Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Never Going Back To Normal

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Will and Natalie battle for their lives after a car accident. An investigation is launched following the suspicious death of Cornelius Rhodes. Maggie receives life-changing news. Dr. Charles cuts his honeymoon short to tend to a patient.

To air 09/25/2019

The two medical stories and Maggie were the only positives about this episode. Everything else was crap. 

Abrams and Latham need to be focused on more, and Will, Natalie, and April need to go away. Connor was wasted, but I hope Choi will not be. The new doctor could be ok.

Honestly, we just need new writers. I dont know what it is about the Chicago shows, but I can only tolerate them for short periods because every single character becomes unlikable and the storylines are repetitive. The Dick Wolf shows today are nowhere near the quality of Dick Wolf shows of the 90s. 

End of rant lol. I dont know if I will watch this season, but I will probably at least follow along so that I can hopefully find something that doesnt annoy me. I really want to like this show again. It used to be my favorite Chicago show, but it just kept getting worse and worse. Binging ER also didnt help lol.

• Love 10

DING DONG THE BITCH IS DEAD!!

YAY!!  She was a raving psycho.  When it looked like she was about to be caught for killing Conor's Dad she slit her own throat.  I was so afraid they were going to save her. PHEW!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

That was the most underwhelming and unsatisfying sendoff/ending for Connor.  For me, they seemed to make it all about Ava rather than Connor; seemed like HER sendoff *sigh*   IMO, Bekker had almost more screen time and a more dramatic ending than deserved.   Yes, most on this board, including myself, wanted to see her gone; however, it could have been a simple statement that they found evidence Ava killed him, was in prison and committed suicide there.   Now Connor feels guilty and like a failure--not being able to save his mother, father and now her.

Why couldn't they have devoted a bit more time to him saying goodbye, Robin being there with him, and them relocating somewhere to start over together, etc.  Instead, he says nothing to his friends and colleagues and walks out alone.   Not the send off for someone whose role had been so pivotal to the show and the primary star since S1.   Huge missed opportunity to do this right.

As far as the rest of the show:  Manstead & Phillip - who cares and please, not the tired amnesia trope, lies, misunderstandings, etc.   Chexton - again, who cares and was happy she wasn't pregnant.   Poor, put-upon suffering Maggie.  First kidney donor to a virtual stranger and now metastatic breast cancer.  I don't necessarily see her as this strong, indomitable woman but more of Maggie the martyr.   I understood her point but this IS the time you need supportive friends (she doesn't seem to have any real family except her "work" family).

Last comment - don't remember seeing that cutie pie Dr. Mercel (sp?) before; wonder if he'll become a regular part of the show now that Conner's departed?  How much more will we see of Dr. Latham?  What happens to the hybrid OR?    Sadly, now that CD has left, I don't have a burning desire to watch; it will be hit and miss and fairly easy not to tune in weekly.

Have to agree with another poster - the writing is just terrible.  I think after 20+ years of producing L & O, L&O, SVU, and this Chicago series, Dick Wolf needs to hang it up.  He's stayed too long at the party.   There's only so many stories to tell and there have been numerous medical shows on TV.   Chicago Med, imo,  was brilliant in the early seasons with a great ensemble cast; sadly it's gone the way of other shows that have simply run out of ideas.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, rhys said:

She cut her own  neck (carotid?) with a scalpel in front of Conor. I thought maybe he would get blamed.

4 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

DING DONG THE BITCH IS DEAD!!

YAY!!  She was a raving psycho.  When it looked like she was about to be caught for killing Conor's Dad she slit her own throat.  I was so afraid they were going to save her. PHEW!!

Goddam!  I knew the bitch was crazy.

Thanks, y'all!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

This show has taken a deep dive into really really bad melodrama.

The new doc seems okay (nice catch on the ring) but why is a surgeon doing ER duties?

Why does April need Choi to go to the pharmacy with her to get a pregnancy test? More to the point, why is she telling Choi before she knows for sure? She's taken the drama queen crown from Natalie. Shut up, Choi. This woman should not be a mother for a long time, if ever.

Why is a nurse telling the head of psychiatry that he can't admit a patient?

Good luck with that "I intend to keep on working" thing, Mags.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Jesus wept.......yes Ava was an awful character but holy crap the writers doubled down on the tired old 'crazy psycho woman' trope didn't they? They made her so batshit crazy she become a caricature villian, all she need was a moustache she could twirl. It seemed quite obvious they wrote her into a corner last season and the decision for her to leave was made after the filmed the finale so they just went 'fuck it'. 

I see the writing is still so sub-par it's hilarious....hey Natalie let me do a memory test...Do you know where you are?....In a hospital.....Do you recognise me?....yes....what sort of friggin' assessment is that? 

Will....still awful, he needs to drive over to PD pick up his obnoxious brother and disappear.

Connor from season 1 & 2 you'll be missed, Connor from last season...don't let the door hit you on the way out, glad they white hatted him in the end. 🙄

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Super pissed they wrote Dr Conor Rhoads out! Why couldn't it be Halstead and Manning instead?😡😡

I can't watch this show but like to come here for the snark. 

I know actors need their paycheck but I think that artistically speaking, the best thing that could happen to an actor is to just leave this clusterfuck. Hopefully the actor will get better challenges because if I were an actor I would not be proud to have this gig in my resume.

• Love 7

That was terrible. I don't care about Ava and am fine she's dead but everything about that scene was trash. 

I also don't get why Robin was not there for the continuation of the CeCe story not to mention she could've been there for Connor. What a terrible exit for Connor. The actor and character both deserved better.

Chexton was fine but the Will's Manstead angst was so meh. Poor Maggie. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, cathmed said:

For me, they seemed to make it all about Ava rather than Connor; seemed like HER sendoff *sigh*   IMO, Bekker had almost more screen time and a more dramatic ending than deserved.   Yes, most on this board, including myself, wanted to see her gone; however, it could have been a simple statement that they found evidence Ava killed him, was in prison and committed suicide there.   Now Connor feels guilty and like a failure--not being able to save his mother, father and now her.

There's a cynical part of me that thinks TPTB really wanted to make Ava happen during her years on the show and they were pissy that the character & her romance with Connor were both not well received by viewers and this is how they decided to handle it. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 7

Eva was set up to be a villain from the get go. The tip off was that she was from South Africa. Nothing about her character made sense or rang true. 

I expected Bruce Willis to break through the Window on a zip line and shoot her or something. Wasn’t this episode set at Christmas? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

There's a cynical part of me that thinks TPTB really wanted to make her Ava happen during her years on the show and they were pissy that the character & her romance with Connor were both not well received by viewers and this is how they decided to handle it. 

39 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Eva was set up to be a villain from the get go. The tip off was that she was from South Africa. Nothing about her character made sense or rang true.

They could have continued the theme of professional rivalry between Rhodes and Bekker, at least for a while longer. Maybe not the most compelling story but better than what they ended up doing. Why do female/male coworkers have to be romantically involved? Bekker's end was totally melodramatic and contrived.

With the two surgeons in the cardiothoracic unit gone I wonder if we'll still see Dr. Latham on this show. I think this show has done well with Dr. Latham and Dr. Abrams as recurring characters.

• Love 4

Did the writers for Passions write this episode? This Natalie/Will/crazy man, love triangle is beyond ridiculous. I’m more interested in Maggie’s breast cancer diagnosis and how she plans on hiding that from everyone. Goodbye Ava, you won’t be missed. Good bye Connor you’ve already been replaced with new eye candy. Speaking of which, who is this new doctor and can we keep him? He seems sweet with a bit of a bad boy edge. Chexton continues to be boring.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

By the time she realizes that she isn't engaged to the dude, she will most likely be pregnant and/or tied up somewhere where she can't escape.   The Chicago PD will swoop in to save the day with the help of Will's brother.

All of the above. It’s sad that we the viewers can write better storylines than the people being paid to write.

• Love 3

I also still want to know why a lot of Mekia Cox's scenes were cut in S4 and why they didn't bring Robin back to have her usher off Connor. Instead, they decided to kick Connor down and have him leave town a shell of himself. 

Just awful. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

They could have continued the theme of professional rivalry between Rhodes and Bekker, at least for a while longer. Maybe not the most compelling story but better than what they ended up doing.

Exactly. She came on a tough star surgical fellow but as soon as she got romantically involved with Connor, it all went downhill.

This show cannot write younger women. Natalie is a flake, Robin crazy, April an entitled narcissist, Maggie a martyr and Ava a psychopath. And the men, Will, Ethan and Connor, are wimps when they get involved with them.

Latham and Abramson come out the best, maybe because they are rarely on.

7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I wondered about that.  Is it solely up to Maggie as to whether she's able to keep on working?  

It depends on how she reacts to the treatment and what it is. I remember Dr. Robert Buckman talking about one of his patients who got his chemotherapy for prostate cancer on Friday afternoons so that he could recover over the weekend and go back to work on Monday.

It's possible that Maggie could take a couple of weeks of vacation time for the surgery and schedule around any other treatments. But more realistically, she's going to have to take longer off whether it's for the 2 months of radiation or 4 or 12 months of chemotherapy. (I was working on a thesis when I  got my diagnosis and I told my committee that I was going to take the term off. It ended up being 5 years before I thought that I was able to go back.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I've only seen the new Dr. Marcel on one thing before, and it's interesting to see what he actually looks like.  The previous role I'd seen was in Agents of Shield a couple of seasons ago, when they were stuck in the space and in the future, I think.  Dominic Rains played the emotionally immature Kree prince (or something like that) whose reign of terror they were under.  He had all blue skin, weird hair, and I think other alien-like features.

But what on God's green earth is this accent of Dr. Marcel's?  And I'd still way prefer Connor to the new doctor, but for Colin Donnell, I'm happy he's off the show so he can spend more time with his wife and find a better role.

I don't know if the writers' room is just phoning it all in, but it's extra disappointing to me to see this level of writing on a procedural show within a franchise that will get likely be renewed regardless of its quality.  Like they churn out a lot of garbage and just don't care because they don't have to be any better.

VIP of the episode for me was Dr. Latham. Second place VIP, in large part because I dislike what so many characters have become, was HANK!  That's right, Hank!  I saw you with the other nurses waiting anxiously for Manning's test results or whatever.  Apparently Hank has healed from that horrible waiting room accident from last season (that was him, right?) and he wasn't subjected to any Judgy Judgerson subplots with everyone's most open-minded doctor, Choi.  Third place VIP is Kathy Baker, who I will always love from Picket Fences.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Robin isn't crazy. Robin had a tumor and was treated for paraneoplastic syndrome, which we saw in S4 she had fully recovered from.

True, But they spent so many episodes showing that she was "crazy", including the bugs that give me nightmares, and little time with her well, that I forget it had a physical origin.

1 hour ago, sweetandsour said:

I don't know if the writers' room is just phoning it all in, but it's extra disappointing to me to see this level of writing on a procedural show within a franchise that will get likely be renewed regardless of its quality.  Like they churn out a lot of garbage and just don't care because they don't have to be any better

This.  The writing was so good in the first season. Now it's like they're trying to find new depths, and they will get renewed because the franchise needs 3 shows to make the night.

• Love 3

It does feel like they are out of ideas. This show has always felt like a weak soap opera with impossibly beautiful people, and weak storylines that always seemed to revolve around some staff member getting away with breathtaking unprofessional, unethical behavior because THEY decided what’s best.

Now, it’s just dull and uninspiring.

Id heard Connor and Ava were out, but was surprised to see they returned for a farewell episode. I too was surprised that Connor wasn’t blamed or at least investigated for her death. Even if they found that Eva was guilty, he could easily have snapped and cut her. Nothing? And leaving town almost suggests he’s running. I’d think Atwater would at least say, “heyyyy, wait a minute.”

I still think Eva could have been dialed back a couple ticks and been an interesting devious psychopath. Pure poor writing. And the new Doc knows the ring wasn’t on  Nats finger when she came in... and doesn’t tell anyone?

Interesting the little blonde antisocial Doc girl is still there. They thawed her out a bit, even being kind to RedHair. Are they going to do something with her?

I don’t have a lot of hope for this show. They have a chance to reset a bit with some new faces, but if the writing doesn’t improve its even worse than its ever been.

Edited by SG11
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SG11 said:

. And the new Doc knows the ring wasn’t on  Nats finger when she came in... and doesn’t tell anyone?

Interesting the little blonde antisocial Doc girl is still there. They thawed her out a bit, even being kind to RedHair. Are they going to do something with her?

Yeah, surely they will have him telling somebody about it next week, Or they just let the quasi-fiancé convince her that she really loves him when we all know the truth.  yup

I am worried they are going to let little blonde doc (Elsa, right?) become red's new love interest. That just won't work for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Yeah, surely they will have him telling somebody about it next week, Or they just let the quasi-fiancé convince her that she really loves him when we all know the truth.  yup

I am worried they are going to let little blonde doc (Elsa, right?) become red's new love interest. That just won't work for me.

Oh, I agree. I liked her character... her antisocial nature was interesting and felt authentic. She had all sorts of storylines. But a love interest for Red? God no. 

I liked the idea of him and the fed Agent... they seemed more suited for one another, much moreso than he and Nat “I’m terrifed the gun will jump out of the drawer and attack me.”

• Love 4

Looks like Dr. Charles lost some weight on break, he looks good.  One of the few characters I can tolerate anymore, the writers have ruined most of them.  And since when do nurses (all respect, my sister is one) let the parents know their son won't need surgery when the doctor is standing right there.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

They really need to shake up this show. How long are going to have to deal with two couples who are basically very unlikeable people dance around each other. They need fresh blood desperately.

And their solution was to get rid of Connor, who was one of the most popular characters before they hooked him up with Ava, and who had one of the most interesting relationships with Latham.

• Love 8

Where are the stories going to come from?

The hundredth breakup of April and Choi?

The hundredth breakup of Manning and Halstead?

April disobeys a Doctors orders because she knows she is right?

Manning disregards the law and her patients wishes because she knows better?

Seriously what’s the plan?

• Love 8
On 9/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, statsgirl said:

Why does April need Choi to go to the pharmacy with her to get a pregnancy test?

Why does April need to buy a pregnancy test?  She works in a hopital.  Pee in a cup and have it tested.  Also, pregnancy tests have false negatives ALL THE TIME.  Why rely on that when you can pee in a cup, walk down to the lab, and have them test it.  

Also is it physically possible to slice you're own carotid with a scalpel?  

• Useful 4

Or a blood test.

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

is it physically possible to slice you're own carotid with a scalpel?  

I'm not a doctor but I think you be able to cut deep and wide enough before you lost the ability to cut more.

You'd have to be seriously insane to do it out of the blue like that though.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

'm not a doctor but I think you be able to cut deep and wide enough

But with a scalpel?  I get with a knife, but a scalpel is so small, how much strength could you put on it to get deep enough.  (eh, I'm overthinking it, I'm just glad Dr Crazy Pants Marble Mouth is gone)!!!!

• Love 3

I do have to say I think it was really lazy writing with how they did the Ava character. When she was first introduced, she was only focused about herself and being the best surgeon, and didn't care about making friends, let alone a romantic relationship. And to see her character devolve from that to an obsessed ex-lover just makes no sense.

It's not that dissimilar from Chicago PD making a straight-and-narrow Dawson turn into a drug addict.

And the relationship drama as a whole has gotten pretty old on this show. Maybe stop trying to focus on being like Grey's and maybe try to follow the blueprint of ER or New Amsterdam, and have the medical case be the main focus.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, watcher1006 said:

They could have continued the theme of professional rivalry between Rhodes and Bekker, at least for a while longer. Maybe not the most compelling story but better than what they ended up doing. Why do female/male coworkers have to be romantically involved? Bekker's end was totally melodramatic and contrived.

With the two surgeons in the cardiothoracic unit gone I wonder if we'll still see Dr. Latham on this show. I think this show has done well with Dr. Latham and Dr. Abrams as recurring characters.

I ask that question all the time on all of these Chicago shows? Is it so damn hard to have them make an effort to find companionship outside of the workplace? That would mean that the relationship drama is outside the workplace and off the screen. An example would be Boden and Donna. They're married, and because she's not a regular, their drama doesn't bleed into the show. But you still recognize she's there. And Boden's character storylines center more about the Firehouse and their calls. 

Do we really need to hear about April and Choi possibly wanting to have kids? Or Will still being hung up on Natalie.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, icemiser69 said:

By the time she realizes that she isn't engaged to the dude, she will most likely be pregnant and/or tied up somewhere where she can't escape.   The Chicago PD will swoop in to save the day with the help of Will's brother.

My question is why didn't the new doctor just come in and tell her "That ring was not on your finger when you came in?" And Natalie should be able to put two and two together. Not to mention, as a doctor, she should realize already that protocol would be to remove the the jewelry of a patient when they're brought in. And she obviously couldn't have accepted his proposal and taken his ring after she was admitted because she was unconscious.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 4

I hadn't heard any rumors (and didn't care to investigate) about Conor and Ava leaving the show.  Anybody know why?  Do the actors have other gigs or did TPTB just decide it was time to move on?  It was a ridiculous ending to the two.  I forget, was Conor the one who was offered the Mayo job and didn't take it because he wanted to be with Ava?  Or was it the other way around?  Does this mean that Conor's real life wife the pathologist will be off the show as well?

I hate the fiancé and he is all creep with Natalie.  Slipping a ring on her finger and then telling her she can't remember because of the amnesia?  How pathetic and desperate is that?  What psycho would want that?  And if Natalie doesn't really want it, then why doesn't she say something?  She was going to tell Will that she loved him before the car accident, right?  I can't remember.  So even if she can't remember the car accident, why can't she remember her feelings in the hours/days before the accident?  This is going to be the most frustrating storyline of this early season I'm sure, at least for me.

April and Choi.  Bleecch.  How many times are we going to have to do this with these two?  So now Choi is disappointed that she wasn't pregnant?  But she isn't?

Maggie.  She has breast cancer yet somehow is going to hide it from her colleagues?  Guess she won't be needing chemotherapy then. 

New trauma surgeon.  What level is he?  Is he a fellow like Conor was?  I assume he now gets all the emergency trauma cases.

Why is the med student there again?  At least explain why she's doing yet another rotation in the ER.

Whatever happened to April's brother?  Wasn't he an ER resident as well?

Dr. Charles getting married again to his ex-wife.  Meh.  I couldn't care less.  Whatever happened to Robin? 

And can somebody refresh my memory what happened to Reese's father the psychopath?  Did he die?  Or did he recover from the heart attack and is locked up somewhere?

I'm getting too old as I can't remember anything from last season...

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Whatever happened to April's brother?  Wasn't he an ER resident as well?

I hope that he left to go to another hospital so April couldn't hover over his shoulder anymore.  He needs to get away from her. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

I hadn't heard any rumors (and didn't care to investigate) about Conor and Ava leaving the show.  Anybody know why?  Do the actors have other gigs or did TPTB just decide it was time to move on? 

And if Natalie doesn't really want it, then why doesn't she say something?  She was going to tell Will that she loved him before the car accident, right?  I can't remember.  So even if she can't remember the car accident, why can't she remember her feelings in the hours/days before the accident?

It was a show decision to get rid of Connor and Ava. (I don't mind Ava but I liked Connor.) Colin Donnell tweeted that it was a surprise. He's on Broadway in Almost Famous so hopefully he's got over his firing. (It was after he got dropped from Arrow that he met his wife.)

I assume that Natalie has anterograde amnesia from the accident, meaning that her memories got scrambled in the collision and she may never remember what went on just before it.

Reese's father died, Charles was implicated but I can't remember if he did it or not.

New doctor is probably a surgical resident since he was doing his oncology rotation when he met Mrs. Charles.

I have no idea why the blonde med student is still there. Maybe she's doing her residency now. Fine with me since the show hasn't ruined her yet. Maybe she and Latham can bond over their spectrum experiences.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I have no idea why the blonde med student is still there. Maybe she's doing her residency now. Fine with me since the show hasn't ruined her yet. Maybe she and Latham can bond over their spectrum experiences.

That would be interesting to see.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It was a show decision to get rid of Connor and Ava. (I don't mind Ava but I liked Connor.) Colin Donnell tweeted that it was a surprise. He's on Broadway in Almost Famous so hopefully he's got over his firing. (It was after he got dropped from Arrow that he met his wife.)

I assume that Natalie has anterograde amnesia from the accident, meaning that her memories got scrambled in the collision and she may never remember what went on just before it.

Reese's father died, Charles was implicated but I can't remember if he did it or not.

New doctor is probably a surgical resident since he was doing his oncology rotation when he met Mrs. Charles.

Charles didn't kill Reese's father, but she said she saw the look in his eyes that indicated he wanted to let him die, and that's why she could no longer work with him.

We still don't know why Rachel DiPillo left the show. There's been nothing reported and she hasn't done any interviews. She doesn't have any credits after Chicago Med. Maybe she retired from acting, but nothing indicates that. Or maybe she got the Sherry Stringfield treatment, and wanted to leave Med before her contract was up, and she can't work on anything until the contract expires.

• Love 1