Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, General Days said:

Candace Owens? Tomi Lahren? Kimberly Guilfoyle? Ann Coulter?

Are you all conspiring in DM to make me throw up?

LMAO!

Someone called KG the Delta version of MM, and I agree.

I do think the others might be less annoying. I don’t know if they do this, but one thing that really annoys me with Megan is she’s rude to her fellow hosts and the audience when they were in studio. There are people who may be obnoxious and provocative but can still respect their coworkers and people who came to watch a show. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, tableau vivant said:

I wouldn't mind her. She's quite comical when she takes herself so seriously. 

Joy likes her and has had her on her HLN show.  (I think Joy knows Ann Coulter's schtick is to saying shocking things and she's more of a shock jock than a political pundit.)

I'm definitely not an Ann Coulter fan, but I think I could put up with her being on the show.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Joy likes her and has had her on her HLN show.  (I think Joy knows Ann Coulter's schtick is to saying shocking things and she's more of a shock jock than a political pundit.)

I loathe Ann Coulter and feel a little less respect for Joy now that I know they are friends.  If Coulter's saying the things she does to shock and not because she genuinely believes them then her being on The View is no better then McCain.  Maybe even worse.  Give MM her due, I think she actually believes most of the crap she spews.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I loathe Ann Coulter and feel a little less respect for Joy now that I know they are friends. 

I don't think they are friends. I think the more accurate description would be they are friendly.

50 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

If Coulter's saying the things she does to shock and not because she genuinely believes them then her being on The View is no better then McCain. 

This is true of quite a few people. 

50 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Give MM her due, I think she actually believes most of the crap she spews.

I'm not so sure about that.  It's all about optics and as she says politics is a game with winners and losers. I think she just hates to lose and wants to win at all costs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm definitely not an Ann Coulter fan, but I think I could put up with her being on the show.

Ann was amusing during appearances on Bill Maher's shows, though I haven't seen her lately. I've even read a couple of her books (from the library), not because I agree with her but to see how she sets up an argument by carefully selecting evidence to support it (sort of like the Colbert Report).  She also writes and speaks well with a great vocabulary and wouldn't be using one or more words incorrectly every week or mixing up words that start with the same letter as MM does. I like when people choose the perfect adjective instead of lazily inserting a swear word or ad hominem attack to end a discussion when they aren't winning.

Ann might make an entertaining guest host but she would probably see a full-time gig on The View as a step backwards in her career, although Whoopi & Sunny don't seem to mind. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Ann was amusing during appearances on Bill Maher's shows, though I haven't seen her lately

I will never forget when she was a guest on his show after George  W. Bush wanted to nominate Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court and Ann said I support Bush but I didn't expect him to nominate the cleaning lady.  It was a funny moment.  She can be light hearted and I don't think she would be as antagonistic as Meghan but I'm also not sure she could have rational and calm discussions about topics where her and the others would disagree.

• Love 3
On 7/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, ifionlyknew said:

It was much more fun to watch to watch Meredith dress up as a hot dog than watch Meghan McCain spew dangerous disinformation.

Has anyone caught the promos ABC has been running the past few days - even during the show ?  They are gearing up for September, that's for sure...

ABC is promoting itself as the #1 network  where Americans get their  "news" - and they tout "GMA" as the #1 morning show, "ABC World News Tonight" as the #1 network news, and yes - "The View" as the #1 daytime talk show.  They make it very clear that they are the #1 network news source, and these three #1 shows are the shows where Americans are getting their 'news' on network (not cable) TV. 

As I have pointed out all season, 'The View' has evolved in the past 25 seasons. They are now part of ABC News division, and they are pushing this as a source for news and information. 

So for those viewers who caution 'this isn't "Crossfire" ' and long for the days of Meredith dressing up as a hot dog instead, you will be very disappointed in the upcoming season. You may want to catch 'The Talk' or 'The Real' instead and see if one of those hosts will be dressing up like a hot dog.  It's not happening here on this show. 

ABC has ditched the 'entertainment talk show' format and is pushing a 'news talk show' which covers politics, racial issues, health issues, law & order issues, economic issues, etc. for discussion among the hosts.  This has been their ratings juggernaut.  I think that will be reflected on who they eventually choose to replace Meghan. 

Edited by tableau vivant
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Ann was amusing during appearances on Bill Maher's shows, though I haven't seen her lately. I've even read a couple of her books (from the library), not because I agree with her but to see how she sets up an argument by carefully selecting evidence to support it (sort of like the Colbert Report).  She also writes and speaks well with a great vocabulary and wouldn't be using one or more words incorrectly every week or mixing up words that start with the same letter as MM does. I like when people choose the perfect adjective instead of lazily inserting a swear word or ad hominem attack to end a discussion when they aren't winning.

Ann might make an entertaining guest host but she would probably see a full-time gig on The View as a step backwards in her career, although Whoopi & Sunny don't seem to mind. 

I agree with amusing and entertaining. 

4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

She can be light hearted and I don't think she would be as antagonistic as Meghan but I'm also not sure she could have rational and calm discussions about topics where her and the others would disagree.

I'm not sure either. I think I'm the only person here who thinks Ana can be a bonehead. I can't go into why without breaking board rules. Does she have a better vocabulary and stronger wit than Meghan? Of course, and I'd consider her a huge upgrade from the princess. But I don't think she's the smartest person or conservative out there. 

If they’re marketing themselves as a news show, there’s no reason why they just can’t use one of the many female reporters from ABC News. There are plenty of competent women that work on their other shows that deserve the opportunity to try out for the cohosting job. Heck, bring in women from their local affiliates for a tryout and give them the opportunity to shine on a national level. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

If they’re marketing themselves as a news show, there’s no reason why they just can’t use one of the many female reporters from ABC News.

Last I checked,  they have Sunny Hostin from ABC News on 'The View'.  She still serves as their Senior Legal Analyst and Correspondent for ABC News while hosting 'The View'. 👍 

There are plenty of competent women that work on their other shows that deserve the opportunity to try out for the cohosting job. Heck, bring in women from their local affiliates for a tryout and give them the opportunity to shine on a national level. 

As far as other competent women who work on their other shows, and women from the local affiliates - they have had them guest hosting on the show repeatedly. Maybe they have offered them jobs on the show when a seat was vacant, and they refused for whatever reason. We don't know for sure, but what we do know is many have been given the chance in the guest host chair.  So I think that takes care of that, too. 

10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

If Coulter's saying the things she does to shock and not because she genuinely believes them then her being on The View is no better then McCain.  Maybe even worse.  Give MM her due, I think she actually believes most of the crap she spews.

I have heard that Ann Coulter is in reality clever and reasonable and the Ann Coulter that we see on TV is a schtick that she puts on. That doesn't make me want to watch her more.

The last thing I heard from Coulter was a tweet about the Canadian vaccine  rollout misrepresenting the situation. The ratio on the tweet was funny to read but there are people who believed her, who may make decisions based on what she says, who might vote on that misinformation.

Like the Fox hosts who tell their viewers against vaccines while they are vaccinated themselves, it's feels dishonet.  If they're going for a conservative host, I'd like a real conservative who argues based on the philosophy instead of making up lies for the shock value. I'm done with that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I have heard that Ann Coulter is in reality clever and reasonable and the Ann Coulter that we see on TV is a schtick that she puts on. That doesn't make me want to watch her more.

The last thing I heard from Coulter was a tweet about the Canadian vaccine  rollout misrepresenting the situation. The ratio on the tweet was funny to read but there are people who believed her, who may make decisions based on what she says, who might vote on that misinformation.

Like the Fox hosts who tell their viewers against vaccines while they are vaccinated themselves, it's feels dishonet.  If they're going for a conservative host, I'd like a real conservative who argues based on the philosophy instead of making up lies for the shock value. I'm done with that.

That has been their M.O since conservative media came into existence.  Distort the truth, in order to rile their base and get attention; something that Me-Again does every day.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, tableau vivant said:

So for those viewers who caution 'this isn't "Crossfire" ' and long for the days of Meredith dressing up as a hot dog instead, you will be very disappointed in the upcoming season. You may want to catch 'The Talk' or 'The Real' instead and see if one of those hosts will be dressing up like a hot dog.  It's not happening here on this show

The show can be entertaining without  cohosts being nasty towards each other.  Women can have smart discussions about politics and also have fun discussions about just about anything else. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Whoopi, Joy, Sara and Sunny do not have political pundit/analyst in their job description.  Why does the "conservative" co host need to be one?  

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think I'm the only person here who thinks Ana can be a bonehead.

I had never heard of her before I came back to the View.  I'm not a fan.  I don't dislike her but honestly the only thing I liked about her is we dislike some of the same people.

13 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

If they’re marketing themselves as a news show, there’s no reason why they just can’t use one of the many female reporters from ABC News. There are plenty of competent women that work on their other shows that deserve the opportunity to try out for the cohosting job. Heck, bring in women from their local affiliates for a tryout and give them the opportunity to shine on a national level. 

I like this idea.  Originally the View always  had a  younger woman just starting out in her career.   I think it would be good to have a younger person's perspective on the state of society right now.  

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The show can be entertaining without  cohosts being nasty towards each other.  Women can have smart discussions about politics and also have fun discussions about just about anything else. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Exactly.  Do those who want a Meg clone on the show realize what they are asking for?  Not a conservative voice but a nasty, immature purveyor of lies.  Is that really the face they want for that conservative voice?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

When in it's 25 seasons have they not been nasty to each other ? It's been part of the show's DNA from the first season starting with the tension and nastiness between Joy and Star Jones and festered from there...

• Love 1
19 hours ago, tableau vivant said:

So for those viewers who caution 'this isn't "Crossfire" ' and long for the days of Meredith dressing up as a hot dog instead, you will be very disappointed in the upcoming season. You may want to catch 'The Talk' or 'The Real' instead and see if one of those hosts will be dressing up like a hot dog.  It's not happening here on this show. 

Oh my goodness! The show doesn't have to be one extreme or the other!   It is not REALLY a choice between silly nonsense and fierce, nasty  political debate.    There IS a middle ground. In fact, The View has been able to be a well-rounded show at times in the past.  I hope they can come back to it.   

• Love 16
4 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Oh my goodness! The show doesn't have to be one extreme or the other!   It is not REALLY a choice between silly nonsense and fierce, nasty  political debate.    There IS a middle ground. In fact, The View has been able to be a well-rounded show at times in the past.  I hope they can come back to it.   

Preach! Seeing women fight and treat each other like crap is not my idea of entertainment.

Rosie versus Elizabeth, Whoopie versus Paula, Rosie and others always enraged me and made me sad to see women treating each other like that.. I am all for a healthy spirited debate that is thought-provoking but nastiness and disrespect, no thanks!

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Preach! Seeing women fight and treat each other like crap is not my idea of entertainment.

Rosie versus Elizabeth, Whoopie versus Paula, Rosie and others always enraged me and made me sad to see women treating each other like that.. I am all for a healthy spirited debate that is thought-provoking but nastiness and disrespect, no thanks!

Despite my name on here, I feel the same. For me it also depends on how bad the fighting is and the arena. If I tune in once a week to watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills for a peak into the lifestyles of the rich and famous, I know to expect some drama. I admit some of it is interesting. There's usually a story and some suspense. I really don't enjoy someone constantly being nasty on a morning talk show M-F for no reason. I want a feel-good women's show where I can enjoy my coffee. I don't need a bratty heiress making my blood pressure rise. 

• Love 4
On 8/4/2021 at 1:11 PM, tinkerbell said:

If the network wanted to keep it to a middle ground, they would have left it in the entertainment division of ABC.  But they moved it to the news division a few seasons ago, and today they are promoting it as the #1 Daytime Talk Show viewers turn to for news. They're not going back to a well-rounded show, not when they're branding this as a 'news show' and the ratings have paid off. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/media/2021/08/05/meghan-mccain-after-the-view/5471015001/

"McCain has been good for "The View." "The View" has been good for McCain. Ratings stayed pretty even for her tenure, as reported in the Wrap, at about 2.7 million viewers per episode. This season the audience has grown to an average of 2.79 million viewers. At a time when broadcast ratings are shrinking all over, "The View" became the most-watched daytime talk show on TV."

• Love 1

I don't know, the past two weeks of the show seem to disprove that. They've slowly been going back to the way the show was pre-McCain now she's on her way out, where the first segment is politics, the second segment is something unrelated to politics, with the last half hour being fluff topics and interviews. They haven't been talking about politics nonstop like they were before McCain got her notice.

• Love 2

Today, with media coverage about McCain's departure, there's been plenty of talk that Debbie M from Season 1 is in 'serious negotiations' to return as a host. 

Please no ! We already have Sara on the show - we don't need two hosts out of their league. There's a reason why she was fired in Season 1.   Please - no, no, no ! 

One TV critic also explained why Ana won't be asked to fill the vacant  seat as a host - and that's because she's not a 'real conservative voice' but a RINO. Something I've been saying all along. 

ABC, he explained, wants a real conservative voice on the show to represent conservative Americans watching the show. Ana, on the other hand, is a self-described Republican who agrees with everything the Democrats put forward, and everything the other liberal hosts have to say. (I've said this all along). 

2 hours ago, tableau vivant said:

Today, with media coverage about McCain's departure, there's been plenty of talk that Debbie M from Season 1 is in 'serious negotiations' to return as a host. 

Please no ! We already have Sara on the show - we don't need two hosts out of their league. There's a reason why she was fired in Season 1.   Please - no, no, no ! 

One TV critic also explained why Ana won't be asked to fill the vacant  seat as a host - and that's because she's not a 'real conservative voice' but a RINO. Something I've been saying all along. 

ABC, he explained, wants a real conservative voice on the show to represent conservative Americans watching the show. Ana, on the other hand, is a self-described Republican who agrees with everything the Democrats put forward, and everything the other liberal hosts have to say. (I've said this all along). 

I was a kid back then, so I don't have much of an opinion on Debbie M as far as her intellect or personality in general. She may have been one of the youngest women to have ever hosted the show, if not the youngest, but she's 46 now. That's not old, but the rest of them vary from 43 to 78. I prefer someone around Meghan's age or younger. It's nice to get a young woman's perspective on both political and nonpolitical topics. 

I'm one of the few who has no problem criticizing Ana despite the fact I think she's a nice person. I wouldn't say she's a RINO. I have my theories as far as why she she's been pretty agreeable with the others the past few years, but I can't go into them on here. She's not my first pic either. I know regular schmegular conservatives who are more intelligent, but she's fun and a huge upgrade from Meghan. If she became a replacement, I'd be cool with it. She has tons of fans, so it would be smart to offer her the job, but I've read on here she probably wouldn't want to move. It sounds like she has a great life in Florida and doesn't need the money. 

1 hour ago, TheView said:

I'm scared to know who they'll dig up for the open seat 

I think the only person whose name I've seen tossed out who'd be a downgrade imo is Kimberly Guilfoyle. In her defense, I haven't seen nearly as much of her as I have of Meghan. Perhaps she's a much nicer person, IDK. I'd be scared of her screaming at us every day though.  

My ideal person is:

#1 More pleasant than Meghan, which is almost everybody.

#2 A conservative or a progressive. If this is going to remain a political show, I want diversity of opinions. 

#3 Someone in their 30s or even 20s. 

#4 No more MyFathers. I really prefer someone without a famous father, although as long as she doesn't talk about him nonstop, it's not a dealbreaker for me.

• Love 4

The show doesn’t need someone who’s either a progressive, middle, or conservative.

It needs someone who can talk about her opinions and beliefs, get along with her cohosts, and most importantly, not have whatever political leanings she may have, define her and her persona. 

It can be done. And just because this show is under the news division doesn’t make it a news show.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 19

omfg.  They cannot get her.  The table would uproar.  Joy would never sit at a table with her.  Whoever said they foresaw one more exit before the year is out, maybe right.  I have no prob with Debbie Mat.......heh.  cant spell that whole thing though. Boo KG, Yeah DM!  Make it your signature!  Rally the troops!  Sorry, too early for a Sunday morn.  Have a great day everybody 

• Love 1

I’d have to think all these names thrown out are wishful thinking from their agents. None of the names floated see, to mesh well with the current panel.

Ideally IMO we’d get a young Conservative/Progressive/Independent and preferably a POC. Someone whose whole identity isn’t tribalism but can also do the non serious topics and has actual chemistry (not disdain). More Jed less MM. Bonus points for someone unknown.

35 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Ideally IMO we’d get a young Conservative/Progressive/Independent and preferably a POC. Someone whose whole identity isn’t tribalism but can also do the non serious topics and has actual chemistry (not disdain). More Jed less MM. Bonus points for someone unknown.

Yes we need someone with a different perspective. Not just politically but all topics.  Someone younger sees the world differently. Someone unknown would be great.  

• Love 4

Someone in their late 20s or early 30s who has supported herself and lived an interesting life would provide a different perspective. MyFather's daughter is in her 30s, Sara in her 40s, Sunny in her 50s, Whoopi in her 60s & Joy in her 70s.

• Love 5

Lewinsky, Guilfoyle, and Osborne are all never-gonna-happen suggestions, LOL. (And thank God for that!) I don't think Lewinsky would want the job and why would they want her either? Guilfoyle... Ha, she wishes. Osbourne's nasty jabs at The View over the years when they were in their weaker moments (the revolving door of co-hosts between the time Joy left and returned*) would guarantee they'd never pick her even if she didn't have a nexus of bad press surrounding her now. I know pachebo was probably joking with the Osbourne suggestion though.

* Love her or hate her, Joy has been a stabilizing presence for this show its entire run, partly because she knows how the show is supposed to "work," having been there from the beginning and able to shift tone / direction on a dime. It's why I'd be surprised if the show lasts more than 3-5 years after she retires.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

If Guilfoyle is hired, then I am out.  I just can't.  Cannot.  Ever.

If she is hired this will confirm my personal theory  - that MM was encouraged to behave the way she did as a way to make the republican party look bad.

• Love 3

I haven’t watched The View in years. I miss the days of the first few years. Of course, Star was a diva but her drama was behind the scenes and we didn’t find out till years later how everyone hated her towards the end. All that said, I don’t know why they want to put on a show where everyone hates each other. I know that’s very Pollyanna and they want ratings but can’t they have a show where  they like each other……somewhat? 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, roughing it said:

If Guilfoyle is hired, then I am out.  I just can't.  Cannot.  Ever.

The problem (one of several) with hiring her is given her close proximity to you know who one of two things would  happen. Either he would be a topic every day or they would never talk about him.  Guilfoyle would not be objective when discussing any topic concerning him.  Instead of hearing myfather everyday we would hear my myboyfriend or myboyfriend's father every day.  

12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

All that said, I don’t know why they want to put on a show where everyone hates each other. I know that’s very Pollyanna and they want ratings but can’t they have a show where  they like each other……somewhat? 

They can and they should.  It doesn't have to be so acrimonious.  And for the record other than Meghan the other co hosts seem to like each other.  If they don't they aren't letting that bleed onto the show.

For every viewer who tunes into to see a train wreck how many viewers tune out because it is a train wreck?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

For every viewer who tunes into to see a train wreck how many viewers tune out because it is a train wreck?

I know that powers that be won't care as I'm Canadian and I guess my viewership doesn't count but I am one viewer who was a regular watcher until MM came along.  The all too brief maternity leave was what brought me back to the show and I pretty much stopped watching once she was back.  When I did watch I had the mute button handy for when she spoke, and spoke, and spoke.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Apparently much less than those tuning in.

If those tuning out had any impact at all, the show wouldn't be the #1 Daytime News Talk Show for the 2020-21 season, and they wouldn't be seeing their best ratings in 24 seasons. 

55 minutes ago, tableau vivant said:

If those tuning out had any impact at all, the show wouldn't be the #1 Daytime News Talk Show for the 2020-21 season, and they wouldn't be seeing their best ratings in 24 seasons. 

totally agree.  It is all about ratings.  If it weren't, things would change.  At least that is my opinion!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tableau vivant said:

Possibly true - but are those tuning in doing so because of MM and the toxic attitude she displayed during her time on the show?  If it's her then time will tell and the ratings will drop.  I don't think we can say with any real certainty that the good ratings are because people are watching MM because they like her or alternatively because they are hatewatching because they despise her and want to see what she's going to say next. 

Edited by WinnieWinkle