Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)

What also gives "The Time Traveler's Pig" an extra level of sweetness, especially for sibling relationships, is knowing that series creator Alex Hirsch has a twin sister himself who Mabel is actually based on, and the reason he gave Mabel a pet pig in the series was because HIS twin sister Ariel always wanted one when she was a child.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
1 hour ago, DasFlavorPup said:

What also gives "The Time Traveler's Pig" an extra level of sweetness, especially for sibling relationships, is knowing that series creator Alex Hirsch has a twin sister himself who Mabel is actually based on, and the reason he gave Mabel a pet pig in the series was because HIS twin sister Ariel always wanted one when she was a child.

Oh my god. That is fucking adorable.

(edited)

Is it just us, or was that Game Time incredibly hard? Often we had no idea which voice we were even supposed to be focusing on, and if Dave didn't specify the speaker to be identified, I paid attention to the wrong voice wrong every. damn. time.

Edited by Portia

I like to listen to EHG in the car with my husband, so that we can play Game Time together. He is a computer nerd through and through, and I just wanted to let Dave know that somewhere out there, someone always laughs very hard at your Chmod 700-type jokes.

I didn't see every episode of this, and I could be remembering incorrectly, but: my overall impression is that the show was sort of sneaky in that the (gross) hook of it was exactly as Sarah described--look at these ridiculous, crazy women! We need to tame them!--but over time, the actual work of the show was to instill back in them their self-worth. Starting, as Joe said, by using their real names. By the end, you did feel like you got to know them better and much of their rage or acting out was sourced to insecurity or something more serious, so it wasn't just a joke anymore. The challenges and metrics for their growth were still pretty, uh, Anglocentric, let's say, but that was kind of the top level of the show, I guess. I do agree that it's better that this type of thing peaked and (mostly) died off, though it feels like it was replaced by non-comp reality shows like Honey Boo Boo where the goal was just to point and laugh, not to try to change the subjects.

I watched this entire series when it aired. Team Joe! Lip chap 4eva!

The best part of the series is Monique. She basically knew that the show was supposed to be "look at this HAHAHAHAHA" and was NOT having it. She was pulling the train back on the track and no matter how suspicious the editing, how wacky the music, or how demeaning the challenges (I mean, Andrew Firestone was on this show), Monique was there to Mother Hen the contestants, and they loved her as much as she loved them.

(edited)

Mo'Nique each time called Saaphyri something different: safari, sapphire-y, safeary. 

Also I didn't care for her lesson comparing adversity to anal rape. "Sometimes life takes you by your ass and it doesn't use protection or lubricate it and it HURTS" ???!? ?

I felt Mo'Nique was a bit fake and checked out. No Tim Gunn or even Mary Alice from America's Most Smartest Model. 

Leilene / Smiley deserved to win. Not Saaphyri who went to prison after. The contestant you clipped and commented on her saying something stereotypical or canned was Like Dat/Darra who actually was a graduate of law school in RL and articulate.  She was play acting in a way for the show that had racist implications. 

Lol I know a lot about these VH1 shows but honestly my fave reality show ever was I Love NY seasons one AND two which was also on vhi and superior to every reality show or dating program ever. It was hilarious and had a lot of drama, suspense, villainy, whimsy. 

Edited by Petunia13

So, I know next to nothing about Star Trek (which is why I'm constantly worried the nerd authorities are going to come take my membership card away) but I'm super excited to see the TV fantasy draft because my favorite podcast is supporting my favorite philanthropy. DonorsChoose.org is such a great way to support teachers and help their students learn and experience new things! There aren't many times you'll hear a teacher more excited than when her Donors Choose project gets funded. Thanks guys!

• Love 3
(edited)

After being raised on Various Treks, I always called the Kardashians Cardassians when they were just becoming a thing. It delighted me to no end to hear the alien species referred to as Kardashians at least three times during the canon.

Very enjoyable episode, really great canon submission that made me want to give DS9 a rewatch now that I'm older and better understand the war aspects that kind of scared me when I was younger.

Eta: Joe, I'll miss you. Please come back for visits as often as possible. 

Edited by Delwyn

Thanks! Works now.

Always fun when Dave f's up.

How about:

• Gillian Anderson as ship's captain
  • Lee Pace as the touchy feeley ship's counselor
  • Kristin Chenowith as the surprisingly terrifying security officer
  • Stealing Mads Mikkelson as Q.
  • William Sadler as the inevitably corrupt admiral
  • Hey, Mandy Patinkin was on Dead Like Me!  OK, Inigo Montoya for engineer.
  • Caroline Dhavernas as the chief medical officer
  • Chi McBride runs the bar.

Also, before looking things up for this I had no idea that Bryan Fuller was the one adapting American Gods to TV.  I'm now very excited for that.

7 hours ago, Delwyn said:

It delighted me to no end to hear the alien species referred to as Kardashians at least three times during the canon.

Me too! Although I expected better from Dave.

I don't think we saw Barb from Stranger Things have any of the enthusiasm and earnestness that Squirrel Girl is all about, did we? I agree that she looks right, but according to IMDB she hasn't been in anything else , so....

(Also, I don't know how that comic would work without constantly bringing in big names and then cutting to them lying beat up, but maybe it would.)

So sad to see Joe go right when I was getting into this podcast! I had already split up the hosts in my head like this:

(All four are so smart and funny!)

DavidT: The nitpicky one (eg: It wasn't as good as E.T., thumbs down!)

Tara: The lowbrow one. (The one who isn't ashamed to like trash TV, doesn't care about old movies, etc.)

SarahD: The macho one (Doesn't like family sitcoms, likes sports, likes The History Channel)

Joe: The highbrow(ish) one (Sounds most like a New Yorker critic, likes family feelgood dramas)

• Love 1

Yeah but I call her Kim Cardassian West so it all works out.

2 hours ago, Onfire444 said:

DavidT: The nitpicky one (eg: It wasn't as good as E.T., thumbs down!)

That's pretty far off the mark on what I said. ¯\(°_o)/¯ (But I do think I'm the pickiest)

As an unashamed Trekkie, I had mixed feelings over this episode - aside from spending half the time going "You're picking Archer over Sisko!?" and the like, I had a personal disappointment when I saw the Canon Submission. Although I agree that Duet is a fantastic episode, I'm the one that submitted DS9's In the Pale Moonlight for the Canon, so I when I saw it was a DS9 submission I thought "Great! They're doing mine!" only to be disappointed AND I was also building a very similar Game Time (though since I have a couple of others stacked up, it's not a great loss - and I'm sure nobody but me cares about that anyway!).

(edited)
On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:41 PM, Fukui San said:

Lee Pace as the touchy feeley ship's counselor

But being Touchy Feely was exactly what Ned The Pieman couldn't be! Maybe he could replace Neelix as Voyager's chef - I bet he'd never infect the engines with poisonous cheese!

Though I love Mads as Q and William Sadler as Admiral Evil.

Edited by John Potts