Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, DavidJSnyder said:

I'm surprised that this is the first ER in the canon and that noone has ever submitted Love's Labor Lost.

I was thinking the same thing. The next day, at work, conversations were:

"Did you see E"
"YES!"
Everyone fights back tears, swallows lump in throat.
"So, OK, the weather is nice today"

Edited by Flamingo
My inexperience with coding and accidental use of "<".

When cloned blood cells are used in transfusions for the first time, the cloned DNA attacks like cancer and forces all the recipients to mutate into Nicholas Lea (Alex Krycek from The X-Files; also probably other roles), who then have to adjust to their new lives. Recipients include a frat brother who now gets mistaken for a predator, a drag queen who becomes less fishy and more fishmonger, a single parent whose kids don't recognise him any more, the world's oldest six-and-a-half year old, and both halves of a bickering but ultimately loving gay couple (because if anyone could get sexual tension out of the expression 'go fuck yourself'...).

14 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Between watching Call the Midwife this morning and hearing today's cannon submission,  it's been all about the ugly cry here.

Yup. I mean I haven't watched Call the Midwife but just the cannon submission had me sobbing. Then I went down a youtube rabbit hole of "ER's 50 most powerful moments" while trying to find Benton running down the stairs and I've been crying forever. I dropped out of ER when Maura Tierney left and now I want to rewatch it all and it's all I can do not to buy all the seasons on Amazon Instant. 

That Game Time was so much fun! I listened to it in my car alone then came home and made my husband listen to it with me again. I couldn't stop giggling! Also I did pretty well! 

They really have to let ER out of streaming jail. I would definitely re-watch the first 8 or so seasons...I dropped out after that. And then see if I wanted to complete it.

• Love 3

The unexpected death I was talking about at work was Gary on thirtysomething -- that's how long ago this was! And I think the other co-worker was definitely sincere... she patted my hand and everything. It was one of my first jobs in an office. Later, once the internet arrived, I found rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc, aka RATSA. I was a fan of All My Children and General Hospital and just stumbled onto the newsgroup. It was *very* structured -- you literally had to be introduced to the group by a sponsor. Everyone was very smart and funny. I am actually still friends with a core group of people from that newsgroup to this day, and have met about half IRL, in places all over the world. (And I know at least one is a fellow listener of EHG.)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Flamingo said:

I was thinking the same thing. The next day, at work, conversations were:

"Did you see E"
"YES!"
Everyone fights back tears, swallows lump in throat.
"So, OK, the weather is nice today"

Me, three

I just saw those Match Games ep recently.  Or at least a couple of them.  The ones I saw they kept panning to the wife in the audience asking how far apart the contractions were.  (They were 5 minutes apart at that point).    When asked if it was their first, he said it was her first.  She seemed might calm about it.

I also recently saw a Family Feud where one of the women on a family team was heavily pregnant and the next ep she wasn't.  She'd had the baby in between.  Richard Dawson did clarify they had a couple week break to film some specials so  she wasn't back just hours after giving birth, but it was still surprising to see.

For Australians (and anyone familiar with the oeuvre of Ms Szubanski), I propose a show featuring all the great characters Magda Szubanski has given us over the years, including Sharon Strzelecki, Lynne Postlethwaite, Chenille, Wee Mary McGregor, Pixie-Anne Wheatley, Esme Hoggett, Margaret O'Halloran (Dogwoman), Roadhouse Betty (Bran Nue Dae), Furlow (Farscape), Thalia (of Thalia and Evelyn, the fashion victims in Big Girl's Blouse), Katharine Hepburn, Ross (husband of Corallee Hollow), Michelle (of Michelle and Ferret) - there are so many, and they're all great! They could all star in a soap opera à la Home and Away, or they could populate a small village that had a high death rate, à la Midsomer Murders.

• Love 1

Mine was Melrose Place, when it started to go completely bonkers. The morning after every episode, my work colleagues and I would exclaim and shout and laugh with glee at the fabulous over-the-topness of it all.

The first occasion I remember a big "OMG! Did you see...." moment was Robin of Sherwood (the mid 80s one #Robin...Robin....The Hooded man# - that one), when Robin was killed by the Sheriff (and he didn't come back either). It was a pretty ballsy move to have somebody really die, particularly in a series that was aired on a Saturday afternoon. Dallas had shot JR (non-fatally) a few years before, but I was a little young to watch that.

Murray from Mad About You, Vincent from LOST, Porthos from Star Trek: Enterprise, and Backup from Veronica Mars. I call it "Dog House" and I would watch it every day.

• Love 5

As more of a cat person, how about:

Spot (Data's cat from ST:TNG), Miss Kitty Fantastico (Willow & Tara's cat from Buffy), Snowball II (The Simpsons' cat) and Salem (from Sabrina: The Teenage Witch).

OK, technically those last two aren't really cats. It could be called "The Cat House"... I'm sure that wouldn't cause any confusion.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2016 at 1:21 PM, profreader said:

The unexpected death I was talking about at work was Gary on thirtysomething -- that's how long ago this was! And I think the other co-worker was definitely sincere... she patted my hand and everything. It was one of my first jobs in an office.

My badminton partner in gym class was wrecked the day after Gary died. So much so that I felt like it was a pretty big bonding moment for us, as well as a seminal moment in my own development as a television watcher, and I never watched thirtysomething.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow... it really has been a long time. WaPo article on Gary's death - 25 years ago!

Quote from the end of the article: 

The morning after Gary died, I came to work and commiserated with the only other “thirtysomething” watcher in the newsroom. We didn’t know quite know how we felt — he wasn’t real after all; he wasn’t even our favorite character. But something was different after that episode — something changed about what I expected from a one-hour drama series.

To this day — dozens and maybe hundreds of TV deaths later — whenever we grieve the loss of a main character on a big show, I think of the night Gary drove his car instead of riding his bike.

Edited by profreader
  • Love 1

Break Away--

Thea from Arrow, Christy from Mom, Kate Harrison (Malin Akerman) from Trophy Mom and Virginia Chance from Raising Hope. They are ladies who could use a break and time from their unique family situations. Plus they potentially have supportive advice for the others. Their Netflix and chill time could be hilarious though.

In college, one of my friends studied abroad for a year, and I wrote her recaps of Beverly Hills, 90210 on paper, which I then sent air mail. Because it was Olden Times. 

• Love 2

I don't know if this is a problem with me or the podcast, but this Mini shows up in my Again With This 90210 feed in the iPhone podcast app instead of the EHG feed. Have other iTunes/iOS Podcast app users experienced this issue?

Firefly. It was already pretty in touch with it's sexy side, but cable would give it more room to work with, and the ability to swear in English.

(edited)

Bunheads

Bunheads actually had a Roller derby story.
Bunheads.jpg

Team: Derby Dolls

• Michelle Simms - Pas Vegas
  • Boo Jordan - Corpse de ballet
  • Sasha Torres - Bravura Basher
  • Ginny Thompson - En Pointe Break
  • Melanie Segal - Tutu the head
  • Fanny Flowers - Grand Maul
  • Truly Stone - True Love Maims
Edited by Kip
adding pix, changed name

MST3K

Team 1: The Satellite of Hate

Bomb Servo
Crow T. Smash-it
Nuke Nelson
Roll Robbing-some
Slambot

Team 2: Deep Hurting 13

Dr. Slay-ton Forrester
Hurl Forrester
Pain Guy
Professor Oh-no-don't-hurt-me
TV's Spank

• Love 1

MST3K

Team 1: The Satellite of Hate

Bomb Servo
Crow T. Smash-it
Nuke Nelson
Roll Robbing-some
Slambot

Team 2: Deep Hurting 13

Dr. Slay-ton Forrester
Hurl Forrester
Pain Guy
Professor Oh-no-don't-hurt-me
TV's Spank

Brilliant! I assume Gypsy would be the referee?

• Love 1

Charlotte "Chuck" Charles (Pushing Daisies), Rory Gilmore (Gilmore Girls), Annie Edison (Community), and Amy Santiago (Brooklyn Nine-Nine). I'm pretty sure they would get each other.

I was going to say Star Trek, but before that there was the Super Friends! I was inconsolable when we moved houses and I couldn't take my Super Friends (and Captain Marvel for some reason) wallpaper with us. This was by 4, so I really wasn't getting how terrible the writing was.

Thank you Tara for knowing Homefront! I thought I was the only person who watched it, ever. I remember ripping a full page ad for the show out of People magazine and hanging it in my dorm room. I have followed Kyle Chandler through everything ever since... 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:21 PM, profreader said:

The unexpected death I was talking about at work was Gary on thirtysomething -- that's how long ago this was! And I think the other co-worker was definitely sincere... she patted my hand and everything. It was one of my first jobs in an office. Later, once the internet arrived, I found rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc, aka RATSA. I was a fan of All My Children and General Hospital and just stumbled onto the newsgroup. It was *very* structured -- you literally had to be introduced to the group by a sponsor. Everyone was very smart and funny. I am actually still friends with a core group of people from that newsgroup to this day, and have met about half IRL, in places all over the world. (And I know at least one is a fellow listener of EHG.)

@profreader Everyone in my dorm watched that episode in the common. Like 60 people all crammed in on all available surfaces. It was AMAZING. I honestly think that's where I got my TV itch from. I know the minute I found MightyBigTV I was so happy.

I was always a big book talker as well, you know that kid that would see you reading a book and be all "OMG I love that book! What part are you in?" When Harry Potter came out I was all HERE are my people. hee.

• Love 2