Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

"They're in different professions.  They're different people" isn't exactly convincing.  The issue is about plot.  And this plot could almost fit the scenario other than the fact that the male lead in this broke up with Frankie because he didn't trust that there was nothing going on between her and Carl.

I could accept it here because we don't know these two or their love story. I'd have a harder time accepting that Travis did that. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Justaguest said:

This interview with the writer of both programs discusses it.
https://tvshowsace.com/2022/09/23/john-christian-plummer-hallmark-francesca-quinn-pi/

Thanks for this! I feel reassured!

I also want to say that I don't think this plot worked for me as the first installment of a potential series. I think my main issue was that the info dump at the start, followed by a time jump that significantly changed the characters' initial introductions was not only confusing, but also made it difficult to care. For instance, after touching on Francesca and Wyn's secret relationship in the intro, I had zero investment in Francesca's relationship with her murdered fiance, and felt nothing when he died. It would have worked better for me as a second installment, after I got to know main characters. And I'm sad that we missed out on seeing a full movie about her step-mother's murder spree. She was much more fun to watch than Francesca!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2022 at 11:11 PM, Cherpumple said:

I REALLY hope this is wrong, as Mystery 101 is my favorite HMM mystery series and I would hate to lose it. But if I squint, I guess I can see what they mean about the reworking of the script. After the weird intro in Francesca Quinn, the two leads were estranged (just like Travis and Amy at the end of their last movie), and I can see how the explanation for how it happened would have worked for 101.

What was the explanation? Not sure I want to watch based on all the comments, but am curious what it could be that could also work for Mystery 101.

56 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

What was the explanation? Not sure I want to watch based on all the comments, but am curious what it could be that could also work for Mystery 101.

If I remember the latest Mystery 101 movie, the flash forward revealed the dead person was Amy's fiance which meant that somewhere between the end of the previous mystery and the last few minutes of the show (fast forward in time) Travis and Amy split up and she got engaged to someone else.

And that's where this movie picks up.  Frankie has a former romantic partner who she broke up with and then got engaged to someone else--who ended up being the murder victim.  Others have a theory about who the murderer would have been that was replaced by the stepmother.

I enjoyed the Nikki and Nora: Sister Sleuths movie and I think I'd like more of them. I did have a fleeting guess about who the murderer was but then I thought it'd be too dark for Hallmark. 

Of course, the fact that it took everyone by surprise probably doesn't recommend the sisters too well as sleuths. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

If I remember the latest Mystery 101 movie, the flash forward revealed the dead person was Amy's fiance which meant that somewhere between the end of the previous mystery and the last few minutes of the show (fast forward in time) Travis and Amy split up and she got engaged to someone else.

And that's where this movie picks up.  Frankie has a former romantic partner who she broke up with and then got engaged to someone else--who ended up being the murder victim.  Others have a theory about who the murderer would have been that was replaced by the stepmother.

My DVR recorded the last few minutes of Mystery 101 before the Francesca Quinn movie. So I got the scene with Travis saying that Amy's fiancé had been killed and Amy standing there looking shocked. When I was watching Francesca Quinn and was totally confused (glad to see I wasn't the only one) I had a deja vu with Travis and Amy. At the time I thought it was because I had just seen that last scene of their movie, but now that I have read all of the posts here I see that the similarities weren't just a coincidence. I'm still hoping we get another Mystery 101 (maybe on GAC??) which wraps answers things better than Frankie Quinn did. I loved Travis and Amy and I hate that things ended that way.

Back to Francesca Quinn -- Have you ever watched a British series on PBS and felt that something was missing and then you watched the same series on BritBox or Acorn? You realize that PBS cut 5 minutes to make room for the Viking Cruise commercials. Without those the show makes much more sense because those 5 minutes added details that you needed to fit everything together. I watched Francesca Quinn feeling like vital pieces were missing and if I had them the whole movie would make sense to me. Why did the step-mother kill all of those people????? Why couldn't they just tell us????

Edited by ShelleySue
I changed Frankie to Francesca. I was a fan of Frankie Drake Mysteries.
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But did the movie explain WHY the lead broke up with the former romantic partner? That's what I don't see them being able to pull off on Mystery 101.  But maybe they will never return so it doesn't matter.

7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But did the movie explain WHY the lead broke up with the former romantic partner? That's what I don't see them being able to pull off on Mystery 101.  But maybe they will never return so it doesn't matter.

Sort of.

Frankie and Wyn were in a secret relationship. I have no idea why it was secret.  It's not like either was "the boss." Carl, Frankie's high school boyfriend, came back to town.  I guess Wyn was jealous even though Frankie swore they were just friends.  Eventually, that led to them splitting up.  After they broke up, she started dating Carl and then eventually got engaged.  

So it looks like it was basically Wyn not trusting her enough? They could have used the same reasoning for Amy and Travis but it'd be harder for us to believe since we know them more than we know Frankie and Wyn.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sort of.

Frankie and Wyn were in a secret relationship. I have no idea why it was secret.  It's not like either was "the boss." Carl, Frankie's high school boyfriend, came back to town.  I guess Wyn was jealous even though Frankie swore they were just friends.  Eventually, that led to them splitting up.  After they broke up, she started dating Carl and then eventually got engaged.  

So it looks like it was basically Wyn not trusting her enough? They could have used the same reasoning for Amy and Travis but it'd be harder for us to believe since we know them more than we know Frankie and Wyn.

Wyn not trusting her was helped along by the stepmom sending him notes that he thought were from Carl that made it sound like they had gotten together, which made things worse when he saw them having the drink together or whatever it was.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Wyn not trusting her was helped along by the stepmom sending him notes that he thought were from Carl that made it sound like they had gotten together, which made things worse when he saw them having the drink together or whatever it was.

I'm trying to figure out the timeline because no matter what I do it makes no sense. Frankie and Wyn work together and solve the case by figuring out that the step-mom was a murderer. During that time they were secretly a couple. Step-mom tries to impugn their credibility by making the relationship public.  She's convicted and goes to prison. Carl is back in town because he's writing a book about step-mom and the case (I think). To get revenge step-mom hatches a plan to break up Frankie and Wyn.  She sends notes to Wyn that look like they are from Carl.  So Wyn, not trusting Frankie, doesn't believe her when she says she still loves him and he breaks up with her. Do I have it all correct so far? Because here's the part I don't understand. There was supposedly a year between the case being solved and Carl being killed.  During that time all of this happened PLUS Frankie, being broken hearted, still in love with Wyn, started dating Carl and got engaged to Carl. She said she wasn't sure she was going to marry him.  But I can't wrap my head around how, in that short a period of time, she, while still loving Wyn, became engaged to Carl, She was supposed to be an intelligent woman.  She didn't seem like one of those old fashioned woman who believed she needed a man to support her -- she started her own PI company.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2022 at 7:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

Sort of.

Thanks for all the explanations, it sounds pretty convoluted. Not sure why a new series would make such a complex backstory (other than hearing the writer was recycling an idea that was originally meant for another show).

14 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I rarely watch this channel. When do new movies premiere? Is it Saturday like the regular channel?

Not usually.  Sometimes during the Christmas season.

This channel pretty regularly releases movies on Sundays.  Not as often as Hallmark does on Saturdays but pretty regularly.  They used to almost all be mysteries but they've cut back on the mysteries and now release more family/romantic/drama movies.

Last night, they aired Mid-Love Crisis with Terri Hatcher and James Tupper.

• Love 1

I watched Mid-Life Crisis and now I'm having one of my own. Why do I have to go to work every day  and these people talk about their jobs but never seem to go to them? I admit that I lost track of time because I thought that the girlfriend/fiancee and uncle/first love were coming for a weekend but it takes a lot longer than that to plan a birthday party like that. Teri Hatcher was a teacher but she never went to school. Her ex-husband was a doctor with a practice but seemed to be able to drop everything to go there when his daughter asked him. The uncle was had been in construction. Was he still working in construction? The only one who was working was the friend who was a child therapist, but seemed to always be walking to the café to get coffee or having enough time to analyze Teri Hatcher. Do I sound bitter? Maybe it's because I work everyday and haven't inherited a house on a lake. I can't just decide to retire so someone else can have my job. I'm not toothpick thin even while eating cake for breakfast, YIKES! Is there a child therapist I can talk to?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2022 at 8:48 AM, ShelleySue said:

I watched Mid-Life Crisis and now I'm having one of my own. Why do I have to go to work every day  and these people talk about their jobs but never seem to go to them? I admit that I lost track of time because I thought that the girlfriend/fiancee and uncle/first love were coming for a weekend but it takes a lot longer than that to plan a birthday party like that. Teri Hatcher was a teacher but she never went to school. Her ex-husband was a doctor with a practice but seemed to be able to drop everything to go there when his daughter asked him

Unless the plot of the movie centers around the leads' profession (high powered, big city attorney/ad exec/fashion designer - take your pick) who has to choose between a big promotion after only a year on the job at the ripe ol' age of 25 so they can afford their fabooosh, amenity filled apartment, designer satchel that's the size of Texas and a skin tight, spanx-lined wardrobe that smoooshes every bit of flesh down to...... dropping it all in their assistant's lap to go back to hometown of Sparkle & Shine, Middle of Nowhere - population 900 because their parents' Easter egg coloring business is about to go belly-up and they need to come up with a solution in time for the town's annual egg hunt in an historic park filled with maple trees, honey bees, hand carved benches, cobblestone walks and a fountain that spouts rainbow colored water - then we most likely have to assume they're working 'off screen'   (DANG - that was one loooooong sentence!)

Enter handsome, hot, muscular, six-pack ab'd, and - surprise, surprise - STILL single high school boyfriend who has been helping parents with the cost of eggs by donating whatever he can from the hens on his farm where his hot, single self lives all alone in a sprawling farmhouse with a wrap porch, state of the art kitchen and a barn where all the animals know not to poop in so that it stays pristine looking.  He does it all!  Tends the animals, mows 50 acres by hand, has a cute herding dog that rounds up the cattle and sheep, yet still has time to leisurely pop up in the lone coffee shop where he just happens to always be bumping into our feisty, big city exec who's trying miserably to get cell service to do exec things over the phone with abandoned assistant or update her social media page

I could go on and on, but I have to stop and stay on subject.

I wanted to try watching this, but as someone pointed out on the other HM thread - I am NOT buying Teri Hatcher's character as 49 when she's almost 60 IRL

Since there probably won't be any new mystery movies making an appearance until after the gluttonous orgy of Christmas movies being shoved down our throats, I've been enjoying some older ones that are still On Demand - Murder, She Baked, Crossword Mysteries, Fixer Upper Mysteries, Picture Perfect Mysteries and the SS&D movies.  I can't get into the Aurora Teegarden ones.  CCB and her awful beachy-waved wig bugs me

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Chitowngirl, thank you for posting that.  I was just trying to figure where to post a query about that movie.  I saw a commercial for it, but couldn’t remember what channel I was watching or the name of the movie.  It looked interesting.

Does anyone know if this is a series or a standalone? Or if this channel has other mystery movies? I've never watched (or really heard of) this channel, so I know nothing about them.

EDITED: I just took a look at their schedule, & they're showing a bunch of Mystery Woman movies today if anyone is interested.

Edited by GaT

Has there been any word of Hallmark launching a new mystery series? A movie called Model Home Mystery just finished filming in Vancouver with a producer Hallmark works with a lot.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:22 AM, Dani said:

Has there been any word of Hallmark launching a new mystery series? A movie called Model Home Mystery just finished filming in Vancouver with a producer Hallmark works with a lot.

I tried looking up the title on IMDB but can't find it.  Do we know the lead actress/actor?  Can possibly look up by their names

9 hours ago, ctlady said:

I tried looking up the title on IMDB but can't find it.  Do we know the lead actress/actor?  Can possibly look up by their names

No. The site only lists the title, filming dates and some production info. Nothing to identify. Something they will add the network after filming but this one doesn’t. With Hallmarks usually turnaround time we should no soon.

A second Curious Caterer movie is filming soon. 

So the first 2 movies in the Murder She Baked series are on Peacock...and after overlooking the finance issues (who gives out 3 cookies for $3, or offers product on the house on a whim).. I did see it was kind of cute.

It helps that Allison Sweeney is not the typical Hallmark preformer...imho.  She looks and acts like a human being (and I l loved her characters more low key wardrobe since she actually bakes in her business).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

According to my DVR, there is a Garage Sale Mysteries marathon on Sunday followed by a new mystery called Family History Mysteries: Buried Past at 6pm central time.

Edited by EVS
Bolding titles
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, EVS said:

My DVR is showing a Garage Sale Mystery marathon on Sunday followed by a new mystery called Family History Mysteries: Buried Past at 6pm central time.

Family History Mysteries is new, isn't it? I haven't heard of it before.

On 1/6/2023 at 3:35 PM, EVS said:

According to my DVR, there is a Garage Sale Mysteries marathon on Sunday followed by a new mystery called Family History Mysteries: Buried Past at 6pm central time.

The Family History Mystery movie looks good.  I had no idea they were airing it so early, though.  What a strange time to premier a new movie.

It's interesting they're doing a Garage Sale Mysteries marathon beforehand.  I wonder if this is HMM's way of testing the waters for the return of Lori Laughlin?  While I don't care for her one way or the other, I loved the rest of the cast of GSM and was disappointed they shuttered the series due to LL's criminal troubles.

As for Candace Cameron Bure, I won't miss her at all and wish HMM would just recast her and make more Aurora movies.  The only reason I watched those movies was for the other cast members.

• Like 4

I watched the Family History Mysteries movie, & was not impressed. There didn't seem to be much of a mystery, & the father's reasoning seemed stupid to me. Also, did he never hear of phones? Things you can call your family on when you're in the hospital to let them know where you are? No real chemistry between the leads either. If there's another I would probably watch because of a lack of mystery movies more than having any real interest.

On 1/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, GaT said:

I watched the Family History Mysteries movie, & was not impressed. There didn't seem to be much of a mystery, & the father's reasoning seemed stupid to me. Also, did he never hear of phones? Things you can call your family on when you're in the hospital to let them know where you are? No real chemistry between the leads either. If there's another I would probably watch because of a lack of mystery movies more than having any real interest.

I agree, not much mystery, more genealogical search, and not through typical sources (more internet gumshoe?). I thought the 3 leads (brothers and investigator friend) sold the story somewhat, and assistant, lab tech, sister, and investigator’s father were believable. Everyone else seemed alien (name your planet). And again, all these working class people live in sprawling mansions?? The premise was interesting, but they didn’t think enough of it to actually write a coherent story. If they intend this as a series (as it has a name), they’re going to have to get better writers. 

During this, another series was advertised for next weekend-Caterers? Is this the first, or has there been a previous movie?

On 1/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, GaT said:

I kind of liked it...a bit of a SSD vibe with a search to uncover things, rather than a straight-forward murder mystery.  But, yeah, the dad's reasoning was a bit skewed.  Did I miss it, or did they never say how long Esme (sp?) had known that guy before he finally asked her out?  And how obtuse was Sophie to not be able to figure out that Jackson was talking about her in his reminiscences?  I did kind of find it sweet that the kiss he gave her in the hospital was just on the cheek.

• Like 3

I finally saw the Francesca PI movie, having not realized back in 2022 that there were any new mysteries.  In addition to what everyone dissected, I couldn't figure out why Wyn was carrying Carl's books in the first place on his trip to Minneapolis(?).

On 10/3/2022 at 7:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

100%.  And maybe that's what John Christian Plummer was referring to when he finished writing it and then concluded that it wasn't Travis and Amy's story.  If Wyn really broke up with Frankie for that lack of trust, then if I were Frankie, I'd have a damn hard time getting back with him.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:27 PM, Mittengirl said:

She seemed to hate the cop, as well.

Yes, and that's what made it so jarring when the story went from her not even speaking to him (when him and that female cop/detective/partner came to her place) and being hostile, to all of a sudden after the break-in in her hotel room, she is joking/laughing/flirting with him in the hotel bar.

48 minutes ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Paul Campbell and Aimee Garcia to star in Hallmark Movies & Mysteries' new series, "The Cases of Mystery Lane."

I adore Paul Campbell and enjoyed Aimee on Luther, so I am stoked about this! I'm not sure what they mean by "series" though. Will this be the first movie in a mystery franchise, or will this be a weekly TV series like Good Witch was for a while? Either way, I am in. The premise sounds fun!

Hope they do a great job with this one!  Of course, love Paul Campbell in everything he does, and Aimee was so fantastic on Lucifer.  Fingers crossed for a good mystery series.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Paul Campbell and Aimee Garcia to star in Hallmark Movies & Mysteries' new series, "The Cases of Mystery Lane."

I adore Paul Campbell and enjoyed Aimee on Luther, so I am stoked about this! I'm not sure what they mean by "series" though. Will this be the first movie in a mystery franchise, or will this be a weekly TV series like Good Witch was for a while? Either way, I am in. The premise sounds fun!

I just saw Paul’s post for it and can’t wait.

It is filming now and is categorized as a tv movie. 

What is the problem with these set people, that they don’t know how a mailbox works? Every time a character in these movies is shown pulling mail out of a mailbox (on a post, at the road), the red flag is up. That would never happen. The carrier never raises the flag, only puts it down. The customer puts it up to indicate outgoing mail, that way the carrier knows to stop even if there’s no incoming mail that day. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The Curious Caterer: Grilling Season was pretty good.  But Goldy did something that I absolutely can't stand, and that is when people get mad at the detective because they are doing their job and considering everyone as a subject.  So I guess that all detectives are supposed to take the word of their close friends when they say that they "know" Suspect X can't possibly be the killer?  I bet that there are many killers whose current partners, ex-partners, kids, parents, etc. said the exact same thing.

But there is one thing I was wondering about.  When Goldy and the detective went to the cabin to tell her ex that his girlfriend had been killed, they were at a point in the conversation when I don't think they had told him yet how she was killed, yet he said something like, "I don't see how this is helping figure out why her grill exploded."  So I kept waiting the whole time for that to be a major clue and that it really would be him!

I did like this mystery better than the first one but that's pretty typical for the mystery movies for me.  I find them to be better once they're past the exposition.

I pretty much pegged the culprit early on even though I couldn't have predicted the motive. That came out of left field.

4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

The Curious Caterer: Grilling Season was pretty good.  But Goldy did something that I absolutely can't stand, and that is when people get mad at the detective because they are doing their job and considering everyone as a subject.  So I guess that all detectives are supposed to take the word of their close friends when they say that they "know" Suspect X can't possibly be the killer?  I bet that there are many killers whose current partners, ex-partners, kids, parents, etc. said the exact same thing.

But there is one thing I was wondering about.  When Goldy and the detective went to the cabin to tell her ex that his girlfriend had been killed, they were at a point in the conversation when I don't think they had told him yet how she was killed, yet he said something like, "I don't see how this is helping figure out why her grill exploded."  So I kept waiting the whole time for that to be a major clue and that it really would be him!

Overall I liked the movie and hey—Andrew Walker is always welcome. But they made the ex too nice and he and Goldy got along. I’ve read most of the books. I couldn’t remember most of the plots but the ex was a real jerk in the books, especially to Goldy. 
Also I didn’t realize this was the 2nd movie. The first one Curious Caterer: Dying For Chocolate will replay on Tues. 

7 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

But they made the ex too nice and he and Goldy got along. I’ve read most of the books. I couldn’t remember most of the plots but the ex was a real jerk in the books, especially to Goldy. 

I remember reading that but I'm glad they have Goldy and Richard get along.  Usually exes aren't seen on Hallmark or they want to get back together with their ex squeeze.

Plus, I like Lochlan Monroe so I'm glad he's not a bad guy here.

• Like 1

I saw a new movie tonight, Unexpected Grace. Michael Rady is aging nicely and he always gives a nuanced emotional performance.  I sobbed so many times through the movie, it was very heartfelt.  But in the last 10 minutes, it kind of fizzled to a neatly tied up but improbable ending.  It just came out of nowhere and there was no foundation for it.  Fairy dust just magically made it appear I guess.

• Like 2

Yeah.  I don't think it needed the romance part even though I like both of the stars of the movie.

My favorite part had to do with the advertisements for The Cases of Mystery Lane.  It looks like it'll be fun. Paul Campbell in glasses. And I think a pornstache disguise!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

I saw a new movie tonight, Unexpected Grace. Michael Rady is aging nicely and he always gives a nuanced emotional performance.  I sobbed so many times through the movie, it was very heartfelt.  But in the last 10 minutes, it kind of fizzled to a neatly tied up but improbable ending.  It just came out of nowhere and there was no foundation for it.  Fairy dust just magically made it appear I guess.

I completely agree!

I liked it SO much - the story, the actors, the acting - just my kind of movie! But when it jumped to "8 months later", I was scratching my head.  Even though I had watched intently, I figured something must've slipped by me that explained the ending.  Oh well...I enjoyed 98% of it, so I put it in the "win" column. 

1 hour ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I completely agree!

I liked it SO much - the story, the actors, the acting - just my kind of movie! But when it jumped to "8 months later", I was scratching my head.  Even though I had watched intently, I figured something must've slipped by me that explained the ending.  Oh well...I enjoyed 98% of it, so I put it in the "win" column. 

It was a good (but complicated) story, with all characters interacting with care, and well, grace (sorry). It started to stretch reality when the dad discovered his daughter had an adult “pen pal”. The rest of the story-seems like they want us to swallow Dad taking the job, Grace staying home with Noelle, Webb and Noelle funding the pediatric center. Problem is, ground breaking for construction (bringing Grace’s dad home) would happen YEARS later, not within 8 months. I don’t mind the fairytale, just that they wrapped it up in a Hallmark bow, ignoring reality. Moreover, honoring Grace’s mother went by the wayside. Better to have left it unresolved, with hints of what could be done.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 2

My issue with the construction wasn’t that it was only 8 months later, it was that up to that point no discussion about starting a charitable foundation, any fundraising, etc.  but magically they can all of a sudden build a $10m giant building.

• Like 2