Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

On 12/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

Looking at the shows they chose to re-run, I have the feeling I was right to resign myself to the people behind-the-scenes picking someone argumentative for the fifth seat;

That's what I've been afraid would happen.  I could almost live with argumentative if it was just the personality but we all know if they go with argumentative it's going to be because they want to keep the focus squarely on politics.  I just can't go back to a View where every single thing that gets discussed has to be turned into a political discussion (well not discussion - rant really).  It was too exhausting.  If they go that route I'm out,

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

the report I see floating around is that she is being "sidelined" as sideline reporter because of her comments about Kaepernick made on The View.

What did she say that was so egregious to merit being dismissed?

• Love 1

No, I don't read the Primetimer articles because whoever the writer is is a McCain shill. *shudder*  I did like when that person (and every other McCain fan out there) threatened that the next co-host would be worse because they were angry their fav had finally got the boot. That is not possible, lol. Nobody is going to be nuts like McCain and make every discussion into a personal drama; the worst we'll end up with is someone like Hasselbeck, who, while pretty bad herself, was at least bearable--for me anyway. As long as the other co-hosts are allowed to counter the lies or misinformation directly, something they weren't allowed to do with McCain, then I'm fine.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, deirdra said:

and Mia Love doesn't know the difference between Virginia and West Virginia.

As someone who lives in West Virginia I should have been surprised by that but I wasn't.  There are a lot of people who think we are western Virginia.  

I'm not usually one to rant against the media but the CNN anchor should have corrected  her or at the very least told the audience she mistakenly referred to West Virginia as Virginia.  But sadly maybe he didn't realize it was two different states either. 

My impression of Love when she was on the View was that she was only interested in knowing what she already knew.  So while she might have been familiar with Virginia having served in Congress and presumably lived in that metropolitan area which includes part of Virginia  she was probably unaware of West Virginia.  Or maybe she just didn't pay attention in geography class. Or ever seen a list of states.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

As someone who lives in West Virginia I should have been surprised by that but I wasn't.  There are a lot of people who think we are western Virginia.  

I'm not usually one to rant against the media but the CNN anchor should have corrected  her or at the very least told the audience she mistakenly referred to West Virginia as Virginia.  But sadly maybe he didn't realize it was two different states either. 

My impression of Love when she was on the View was that she was only interested in knowing what she already knew.  So while she might have been familiar with Virginia having served in Congress and presumably lived in that metropolitan area which includes part of Virginia  she was probably unaware of West Virginia.  Or maybe she just didn't pay attention in geography class. Or ever seen a list of states.  

yeah i can dig that too.  Had the same issues to this day still do the same thing. I was born and raised the farthest west, next step is either over a Falls, of down a dam. Any time you hear about a town thats not local NYC,  they are 'Up State'. Always always always.  When it would happen w/i my earshot, i would say Western NY.  I did eventually got a few to acknowledge it. shrug.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2021 at 11:46 AM, Teriacky said:

I must say, this show has been so enjoyable now that She Who Must Not Be Named has packed up all of her Daddy issues and hit the road. 

Yeah i agree.  I've been liking it more and disliking it less.  For a long long time that was the reverse.  There's a lot of pressure on this next co-host.   

• Love 3
On 12/23/2021 at 11:21 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

No, I don't read the Primetimer articles because whoever the writer is is a McCain shill. *shudder*  I did like when that person (and every other McCain fan out there) threatened that the next co-host would be worse because they were angry their fav had finally got the boot. That is not possible, lol. Nobody is going to be nuts like McCain and make every discussion into a personal drama; the worst we'll end up with is someone like Hasselbeck, who, while pretty bad herself, was at least bearable--for me anyway. As long as the other co-hosts are allowed to counter the lies or misinformation directly, something they weren't allowed to do with McCain, then I'm fine.

I still think they should be on like a 6 month probation period.  That would be long enough to discern how the future would go.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The article said ABC's market research says people like to see the cohosts spar.  I would like to know are these regular viewers or just random people who were asked what they wanted to see.  I don't want to see sparring.  I want to see calm rational debates.   

I fear SWSNBN has ruined the show.  Anyone who sits in that chair the suits will compare her to MM and unless she is a screaming banshee she will pale in comparison.  

They are going all out to find a conservative so if one of the existing cohosts were to leave will they make it a point to find a progressive?

2 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The article said ABC's market research says people like to see the cohosts spar.  I would like to know are these regular viewers or just random people who were asked what they wanted to see.  I don't want to see sparring.  I want to see calm rational debates.   

I fear SWSNBN has ruined the show.  Anyone who sits in that chair the suits will compare her to MM and unless she is a screaming banshee she will pale in comparison.  

They are going all out to find a conservative so if one of the existing cohosts were to leave will they make it a point to find a progressive?

I'm curious too. I do not enjoy seeing the women spar. It stars my day off with a negative energy. I do like the calm debates. This might be unpopular here, but I actually love hearing other perspectives. If a political figure I can't stand is doing good, I want to hear about it. The women more or less agreeing on everything would be a snooze fest, but I love a good discussion. 

As long as the show is going to be so political, my ideal panel would include both a conservative and a progressive. I want to hear from everyone! 

I'm not sure Lisa Ling is the best choice, but I do like her. I remember she was intelligent and likable. 

• Love 7

as much as everyone dislikes the options the View has to pick a conservative and they have to pick someone who is strong in their opinions and going to counter the consensus view. otherwise I don't think ABC news can justify the show especially in the news division if its just a panel of all Biden voting centrist and left of center folks. either that or they go back to majority fluff topics. yes their ratings are great now but things can change very quickly in this environment. If either Whoopi or joy are ever to leave and they don't have an already in place solid panel then this will just be 2006-07 or 2013-2014 over again.

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

as much as everyone dislikes the options the View has to pick a conservative and they have to pick someone who is strong in their opinions and going to counter the consensus view. otherwise I don't think ABC news can justify the show especially in the news division if its just a panel of all Biden voting centrist and left of center folks. either that or they go back to majority fluff topics. yes their ratings are great now but things can change very quickly in this environment. If either Whoopi or joy are ever to leave and they don't have an already in place solid panel then this will just be 2006-07 or 2013-2014 over again.

Bingo. That's my biggest criticism of the show right now. The women's views may not all be exactly the same, but the most left and most right hosts all voted for the same person. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Bingo. That's my biggest criticism of the show right now. The women's views may not all be exactly the same, but the most left and most right hosts all voted for the same person. 

the producers also don't help by not choosing more topics that really bring out the differences in opinion of Sara, Sunny, Joy and Whoopi. we all know they do have a lot of differing opinions but if you just focus on 2020 election, if republicans are batshit, January 6, and covid vaccines. well we all know where all 5 stand on those and its all pretty similar (which fair enough those are the correct views but there's a lot more going on in the world than those too)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

the producers also don't help by not choosing more topics that really bring out the differences in opinion of Sara, Sunny, Joy and Whoopi. we all know they do have a lot of differing opinions but if you just focus on 2020 election, if republicans are batshit, January 6, and covid vaccines. well we all know where all 5 stand on those and its all pretty similar (which fair enough those are the correct views but there's a lot more going on in the world than those too)

Also good points! Wish you worked for The View!

1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Are we surprised. The ratings soar during heated times on the show throughout the years. 

As far as new Republican co-host....Maybe they need to bring back a past one. Though its pretty sad that its this hard to find a level headed person who fits their basic points. 

• Love 1

Actually, I think the producers have been doing a pretty good job this season picking topics where the current co-hosts disagree with one another; at least Sara and Sunny are disagreeing with the rest pretty often to me. I think they've been doing that to compensate for the lack of a conservative co-host for the time being.

Anyway, the show was randomly moved to ABC News sometime after Barbara left although it never belonged in ABC News. But I don't think ABC needs to justify the show's existence as long as the ratings are good. That's the only reason any show continues to exist.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

But Trump was on the ballot twice. The choice has not been between left and right, it's been between left and insanity.

I thought Gretchen Carlson did a good job.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Sue in her 60s said:

But Trump was on the ballot twice. The choice has not been between left and right, it's been between left and insanity.

I thought Gretchen Carlson did a good job.

There were others the women could have supported before it got down to the two. I also honestly don't mind someone who votes a certain way so long as they're respectful. That was my biggest issue with MM, contrary to what she'd think. It wasn't her politics. I wish I could say more, but don't want to break board rules. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

'm curious too. I do not enjoy seeing the women spar. It stars my day off with a negative energy. I do like the calm debates. This might be unpopular here, but I actually love hearing other perspectives. If a political figure I can't stand is doing good, I want to hear about it. The women more or less agreeing on everything would be a snooze fest, but I love a good discussion. 

As long as the show is going to be so political, my ideal panel would include both a conservative and a progressive. I want to hear from everyone! 

Totally agree. Ideally, the panel should be balanced. Ok, I realize you can't have an equal number of 5, but I'd be happy with at least 2 reps to keep the conversations interesting. Because like you, I find it interesting to hear ALL perspectives.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's been said before here, the women currently on the panel do have varying opinions and not all of them are strong liberals.  Whoopi is definitely fiscally conservative, Sunny has a conservative streak wrt family values, and Sara is pretty moderate politically.  Joy is the only true liberal.  (And Ana of course calls herself both a Conservative and a Republican.)

The Yahoo homepage had a story linked that said the producers deny having trouble trying  to replace SWSNBN.  I didn't read it but was thinking that the only difficulty would be trying to avoid making the mistake of hiring someone like her again.  They have to find someone who can debate an issue without screeching or pouting.

• Love 4

If they are having trouble finding someone to replace SWSNBN it's because they are looking for someone that doesn't exist.  They want someone that is going to cause sparks. But doesn't alienate the other cohosts or the audience. And oh yeah it would be great if they brought in new viewers.  How about they just hire the person that clicks with the other cohosts?  Can articulate her views in a manner that doesn't involve rolling her eyes or calling anyone a bitch.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

It's been said before here, the women currently on the panel do have varying opinions and not all of them are strong liberals.  Whoopi is definitely fiscally conservative, Sunny has a conservative streak wrt family values, and Sara is pretty moderate politically.  Joy is the only true liberal.  (And Ana of course calls herself both a Conservative and a Republican.)

The Yahoo homepage had a story linked that said the producers deny having trouble trying  to replace SWSNBN.  I didn't read it but was thinking that the only difficulty would be trying to avoid making the mistake of hiring someone like her again.  They have to find someone who can debate an issue without screeching or pouting.

yep fully agree. my point was without a doubt Sunny, Joy and Whoopi are all very partisan Democrats despite their differing views on other topics, and a lot of the topics are just Dem Vs Republican so there doesn't end up being much disagreement. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

yep fully agree. my point was without a doubt Sunny, Joy and Whoopi are all very partisan Democrats despite their differing views on other topics, and a lot of the topics are just Dem Vs Republican so there doesn't end up being much disagreement. 

I disagree. Just a couple of weeks ago, there was a big divide between Sunny and Whoopi & Joy over Biden and Haitian immigrants. And going back to 2020, only Sunny of all five women on the show at the time (including McCain) openly supported a candidate other than Biden (Kamala Harris).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've said this so many times but I'm going to say it again.  I much preferred the View when they hired cohosts without their political beliefs being top consideration.  I know there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle but this show was more enjoyable (for me) when it wasn't trying to be Crossfire, the daytime version.  

• Love 13

wonder if the rumor they offered Kat Timpf the job and she refused it were true. Not totally understanding why they have limited their pool of conservative hosts to Fox News hosts? Especially given the person who created the right wing chair and lasted 10 years was picked from Survivor lol. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

random but seeing the Lisa Ling return as guest co host. Kind of wish the View would make her their special correspondent or something like she was for the Oprah Show. I know she was never a fan of the talk show format for her career and loves being in the field so Idk why a role where she could go cool places for the show, visit every Friday or every month with a new report and just be able to expose the shows audience to things she thinks are interesting. Would also help build the shows diversity!

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

random but seeing the Lisa Ling return as guest co host. Kind of wish the View would make her their special correspondent or something like she had for the Oprah Show. I know she was never a fan of the talk show format for her career and loves being in the field so Idk why a role where she could go cool places for the show, visit every Friday or every month with a new report and just be able to expose the shows audience to things she thinks are interesting. Would also help build the shows diversity!

I love this idea!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

random but seeing the Lisa Ling return as guest co host. Kind of wish the View would make her their special correspondent or something like she had for the Oprah Show. I know she was never a fan of the talk show format for her career and loves being in the field so Idk why a role where she could go cool places for the show, visit every Friday or every month with a new report and just be able to expose the shows audience to things she thinks are interesting. Would also help build the shows diversity!

Great idea! The view doesn't need to be limited to a panel sitting there 4 or 5 days a week. Having a regular who does special weekly features would please me. It could be more magazine-like. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

she could go cool places for the show, visit every Friday or every month with a new report and just be able to expose the shows audience to things she thinks are interesting. 

I'd like something like that.  The View had done this a few times in 2016 and 2017 with Clay Aiken going out in the field with a camera crew on certain topics, then sitting at the table for a discussion on what he's found and they'd show the tape.  (He was a long-time friend of The View, even before Meghan joined them.)  I remember once he interviewed people at a trump rally for them.  Sometimes Sunny would go with him.  I remember they both went once to a high school somewhere to interview students.  I think he did four or five segments for them. 

I'd love to see those kinds of segments come back.  Lisa Ling would be perfect for it.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 8

I just read Michele Tafoya is leaving NBC "for an undisclosed straight reporting role."  That doesn't sound like The View. 

I hate the way they always drag out these never-ending auditions for a new co-host.  Just hire someone, settle in and get on with it. Or, keep Ana as is and have four at the table full time with Ana appearing a few days a week as she does now.  It's not that complicated.

• Love 3