Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Broken Promises

• Start Topic

Ronald puts Tiffany's trust to the test; Sumit has been keeping a secret from Jenny; facing deportation, Paul seeks legal advice; Laura has second thoughts about leaving her son behind; Deavan fails to impress Jihoon's parents.

• Love 1

Wow, Goth Girl and the breakfast! They don't want American-style, try to accommodate the Koreans! You can get kimchi at any Whole foods or Asian market (which are common in a spot like Vegas). Why are you forcing stuff they don't like down their throats? And trying to impress them with accommodations or cooking, seriously? You're a mentally unstable pregnant single mother. I think they caught on to that.

I can't imagine that his gal is going to move to Korea if she can't even handle picking people up at the airport. Wow, this is going to be a long week! The Korean parents seem so nice and it must have cost them a fortune to fly there for this sad vacation based on Goth Girl's failure to use birth control.

And Pole! He certainly has an endless rap sheet, threatened to slash tires? Yikes. I bet Careening's parents are relieved to be rid of their daughter. I hope she just gives the kid up for adoption and everyone starts over...alone this time. There's no way this can work unless Careening moves back into her parents' cramped hovel with the kid.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Totally agree. She is (allegedly) moving to Korea to live with them, not the other way around. She kept bleating on and on about needing to impress them with her domestic skills, so why not prepare a Korean meal? Oh, because that would require the utilization of her brain cells, never mind. 

I'm going to cut her a break on the American meal.  Maybe she was hoping since they were in a foreign country they would appreciate experiencing foreign things, not just eat the same stuff they always get.  (They WERE commenting that American eggs were white and theirs were yellow - it is possible they would have genuinely appreciated the effort to show them something different.)

However, when it became apparent 5 minutes in to trying to cook said breakfast that neither Jihoon nor his parents were charmed be Dracilla's "manners" she should have dealt with her immediately and not tried to convince Jihoon that his parents were somehow wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)

We’ve seen a lot of ridiculous bachelor(ette) parties on this franchise, but Ronald humping a keg has to be a new low. ETA: I forgot about Matt (of Matt and Alla) and his weird cowering away from a stripper while wearing that Christmas sweater. Sorry, Ronald.

I genuinely feel bad about comparing Laura to Angela, because Laura’s son seems like such a doll and Angela raised a child molester 😞

Deavan, you stupid girl. Scrambled eggs are the easiest American breakfast to Korean-ify. Just take out your daughter’s dirty hands and replace them with a tablespoon or so of gochujang. 

Edited by nutella fitzgerald
Forgot Matt crying in a Christmas sweater
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17

For all the talk of how much “the Skipper” was going to miss her son, I never heard what was to become of him.  Is he the son of the ex husband who shaved his head?  If so, are they close?  Does he have anyone he can count on? I found myself feeling sad for this 21 year old.

Also thought it was interesting that Borat blocks her when she goes into PITA mode.  Wondering what he will  do with her when she’s physically there.  

5 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

For the first time in my history of watching this show, my heart broke. For Liam. Criminy, that was hard to watch. And I am 1000% rage-filled at that dumbshit stupid mother of his. Her arrogance and cluelessness. Does she think she’s going to strut into Qatar and be all “Imma teach my man a thing or two, ‘cause I’m sassy and modern and shit!” Bitch no, you’re in Qatar and p.s. you do not deserve Liam, damn you. 

Priceless.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Are people not afraid of HIV or other STIs any more?!!

Based on the tools on this shit show and Love After Lockup, I'd say nah. Boggles the mind how careless so many of these people are.

• Love 12

JiHoon's mom didn't seem too impressed with the American breakfast Deavan was cooking. The mom even tried to get her to stop by mentioning they had left overs and kimchi in the fridge. Deavan should have realised at that moment that maybe she should have changed course and just given them a Korean style breakfast of leftovers. She also had a great excuse for changing her plan when her child was eating the communal eggs with her bare hands!

I'm worried about the little kid. If she isn't really verbal right now, she is going to struggle in school when she moves to Korea. She won't be able to speak the language of instruction and Korean teachers are known to just ignore students who struggle.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

I can't believe a woman this stupid plans to move to Korea. The people around you are not going to learn English to accommodate you! The pediatrician for your baby might not speak English,  nor the receptionist in his office!

That kid, my God.  Did I see her shoot a raspberry while playing on the table, in that sagging diaper?? I'm sorry,  if I'd been Jihoon's parent, I'd be calling an Uber to the nearest hotel. Where I would proceed to enjoy my expensive vacation without feral child or clueless goth.

ETA: Deavan snapped at Jihoon:"you have no choice in the matter!" about the sleeping arrangements.  Because that's how you treat your fiance, who you barely know. 

Also, it was breakfast time, the feral child was hungry so Deaven lets her finger the eggs then says she needs to go to bed...? Way to mother!  Instead of teaching that child to sit at the table she shoos her off to bed?

• Love 12
54 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

JiHoon's mom didn't seem too impressed with the American breakfast Deavan was cooking. The mom even tried to get her to stop by mentioning they had left overs and kimchi in the fridge. Deavan should have realised at that moment that maybe she should have changed course and just given them a Korean style breakfast of leftovers. She also had a great excuse for changing her plan when her child was eating the communal eggs with her bare hands!

I'm worried about the little kid. If she isn't really verbal right now, she is going to struggle in school when she moves to Korea. She won't be able to speak the language of instruction and Korean teachers are known to just ignore students who struggle.

Who knows if she even goes to school or has the opportunity to interact with kids her age.

Side note, those of us using the term "Feral Child" reminds me of the 30 Rock's "Rural Juror." 

8 minutes ago, AZ Curls said:

I've only caught bits and pieces of the Jihoon/Deavan storyline, can someone explain to me why he can't move to America instead of her moving to Korea?

His dog!!! I don't know how difficult it is to get citizenship for an animal in the US but OMG that dog is cute!

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, AZ Curls said:

I've only caught bits and pieces of the Jihoon/Deavan storyline, can someone explain to me why he can't move to America instead of her moving to Korea?

JiHoon's English isn't that good so he might struggle to get work in the States. I don't think Deavan works? So, maybe she doesn't have the funds to sponsor JiHoon.

She's probably moving to Korea because cost of living will be cheaper and they'll get support from the government for being a multicultural family. Childcare is free for the first couple of years for Korean kids so Deavan and JiHoon won't have to worry about the cost of sending the new baby to day care.

31 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

His dog!!! I don't know how difficult it is to get citizenship for an animal in the US but OMG that dog is cute!

Flying a dog to the States is pretty cheap. IIt only costs $200 to add the animal to your ticket and you just have to show the dog has been vaccinated. A friend of mine took their dog to the States from Korea when they visited family because it was cheaper than getting a dog sitter/boarding the animal. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Jihoon's mom was insanely rude. If an American acted that way in a different country while the hostess tried to fix a traditional breakfast, nasty as it may be, people would be raking them over the coals. Just imagine Deavan in Korea taking out a leftover cheeseburger while Mother Jihoon was trying to introduce her to a Korean breakfast. She'd be called every name in the book.

Deavan was trying. Yes, she's a crap mom and her feral kid needs boundaries and manners, and I wouldn't have gone near those eggs either. But the mother was acting a fool before any of that even happened. And they pulled that bacon out while it was still raw and started chowing down on it while she tried to tell them it wasn't cooked. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
20 minutes ago, GoGamecox said:

The most fascinating thing to me is to see Deavan's hot, edited photos that make her seem all hip and worldly and then see how unattractive she is in real life because of the disengaged, unintelligent way she acts. It's such a huge diversion between fantasy and reality. It's a great case study for online dating. Image is not reality, folks. 

In 2019, people should know that online dating is just an introduction service. You know nothing about a person until you’ve interacted with them a significant amount of time IN PERSON. But what gets me is not that people meet online (internationally or not) but that their entire relationship is built online- and they consider it an emotional partnership (compared to a pen-pal situation). 🙄

• Love 6

Wow, this episode. Where do i begin?  I think Liam saying that he doesn’t know if he’ll ever see his mother again was the saddest thing I’ve ever heard on this show. I don’t blame him 1 bit for telling his mom that he wasn’t going to visit her. I know he’s 21 and old enough to be on his own, but he said they were very close and like best friends.  Just so sad.  

Holy crap Jihoon and Deavan!  They are so screwed! I can’t believe his parents were eating raw bacon, lol! And whoever called Dracula Nell-that was my thought exactly.  Unbelievable how that child was acting. What a nightmare. Didn’t she just wake up for breakfast and then Deavan was saying she needs to go to bed?? Does anyone know if they actually go to Korea? Because if they do, i would watch a show just about that. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

At an in law dinner recently, someone wiped the potatoes off the serving spoon with their dirty finger and then handed the bowl to me. I passed it on and couldn’t eat any and then watched in silent horror as others took helpings (unable to call the action out and not sure if others noticed). That paled in comparison to what was happening to those eggs with those slobbery fingers and who knows what else - toes, diaper drip.  The egg plate later made it to the breakfast table and it appeared Jihoons parents were going to politely attempt to eat some of them. I would have started to gag or dry heaved at watching anyone else even attempt to eat those eggs. 

Complete. Parental. Failure. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

Jihoon's mom was insanely rude. If an American acted that way in a different country while the hostess tried to fix a traditional breakfast, nasty as it may be, people would be raking them over the coals. Just imagine Deavan in Korea taking out a leftover cheeseburger while Mother Jihoon was trying to introduce her to a Korean breakfast. She'd be called every name in the book.

Deavan was trying. Yes, she's a crap mom and her feral kid needs boundaries and manners, and I wouldn't have gone near those eggs either. But the mother was acting a fool before any of that even happened. And they pulled that bacon out while it was still raw and started chowing down on it while she tried to tell them it wasn't cooked. 

I can’t stand Deaven, but you’re right. It’s pretty ignorant to expect a Korean breakfast in Vegas, much as it is to demand an American breakfast in Korea. The mother was trying to take over instead of sitting down and saying thank you and making the best of it. As shitty as Deaven is, and how much heat her parents get for her raising, how about Jihoon? He’s the fool who came to the US and impregnated a snaggle Tooth catfish with baby Dracula in the picture. Maybe mother Jihoon didn’t raise her kid so good?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

We’ve seen a lot of ridiculous bachelor(ette) parties on this franchise, but Ronald humping a keg has to be a new low. ETA: I forgot about Matt (of Matt and Alla) and his weird cowering away from a stripper while wearing that Christmas sweater. Sorry, Ronald.

You know maybe that counselor is right about addictions shifting, and he's got alcohol and sex addiction wrapped up with just one innocent keg.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I don't find Tiffany and Ronald very compelling, but the whole bachelor party was stupid. On the one hand I was hoping it was producer-driven; but then that puts the onus on TLC that a guy fresh out of rehab (any rehab) is being forced to chug lots of alcohol and egged on to get lap dances.  Pretty disgusting.  If it really was the idea of his so-called "friends," I'd be considering a new batch of buddies.

That's the bad part about his 6 months of rehab....all he has are his old friends.

And fwiw, she was 90 days in SA, why get married after 8 days?  Slow it down honey!  Let's see how this newly sober person handles life a bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Years ago, I was not aware of how addictions are related.  I was told by some in recovery that if you are an alcoholic, you can't do drugs and vice versa.  Even if you only did cocaine, you can't drink alcohol, because, it's all addiction related.  Maybe, there are different schools of thought on it now. IDK, but, it doesn't seem that Ronald, Tiffany or anyone else in his family knows much about addiction or sobriety.  And, for her to keep saying that she just doesn't know if she can trust him, due to his past.....well, that's a big thing with addicts.  There is legit cause to be concerned about relapse.  It's reality.  There is no guarantee that there won't be relapse.  The addict may never stay sober on a consistent basis.  THAT'S why it's risky to place your entire life on them.  It's so frustrating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I do not like Ronald, and his friends are a bad influence. Tiffany dragged her sweet child to meet deadbeat ‘daddy’.  A Daddy who is one day out of rehab, and already chugging booze, humping a beer keg, and letting a stripper dry hump him.  Oh vey!

Laura and Jenny. Is the appeal that they are blonde? I’m not seeing any redeeming qualities in either female -personality, or looks wise. 

I was experiencing 3rd degree anxiety with Deaven, and her lil devil. The soggy eggs, and dirty diaper.  Screaming fits from a child with absolutely no guidance from her Mom. However, it paled in comparison to seeing the parents eat raw bacon. Pork has a parasitic tapeworm that can travel to the brain and possibly kill you if you eat it under cooked or raw.  😧

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
(edited)
15 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

@Mu Shu said

I can’t stand Deaven. She’s so low energy, lazy, and she looks like she may be stinky too. That kid with her sagging diaper on the table. Holy fecal contamination.

@Barbara Please

I was experiencing 3rd degree anxiety with Deaven, and her lil devil

I hate her too.  She irritates the crap out of me.  She always has this look on her face like a deer in headlights.   She's a terrible mother and I can't imagine how she's going to take care of a newborn in addition to the feral wild child.   I think she would annoy me less if she didn't insist she was always right.  No your daughter does not have manners, she's out of control and she's only going to get worse unless there are some major changes in her life.   There's no way I would have eaten those eggs after her diapered barefoot daughter stuck her filthy hands in them.  Ugh. 

My wife wandered in and saw some of this scene and left, saying she was extremely angered over this "mother" !

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 3

Tiffany said something along the lines that her future would be sitting at home worrying about what Ronald is up to. So she pretty much already figured he is going to mess up and she will continue to put up with it. 

The only surprising thing was the countdown from when Ronald left rehab until when he screwed up was in terms of hours, not days. 

He was like oh well there’s alcohol and strippers here, I guess I have to do this... yeah you were held at gunpoint and forced to drink for hours... 

Such a pathetic situation made even more pathetic by bringing a poor child into it that already calls this loser “dad”.

• Love 15

I didn't get too freaked out over them eating that almost raw pork, because, I've read that contamination in pork is not nearly the way it used to be.  Of course, there is always a risk........I thoroughly cook everything and have even given up sashimi, which I used to love.   I wonder if the parents thought the bacon meat was cured or smoked, so cooking was not mandatory.  

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/bacon-and-food-safety/ct_index

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

At an in law dinner recently, someone wiped the potatoes off the serving spoon with their dirty finger and then handed the bowl to me. I passed it on and couldn’t eat any and then watched in silent horror as others took helpings (unable to call the action out and not sure if others noticed). That paled in comparison to what was happening to those eggs with those slobbery fingers and who knows what else - toes, diaper drip.  The egg plate later made it to the breakfast table and it appeared Jihoons parents were going to politely attempt to eat some of them. I would have started to gag or dry heaved at watching anyone else even attempt to eat those eggs. 

Complete. Parental. Failure. 

I think the mother did try the eggs because she said that they were salty.

• Love 5

Perhaps if Tiffany stopped referring to Ronald's rehab as a "wellness center," she'd understand the severity of his addiction.

Nah, she wouldn't! Tiffany only chooses to believe what she wants to believe.

Can I just say, I really hope young Daniel and feral child Nell/Drusilla (whatever and however you spell her name) NEVER cross paths. Daniel's young life is hard enough.....without THAT. 

• Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I honestly don't think she was expecting a Korean breakfast.  I think she was saying Deaven did not have to make them breakfast - they could eat leftovers.  And I think her "taking over" was an attempt to be helpful.  Maybe she thought Deaven was overwhelmed and if she helped out that would give Deaven the space to deal with her child.  What she didn't realize was that Deaven had NO INTENTION of dealing with her child.  The father had been attempting to interact with Drascilla and was having no luck.  I think the mother was just desperate to get the chaos under control.  There is no way most people would have the fortitude to simply sit there while all that was going on and say thank you - I KNOW I wouldn't.

ITA. And if Deaven had maybe, I don't know, tried to learn some Korean, she could have communicated better with the parents? I don't expect the parents to rush out and learn English, but considering Deaven and Nell are moving to Korea, a few classes might be in order. Not that that's going to happen with that chick. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • Love 8
(edited)

So Deaven and the feral child will share Jihoon’s tiny bedroom with the teacup poodle?  And how will they occupy themselves when he is at the used phone kiosk?

Edited by Spike
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

ITA. And if Deaven had maybe, I don't know, tried to learn some Korean, she could have communicated better with the parents? I don't expect the parents to rush out and learn English, but considering Deaven and Nell are moving to Korea, a few classes might be in order. Not that that's going to happen with that chick. 

While that would have been nice I'd even be willing to give her a pass on that if she showed just the tiniest bit of empathy.  She knew before she even picked them up from the airport that they were going to have trouble dealing with Drascilla.  The MINUTE that kid started acting up she should have at least attempted to tone her down rather than expect every one to simply put up with her behavior.  Imagine, you are in a strange country, you do not speak the language and you are subjected to THAT child.  I give Jihoon's parents credit for not simply walking out.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

So Deaven and the feral child will share Jihoon’s tiny bedroom with the teacup poodle?

Baby Nell and the sweet, tiny poodle!?!?!? 😵😖 The horror is now stuck in my head!!!😥

• Love 5

Perhaps Jihoon's parents thought the raw bacon was 'Pork Sashimi' 

On the bright side, they aren't into eating dog (apparently) since they have that sweet little poodle, so if they don't want that vampire moving to Korea perhaps they can leave hints that they eat bratty little kids. (Yum. One for the entree and now another in the oven for dessert)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I can’t stand Deaven. She’s so low energy, lazy, and she looks like she may be stinky too. That kid with her sagging diaper on the table. Holy fecal contamination. Jihoon seems pretty easy going, and anxious to please his unpleasant bride to be. Damn kid, if you want to be dominated, pick a type A woman with some energy and ambition.

laura, no fool like an old fool. Of course that 20 something man wants anything to do with your scroungy looking ass. She’s so unkempt looking. I expect her to show up with a dirt necklace one of these days. You can always tell the Florida transplants. They always are sun fried and go outside without sunglasses. Laura needs a bath, a haircut, fraxel laser and a weight watchers meeting more than she needs young dick. He has to use viagra to sex her up, right? 

Speaking of old fools, Jenny is just so cringy. She looks like a stringy grandmother, but acts like a coy 21 year old. She should buddy up with Laura and move to Eustis. Why these women have to be with men in their sixties mystifys me. Find some great friends and enjoy your retirement. No more farts, morning breath, fighting over the remote and the general unpleasantness of dealing with a spouse. That’s the real freedom. Hit up some hot young Brazilian thing if you must. There are men here who make Aladin look like a scrub. 

Oh Pole. You won my heart explaining to the attorney that Terroristic Threatening is just a silly little 3rd degree misdemeanor in Kentucky. Then wondering why Brazil isn’t citing your arson charges. Pole is hilarious, and then he runs. 

Tiffany is just a dumbass. Her child is already assuming the adult role with his calm observation of the shitty situation she’s putting him in. She wants what she wants, and he has to calmly go along with it. Once Ronald relapses, he will be her confidante. Sad, but he’s clearly much more intelligent than she is.

Dying laughing! "Dirt necklace", yes! She was so sloppy getting on that plane to go meet her young fiance! The no-style, frizzy hair, stretched out sweatshirt, my lord.

Cringy Jenny, lol. Her constant, breathless enthusiasm: "I just love you! I can't think of anything about you I don't love!"

Newsflash: this is a sure sign of being madly in lust and is guaranteed not to last even in ideal circumstances.  I'm just wondering if she's maybe had addiction problems in the past, and her maturity froze at the early stages. Just speculating of course, but her immaturity is remarkable.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I really wish I could unsee the feral child with dirty feet ON TOP of the counter sticking her hands into the serving plate of eggs and eating them. 

Can we please just call her “Nell,” after the Jodie Foster movie about a girl who grew up in the wild? 

It reminded me of the Battle of the Breakfast Table scene in "The Miracle Worker"

13 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm going to cut her a break on the American meal.  Maybe she was hoping since they were in a foreign country they would appreciate experiencing foreign things, not just eat the same stuff they always get.  (They WERE commenting that American eggs were white and theirs were yellow - it is possible they would have genuinely appreciated the effort to show them something different.)

However, when it became apparent 5 minutes in to trying to cook said breakfast that neither Jihoon nor his parents were charmed be Dracilla's "manners" she should have dealt with her immediately and not tried to convince Jihoon that his parents were somehow wrong.

I think trying to make an American breakfast was a nice idea. But clearly the child can't cook. She put a pound of bacon in that tiny pan, scrambled something like 6 eggs for five people, and made Pillsbury's cinnamon rolls. She could have accommodated her guests by providing some kimchi at least.  

6 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Jihoon's family are goddamn troupers. They remained polite and friendly throughout the breakfast debacle. Jihoon's dad was really sweet with Dracilla, picking her up and trying to distract her. You can tell he loves children. 

And at three, the fact that Dracilla doesn't seem to be verbal is concerning. I've never heard her speak words,  just gesture and scream. And that Deavan just shrugs and bleats "she's hungry" as the demon spawn plunges her hands into the plate of eggs meant for everyone. Holy shit. 

5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Also, it was breakfast time, the feral child was hungry so Deaven lets her finger the eggs then says she needs to go to bed...? Way to mother!  Instead of teaching that child to sit at the table she shoos her off to bed?

That baffled me as well. Didn't they just get up? Why was she putting Dracilla to bed? I think she just took her upstairs and locked her in the bathroom. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I can’t stand Deaven, but you’re right. It’s pretty ignorant to expect a Korean breakfast in Vegas, much as it is to demand an American breakfast in Korea. The mother was trying to take over instead of sitting down and saying thank you and making the best of it. As shitty as Deaven is, and how much heat her parents get for her raising, how about Jihoon? He’s the fool who came to the US and impregnated a snaggle Tooth catfish with baby Dracula in the picture. Maybe mother Jihoon didn’t raise her kid so good?

1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

I honestly don't think she was expecting a Korean breakfast.  I think she was saying Deaven did not have to make them breakfast - they could eat leftovers.  And I think her "taking over" was an attempt to be helpful.  Maybe she thought Deaven was overwhelmed and if she helped out that would give Deaven the space to deal with her child.  What she didn't realize was that Deaven had NO INTENTION of dealing with her child.  The father had been attempting to interact with Drascilla and was having no luck.  I think the mother was just desperate to get the chaos under control.  There is no way most people would have the fortitude to simply sit there while all that was going on and say thank you - I KNOW I wouldn't.

The mom probably did expect a Korean breakfast. Koreans are known worldwide in the tourist industry for only wanting to eat Korean food.

A friend of mine went on a tour with a Korean company to Thailand with her Korean husband. 5 days in Thailand they only ate Thai food once. Every other meal was Korean food.

Then again when I travel in SE Asia I'm always looking for a good English breakfast. I find comfort food to be very enjoyable in a foreign country especially if my stomach is feeling a big funky... so, I think a Korean style breakfast would have made the family feel a little better especially after seeing a feral child eat their scrambled eggs with her dirty hands. 

• Love 7