Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: On the Scent

(edited)

Holmes and Watson work to determine if a long dormant serial killer has resurfaced in the wake of a sculptor's murder in New York City. Also, Watson suspects Holmes is keeping something from her regarding tech billionaire Odin Reichenbach, on the 150th episode of Elementary.

Promo:

Original air date: 7/18/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I laughed for a good minute when Gregson seemed to actually be wondering if Bell was claiming that the dog was the suspect.  Considering everything he's witness these past few years, I guess a dog performing premeditated murder isn't that outlandish...

Glad that they already dropped the whole "Sherlock lying to Joan" bit, and she now knows that Odin has McNally in his pocket, and the NSA are compromised.  Wish she was a little more upset about it, but I guess at this point, it is smarter for them to move on and find some way to thwart him.  To his credit, Sherlock really did seem apologetic for it and sincere about being on the same page going forward.

Love that Sherlock/Joan's mailman knows all about Clyde, due to how much they talk about him.  He is the best turtle ever!

• Love 9

I missed the Clyde reference, I will have to rewatch with the captions on!

I’m also not totally clear as to who did what in the end - so the cartel’s lawyer dressed as the victim while her brother stole Ollie and committed the murder?

I did laugh early on at hearing Bell refer to the guy as “this knucklehead”, before he turned out to be the killer and not just a phone thief.  The B plot about the DNA was interesting with everyone involved.

I wonder how they will wrap up this Odin plot in the relatively few episodes they have left.  I agree that it’s good that Joan figured out that Sherlock was lying (albeit in an attempt to protect her), and he agreed not to do it again.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Love that Sherlock/Joan's mailman knows all about Clyde, due to how much they talk about him.  He is the best turtle ever!

That made me laugh, too. Pet owners do go on about their pets. (Guilty). 

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The guy working in the factory packing DNA test kits wasn't wearing gloves?

They said the guy was excessively sweaty so I would guess sweat from his forehead might drip onto the sterile cotton swabs.

What was the point of giving the dogs a steak?

They didn't really say how the lawyer's brother was connected to the marijuana cartel to find out about the shipment on the train. The lawyer is probably lucky she is so good at her job, since the cartel would probably kill her brother and her for stealing from them.

• Love 1

Now I just have this mental imagine of Sherlock and Joan whipping out their phones at every opportunity to show random strangers and acquaintances pictures of Clyde, along with adorable turtle based stories, like classic pet owners. “Now here’s Clyde dressed in a scarf for the first day of Autumn, here he is on top of the refrigerator...”

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, roseha said:

I did laugh early on at hearing Bell refer to the guy as “this knucklehead”, before he turned out to be the killer and not just a phone thief

I thought it was a sweet characterization of Bell that he used the descriptor "knucklehead" instead of the typical cop term of "dirt bag," but, now that you mention it, no doubt the writers were emphasizing that this seemingly was a minor criminal rather than a murderous mastermind.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Alistaire said:

Has anyone else noticed that Sherlock's hair and/or appearance has been kind of... unkempt? Last week in the "dad" episode, I thought the producers made him frumpy on purpose (I think unshaven, or otherwise tired-looking). But in this episode, his hair's moussed and sticking up off of his head. I don't understand why. 

Yes.  He looks terrible, like he's sick or something.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I'm guessing he must have had enough steaks to go around or else it would not have been possible to lure Ollie the German Shepherd away from the pack.

8 hours ago, roseha said:

I’m also not totally clear as to who did what in the end - so the cartel’s lawyer dressed as the victim while her brother stole Ollie and committed the murder?

Joan deduces:

I think we can narrow our scope and eliminate anyone who wasn't at least Caroline's size. So what about Danielle Olivera? I mean, she has the same build as Caroline's. Since she works for the Santiagos, she probably knows their shipping schedule. Maybe she double-crossed them. 

--which is a bit of a red herring of height, since many of the viewers will assume women are shorter than men, but Kate Shindle, who played OTB/drug smuggler lawyer Danielle Olivera, is 5'11" and Danny Binstock (who played the cell phone stealing, drug stealing brother) claims to be just 6'.
Danielle is further absolved of the murder by these lines:

We were just at Danielle's office. She's got all new furniture now. She said that she gave you all the old furniture after the upgrade. She told us that you went and picked it all up yourself.

. . . it might explain how you knew the Santiagos had a big shipment of pot coming in on a freight train yesterday. You knew what time the train would arrive, but you didn't know which car the weed would be in. So you abducted Ollie, a dog with a nose for cannabis. 

We know you heard about him from her, too. She was pretty cooperative once we told her what we thought you'd done. She said she'd never steal from the cartel

Speaking of red herrings, H!ITG! Carlos Gómez had his name in the opening credits.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Alistaire said:

. But last night's moussed hair-standing-on-end,

JLM's hair has been thinning for over a decade; "moussed hair-standing-on-end" is a technique used by both men and women with thinning hair.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I suspected the killer as soon as he claimed his dog bite came from an unprovoked golden retriever! Most goldens are total sweeties... come up with a better lie, dude.

I did too, but then they arrested him as a phone thief, so I figured he got bitten while stealing somebody's phone and dropped him as a suspect.

10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They didn't really say how the lawyer's brother was connected to the marijuana cartel to find out about the shipment on the train. The lawyer is probably lucky she is so good at her job, since the cartel would probably kill her brother and her for stealing from them.

These have mostly been answered, but the steaks were to lure all the dogs over to him so he could get Ollie.  The brother learned about the shipment from his sister, the lawyer - presumably through idle gossip/conversation, though why she knew about it and was indiscreet enough to tell him is anyone's guess, but she wasn't conspiring with him to steal the shipment.

• Love 3

Thanks for the explanation. I was following this pretty well but by the time we got to the actual perp I couldn't figure out how he knew about the victim and her dogs. So his sister was in on it, right?

What was the point of giving the dogs a steak?

This is sort of a trope  usually seen in cartoons - distracting dogs with a steak. A box of Milkbone Dog Biscuits would be just as effective and far cheaper (assuming one steak per dog, in this case).

Speaking of red herrings, H!ITG! Carlos Gómez  had his name in the opening credits.

I spent the entire scene agonizing over where I'd seen him before.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was following this pretty well but by the time we got to the actual perp I couldn't figure out how he knew about the victim and her dogs. So his sister was in on it, right?

No, I think he overheard the cartel joking about the dog when he went to pick up the bookcase.

• Love 3

OH - so the attorney sister was not in on it? (I'm so lost.)

I'm always up for a good Clyde reference, but if I'm honest, neither Joan nor Sherlock strike me as the type who would be really chatty with their mailman about their pet turtle. Or about much of anything, for that matter.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I suspected the killer as soon as he claimed his dog bite came from an unprovoked golden retriever! Most goldens are total sweeties... come up with a better lie, dude.

I totally missed that clue!

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Joan deduces:

--which is a bit of a red herring of height, since many of the viewers will assume women are shorter than men, but Kate Shindle, who played OTB/drug smuggler lawyer Danielle Olivera, is 5'11" and Danny Binstock (who played the cell phone stealing, drug stealing brother) claims to be just 6'.
Danielle is further absolved of the murder by these lines:

Speaking of red herrings, H!ITG! Carlos Gómez had his name in the opening credits.

Thanks for the explanation @shapeshifter, I think I will definitely be rewatching this one to catch all the things I didn’t figure out or catch at first!

16 minutes ago, roseha said:

Thanks for the explanation @shapeshifter, I think I will definitely be rewatching this one to catch all the things I didn’t figure out or catch at first!

I have at least 100 Elementary episodes I should rewatch to see what I missed! I only caught this episode's red herrings because I recorded it and watched in the next morning when I was fully awake, and then rewound and fast-forwarded to answer questions posted here.

I enjoy rewatching episodes of The Closer and Major Crimes and Monk multiple times because I always catch things I missed. I wonder if Elementary will wear as well. Recently I watched a Castle episode and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I laughed for a good minute when Gregson seemed to actually be wondering if Bell was claiming that the dog was the suspect.  Considering everything he's witness these past few years, I guess a dog performing premeditated murder isn't that outlandish...

I like the way they're talking about the dog like he's a human but when Marcus asks if he had any enemies, the cop looks at Marcus like he's nuts and replies "He's a dog." 😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm always up for a good Clyde reference, but if I'm honest, neither Joan nor Sherlock strike me as the type who would be really chatty with their mailman about their pet turtle. Or about much of anything, for that matter.

Maybe they order food or other turtle paraphernalia that arrives by mail, and the mailman was curious (or a turtle owner himself). I admit I can't see them starting the conversation themselves, but if the mailman asked? I can kind of see it...

21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

When was Clyde shown? How did I miss him??

I don't think he was shown, it was just a mention in the conversation about pet ownership. (Unless I missed something? I did come in a few minutes into the episode.)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought it was a sweet characterization of Bell that he used the descriptor "knucklehead" instead of the typical cop term of "dirt bag," but, now that you mention it, no doubt the writers were emphasizing that this seemingly was a minor criminal rather than a murderous mastermind.

The other thing that I noticed in that scene is that this is the first time I've seen a cop on TV put a perp in the car without putting a hand on top of their head.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe they order food or other turtle paraphernalia that arrives by mail, and the mailman was curious (or a turtle owner himself). I admit I can't see them starting the conversation themselves, but if the mailman asked? I can kind of see it...

It was when the mailman delivered those copies of "Turtle Fancy Magazine" and "Better Homes and Tortoise".

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

When was Clyde shown? How did I miss him??

They didn’t show him, only briefly mentioned him in a conversation. I was disappointed because I thought we’d get a glimpse of Clyde after the mention. So we probably won’t see Jamie Moriarty either. They’re just mentioning everyone one last time before the show ends. Cop-outs!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, possibilities said:

The guy working in the factory packing DNA test kits wasn't wearing gloves?

I got a little confused about the contaminated DNA myself.

If he sweated on the swabs, as @AnimeMania suggests (which seems the likely explanation, though they really didn't say how he contaminated the kits - which I think was a little sloppy of the writers), then none of the items they tested for DNA in all those murders had anyone else's DNA on them - only the transfer from the swabs. This is certainly possible, not every crime leaves DNA transfer, and perps can wear gloves. But the rope, for example, in one of the early murders, should have had at least some trace of fabric or latex if gloves were used, since the murderer actually had to handle that weapon. I guess it's possible the guy's shirt wouldn't have his DNA on it along with the dog's.

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is sort of a trope  usually seen in cartoons - distracting dogs with a steak. A box of Milkbone Dog Biscuits would be just as effective and far cheaper (assuming one steak per dog, in this case).

The only time I've ever heard, in real life, of using meat to attract dogs, was when it was laced with poison or sedatives - and then generally ground meat, not steak. Neither of those seemed applicable.

I didn't think they did a particularly good job of connecting the dots - it makes sense at a macro level. But there are details missing, so far as I can tell, that would really nail down the explanations.

Frankly, I'm finding this season fairly boring. Which is a major shift in how I generally react to this show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OH - so the attorney sister was not in on it? (I'm so lost.)

Joan's monologuing about the bookcase suggests the brother basically found out the same way Joan did. He was in lawyer-sister's office picking up furniture. He either heard discussion or saw the same document that was just laying around that Joan snapped the photo of. So clearly these drug traffickers are not so close to the vest with their shipping plans. Or they think the sports-odds-looking code is stealthier than it is. But the gist is that in some unspecified way, during his furniture pickup he learned about the train schedule; possibly by generally being around sister he also knew about Artist Weed Dealer with Drug Finding Dog and hatched his plan from there.

At first I thought it was weird Joan and Holmes were having such an open discussion about Odin at the artist's house, but then the more I thought about it, that was a good place to have that chat presuming other police weren't within earshot and also searching the house. Then they went back to their house and continued the conversation and I really wanted some cursory SOMETHING to suggest they'd swept the place for bugs. When presented with an omni-villain I want to see examples of Paranoid and Careful Sherlock.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 3:00 AM, tennisgurl said:

Now I just have this mental imagine of Sherlock and Joan whipping out their phones at every opportunity to show random strangers and acquaintances pictures of Clyde, along with adorable turtle based stories, like classic pet owners. “Now here’s Clyde dressed in a scarf for the first day of Autumn, here he is on top of the refrigerator...”

"Here's Clyde wearing his favorite turtle cozy. And, here he is solving his first case."

Was anyone else disappointed Joan didn't use Clyde to play one of the cars on the Arizona highway? 

I was confused about the steak as well. Normally in shows, a steak is used to distract or lure the dog(s) away and keep them quiet, yet here they were loudly barking. And given that the artist/dealer had to have been killed before Ollie was taken, otherwise there would be no reason to stick around and kill her, I was confused by that. Of course, it's possible, or even likely, that steaks don't actually distract dogs from barking at strangers. 

• Love 4

I was so ticked that the police department didn't see to it that a canine retiree had a home to go to.  Since Ollie's former handler/partner couldn't take him, they should have found him a good home.  Rescue groups do great work but Ollie should not have had to go to one.

The thought of Joan telling the mailman about Clyde really amused me. 

I liked the CotW well enough.  I watch for the characters so, although I like a good tight plot, if there are plot holes or inconsistencies, I don't really care too much.

Back to the main plot next week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was so ticked that the police department didn't see to it that a canine retiree had a home to go to.  Since Ollie's former handler/partner couldn't take him, they should have found him a good home.  Rescue groups do great work but Ollie should not have had to go to one.

The thought of Joan telling the mailman about Clyde really amused me. 

I liked the CotW well enough.  I watch for the characters so, although I like a good tight plot, if there are plot holes or inconsistencies, I don't really care too much.

Back to the main plot next week.

My understand, from our K-9 teams locally anyway, is that they do always find homes for the retired dogs. And I don't think they generally go to their partner's home - as that officer will be working with a new dog. This was a detail twisted to suit the plot. Another reason I'm not that crazy about this show this season.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think some departments allow retired dogs to stay with their handlers.  There was a story that went viral late last year about a handler who secretly gave up his retired dog to a shelter; I think that may have influenced this episode.

I can't imagine how the criminal managed to get former police dog Ollie on a leash and compliant after hitting his foster owner in the head in front of him.

The argument over the lie about the NSA was brief, but I'm kind of glad.  I thought JLM sold Sherlock's discomfort about having to lie on to the Captain and Marcus.

He has looked a bit worn the last few episodes.  I agree that may be foreshadowing as @Alistaire suggested.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I can't imagine how the criminal managed to get former police dog Ollie on a leash and compliant after hitting his foster owner in the head in front of him.

Ollie was a drug sniffing dog, not a bite-trained K9. Had he been a bite-trained K9 he wouldn't have ended up in rescue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I was confused about the steak as well. Normally in shows, a steak is used to distract or lure the dog(s) away and keep them quiet, yet here they were loudly barking. And given that the artist/dealer had to have been killed before Ollie was taken, otherwise there would be no reason to stick around and kill her, I was confused by that. Of course, it's possible, or even likely, that steaks don't actually distract dogs from barking at strangers. 

I thought the idea in this case was Murderer gave them food to start so they would see him as an ally: dogthink "you bring me food ergo I like you" possibly also helped by his being dressed like her. So even tho the dogs would know it wasn't her due to smell, they'd probably not get super aggressive with him? Or I think that was supposed to be his thinking. I also think he DID take Ollie before killing her. I don't think the plan was to kill her. It was just to steal the dog (and hopefully get away with it by being dressed as her while wandering her property). I think the sequence went:

• Show up; dogs bark
  • Give dogs food in attempt to pacify/distract them/convince them you're not an enemy
  • (Optional: be surprised they don't stop barking)
  • Artist lady yells at them to shush
  • Shirt and guy gets bit
  • Take Ollie to getaway vehicle
  • Artist lady goes to check out situation
  • Come back to attempt to clean up one's tracks but oops Artist lady is there and sees you
  • Bash her head in
  • Leave with dog , giving up on cleanup attempt cuz this is now a bigger crime than originally planned

This begs the question why'd he go back and I think I'm stretching it that he intended to clean up after himself in some way. But it also could've been:

• Show up; dogs bark
  • Give dogs food in attempt to pacify/distract them/convince them you're not an enemy
  • (Optional: be surprised they don't stop barking)
  • Artist lady yells at them to shush
  • Shirt and guy gets bit
  • Hearing her so close by and aware of dogs' noise making, go back to vehicle to get weapon
  • Artist lady goes to check out situation
  • Come back to bash her head in
  • Leave with dog

This sequence begs the question why he left in the first place. I'm suggesting "to get weapon" but I think that might be as much a stretch as the other stretch. Either way I think it's not quite sensible that he was coming and going, unless part of the plan was always "bash her head in" but I can't how the murder being baked into the plan makes sense either. Other than "that's how this happens on TV and in scary movies" they don't have a good explanation for why he went from being in with the dogs to presumably steal Ollie to ominously behind her to bash her head in. If he got out of sight fast enough, well enough for her to not know he was there when she initially checked out the barking, he didn't need to kill her. If he was still in the middle of the attempted dog steal, she should've caught him in front of her. But if he already had the dog, he had no reason to go back. None really works. And I get that he was probably all adrenaline and panicking but in none of the possible sequences does it really make sense to me that he'd jump to "welp I guess I've got to kill her now". But planning to kill her from the start is more sociopathic than they seemed to be suggesting he was. 

Why am I looking for logic in the fictional thought process of a knucklehead? That was the answer all along: he's a knucklehead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Ollie was a drug sniffing dog, not a bite-trained K9. Had he been a bite-trained K9 he wouldn't have ended up in rescue. 

I had a hard time with the K-9 as rescue dog plot. I just don’t believe that in an agency that size they wouldn’t be able to find a suitably vetted home. I’m speaking as a non-sworn employee of a 1200-person police department where we had a handler who needed to re-home his dog because the dog was retiring and the handler was getting a new K-9 partner.  Literally ten minutes after he sent his all-department e-mail asking if anyone could take the dog, we received a second e-mail saying the dog had been re-homed to another officer’s family. Ten minutes. 

Drug-sniffing or bite trained, I don’t buy the rescue. Unless it’s an agency with, like, 12 people or something.

Clyde reference! Yay!

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I had a hard time with the K-9 as rescue dog plot. I just don’t believe that in an agency that size they wouldn’t be able to find a suitably vetted home. I’m speaking as a non-sworn employee of a 1200-person police department where we had a handler who needed to re-home his dog because the dog was retiring and the handler was getting a new K-9 partner.  Literally ten minutes after he sent his all-department e-mail asking if anyone could take the dog, we received a second e-mail saying the dog had been re-homed to another officer’s family. Ten minutes. 

Drug-sniffing or bite trained, I don’t buy the rescue. Unless it’s an agency with, like, 12 people or something.

Clyde reference! Yay!

A lot of homes in NYC either do not allow pets of that size or do not have elevators (Ollie had hip problems). IDK. Would the locale being NYC matter WRT finding a suitable home for Ollie?

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I think some departments allow retired dogs to stay with their handlers.  There was a story that went viral late last year about a handler who secretly gave up his retired dog to a shelter; I think that may have influenced this episode.

My assumption that it wasn't allowed was way off the mark, apparently. Given the examples here in the forum, and what I found on the internet,

Apparently there was a law passed to allow them to be adopted by their handlers. Here's an article that explains more: What Happens to Police Dogs When They Retire

Although, obviously, not every organization does it the same way.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Thanks for posting that link.  The officer who gave up his dog got demoted. 

MacGyver also had an episode this past season about a police dog being stolen by drug dealers to help them hide drugs better. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

A lot of homes in NYC either do not allow pets of that size or do not have elevators (Ollie had hip problems). IDK. Would the locale being NYC matter WRT finding a suitable home for Ollie?

Fair point. My West Coast agency doesn’t have a residency requirement and many of our personnel live in neighboring cities & counties and have big yards.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

NYC includes Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, as well as Staten Island.  Lots of homes for dogs in those boroughs.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2019 at 5:18 PM, unicorn23 said:

So we never found out what Sherlock’s tell is when Joan surmised he was lying to her. I wanted to know. 

It’s probably going to be a plot point in a later episode. E.g. Sherlock will tell Joan something under duress, she’ll know he’s lying because of his tell, and he’ll know that she knows. 

Unless of course it it was just a guess by Joan and she said he had a tell so that he’d give her the full story. 

• Love 1

My main take away from this episode was the same as many others-how could they place a retired police dog in a shelter?  Not too many comments about the plot, but lots of comments about the dog.  I wish they had developed the story a bit better but I guess we had to include Odin, drug cartels/gangs, clarifying that there wasn't a serial killer on the loose who was responsible for the artist/drug dealer's death, corrupt NSA officer, and several other things.  It would be too much for the show to have a reasonable story for a retire police dog and how he ended up in a shelter.  I was kind of hoping that Sherlock and Joan were going to adopt the dog at the end of the episode... After all, Clyde needs company while they're out investigating crimes.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I was kind of hoping that Sherlock and Joan were going to adopt the dog at the end of the episode... After all, Clyde needs company while they're out investigating crimes.

We were speculating before who would be Clyde's Watson when he did his own clandestine animal investigations.  Ollie would be a great candidate.

• Love 6