Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Jess14 said:

It’s kind of appalling that a $400k budget only gets you those rundown crappy houses in LA….the buyer was quite likeable though. She is a true “look on the bright side” type of person, and that was refreshing to see. I hope the purple house works out for her. It looked very sketchy to me. 

My brother was house shopping last fall in Southern California. He started out with a budget of $600,000. Couldn't find anything decent. Raised his budget to $650,000. Still had to go over that amount and ended up with a fixer in a neighborhood he didn't really want to be in.

My son and his spouse own a condo in one of the beach cities. The value of their condo went up by over $30K in less than one year. The market in So Cal is nuts.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Dang--I missed the episode.  What is a European (or Chinese) bathroom?

The shower consists of a shower head and a drain in the floor right underneath. No curtain, no enclosure at all.

12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I called it a Chinese bathroom. I had to use one like that in China. 

I had a bathroom like that when I lived in Puerto Rico in the 60's.  Never saw one like that before nor since!!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:43 AM, rhofmovalley said:

My brother was house shopping last fall in Southern California. He started out with a budget of $600,000. Couldn't find anything decent. Raised his budget to $650,000. Still had to go over that amount and ended up with a fixer in a neighborhood he didn't really want to be in.

My son and his spouse own a condo in one of the beach cities. The value of their condo went up by over $30K in less than one year. The market in So Cal is nuts.

It's absurd...my daughter and son in law have been looking to rent an apartment since the lease on their current one is up soon...a two  bedroom in a decent area like Marina Del Rey or Tarzana start at $3,500 and go up $4,600!!! 

Edited by Hedgehog2022
  • Love 2

The young English Professor from Holland featured in the Durham NC episode command of the english language was perfect.  No accent at all, especially since he didn't leave the Netherlands until he was pursuing his PhD.  Must have learned his american style speech from watching a lot of american type tv shows.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Durham, NC couple was pleasant, so I enjoyed watching this episode.   

Lovely couple!! 

Did you happen to catch what she did for a living? 

I think I heard him say he was an online English professor who teaches in INDIA???

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Durham, NC couple was pleasant, so I enjoyed watching this episode.   

they were a pleasure to watch.  No big drama and, more importantly, no snarking between them.  Refreshing.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cameron said:

The young English Professor from Holland featured in the Durham NC episode command of the english language was perfect.  No accent at all, especially since he didn't leave the Netherlands until he was pursuing his PhD.  Must have learned his american style speech from watching a lot of american type tv shows.

The educational system in the Scandinavian countries does an excellent job of teaching English to kids.  They start in the primary grades and virtually everyone is fluent by the time they're out of high school.  I've traveled over there and essentially everyone I met under the age of 70 had no problems at all conversing in English exclusively.  They know slang, can make puns and plays on words.  Very impressive.

I stayed in Norway which is the first time I encountered a 'European bathroom'.  Interesting experience.  In Norway, American TV shows are popular and are shown in English with Norwegian subtitles.  Most of the shops and restaurants had signs and menus in English, with Norwegian underneath.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, cameron said:

Durham english professor husband.  Found it interesting that he teaches remotely from Durham to India.  Wonder what university?

His Dutch accent was very slight; I wonder at what age he arrived in the U.S. I'd never heard of the Dutch being a frugal people. I thought that title went to the Scottish. No offense. I liked the house they chose and thought the kitchen was fine and didn't need renovating.

ETA: posted my comments before seeing @Rootbeer informative post about the Scandinavian educational system. 

Edited by ECM1231
3 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I'd never heard of the Dutch being a frugal people.

Interesting.  I thought that was a pretty well-known stereotype (thus "going Dutch").  In my limited experience, I think they tend to indeed be frugal in the best sense of the word, being practical and spending their money wisely.

5 hours ago, cameron said:

The young English Professor from Holland featured in the Durham NC episode command of the english language was perfect.

I was struck by that when I traveled there - not only do the overwhelming majority of people speak English (something like 90% - it's a second language taught in most schools from early on), they generally speak it well.

• Love 5
On 2/3/2022 at 9:31 PM, Grizzly said:

Durham, NC. Two young professionals with a more realistic budget. Agree with Taylor that house #1 is too small. It wasn't laid out well. I thought #2 was a good option. Did #3 have a second bathroom? Really only that European bathroom needed renovating. The kitchen was fine. I thought at 309, it was going to be a train wreck. I never thought of NC as a big snake state. 

As soon as she said "I grew up in a blue house" I knew which one they were picking. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

His Dutch accent was very slight; I wonder at what age he arrived in the U.S. I'd never heard of the Dutch being a frugal people. I thought that title went to the Scottish. No offense. I liked the house they chose and thought the kitchen was fine and didn't need renovating.

ETA: posted my comments before seeing @Rootbeer informative post about the Scandinavian educational system. 

I didn't find any dutch accent at all except when he mimic his parent's thoughts on the house buying experience.  And from my experience of living on the German economy for three years, they do try to watch a lot of american tv to perfect their accent as oppose to having an english accent.  The english language is the second language taught in their schools from early on.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, cameron said:

I didn't find any dutch accent at all except when he mimic his parent's thoughts on the house buying experience.  And from my experience of living on the German economy for three years, they do try to watch a lot of american tv to perfect their accent as oppose to having an english accent.  The english language is the second language taught in their schools from early on.

I found the same thing.  When I was in Norway, a tour guide told me that the Norwegian government decided after WWII that English was the language of the future and that every kid should learn it.  They do learn 'British' English in that elevators are lifts and car trunks are the boot; but, the young kids, especially, seem to aspire to sound American.  More than a couple kids asked me if their accent sounded 'American' and all the younger generation listened to American music and the kids would sing or rap along with it, working on their accents.

I attended a hockey game while I was there and had the rather surreal experience of hearing thousands of Norwegians singing along with Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart while doing the dance,  Very unexpected, to say the least.  This was in the 90's, I'm sure they're singing and dancing to something more modern now,

Edited by Rootbeer
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/4/2022 at 10:59 AM, LittleIggy said:

The shower consists of a shower head and a drain in the floor right underneath. No curtain, no enclosure at all.

Is it designed so the other fixtures don't get wet?  On HHI you see "wet baths" in places like Thailand(?) where the whole bathroom is the shower.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is it designed so the other fixtures don't get wet?  On HHI you see "wet baths" in places like Thailand(?) where the whole bathroom is the shower.

Nope, it's just like that, the whole bathroom is the shower and the toilet, sink, etc all get wet.  The main issue I had with it was I had to strip outside the bathroom or toss my clothes out before turning on the water and, then, when I was done, go out of the bathroom to get a towel since it would've been drenched if I'd kept it with me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Nope, it's just like that, the whole bathroom is the shower and the toilet, sink, etc all get wet.  

I stayed in a few minimalist hotels in France & Moroco that had these. I guess they are easier for the cleaners to clean.  It worked but was a pain because you had to set your toiletries, toilet paper & towels outside the door, often on the floor because they didn't even have a chair to set them on.  If I had such a setup in a spare bathroom, I'd put a cubby with waterproof door on the far side of the room from the showerhead to keep toiletries in and a towel bar right outside the door so you could grab it and dry off in the shower room.  Sort of like the dorms I lived in ages ago.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

They had a marathon of recent episodes on HGTV this morning.   The people in Monroe, Washington who want to build an ADU for the mother, have goats and chickens, and all on less than three acres.    I'm betting they won't have a bunch of chickens and goats next to the mother's ADU.   

The couple, I think in Kansas City.   He wanted a good value, and was fine with a fixer, and the wife demanded to get everything she wanted, and didn't care if they could afford it or not.  She actually said she didn't care how much her dream home cost.   

A nurse anesthetist shopping for a part time home in Kansas City, West Plaza area, I'm not liking her real estate agent.  Just because the house hunter makes a great salary, the agent keeps saying she can afford up to $800k, when her budget was $200k or less.    The one she bought was over price, but she's in a great location, and close enough to the football stadium to have great rental.    She said that she's rented the house for two months at $200 a night.    

She's paying off student loans, and mortgage on her house in Topeka (or Wichita? I missed it).    She will live in her original house, and spend weekends, and time off in Kansas City.   That's why she wanted the West Plaza location, for the shops, restaurants, and other fun things to do.   I hated the one on the Kansas side.    The houses around it looked run down. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Kansas City. She must have been so busy that she didn't hear about the insane real estate market. A house with no projects in a city for 200k, is she on drugs? And I've never seen a queen bunkbed. Would you have ladders on both sides? I missed it, why does she need to keep her first house?

• Love 5
On 2/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

A nurse anesthetist shopping for a part time home in Kansas City, West Plaza area, I'm not liking her real estate agent.  Just because the house hunter makes a great salary, the agent keeps saying she can afford up to $800k, when her budget was $200k or less.    The one she bought was over price, but she's in a great location, and close enough to the football stadium to have great rental.    She said that she's rented the house for two months at $200 a night.    

She's paying off student loans, and mortgage on her house in Topeka (or Wichita? I missed it).    She will live in her original house, and spend weekends, and time off in Kansas City.   That's why she wanted the West Plaza location, for the shops, restaurants, and other fun things to do.   I hated the one on the Kansas side. The houses around it looked run down.

I disliked the realtor, too. Being approved for a large mortgage doesn't mean that the buyer is obligated to spend up to the maximum. Nurse anesthetists earn very good salaries, but the buyer probably had a significant student loan amount. Her principal home in Topeka only set her back $105,000, so her purchase price of 285K is almost 3x the cost. However, I do agree it was the best choice for her.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Kansas City. She must have been so busy that she didn't hear about the insane real estate market. A house with no projects in a city for 200k, is she on drugs? And I've never seen a queen bunkbed. Would you have ladders on both sides? I missed it, why does she need to keep her first house?

Nurse anesthetist lives and works in Topeka, but enjoys the night life and other things that Kansas City offers. However, it's a 63 mile distance from her job in Topeka and she doesn't want that daily commute. So, she's buying a smaller KC home where she can retreat to on weekends, but also has rental potential when she's not there.

• Love 3

I bet she bought it as an investment property, since she was already renting it out (it's near the football stadium apparently), so I think we saw the 'party' at her new part-time home and that's probably the only time she'll be there.   I bet a management company will do the short term rentals, and cleaning, etc. and it will be rented as often as she can.    During football season, I bet it will be rented constantly.   If she really rents it for $200 a night, then I bet that even with the management and cleaning bills, and the taxes she'll have to pay on it, she'll pay it off in no time. 

My guess is that when she's on-call that she has to be 20 minutes or less from the hospital, or stay there during her shift.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Pj3422, maybe she's not a football fan, and doesn't want to be there for game weekends.  I agree with CrazyInAlabama that she will have a rental company manage it for her, and it will be a short term rental property.  She can control which weekends (or days) she wants to occupy it herself that way.  I didn't like any of the houses, but $200,000 doesn't buy what it used to.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet she bought it as an investment property, since she was already renting it out (it's near the football stadium apparently), so I think we saw the 'party' at her new part-time home and that's probably the only time she'll be there.   I bet a management company will do the short term rentals, and cleaning, etc. and it will be rented as often as she can.    During football season, I bet it will be rented constantly.   If she really rents it for $200 a night, then I bet that even with the management and cleaning bills, and the taxes she'll have to pay on it, she'll pay it off in no time. 

My guess is that when she's on-call that she has to me 20 minutes or less from the hospital, or stay there during her shift.   

Just looked up that area and it's 12.3 miles away from Arrowhead Stadium.  Not exactly next door, especially in game day traffic.  

Edited by cameron
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

She said something about football.   Maybe people want the local amenities, and are willing to travel to the stadium?    

I wonder what the short-term rental attraction is for that property?   I guess we'll never know.

I bet the owner's realtor either manages property, or there's part of her real estate firm that manages everything, and has cleaning crews, and maintenance people on call.    My guess is that 'party' was the only time she was at the property, because I bet it's rented out constantly.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that when she's on-call that she has to me 20 minutes or less from the hospital, or stay there during her shift.   

I felt bad for her dogs. I hope she has someone who let's them out when she has a long shift.

• Love 2

Atlanta area. That woman had me talking to the TV a lot! You want to be in the country but don't want any land? You're afraid of a gas stove but think ghosts are charming? You didn't like the rooms in the craftsman house even though it looked a lot like your mom's? I can't believe she's a psychologist. After watching this, I'd be canceling my appointments. And I don't care how big the dogs are, what do 2 people need with 2700 Sq ft?!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Pegasaurus said:

She came across as a nut, imo.  And why did both of the buyers constantly refer to their pets by the breed name?  We get it, you have two lovely Vizla's.  Don't most people say "this would be a great yard for the dogs" ? Or "a great yard for (dogs names)" ?  I just got a lot of weird vibes from this pair.  Especially the "psychologist".  

The house they picked is nice.  So much house and property for $705K! (I live in California - very different scene here.  🥺

OMG! I was going to post the same thing! Who says that? I never referred to my beloved Claudia (I still miss her after 10 years…) as “the Italian Greyhound.” 
The wife annoyed the 💩 out of me, too. Wonder if she had any patients?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

And I don't care how big the dogs are, what do 2 people need with 2700 Sq ft?!

I know a couple with no children, at their ages will not be having children, no nieces or nephews or other family that moved from a 3,000+ square foot house to one over 5,000 square feet.  I asked his mother WHY? She just said "I don't know why." Most couples start to downsize in their 50's and 60's but they keep buying bigger houses. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I know a couple with no children, at their ages will not be having children, no nieces or nephews or other family that moved from a 3,000+ square foot house to one over 5,000 square feet.  I asked his mother WHY? She just said "I don't know why." Most couples start to downsize in their 50's and 60's but they keep buying bigger houses. 

I used to live in a 1350 square foot townhouse. I felt like I was rattling around in there. I had huge empty spaces in the living area with no furniture. It looked weird. And I sometimes would go sit in the guest room just so I would feel like I used it, even though I never did. Sometimes peed in the guest toilet too even though I had my own absolutely massive en suite bathroom.

I downsized. It was just too much. And that was only 1350 square feet.

Wonder if Princess will deign to clean that ridiculously huge home or will she force two hour commute hubby to do it.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

Watching the couple buying a house in GA.  At  the first house the wife was horrified by a  beautiful, high-end, gas stove in the kitchen.  She said she was nervous about gas stoves because she thinks she'd leave the burner on and much preferred an electric stove. Like electric stovetops turn off by themselves? 

The look on the realtors face said "WTF?".  I agreed. 

Just my mischievous streak, but I really want to tell her that the ghosts left the gas on. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

The GA episode was bizarre.  I bet the remark about the dog breeds was supposed to impress everyone that she has expensive dogs.    The wife's routine about the gas stove was ridiculous, gas or electric can be left on, they do make timers for stoves though, it turns the stove off after a certain time.   

I can't believe the husband will have to commute 1 or 2 times a week to Atlanta, and it's a minimum 2 hours trip each way.      Just to avoid the commute, I would have bought the house in Atlanta.     I'm wondering if the house they bought was close to her mother's home?   I would have bought the third house, with the two income properties.  Maybe the mother would eventually want to move into one of the cottages?   

The size of the property they bought was ridiculous.   I'm betting they'll have to get someone to mow that gigantic lawn, maintain the wooded areas, and probably have regular house keeping.     The wife's objections to the Atlanta house certainly established her as a picky princess.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
On 2/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They had a marathon of recent episodes on HGTV this morning.   The people in Monroe, Washington who want to build an ADU for the mother, have goats and chickens, and all on less than three acres.    I'm betting they won't have a bunch of chickens and goats next to the mother's ADU.   

The couple, I think in Kansas City.   He wanted a good value, and was fine with a fixer, and the wife demanded to get everything she wanted, and didn't care if they could afford it or not.  She actually said she didn't care how much her dream home cost.   

She's paying off student loans, and mortgage on her house in Topeka (or Wichita? I missed it).    She will live in her original house, and spend weekends, and time off in Kansas City.   That's why she wanted the West Plaza location, for the shops, restaurants, and other fun things to do.   I hated the one on the Kansas side.    The houses around it looked run down. 

It seemed to me she was looking to buy a house as an ARBNB. I just didn't understand why she was buying another house when she had student loan debt and a mortgage on the house she lives in currently. And she brought this up several times as she was remarking about how nervous she was buying another home because of these issues. 

I was also struck at how she and the real estate agent dressed for this show...the nurse wore some sexy outfits and the real estate agent had a lot of cleavage showing. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The GA episode was bizarre.  I bet the remark about the dog breeds was supposed to impress everyone that she has expensive dogs.    The wife's routine about the gas stove was ridiculous, gas or electric can be left on, they do make timers for stoves though, it turns the stove off after a certain time.   

I can't believe the husband will have to commute 1 or 2 times a week to Atlanta, and it's a minimum 2 hours trip each way.      Just to avoid the commute, I would have bought the house in Atlanta.     I'm wondering if the house they bought was close to her mother's home?   I would have bought the third house, with the two income properties.  Maybe the mother would eventually want to move into one of the cottages?   

The size of the property they bought was ridiculous.   I'm betting they'll have to get someone to mow that gigantic lawn, and probably have regular house keeping.     The wife's objections to the Atlanta house certainly established her as a picky princess.    

OMG!!! She was awful! She was so immature and totally inappropriate with her nasty remarks to her husband. And she's a psychologist???!!!! That house was ridiculously oversized for the two of them. Seems like if they've been married for ten years and she's still on the fence about having kids, it probably won't happen. He was way too passive and should have put his foot down about living so far away from where he works.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I used to live in a 1350 square foot townhouse. I felt like I was rattling around in there. I had huge empty spaces in the living area with no furniture. It looked weird. And I sometimes would go sit in the guest room just so I would feel like I used it, even though I never did. Sometimes peed in the guest toilet too even though I had my own absolutely massive en suite bathroom.

I downsized. It was just too much. And that was only 1350 square feet.

Wonder if Princess will deign to clean that ridiculously huge home or will she force two hour commute hubby to do it.

She did say she wants what she wants and she’s going to get what she wants..I’m so sick of hearing spoiled princesses say that on this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Tonight's new episode is interesting.   A couple who have an online clothing and purse store, were in Puerto Rico, and after the husband's father died, they're moving back to where he's from, Indianapolis to take over the family pizza parlor.  Their second baby is in the NICU, but will be coming home soon.      They want a house to move into soon, but if they travel back to Puerto Rico they want to rent it out.   They keep asking if they can buy the staging furniture, trying to fool us?    They want a basement to have their clothing store inventory, so I would look for a house with a big family room, so everything is on the main floor.  

They're looking near Fountain Square, for viewers of Good Bones, that certainly sounds familiar. Also, Garfield Park, and Sobro (whatever that is).   I love the realtors optimism on the first house, where he says $5,000 will fix the kitchen-I disagree.    And the main bathroom is hysterically lout of date .   A budget of $250k to $350k is not great for Indianapolis these days.   

I can't believe they bought a two bedroom, one bath house, and it was two stories too.     The second house (I think the second) with that smelly, nasty basement was awful.    If you have that musty, moldy smell in a basement, then there's something very wrong with it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Indianapolis 

It didn't seem like any of the homes were all that suitable for what this couple wanted, not for living with two children, not for rental income. I gather people like to walk to breweries, and that brewery-hopping is a draw for Indianapolis? The home they chose sure looked like a Good Bones home and so did the handful of homes they showed. Could this, too, be a draw? 

Puzzling. 

• Love 5
On 1/27/2022 at 3:35 PM, Hedgehog2022 said:

I hated the house he eventually bought. It was just ugly and had too many things that needed updated/fixed and the backyard was awful...just dirt and a hodgepodge of plants and weeds. Also, little privacy with neighbors surrounding him and no fences or shrubbery to create privacy. The first house was pristine...might have needed a few cosmetic fixes but otherwise a true mid century modern. He could have put up a fence or  had some creative landscaping done to cushion his property from the street noise. The yard on the first home was beautiful.

I was praying he didn’t buy the first house. With the original bathroom and kitchen that he was ready to destroy. He professed to want a mid century modern but he was ready to rip out defining original features. So full of shit. I’m glad he took the ugly abomination   

• Love 3

My guess is that she had the baby unexpectedly while visiting Indianapolis and they decided to stay a while until they are sure he is OK and either sell or find a good manager for the pizza businesses. They will move back to PR and rent the houses out as an Airbnb football party house and annoy the neighbors. The only time they will use it is when they visit Indianapolis at Christmas and maybe school breaks.

The wife was annoying. "I wouldn't feel comfortable cooking in that kitchen." The one with the checkerboard floor and I guess cabinets and counters that were old. The appliances were all stainless which we know is essential for good tasting food.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

The appliances were all stainless which we know is essential for good tasting food.

Yes, it's a mystery why people elect to my eat food when I have white appliances.  Shocking.

I think you analysis is correct.  That whole story was cockamamie.

• Love 11

I'm wondering if they knew the baby would have to come early, or would have issues, so they went back to Indianapolis and stayed when the husband's father died, though they didn't specify when that happened.      

Yes, all of the houses looked like flips, I guess all of the flippers and decorators copy each other.   I was watching The Deed: Chicago and Sean said that for remodels, you go classic, but flips sell better and for more when you do trendy.   I don't really understand why, but he certainly knows about real estate. 

If the Indy couple would have gone outside the city, then they could have bought a lot more house for their money, including a house with a big family or bonus room for their online store inventory.  I was underwhelmed at the house they bought.    Actually, they could have had a 4 bed 3 bath with a lovely basement, not far from where they were looking, for $365,000.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3