Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Julia

• Start Topic

Pope grows suspicious of J when Angela reveals the circumstances of her disappearance. As the threats against Adrian loom larger, Deran scrambles to find a way out. Craig navigates new complications in his relationship with Renn. Janine takes on a different role in the crew’s latest heist as she plans for her future with Colin.

Airing Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Pope telling J to clean the entire house? Should have made Angela do it instead of going to the meeting.

The AA lady had the look of regret letting Angela share her story! I think she wanted a drink after hearing it.

I think the line of Pope being 40 and still living at home with mommy hit him the hardest!

Angela has some spooky eyes.

So it took Angela two episodes to figure out what J did to her?

The Smurf that want "nice" things for her unborn child, where did she go? Didn't take long for her to start smoking, drinking and eating twinkies during her pregnancy.

Felt bad for Deran when he was talking to Craig on the porch. I'm surprised he couldn't obtain the passports by himself.

The dumbass cop couldn't come up with a better plan to approach Smurf in the parking lot? His partner was still sitting in the car.

Now seeing how young Smurf was on the run and the babies soon to be born, I wonder if "Cody" is her real last name.

I'm curious to know how she got the house and who where the previous owners.

As soon as Adrian found out Smurf knew, his fear level went up 10 levels! Probably washed his mouth from that kiss she gave him last week.

Not a week or two. Deran with Adrian should be gone for good.

Interesting that Frankie thought of going to J first instead of Craig.

After the threat Pope gave J, I think he will be ready to handle Pope. He had that look in his eyes.

$1.39 for milk? Those were the days!

I hope Smurf takes some time to show Pope where daddy's buried.

I have a feeling Renn is going to abandon Craig and the baby. 

Who is Gia? Frankie mentioned J went to see this person.

I wouldn't mind a young Smurf/Jed flashback. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

The Smurf that want "nice" things for her unborn child, where did she go? Didn't take long for her to start smoking, drinking and eating twinkies during her pregnancy.

It was the late 70's and not a big deal at the time.

Felt bad for Deran when he was talking to Craig on the porch. I'm surprised he couldn't obtain the passports by himself.

I felt bad for Craig.  No one seems to give a shit that he has a kid and he's dying for someone to be excited about it for him.   I felt a little bad for Deran, because deep down he knows they will not be surfing away in the sunset together.

Still thinking Renn is going to split.  Craig has really stepped up!

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

It was the late 70's and not a big deal at the time.

You're right. I'm just surprised she even had a thought of having the best for her kid. 

• Love 2

I think young Smurf actually loved Pope and Julia’s father and losing him the way she did did something to her.  Oh she was never going to be the perfect mother having a guy she genuinely loved might have made a difference.  

I know people are hating on Angela but I really liked all the things she said in the nesting about Pope and then after to Pope about Julia.  Julia lived a coupe miles away and Pope never came to see her or rescue her.  I like what Pope said about Angela as well.  He liked having her around because she doesn’t lie to him like everyone else does.

Craig as a father is interesting considering Renn has little interest being s bother.

• Love 5

Why was this episode entitled Julia?  There was only the vaguest reference to her, excepting Angela's rant at the AA meeting.

I agree that there is a titanic battle shaping up between Pope and J.  Coldhearted cutthroat vs. devious sociopath.

Smurf and Colin pulling the fake hostage robbery.  Say, wait a minute...Smurf must have told Jay, years later, "This is foolproof, no problems."

I think the other two guys in young Smurf's crew may have gotten lucky there.  As he said, the police are looking for three guys and a pregnant woman in a green car.  Now Smurf's driving around in a green car with a dead body, and all they have to do is lay low.  She made it out, but it was very risky on her part.

Was Gia Smurf's fence?  I don't quite remember who J visited last episode, but I think he wanted to set himself up with someone.  Frankie played him quite well there, or maybe he played her.

4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The dumbass cop couldn't come up with a better plan to approach Smurf in the parking lot? His partner was still sitting in the car.

My usual response to those situations is, "he died in the service of the plot."

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Angela has some spooky eyes.

That's why I could never watch Emily Deschanel in Bones or anything else because her eyes spook me out, and they were really spooky last night.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Poor Deran; no way this is going turn out good for him and Adrian.

Maybe its just me but I find Craig hotter being a good Dad.

I think, if they manage to get out of the country, Deran will kill him, but they probably won't make it.

Ditto on Craig!  Thought the TV would catch on fire!🔥

Edited by SuzieQ
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I figured Smurf was a complete sociopath that didn’t have any feelings but she seemed truly distraught over his death.  Although maybe it was more of the fear of having a baby (2 babies but she doesn’t know that yet) on her own. 

I didn’t realize the actress that plays young Smurf is Vincent D’Onofrio’s daughter.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That's why I could never watch Emily Deschanel in Bones or anything else because her eyes spook me out, and they were really spooky last night.

I don’t know I feel the same way about the actor who plays Adrian.  There is just something about his face that....I don’t know.  I try not to judge too much because I really love the pairing.

I really loved the way the house was used this episode.   It is a nice house to raise a family.  I really do think she really did love  Collin.   He was “that guy” for her.  The one who let her be who she was and never judged or tried to change her.   I thinks Smurf spent her life trying to recapture that with men but never did and then with her boys but what she had with Collin was once in a lifetime.

if anything I think the Smurf backstory was used to show that she was capable of love at one point in her life.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Wow..It seems that the Flashback took over the entire show, even if it was interesting. Perhaps the Producers may b setting up a new show, with how the Cody's came about?

I am confused about Adrian...in the most recent show, he said he was going to take the 15 years, and now, thanks to Deran, take off to 'wherever"?

How times change...earlier Craig always took advice from Deran, now its the opposite? Deran doesn't  know how to get passports and Craig does?

2 more shows to go.

There will be the 5th season...they were renewed...

Stupid cop...making it obvious inside the store that he was suspicious and then comes out alone from the cops car.

1 hour ago, SuzieQ said:

I think, if they manage to get out of the country, Deran will kill him, but they probably won't make it.

Then why would Deran go all through the trouble getting false passports and then Kill Adrian? If that is his plan, which I doubt very much, why not let Pope kill him now?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, showme said:

So J is evil. I find him less and less likeable.

Smurf said J is smart, but I am not so sure. His EI is seriously lacking.

Jay is smart but he still has the arrogance of rookie. He's still fairly new to the game of crime even though his mom was a junkie and dealt with all sorts of criminal elements.  Frankie is the perfect the person to mentor Jay because she thinks things through a little more thoroughly.  Still wondering about her status-informant, undercover etc.

Pope has the upper hand on Jay now but Jay is smart enough to realize Pope is an emotional wreck/unstable and probably will exploit that. Jay to will use his mom or Pope's sister for leverage and influence. Also wonder what Pope will do once he finds out Angelina is an informant.

Did they ever say one of the reasons that law enforcement really wants the Smurf gang is that suspect her but have no proof of her killing or participating in the killing of the cop? Is a present day cop the partner? Now we know Smurf's business/in with Colin's brother. Still he buried the love of her life so why so bent on robbing him(as a sentimental favor to Colin?)

The other two guys in young Smurf gang. Have they appeared in the present?

Craig's in a tough position now because he realizes he has to grow up/change but his family life won't leave him which jeopardizes HIS family.

• Love 1

Well that explains why Smurf hates Pope and Julia.  I can see her “blaming” them for Collin’s death (in her mind it’s their fault because her pregnancy caused the altercation).  Twisted AF, but I can see how her mind would go there.  That flipped the switch for her, I think up to then she loved Collin as much as she was capable of loving anyone.  Now she’s dead inside.  

Add me to the Daddy Craig love fest.  I think (hope) maybe him and Baby Nick will be OK when Renn ghosts (yes, I am sticking to this)!

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 6

I do find it interesting that Smurf decided to still live in the place that she picked out for she & Colin to live in while she was pregnant. 

Poor Deran. I don't think this will end how it hopes it will end. 

J vs Pope is interesting. Pope seems to keep Angela around cause in some ways she's "honest" (I still think she's the real snitch) and IMO he's trying to atone for failing Julia by being there for Angela. Meanwhile he's treating that same twin sister he failed's son as an untrustworthy enemy. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, misstwpherecool said:

Manny and Jake?  IIRC, Manny's wake was in S2 + he's the one who made those tapes of past crimes and Jake is Craig's father. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, misstwpherecool said:

Jay is smart but he still has the arrogance of rookie. He's still fairly new to the game of crime even though his mom was a junkie and dealt with all sorts of criminal elements.  Frankie is the perfect the person to mentor Jay because she thinks things through a little more thoroughly.  Still wondering about her status-informant, undercover etc.

Pope has the upper hand on Jay now but Jay is smart enough to realize Pope is an emotional wreck/unstable and probably will exploit that. Jay to will use his mom or Pope's sister for leverage and influence. Also wonder what Pope will do once he finds out Angelina is an informant.

Did they ever say one of the reasons that law enforcement really wants the Smurf gang is that suspect her but have no proof of her killing or participating in the killing of the cop? Is a present day cop the partner? Now we know Smurf's business/in with Colin's brother. Still he buried the love of her life so why so bent on robbing him(as a sentimental favor to Colin?)

Craig's in a tough position now because he realizes he has to grow up/change but his family life won't leave him which jeopardizes HIS family.

With regard to the other two guys  in old gang....not sure about Jake...but yes… Manny was the old man dying out in desert couple seasons back (his son Marco hunted Smurf down brought her out but was killed by his own guy..Baz planted Smurf’s bullet in his head)

...And in my opinion… Smurf wants to take it out on the brother… Because of how he treated his wife and fought with Colin for protecting her...

The wife has passed away… Who knows we might find out that brother killed her..?....

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I do find it interesting that Smurf decided to still live in the place that she picked out for she & Colin to live in while she was pregnant. 

Poor Deran. I don't think this will end how it hopes it will end. 

J vs Pope is interesting. Pope seems to keep Angela around cause in some ways she's "honest" (I still think she's the real snitch) and IMO he's trying to atone for failing Julia by being there for Angela. Meanwhile he's treating that same twin sister he failed's son as an untrustworthy enemy. 

I totally agree she’s the snitch and  that will be revealed… Causing J and Pope to squash differences and to rally together for the fam

9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Javier?

9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Javier?

Yes..Javiaer...my bad...ty

• Love 1

Second episode without Ellen Barkin. I don't like what this portends. And again, I ask, if Smurf isn't even around, who exactly is having these flashbacks??

The Cody house re-styled to look mod 70s was pretty funny. That lighting fixture in the kitchen with the orange and lemon slices was hysterical. The view out the sliding glass doors showing there was no pool at the time looked very fake, though.

Why is 70s Smurf pregnant out to here and still unaware that she's carrying twins? Even if they didn't have sonograms back then, they had stethoscopes. The doctor would surely have heard two heartbeats. Or . . . has she never been to a doctor? I guess that's possible. 

It looks like they're setting up J and Pope to be adversaries. I have to wonder if they are taking their cue from the movie.

Who is Gia? Frankie mentioned J went to see this person.

She's the fence that Smurf used. 

Why was this episode entitled Julia?  There was only the vaguest reference to her, excepting Angela's rant at the AA meeting.

I wondered the same thing. I'd really like to see some flashbacks with Julia, instead of these tedious flashbacks with young Smurf.

Did they ever say one of the reasons that law enforcement really wants the Smurf gang is that suspect her but have no proof of her killing or participating in the killing of the cop?

Back in Season 1 it was established that the cops had spent years trying to pin the murder of Catherine's parents on the Codys. I think that's what really put them on their radar. And then, subsequently, all the various robberies that ensued (as well as those that preceded the murders, probably).

• Love 4

Pope and Julia were robbing while still in utero. Of course.

"Bro, please kill my lover for me. Please." Oy, these Codys.

Frankie has some stones showing up again. Any chance she's a snitch too?

Holey moley, Angela was coming at Pope hard. Risky for her since he could've easily snapped and just killed her to shut her up. He seems hooked on her though, for some odd reason. Guilt?

Yeah, when you've just committed a major robbery you probably don't want to go hang out at the local convenience store in broad daylight. And Pope's hair trigger temper is in his genes apparently.

You have to be solid, stone cold criminal when you're in your third trimester with twins, drawing guns on members of your own posse, and scramming in the getaway car while your dead baby daddy is riding shotgun.

Ohhhhh, Deran wanted Craig to get fake passports. I thought he wanted Craig to kill Adrian. Silly me.

So it took Angela two episodes to figure ou t what J did to her ?

Addicts generally don't think much beyond when and how they'll get their next fix. Plus Angela tends to believe she's smarter than everybody and that she's working them, not vice versa.

I'm curious to know how she got the house and who where the previous owners.

Placing bets now that they're buried under the pool.

Smurf's driving around in a green car with a dead body

Hope she stayed out of the HOV lane. Where I live you get a ticket for using a fake passenger so you can get to work or back home faster. Everyone in the vehicle has to be a live human. 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

J wants to be handed the keys to the kingdom even though he has been with the family only a couple of years.    He wants the brothers to just follow him because he says so.  I don’t think he understands why they don’t trust him.   They grew up with Baz and they had history with him which they just don’t have with J.  J needs to give them a reason to trust him which he resents having to do. 

• Love 2

Frankie has some stones showing up again. Any chance she's a snitch too?

Oh c'mon. Everybody can't be a snitch. 

J needs to give them a reason to trust him which he resents having to do. 

I think J's plan is to have an infrastructure in place that his uncles need after Smurf dies. We know he already owns at least 2 businesses for money laundering, he has taken over Pete's crew and told the fence he's in charge now. He appears to know way more about Smurf's operation than any of his uncles do. His maneuvering himself into a position where they have no choice but to go to him.

So it took Angela two episodes to figure out what J did to her ?

She knew what he was doing when he gave her too much money for the tacos then left it on the table with her. She's not stupid. She just tried to dismiss J's responsibility to Pope because she's been playing both sides. She keeps telling Pope he'll be in charge but she keeps going to J demanding that he find out about Smurf's will. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

J wants to be handed the keys to the kingdom even though he has been with the family only a couple of years.    He wants the brothers to just follow him because he says so.  I don’t think he understands why they don’t trust him.   They grew up with Baz and they had history with him which they just don’t have with J.  J needs to give them a reason to trust him which he resents having to do. 

Interesting points.  But I think J is more complicated than that. He initially didn’t want to be part of the family business at all. But Smurf pretty much forced him into it. And early on, Smurf and later J himself realized that he could see into the inner workings of their heists and that he had the intelligence to organize jobs. Before that, Baz was the heir apparent, but once Smurf couldn’t trust him, he was gone. Sure, he’s naive and inexperienced, but he’s got that cold-blooded Cody blood in his veins. Pope, Craig, and Deran, as much as I love them, are just the muscle—at least that’s what Smurf raised them to believe about themselves. 

I still don’t know what J’s end game is, however. Has he accepted a life of crime as his fate? I thought he’d realized that he doesn’t want this to be his life, which is why he started college. But now he’s making moves to take over for Smurf, so I have no idea. 

Jeez, has this show always been so bleak and depressing? Maybe it has been, but this season is the first time I’ve felt it. 

The only bright spot lately is Nick, but nobody seems happy about him except Craig. 

I agree with everyone who thinks Renn is going to split. She’s not even taking maternity leave from her drug dealing duties?

And Is Craig going to be willing to do a job with Frankie knowing that she cheated them the last time and knowing he has a newborn at home?

Poor Nick. 

• Love 5

"Hey, J!  Wanna go dig up your grandpa?"

With the title of the episode being "Julia", I thought we might learn why Smurf gave her that name.  Colin named Andrew - but Smurf always referred to the baby she was sure would be a girl, as "she" and "her".  It was sad to see her so concerned with this little girl's welfare, knowing how badly their relationship would turn out.

• Love 2

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Second episode without Ellen Barkin. I don't like what this portends. And again, I ask, if Smurf isn't even around, who exactly is having these flashbacks??

I wondered the same thing. I'd really like to see some flashbacks with Julia, instead of these tedious flashbacks with young Smurf.

Back in Season 1 it was established that the cops had spent years trying to pin the murder of Catherine's parents on the Codys. I think that's what really put them on their radar. And then, subsequently, all the various robberies that ensued (as well as those that preceded the murders, probably).

Barkin has been a significant absence this season and frankly I'm not minding it. I love so much of her work but her acting choices in AK have always seemed...odd?

I also would like more Julia history. I have really enjoyed this season but this was one episode I didn't care for. Maybe it's the actress playing YA Smurf, but I wasn't buying that she suddenly found love with Colin. He was a guy ready to detonate at any moment, Smurf didn't seem that invested in him unless it was to piss off the rest of the crew; the two of them would have imploded before the twins turned one month old (and yes why the hell is Smurf not aware she's having twins??).

I'm going to have to do a rewatch soon. There's so much I've forgotten about S1 & 2. And I'm still trying to figure out why they promoted Denis Leary so hard yet we seem to be stuck with Frankie forever.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

Interesting points.  But I think J is more complicated than that. He initially didn’t want to be part of the family business at all. But Smurf pretty much forced him into it. And early on, Smurf and later J himself realized that he could see into the inner workings of their heists and that he had the intelligence to organize jobs. Before that, Baz was the heir apparent, but once Smurf couldn’t trust him, he was gone. Sure, he’s naive and inexperienced, but he’s got that cold-blooded Cody blood in his veins. Pope, Craig, and Deran, as much as I love them, are just the muscle—at least that’s what Smurf raised them to believe about themselves. 

I still don’t know what J’s end game is, however. Has he accepted a life of crime as his fate? I thought he’d realized that he doesn’t want this to be his life, which is why he started college. But now he’s making moves to take over for Smurf, so I have no idea. 

I guess I've always thought of Pope, Craig and Derran as a direct result of being raised by Smurf (and not being a girl) but that J is actually the cold-blooded Cody. I always go back to our intro of him: unperturbed whilst sitting next to his mom's corpse. I get growing up with a junkie might provoke a different mindset, but J has always struck me as shrewd and cold like Baz and ruthless like grandma.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Barkin has been a significant absence this season and frankly I'm not minding it. I love so much of her work but her acting choices in AK have always seemed...odd?

I also would like more Julia history. I have really enjoyed this season but this was one episode I didn't care for. Maybe it's the actress playing YA Smurf, but I wasn't buying that she suddenly found love with Colin. He was a guy ready to detonate at any moment, Smurf didn't seem that invested in him unless it was to piss off the rest of the crew; the two of them would have imploded before the twins turned one month old (and yes why the hell is Smurf not aware she's having twins??).

I'm going to have to do a rewatch soon. There's so much I've forgotten about S1 & 2. And I'm still trying to figure out why they promoted Denis Leary so hard yet we seem to be stuck with Frankie forever.

I guess I've always thought of Pope, Craig and Derran as a direct result of being raised by Smurf (and not being a girl) but that J is actually the cold-blooded Cody. I always go back to our intro of him: unperturbed whilst sitting next to his mom's corpse. I get growing up with a junkie might provoke a different mindset, but J has always struck me as shrewd and cold like Baz and ruthless like grandma.

I personally miss Barkin. I don’t like Smurf, but I like what she brings to the show. The episodes, like the Cody boys themselves, seem scattered without Smurf’s presence. 

And in J’s defense, he said he’d seen his mom OD several times. He’d call 911, and she’d be fine after a shot of Narcan. It happened so often that he no longer got worried when she passed out. The pilot episode was the first time she died.   Obviously. 😐

I am tired of the flashback episodes, but I liked seeing their current house in the flashbacks. 

We learned a little about Julia tonight, but not enough. I find it incredibly sad that Smurf gave Julia “stacks” of money to stay away from the family. Why didn’t Smurf love Julia? I’m sure their problems began long before Julia became a drug addict. 

• Love 2
On 8/7/2019 at 1:01 AM, Texasmom1970 said:

Maybe its just me but I find Craig hotter being a good Dad.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this! The scene of him wrapping the baby like a burrito (shirtless!!) was pretty hot. I also think Ren is going to split. I wonder if he'll end up giving Nick to her mom if she does.

So is young Smurf going to stay at Klaus's house and deliver the babies there?

• Love 4

I was disappointed because I really wanted to learn at least some of Julia's backstory.

I was, however, unreasonably excited to see the dollhouse I had as a kid in the living room of the now-Smurf house!

2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this! The scene of him wrapping the baby like a burrito (shirtless!!) was pretty hot. I also think Ren is going to split. I wonder if he'll end up giving Nick to her mom if she does.

So is young Smurf going to stay at Klaus's house and deliver the babies there?

So THAT'S where I know him from!  And I just put it together with the fact that Ren named the baby Niklaus (or at least it sounded like that) so what I think will happen next is the vampires will descend on Oceanside.  Not the sparkly ones, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This is one of the problems about shows like these that last year after year, one forgets who's, who and etc and etc. Why not have the entire show new episode day after day for a week? But of course that is not possible, after all the network has to stretch out their time slots. In the good ole's days, they did it.

I see by reading comments here on this show that Deran's problem is playing second fiddle to the likes of Julia, Angela and the flashbacks. I find the Deran problem more interesting...what is this Cody man do in this situation. How far will he go? Does he divorce himself from this close knit family? Does he sell the bar that he has come to enjoy, the fruits and labor of it, also the independency? Inquiring minds would like to know.

21 hours ago, topanga said:

Jeez, has this show always been so bleak and depressing? Maybe it has been, but this season is the first time I’ve felt it. 

The only bright spot lately is Nick, but nobody seems happy about him except Craig. 

I agree with everyone who thinks Renn is going to split. She’s not even taking maternity leave from her drug dealing duties?

And Is Craig going to be willing to do a job with Frankie knowing that she cheated them the last time and knowing he has a newborn at home?

Poor Nick. 

Great post...I especially liked your thoughts on J.

IMO...through little choice of his own...became involved in family antics.  During the process… He actually grew to enjoy being part of a “family“...

Smurf...over time...has either told him or entrusted him to let him know he has the brains to take over...unlike his uncles...

J is also the ‘clean cut’ fam member who can sway ppl with an “innocence”...(which is important) to do the ‘clean’ work behind the jobs to prep and/or clean up....

He stumbled as lead on this last job due to lack of experience...but I feel he’s smart enough to realize the “Baz”position needed to be filled...

...Remember how Baz Was so good at buttering up the Nicky’s father? Luring him in with the muscle car interest?...and the guy ended up being part of the Camp Pendleton job?...clever...

besides...I believe he knows/believes Baz was his father...and somehow feels he needs to please him posthumously.

Edited by Shellbell59
Predictive text does it every time
  • Love 1

Craig being a daddy was pretty cute, but honestly, am I the only one effed up enough to be super turned on by Pope? I've had quite a soft spot for him since like the end of the second season, and maybe it's the risk of being smothered by a pillow during sex, but for such a strange character he's got this super sexy appeal. Or maybe it's just me...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah lots of bad times are on the horizon for the Cody Clan, but on the other hand, Craig as a dad? He is getting some serious DILF points this week. 

So that explains where Colin has been in the present day. I think that Smurf did love Colin, as much as she is capable of loving any person, he got her in a way that no one else did, he never judged her, and he respected and valued her brains and her moxy and not just her looks. When he died, I think the part of her that was capable of love died with him, and it really does add a real element of tragedy to the whole Cody saga. When Colin died, we can guess how we would close herself off to real unselfish love, which led to her being the horrible parent that she and Colin talked about never becoming, who treated her kids as pawns to be used for her benefit and not people to be loved. 

While Smurf is certainly going to Colin's brother to get the gold, I wonder if there is some tiny, long dormant romantic part of Smurf that wants to be near Colin as her life comes to an end. 

Poor Deran and Adrian, I would love it if they ran off together and left all of this behind and they could just surf into the sunset, but I dont see that happening. I dont think that Deran will kill Adrian, but I think that Smurf might if she finds out that Deran is about to make a break for it. I dont think she accepts family resignation letters for little things like asking her son to murder his boyfriend. 

Angela was really going full on crazy eyes during that NA meeting, like whoa. She was making Pope look like the rational one for a hot minute! It really is kind of wild thinking that Julia and J were just a few blocks away from the rest of the family, but because Smurf decreed it, there was little or no mixing between them, and Julia and her brothers all just kind of pretended that they the others didn't exist until she died and they got J.

So the final showdown will be between Smurf and J I am guessing. It would be pretty convenient for J if Craig and Deran both left (to raise their baby and be with his boyfriend, respectively) and Pope finally told Smurf to shove it right when he decides to strike.

• Love 3

This is one of the problems about shows like these that last year after year, one forgets who's, who and etc and etc. Why not have the entire show new episode day after day for a week? But of course that is not possible, after all the network has to stretch out their time slots. In the good ole's days, they did it.

I see by reading comments here on this show that Deran's problem is playing second fiddle to the likes of Julia, Angela and the flashbacks. I find the Deran problem more interesting...what is this Cody man do in this situation. How far will he go? Does he divorce himself from this close knit family? Does he sell the bar that he has come to enjoy, the fruits and labor of it, also the independency? Inquiring minds would like to know.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, iMonrey said:

The Cody house re-styled to look mod 70s was pretty funny. That lighting fixture in the kitchen with the orange and lemon slices was hysterical. The view out the sliding glass doors showing there was no pool at the time looked very fake, though.

Why is 70s Smurf pregnant out to here and still unaware that she's carrying twins? Even if they didn't have sonograms back then, they had stethoscopes. The doctor would surely have heard two heartbeats. Or . . . has she never been to a doctor? I guess that's possible. 

It looks like they're setting up J and Pope to be adversaries. I have to wonder if they are taking their cue from the movie.

She's the fence that Smurf used. 

Just because a show features flashbacks doesn't mean someone is HAVING flashbacks.  It's just a way to show the audience the past- for whatever reason.  I don't see how these flashbacks are really all that important.  I mean, I guess all this time was spent showing us the setup for their season-ending job.  But, they've mostly been snore-worthy. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, topanga said:

I personally miss Barkin. I don’t like Smurf, but I like what she brings to the show. The episodes, like the Cody boys themselves, seem scattered without Smurf’s presence. 

And in J’s defense, he said he’d seen his mom OD several times. He’d call 911, and she’d be fine after a shot of Narcan. It happened so often that he no longer got worried when she passed out. The pilot episode was the first time she died.   Obviously. 😐

I am tired of the flashback episodes, but I liked seeing their current house in the flashbacks. 

We learned a little about Julia tonight, but not enough. I find it incredibly sad that Smurf gave Julia “stacks” of money to stay away from the family. Why didn’t Smurf love Julia? I’m sure their problems began long before Julia became a drug addict. 

I don't like Barkin and I don't like Smurf.  I do see how she was important for us to understand why the Cody's are the way they are, but I don't agree with previous posts that she's needed.  If she died at the end of this season and there was another season without her I would totally be ok with that.  The person I miss the most is Baz.  Which, Scott Speedman was the sole reason I started watching this show. 

I don't think Smurf loved Julia because she seems to have no use for women at all.  She needs to be the only woman in the room. 

• Love 4

Just because a show features flashbacks doesn't mean someone is HAVING flashbacks.  It's just a way to show the audience the past- for whatever reason. 

I know but I still think it's dumb. I'm sick of the flashback gimmick as a narrative vehicle in any show or movie. Non-linear storytelling has become so commonplace it has lost all novelty. And these particular flashbacks have eaten up half the season for no good reason I can see.

I don't like Barkin and I don't like Smurf.  I do see how she was important for us to understand why the Cody's are the way they are, but I don't agree with previous posts that she's needed.  If she died at the end of this season and there was another season without her I would totally be ok with that.

Well I'd still watch but it wouldn't be the same kind of show. I've always considered Animal Kingdom to be a modern day variation on Ma Barker. And yes, Ma Barker is kind of key in that premise. You can go on doing a show about Ma Barker's boys after Ma Barker has passed on, but it's not the same story anymore. It's more of a sequel or spin-off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Just because a show features flashbacks doesn't mean someone is HAVING flashbacks. 

True, but, at least in the early flashbacks, when it returned to the present it was always a scene with Smurf.  I got the impression she was having those flashbacks.

I was watching the episode where Deran kills the blackmailer and he had told Pope that the guy he killed was the one that ratted to the cops, exonerating Adrain. It seemed that Pope believed it and helped bury the guy. My point is why wasn't this told to Smurf at that time? It could have been a good coverup for Adrain.

• Love 1

The back story has made Smurf more sympathetic, at least to me,  but if she is dying of cancer, this seems like an odd time for her to leave the show.  Maybe she is about to have a miraculous recovery?

On the other hand, if she is about to die at the scene where the love of her life is buried, maybe her death will have more resonance.

Edited by luckylou
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, iMonrey said:

I know but I still think it's dumb. I'm sick of the flashback gimmick as a narrative vehicle in any show or movie. Non-linear storytelling has become so commonplace it has lost all novelty. And these particular flashbacks have eaten up half the season for no good reason I can see.

Well I'd still watch but it wouldn't be the same kind of show. I've always considered Animal Kingdom to be a modern day variation on Ma Barker. And yes, Ma Barker is kind of key in that premise. You can go on doing a show about Ma Barker's boys after Ma Barker has passed on, but it's not the same story anymore. It's more of a sequel or spin-off.

Like your Ma Barker reference....and since the show is based on that real life Australian Pettingill family led by the mom...I get what you’re saying...

im no fan of Barkin either...always wondered what the oft mentioned sex appeal was about...after all Clooney hit it! 🤣

On 8/8/2019 at 10:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

Yeah lots of bad times are on the horizon for the Cody Clan, but on the other hand, Craig as a dad? He is getting some serious DILF points this week. 

So that explains where Colin has been in the present day. I think that Smurf did love Colin, as much as she is capable of loving any person, he got her in a way that no one else did, he never judged her, and he respected and valued her brains and her moxy and not just her looks. When he died, I think the part of her that was capable of love died with him, and it really does add a real element of tragedy to the whole Cody saga. When Colin died, we can guess how we would close herself off to real unselfish love, which led to her being the horrible parent that she and Colin talked about never becoming, who treated her kids as pawns to be used for her benefit and not people to be loved. 

While Smurf is certainly going to Colin's brother to get the gold, I wonder if there is some tiny, long dormant romantic part of Smurf that wants to be near Colin as her life comes to an end. 

Poor Deran and Adrian, I would love it if they ran off together and left all of this behind and they could just surf into the sunset, but I dont see that happening. I dont think that Deran will kill Adrian, but I think that Smurf might if she finds out that Deran is about to make a break for it. I dont think she accepts family resignation letters for little things like asking her son to murder his boyfriend. 

Angela was really going full on crazy eyes during that NA meeting, like whoa. She was making Pope look like the rational one for a hot minute! It really is kind of wild thinking that Julia and J were just a few blocks away from the rest of the family, but because Smurf decreed it, there was little or no mixing between them, and Julia and her brothers all just kind of pretended that they the others didn't exist until she died and they got J.

So the final showdown will be between Smurf and J I am guessing. It would be pretty convenient for J if Craig and Deran both left (to raise their baby and be with his boyfriend, respectively) and Pope finally told Smurf to shove it right when he decides to strike.

Crazy eyes Angela’s brother! 

BBD2E4E1-7509-44A2-AEB0-8C733A466589.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Shellbell59 said:

.always wondered what the oft mentioned sex appeal was about...after all Clooney hit it!

Check out The Big Easy with Dennis Quaid. Have to admit, they made a sexy pair in that one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

How come when Deran asked Craig to get 2 passports, that he did even ask why do u want two passports? Hey Bro, your thinking of leaving us? Nothing ...who writes these scenes? It would only be logical for Craig to ask his brother and yet he said nothing...just OK.

34 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Check out The Big Easy with Dennis Quaid. Have to admit, they made a sexy pair in that one.

Also Sea of Love with Al Pacino.  Unfortunately, like a lot of actresses when they turn 40, she looks like she had work done on her face, especially those lips.  

Also, when she was younger I don't remember seeing that weird posture and way of walking that she has now. 

• Love 3

I’m still fast forwarding through all the flashbacks, I just don’t have the patience nor do I care. When I read everyone's comments it’s like I watched a different show. 

I wish they would focus more on present day, Deren & Adrian, etc.

Come to think of it, I just realized Smurf and I have something in common - I just don’t care for the women in this show (I’m looking at you too Smurf, though I understand present day Smurf and she has a creepy albeit interesting dynamic with the guys.)

The other women in the show-I can do without-Frankie, Nikki, Mia, Angela, Renn.... 

On 8/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, Ohwell said:
On 8/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Also Sea of Love with Al Pacino.  Unfortunately, like a lot of actresses when they turn 40, she looks like she had work done on her face, especially those lips.  

Also, when she was younger I don't remember seeing that weird posture and way of walking that she has now. 

I agree with those 2 movies - she had real chemistry with Dennis Quaid and Al Pacino. I don’t think she’s conventionally pretty but she’s got that “certain something.”

Unfortunately, I too think she’s had too much work done and at times looks bizarre, especially her lips. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2019 at 9:31 PM, hookedontv said:

Unfortunately, I too think she’s had too much work done and at times looks bizarre, especially her lips. 

I agree with this and with the post up thread about Smurf's affected, slouchy, slow way of walking.  I didn't really notice that until she was in prison.  Maybe it was Actor's Choice or Director's Decision to make her seem intimidating?

Regarding Barkin's lips: she took a sip out of a bottle of beer an ep or two back and it literally took a couple of seconds for her to get those fish labia wrapped around the neck of the bottle.  I mean she was struggling.  They, like the rest of her face, are suspiciously immobile.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2