Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E24: Sean LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

I thought he died because of complications from an infection?! Why are they making it seem like he just died from being obese?

2 minutes ago, Julyolo said:

I'm glad Dr. Now didn't dump him. It was really the only relationship Sean had left with anyone. Good nite all.

Very true. 

Good night, my peeps!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

I thought he died because of complications from an infection?! Why are they making it seem like he just died from being obese?

Basically true though. The infections were caused by his obesity and a weakened cardiovascular system and poor hygiene 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Good night, everyone!  This show was more boring than depressing, which is somewhat unexpected for an episode where someone dies, but I suppose, not surprising given it was about Sean. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

He did. His heart was probably weakened by the infection, along with all the other issues, and it was due, specifically from his obesity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, that was every bit as bad as expected. Thanks for sharing here and making it bearable. Couldn’t have made it through this without y’all! Good night!

Edited by Miracle Maxie
Damn you autocorrect
  • Love 4

Dr Now, you are a good guy.

btw - am I the only one who smiles when they see 'Dr Nowzaradan, bariatric surgeon' every time he comes on? Like it's been, what 8 yrs? I can see doing it at the beginning of the show, but not all through it. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

My feelings about him being on the spectrum (I have a sadly extreme amount of experience) comes from his initial story. His childhood stories and photos pinged my radar. The biting was a red flag. The extreme reactions, again, right from childhood if his story is to be believed. 80% of all marriages with autistic children end in divorce. If his father couldn’t handle an “odd” son that could explain his checking out and his mother being over protective. And he could be more towards the aspergers’ end so his ability to happily drop out of life (no social skills), but be quite verbal and intelligent when he wants to be could be explained. Again, just a theory. It could also explain his inability to get himself roused to save his own life because he had convinced himself life was awful, nothing good could ever happen to him, only bad things happen, etc. his Dr appointed therapies were all the wrong ones so they never had any hope of helping him. All he wanted was to be in a safe space.

Agree completely, thank you.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Has any other poundticipant had 3 episodes?

Charity of the wings

joe of the go fund me wedding

melissa Morris 

lupe of the gangrene sex

christina who became anorexic

quite a few actually

Edited by Wanda
Added Christina
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

I must have missed the part where he actually applied any effort!  He only succeeded in facilities where all the work was done for him.  

I agree.  Once he had access to ordering food it was “too hard to resist the cravings”.  He “needed someone” to stop him doing that.  No, that’s where the effort is needed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So where did grandpa come from? Did Sean ever have a relationship with him? Is he the grandfather from his dad's or "mudder's" side.

At least we got to see a lot of interaction between him and Dr. Now which was never shown in previous episodes.

Great hanging out with you all; couldn't have watched this without you.

Good night.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

“This episode is dedicated to Sean and his courageous battle with obesity.”

I guess I’ll be the asshole who says it.  I didn’t see anything courageous about this blob of a person or his constant whining and completely avoidable failure.

I agree completely!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Julyolo said:

Yes retirement is the best! It's like being a teenager with enough money, and your parents never come home!

I get my retirement check the first of the month and the SS on the 2nd  Wed of the month. I  worked 32 years in county government and loved my job. I lucked out in that so many others in the department had already retired that they had to give me an incentive to stay on to train my successor. So I asked for what I thought they would never agree to and surprise... they did. It made a huge difference in my monthly pension. So I enjoy have extra disposable income to treat my nieces and nephews, help them out with contributions to their purchase of a home or school. Just having my days to myself, I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do. 

Just thinking about Sean though, how could he even afford the food deliveries needed to gain that much weight that quickly. He literally had to eat nearly 24 hrs a day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

So he never even had surgery?

He had gastric sleeve in the 1st show. He was trying to get a revision this time around.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Julyolo said:

IMO he needed at least a year of intensive inpatient psychiatric treatment for multiple diagnoses and eating disorder. Grieve his mother. What she took from him. Learn about normative relationships. Discharge to adult congregate setting with case mgmt. and eventual goals of employment and independent living.

Bingo! We have a winner! Thank you.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

The infection keep reoccurring because he wouldn’t keep himself clean. Due to his obesity, he couldn’t fit into the shower at home. 

I think Sean subconsciously wanted to die. I think his spirit died when his mother died. She was his world and did everything for him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, littlebennysmom said:

The grandfather's reaction to his grandson dying?  "Okay, thanks for calling."  What.  The.  F*ck.

I’m thinking Sean and the grandfather probably didn’t have much of a relationship because the grandfather reacted to Sean’s death as if he had been told the weather was bad.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

For Dr. Now's program to work, or a psychiatric facility to treat him successfully, the patient has to want to get better.   Sadly, Sean doesn't want to get better.   

But there are psych medications to help turn that around, to treat the depression chemically. That would likely have been one of the first steps.

1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

I agree as well. It's that type of intensive psychiatric care that Sean needed and did not receive. Dr. Now should have realized by this point that his program wasn't working for Sean, couldn't work for him, and requested a psych eval when Sean was in the hospital. If he had received treatment in a psychiatric facility, that could have been the one thing that might have saved him.

I disagree. Even in a psychiatric hospital, there has to be a desire from the patient to want to get better. I never saw that with Sean. He wanted everyone else to do the work for him, which is why when he went home on his own and didn’t have a team of doctors and nurses catering to him, he would always gain the weight back and refused to keep himself clean.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I wish, I wish, I wish that had been an option but............. as we have seen before, unfortunately with dearly departed Kelly when she was in a rehab facility, those types of facilities cannot prevent a patient from ordering in as much crappy food as they desire. Crazy but it is what it is.

The point of placement in a psychiatric facility would not have been controlled diet, but for him to receive the intensive psychiatric care that he needed, if he were going to have a chance to turn his life around. And I think that care would likely have started with meds for his depression. Once they started to work, he probably would not have had so much craving for food.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

I disagree. Even in a psychiatric hospital, there has to be a desire from the patient to want to get better. I never saw that with Sean. He wanted everyone else to do the work for him, which is why when he went home on his own and didn’t have a team of doctors and nurses catering to him, he would always gain the weight back and refused to keep himself clean.

But there are lots of people who are committed involuntarily, such as after an unsuccessful suicide attempt. They don't all get better, but some do, in part due to the use of medications along with the intensive therapy. I'm not saying that Sean should have been committed; he could have signed himself in voluntarily.

2 hours ago, Suzywriter said:

Has any other poundticipant had 3 episodes?

Sean has had four episodes actually, as have the Assanti brothers. There are some others who have had three episodes.

• Useful 1