Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love when the kids all make up stories, and I loved all of these!

"You watched Caligula?" "YOU watched Caligula? What's Caligula?" 'We had to fire a gym teacher. And had a bake sale".

Of course the Beltchers have a crappy old video recorder instead cell phones with video cameras. Come on guys, go digital, you can find cheap camera phones!

Have I mentioned that Zeke is the best lately? Because he is. Loved his shout out to his step mom, and her yelling back! Zeke is just awesome, why cant he and Tina fall in love?!?!

• Love 4

That was so awesome. I couldn't stop laughing when the audience was all doing the armpit farting.

As always, the animation was fantastic. I love all the detail they put into the staging of each imagined play. The wire work in Gene's, the puppeteers in Tina's, the backdrops moving to simulate the kids walking were so neat. 

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, Amethyst said:

What I don't believe is that Teddy is still their only regular after all this time.  The restaurant is right by a tourist spot (Wonder Wharf) and even if they don't get lots of tourists, I'm surprised that the carnival employees don't stop in often.  I wonder if it's a budgetary thing; they're allotted funds for guest voice actors, but not additional voice actors on a regular basis (although Larry Murphy voices Teddy, and he was just promoted to regular status) so there's Teddy and no one else.  Mort barely shows up anymore.

I assumed we only saw Teddy every week is because he's the only one who gets involved with their adventures. :-)

So Louise pantsed someone in honor of POCKET-sized Rudy?! Louise has come so far.

Louise behaving unethically or brattily for the greater good (or for kid-logic reasons) is much more entertaining than Louise being psychopathic. I'm glad they've moved her in this direction.

Poor Mr. Frond's mother.  Maybe Louise can start visiting her, and they can plan ways to annoy Mr. Frond.

I am absolutely rooting for Zeke and Tina.  He has a joie de vivre that makes him delightful.  And kudos to the writers for avoiding the standard redneck stereotypes with him.

• Love 9
(edited)

Neighbor: Gland Ho! Thyroid Exams

Exterminator: Me So Hornet

Burger(s) of The Day: Riding in Cars with Bok Choys Burger

Love the crummy parade, and I love any excuse to bring back Beefsquatch. I wasn't really feeling all the detours, except when the funeral procession started following them.

Tina was just the best. "Wipe that blackboard" is gonna go through my mind whenever I try to wave.

But god do I hate Jimmy Pesto, but seeing the Pestos get shot by tshirts was satisfying. Bob should really stop telling Pesto what he's doing, because he's always going to show up to try to one-up Bob at his own game.

"Hey Bobby! It's Teddy from before!" 

"You had me at 'pee everywhere!' I'm in!"

"We finally lost them."
"They'll find another funeral."

"Let's motorboat this float."

The one-liners were great tonight. See you all in the fall!

Edited by Galileo908
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Bob should really stop telling Pesto what he's doing, because he's always going to show up to try to one-up Bob at his own game.

Honestly! That was so frustrating to watch, because obviously Pesto is going to show up in the parade. It just made Bob seem stupid.

I just recently re-watched Glued, Where's My Bob, which I really, really loved. In comparison, this episode was kind of a letdown for a finale, IMO. The best part was everyone dancing over the end credits - that was very joyful, but it also sort of felt like the whole episode was reverse-engineered just to get to that point.

On the plus side, I do love how Teddy is basically a Belcher at this point and I'm incredibly happy any time Marshmallow shows up. Tina and Jimmy Jr. also have just about a real relationship, which is exciting!

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

But god do I hate Jimmy Pesto, but seeing the Pestos get shot by tshirts was satisfying. Bob should really stop telling Pesto what he's doing, because he's always going to show up to try to one-up Bob at his own game.

I hate Jimmy Pesto, too, and I was shouting (in my head) at Bob to shut up because obviously Jimmy was going to join the parade. Thus, I wasn't enjoying the ep until the very end when Bob's float won. I guess the prize money will just go toward repair the float engine.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

But god do I hate Jimmy Pesto, but seeing the Pestos get shot by tshirts was satisfying.

I always got the impression that Pesto's was just derivative Italian food. I don't know why Bob gets such a complex over him. Ziti with marinara sauce? Jimmy probably just puts out a plate of elbows and ketchup. 

Tina shooting Jimmy Jr with the shirt needs to end this relationship. You know who would be right up on that burger float? Zeke. That's who. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I always got the impression that Pesto's was just derivative Italian food. I don't know why Bob gets such a complex over him. Ziti with marinara sauce? Jimmy probably just puts out a plate of elbows and ketchup. 

Everything's under heat lamps, too. That's why I think Bob just hates him, Jimmy puts zero effort into his food, yet his place gets much more business than Bob's does. He's everything Bob isn't: A dick, not a good father, a mediocre cook, and successful.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

I don't get why Jimmy's does better though. If you go once, you know the food is terrible, so I don't see how it's sustainable. He probably doesn't even know what pesto is let alone how to make it. 

• Love 1

I've always gotten the impression that it's not necessarily terrible (unless you're a food critic/tend to only go to good non-chain restaurants) but rather just that it's completely forgettable, uninteresting, wouldn't use the word "good" exactly, but edible and familiar and ok-fine-whatever, and very accessible in a touristy part of town. Lots of mediocre restaurants in touristy areas thrive because they don't need repeat business. They just need people who are there today, not familiar with the area, and think "meh that looks fine". On the flipside, it doesn't make sense Bob's doesn't similarly benefit from just being there, unless their signage and whatnot really does make it look sketchy. But it's a conceit of the joke that he's great yet barely scrapes by and the not-really-even-attempting-to-please-the-crowds across the street has plenty of patrons.

• Love 1

Jimmy's looks worse than Olive Garden though. Not that Olive Garden is terrible, but I guess if you're in a hurry or have kids with you, it's a safe option. 

I don't know why I think so much about a cartoon restaurant. I don't think it's a consistent joke anyway because whenever the restaurant does get some PR, like on the cooking show, people literally line up at the doors. Someone said a couple of weeks ago, with all the personnel down at the marina, it's a wonder they aren't regulars. It really strikes me as a word of mouth place. 

Wasn't there another episode where Jimmy tried to put portajons in front of the restaurant, but Bob ended up serving food to everyone lined up in the street and they were selling out? 

I could buy that because the rent is so high and Bob puts most of the money into getting quality food that he doesn't have money to invest in a better store front, so it isn't appealing to tourists. He could put tables outside, or maybe post the menu in the window so people going by could see it. The board with the specials of the day, which is Bob's main claim, is only visible if you go inside. So maybe put that out in the window. 

I need this restaurant to do well. Jimmy is such a hack. I mean, what's not to like? 

• Love 4

Jimmy puts zero effort into his food, yet his place gets much more business than Bob's does. He's everything Bob isn't: A dick, not a good father, a mediocre cook, and successful.

Don't forget "sexual pervert". Nasty!

Not that Olive Garden is terrible

I'm comfortable saying that it IS pretty terrible. But a good comparison to Jimmy P's. Faux Italian. 

This episode was OK. Even OK Bob's is better than just about every other show, though. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I could buy that because the rent is so high and Bob puts most of the money into getting quality food that he doesn't have money to invest in a better store front, so it isn't appealing to tourists. He could put tables outside, or maybe post the menu in the window so people going by could see it.

If we're looking for plausible reasons why Bob's is struggling, emphasis mine above is pretty much enough to be it on its own. I do have some friends who own their own, not like Bob's, but moved from a too-small-to-function location to a much larger one and the business went from profitable to barely functioning just due to the rent, but it was market rate for the area so it was basically impossible to do otherwise. The show could potentially show the restaurant with plenty of regulars, or at least more steady business, it could even be a pretty popular place, but the rent alone could keep them struggling. But then the comparison to Jimmy's must still imply either his rent is somehow better or his margins are way better, even if it weren't a strictly popularity issue as is so often presented in the plot.

Re: tables outside, not sure if it's true everywhere, but where I live, that's a VERY EXPENSIVE permit and restaurants who could use the extra capacity (lines out the door) still don't bother trying to add it because the cost of doing so would wipe out the profit.

I don't want to knock people who like to go out to the Olive Garden. At least they don't have food under heat lamps. They had a work event but I didn't attend. I usually encourage patronizing the local establishments. But that still speaks to recurring clientele. I can't imagine someone working at the marina is recommending Jimmy's to a tourist. 

2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

The show could potentially show the restaurant with plenty of regulars, or at least more steady business, it could even be a pretty popular place, but the rent alone could keep them struggling.

That's my issue. I think they'd have more steady business. Even if it leaned more local than tourist. You don't see anyone from school eating there, but the kids have been around so they must live reasonably close. I can buy that the rent is prohibitive in terms of upgrades, but I can't that people don't like eating there. Did they stop selling beer too? Does Mr. Fishoeder own both places?

I guess it's a testament to the world building by TPTBs that they creating a real place. 

• Love 1

Ok, so this was not the best finale they have ever had. Nor was it even the strongest episode of the season, but it still had some solid scenes and great lines! ?

All the kids chanting "last place" was my first laugh of the episode. And immediately followed by a visit to the bizarre and hostile couple who own the craft shop was a great start! And their Perm-maid, a mermaid with a perm float was unexpected. 

Linda blaming the family for the pickle costume ensemble, because "Someone should have checked  on me" was solid gold! And I have to agree, she totally needs supervision. 

Louise: "Oh look it's a naked juggler". 

Tina: "So many  balls in the air".

The high point of the entire season was definitely Louise shooting Pesto right in the kisser with the t-shirt. How could he live right across the street from her and not realise that she is about a hair away from complete global domination?! She is like that little kid in the Looper movie. I would be bringing her cookies every damn day to stay on her good side!

Marshmallow is always a welcome sight, and I'm super happy that Bob finally got one over on stupid Jimmy Pesto!

As for the great restaurant debate, I've always assumed that Jimmy inherited his restaurant. So if he inherited the restaurant with an established clientele you don't really even have to be good at business to make a living. And it always amazes me how bland mediocre restaurants seem to do well. So I'm not surprised that Pesto's does a good business. 

• Love 1

Fun season finale.  That song will be stuck in my head for days!

There should definitely be more customers at Bob's Burgers, especially regulars.  Bob once said the town Yellow Pages listed them as a gas station, so that could be why there aren't many tourists.  But no way should Teddy be the only regular customer they have after all this time.  All those nearby businesses, all those employees at the Wharf, and none of them stop by?  That's too much of a stretch, even for this show.  

As for Jimmy Pesto, I think it's well-known that his food is garbage, but his restaurant has ambiance (or fake ambiance) and he knows how to market himself.  Jimmy also has more variety in his menu.  Bob makes great burgers, but that's still limited to people who might want something else to eat.

• Love 1

In rewatching the episode today, I noticed the sign on the storefront where they stop to untangle the dog walker is "Totally Normal Massage Parlor." That's got to be a Fischoeder business. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lefawn said:

In rewatching the episode today, I noticed the sign on the storefront where they stop to untangle the dog walker is "Totally Normal Massage Parlor." That's got to be a Fischoeder business. 

Only if the sign is a lie & the shop is really a "happy ending" massage parlor.  If the sign is legit, maybe Marshmallow owns it.  I can see her having her massage therapist license.

My husband got me the deluxe album set for my birthday two weeks ago.  It's pretty sweet!  I'm actually going to frame one of the posters.  There's a very detailed One-Eyed Snakes patch that i'm probably going to sew onto a canvas bag and several stickers including a Kuchi Kopi one (I just love that diabolical little night light!).  The lyric book is really nice with tons of art included.  There are about 10 songs included in the sheet music (I think - I haven't really looked at that too closely since I can't play an instrument).  Some of the songs are a little longer than they are on the show or you can more clearly hear some of the incidental lyrics.  I thought it was a really high quality set.  

• Love 1

When Bob finds out that the nearby wildness equipment store is having a going out of business sale, he decides to finally realize his dream of becoming an outdoorsman. In true Bob fashion, he encounters a snafu that leaves him stuck in the store overnight to fend for himself. Meanwhile, Linda and the kids spend the night watching the rehearsal for Aunt Gayle's one-woman show.

(edited)

Well, this took me by surprise!

Neighbor: Welcome Back Potter second hand ceramics

Exterminator: Around The Corner Bugs Are Slayed

Burger(s) of The Day: the pear goes the neighborhood burger

Being on both ends of the annoying retail clerk job, I can relate to Bob. I was honestly upset that Bob slept through the sale. Why am I not surprised that Austin would tell Bob he loves him after that ordeal? I hope they do stay friends, now.

And yeah, I wouldn't put it past Gayle to ape Linda's more interesting life for her own one woman show.

"Aren't we ALL Delta Burke?" I did like how it turned out that both Linda & Gayle's stories were wrong all along.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

I thought for sure Austin was played by Paul F. Thompkins. To my surprise, it was Rob Riggle.

Can't stand Gayle, of course her play would begin pre-birth.

I'm afraid of heights (or, falling from one) and when Bob was slinking along that rafter I was so nervous, even in animated form.

• Love 1

I was concerned that Austin would die as the blood rushed into his head.

I was expecting Gayle and Linda's friend to claim it was she who Delta Burke winked and "finger gunned", causing them all to argue.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I was expecting Gayle and Linda's friend to claim it was she who Delta Burke winked and "finger gunned", causing them all to argue.

In that slasher limited series a few years ago (Something Island), one of the characters is killed when he's suspended upside down, so that's all I could think about.

Agree about the Delta Burke story too.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:10 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I guess I was too, but I loved what the old girlfriend told them. That was hilarious.

I always love when people go "Pew pew!" So funny when Gene asks, "Is 'pew pew' like 'aloha'?"

Can someone explain the exterminator name: Around The Corner Bugs Are Slayed?

On 6/13/2017 at 9:10 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Minimum he should've passed out.

I was perplexed why the store would be closed with stuff in it. Usually going out of business sales go till it's empty, no?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks, dcalley. I only needed to read "Milk, milk, lemonade, round the corner fudge is made!" and I remembered.

Art Crawl did a pretty good take on it with Gene saying "Milk, milk, lemonade, round the corner... art is made" thanks to Gail and her paintings.

• Love 2

The kids all begging to go to the store was hilarious. I do like like that even Linda has her limit with Gail. 

Bob in the store was a little too wacky for me. The store doesn't have a land line? 

On 6/17/2017 at 11:30 PM, ganesh said:

Bob in the store was a little too wacky for me. The store doesn't have a land line? 

Or a fire exit? Or a big window he could throw some dumbbells through? That place was a fortress. That's where you want to hole up for the zombie apocalypse.

• Love 2

On a community Facebook group, someone posted the following: 

"We came home and heard noises on the roof. My husband went up and saw a racoon run into our CLOSED chimney (the raccoon took off the cover, went in and put the cover back over the hole. no joke!!!). I called my dad who rushed over with a flash light, they bravely took off the cover and uncovered a family of 5 raccoons living inside my chimney!!! I stuck my head into the fireplace (after banging pots and pans!!) And luckily the chute is closed tightly. "

I was going to suggest pudding but discarded that idea.  But never thought I would hear something like life imitating art like this! 

• Love 5

I missed this one the first time around.  Loved the shrimp costumes (and I also love it when Louise shows a more vulnerable side).

'That's definitely our kids.'  'Why are they dressed like shrimps?'