Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I LOVE The Affair theme. I've searched it out on YouTube and listened to it... On repeat:) I think it sets up the doom in the show well (lyrics seem unrelated to the plot unless they're from the perspective of the dead son). Its a better theme than the show deserves, honestly.

• Love 1
On 8/5/2016 at 11:27 AM, DavidJSnyder said:

Detectives-  Frank Pembleton (Homicide) and Marcellus Washington (Hack)

Captain - Ray Holt (Brooklyn 99)

Medical Examiner -  Dr. Ben Gideon (Gideon's Crossing)

DA -  Bayard Ellis (Law and Order- SVU)

Psychiatrist- Dr. Darryl Nolan (House)

Civilian Consultant- Nick Atwater (Thief)

I see what you did there.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2016 at 2:20 PM, John Potts said:

I would have thought Ned would be better as a coroner - who better than a guy that can talk to the dead to tell you how the victim died?

I see what your saying, but it seems like it would be rude to wake someone up during their autopsy.

The voices from TAATA was John Byner. He was doing an impression of Jackie Mason. I had it half-right.

Star Blazers was the show I ran show from school to catch! I found the idea that the Moon was so corruptible VERY troubling as a kid.

You mentioned the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Hour. I am forever a Bugs Bunny girl. He'd get away with everything! But the older Bugs cartoons were the best! My best friend and I still quote lines to each other from those.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2016 at 7:07 AM, profreader said:

It's a mystery... never has happened before going through that app. Listening directly on the page there was no skip. (PS speaking of loser of the week, Tara's Debra Messing series is one of the most hilarious things on the site -- I have forced friends to read some of the "Debra e-mails her agent" posts right off my phone.)

YES. I adore it whenever the From the Mind of Messing (for want of a better title) posts turn up.

Was "Press Your Luck" successful? Even allowing for the lack of randomness, the format just seems bad. The first half hands out free spins like candy and the second half is watching people press a button (repeatedly). Were people back then just more easily impressed?

44 minutes ago, John Potts said:

Was "Press Your Luck" successful? Even allowing for the lack of randomness, the format just seems bad. The first half hands out free spins like candy and the second half is watching people press a button (repeatedly). Were people back then just more easily impressed?

There were six channels total, three that weren't fuzzy on a good day. And that's the way it was, and we liked it!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, John Potts said:

31 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

There were six channels total, three that weren't fuzzy on a good day. And that's the way it was, and we liked it!

What @Fukui San said. Plus I was a kid at the time, and it was so fucking fun to watch that show with my sister when we were home from school during the summer because it was on around lunch time or so. GenXers: the TV tray generation :D

1 hour ago, John Potts said:

Actually there were two rounds of trivia followed by the press a button part.  And then there was strategy on whether to keep your spins or pass them off to the leader, who had to take how ever many you passed.  For the audience the random part was the suspense, a contestant may have built up quite a stash and then bam! it's all gone.  And if you got 2 whammies you were done completely.  I know all this makes it sound like I was some sort of super fan, but I was not. This is one of my least favorite game shows ever and I barely watched it them and refuse to watch it now  I just had a weirdly good memory for random minutiae like this.

• Love 2

Sorry if this double/triple posts; the button kept getting stuck on "submitting."

Frisky Dingo is on Hulu.

I'm glad Dave mentioned the gender fluidity on Steven Universe, because Monty wasn't doing justice to how subversive that show is. On the one hand, yes, they're gems (their bodies are like the projections from a Green Lantern power ring), they're not having sex as we understand it. On the other hand, there are a lot of romantic moments between what appear to be giant pastel women. But, like Monty said, not until about 40 episodes in.

• Love 1

I just linked to an article on another site about Steven Universe and how awesome it is for queer kids today to have it as a show. It's amazing that it's on TV right now. I'm so glad it's talking about consent & love & all kinds of feminist issues. @Stowaway I have a feeling that when they are recording EHG that sometimes it's hard to get all of what you want to say in because of time or sound quality or just not remembering until after you are supposed to be done. I know I'm like that sometimes in conversation and I don't even have to worry about if the mic picked me up. :) 

• Love 1

I loved Tara correctly guessing George as an answer in game time.

At the risk of forever destroying the idea that I have good taste in TV shows, I will say that season 2 of BoJack Horseman was up there with Fargo and Brooklyn Nine-Nine as one of my favorite shows of 2015 (I understand this is overhyping it).  That said, I found season 3 to just be good, not great.  In my opinion, the premieres tend to be the weakest episodes of every season.  I feel this is a show that is made to be binged.  It's heavily serialized and builds on plots and jokes from previous episodes.  To get into it at all, I think you have to commit to the binge for awhile.  Or not.  It's up to you.

If nothing else, here's a clip of Jessica Biel playing herself. It gets spoilery after the first minute.

• Love 1

My answer was going to be The Jinx, since the climactic moment of the entire show was also a triumph of sound editing. I imagine a room full of people all making sure that it's EXACTLY the right volume, you know?

• Love 3

The show with the fake commentary was MXC (short for "Most Extreme Challenge"). The footage was taken from the 1980s Japanese series Takeshi's Castle.

And the show with the holes in the wall was Hole in the Wall.

I'll show myself out.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

The show with the fake commentary was MXC (short for "Most Extreme Challenge"). The footage was taken from the 1980s Japanese series Takeshi's Castle.

Sorry to sharpshoot you, SnideAsides, but the complete title was The Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Remember the "Painful Elimination  of the Week"?  I have fond memories of watching MXC with my son, who was around 14 at the time. We had an unspoken understanding that neither of us "got" any of the sexual references, which were abundant.

I couldn't think of an actual all-ages hangout, so I went with the Arrowlair from Arrow. It's technically a secret hideout, but people wander in there ALL the time with no justification, so it's effectively a public area. Arrow has already had two or three characters become alcoholics:: Laurel, Quentin, and I can't remember if Thea was an alcoholic or just a drug addict. And it's got a bar as a regular set. But I'm going to ignore all that and decide that Oliver would become a huge drunk and be the kind of guy who's always ordering his pals to drink ridiculous cocktails he invents. "Come on, Diggle! Try the Boxing Glove Cocktail! It'll knock you down but do no permanent damage!"

• Love 1

Tara made my day when she said "rough stuff" the Happy Endings way. I use it all the time and get weird looks.

Yessss. I was just telling my friends that I want to use it all the time but worry that people will assume I'm having a stroke.

I hadn't been watching the Olympics, so my plan was to cheat and have Ryan Lochte reprise his role as "Sex Idiot" from 30 Rock. I don't know what show I'd put him on, but maybe The Bachelor. He wouldn't be the Bachelor; he'd just be standing off to the side for when any of the women wanted to take a break.

But! Now that Ryan Lochte has become much more interesting with the addition of a criminal career, I think I'd put him on an unexpected revival of Reno 911. He seems like his real life is right in line with the cartoonish criminals played by Keegan-Michael Key and Nick Swardson.

The Bronze from Buffy the vampire slayer. Xander is my gut reaction of the quickest to have a drinking problem, before I remembered that Nicholas Brendon has had serious issues for the lack of a better word (Choking his girlfriend!??! wtf). I was thinking Xander because he seems to have the most screwed up home life, and nearly getting killed by vampires seems to never be the worst part of his day. 

Katie Ledecky on Game of Thrones as Brienne's long lost sister. I spent the first week of the Olympics trying to figure out who she looks like and now I can't unsee it.

And I'm not sure Lochte is good enough for Reno 911 or Catfish. Maybe just an episode of Cops? That's still on isn't it?

On 8/17/2016 at 11:13 AM, Joseph Finn said:

Aw, I was sad to see Peter Tomarken and his wife died in a small plane crash in 2006 (they were on their way to pick up a cancer patient to transport them for treatment).

OMG, really? That's so sad. I now feel a little bad for how mad I am that Buzzr seems to only show  Press Your Luck when I'd really rather be watching Password. Or, worse, Card Sharks! That's on all the time now. 

I watch too much Buzzr.

• Love 1

I imagine the world of celrbtiy club DJs to be a weird, insular world full of passive-aggressive feuding, where people don't look, talk, or dress like normal people. I think it's perfect for Wes Anderson. The speakers on either side of the stage will help keep everything symmetrical. And Bill Murray can play the old, wise DJ who shows up to give some enigmatic advice to the young hero.

• Love 1

1. Peter Atencio also recently directed the Jean Claude Van Damme pilot for Amazon, which is a lot of fun and he's exactly the right guy for the detail that weird show needs.

2. Seconding the love for Premier League
On NBC, the one thing in sports they do right, even if I follow Newcastle and they're terrible and relegated to Champions and everything is horrible.

5 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

I can't speak for Sarah, but Dave would have zero interest in watching it, and I find the idea of the 90-minute series premiere really daunting considering the mixed reviews it's gotten. But we did cover it editorially.

Ok, cool. The pilot is easily the roughest of the six but I think it improves with each episode. I was just curious because it's one of the biggest releases of the summer.

2 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

Is it? I feel like it's a lot less buzzy than, for instance, Stranger Things.

It's interesting. Get Down was the more buzzy show but Stranger Things came out first and stole it a thunder in many ways. Get Down has the bigger names and more money behind it. It was big for netflix. But, Strangers Things ended up succeeding more with less backing.