Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Meet the Parents

• Start Topic

As someone who's been through the prolonged agony of imagining all the worst scenarios when struggling with coming out to their parents, I give MAJOR kudos to Noah Reid for nailing the gamut of emotions, both visible and internal. He was definitely the MVP in an episode filled with spot-on performances by everyone involved. The writing was also especially sharp, conveying all of Patrick's emotions, anxieties and hopes, David's determination to support him and make everything OK, Patrick's parents being confused as to why he didn't tell them earlier - and his mom's subsequent over-eagerness to demonstrate her support - SO well thought out and holistically portrayed by the performers. This is my new favorite episode in a series filled with favorite episodes. Thank you to the writers and performers for creating such a realistic and heartwarming "best case scenario" storyline and outcome.

Oh, and it took me a while to recognize her, but I loved seeing Linda Thorson (Mrs. Peel's replacement Tara King from 60s TV's The Avengers) as Moira's soap opera contemporary - I don't think I've seen her in anything since her short stints on St. Elsewhere, Moonlighting and Dynasty in the 80s.

• Like 1
  • Love 20

I too loved everything about the episode [except Roland, but that's a given] but the moment I loved the most:

Alexis: I am Alexis Rose, Moira's publicist and daughter.

Gloria: Daughter? More like sister.

Moira: [high pitched laugh]

Alexis: [fake smile] Ew.

• LOL 14
  • Love 8
(edited)

Every time I think that the show can't get any sweeter or more emotional, it does. David has come such a long way. Yes, he can still be self-centered but in this situation, he was all about making sure that Patrick and his parents were okay (despite the fact that he was shocked and a little hurt when he found out that Patrick's parents didn't know they were dating). The most important thing to him was being there for Patrick and helping him maintain a good relationship with his parents, even if that meant offering to pretend to be just his business partner at the party.

I loved that David and his parents did everything they could to make Patrick feel comfortable enough to tell them without forcing him to do it. It was clear that they all love him so much and wanted to support him but let him do it on his own terms.

Ha, and OF COURSE Moira (1) expected Alexis and Johnny to do medical experiments to finance Cabaret (2) took Alexis to the Playboy mansion as a child (3) did an adult diaper commercial in kabuki makeup in Japan.

I also loved that Patrick's dad said that he doesn't get David's clothes. Tonight's sweater was nothing compared to some of his other ensembles!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I too loved everything about the episode [except Roland, but that's a given] but the moment I loved the most:

I have to say I think this is the least annoying Roland has ever been. As much as he was on at first with Patrick's parents, when it became clear that Johnny might have accidently outed Patrick, Roland behaved appropriately and didn't make the situation any worse. For Roland, that's a huge step forward.

The whole episode was sweet but also stressful. I was stressed from the moment it became clear that Patrick's parents didn't know about David up until Patrick sat down with his parents and told them about David. I'm so attached to all of these people and I just want them to be happy. David's support of Patrick made me cry. When he offered to just be a business partner that was the most selfless thing we've ever seen him do.

• Love 17

My favorite moment was the little "ew" that escaped from Alexis when the Soap Actress told her she and Moira could be sisters. It was understated and delivered perfectly. It actually, for me, hearkened back to an episode from an earlier season. In a scene Johnny was hugging Alexis and David, and Moira entered and asked him what he was doing. Johnny said, "I'm hugging our children"  and Moira said, "Why?" It was perfect and Alexis' delivery reminded me of that. I love mother and daughter together.

The only thing missing from this episode was Jocelyn. I want them to replace all Roland scenes with Jocelyn scenes.

Other than that it was really a perfect episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I want Alexis's outfit! #shallow

7 hours ago, zibnchy said:

I want them to replace all Roland scenes with Jocelyn scenes. 

Please! And soon. Like kill him off before the next season! Ugh.

Moira at the convention was hysterical! Especially when getting advice from her friend.

32 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

That was one of the most beautiful episodes of tv I have ever seen.  

The whole coming out was handled very sweetly and sensitively, but with humor.

• Love 2

Best thing on tv right now.

I won't get into the David/Patrick stuff. Everything has been covered above.  You guys have really expressed how I felt about that part of the episode.  And the information at the end for information on how to come out? OMG! More tears.

I wanted to touch on the Moira stuff.  If Alexis had done some homework, she would find out that most actors do make a really good living from the convention circuit.  I've read articles that a lot of them come home with "garbage bags" full of cash and actually make more doing these things than being in the movies or television. 

Roland still grates on my nerves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I would echo everything everyone said above.

The most awkward thing for me is that I watched this episode with one of my best friends--who is gay and has sworn not to come out to his mother. As morbid as it sounds, I think he's waiting for her to pass away, then he's going to come out to the rest of his family (brother, cousins, etc.).

His mother, bless her heart, is an immigrant from Eastern Europe and very religious, so I doubt she'd be as kind about it as Patrick's parents were. Bottom line, it's his decision to make and I completely support it. The one time that my mother, who knows about him, met his mother is the only time I have ever threatened my mother's very existence on this planet if she breathed one word about it. My mother (to her credit) was genuinely offended that I would think she would do such a thing. "I would never do that in a million years."

And thank you giovannif7 for identifying Linda Thorson for me. I knew I'd seen her somewhere! I must tell my mom that I saw her in something. She'll be thrilled.

And total ditto on less Roland/more Jocelyn.

• Love 3

Another lovely little moment was when Patrick went off with his parents and David went over to Stevie and they both exhaled in relief.  That was so sweet.

• Love 5

This was such a good episode it made me cry a little. Patrick's parents were awesome, they were only upset because they thought Patrick wasn't talking to them about something important.  Noah Reid was so good in this.

• Love 3

I just love this show and it is one of the few shows that I really look forward to each week (there are many shows I watch, but I don't anticipate them like I do this one).

All of the character growth and acceptance of each other is just wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 3/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, vibeology said:

I have to say I think this is the least annoying Roland has ever been. As much as he was on at first with Patrick's parents, when it became clear that Johnny might have accidently outed Patrick, Roland behaved appropriately and didn't make the situation any worse. For Roland, that's a huge step forward.

The whole episode was sweet but also stressful. I was stressed from the moment it became clear that Patrick's parents didn't know about David up until Patrick sat down with his parents and told them about David. I'm so attached to all of these people and I just want them to be happy. David's support of Patrick made me cry. When he offered to just be a business partner that was the most selfless thing we've ever seen him do.

Regarding Roland, I love your "glass half-full" reasoning. I hadn't thought of that at all, but I completely agree with you!

These types of episodes are my favorite: smart, endearing, and funny. This is easily the best episode of the season so far for all the reasons everyone has pointed out above.

My husband, who doesn't watch this show, was in the room at the time I was watching it, and became so engaged in the story that he stopped what he was doing and started watching. It takes alot for him to get engaged in a show at the spur of the moment which is a testimony, to me at least, to how well-written this episode was.

• Love 5

Agreed with everyone above, this episode was a gift. Kudos to the casting director for finding two actors who looked like they could actually be Noah Reid's parents.

I kinda sorta wished they'd saved the Moira Goes to a Soap Opera Con to be the A-plot of another episode. She had a long line of fans who wanted to meet her, and I wanted to hear what every one of them had to say and what Moira would have said in return (like the town-hall episodes of Parks and Rec where the citizens of Pawnee complain hilariously one after the other).

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 3/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, greekmom said:

I wanted to touch on the Moira stuff.  If Alexis had done some homework, she would find out that most actors do make a really good living from the convention circuit.  I've read articles that a lot of them come home with "garbage bags" full of cash and actually make more doing these things than being in the movies or television. 

It actually speaks to just how successful Johnny must have been because lots of people do not hesitate to do conventions now. I can see Moira having that opinion based on the way the entertainment business was in the 70s and 80s. Cons are big business and good money now. Lots of huge stars do them. But we've generally seen Moira be disdainful of the business side of entertainment. I always think about what Lisa Rinna revealed on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills; she said the single best paying job she'd ever had was a Depends commercial that aired in the US. It paid a million dollars. She was on Days of Our Lives, Melrose Place, and co-hosted Soap Talk and her best paying gig was for adult diapers. That's sort of my point with Moira. Clearly Rose Video made enough money that Moira never had to take those gigs and clearly didn't notice that her peers had.

• Love 3

Wow, wow, wow. This show just makes my heart feel good. Every moment of the storyline with Patrick's parents was just perfect. I've heard Dan Levy say that they deliberately do not have any characters react negatively to David (or David and Patrick) because bigotry does not deserve a platform, even if it's there to get knocked down. I was a little worried about the parents and was so relieved that that wasn't the case. From Johnny's run to try to fix this, to David coaxing the truth out of Patrick, to David offering love and support and comfort to Patrick, to David trying to make things right with the parents, to arranging things so Patrick still got to come out on his own, to Patrick telling David that he knew they knew and David coming totally clean, it was absolutely perfect. Everyone acting like real, lovely people. I think I need to go watch this episode again right now, even though I am dying to finish my binge.

• Love 15

I loved this episode, but I'll admit to having a (fairly small) issue with it. We were expected to believe that David and Patrick had never actually discussed whether Patrick was out to his parents - and that's just not plausible to me.

David knew fully well that Patrick had never dated a man before. The issue of when/if Patrick was going to come out to his family would be a big deal for both of them.

I can't even fathom thinking, "Well, my boyfriend must have come out to his parents at some point since we started dating. I hope it went well!" That's the kind of thing you talk about...even if you're as self-absorbed as David.

In the beginning of the episode, when we realized that Patrick's parents didn't know about the relationship, I assumed that Patrick had lied to David about coming out to them. That would have made a lot more sense.

(I also find it hard to believe that Patrick would have let David talk to his parents repeatedly before he came out.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't think Patrick is the sort to deliberately lie.  But I think he's very good at keeping things locked down when he doesn't want to think about it or address it.  David may have assumed that Patrick had come out to his parents at some time before they got together, or during that very brief time when they were broken up.  

It didn't seem like Patrick meant for anything to be a secret, which is why he never stopped David from talking to them, he just wasn't ready to have that conversation yet.

• Love 1

It also sounds like the distinction between "business partners" and "romantic partners" could have muddied things, since only one of those was disclosed to the parents, but the concepts can sound so similar in conversation. For example, if Patrick was saying things like "My parents are so glad things are working out for us," or "My parents are so happy we met, they love you" then it would be reasonable for David to interpret this as meaning romantically, and Patrick to mean it as professional (and lean in to romantic undertones when relaying their comments out of fear of having to tell David that his parents only know about their business relationship and friendship).

You'd be amazed. I have had conversations with people about a "friend" or "partner" of mine, trying as hard as I could to tell them without directly saying it that we were together in a gay, romantic way, and people DO NOT hear it if they don't want to or don't expect to. David could have told Patrick's parents basically anything on the phone, and they would likely rationalize it as being friendly, or David (who they likely know or suspect is gay) just teasing or flirting without it even entering their minds that it might be a two-sided relationship.

I have to say, I think this episode is the greatest coming-out story I have seen on TV. I really admire the approach of the writers to eliminate homophobia from the storytelling. It may not be the most technically accurate coming-out story by averages, but the lack of homophobic blowback makes space for a more meaningful message about autonomy, dignity, and the kind of support people need and deserve when speaking their truth. It's an inspiring picture of how things can go, and should go, if we don't make room for bigotry in the real world. I absolutely adore it.

• Love 21

I have been binge watching this show from season one for the last one or two weeks. And after each episode I read all of your comments but I never comment because I have to blaze on to the next episode! But I did have to pause to comment how much I loved this one. I pretty much cried through the entire thing. Dan Levy’s expressions are so great!

Also, thank you @ElectricBoogaloo for all of the clips! Again, I was on such a tear through the first two seasons, I didn’t watch any of them. But then I sat down one day and went back and clicked and watched all of the ones you had provided, and now it’s part of my regular reading and watching rotation.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/3/2019 at 1:17 AM, Slovenly Muse said:

It also sounds like the distinction between "business partners" and "romantic partners" could have muddied things, since only one of those was disclosed to the parents, but the concepts can sound so similar in conversation. For example, if Patrick was saying things like "My parents are so glad things are working out for us," or "My parents are so happy we met, they love you" then it would be reasonable for David to interpret this as meaning romantically, and Patrick to mean it as professional (and lean in to romantic undertones when relaying their comments out of fear of having to tell David that his parents only know about their business relationship and friendship).

You'd be amazed. I have had conversations with people about a "friend" or "partner" of mine, trying as hard as I could to tell them without directly saying it that we were together in a gay, romantic way, and people DO NOT hear it if they don't want to or don't expect to. David could have told Patrick's parents basically anything on the phone, and they would likely rationalize it as being friendly, or David (who they likely know or suspect is gay) just teasing or flirting without it even entering their minds that it might be a two-sided relationship.

I have to say, I think this episode is the greatest coming-out story I have seen on TV. I really admire the approach of the writers to eliminate homophobia from the storytelling. It may not be the most technically accurate coming-out story by averages, but the lack of homophobic blowback makes space for a more meaningful message about autonomy, dignity, and the kind of support people need and deserve when speaking their truth. It's an inspiring picture of how things can go, and should go, if we don't make room for bigotry in the real world. I absolutely adore it.

It isn't a coming out story that doesn't exist, so while it is aspirational, it isn't necessarily unrealistic and that gives me hope. My heart was in my throat the entire time and it was just so damn good to see a positive story. I totally agree it was inspirational. I think it helps to give a model for parents who may be on the other end, and it certainly gives hope to those struggling with this. I was crying like a baby. 

I am so behind on this show that I haven't commented, but I had to comment on this one. To watch David and Patrick's parents scramble to make sure he felt safe and supported? And that scene where David just supported the hell out of Patrick? Oh my heart. No manufactured drama. Just love and understanding. 

It really was great.

• Love 6

I'm the last one in the world to watch this because I'm a terrible binger....But, this episode should be totally watched for the actor who plays Patrick's father and manages to channel all the facial expressions that Noah Reid uses.  It's really easy to play a David, but to replicate the subtle expressions that we're used to from Patrick is genius.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3