Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. Don't do it.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Can Arya really be so dense to not remember The Hound was protecting her last she saw him?  Protecting her to his presumed death?

I didn't see Arya's interactions with Hound as hostile. They don't necessarily like each other but they are comfortable with each other. Arya just wanted a booty call. Gendry's bod >>>> Hound's. Not much more to it than that.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

I didn't see Arya's interactions with Hound as hostile. They don't necessarily like each other but they are comfortable with each other. Arya just wanted a booty call. Gendry's bod >>>> Hound's. Not much more to it than that.

She asked him when the last time was that he fought for "anyone besides himself." 

I can't remember a time he ever fought for himself.  Maybe his trial by combat with the BwoB, but his hand was a bit forced there- otherwise his combat experience has mostly been in service of others. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
40 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Her moment with Theon was VERY surprising and I don't know why.  Sansa doesn't often seem to let herself feel emotion these days.  Theon had a hard time keeping his eyes off Sansa when addressing Dany.

And Sansa spending what could be her last night alive with Theon while Winterfell was preparing for battle.   She looked so warm and soft, not something she lets herself show these days.  Not even with other Starks really.  I guess surviving Ramsay creates something truly unique.

I absolutely love when Theon turned to Sansa and said he wanted to fight for Winterfell, if she's let him.

Theon made a huge misstep when he went home and let his father turn him but now he is loyal to Sansa and the Starks. I love that.

• Love 20

One good thing...no last Stark conversation.

We got a lot Brienne/Jaime and Jaime/Tyrion, Ser Jorah/Dany and Jorah with Lady Mormont, Grey Worm/Missandei, Theon/Sansa but NO Jon/Sansa and No Jon/Arya and no Sansa/Arya.  Not that I thought they would die next ep., but I like the confirmation it will not happen.

@Brn2bwild we posted at the same time! I think it's a good sign.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

I'm amazed that so many people prefer lies and deception to the truth.

Pretty broad statement, I think.

I'm okay with Jon telling her, I just didn't think right before they're heading into the literal battle of their lives was the time to do it. He didn't have to lie in that moment, he could've simply not responded to her statement. As far Dany wanting one last roll in the hay before the war begins, he could've deflected. I'm sure she would've had no problem feigning a headache if the situation were reversed.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

One thing that distracted me: I know Emilia Clarke actually has very short brown hair in real life and thus needs to wear the wigs but anyone think Dany's wig was just ... not a "night before the battle that will probably kill us all" hairdo? All the other women of the North have very simply hairstyles. How is Dany having the time to curl her hair in that elaborate shape? It kind of reminds me of how Duchess Kate left the hospital after childbirth wearing heels, a designer dress, and hair extensions in addition to her blowout. An odd optics for such a momentous occasion. 

image.png.6624c1adac3e667efc2a10b24088d10a.png

• LOL 1
24 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Dany's whole thing has been that she's the last Targ and the rightful heir. Not sure why Jon chose that moment to inform her that he's her competition. Let's face it, he's never been smart. Bless his heart.

As someone said in the book thread, the NK's arrival forces Dany to deal with other stuff first and process this news along the way. Jon probably didn't intend it that way (although he probably also expected her to take it a bit better I guess), but it's probably a good thing Dany got interrupted before she could say something that's hard to take back. 

5 minutes ago, Popples said:

I think it's the fur. I remember Pixar talking about how difficult it is to make any type of hair in CGI. But, yeah it's odd that they can make fictional animals look so great, but ones based on real animals don't look right.

It's definitely the fur. I think they have to animate a lot of individual hairs to make it look right, especially when there's movement and that costs a lot of time and money. 

I think it's perfectly logical that fictional animals look better - we just don't have a picture of a real dragon in our head to compare it to. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
Just now, aprilbabe said:

Neither Dany nor JON, have mentioned the incest. And I doubt the will be made of a big deal of. I think the problems viewers are having are putting 2019 moral and what's acceptable on Medival Westeros. I think only the immediate family is considered incest.

I think a lot of people in Westeros care about incest. It might not be a jail-able or capital offense, but it seems like the practice is at least frowned upon. And despite his bloodline Jon was raised a Stark; I don't imagine Ned and Cat raised their children to hand wave incest.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, steelyis said:

I fully expected Dany to deny it was true, but I did not expect her to jump three hundred miles over the incest part of her and Jon's relationship and be all about who gets the crown. What's a little incest compared to the Iron Throne, right?

I actually would have thought it out of character for Dany to be upset about the incest (which isn't to say they won't bring it up).  Targaryens do not think laws of incest apply to them.  She has even said that she grew up expecting to marry her brother (Viserys).  He wasn't a true dragon though  😉

Apparently her first thought was that it was a plot to betray her.  She said that gives Jon a claim to the Iron Throne, but what she didn't say was that Jon had a better claim.  It might be hard for him to prove it though, and he looks more Stark than Targaryen.

All unimportant considering the events at hand though.  Same with Sansa's concerns about the North.  Can't all this stuff wait until after the zombie apocalypse?  I noticed the previews were more vague than usual, not surprising.  Four more episodes to go.  I'm almost not even looking forward to them, because I'm sure there's some heartbreak ahead.  Almost.

• Love 2

I'm totes confused about this North independence business. Weren't they under the rule of the Targs for at least 300 years and then under the rule of Robert Baratheon until Robb was declared King in the North. They haven't really been independent for the last three odd centuries. Were things that bad under the Targ rule? Or under Robert? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 4/22/2019 at 4:08 AM, steelyis said:

I think a lot of people in Westeros care about incest. It might not be a jail-able or capital offense, but it seems like the practice is at least frowned upon. And despite his bloodline Jon was raised a Stark; I don't imagine Ned and Cat raised their children to hand wave incest.

You are wrong.

Spoiler

There is a lot of incest in the Stark family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Sir Brienne! I loved that she got knighted so much. Also, her face when Tormund told the Giantsbane story almost killed me. 

I have to admit I am giggling a bit about everyone being squicked out about Arya having sex. I feel like your first couple of homicides really mature you. I am not generally a shipper but I admit I thought it was a sweet moment. I actually really enjoyed all of their interaction. 

Oh, Lady Mormont, you are a delight. Please don't get murdered next week.

Meanwhile, Greyworm and/or Missandei: totally doomed. Making adorable plans for the future? Come on guys.

I really enjoyed the scene where they were trying to figure out what to do with Jamie. Daenerys listened to Sansa, and they collectively discussed/advised. I also enjoyed the common ground scene between Sansa and Daenerys. Sure, nothing was resolved and there is a remaining issue that really can't be at the moment, but it was nice to see the two come together and I would like to see more of it. 

I enjoyed Tyrion and Jamie. I also enjoyed Sir Jorah's point about making mistakes and learning from them. 

There was this building tension in the episode. You know something terrible is coming. I don't know if I will be ready next week.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, steelyis said:

First cousins isn't considered incest in Westeros. We don't know how they view avuncular marriage as its never been brought up, til now.

• Useful 1

12 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Yay for Arya and Gendry! I thought them hooking up was completely organic to the story and the characters. Gendry was Arya's first crush, and she's not a little girl anymore. She's going out the way I would want to. 😉

Yay for Sansa! I loved how Sansa made it clear that she was repping the independent north no matter who Jon was sleeping with. She will never mentally bend the knee.

I had to laugh out loud at Jorah trying to to tell Lady Mormont to stay in the crypt with the other kids.

I don't even like Jaime, but I loved how Brienne stood up for him and let everybody know that he lost his hand defending her. Even I have to give it up for him.

This battle is going to hurt me so much!

I loved that scene, I liked that they were able to smooth some hard edges but I absolutely loved the fact that Sansa, true to form, asked the hard questions and let Daenerys know that her first and foremost concern was for her people. 

I also liked that part and how it was enough for Sansa that Brienne vouched for him, Sansa is 100% loyal to those that are loyal to House Stark and Winterfell. 

• Love 16

I love this episode, but I do have to take a moment out of my second viewing to say that I laugh out loud every time I see Gendry bashing pieces of obsidian with a hammer. Because... glass is the same thing as iron, apparently.

• LOL 17
  • Love 4

I LOVED everything about this episode, even Sansa!

A few things going forward from here:

I think that Jaime will die in Brienne's arms, and say 'this is the death I always wanted' (dying in the arms of the woman he loved).

I think Bran will die in the next episode.

I think that Gendry and Arya will live. I've been calling them together since s2, so happy to see that Arya got some (she is 18 after all) and on her own terms.  She didn't let Gendry be all 'but your a highborn lady' about it'

I think that IF Tyrion does turn traitor, after this episode, it will be because he thinks it will be the only way to save his own neck. 

Some, thoughts where thrown about in my house, that maybe Dany might choose Sansa to be her new hand.  I thought that scene between between the two of them, was very well done and showed some give and take on both sides.  

All and all....I loved this ep very much, and have no complaints........ so in 803, I'll likely want to rip my own heart out as I drown in my tears.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Honestly, once things get hashed out between Jon and Dany, I don't see it changing much. Dany has always been about that title, and Jon doesn't much care for it. If he hadn't been a Targ, she would have taken him as consort, given him Warden of the North, and demanded his respect as his queen.

Now that she knows, unless she wants to propagate the Targ line (give Jon up so he can have dem babies), she only has to have a conversation with Jon to know that he has no intention of laying claim to the throne. Politically it doesn't make sense, there are basically no people left in Westeros and they've all been fighting for *years.* The smart thing to do is make a marriage and have Jon defer power to Dany, which would have happened anyway.

Assuming they all survive, of course.

• Love 9

When Sansa, teary and emotional, rushed to hug Theon, the look on Dany’s face screamed, “Sansa! Sansa! Sansa! Why does everyone love Sansa?!?!”

I didn't see that at all. I thought Dany looked surprised and trying to figure out what the connection was between these two people. I agree with others who have commented about Theon and Sansa: I think she is more emotional with him because he knows exactly what she went through. He saw her really at her lowest point. And she saw him at his.

I am rewatching and I loved when Brienne defended Jaimie and later when Jaimie asked to fight with her. Jaimie's scene with Bran in wood.

Davos and the little girl was touching too.

• Love 12
On 4/22/2019 at 4:12 AM, SimoneS said:

You are wrong.

Spoiler

There is a lot of incest in Stark family. 

Spoiler

Is it a books thing? No shade, but I don't remember any incest or even a hint of it happening to the TV versions of the Starks. Although, considering GRRM planned to pair Arya and Jon at one point, I realize I might have missed something.

• Love 5

Some other thoughts:

- Yay, Lyanna and Jorah exchanged dialogue!  Lyanna wasn't as pissed at Jorah as I would have thought.

- Tons of time to let Tyrion chew scenery, yet Arya and Dany have yet to exchange dialogue.  Arya and Sana (for this season) too for that matter.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I'm totes confused about this North independence business. Weren't they under the rule of the Targs for at least 300 years and then under the rule of Robert Baratheon until Robb was declared King in the North. They haven't really been independent for the last three odd centuries. Were things that bad under the Targ rule? Or under Robert? 

Yep, and no, we've heard of no Stark/Targ fighting before the Mad King. And the first post-conquest KitN didn't want the job either, Robb just wanted to avenge his father. I also don't remember Sansa having any grander ambitions than going back home and being safe back in s6. The northern independence movement being re-started was Lyanna Mormont's idea.

The best thing about the Bran/Jaime convo was the implication Jaime won't survive this war.

WE HAD OUR FIRST GHOST SIGHTING SINCE EARLY S6, PEOPLE!

• Love 6

I have NO idea where I read this but I read somewhere that a lot of people were getting the wrong idea about huskies (that they're really fierce and protective, when they're actually goofy family dogs) from seeing the Direwolves, so they limited their screen time. Am I just imagining that?

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, steelyis said:

Is it a books thing? No shade, but I don't remember any incest or even a hint of it happening to the TV versions of the Starks. Although, considering GRRM planned to pair Arya and Jon at one point, I realize I might have missed something.

Whaaaaaaaat?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

That has always been the problem with the north. As many have said before the problem with the North is not to conquer it, it is to hold it. They are not an easy bunch to govern. 

The North is very different from the other kingdoms and no king has ever wanted anything to do with them, they do not bother to visit or help, they want the North to be part of the seven kingdoms because it is the biggest territory wise. The issue is that whenever they want to do any deal, any exchange, anything at all, it has to be approved by the king. Aegon the Conqueror made Torrehn Stark bend the knee but then basically left everything in the hand of the northerners, even though the king/queen always has the last word. That is how monarchy works. Maybe not independence but maybe some form of self-government with an alliance to the throne, kind of the deal that Dorne managed when they wouldn't bend the knee to Aegon. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Conan Troutman said:

Huh. I loved it, just the perfect quiet before the storm episode. So many great scenes, felt almost like a stage play. If everybody were to die next week, it would've been a great swan song.

Did you ever see Les Miserables?  The song this episode is One Day More.  Who gets to sing Bring Him Home over John?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7