD,with your information's which i have here now and there will contact you once i made the deposit and Note that the company will continue this delivery in your favor as soon as possible,

And now you will promise me that you are not going to disappoint me and the poor motherless or squander this fund because I'm not going to send this fund to a person who will squander it  just like that in terms of helping the poor while squandering the fund just like that, So i need your answer before i continue this arrangement with you because i hate disappointment and cheater who didn't know that poor peoples needs help thank you and am waiting to hear from you immediately and attachment is ID CARD,

SIR PETER DEVLIN

LOL WHAT?!

World's longest sentence!

• Love 1

But it's written with such emotion, such angst.....

I've never sent money overseas.  Could someone help me with getting my paycheck to him? 

I want to help the world too.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:31 AM, poeticlicensed said:

SIR PETER DEVLIN

LOL WHAT?!

And you doubt this, why, exactly?

• Love 2

Catfish stories are like the train wreck you just can't look away from. It does make me sad to think some people are so lonely that instead of reaching out to real life people they reach out to Virtual people. Yep I'm with you guys I'm way too cheap to give anybody my money. Just watched the drug addicted Mom. Sorry Shil, yes dad is a dick, but mom's addiction is on her.

Edited by jacksgirl

The two girls from yesterday....

The mother needs to be slapped upside the head.  It's no shock her girls are out of control when she's laughing at everything they do.  And the father is clearly a ball of rage who is one step away from backhanding someone into a wall.

I'm always shocked by parents who have no idea why their kids are out of control yet are slinging insults at them every time they speak.

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 7

Re: the out of control teens, I found myself wondering why the parents had so many kids (four) since they are clearly TERRIBLE at raising children. And their youngest has autism, that poor kid. A special-needs child needs particularly attentive parents, and these ain't it.

• Love 2

I missed today's follow up on those two sisters who smoke dope and are so disrespectful to their parents. Not that the parents are due any respect considering their parenting failures. Can someone give me an update on them? Thanks!

I've been meaning to comment on the commercials with Robin and Phil in the audience telling people how to get tickets to his show. She's so much prettier, her teeth are the right size for her mouth, she doesn't lisp and talk out of the side of her mouth and her face isn't frozen. I can't believe they've left that on the air. They have to know that people will compare the "then" Robin with the "now" Robin. The difference is striking to me. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, CaughtOnTape said:

she's laughing at everything they do.

She came across as ridiculous.  Her daughters are doing dangerous life threatening stuff - and she laughs.  Doesn't she watch Intervention? It can all spiral out of control very quickly.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I missed today's follow up on those two sisters who smoke dope and are so disrespectful to their parents. Not that the parents are due any respect considering their parenting failures. Can someone give me an update on them? Thanks!

They shipped the younger girl to Center for Discovery (against her wishes, she was freaking out in a very fake-looking way), and the older one was a total condescending see-you-next-Tuesday to the rehab people, and refused treatment at Origins. But then apparently (according to an on-screen update) the next day she changed her mind and went to Origins. I am not optimistic.

• Love 2

Re: the two entitled, druggie daughters...the parents are just as much a problem as the children.  The mother wanted to bribe her daughter to be on the show with a tattoo and a Hollywood Walk of Fame afternoon?  WTH is she thinking?! 

Re: the mother-in-law who couldn't see her grandkids...I agree that she had issues (such as firing off the gun), but did anyone else think that the Marine son-in-law gave off a "loose cannon" vibe?  To me his calm demeanor on the show seemed like an act.  The way he yelled at his kids in the video...I could see him being a real a$$ with some serious anger issues.  The daughter/wife defended him, but it seemed like it could have been out of fear.

• Love 7

The man seemed really controlling and his bs about trying to make the mother in law a better Christian just raised some red flags. And if the MIL really saw the children being whipped, she should call CPS. Phil wasn't really buying the Dad's act but he planned on focusing on the MIL's issues so he did. As for his statement that if she raised her daughter right she couldn't be the victim of a controlling, abusive man-that was one of the most harmful things he has ever said.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

As for his statement that if she raised her daughter right she couldn't be the victim of a controlling, abusive man-that was one of the most harmful things he has ever said.

Right?! I hated that. HATED it. And what was she supposed to say, "no, I was a bad mom, so she could get involved with an abuser?" Dr. Phil was browbeating her into saying she raised her daughter well and therefore the daughter MUST have amazing judgment with men and couldn't possibly be abused by one. Jesus.

Also WTF with the MIL and the SIL both "accidentally" firing guns in their own homes?! If that's not a PSA for more gun control, I don't know what is. Silly me, I didn't realize guns accidentally went off all the time with nobody touching the trigger. If they're that dangerous, they should be banned, full stop. I think the whole goddamn family is batshit, JMHO. The religious stuff started up and I said "of COURSE."

• Love 6

The father totally rubbed me the wrong way.  He's one of those people who is a real dick when he thinks he's right, which seems to be all the time.  And the way he was looking at her terrified me.

But the mother did have issues.  I've never quite understood the propensity some people have for getting on others about how they raise their kids and whether or not they're doing it the right way.  If they are asking you to do or not do something around the kid, have respect for that.  It's not your kid, don't worry about it so much.

• Love 4