Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I would be scared out of my mind to have a "front door" in my bedroom. Wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. 

The dog she wants to get will be helpful.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, buttersister said:

I think she wanted to impress anyone she suckered into coming over. None of those houses was particularly impressive, but as we were reminded, it’s their first house in an extraordinarily high-priced market. So his attitude at the end was reasonable. She? Ms. Which Is More Impressive, Marble or Quartz? came off as an insufferable dumbass. Good luck!

What a diva...that poor guy. Good luck with trying to curb her spending. She seemed like the kind of woman that went on a dating app and only looked at what kind of job they had and researched it before swiping right. This guy was kind of nerdy and not good looking...he probably feels lucky to have snagged a good looking woman and overlooked her need to have and spend money on making impressions. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

The choices in the San Francisco episode were all terrible except for the second one which needed some cosmetic renovation for the bathroom and kitchen. The first and the third one (which was the one selected) were such terrible flips. Having just done a gut remodel of my home the end result is so much better than what a flipper would do. 

As I recall they put in hideous gray laminate floors in a portion of the home. At some point someone had put down relatively inexpensive oak floors - and NO those were not the original wood floors. I am familiar with homes from this era and the wood floors - when preserved - are beautiful and look nothing like those which are the cheapest builder grade you can buy.

The Eichler had beautiful bones but I think it was basically destroyed in terms of the proportions when they blew out what was originally a small galley kitchen and were left with the tiny living room. 

And her wanting "luxury" finishes without taking a minimal effort to learn what finishes are goes into my rogues' gallery of HH stupids - like those who ask whether some is granite - or who ask whether the floor is wood. If you can't tell what something is, you probably don't actually need it. I am still relishing the HH AND idiot realtor who kept calling a standard single bowl sink a "farmhouse" sink.

I wouldn't have a problem with a front door to my bedroom. I think a sturdy door with good looks is probably safer than a window and yet people don't object to having windows in their bedrooms. I thought the layout of the shot gun was awful - some of the shot gun homes I have seen have a hallway so one doesn't literally walk through every single bedroom. That home was probably originally built as a shack for the poorest of the town. And while I snicker at some HH who need their privacy because they have neighbors a normal distance from them, having a home that is literally ON YOUR PROPERTY LINE would be a no from me - you can't even put up a fence or even shrubbery to somehow get any sense of not being in a fish bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

What a diva...that poor guy. Good luck with trying to curb her spending. She seemed like the kind of woman that went on a dating app and only looked at what kind of job they had and researched it before swiping right. This guy was kind of nerdy and not good looking...he probably feels lucky to have snagged a good looking woman and overlooked her need to have and spend money on making impressions. 

Yeah, I was thinking as soon as she saw what kind of job he had, she saw $$$.  Since they were approved for $1.5 million she was determined to get as close to the limit as possible.  He was nerdy, but I thought he was nice-looking enough to have met a nicer woman than her.  What a piece of work she was. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I live in a studio apartment. My front door is 8 feet from my bed with no wall in between. I have a deadbolt and a lock on the doorknob, plus the screen door locks. And my building is a security building. 

You can just invest in an intrusion alarm plus a home security system.

I meant in a house (where nobody can hear you scream mwhahahaha) or on the first floor. And you're braver than I am!! Probably better prepared too ;) 🗝️🏹

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 5

My bedroom is off my entryway, so it's close to the front door (I keep the entryway/bedroom closed when I'm in bed [there's another door to the hallway that stays open], but then I open it so the foyer isn't dark [there's just a small round window in the front door and the front porch is covered]).  I wouldn't want the front door opening directly to my bedroom for aesthetic reasons (I don't like opening directly to the living room, either; I prefer some sort of entryway), but it wouldn't cause me any security concerns.  Hell, there would be no need to jimmy the door if someone really wanted to get in, since I sleep with the windows open unless it's too hot or too cold.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Charleston, SC episode.     They were smart to rent for 18 months before buying.  That dog is adorable. 

When the wife talks about growing up without luxuries, the husband looked like he wanted to hurl.    I suspect the $600k budget won't last.  Her budget is $750k

#1 Mount Pleasant, 3300 sq ft., $785k, obviously her pick.   Elevated.      Love the realtor, then he mentioned planting bamboo, I no longer love him.   No farmhouse on earth has that dining chandelier.    I love the hardwoods through the entire first floor, and stairs, but not the carpeted bedroom.   I wonder if the husband noticed that there are no window coverings?  Blinds for that house will be expensive.  

#2 $595k 1825 sq. ft. 3 bed 3.5 bath, very close to neighbors.  There's an elevator.   living room/dining  is on the second floor, leathered granite doesn't appeal to me.  The only outdoor space is a balcony.   Nice hardwoods on the living room level.   Only main bedroom, and 1 bedroom on the main/second floor, so one kid will have to live downstairs in a few years.   I really disliked the second house.   Strange floor plan, no yard, just bad all around.  

#3 $682k Giant house, elevated.    Hardwoods on the main floor, beautiful kitchen.   beautiful back deck, pool, (put in a pool fence), main bed and bath are lovely.   upstairs has carpet throughout, 

So the wife gets her choice #1, and already swapped out the lighting fixtures, and had to add window treatments.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, I was thinking as soon as she saw what kind of job he had, she saw $$$.  Since they were approved for $1.5 million she was determined to get as close to the limit as possible.  He was nerdy, but I thought he was nice-looking enough to have met a nicer woman than her.  What a piece of work she was. 

He was too nice for her…

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Good for Miss Indiana for buying her first home, but I didn't like anything about the shotgun house.  

I fast forwarded to almost the end (it’s what I do sometimes…don’t judge) and, I see the young lady near her bed & then I see someone open and walk in what looks to be the front door. I’m like WTH is that???? It’s nice she bought her first home at a young age but there is no way I’m buying that house. No way! No how! Actually, I don’t think I would have bought any of the homes shown. Slim pickens with that budget in Indiana. Yikes!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I fast forwarded to almost the end (it’s what I do sometimes…don’t judge) and, I see the young lady near her bed & then I see someone open and walk in what looks to be the front door. I’m like WTH is that???? It’s nice she bought her first home at a young age but there is no way I’m buying that house. No way! No how! Actually, I don’t think I would have bought any of the homes shown. Slim pickens with that budget in Indiana. Yikes!

I agree, I didn't like any of the houses.  Was one of the houses in Kentucky?

• Love 2
(edited)

I do think the Indiana house hunter said at least one was in Kentucky.   But, can she keep her title of Miss Indiana if she lives in Kentucky?   A lot of people live in Indiana or Kentucky and commute across to the other state.  

I think the door into the bedroom could work, but I would change to a solid door, with a covered peephole, and a deadbolt.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I do think the Indiana house hunter said at least one was in Kentucky.   But, can she keep her title of Miss Indiana if she lives in Kentucky?   

Yeah, I thought I remembered one of the houses being in Kentucky, I'm not sure if that's the one she chose.  For her small budget she wasn't going to get a really fancy house, but none of those houses were appealing.

I looked her up and she was Miss Indiana 2019 and there's a new one for 2020.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I really like the Charleston S.C. Couple. The show seemed a lot less scripted because the both of them were calling each other out on things and then cracking up. I liked the house they chose but those steps would be a killer after a  while but I got the impression this wasn’t their forever home. I did like the one with the pool but she had qualms since their kids were little and didn’t even swim. She did a great job decorating the place and I agree after this year that a dedicated work space is nice to have. If you are going to have to (or want) it’s nice to have an area away from the kids and or noise. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I really like the Charleston S.C. Couple. The show seemed a lot less scripted because the both of them were calling each other out on things and then cracking up. I liked the house they chose but those steps would be a killer after a  while but I got the impression this wasn’t their forever home. I did like the one with the pool but she had qualms since their kids were little and didn’t even swim. She did a great job decorating the place and I agree after this year that a dedicated work space is nice to have. If you are going to have to (or want) it’s nice to have an area away from the kids and or noise. 

I thought the opposite. I hate when the one who doesn't work at home thinks the at home worker doesn't need a office. But then I also hate people who want "farm chic" or whatever. I think they over spent and that stupid EAT sign in the kitchen/every single public room was just the cherry on the turd sundae. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The young couple from San Francisco looking for a weekend getaway in Sonoma were insufferable. They don't know the first thing about making wine but buy a fixer on a vineyard because that's what she wants. They'll just hire a vineyard manager to take care of it. Where the money is coming from to buy a nearly million dollar starter house, renovate it,  and pay the salaries of vineyard personnel and the costs associated with winemaking  is a mystery. And property taxes are never mentioned. Those two either have incredibly well paying jobs or incredibly generous, wealthy parents. I suspect the latter. Must be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Good for Miss Indiana for buying her first home, but I didn't like anything about the shotgun house.  

When I was at LSU majoring in Anthropology, lo these many years ago, I did a class project involving a stunning double shotgun in the French Quarter. It was a gem. Even then, I wouldn’t live in a shotgun because of the configuration. Having to walk through all the rooms to get to the kitchen (always in the back) is a hard no for me. Miss Indiana‘ house (I thought “beauty queens” were tall) wasn’t wide enough to build a hall in. Oh, and Miss Indiana, barn doors aren’t “trending.” They are passé.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

On some of the flipping shows (The Deed, New Orleans, for one), some of the double shotguns that were previously a duplex, or gutted to the outside walls, then when they put it back together they put in a hallway.   So you didn't have to go through every room to get to the other rooms.    

I enjoyed the Miss Indiana episode.      I was glad to see someone at a young age buy a house, and stick to their own budget.   I suspect some of the budget storylines on this show are just for the show, so I bet the real budget, and parameters for the house hunt are created to get decoy houses that match the real house they already own.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I thought the realtor/friend gave Miss Indiana some good advice throughout the show.  I especially liked that she told her she should be buy a house because it had a barn door, because that was a feature she could add to any house after purchase.  

Shotgun houses aren't my favorite, but like CrazyInAlabama noted, a double shotgun house is wide enough to have a hallway so that rooms can be separate.  Shout out to Littleiggy - Geaux Tigers!  I'm an LSU alumni.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Shotgun houses aren't my favorite, but like CrazyInAlabama noted, a double shotgun house is wide enough to have a hallway so that rooms can be separate.  Shout out to Littleiggy - Geaux Tigers!  I'm an LSU alumni.

Most of the shotgun houses I'm aware of have a hallway from the front to back or the bedrooms open directly from the main rooms. For instance, the living room, dining room, kitchen are on one side of the house and you enter the bedrooms, which are on the other side of the house, through doors from those rooms. Hope that's clear. 

LSU Tiger here!!!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Most of the shotgun houses I'm aware of have a hallway from the front to back or the bedrooms open directly from the main rooms. For instance, the living room, dining room, kitchen are on one side of the house and you enter the bedrooms, which are on the other side of the house, through doors from those rooms. Hope that's clear. 

LSU Tiger here!!!

Originally, shotgun houses were like the one Miss Indiana bought. You could shoot a shotgun through the front door and it would go straight though the room doors to the back. 
We need to have an LSU party, mes amies! 🥳

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I thought the opposite. I hate when the one who doesn't work at home thinks the at home worker doesn't need a office. But then I also hate people who want "farm chic" or whatever. I think they over spent and that stupid EAT sign in the kitchen/every single public room was just the cherry on the turd sundae. 

Agree 100%!!! I thought the husband was a jerk...especially with his "waste of space" obession and "multi use space" aka home office/playroom/ catch all or storage. What an obnoxious asshat. That "cottage" was really a townhouse without any amenties or an outdoor space but yet the hubby thought it would "work" even though there was no deck or outdoor space for the kids...oh...and the kids would have to share a room. Why even bother to move? Oh yeah...because hubby wanted to be close to town and the beach. Putting his wish list ahead of his family. And the wife...the constant giggling, laughing at everything...had she been vaping pot before taping this? In the end they chose the right house despite the "waste of space" issue hubby kept harping on.

• Love 4

I think there is a rule of reason in terms of multi-use rooms.

Clearly moving into that glorified townhouse was ridiculous. It wasn't a famlly home - maybe if one has an older kid to put in the downstairs room, it might make sense.

But I don't even really understand the benefit of the location - once you have to get in a car, what difference does it make whether you are a five minute drive or a 15 minute drive - you still have to shlep anything you want or need. That is completely different than having a home that is actually on the waterfront or at least the same block as the water.

On the other hand, I don't understand why someone needs to have a room that is completely dedicated to potential guests and is used for no other purpose. Of course there might be an exception where you have people who stay for significant periods of time but in general. it seems like a completely waste of space - most rooms can handle being a home office and serve as the occasional guest bedroom as well. 

As an offshoot, it is also strange to me that people are willing to pay significant costs to have a second bedroom for "guests" in an urban area. I have lived in urban areas and most people   don't spend the premium - their guests either crash in the living room or if they are parents (for example), I have given my bedroom for them to use. And if they don't like the accommodations, there are BnB or hotels available so that I don't have to spend several thousand dollars each year for someone else's bedroom. If one is using it as a home office most of the time. that's different but - at least in my experience - the second bedroom in a place like NYC or Paris or London is so high that most people find a way to use their bedroom or a nook as their home office rather than paying for a second bedroom.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Ft Collins, Colorado. She is the worst. Hubby should run far away, she is going to want to renovate every few years. We bitch about people wanting white kitchens, she wants a white house. I don't understand the whole influencer thing. Why do people care what some stranger wears? Maybe he'll "accidently" shoot her on the archery range.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, nb360 said:

How long do you give the marriage of the couple in Fort Collins? I say two or three more years, less if there is a  child soon.

OMG! She was awful. What a spoiled diva…and him with an archery range in the garage/basement. The two of them were making me crazy.

6 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Calling it before I start.  Gonna dislike this vapid "Influencer" in Colorado.  Prob hubby too....

She thinks she’s a member of the Kardashian family. She reminds me of Snooki from Jersey Shore.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

Fort Collins - When he said six months ago she liked the farmhouse look with the white kitchen cabinets - or however he put it - I thought in six months she will be renovating everything again.  I don't see that marriage lasting very long.  She gets bored too easily and will get bored with him too. I just hope one of the first things they did was build a fence for Bella (that was the house without anything done to the back yard, right?).  

• Like 1
  • Love 10
49 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Ugh, the Fort Collins wife she is an influence alright. She influenced me to change they channel on her wanna be pain in the ass.

How pathetic do people need to be to take advice from someone so vapid, selfish, unpleasant, and clueless.  What a supercilious ass!

Is HH actually looking for this type of female?  There have been some really dreadful women lately.  I check in for a few minutes but when I see someone like her, that's the end for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 13
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Originally, shotgun houses were like the one Miss Indiana bought. You could shoot a shotgun through the front door and it would go straight though the room doors to the back.

It just occurred to me that these should be called rifle houses. Shotguns kind of spray the shot, while rifles shoot one thing straight.  (I always wondered how people could shoot a flying bird out of the sky, and then I learned about shotguns.)

4 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I just hope one of the first things they did was build a fence for Bella (that was the house without anything done to the back yard, right?).  

I can't remember if that's the one they picked, but one of the houses had a fence that was two horizontal pieces wood with space below and in between, and they said Bella was going to love that back yard.  No way that that fence was going to hold her in.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Fort Collins - When he said six months ago she liked the farmhouse look with the white kitchen cabinets - or however he put it - I thought in six months she will be renovating everything again.  I don't see that marriage lasting very long.  She gets bored too easily and will get bored with him too. I just hope one of the first things they did was build a fence for Bella (that was the house without anything done to the back yard, right?).  

I lived in Colorado for almost eight years, many subdivisions don't allow more fencing, some don't allow any fencing.   I know people who moved to the developments with higher HOAs, and that includes all landscaping, and outside maintenance, and that means you can't put anything to block the lawn mower crews from working.    I've known people who looked at some of the two rail fence subdivisions, and some allowed you to put small mesh wire fencing inside the yard side of the fence, but some don't.  They expect you to use invisible fence, or walk the dog on a big long leash.    

Whenever the house hunters are any kind of internet 'celebrity' or influencer I turn the channel.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
On 6/17/2021 at 10:29 PM, jacksgirl said:

Quit trying to make "Cloffice" happen.

And her new light fixture over the sink was fugly.

The Washington Post had an article about “cloffices”: closets turned into office space by people working at home. Most of the comments to the article were derisive of the concept. A lot of people were like me and said they needed their closet space! 
Bella (bet they named her after the dog in that movie about the dog traveling back home) you need to run away before they build that fence!

22 hours ago, nb360 said:

How long do you give the marriage of the couple in Fort Collins? I say two or three more years, less if there is a  child soon.

Please don’t let them breed! 😱

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/17/2021 at 11:05 PM, edie3 said:

🤮

Watching now. Cloffice?!?!?! Um, okay. She is a part time influenceer? Is that a thing? Does she get an income from being a part time one? She has thousands of followers. Shouldn’t she have millions? Anyway, I think hubby might want to run in the other direction. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 6/11/2021 at 5:37 AM, cameron said:

The Chicago optician with all the ink on his body.  Wonder what his patients think about that.  Thought they were both over the top.

Wonder if he is a transplant to the area.  Sure doesn't sound like a native Chicagoan to me.

Agree about the tats….he sounded like he was from Boston. Also, I think he was on the Spectrum…probably Aspergers. I have a family member with Aspergers and he reminded me a lot of him. His mannerisms, the way he talked, his peculiarities like not having a drivers license, riding his bike to work in a snowstorm, privacy in the kitchen while cooks, etc…very Aspie like.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am upset that the influencer didn't even seem to notice that her husband put a not on trend light bulb into the new light fixture he was shown installing over her kitchen sink. 

I thought all of the houses were terrible and looked cheap, builder grade materials and outdated, along with terrible floor plans and all a bit claustrophobic. 

I hope the dog is happy. His parents seemed nice. He was a bit as over the top as she was with his pasta and gas stove needs.

I didn't like the realtor. This episode was terrible.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Fort Collins.  She was so awful.  Had to be in my top ten of most unlikeable house hunters. She was definitely channeling Kim Kardashian.  Why is that guy with her?  I don't see this marriage lasting.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Portland OR couple, glad they picked the 3rd house, it was the best choice for them. Woman was annoying, huge fear of missing out. Is she 18?  Know what? Make your own fun then you won't miss out on anything.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 5