Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Never Going Back To Normal

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I can only hope Natalie's amnesia includes the existence of Owen...

I don't have any medical credentials, but even I know you don't scoop up a person with a head injury, just letting their neck and head dangle. WTF, Will?

• Love 4
On 9/26/2019 at 5:22 AM, Guildford said:

Jesus wept.......yes Ava was an awful character but holy crap the writers doubled down on the tired old 'crazy psycho woman' trope didn't they? They made her so batshit crazy she become a caricature villian, all she need was a moustache she could twirl. It seemed quite obvious they wrote her into a corner last season and the decision for her to leave was made after the filmed the finale so they just went 'fuck it'.

I knew this was going to happen and it still pissed me off. They could've handled her character in so many different ways and they went with the most boring and obvious one. Don't get me wrong, I didn't much care for Ava one way or the other. But I was really hoping that the show would do a true twist and have it come out that she hadn't done anything wrong and it was Connor badly misreading everything. Oh well. I'll keep watching because, well, I'm an idiot. But I'll continue to not expect very much when it comes to actual storytelling.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, watcher1006 said:

They could have continued the theme of professional rivalry between Rhodes and Bekker, at least for a while longer. Maybe not the most compelling story but better than what they ended up doing. Why do female/male coworkers have to be romantically involved? Bekker's end was totally melodramatic and contrived.

With the two surgeons in the cardiothoracic unit gone I wonder if we'll still see Dr. Latham on this show. I think this show has done well with Dr. Latham and Dr. Abrams as recurring characters.

Well said and totally agree; thought they could have remained colleagues rather than romantic partners.  For me, there was never any chemistry or warmth between them from the beginning!

On 9/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, Chick2Chic said:

There's a cynical part of me that thinks TPTB really wanted to make Ava happen during her years on the show and they were pissy that the character & her romance with Connor were both not well received by viewers and this is how they decided to handle it. 

Yep and they definitely needed better writers as they're the ones that did a character assassination on Ava that made (most) of the fans vehemently dislike her and the "romance".

On 9/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, statsgirl said:

This show has taken a deep dive into really really bad melodrama.

The new doc seems okay (nice catch on the ring) but why is a surgeon doing ER duties?

Why does April need Choi to go to the pharmacy with her to get a pregnancy test? More to the point, why is she telling Choi before she knows for sure? She's taken the drama queen crown from Natalie. Shut up, Choi. This woman should not be a mother for a long time, if ever.

Why is a nurse telling the head of psychiatry that he can't admit a patient?

Good luck with that "I intend to keep on working" thing, Mags.

And it wasn't that long ago she was pregnant and about to marry the nice guy (former pro basketball player--can't think of his character name at the moment--Tate?).  She got all freaked out after she lost the baby, upset with him (who I didn't see did anything wrong but try to help) but NOW she's ready?!   Ms. Passive-Aggressive April:  I never saw the "love connection" between Chexton (he should have run back to Vicky; they made a much better couple with more in common) but it's only gotten worse--which I think most of us discussed, ad nauseum, on these boards for S2.     

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 3
On 9/26/2019 at 10:47 PM, sweetandsour said:

I've only seen the new Dr. Marcel on one thing before, and it's interesting to see what he actually looks like.  The previous role I'd seen was in Agents of Shield a couple of seasons ago, when they were stuck in the space and in the future, I think.  Dominic Rains played the emotionally immature Kree prince (or something like that) whose reign of terror they were under.  He had all blue skin, weird hair, and I think other alien-like features.

But what on God's green earth is this accent of Dr. Marcel's?  And I'd still way prefer Connor to the new doctor, but for Colin Donnell, I'm happy he's off the show so he can spend more time with his wife and find a better role.

I don't know if the writers' room is just phoning it all in, but it's extra disappointing to me to see this level of writing on a procedural show within a franchise that will get likely be renewed regardless of its quality.  Like they churn out a lot of garbage and just don't care because they don't have to be any better.

VIP of the episode for me was Dr. Latham. Second place VIP, in large part because I dislike what so many characters have become, was HANK!  That's right, Hank!  I saw you with the other nurses waiting anxiously for Manning's test results or whatever.  Apparently Hank has healed from that horrible waiting room accident from last season (that was him, right?) and he wasn't subjected to any Judgy Judgerson subplots with everyone's most open-minded doctor, Choi.  Third place VIP is Kathy Baker, who I will always love from Picket Fences.

THIS X's A MILLION!!!    Love Dr. Latham although I didn't care for him doubting Conner but redeemed himself in the end--going the extra mile to find out what really transpired.  And sorry, I can't even place Hank??!!

1 hour ago, cathmed said:

THIS X's A MILLION!!!    Love Dr. Latham although I didn't care for him doubting Conner but redeemed himself in the end--going the extra mile to find out what really transpired.  And sorry, I can't even place Hank??!!

I'd really rather they make Dr. Latham a regular since their two surgeons who were regulars have been written out.  I love Dr. Latham so much, but maybe Ato Essandoh doesn't want to be a regular (and who can blame him), and as a higher-up in surgery, he wouldn't be working in the ER regularly.  Even with the hybrid OR, mwahahaha.  So I guess we get this new guy Marcel instead.  Which I understand has the benefit of introducing a character with new traits, behaviors, beliefs, backstory, etc. and that can help keep conflicts, interactions, storylines, etc. fresh, BUT!  With this writing team, I'm thinking the actualization of fresh anything is limited.

I checked and I did get Hank mixed up with someone else when I referenced the waiting room accident, when the car crashed inside and trapped a hospital worker underneath it.  That was some worker named Don who was terribly injured.  That's the episode when April slid underneath the car with Don so she could keep pressure on a leg artery that was bleeding out and keep him alive while Severide and others worked to free him.  I mentally associate Don with Hank because both characters were treated to Choi's jolly brand of black and white thinking and very selective empathy (that only extends to April every now and then).  Choi had insisted that April get out from under the car in case it collapsed further, even though she insisted on staying and Don would die without her.  Because he only cares about her, but also doesn't care about her own agency and her own professional judgment.  He can take chances and put himself at risk when he feels it's right, but she can't.

Anyway!  Who is Hank?  He's a male nurse that may have always been in the background, I'm not sure, but was brought to the forefront in an episode last season.  An older man came in as a patient and it turned out that Hank recognized him, because he had been sexually assaulted by this man when Hank was a child (taking piano lessons or something?)  So Hank was PTSD'ing and all of the other nurses, including April, were flanking him in support and didn't want to treat him personally.  (Not that they didn't want him to be treated at all - they do know their professional obligations.)  Choi was being his usual Choi self, except even more so after the patient died and Choi found some used syringes in the room's trash, like the patient had been dosed with something that wasn't ordered and led to his death.  Then he suspects the nurses and April is like, I am not having your shit, today, and maybe not ever again.  Of course, Choi is wrong and I think he apologized later, but it's not all about you, Choi, especially after you've been a dick.

• Love 2
On 10/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, sweetandsour said:

I'd really rather they make Dr. Latham a regular since their two surgeons who were regulars have been written out.  I love Dr. Latham so much, but maybe Ato Essandoh doesn't want to be a regular (and who can blame him), and as a higher-up in surgery, he wouldn't be working in the ER regularly.  Even with the hybrid OR, mwahahaha.  So I guess we get this new guy Marcel instead.  Which I understand has the benefit of introducing a character with new traits, behaviors, beliefs, backstory, etc. and that can help keep conflicts, interactions, storylines, etc. fresh, BUT!  With this writing team, I'm thinking the actualization of fresh anything is limited.

I checked and I did get Hank mixed up with someone else when I referenced the waiting room accident, when the car crashed inside and trapped a hospital worker underneath it.  That was some worker named Don who was terribly injured.  That's the episode when April slid underneath the car with Don so she could keep pressure on a leg artery that was bleeding out and keep him alive while Severide and others worked to free him.  I mentally associate Don with Hank because both characters were treated to Choi's jolly brand of black and white thinking and very selective empathy (that only extends to April every now and then).  Choi had insisted that April get out from under the car in case it collapsed further, even though she insisted on staying and Don would die without her.  Because he only cares about her, but also doesn't care about her own agency and her own professional judgment.  He can take chances and put himself at risk when he feels it's right, but she can't.

Anyway!  Who is Hank?  He's a male nurse that may have always been in the background, I'm not sure, but was brought to the forefront in an episode last season.  An older man came in as a patient and it turned out that Hank recognized him, because he had been sexually assaulted by this man when Hank was a child (taking piano lessons or something?)  So Hank was PTSD'ing and all of the other nurses, including April, were flanking him in support and didn't want to treat him personally.  (Not that they didn't want him to be treated at all - they do know their professional obligations.)  Choi was being his usual Choi self, except even more so after the patient died and Choi found some used syringes in the room's trash, like the patient had been dosed with something that wasn't ordered and led to his death.  Then he suspects the nurses and April is like, I am not having your shit, today, and maybe not ever again.  Of course, Choi is wrong and I think he apologized later, but it's not all about you, Choi, especially after you've been a dick.

Yes, I remember the storyline with Hank (pedophile) now that you mentioned it.   Also remember the storyline with Chexton under the car.   Guess I just somewhat zone out when Chexton is the "main" storyline.

• Love 2

So, Connor just quit on the spot and walked out. No two-weeks notice or anything (it was the same day as Ava's death, right?)? No good-byes other than to Latham and Goodwin. That's such an insult to both the character and the actor.

• Love 1