Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Jeanne's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Hellga said:

Thou canst harness the unholy power of grapes and use it for good!  

Though grapes are so last week, this week the Snack of Doom was oranges.

Yes Hellga thou canst. Verily I say thou shalt stomp them and mash them well and place their Sacred juices in the most Holy of barrels. Then thou shalt age-ith and ferment those juices until the appointed time. At that time our brethren and sistren(?) will pour forth this Sacred elixir into our Blessed vessels and we shall drinketh and swilleth to our hearts content. Amen.😇

Edited by DC Gal in VA
  • LOL 11
3 hours ago, Hellga said:

Thou canst harness the unholy power of grapes and use it for good!  

Though grapes are so last week, this week the Snack of Doom was oranges.

I have oranges.  I am not behind the times.   And apples, grapes, and bananas.

I did not see Jeanne eat any of those.  I keep wondering how Jeanne  can just eat all day.  If I eat too much I feel like I will burst.  I think Dr. Now gave a hint of it in one of the episodes where he was looking at the stomach he removed and remarking how large it could expand (I know he said that with Aaron, but this was another person's stomach) and he mentioned how it was so large it would never feel full. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I have oranges.  I am not behind the times.   And apples, grapes, and bananas.

I did not see Jeanne eat any of those.  I keep wondering how Jeanne  can just eat all day.  If I eat too much I feel like I will burst.  I think Dr. Now gave a hint of it in one of the episodes where he was looking at the stomach he removed and remarking how large it could expand (I know he said that with Aaron, but this was another person's stomach) and he mentioned how it was so large it would never feel full. 

Was that Diana, one of this series' amazing success stories? I remember him saying after performing her WLS that her stomach was four times the size of the average person's stomach. She remarked that, although she ate a lot of food, she never felt full. I guess that would be like a regular person getting one quarter of a plate of food when they're really hungry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just watched the supersized Jeanne.    I cracked up when Dr. Now said "Hi, Jeanne" because all I can think of is her hygiene ---or, rather, her lack thereof.   I amuse easily.

In the bonus Barbara refers to Dr Now as sweetheart twice;  at least I think I heard that right.  The closed captioning for this program is horrid. 

I think there was little bonus material, because they needed to keep most of the original material so it would be obvious how obnoxious and resistant Jeanne is.  

I am not psychic, but I predict more infections in her future. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 10:00 PM, Twopper said:

I just watched the supersized Jeanne.    I cracked up when Dr. Now said "Hi, Jeanne" because all I can think of is her hygiene ---or, rather, her lack thereof.   I amuse easily.

In the bonus Barbara refers to Dr Now as sweetheart twice;  at least I think I heard that right.  The closed captioning for this program is horrid. 

I think there was little bonus material, because they needed to keep most of the original material so it would be obvious how obnoxious and resistant Jeanne is.  

I am not psychic, but I predict more infections in her future. 

I think that your prediction is spot on. So sad that the answer to her difficulty showering is a pretty easy fix: a shower bench, an extendable hand-held shower head and a couple of very strong safety bars. She would only have to stand in place briefly to wash and rinse her nether regions. Her fear of falling is real and understandable since she said that she fell and it took hours to get her up although Jeanne lies so much hours could mean five minutes. Doing those things would spare her "mudder" the physical stress of having to bathe someone the size of a baby elephant and lower her own risk of re-infection. Of course that would entail her thinking about what's best for her mom and she is way too inconsiderate for that.

BTW, my sincere apologies to all the baby elephants out there which are at least cute and adorable.😊

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Her fear of falling is real and understandable since she said that she fell and it took hours to get her up although Jeanne lies so much hours could mean five minutes.

If you call 911, EMTs will arrive fairly quickly and they will help you to get up and make sure you are not seriously injured.  It's part of what they do.  In our jurisdiction, there's no charge unless they transport you to a hospital.

• Love 2

Watching this mess again. Thoughts:

1. Why is she angry about going to see Dr Now? Because she has to leave the house? Because she's as big as a house and did it to herself?  Most obesees say they are afraid Dr Now won't take them as a patient, or that the trip will be hard, but not that they are angry about making the trip (and she's only going 4 hours away). 

2. Did others notice that there is no lamp shade on the living room lamp?

3. She won't even open the front door for herself. Jeez.

4. What is wrong with her that she keeps fidgeting in the chair, etc.? It looks strange.

5. Do the cameras always focus on people's mouths as they eat (so disgusting) or are the producers just in love with Jeanne? : )

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, aliya said:

1. Why is she angry about going to see Dr Now? Because she has to leave the house? Because she's as big as a house and did it to herself?  Most obesees say they are afraid Dr Now won't take them as a patient, or that the trip will be hard, but not that they are angry about making the trip (and she's only going 4 hours away). 

2. Did others notice that there is no lamp shade on the living room lamp?

3. She won't even open the front door for herself. Jeez.

4. What is wrong with her that she keeps fidgeting in the chair, etc.? It looks strange.

5. Do the cameras always focus on people's mouths as they eat (so disgusting) or are the producers just in love with Jeanne? : )

4.  I asked that earlier. It is seen many different times in this episode.  I have never believed, once the patients became more extreme, that there wasn't another addiction involved.  Lupe was as big a drinker as Gilbert.  All the wailing about pain from many patients, when, just maybe, the pain killers are gone. I think this is a hidden issue in the weight loss journey.

We have seen a Hoarders type crossover, but an Intervention crossover for many of these codependent families would be far more interesting and effective.  Just as long as Dr. Now can palpitate the elongated stomach and scold people about their eating habit.😉

• Love 7

There was no interesting bonus material in the supersized episode. She was angry cause she had to leave her chair. That sore on her leg would have made me want to get better fast. I believe she was in constant pain, but food is going to fix that? Her mother had these complications from her ruptured colon surgery and never got follow up care, she was really lucky Dr. Now was so compassionate to operate on her and clean it all up. She did say she was the only one who could drive, when they got back home, there was no food in the house. I guess jeanne is going to get on her mother's case and make her run out to the store and then start cooking. That is just sad, the mother is in horrible shape. But Jeanne is going to get another infection and die. I doubt in 3 years from now she will be alive. 

• Love 5
On 3/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, Hellga said:

She is such a child thinking that if she apologizes and promises to do better next time all will be forgiven and well.   The woman is almost 40 but her mental age is somewhere in the  early teens. 

Her talking about "shoving my progress" in Dr. Now's face reminded me of how some kids would say that if I went and died they would all be sorry they were mean to me.  Yuck.

Right? Honey. You're the one who supposedly wants this. Dr. Now is not invested in your weight loss. He is a doctor, you are a patient, he wants your success because he wants your health and quality of life to improve. Its not some mean game he's playing. She is such an ignorant, ungrateful, lazy POS. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:13 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Why didn't someone from the community come tidy the house, donate a new bed, bring some food? It's what you do after a loss. 

She said she used to leave the house to go to church. Aren't there any people from her former church community who check on her? Seems odd. 

14 hours ago, aliya said:

I couldn't figure that out either--what was she so mad about? She had herself worked up to a fine lather before she even left the driveway. 

• Love 7
On 3/23/2019 at 9:49 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

Doing those things would spare her "mudder" the physical stress of having to bathe someone the size of a baby elephant

Even a baby elephant is only 350lbs at birth. :)

• LOL 6
On 3/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, Natalie68 said:

I do NOT say this to be mean at all.  My mind went to just get the hose and step outside and rinse off.  Her life literally depends on it.  After the mom was out of the hospital Jeanne seemed able to walk across the home to her mom's room.  Perhaps she can do more for herself when push comes to shove.  

On 3/18/2019 at 7:20 PM, Mothra said:

I don't think that's mean.  It looks like their house is fairly isolated; maybe she could put up clotheslines with sheets over them for privacy.  And you're right--another fecal infection could be fatal, especially if she has dropped out of Dr. Now's program, because she was obviously not getting good medical care before she went to Texas.

I kept thinking about this. I read, quite a while ago, a short list of suggestions of what to do when feeling down (not a substitute for prescriptions). One of them was something like, if you haven't bathed in the last 24 hours, bathe now. I think that's essential. I almost always feel good after a shower, even if I weren't feeling "bad" beforehand.

We have seen those portable "potty chairs" in at least a couple episodes. I wonder if there is some portable outdoor shower (with privacy curtains or stall walls) that those medical equipment companies could devise. I don't know how it would connect to hot water. Typical household showers/tubs are not sufficient for someone of the size of the poundticipants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, aliya said:

Someone else suggested that nicotine withdrawal might cause that kind of problem.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, Hellga said:

I am also finding it hard to believe her stories about her Grandmother anymore.  Given how angry and delusional she is shown on the show, and how she was lying about her eating - I would say it is 60 to 40 she was lying about Grandma's treatment of her as well.  After all, she said Grandma beat her - certainly her mother would have noticed the welts/bruises!?

It was Barbara's mom? It seemed telling to me that Barbara didn't seem all that surprised, so maybe she had seen that side of her mother when she was a child. But she didn't tell us that, so I didn't know what to think.

Someone in my family years later revealed sexual abuse that had occurred when she was young. Several things suddenly made sense, but no one recognized any of those things as clues at the time. Barbara was working 2 jobs and maybe didn't know or maybe told herself that what she was seeing couldn't possibly mean abuse. I almost don't want the back stories on the poundticipants because they just raise more questions rather than providing a frame of reference. ("I weighed 350 pounds at age 12, but then things REALLY got out of control when X happened.")

• Love 2
1 hour ago, IKnit4Cats said:

It was Barbara's mom? It seemed telling to me that Barbara didn't seem all that surprised, so maybe she had seen that side of her mother when she was a child. But she didn't tell us that, so I didn't know what to think.

Someone in my family years later revealed sexual abuse that had occurred when she was young. Several things suddenly made sense, but no one recognized any of those things as clues at the time. Barbara was working 2 jobs and maybe didn't know or maybe told herself that what she was seeing couldn't possibly mean abuse. I almost don't want the back stories on the poundticipants because they just raise more questions rather than providing a frame of reference. ("I weighed 350 pounds at age 12, but then things REALLY got out of control when X happened.")

May I first say that your user name made me giggle.  About the abuse, it usually is hidden. I found out about it as an adult. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, IKnit4Cats said:

We have seen those portable "potty chairs" in at least a couple episodes. I wonder if there is some portable outdoor shower (with privacy curtains or stall walls) that those medical equipment companies could devise. I don't know how it would connect to hot water. Typical household showers/tubs are not sufficient for someone of the size of the poundticipants.

You can buy outdoor showers that hook up to a garden hose  from a lot of places including Amazon.  Also you can buy screens or pop-up tents to put up around them.   There are fancier ones that hook up to the indoor plumbing so you can get both hot and cold water.  An out door shower would not work for her in the winter months. 

Our house is 100 years old.  I guess she could fit in our bathtubs, but I am sure she would not fit in our showers. 

What do you knit for cats?  I have a Himalayan that sheds enough fur each week to make four new cats.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, IKnit4Cats said:

Walk-in showers are pretty big, and if your bathroom is tiled or vinyled, it won't matter if there is some splash on the floor.  With a hand-held shower head, I think the fast majority of the folks we see here could use a walk-in shower with or without assistance in washing.  I think the big problem with tubs (besides having to step over and into them, which imo is too dangerous for most of them to be doing) is that the wall of the tub limits the space available for sitting while washing, or turning around, or bending over.  But refitting a bathroom with a walk-in shower big enough to accommodate a 600-pounder is an expensive proposition, and given that a good many of the poundticipants live in trailers where there may not even be enough room to install a big walk-in shower, it's probably not a feasible option in most cases.

I think your idea of somehow rigging an outdoor shower--where space would not be a problem--is a good one, but it's again one that would require an outlay of money that may be beyond the poundticipant's resources.  If someone could devise a good plan, with hot and cold water, that would be safe and comfortable, and post the plans on the internet, what a wonderful community project it would be for neighbors, churches and friends to create for the very fat person!

10 minutes ago, Twopper said:

What do you knit for cats?  I have a Himalayan that sheds enough fur each week to make four new cats.

I want to know this too.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I think your idea of somehow rigging an outdoor shower--where space would not be a problem--is a good one, but it's again one that would require an outlay of money that may be beyond the poundticipant's resources. 

But if they took half their food budget and put it towards a new shower, they'd accomplish two goals - they'd have a new shower, and they'd lose weight.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Jeanne says that her grandmother punished her by making her smoke.  Earlier (maybe in live thread?) someone pointed out that smokers are usually not that generous with sharing (pricey) smokes.  

But, there’s one situation where forcing someone to smoke is fairly common: when kids get caught smoking.  It’s meant to make the activity unpleasant.  

I suggest that “Grandma Soda” ONCE made Jeanne smoke as punishment.  It has since been blown up into epic proportions and, in fact, the very “reason” why Jeanne is an addict.  

Jeanne has shown herself to be an unreliable narrator: one cheat meal = 29 extra pounds, oranges, etc.  

And, frankly, far more functional people have also exaggerated to their own benefit.  I had a boss that “used to put on conferences with (big time attorney)”, when, in reality, they did a small presentation once and it’s probably nowhere in that attorney’s memory.  A professor I used to work with says that “twins run in her family” and uses this in a lecture about genetics every year, talking about her twin niece and nephew, only her “sister” is not related, not even adopted!  Just a friend who lived with them while in high school.  

I know I’m driving the idle speculation bus here, but Jeanne seems to overstate and blame shift.  I can totally see her taking a one-time real event and exaggerating it to her own benefit.  

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, CousinOliver said:

But, there’s one situation where forcing someone to smoke is fairly common: when kids get caught smoking.  It’s meant to make the activity unpleasant.  

I suggest that “Grandma Soda” ONCE made Jeanne smoke as punishment.  It has since been blown up into epic proportions and, in fact, the very “reason” why Jeanne is an addict.  

Jeanne has shown herself to be an unreliable narrator: one cheat meal = 29 extra pounds, oranges, etc.  

Jeanne said she stole her grandmother's soft drinks, so maybe she stole her cigarettes as well. 

1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Walk-in showers are pretty big, and if your bathroom is tiled or vinyled, it won't matter if there is some splash on the floor.  With a hand-held shower head, I think the fast majority of the folks we see here could use a walk-in shower with or without assistance in washing. 

That's true for the showers in fairly modern homes.  I am not sure if they are in a house or a double-wide trailer.  Aaron's house, I think, was a double-wide with a large shower.  I think Jeanne's house is probably older with a much narrower shower than those you are thinking of.  Ours is so narrow that  I doubt she could have fallen in it, but she would fit into one like Aaron had.    too bad she is five hours away, or she could go to Aaron's house for a shower.

• Useful 2
6 minutes ago, Twopper said:

That's true for the showers in fairly modern homes.  I am not sure if they are in a house or a double-wide trailer.  Aaron's house, I think, was a double-wide with a large shower.  I think Jeanne's house is probably older with a much narrower shower than those you are thinking of.  Ours is so narrow that  I doubt she could have fallen in it, but she would fit into one like Aaron had.    too bad she is five hours away, or she could go to Aaron's house for a shower.

Jeanne lives in Texas, so she's probably not five hours away from a Planet Fitness.  Monthly fee of $10, and she could use their showers.  But Jeanne only does what Jeanne wants to do.  Jeanne wants to eat.  Jeanne doesn't want to do anything else.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Jeanne lives in Texas, so she's probably not five hours away from a Planet Fitness.  Monthly fee of $10, and she could use their showers.  But Jeanne only does what Jeanne wants to do.  Jeanne wants to eat.  Jeanne doesn't want to do anything else.

She's about 20 miles away from Tyler which has a Planet Fitness.  I think the $10 is for the first month or two, then it jumps to $20, but that's still cheap.  And Gladewater is even closer;  it has several fitness centers, but I have no idea of the cost.    It creeps me out knowing that she lives so close to some of our Texas relatives.  I think I will go stand in the shower for a day or two.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I looked this up and the closest one is in Tyler TX.  City center to city center, that’s 28 minutes apart (which I would drive for a shower; but, I do drive, so I don’t need to inconvenience my mom or anyone else for that).

Jeanne probably needs a shower after every  bowel movement, at least until she can wipe effectively (good god, I can’t believe I am typing that sentence).  Gym shower will help, but not fix her hygiene issues.  

I think she likes being in her filth.   She probably doesn’t need a portable toilet*, but has one right where she eats and sleeps.  She can probably fit into the shower, she’s just afraid after her fall.  She didn’t even look clean (hair washed) in the hospital (although she may have been on sponge baths, if they didn’t want to keep re-bandaging wound). 

* unless the bathroom is fully hoarded.  It could be unusable for anyone and that was left unsaid.  I guess.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

Jeanne probably needs a shower after every  bowel movement, at least until she can wipe effectively (good god, I can’t believe I am typing that sentence).  Gym shower will help, but not fix her hygiene issues.  

GOD, NO GYM SHOWERS PLEASE!  I do not wish to use the same showers as someone who is washing large amounts of feces off a very large butt, which is also severely infected at all times I might add.  Let's be truthful, while I think Americans generally feel that people should be free to live as they wish in conditions most of us would consider filthy and degrading, Adult Protective Services needs to take over in this situation.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 3/22/2019 at 6:12 AM, Ladygold said:

I’m a newcomer to watching this show, and just finished watching the supersized show about Jeanne. Omg!  Jeanne & her mentally ill mother just grossed me out !   Jeanne is a pathetic piece of shit (literally!) and her mother is just not able to help because of her insanity.

I don't think he mother is mentally ill, just horribly downtrodden by Jeanne, and also physically ill from abdominal surgery that didn't heal properly, probably from all the caring for Jeanne.
If Jeanne eats herself to death, I think her mother might have a chance to get her life back together.

• Love 7

Jeanne is 39, which means she was born about 1980. She entered high school about 1995. And yet there is nothing about her presentation that suggests she is from such a contemporary period. Her dress, mannerisms, family relationships, interpersonal skills etc. seemed more like a person in the 1940s than somebody of the present time. Nothing about her suggests our contemporary culture.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

You know, I just can't believe that someone like Jeanne has become what she is due to simple vices like laziness, sloth, and gluttony taken to an extreme. I can't believe that someone would gradually put herself into such a state unless it were done as an expression of self-hatred and self-punishment. Unless perhaps it were caused by some form of insanity. No one with a healthy self-esteem and who is basically in their right mind would do this to themselves.

Jeanne does seem to be in touch with reality -- although she may ignore some of it as much as she can. She does not seem to have any self-esteem, or even self-respect. So this makes me tend to believe her tales of childhood abuse, which does tend to put a person on the road to self-destructive behavior. Some people can overcome that kind of treatment, but some cannot. In Jeanne's case, I think she is probably too far gone by now to repair her broken spirit and body.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Concerned said:

Her dress, mannerisms, family relationships, interpersonal skills etc. seemed more like a person in the 1940s than somebody of the present time. Nothing about her suggests our contemporary culture.

Yup, except for the 'smack a B.... Thursday' or whatever she said in the car. That's contemporary culture right there. I grew up with people who grew up in the 40's. They didn't speak that way to each other and they certainly didn't speak that way in front of their mother. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Twopper said:

You can buy outdoor showers that hook up to a garden hose  from a lot of places including Amazon.  Also you can buy screens or pop-up tents to put up around them.   There are fancier ones that hook up to the indoor plumbing so you can get both hot and cold water.  An out door shower would not work for her in the winter months. 

Our house is 100 years old.  I guess she could fit in our bathtubs, but I am sure she would not fit in our showers. 

I didn't even realize outdoor showers were available like that. My husband said the same about not being able to shower outside during the winter.

This episode was so sad, and being clean -- it's such a basic health factor that Jeanne didn't seem to desire.

I should be "I Used to Knit for Cats" -- they have... abused everything I have made for them -- little mats and things. We have commercially made throws and blankets that they snuggle and don't use as a litter box. :)

I haven't tried knitting with cat fur -- I think that is a thing, but I stick with the typical yarn in the usual stores.

Edited by IKnit4Cats
cat fur
  • Love 5

There is an inexpensive thing called a bidet hose. It attaches to your toilet. It would help these people. They could easily spray their bottoms with it. You hold it from the front and spray it back. It would clean Jeanne, she would have to sit on the toilet. Or she could lean over ithe toilet seat and her mom could spray her. It's a really simple solution.  I use these on my toilets because after living in Europe for awhile I realized I liked being really clean down there and toilet paper, no matter how hard I tried, just didn't work all the time. TMI? Can you imagine though trying to clean Jeanne up after she was sitting on one of her large sized bowel movements? I mean it has to be disgusting with all that fatty food she eats.

• Useful 2

I haven't watched this show in a while.  The opening shots of Jeanne piling food in her pie hole seemed extra graphic for some reason?  Really "up close and personal" work by the camerman!  It was literally stomach turning.  

With hoarders, I would often wonder what would actually happen to them if their hoard was removed without their permission?  I mean, would they literally work themselves up until they exploded?  Like confetti bursting into the air?  Or would they somehow, gasp, just keep on living and breathing?  The same applies to Jeanne.  As others noted in her initial office visit, she was one mean hornet when challenged.  What would she do if her Mom simply withheld food or offered only reasonable options and quantities?  I bet there would be a ton of hollering and thrashing about, but what is she literally going to do?  Even in Mom's bad shape, she'd be able to physically out run Jeanne.  Unfortunately, I don't think Mom had the spiritual strength to endure the demon possessed behavior that Jeanne would exhibit.  

• Love 7

With hoarders, I would often wonder what would actually happen to them if their hoard was removed without their permission?

Some talk show tried this years ago (might have been an early season of Oprah). It doesn't work and it can actually make the situation worse. Hoarding is an anxiety disorder so having the hoard suddenly disappear accelerates the anxiety. If there is no therapy provided at the same time, the hoarder is left with no coping mechanism at all - so the response can be anger, intense depression, self-harming behaviors - a whole host of responses. They also will go right back to rebuilding the hoard and will likely isolate themselves from others even further, particularly the ones who breached their trust and cleaned out the hoard.

With someone who is overeating, particularly someone like Jeanne, they have the added physical disability that prevents them from being able to get food (remember that Jeanne couldn't go to the grocery store). So it might work, temporarily, to restrict their food intake - that is essentially what happens if they are hospitalized and no one sneaks food into them. But again, without psychological intervention and the desire to change, they will just go back to overeating again as soon as they are left to their own devices.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

With hoarders, I would often wonder what would actually happen to them if their hoard was removed without their permission?  

10 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Some talk show tried this years ago (might have been an early season of Oprah). It doesn't work and it can actually make the situation worse. . . .

With someone who is overeating, particularly someone like Jeanne, they have the added physical disability that prevents them from being able to get food (remember that Jeanne couldn't go to the grocery store). So it might work, temporarily, to restrict their food intake - that is essentially what happens if they are hospitalized and no one sneaks food into them. But again, without psychological intervention and the desire to change, they will just go back to overeating again as soon as they are left to their own devices.

I recently heard a podcast in which Cory Chalmers, who has appeared doing cleanup on the Hoarders show, was interviewed. He said that if you just go in and clear out a hoarder's home without anyone helping the hoarder work on their psychological issues, it's like swooping in on a drug addict, disposing of their drugs and paraphernalia, and saying "See? We've fixed your problem. You're welcome!" And walking away.

The hoard is the symptom (for want of a better word I can't think of right now). It's like a drunkard's booze or a junkie's drugs, or, yes, an addictive eater's cupcakes. 

Of course, hoarders don't need a house full of old newspapers, and people can live without drinking alcohol or taking recreational drugs - but everybody's gotta eat. Sigh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/25/2019 at 6:55 AM, Mothra said:

Walk-in showers are pretty big, and if your bathroom is tiled or vinyled, it won't matter if there is some splash on the floor.  With a hand-held shower head, I think the fast majority of the folks we see here could use a walk-in shower with or without assistance in washing.  I think the big problem with tubs (besides having to step over and into them, which imo is too dangerous for most of them to be doing) is that the wall of the tub limits the space available for sitting while washing, or turning around, or bending over.  But refitting a bathroom with a walk-in shower big enough to accommodate a 600-pounder is an expensive proposition, and given that a good many of the poundticipants live in trailers where there may not even be enough room to install a big walk-in shower, it's probably not a feasible option in most cases.

I think your idea of somehow rigging an outdoor shower--where space would not be a problem--is a good one, but it's again one that would require an outlay of money that may be beyond the poundticipant's resources.  If someone could devise a good plan, with hot and cold water, that would be safe and comfortable, and post the plans on the internet, what a wonderful community project it would be for neighbors, churches and friends to create for the very fat person!

I want to know this too.

Ok so maybe some reality tv cross over needs to happen.  You have a ton of Duggar-esque families that head to Big Sandy every year.  Can't some of these religious folks build Jeanne a shower?!  Would take a couple of hours.  I jest sort of.  I thought that was one of the whole points of a church though.  Helping the community.  

• Love 5
On 3/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, CousinOliver said:

I looked this up and the closest one is in Tyler TX.  City center to city center, that’s 28 minutes apart (which I would drive for a shower; but, I do drive, so I don’t need to inconvenience my mom or anyone else for that).

I think she likes being in her filth.   She probably doesn’t need a portable toilet*, but has one right where she eats and sleeps.  She can probably fit into the shower, she’s just afraid after her fall.  She didn’t even look clean (hair washed) in the hospital (although she may have been on sponge baths, if they didn’t want to keep re-bandaging wound). 

* unless the bathroom is fully hoarded.  It could be unusable for anyone and that was left unsaid.  I guess.   

For this reason alone every gym going person in a 20 mile radius is thrilled Jeanne cannot drive.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

GOD, NO GYM SHOWERS PLEASE!  I do not wish to use the same showers as someone who is washing large amounts of feces off a very large butt, which is also severely infected at all times I might add.  Let's be truthful, while I think Americans generally feel that people should be free to live as they wish in conditions most of us would consider filthy and degrading, Adult Protective Services needs to take over in this situation.  

They do and I have said the same thing.  However, my experience with APS is less than favorable. 

Off topic but my APS experience:  Reported the woman who abused my dad 3 times.  They didn't return my call, called again and they forwarded me to another caller on hold, then they did nothing but a quick check.  This woman was reported for abusing 4 different men (by several different people), 1 died, 1 almost died, and the last 2 are still being abused by her.  This is where we have fairly decent services so I am guessing they would do nothing to help Jeanne or her mother.  

Someone recently repped a comment I made back in 2016. I'm going to repost my comment, as I think its relevant to Jeanne, and others on this show.  My original comment was about Sean in 2016.

---

I think 100 years from now, and probably even sooner, we will look back at the "treatments" for severe obesity and view them the way we now view medical interventions such as bloodletting. For people to get to these super-high weights, there is way more going on than just traumatic events and bad choices.  The field of research on genetics in obesity is really interesting.

Here is a little snippet about one study

"Dr Rachel Batterham from UCL and University College London Hospitals, who led the study, said: "We've known for a while that variations in the FTO gene are strongly linked with obesity, but until now we didn’t know why. What this study shows us is that individuals with two copies of the obesity-risk FTO variant are biologically programmed to eat more. Not only do these people have higher ghrelin levels and therefore feel hungrier, their brains respond differently to ghrelin and to pictures of food – it’s a double hit."

See more at: 

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2013/jul/how-obesity-gene-triggers-weight-gain#sthash.YUJ8hUYW.dpuf

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Being programmed to eat more is one thing, allowing yourself not to do anything about it at 350, 450, 550, with bloody painful sores, you can't walk to the toilet, is quite another. Maybe there is a gene that makes no realization that you have hit bottom  bottom. A lot of us are programmed to eat more, I would eat all day long if I could. I feel the urge to eat constantly - I battle demons at the grocery store- I pick up all the bad food and then realize I have to put it back. I want it so bad but I choose not to because of the ramifications to my health and appearance. sometimes I give in, knowing I shouldn't I don't care but like a lot of us when my weight hits a certain ceiling, I get myself on the stick. What makes another person just not care to the point of shitting in the bed and open wounds and maggots in skin folds? I don't think that is a strong drive to eat. I think it could be genetic though whatever it is. It is like an addiction gene. You just don't care about the negative things caused by the addiction you just can't stop. You have completely given up on life in order to get your fix. A lot of these people have never even tried to diet once.

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Addiction is not a gene.  There are genetic factors that affect how likely one is to develop addictions and how quickly one would develop them after exposure to pleasurable stimuli, but humans are much more complex than "push this button, get this result" and there is always a choice.  Though current thinking seems to be that once you make enough bad choices you get to the place where you are no longer capable of making good ones and it is not a matter of willpower anymore.  But no one HAS TO get to that point.  We are discussing food here, not crystal meth.

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Have I set the bar too low by being happy to fit in my shower and not be hosed down or bathe with a little pan of water?

I haven't eaten an orange. Could have been fifty pounds right there.

Edited by nokat
Orange.
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, nokat said:

Have I set the bar too low by being happy to fit in my shower and not be hosed down or bathe with a little pan of water?

No, you haven't.  Bonus points if you can wear shoes and fit in a car.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, nokat said:

A hot bath and a hot shower are such pleasures, I can't imagine going without.  And she willingly gave them up!  That alone would prove she is not right in the head in my book. 

• Love 4

By-pass surgery won't help Jeanne.  The family needs heavy duty therapy for depression. (Not Lola on the cellphone)

I find it hard to believe they both have lived as long as they have in that filth.  The AC unit was encrusted with mold and right next to her bed.  They must have fantastic immune systems to not have developed serious lung infections.  I wonder if the camera crew got to wear hazmat suits? 

Those poor dogs.  What a sad, sad episode.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 4