Type keyword(s) to search

Former Hosts: PROFESSIONAL Life After The View

Jaded
  • Start Topic

A lot of that article is stuff that I remember reading before (the track meet, the gig in the Bahamas, the Lord telling her to quit), so either it's just a cut-and-paste of the previous articles, or Sherri gets asked the same questions, and gives exactly the same answers, all the time.  But one thing puzzled me:

Rising from poverty and the ranks of the unknown, she became a recurring sitcom staple before bringing her quick-witted comedic voice to The View. Now that her tenure on the popular talker has reached a bittersweet end,

This is the first time I've heard a reference to her rising from "poverty."  She has certainly never described her background as being poor (certainly not rich, but when I think of "poverty", I think of dire financial straits - and if she had grown up poor, we would have heard about it, repeatedly ) and I believe people on this board who are familiar with Chicago have said that her neighborhood was nice.

It is interesting that she is insistent that SHE quit, and wasn't fired. This has been her story since the announcement. I have no idea whether that's true, but I do find it odd that someone who is so fixated on money (for good reasons, her son will require more care than most other kids) would quit. That said, the show is letting her tell that story (unlike what they did with Star Jones), so she must have left on good terms, whether it was her decision or theirs.  In contrast, Bitsy REFUSES to talk about the terms of her leaving and gets quite short when the subject comes up - either she doesn't want to pretend that it was her decision, or they won't let her do so.

I just referred to Wikipedia to see what was said about Sherri Shepherd suffering poverty during childhood.  No info there on that subject, but I did notice this under the category "On-Camera Flubs":

In January 2008, Sherri referred to Gospel singer Shirley Caesar as "the black Patti LaBelle."

• Love 1

I guess "poor" is relative. I don't know what part of Chicago Sherri was born in, but her family moved to Hoffman Estates, which is an upper middle class suburb. I'm not saying her family couldn't have been struggling. Just that she grew up in much nicer area than I did, so I don't think she gets to play the poverty card.

• Love 4

A lot of that article is stuff that I remember reading before (the track meet, the gig in the Bahamas, the Lord telling her to quit), so either it's just a cut-and-paste of the previous articles, or Sherri gets asked the same questions, and gives exactly the same answers, all the time. 

It's an article from the end of August that was posted here around that time so you probably did read it before.

It's so funny that whoever is editing Sherri's wikipedia hates her.

Shepherd wrote the book Permission Slips: Every Woman's Guide to Giving Herself a Break, published in October 2009.[16]

Chapter Two is ironically titled "Permission to Date, Love, Marry and DIVORCE the Wrong Guy."

• Love 1

It is interesting that she is insistent that SHE quit, and wasn't fired. This has been her story since the announcement. I have no idea whether that's true, but I do find it odd that someone who is so fixated on money (for good reasons, her son will require more care than most other kids) would quit. That said, the show is letting her tell that story (unlike what they did with Star Jones), so she must have left on good terms, whether it was her decision or theirs.

Well, Star Jones was supposed to tell the same story that Sherri is telling.  They both were fired, but  BW & Bill Geddie gave them them opportunity to tell whatever story they wished about their leaving to safe face.  Star chose to go public before The View made their announcement.  That was one of the great live moments on The View.  Jennie and Elisabeth only comment in vague terms.  I don't think I've heard them say they were fired, but they were fired as well.

Sherri is so delusional.  She keeps saying that she can go back at any time.  No, Sherri, we don't want you back (even if The View allowed it.).  

• Love 6

I think Sherri is delusional about most things.  Although she probably thinks it's just her having faith that God has a plan for her.  And who knows?  Maybe her God does have a plan for her.  But I do have to wonder if his plan involves her dressing like she is 25 years younger than she actually is.

• Love 3

I don't think she meant any harm. Ignorant? Sure. Though I don't think what she said was meant in any way to be callous.  Society is much too hypersensitive. 

ANYBODY that dares to speak for transgender folk that does not appreciate or understand their situation and tries to compare some silly transient feeling to what they go through is full on ignorant.  Not insensitive, just fucking stupid and should be called out for their bullshit.

• Love 10

ANYBODY that dares to speak for transgender folk that does not appreciate or understand their situation and tries to compare some silly transient feeling to what they go through is full on ignorant.  Not insensitive, just fucking stupid and should be called out for their bullshit.

I understand. I am a 'soft butch' lesbian. Growing up, I always wanted to be a boy. When puberty hit, I liked the female parts of me too much. ;)  I just didn't see her as trying to speak for anyone, I just saw it as Jenny being Jenny. People are still ignorant, but times are changing. Things are changing. We are getting there. I just don't want to get all militant towards someone who obviously has no ill will towards lifestyle choices. Pick battles wisely. 

• Love 8

Ah! So Babs was pursuaded to do another annual fascinating people show. So even if she is having a "befuddled" day and is not at her best, they can edit and reshoot to make her look great!

And if Monica L. ramps up her self promotion as "patient zero" of social media bullying, who wants to place bets that she might be one of the featured people?

• Love 2

Really...Monica will probably be THE MOST FASCINATING. The rest....we read about them almost daily, and they are accomplished. But it is not like the time between fan mags and the internet when fascinating people were not constantly in the limelight.

I also remember in an interview BW said she prefers shows like TMF because they have time to research, figure out the questions, and edit....vs a live show. Granted there were spontaneous moments like a dance with Swayze or a lapdance from Jackman or some nonsense like that boosting her ego. Sigh. Haven't watched in years.

And so glad she is off TV and not prying into guests private lives whether current or long ago.

• Love 3

Has anyone watched Meredith's show?  I've been mostly enjoying parts of it, with a lot of fast forwarding.

Yes, and as much as I like Meredith, it's mostly like watching paint dry.  .... & let's not even discuss when she brought her dog on stage & had to keep feeding him treats to make him stay with her .... ridiculous!!!

• Love 3

Meredith is on a 9a here and nothing else is on so I would putter, shower, water etc and channel surf occasionally.

I think her show is so disjointed with stupid games, yes the treats for Jasper, and I'm not up for inspiration at 9a. She can be very funny and I like her...but not her show. I haven't caught a thought provoking conversation yet but maybe I've missed them. Bottom line for me - show can't keep my attention.

• Love 2

Jesus Christ.  Doesn't Geddie have enough money to retire?  Why is he dragging her out for this? Well, not dragging - I'm sure she jumped at the idea. 

Really...Monica will probably be THE MOST FASCINATING. The rest....we read about them almost daily, and they are accomplished. But it is not like the time between fan mags and the internet when fascinating people were not constantly in the limelight.

I also remember in an interview BW said she prefers shows like TMF because they have time to research, figure out the questions, and edit....vs a live show. Granted there were spontaneous moments like a dance with Swayze or a lapdance from Jackman or some nonsense like that boosting her ego. Sigh. Haven't watched in years.

And so glad she is off TV and not prying into guests private lives whether current or long ago.

Oh Babs loves a taped and edited show and I guess I would too if I was working ten years beyond my capabilities and producing shows like it's the 1990s.

If I remember the last couple of years correctly, she didn't even get an interview with her "Most Fascinating" pick but just narrated why she and Sweaty Geddie picked that particular person.   In fact, I think she gets something like four or five interviews out of the ten unless it's a group of talentless famewhores like the Kartrashians.  

• Love 4

I would actually be surprised if she did NOT include any Kardashian type, reality show or other fame-seeking "celebrities" on her show and stuck with inspirational, legitimate people who've had a positive impact on the world and are worthy of the list. Of course, she ( actually Geddie) define what "fascinating" is so they can pretty much justify anyone. I would also be impressed if she actually had site own interviews with each of the 10 but that is unlikely.

Regarding Meredith, I still tape the show but usually don't end up watching all of it. Her on the couch are my favorite part but the intro topics and games I typically fast forward through. Maybe she should only have a 30 minute interview heavy show. I do like her and find her genuine and good at interviews.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 1

Meredith is on a 9a here and nothing else is on so I would putter, shower, water etc and channel surf occasionally.

I think her show is so disjointed with stupid games, yes the treats for Jasper, and I'm not up for inspiration at 9a. She can be very funny and I like her...but not her show. I haven't caught a thought provoking conversation yet but maybe I've missed them. Bottom line for me - show can't keep my attention.

I totally agree!!!  I forgot to mention the stupid games -- the reason I always tape Ellen (for the guests I like).  So much drivel.  I don't know who thinks this kind of content is interesting, but I definitely do not!!!

• Love 1

I totally agree!!!  I forgot to mention the stupid games -- the reason I always tape Ellen (for the guests I like).  So much drivel.  I don't know who thinks this kind of content is interesting, but I definitely do not!!!

Yes -  I fast forward a lot.  There have been a few good discussions and some guests I like interspersed with stupid games and silly stuff, not to mention the tearjerker segments.   But I am still recording and thanks to the FF button, can get through the shows pretty fast!

Well, I guess I don't know how to include a quote in a reply, so the second sentence is mine!!

Edited by CuriousParker
Fixed Quote Issue
  • Love 1

The photo of Sherri in the blonde wig for Steve Harvey's show is a recent photo. Yes, we can be sure that Monica Lewinsky will be on Barbara's most fascinating show. She has talked up Lewinsky for years. I wonder if she sees something of her younger self in Monica.

I watch Meredith's show in the afternoons because there is nothing else on except reruns of Sex and the City. The show is OK, nothing spectacular. Pretty much on a par with Katy Couric's recent talk show. Meredith definitely IMHO was better with cohosts both on The View and on the Today show. I've noticed that she's engaged the bandleader more in recent shows which has helped.

Both Meredith and Katie aren't comedians versus Rosie O and Ellen who are. Both of the latter's shows seemed to have more energy because although they work without others (on Rosie's old show) they are funny people and quick with a joke. Meredith is more of a news person as is Katie and so maybe that is what is lacking to make the show sparkle when it needs to.

• Love 2

Just found out about the Babster's resurrection.  Didn't take long did it?

Were her previous ratings good enough for ABC to greenlight this?

Perhaps they just need a filler show somewhere?

Won't be watching regardless as I have always thought she is a terrible interviewer and have never watched her 'specials' unless an accident happened (to me not her).

• Love 2

Just found out about the Babster's resurrection. Didn't take long did it?

Were her previous ratings good enough for ABC to greenlight this?

Perhaps they just need a filler show somewhere?

Won't be watching regardless as I have always thought she is a terrible interviewer and have never watched her 'specials' unless an accident happened (to me not her).

Yup, believe it or not her specials apparently consistently get really high ratings, so much so that they're expanding this year's special from 90 minutes to 2 full hours. Beats me who still watches, but apparently millions do. I haven't watched one in years, but didn't they stop doing interviews for them a long time ago? I seem to recall they were just a series of year end mini bios that Babs narrated. Yawn. At least we won't be subjected to weeks of her pimping it every day on The View.

• Love 4

The ABC News journalist is returning to primetime on Dec. 14 with "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2014" special, featuring Oprah Winfrey, Neil Patrick Harris, Chelsea Handler and Scarlett Johansson. Additional names will be announced soon.

Oprah again?  Chelsea Handler why?  Scarlett Johansson eh?  I do love NPH and she might actually get an interview with him.  She usually does at least one sports figure and one politician.  I'm thinking Derek Jeter.  And if I had to choose a politician I would choose Wendy Davis, the Democratic nominee for Texas governor.  And of course she will have to throw in a reality show star.  Which famewhore that will be anyone's guess is as good as mine since I don't watch any of that garbage.

Edited by CuriousParker

Sherri still does the I have to pee pose, LOL!

I noticed that!

Sherri's wigs looked better when she had The View's hairdressing team caring for them!

btw- I would guess that the boy in the photo is Al Roker's son- He looks just like him!

Edited by springtime

Cross one leg over the other. Paris Hilton has her pose in check from head to toe. It slims the waist and hips when you don't plant your feet at a normal stance. To strike this pose, Place most of your weight on one leg, and simply cross the other in front of you. You can rest some of your weight on the crossed leg, but not much.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_2251440_pose-like-paris-hilton.html

Paris Hilton made this pose famous a while back.  I think Sherri uses Paris' tips because I notice that she also will place her hands on her waist sometimes.  LOL.

Isn't it a standard model's pose? I think Mary Whatshername of the Supremes referenced it under a pic of her and her colleagues. They learned it from the etiquette coach at Motown. Life didn't begin at Paris Hilton.

• Love 3

That pose slims the waist and hips, yes. But when Sherri does it, it accentuates her big boobs. In that photo, the dress and pose together emphasize what Sherri considers to be her best feature.

Edited because spell check likes to make me look like I can't compose a sentence.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

The Parkside School was really fortunate to have joy and sherrie and other "names" participate in their fundraiser. I looked it up and it's a small, fairly exclusive school with under 90 students and a staff of around 55 and focuses on teaching kids with "learning based disabilities" . One of the art teachers is Lauren Behar - joy's daughter? The event had al roker and his wife as guests of honor. I wonder if the sons of al roker and sherrie both attend?

While Sherri is nice to meet and greet after Cinderella- she needs to choose a better top (neckline) for this opportunity- She reveals a bit too much! lol

https://twitter.com/keby207/status/526118515309551617/photo/1

I'm glad SS is sweet to the people who approach her.

Your comment made me laugh because when my son had to go for his immunization shots he pulled my shirt down pretty low trying to getting from the nurse. When it was all done the nurse said "see, not so bad, and next time mom will wear a shirt that covers more." Lol. I swear it was a nice v neck shirt and I most def had a bra on. I can laugh now but at the time, I though wow, how rude. I'm not calling you rude, it just brought back a funny memory.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

I'm glad SS is sweet to the people who approach her.

Your comment made me laugh because when my son had to go for his immunization shots he pulled my shirt down pretty low trying to getting from the nurse. When it was all done the nurse said "see, not so bad, and next time mom will wear a shirt that covers more." Lol. I swear it was a nice v neck shirt and I most def had a bra on. I can laugh now but at the time, I though wow, how rude. I'm not calling you rude, it just brought back a funny memory.

Talk about rude- my daughter's nurse put a post it on her file for the Dr before he saw her "Good luck with this one"

She did not want to get undressed for a physical and was being her usual strong willed self!  lol 

I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to have that nurse return to administer a scheduled immunization and tried again another day.

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

Sherri has about 30 shows and less than a month to go before her Broadway gig is up. Wonder if either the Hasselbeck's or the Wahlberg's will bring their kids to see the play before Sherrie's run is over.

Yes, so unless her surgery is for something serious that requires Tim to stay by her side (which I doubt) then tim could certainly get the kids out of the house to go see the play. At the very least, he could just bring Grace - a perfect father daughter date - to show support for their friend sherri. Why wouldn't elizabeth encourage him to do that?

• Love 1

I think Sherri and Jenny were work "friends". After it was announced that SS and JM were not coming back, I heard an interview Jenny did with Howard Stern, he asked why Jenny was so into Sherri? Jenny said, Sherri was very nice but they didn't really hang out or anything. It would be nice if both Jenny and Elisabeth supported Sherri. I don't see EH going and as for her husband, yeah I don't see that happening.

Elisabeth was in Sherri's wedding but I always assumed that EH just didn't know how to get out of it lol. EH never seemed to have a lot of girlfriends, SS was probably more into their friendship and that also seemed like a work friends/social media pals. Nothing deep or real.

• Love 3

I believe that Bitsy's participation in Sherri's wedding was purely for show.My bet is that it was ginned up by the producers as a way to sell an "we all love each other" myth, as well as to humanize Bitsy. I also wonder if production envisioned a running series of features with Bitsy and Sherri doing wedding prep things. They never came to be, probably because Sherri inked a separate deal for a wedding special on another network (in which Bitsy appeared briefly.). In any event, Sherri did a bunch of stuff with her wedding party - dance lessons, bachelorette parties, trips to some resort - none of which Bitsy participated in. She even left Sherri's pre-wedding party because a male stripper arrived (can't say that I blame her, but it was her friend's party.)

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3

the art teachers is Lauren Behar - joy's daughter? The event had al roker and his wife as guests of honor

Joy's daughter's name is Eve she is a potter/ceramic artist. She looks very  much like her. On another note I just saw that Sherri will be on GMA tomorrow and they show a clip of her probably from last time she was on. Can she just walk into a room or on to a stage like a normal person or must it involve shimmy and shaking and thrusting and kicking her heels up? Too much to ask for? She is going to  "tell everything"  was the lead it.  Don't give a big damn.

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 4