Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 4/18/2017 at 0:03 PM, charmed1 said:

I don't think Trans-Rachel has any actual love for black people at all, particularly black women.  I recall an account by one of her former students who said that she was downright nasty to her black female students and told one student that she "didn't look Hispanic enough." All the interviews I've seen on this con artist have been conducted by men. Have any actual black women interviewed her? I would love to see them, because I think she's intimidated.

I know this is from a couple of weeks ago, but this interview of Dolezal with Ijeoma Oluo is outstanding:  http://www.thestranger.com/features/2017/04/19/25082450/the-heart-of-whiteness-ijeoma-oluo-interviews-rachel-dolezal-the-white-woman-who-identifies-as-black

• Love 2
10 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I didn't pay much attention to this episode, but I do remember this (and the sister's crazy lip injections). And didn't the mom say she'd also gotten her counseling? I think it's part of Phillip's script to say this to parents. I always imagine some dweeb-ish Svengali guy in meetings saying, "Phil babe, studies show the audience digs it when you really lay into the parents, so really sock it to them okay?" I have similar feelings about Judge Milian when she goes full on banshee.

How did the unbeknownst mistress in the Canadian love triangle not realize she was the other woman? In 15 years, I'm sure she never went to this guy's house. And even she said she knew he was a liar. Nothing about this guy was appealing in any way whatsoever. With all the unprotected sex he's having, a baby is probably the best thing he could've left either of those women with. Maybe they really, really like Scooby Doo.

I think you're probably right about Dr Phil being coached to tear into some guests. Heck, the promos for next month's shows have him literally in some woman's face going "Or you can get off my stage!" I thought I was watching Steve Wilkos by accident!

Considering the cheater story...the other woman probably didn't know the whole story, but she also probably didn't try to hard to find out either. I can believe it was one of those casual hook up things when you're in town and have sex. I don't think it was a romantic affair. Having said that, dude killed me with how much of a weasel he was being about the whole thing...everyone knows so just freaking admit it. His hemming and hawing was kinda aggravating.

Edited by ed2962
clarity
  • Love 2

I think Phill yelling at his guests in the past year or two goes along with his physical decline. There's something seriously wrong with him either physically or mentally or both. I watch the reruns on OWN (which I've mentioned many times) and the difference from even a few years ago is noticeable. Of course, Robin's difference from even a few years ago is even more noticeable. I saw a show that aired 5 years ago and she doesn't even look like the same person. Phil was much calmer, more energetic and more able to move around. And he wasn't drinking water all of the time on stage. 

• Love 4

Ever since I got my 4K Ultra HD TV watching Dr. Phil has been even more distracting.  Everyone points fingers at the plastic Robin, but honestly the amount of makeup spackled onto Dr. Phil's bald crown is mind boggling.  

Then we're told the next guest is a drug addict prostitute who lives on the streets and the woman waltzes out looking like a pampered movie star ready for her next close up.

I don't watch Dr. Phil regularly, but I do remember years & years ago he featured two heroin addicted twins.  Now, they came on stage looking sick and wrecked.  

I can't invest in these stories any more.  I realize a certain amount of makeup is required for cameras or whatever - but why go overboard.  It takes away from the situation being discussed.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I realize a certain amount of makeup is required for cameras or whatever - but why go overboard.  It takes away from the situation being discussed.

The really bad makeup is fairly recent. I don't watch much, either, and it's only been the last few episodes I have watched where I noticed the pancake on Dr. Phil and his guests looking like clowns because their makeup wasn't blended. I rarely wear makeup, and I can do a better job, so I think they got new people and once they actually see the episodes and the bad job it will tone back down. He's always put makeup on his guests, if they let him.

I'm much more distracted by the actual storylines and his questioning, which are more and more sensationalized. I saw maybe ten minutes of the woman who was hanging out with drug dealers and her sister had her kid. He laid into the mom when she said that she didn't know about the "flank" jacket, but knew everything else he said, and he just kept arguing with her that if she had her "head in the sand" he wasn't doing the show. I'm  watching at home and could tell she was clearly saying she didn't know about the "flank' jacket but did know the rest, and like someone else here said, SHE put the GPS in the car. When Dr. Phil said something like, "It's a "flack" jacket and it is used in gun fights" instead of saying "bullet-proof" jacket which is clearly understood by everyone, I decided he was too busy proving he is the savior of the world and fluffing his peacock feathers to actually listen to the words coming out of his guests' mouths, who were there talking it in the hopes that their family member would get help, and just turned it off.

He's an asshole to his guests which bothers me more than the fact they all look like clowns, and in fact, like that his makeup person is making him look physically foolish, since his attitude makes him sound foolish. It's not just here that people are commenting he isn't the same as he was years ago and it's getting difficult to watch. He has always taken crap on his Facebook page, because we viewers think we know better, so I think he just ignores it there. Maybe I'll try and find his viewership numbers and if they had dropped. I think part of it may be that he is in so many countries now, and saw something a few years ago about Judge Judy becoming more trashtastic because the viewership in other countries was higher for trash television. I'm not sure there was any actual support for that theory, but think there was something that made it sound somewhat legitimate as opposed to just a guess. Her refusal to acknowledge basic facts that are known to us people who live in the real world, and insisting that "It doesn't make sense so therefore, it isn't true," has made her unwatchable to me too. I used to like seeing her string the scammers along and then pounce, but now she does it to non-scammers, because she has no idea how to function in the real world. 

I will stop my bitchfest here, because I could go on and on and on about Dr. Phil and Judge Judy and the changes to their shows that I think ruined them. Dr. Phil, in particular, really bothers me because I used to think that there was knowledge and understanding to be had from his guest interactions, and it wasn't as uncomfortable to watch people air their dirty laundry in exchange for a chance at help, because someone watching was likely taking something away from the show. 

Edited by Christina
Spelling like a Judge Judy litigant
  • Love 3

Christina, I don't watch Judge Judy but do watch Shill and totally agree with what you've said about him. I know he has over 300 people who work on his show (as he's said about a million times) but surely they can find new jobs if he retires. He and Robin have a billion dollars. Retire, relax and enjoy the rest of the years you have left with your kids and grandkids. It's truly time to give it up, McGraws.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 1:13 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

They always talk so much about what a fantastic marriage they have, which makes me think they have a bad one. 

I meant to comment on this but got wrapped up in my bitchfest. Back when Dr. Phil was first on Oprah, someone sold a story to a tabloid about Robyn not even living with him and was, in fact, living with a new boyfriend and she and Dr. Phil were planning on divorce. The McGraws were contacted for comment, and managed to get the story quashed. The person who sold it was a relation to the boyfriend, I think, maybe one of his kids and was furious so it was being posted everywhere. Oprah's production company was looking at him for his own show, and they were afraid that the Christian fans that were supporting the idea of a Dr. Phil show, believing it would be a wholesome, family-oriented show, would disperse if they split, and the boyfriend was given a position of bodyguard or something once the show was picked up, and they moved into separate rooms in the same house. Way back then I didn't really care if they were together or not and could see some people having a problem with him getting another divorce.

Recently, Dr. Phil sued a tabloid for violating a contractual agreement to not print certain information about him and Robyn. It was the same claims the person who sold the story years ago made about the story not being printed, that there was an agreement. From the time I first read the rumors, you know, back when the internet wasn't as widely available as it is now and only the people who read certain alt. threads would have heard about it, the lack of a happy marriage seemed obvious. Her walking off the stage with him was said to be part of their agreement to stay together for the show, with her getting her facetime that way. Whether or not she is still with the other man or she and Dr. Phil worked their issues out long ago, I can't buy their marriage being a happy healthy one. For all I know, the story wasn't even true, but it seemed legitimate at the time. The hate and anger that was fueling the story was full of hurt, and that is why I'm thinking it was one of the kids of the boyfriend, who was having an affair with Robyn. Of course, to a child, the affair would have been the other woman's fault, not the dad's. 

I have a hard time believing any of this. People can say anything they want if they think it will get them some publicity or notoriety or perhaps some money. I'm not saying the McGraws have a great marriage but this sounds like so much bullshit to me. I'm no fan of theirs but won't believe something with absolutely no proof behind it.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Christina said:

I meant to comment on this but got wrapped up in my bitchfest. Back when Dr. Phil was first on Oprah, someone sold a story to a tabloid about Robyn not even living with him and was, in fact, living with a new boyfriend and she and Dr. Phil were planning on divorce. The McGraws were contacted for comment, and managed to get the story quashed. The person who sold it was a relation to the boyfriend, I think, maybe one of his kids and was furious so it was being posted everywhere. Oprah's production company was looking at him for his own show, and they were afraid that the Christian fans that were supporting the idea of a Dr. Phil show, believing it would be a wholesome, family-oriented show, would disperse if they split, and the boyfriend was given a position of bodyguard or something once the show was picked up, and they moved into separate rooms in the same house. Way back then I didn't really care if they were together or not and could see some people having a problem with him getting another divorce.

Recently, Dr. Phil sued a tabloid for violating a contractual agreement to not print certain information about him and Robyn. It was the same claims the person who sold the story years ago made about the story not being printed, that there was an agreement. From the time I first read the rumors, you know, back when the internet wasn't as widely available as it is now and only the people who read certain alt. threads would have heard about it, the lack of a happy marriage seemed obvious. Her walking off the stage with him was said to be part of their agreement to stay together for the show, with her getting her facetime that way. Whether or not she is still with the other man or she and Dr. Phil worked their issues out long ago, I can't buy their marriage being a happy healthy one. For all I know, the story wasn't even true, but it seemed legitimate at the time. The hate and anger that was fueling the story was full of hurt, and that is why I'm thinking it was one of the kids of the boyfriend, who was having an affair with Robyn. Of course, to a child, the affair would have been the other woman's fault, not the dad's. 

That's interesting! .. I never heard that rumor but I definitely wouldn't put it past them . From my personal own opinion by just watching the show , Dr. Phil comes off as a huge phony .. like I said , I think he's good at what he does . But he puts on such a show and goes out of his way to make it seem like him and robin have no problems and always goes on about being married to her for 40 years and the camera always captures her making contrived happy tear faces even though her Botox doesn't allow for it .. but my point is, their whole act just comes off as phony as robins skin care line .. we all know they are giving false information about her skin care line being wonder creams , because if it was so amazing , why need all that Botox ? 

I'll never forget the episode where the camera "captured " robin being such a good mother and crying as she handed her son Jay birthday presents and remembered that she was saying in that exact moment how proud of him she was . It was an eye roll worthy moment . 

And if I recall , the reason for his first divorce was because Phil was extremely controlling . I can see that side of him . And didn't he hold his employees hostage . Something about leaking information about his show ?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Christina said:

The really bad makeup is fairly recent. I don't watch much, either, and it's only been the last few episodes I have watched where I noticed the pancake on Dr. Phil and his guests looking like clowns because their makeup wasn't blended. I rarely wear makeup, and I can do a better job, so I think they got new people and once they actually see the episodes and the bad job it will tone back down. He's always put makeup on his guests, if they let him.

I'm much more distracted by the actual storylines and his questioning, which are more and more sensationalized. I saw maybe ten minutes of the woman who was hanging out with drug dealers and her sister had her kid. He laid into the mom when she said that she didn't know about the "flank" jacket, but knew everything else he said, and he just kept arguing with her that if she had her "head in the sand" he wasn't doing the show. I'm  watching at home and could tell she was clearly saying she didn't know about the "flank' jacket but did know the rest, and like someone else here said, SHE put the GPS in the car. When Dr. Phil said something like, "It's a "flack" jacket and it is used in gun fights" instead of saying "bullet-proof" jacket which is clearly understood by everyone, I decided he was too busy proving he is the savior of the world and fluffing his peacock feathers to actually listen to the words coming out of his guests' mouths, who were there talking it in the hopes that their family member would get help, and just turned it off.

He's an asshole to his guests which bothers me more than the fact they all look like clowns, and in fact, like that his makeup person is making him look physically foolish, since his attitude makes him sound foolish. It's not just here that people are commenting he isn't the same as he was years ago and it's getting difficult to watch. He has always taken crap on his Facebook page, because we viewers think we know better, so I think he just ignores it there. Maybe I'll try and find his viewership numbers and if they had dropped. I think part of it may be that he is in so many countries now, and saw something a few years ago about Judge Judy becoming more trashtastic because the viewership in other countries was higher for trash television. I'm not sure there was any actual support for that theory, but think there was something that made it sound somewhat legitimate as opposed to just a guess. Her refusal to acknowledge basic facts that are known to us people who live in the real world, and insisting that "It doesn't make sense so therefore, it isn't true," has made her unwatchable to me too. I used to like seeing her string the scammers along and then pounce, but now she does it to non-scammers, because she has no idea how to function in the real world. 

I will stop my bitchfest here, because I could go on and on and on about Dr. Phil and Judge Judy and the changes to their shows that I think ruined them. Dr. Phil, in particular, really bothers me because I used to think that there was knowledge and understanding to be had from his guest interactions, and it wasn't as uncomfortable to watch people air their dirty laundry in exchange for a chance at help, because someone watching was likely taking something away from the show. 

I realize this is not the place, but could you please elaborate on what ruined Judge Judy?

On topic, I've never been a Dr. Phil fan but watched fairly regularly for about a year.  Now it seems like all the guests have National Enquirer-level sensational stories that may or may not be true and even if they are, I don't care one iota so I stopped watching a while back.  The fact that "ER" is now on at the same time made my decision easy, but I had given up on this show even before then.

That said, I do enjoy watching the older women get catfished because I just can't understand how an otherwise intelligent person can fall for that bullshit.  Loneliness does strange things to our minds.

1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I live for the catfish stories!

I like those, too.  I watch to be entertained so I skip molestation, addiction and wild children.  That doesn't leave me with much but I keep him on my DVR for the 20 to 30% I do catch.  

• Love 2

Today's show was very sad (the married dentist boyfriend killed the woman's toddler), but I have no idea why it was on. The man was a vicious horrible killer and the mother is still grieving. Having Phil ask endless questions doesn't change anything. I understand he ended by saying you could donate to the family through Georgia Smiles, but that could have been done without putting it on the air and I'm not sure what the donations are for since the crime happened awhile ago and it didn't appear the mother was poor.

I'm tired of the shows with wild children too. Most of the parents who come on the show have been dealing with these children for years-yet Phil insists they are not doing their job, don't care, etc. Phil goes nuts over a missing piece of paper or the parent letting their child sleep in the house or eat, yet he does't take into account how tired and worn out these people must be. Most of them have to hold down jobs, take care of other children and their house and cannot spend every moment researching Phil's perfect methods. And yes, some of them are poor, addicted and uneducated themselves, so yelling at them and threatening them is not going to help either. The molestation stories are hard too, especially since Phil goes back on forth. Sometimes he says "Always believe the child" and sometimes he says "Don't believe the child, they were probably coached". Those types of things cannot be decided on in a 40 minute show. While I do sometimes agree with him that a child may have been coached, I agree with him because I don't like the other parent not because of any real evidence. I like the catfishing shows because I do think they may be educational to some people and maybe the deluded women might believe him. 

• Love 5

I just feel like Dr. Phil is unnecessarily mean to people. The only people he is nice to are the ones who are mean to him. If a kid is out of control, it is automatically the parents fault even though the other siblings are completely normal. Like someone else said, the woman on the other days show knew about everything that was going on with her prostitute daughter, but said she wasn't aware of one thing that Dr. Phil mentioned. And of course he yelled at her for 10 minutes saying he's not wasting his time if she isn't gonna be fully involved in this. WTF? She was there to try to help her daughter who she's been stalking with a gps for good reason, and not knowing 1 detail out of 1,000 is an end all be all? Dr. Phil is just way too full of himself. And I agree with the makeup on him.. YIKES. 

I know a lot of people comment on him physically changing, but the show started over 15 years ago. He's obviously gonna get older. He's in his late 60's. He's not 40.

I don't know how he has the nerve to go straight into Robin's skin care line 2 seconds after a molestation episode. He is so money hungry.

• Love 6
Just now, Jaclyn88 said:

I just feel like Dr. Phil is unnecessarily mean to people. The only people he is nice to are the ones who are mean to him. If a kid is out of control, it is automatically the parents fault even though the other siblings are completely normal. Like someone else said, the woman on the other days show knew about everything that was going on with her prostitute daughter, but said she wasn't aware of one thing that Dr. Phil mentioned. And of course he yelled at her for 10 minutes saying he's not wasting his time if she isn't gonna be fully involved in this. WTF? She was there to try to help her daughter who she's been stalking with a gps for good reason, and not knowing 1 detail out of 1,000 is an end all be all? Dr. Phil is just way too full of himself. And I agree with the makeup on him.. YIKES. 

I know a lot of people comment on him physically changing, but the show started over 15 years ago. He's obviously gonna get older. He's in his late 60's. He's not 40.

I don't know how he has the nerve to go straight into Robin's skin care line 2 seconds after a molestation episode. He is so money hungry.

We were shocked by him tearing that lady (the one talked about in the bolded part) a new one, too. There was absolutely no call for that. I agree with most of the posters here in that he seems to particularly enjoy getting sanctimonious on these people, even though he has no justification for it. Either he or I are very fortunate it's not me he's tearing into like that because I wouldn't put up with it. And that would mean I would either embarrass him on national television or I would not get whatever help I had gone there to get.

As for him going straight into shilling Robin's face cream crap ... ugh! I hate that. I especially hated it in that episode with the girl whose stepfather has been calling her lazy and worthless for the last 10 years. He went into that last commercial break making it seem like we'd be seeing some resolution with her afterward. And then we got baited-and-switched after the commercial break by him going on about how "expert" Robin is at face cream. Every time he starts shilling that shit, I think of "Beauline" from that terrible "Cat Woman" movie with Halle Berry and Sharon Stone. I can't help it. Robin's so stone-faced that I keep imagining her face cream is actually turning her skin into stone, just like the "Beauline" did in that movie. And I'm so sick of him shilling that crap that I sometimes find myself wishing she'd trip and splinter into a thousand pieces.

• Love 8
(edited)
12 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

As for him going straight into shilling Robin's face cream crap ... ugh! I hate that. I especially hated it in that episode with the girl whose stepfather has been calling her lazy and worthless for the last 10 years. He went into that last commercial break making it seem like we'd be seeing some resolution with her afterward. And then we got baited-and-switched after the commercial break by him going on about how "expert" Robin is at face cream. Every time he starts shilling that shit, I think of "Beauline" from that terrible "Cat Woman" movie with Halle Berry and Sharon Stone. I can't help it. Robin's so stone-faced that I keep imagining her face cream is actually turning her skin into stone, just like the "Beauline" did in that movie. And I'm so sick of him shilling that crap that I sometimes find myself wishing she'd trip and splinter into a thousand pieces.

I really, really hate the shilling of Robin's skincare line.  Lately, he's been shilling other things that seem nonsensical given the subject matter of the shows.  I can't remember the exact show, but once he cut to shilling AARP in the last few minutes and I remember being "WTF does that have to do with ANYTHING?"  I don't understand why he does these cutaways at the end. 

With the girl whose stepfather was calling her lazy, he promised to show some off-stage conversation with her after the break.  When the show returned, he did the cutaway (was it for Robin's line?  I seem to remember something else but I could be wrong).  Then AFTER that, he showed the promised conversation with the girl.  It was the last minute of the show.  I only got to see it because I was too lazy to get up for the remote after he pulled the bait-and-switch.  So disjointed and stupid.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Aquarius said:

Then AFTER that, he showed the promised conversation with the girl.  It was the last minute of the show.  I only got to see it because I was too lazy to get up for the remote after he pulled the bait-and-switch.  So disjointed and stupid.

That's why we missed it, then. He went into the shilling and we figured that was the end. What an asshole.

• Love 2

He's to busy wanting to continue to stay "famous" and the outlandish guests that end up making it on the show prove it. His behavior on talk shows he appears on displays how he thinks he's a legend in his own mind. I haven't watched in almost two years except for a couple times when I tried to watch a few minutes when there wasn't much else on. I'm not saying that most of the people he has on his show don't need help. I am saying that it would be nice if he went back to doing some shows where he helped people with more common problems instead of all the outlandish stuff 24/7. Of course the problem with that is he doesn't have the temperament for those kind of situations anymore. He can't even be bothered to pretend that he does either.

• Love 4

And also, I hate when Dr. Phil can't believe a parent allows their 18 year old to live at home. I'ts great  that his kids were fortunate enough to be a billionaire's son, but most 18 year olds can't scrape 2 dimes together.. and how could they? Also, where would his own  kids be without his money?

• Love 6

My Dr Phil watching has gone down exponentially. I don't watch the molestation, addiction or wild teen shows. I also skip any show where it's clear the guest has a severe mental illness. Also who killed (fill in the blank) shows

That pretty much leaves catfished grandmas, assholes who justify cheating and crazy mother in laws. 

Plus I switch it off once the shilling of face cream and books start. Oh,  and as soon as the PNP center or Dr. Frank Lawless  is mentioned, I hit the delete button.  

• Love 8

Well I guess I'm going to add my 2 cents. I can't watch Phil too much anymore either. It's a combination of him adding Robin to the mix way too much (or at all), Phil's horrible choice of what "hard things" to talk about and the lack of reporting back to us, the viewers, how these messed up guests are doing after his "dual diagnosis" rehab b.s. etc.

I'm not a crazy zealot for Oprah but I will say that (aside from her "favorite things" and personal product pimping) I got one of the best educations in my adult life watching her show for so many years. I don't need to elaborate but daytime talk shows are never going to hold a candle to Oprah.

• Love 2

I'd like to see more "updates" on old shows.  Anyone remember that lady who spent so much money on her cute kid in pigtails who was going to be the next Dakota Manning?  That kid has to be grown by now and I wonder if she ever got an agent or if her parents are still married.   OWN has be rerunning some from 2007.

On another show (maybe 20/20) years ago there was a show about a devoted couple with a child diagnosed with schizophrenia.   She was on so many meds.  Then they had a male child and he was diagnosed with autism.  Both kids were out of control.  They had a website giving updates to the public.   The daughter became so dangerous the got separate apartments so the brother would be safe.  An update was done a few months ago.  Husband left--couldn't take it anymore.  Right now cannot remember any of their names.  

• Love 3

Is it Edan Woods? She never made it to big time but I still see her on things. She judged one of those beauty contests and tried mentoring her followers the last time I saw her. (With in the past year iirc)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

On another show (maybe 20/20) years ago there was a show about a devoted couple with a child diagnosed with schizophrenia.   She was on so many meds.  Then they had a male child and he was diagnosed with autism.  Both kids were out of control.  They had a website giving updates to the public.   The daughter became so dangerous the got separate apartments so the brother would be safe.  An update was done a few months ago.  Husband left--couldn't take it anymore.  Right now cannot remember any of their names.  

Here is the link to what you are talking about.  I watched the update and it seems like since the divorce both kids are better controlled.  If I remember correctly both children were given a bad set of drugs and since they have simplified the treatment both are doing much better.  The girl has friends and is doing well.  The boy is only autistic and doing better on his new meds.  Both kids miss their dad but the tension in the house is better and seems both kids are responding well.  The father is feeling guilt for leaving and living far away, as he should.

Anyone watch the show about the brother, the predator, and his family today?  It just reminds me of the Duggars and their non response in their home.  I did like how Dr. Phil said the sister was devalued by the whole family and the predator brother will reoffend.  Anyone?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Anyone watch the show about the brother, the predator, and his family today?  It just reminds me of the Duggars and their non response in their home.  I did like how Dr. Phil said the sister was devalued by the whole family and the predator brother will reoffend.  Anyone?

Yes, I watched it and thought of Josh Duggar as well. That must've been a House of Horrors. Those poor little girls. 

• Love 3

I think the reason they never give updates is because the outcome probably isn't a good one... Because if I know Dr. Phil, he would do anything to be able to brag about people who changed because of him.

• Love 3

The teenager who molested his sister was creepy as hell. Sometimes I wonder what if these are real people or actors. Why would he agree to go on TV? I wish I could find out-my cynical teenager is convinced some of these stories are fake.

• Love 4

Yes, that teenager is a serial killer in the making. There was definitely something really wrong with him. And his parents! The only rational person in that family was the daughter and she needs to get far away from those freaks. 

• Love 5

My DVR has started refusing to record this show. Seriously. I set it up to record all week, and it just doesn't record them (it's ONLY Dr. Phil that it does this for). "Try a series recording?" Nope. The DVR REFUSES TO RECORD THIS SERIES. And ONLY this series. It is definitely a sign from Jesus, I think.

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My DVR has started refusing to record this show. Seriously. I set it up to record all week, and it just doesn't record them (it's ONLY Dr. Phil that it does this for). "Try a series recording?" Nope. The DVR REFUSES TO RECORD THIS SERIES. And ONLY this series. It is definitely a sign from Jesus, I think.

I have a more logical answer.  LOL.  Do you have DIRECTV?  With a Genie?  I had this problem with Survivor.  It was in my series manager list as #1!  But it didn't record it.  I had to delete it and go to the guide and record it from there.  I am not sure what I did wrong but I intend to call them today about this so your dilemma is a timely one for me. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Yes, that teenager is a serial killer in the making. There was definitely something really wrong with him. And his parents! The only rational person in that family was the daughter and she needs to get far away from those freaks. 

We got to watch that episode today. Wow. That boy was fucking creepy as hell. Reminded me of a cross between Norman Bates (as played by Anthony Perkins) and Hannibal Lecter. He'll be in prison before the year is out.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have a more logical answer.  LOL.  Do you have DIRECTV?  With a Genie?  I had this problem with Survivor.  It was in my series manager list as #1!  But it didn't record it.  I had to delete it and go to the guide and record it from there.  I am not sure what I did wrong but I intend to call them today about this so your dilemma is a timely one for me. 

Nope, we have a local cable provider, I suppose I could call them to sort this out but I figure my DVR is trying to save me from myself ;) I hope your problem gets fixed!

29 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

We got to watch that episode today. Wow. That boy was fucking creepy as hell. Reminded me of a cross between Norman Bates (as played by Anthony Perkins) and Hannibal Lecter. He'll be in prison before the year is out.

I got the Norman Bates vibe too and a Mrs. Bates vibe from the mom. And a WTF vibe from the father. The mother basically called a five year old victim a liar, knowing her creepy assed son was guilty. What a scary house to ever be in, even as a visitor. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already killed someone. He seemed almost gleeful describing his desire to kill.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Nope, we have a local cable provider, I suppose I could call them to sort this out but I figure my DVR is trying to save me from myself ;) I hope your problem gets fixed!

I feel confident it isn't Jesus or your DVR protecting you, so call your cable provider!  LOL 

• Love 1

I am watching the teen molester now as I write this.  I find it fascinating that he actually looks creepy.  Without knowing his story he would radiate "off."  

It is difficult if not impossible to cure a molester.  I have read this countless times.  Phil knows this.  

I usually skip molesters but this story is unique and fascinating, to me.  

OMG!  He refuses help!  Dr Phil signs off.  I loved him for that!  You cannot help anyone who does not want to help themselves.  Sometimes you just have to say fuck off.  The law will get him and he will be in jail before long.  This show reached many in his area and word will spread; the police will be watching.  

Prisoners HATE child molesters.  He won't survive long.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Prisoners HATE child molesters.  He won't survive long.  

Admittedly, I have never been in or to a prison much less one that houses child molesters/pedophiles, sexual sadists etc. So my question to any of my fellow PT posters who can enlighten me on a few things: 

Are pedophiles/sexual sadists housed seperately from other prisons?  Or

Does it differ fron state to state? Or

Are they just put in with the general population? I've heard/read both. So I would love to know the truth, the facts, the reality.

Haven't seen this episode yet but I did see the previews...very disturbing.

7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The DVR REFUSES TO RECORD THIS SERIES. And ONLY this series. It is definitely a sign from Jesus, I think.

You think it's that one girl's Baby Jesus?

• Love 6

@chenoa333 Adult convicts who are pedophiles are housed separately from other prisoners. They used to be left in general population, but their survival rate was .... low.

Now, if he had been sent to prison when he was a teenager for doing what he did, well..... that would be a different story. My mother worked at a maximum security juvenile "detention center"** for over 20 years and I worked at the same one for about 18 months (3x 6 month contract, not FTE). The ones who sexually assaulted children sometimes survived and the ones that survived were missing certain ... bits. The ones that didn't survive were the ones that the other prisoners judged to be truly unrepentant and irredeemable. And that's really saying something when you consider the "jury" to be comprised of people who had no qualms about doing things like murdering an 89 year old woman in her home over the course of three days using a ball peen hammer and various other instruments found around the house, only to be able to rob her of $318 and then sit around her house with your brother and your girlfriend getting high.

**They call it a "detention center", but it's really a maximum security prison. It's got two rows of 60 foot high fences, topped with razor wire, with another two rows of razor wire at the mid-way point up the fences (on each side of the inner fence - so you had to jump once you topped the inner fence or get even more shredded), and guard towers every 100 feet or so. There were occasionally escapees. Most were either found dead or died shortly after being found from the acute blood loss caused by crossing 8 rings of razor wire. The ones who survived spent the requisite time in the infirmary and were generally moved to maximum security adult prison.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

@chenoa333 Adult convicts who are pedophiles are housed separately from other prisoners. 

Well THAT'S disappointing news. But thank you so much for taking the time to explain how things really happen in prison for pedophiles/sexual predators/sadists. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/3/2017 at 11:16 AM, Madding crowd said:

The teenager who molested his sister was creepy as hell. Sometimes I wonder what if these are real people or actors. Why would he agree to go on TV? I wish I could find out-my cynical teenager is convinced some of these stories are fake.

Now your very intelligent, cynical teenager (with great insight) has opened up a big can of worms! It really DOESN'T make sense for that kid to go on national tv to be accused of molestation. Allegedly, Phil's guests don't get paid to be on the show.....all they get is psychological help or a visit to Dr Lawless. IF they want it

Edited by chenoa333
Spelling
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2017 at 1:06 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

And also, I hate when Dr. Phil can't believe a parent allows their 18 year old to live at home. I'ts great  that his kids were fortunate enough to be a billionaire's son, but most 18 year olds can't scrape 2 dimes together.. and how could they? Also, where would his own  kids be without his money?

Jordan McGraw lives in a Tim Burton inspired mansion. No way did he pay for that place by himself. I bet it was financed by Phil and the unreal Robin. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, wings707 said:

Ohhhh wow, @MrSmith.   Grisly (see what I did there?) 

The craziest part is the boys who did that (I met them and talked to them) were actually quite personable and sociable. They seemed completely normal until you went and read their files.

Edited to add: The three of them got life in prison without parole, with additional years added on due to the torture they inflicted on the lady they killed (IIRC, "life plus 85 years"). The girlfriend was sent to the female juvenile maximum security prison (can't remember where that is) and gave birth while she was there. The baby was adopted by her parents, iirc. The two boys were 16 and 15, and the girlfriend was 15 at the time of the crime.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today. The teen girl is going to be just fine.  All she really wants is for her parents to get back together and she really thought that was happening.  It wasn't.  Early in the program dad said he did not like his ex was exposing her to several things and on that list was Lesbian "stuff" I think he phrased it.   I took that to mean mom is a lesbian. Maybe not but I don't see them igniting their marriage but they did seem to be on the same page about helping  their daughter.  Funny, she is fine, they are the ones who need the help! 

Edited by wings707
On 5/5/2017 at 9:15 PM, wings707 said:

arly in the program dad said he did not like his ex was exposing her to several things and on that list was Lesbian "stuff" I think he phrased it.   I took that to mean mom is a lesbian.

Yes she is. This episode was a two-parter for whatever reason and the woman's partner was interviewed. 

Everyone in that family seemed kind of dim. I think Phillip was trying to pinpoint some reason why "beautiful" Darbi kept running away and was disappointed that he could only squeeze out Jeff Spicoli-like answers  from her.

When the drunk mom episode came on, I admit I laughed when Drunk Mom slurred her introduction as, "I'm a drunk and a liar!" I gave her points for being honest.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, Showthyme said:

Jordan McGraw lives in a Tim Burton inspired mansion.

Thanks for the info.  I did not know that and went and found pictures of the mansion.  Now don't shoot me but I found it kind of cool and done pretty tastefully.  I do get he will probably have to do a whole remodel for a sale but that candy cabinet looks so cool and I don't even like candy.

• Love 1