Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Five Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Loved Steve's hair tonight.  Don't ever grease it down again, Steve. 

Great interview with Tom Hanks.  I was most fascinated by his story of getting Covid 19, what it was like for both he and his wife (same disease, but different symptoms).  And why am I not surprised that he's donating his plasma to help other people?  Oh yeah, it's Tom freakin' Hanks!

• Love 14

Why can't Stephen get a haircut?  I'm sure he could get someone to come to his house and do it outside.  It's not like he has a complicated hairstyle.  What are the rules in NY and NJ (where he lives)?   I can see the California hosts not being able to get cuts, but NY and NJ are more open now.

He looks so much better without all the product in his hair!

• Love 4

I don't know about NJ, but in NY the hair dressers are open for now.  They are going by appointment only and everyone is wearing masks. I however still don't trust it and haven't made an appointment to get my hair cut. Maybe Stephen feels the same? As for hiring someone to come to you, that is a lot of risk for the person even if it is done in the yard. 

• Love 4

Flowbees are still available to be purchased. All the comments about him needing a haircut made me think using one of these on the show could be entertaining...

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Great interview with Tom Hanks.  I was most fascinated by his story of getting Covid 19, what it was like for both he and his wife (same disease, but different symptoms).  And why am I not surprised that he's donating his plasma to help other people?  Oh yeah, it's Tom freakin' Hanks!

Yeah, I appreciate him opening up about what he and his wife dealt with. We could use more people who've been sick with this, or know people who have, publicly sharing their stories. It could be very educational and informative. 

I also liked him being all, "I'm not a doctor" when sharing some of the information regarding the virus and the plasma and so on that he's heard about :p. That's great that he's doing his part to try and help with this-here's hoping more good comes of that!

Agreed with everyone about Stephen's hair last night, too :). 

• Love 4
(edited)

I too liked hearing Tom Hank's tell his story about having it. I remember when I heard that him (and his wife) were sick, it suddenly felt real. I know it was serious before that but hearing about people getting it and hadn't been to China.  The fact that he is such a beloved actor also put a face to the disease. It is interesting how they seemed to have got sick at the same time but had very different symptoms. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4

I get it about not wanting to get a haircut right now, but for godsake, buzz off some of the back, at least. He's had a shaved head before-- it was a stunt when he did The Colbert Report-- and there are lots of other options more moderate than that, which he could do by himself or with help from a family member, other than slathering on that volume of product so you look like a sloppy oil slick.

I missed the first half of the show. Will try to find time to stream it later. I'm glad to hear Hanks is talking about his experience. I think it's very helpful to a lot of people, to get more of a feeling for what can happen between "nothing" and "death". I've seen a few prominent people talk about their own experiences, but not nearly as many as should, and no one as high profile and generally beloved as this.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm glad to hear Hanks is talking about his experience. I think it's very helpful to a lot of people, to get more of a feeling for what can happen between "nothing" and "death". I've seen a few prominent people talk about their own experiences, but not nearly as many as should, and no one as high profile and generally beloved as this.

I believe it was Stephen who said, back when Tom and Rita were diagnosed, "Hey, virus:  keep away from Tom Hanks -- he is a National Treasure."  Or words to that effect.  

• Love 7

During one of the last few shows** 
Stephen’s wife could be heard laughing at a couple of his jokes, which he then remarked on. Her laughter made them funny for me. Audience really does matter. 
_________
** I’ve been watching random YouTube bits a day or two later because I‘ve been getting up at dawn

• Love 6

I thought Jon Batiste's description of John Lewis as "he embodied the symptoms of holiness" was just the perfect epitaph for one of our greatest American heroes. 

• Love 16

I think I need a repeating gif of Stay Human drummer Joe Saylor effortlessly tossing his drumstick in the air and catching it literally without missing a beat. 
It would certainly improve my mood and decrease anxiety.

• Love 5

Why is Stephen Colbert off next week?  All the shows are repeats.  He just came back from a 2 week vacation 2 weeks ago and he's off again?  This doesn't make sense.  I expected him to take off some time around Labor Day, but  this is crazy!

19 minutes ago, Damaris56 said:

Why is Stephen Colbert off next week?  All the shows are repeats.  He just came back from a 2 week vacation 2 weeks ago and he's off again?  This doesn't make sense.  I expected him to take off some time around Labor Day, but  this is crazy!

He's off next two weeks.

At the end of the episode he said that he will no longer tape the show at home, but he also won't be going back to Ed Sullivan Theater. He didn't explain where they will tape it then. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raradra said:

He's off next two weeks.

At the end of the episode he said that he will no longer tape the show at home, but he also won't be going back to Ed Sullivan Theater. He didn't explain where they will tape it then. 

Last night Stephen asked Jon Batiste where he was. Jon said The Knickerbocker Music Center in Rhode Island. 
I wondered if that was a clue to the new venue? 

• Useful 4

The show has usually taken a week or two off around the Fourth of July, and in the past, it looks like they've taken two weeks off in late August - but in 2016 they took mid-August off. I'm guessing they planned to air during the time the conventions were scheduled.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wonder if he’ll sneak in a haircut? I was actually secretly hoping he would get in on Seth Meyers’ running joke, and the two of them could have a James Spader hair-off!

• Love 5

I hope Stephen doesn't get a haircut over this hiatus. I'm loving the fluffy, casual look. It dawned on me that when he wears the Joe Biden sunglasses, he's pretty much the spitting image of Steve Dallas from Bloom County. On whom, despite him being an asshole, I kinda had a crush on as a tween. Yes, a crush on a comic strip character. (Don't get me started on Cat Lord from the old D&D Monster Manual, mmm. Guess I have a type.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I wonder how these late-night programs are going to evolve with the pandemic.  Will they ever be able to return to a live audience?  Wait until there is a vaccine?  Try social-distancing in the audience?  How about guests?

I like Colbert and I have enjoyed when his wife is there with him, but the whole "home" thing is wearing thin, I think.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I wonder how these late-night programs are going to evolve with the pandemic.  Will they ever be able to return to a live audience?  Wait until there is a vaccine?  Try social-distancing in the audience?  How about guests?

I like Colbert and I have enjoyed when his wife is there with him, but the whole "home" thing is wearing thin, I think.

I think for sure it is wearing thin for him.  We are enjoying the "underproduced" shows from home.  they still get guests to appear.  For us, it makes everyone seem more - I don't know what the word is - relatable?

• Love 3

I'm enjoying the shows, too. I watch him, Meyers, and John Oliver, and I think they've all been handling the changes in how they do their shows pretty well overall. I'm honestly just glad they're still able to do their shows at all-it's made dealing with all the craziness going on a little easier and no doubt it's nice for them to be able to still do their jobs to some degree as well. 

I don't blame any of them for being anxious for the day when they can return to their studios and have a proper audience again and all that good stuff, though, yeah. That will definitely be a day to celebrate, whenever it finally happens. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

• Love 8

We're all challenged by the pandemic. I get tired of Stephen acting like it's such a burden for him to do the show from home. Grow up! You're so privileged to be ABLE to keep pulling that paycheck, just do the job and stop acting like it's some terrible slog.

Nobody likes the virus. But other hosts I watch (Trevor Noah, Seth Meyers, Samantha Bee) somehow manage to do the job without whining so much about it.

It's not just the late night hosts, either. The actual news is being done from many of the hosts homes, as well. And don't even get me started on parents of small children trying to work from home. Stephen has it so easy, his inability to suck it up is really irritating.

• Love 1

Stephen's just fine doing the show from home. No one should be inclined to believe he's "suffering" from it.

And I don't mind if he does it at home without an audience. I've grown in believing that they can be insufferable from time to time.

• Love 4

He did say he was done doing the show from home, though. He didn't say where he was going, but his last show before the break he said he would no longer be doing the show from the same location where he slept.

I don't actually care if he does it at home or not. I only object to him complaining about it.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

So many people across the country are staying home, but at this point feel pretty grumpy about it. I think Stephen expressing his own grumbles just further connects him with his audience, and makes clear that it's okay to choose to stay home but still be annoyed about it. This isn't a 60-minute, tightly-scripted procedural drama, it's a talk show, and looking at all the late night shows, there's always an element of "man, can you even believe this shit?" in how the host discusses the events of the day. This is no different--it is absolutely absurd that it's going on five months now and a large percentage of people are still having to work from home, and a lot of us feel that absurdity quite acutely.

• Love 8

It doesn't make any difference to me whether he's actually complaining or only pretending to complain. I find it annoying. Apparently some others experience it as a way he's bonding with others who are in quarantine, but I just wasn't getting that from it. I agree the situation is terrible, but the way he's been expressing that isn't working (for me).

I imagine being in the studio without an audience will be weird, as well. 2020 is not for the faint of heart.

• Love 2

Stephen just tweeted that he is in his office in the Ed Sullivan building. If he’s not going to tape in the theater I wonder if he’s going to tape in his office 

50E03AA9-8A6C-4516-87FB-5DDC995B4CA8.jpeg

On 8/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, Victor the Crab said:

That really isn't Stephen's problem.

None of our opinions are his problem. It only matters if it affects his ratings.

Does anyone know who Jon LaPook is? My listings say that's his only interviewee tonight.

None of our opinions are his problem. It only matters if it affects his ratings.

If that's the case, then he has nothing to worry about, if he did.

Looks as if Stephen has a green screen in his office.

Edited by Victor the Crab

It's so comforting to hear about these potential treatments and vaccines that are being tested right now, and how optimistic LaPook is about them as well. Just knowing there could be some kind of solution on the horizon at all is enough to make me feel a little better. Medical science and technology is truly amazing. 

• Love 4

I was glad that he explained the whole "two weeks" thing. It make sense that somehow who hasn't developed symptoms "yet" will get a negative test. Then a few days later may start spreading the virus. Maybe they should wait to test them and have the people quarantine assuming they came in either contact with someone or travelled. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

Did we know Bootsie was in the hospital?! 😧 I’m so glad she’s okay. 

😨😧😢 Not really "okay," despite her boundless spunk. 😞 ❤️🙏🤞💗

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

That was cool that he did it live yesterday. I assume that the interview and performance were pre-recorded. I doubt he was interviewing Susan Rice at midnight. But then again maybe he was as she probably stayed awake to watch the convention.  

• Love 2