Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Broken Promises

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hindi is the most widely spoken language in India but English is also very widely spoken, especially among anyone who's upwardly mobile and ambitious. I'm sure Jenny could get a job fairly easily even not speaking Hindi. But I agree that Sumit intends to live off her Social Security, which will go a lot farther in India than it will in Palm Springs.

Very good point, can you imagine finding a 2 bedroom apartment anywhere in the US for 350 a month?? I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's why Jenny is moving to India and not the other way around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

Very good point, can you imagine finding a 2 bedroom apartment anywhere in the US for 350 a month?? I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's why Jenny is moving to India and not the other way around.

That and she loves Submit/Smitty.

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

I think because Jihoon is foreign he can't tell how weird Deaven is especially that ghouly way she speaks and stares.   She doesn't interact normally at all.  She becomes oddly fixated on things that don't matter......like cooking an American breakfast for Korean people.  

If she understood "the point" of the morning and acting like a good host, she would have smiled and interacted with Mother Jihoon who was wanting to help her cook.   The whole bonding over breakfast or perhaps tasking her with making some omelettes would have been nice.

Then her saying "no no no kimchi...I want it to be AMERICAN breakfast" as if that holds some kind of special effort or magical power?   What's so great about your shitty American breakfast?  Isn't it more important that her guests feel welcome and relaxed?   

If she were in korea and they were frying up lots of stinky crap and weird sauces and feathers and shit that looked like eggs but really weren't and she spotted some wonder bread but the person said "NO NO NO No American bread....KOREAN breakfast!!!"   How would that make her feel?   Agitated?  Tired?  Embarassed?   Good grief woman.

So I have just caught up on this because I HAD to see live action Drascilla/Deaven.  I was going to ask if there is actually something wrong with Deaven?  She really is slackjawed, stares oddly, reacts weirdly, and I don't know if I would trust her to live alone.   Maybe Forest Gump level intellect?  The child is beastly but I can't blame it on her.  I blame every single adult in her life.

I think she should have fed the parents whatever they want.  They traveled a really long way and perhaps that would have been the best 1st meal in this country.  And keep your kids fucking fingers/diaper clad ass away from the food!

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 14
On 7/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am a special ed teacher and I know a 6 year old child who acts like Feral Child.  He has matted hair that hangs in his eyes, you can not understand one word he says except for movie, youtube, Ipad and snack.  He darts around the room, touching everything and staying on task for about 7 seconds unless it is the Ipad or legos.  (I brought my own legos to this summer assignment and I am washing them with bleach when I am done.  I am not kidding.)  Drascilla reminds me of him - the darting around, no attention to anything.  It is like they found her in the woods or something.   

I’m laughing because, as a teacher myself, I immediately thought, “I feel so sorry for that child’s teacher.” I don’t think she can go to school if she’s not vaccinated though. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, zenme said:

I’m laughing because, as a teacher myself, I immediately thought, “I feel so sorry for that child’s teacher.” I don’t think she can go to school if she’s not vaccinated though. 

Hmmm, I wonder if she can go to Korea without being vaxxed?

• Love 2
On 7/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, watchingtvaddict said:

No quarantine. Bringing a cat or dog to the States is pretty easy. I think the UK is more difficult because it is an island, but I know a few people will bring their cat/dog in through France and then take the ferry to the UK to get around the quarantine issue. 

I think in England there's no or very little rabies, which is at least one reason why pets are quarantined.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

What a bonus scene!  Deaven insisting that she MUST have a DIAMOND engagement ring so "people will know" that they're going to get married. Jihoon's explanation that this isn't normal in Korea makes no impression on her at all.  I hope he gives her a cubic zirconia. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

What a bonus scene!  Deaven insisting that she MUST have a DIAMOND engagement ring so "people will know" that they're going to get married. Jihoon's explanation that this isn't normal in Korea makes no impression on her at all.  I hope he gives her a cubic zirconia. 

She is AWFUL!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ThereButFor said:

thanks for that bit of info.   Was there anything else in the expanded version?  I watched an expanded version of an earlier episode (not sure which one) and I couldn't figure out what was added.   Maybe I should watch when I am more awake, but some of the story lines aren't all that exciting

• Love 3
On 7/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, Horrified said:

Vancouverite here.  Yes, the population is approx 50% Asian (when you count east, southeast, western, southern, middle eastern asian etc)

Thankfully, Deavon is from Salt Lake City and not Vancouver.  We don't need or want her, thank you very much.  Frankly, I'm a little nervous just knowing she has a passport.  Please don't tell her about Canada.

Thank you for confirming on the population.  I have thought of Vancouver as beautiful, coastal, diverse and just an interesting city.  I promise, with my weekly emails with Toothy McGummy, I will not breathe a word about Vancouver.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

This girl is under 25 and having her second child by a man she was not married to.  Her claims to anything traditional is laughable.  Girl, be grateful a man on god's green earth is willing to put a ring on it after he met that brat you raised.

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 5
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

thanks for that bit of info.   Was there anything else in the expanded version?  I watched an expanded version of an earlier episode (not sure which one) and I couldn't figure out what was added.   Maybe I should watch when I am more awake, but some of the story lines aren't all that exciting

Nothing else that I didn’t remember seeing before.  

• Love 1
On 7/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, Teri313 said:

When they get here, do they need to be quarantined? A friend of mine moved to England and took her poor cat, who had to be quarantined for months. She went and visited her, but the cat really went downhill because she was caged in a strange place for so long. She should have just rehomed her in the U.S.

Drascilla may definitely require being quarantined upon arrival.  

Oh, wait, you mean pets...I was referring to feral children.  😉

• LOL 14
On 7/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, Teri313 said:

Deavan is a shitty mother. To put her 3(?) year old in a position where she is sleeping with a strange man she doesn't know is so inappropriate. And he's clearly there to have sex with her trollop of a mother - he said so - and then you put your daughter in between you and him.

It just occurred to me that this is easily solved.  Deavan takes Dracula into one room and sleeps with her in that coffin.  When Dracula is asleep, Deaven moves into the other room and bed with her hot Kpop guy (no kidding--I saw those Korean boy bands on Stephen Colbert, and those guys are *adorable*) for lots of sex, then returns to Dracula.

• LOL 5
On 7/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, lucy711 said:

I'm with you on the breakfast.  On this show we see Americans all the time in foreign countries that try the native cuisine...and we make fun of them if they don't attempt to try what they are being served.  If I were visiting Korea I'd want a Korean breakfast, so it's not that crazy to think a Korean couple would want to try an American meal.

The irony was that later they ate a take out meal from the local diner and Jihoons mother ate like she was  starving, it looked like chicken fingers and French fries, she was even pleased they  had pickles.  I don’t think they are that unfamiliar with American food. McDomalds is all over the world. 

• Love 3
On 7/15/2019 at 12:02 PM, blubld43 said:

You'd have to live here, where I am, to find those prices. Our mortgage for a 3500 4-bed house on 2 acres is $550 a month. Apartments run around $300. The trade off is that we're isolated and there aren't any jobs. The ones that DO exist are only minimum wage.

Jenny moving to India makes me think of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. 

• Love 3