Type keyword(s) to search

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

• Start Topic

I flove Jax's new song as well as the video. Yes it's throwing major shade at Idol and the timing was certainly not a coincidence, however I really love the lyrics behind it. After the way they couldn't throw her off the stage fast enough after her elimination TPTB had this coming. It's catchy as hell too and actually very well written. Describes perfectly how these reality shows work. Good job Jax! And hey the girl is smart, you have to give her that. She knew this would get her in the headlines which is more than you can say probably for anyone else from last season, even the winner.

• Love 3

Even if Clay was right about Simon, I don't think it was nice of him to trash the show on Twitter.  After all, it made him even though he came in 2nd.  Also, if he felt the show had gotten so bad then he shouldn't have agreed to be on it this year to get back in the limelight, however briefly.  I thought it was a pretty classless move on his part.

• Love 5

I love what Clay is saying.  He's human... he can say what he wants.  He was on the show like 100 years ago.  I know he's "guesting" next week but he's allowed to have an opinion.  I agree with every single thing he said and it needed to be said.  The show is getting cancelled after once being a huge success.  He's giving a great opinion on why.

It's definitely not "trashing" the show in my humble opinion.  It's honest, needed, critical feedback.

clay1.jpg

clay2.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Rick, I am aware that American Idol is not a live show... I just meant that his spot AIRS next week.

Whether he said it before or after he was guesting, I'm not sure what is the difference?

Maybe he feels a loyalty to Simon Cowell over the producers and is upset with how things went down on his behalf?  I see his point that he feels so passionately about the show therefore has a strong opinion on it.  It's also the last season... maybe spectators are expecting more than what is being shown.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I don't think contestants should have to be forever grateful to this show. If anything, the show should be just as grateful to its contestants that took off (like Kelly, Clay, Fantasia, Carrie, etc.) for giving the brand longevity. Without the contestants, there is no show.

• Love 1

I am sure everyone else has only said the best things about companies they work/worked for, so bad Clay - funny how that was the biggest story about idol picked up - heck I bet a lot of people didn't know the show started and tuned in the next day to see if they were bored. or to snark on the show, Now I have to look up the ratings. darn. Nope went down a tad, but Wednesday there was nothing I wanted to watch,  on Thursday there were a few shows I watch regularly. 

Personally, I fell asleep both days watching the show, so can't say I remember a lot about them, just that they lulled me to sleep, I could have done with out the judges scripted jokes like handcuffs or lying on tables or being annoying to the contestants. Waste when they could have shown the other people they sent through. Add me to the people who find the judges not interesting. Each person is interesting for individual achievements, but together as judges ZZZZZZZZz.

• Love 1

Wow. I just listened to an interview that Jax did recently with a local radio station about her new song. She said right after she was eliminated, the producers literally threw her and her family onto the street and made them find their own transportation back to the hotel, within the same hour she was eliminated. Talk about cruel. I don't give a shit if she's "biting the hand that fed her." The way they tossed her off the stage without even letting her have a chance to thank her fans or the judges or sing one last time and then not even getting her family a taxi back home? Unbelievable. I can't imagine what it must feel like to go from having all the glitz and glamour one second to out on the street in an alley waiting for an Uber the next. Seems pretty dehumanizing. Not saying the show owes her anything but they could have shown her a little more common decency than they did. I don't recall any eliminated contestant being treated so horribly, without at least getting a chance to say a thank you before leaving the stage. So glad she hijacked the show the next night and said her piece like she deserved to and should have in the first place.

• Love 2

I wasn't particularly a JAX fan during her season, but I also never got the JAX hate.  In any case I think her new song and video are great.

This is the longer explanation she posted on social media:

“First of all, I just want to start off by saying thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you SO much to everybody who has supported me throughout my psychotic journey. I know I’ve been MIA for a minute. Turns out I was going through a lot and I needed to collect my thoughts and write it all out on paper. So I did…And I was incredibly nervous about sharing this. It took a lot of courage to put this song out, because I have no idea how everyone will react.

“I don’t want anybody to get the wrong idea. I am beyond grateful for my experience this past year. “The love and support has been surreal and an absolute dream come true. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I’ve made the best friends, a whole new family, and most importantly I found all of you guys. You’ve helped me heal, you’ve inspired me to grow as an artist and a person, and you make me feel empowered.

“That being said, I feel that it’s really important for me to be honest with all of you. To me, that’s what art is. Honesty. So as we enter the new year, I want to share my story with all of you. It’s the closest I can give you to a backstage pass. So before I move on and turn the page into my next chapter, I need this closure.

“I know not everyone will agree with me or like what I’m doing. But, I feel like God put me on this planet to make a difference…To make people think and see what the naked eye sometimes can’t. It’s my job as a songwriter to write from the real and not-so-comfortable places in my heart and I hope I can inspire other people to embrace their Broken Road. I love you guys and I owe you my world. Thank you for giving me this therapeutic opportunity. Onward and upward…To 2016. This is my truth.”

At least she doesn't sound like a petulant baby the way Clay did.

Even if Clay was right about Simon, I don't think it was nice of him to trash the show on Twitter.  After all, it made him even though he came in 2nd.  Also, if he felt the show had gotten so bad then he shouldn't have agreed to be on it this year to get back in the limelight, however briefly.  I thought it was a pretty classless move on his part.

MAYBE - (just a thought here)  this was all done with some calculation.  To generate buzz for the show.   

I thought of that, because, episode one, the clip of Clay was not him appearing on his season, not of him singing, but when he came back to surprise the Clay Aiken imitator.  

Perhaps this is more of the same- a Twitter war designed to stir up controversy to get more people to watch.   Leading up to an episode where one of the judges can't make it, and they tell Clay -"You think you could do better - prove it".  

• Love 3

Newest (third) commercial featuring Justin Guarini as Lil Sweet for Diet Dr. Pepper campaign. Funny with a dash of kooky.

Also, Guarini has an EP coming out in a few months. Not sure of date.

• Love 7

I am sure Adam will be absolutely yummy as Eddie.

Looking over this thread, I'm kind of shocked how little I followed it in recent years (after being pretty much obsessed through the first several seasons, and part of the core TWOP crew -- a moment of silence for EEEEeeee and the great Carmen's Dairy).

My all-time favorite idol was far and away Ruben, who has not even been mentioned on here as far as I can tell. And my favorite contestants remain, to this day, Rickey, George and Melinda (all early seasons).

However, I am going to be all in this year, unspoiled ... I have the first four audition episodes stacked up for a binge watch this weekend (I am off for the next 10 days) ...

Still, I would be surprised if anyone really gets my interest up the way they did back in the day. It's just so pre-fabricated and manipulated now ... I mean, I guess it was to a degree in the first few seasons but nothing like it is now.

• Love 1

Sydney James Harcourt from Season 5 (who I think was just Syd Harcourt at the time, and got cut in the chair round) is currently Leslie Odom Jr's (Aaron Burr) understudy in "Hamilton." Some audio files of him singing are circulating around the Internets. The show is amazing and he does the part incredibly well.

• Love 2

Wow. I just listened to an interview that Jax did recently with a local radio station about her new song. She said right after she was eliminated, the producers literally threw her and her family onto the street and made them find their own transportation back to the hotel, within the same hour she was eliminated. Talk about cruel. I don't give a shit if she's "biting the hand that fed her." The way they tossed her off the stage without even letting her have a chance to thank her fans or the judges or sing one last time and then not even getting her family a taxi back home? Unbelievable. I can't imagine what it must feel like to go from having all the glitz and glamour one second to out on the street in an alley waiting for an Uber the next. Seems pretty dehumanizing. Not saying the show owes her anything but they could have shown her a little more common decency than they did. I don't recall any eliminated contestant being treated so horribly, without at least getting a chance to say a thank you before leaving the stage. So glad she hijacked the show the next night and said her piece like she deserved to and should have in the first place.

I tuned out at Top 12 or so....just lost complete interest in the entire thing.  I've never heard Idol being rude or mean to contestants.  Jax' exit was so harsh, I can't help but wonder if she and/or her parents were backstage twats.

Not saying this was the case....just wondering if it was the case.

• Love 3

I tuned out at Top 12 or so....just lost complete interest in the entire thing.  I've never heard Idol being rude or mean to contestants.  Jax' exit was so harsh, I can't help but wonder if she and/or her parents were backstage twats.

Not saying this was the case....just wondering if it was the case.

I didn't hear about anyone else being tossed out on their ear. (Doesn't mean it didnt' happen if I didn't hear it) ....Where there's smoke.... ?

Newest (third) commercial featuring Justin Guarini as Lil Sweet for Diet Dr. Pepper campaign. Funny with a dash of kooky.

Also, Guarini has an EP coming out in a few months. Not sure of date.

That's so awesome!  He struggled so much after Idol.  Glad he is in the biz in some capacity.

• Love 2

Looked it up on Wiki, and Guarini's Broadway debut was in 2010 in an original musical production of a movie. However, he had earlier Broadway offers he declined. One of them "Lion King".

Long list of theatre roles on his page, starting in 2004. Some pictures.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 1

My favorite has and always will be Adam, from his very first audition. Saw him several times since Idol, and his tour with Queen was fantastic. Many people that stood next to us at the concert were not Adam fans, but his work with Queen and appreciation of Freddie Mercury, and singing won them over.  I also really liked Kimberley Locke, Frenchie, Latoya, & Bo Bice.  I remember more of the early contestants. I sort of did not watch too much after Adam didn't win.  I do think that Carrie, Kellie, Cook, Daughtry (even Clay) have all been good Idols and I have bought all of their CDs. 

• Love 4

I was in one of those Forever 21-like stores today, and they were playing Nick Fradiani's coronation song, Beautiful Life.  I was surprised to hear it, but it sounded really good playing throughout the store.  Some people were bouncing to the beat and enjoying themselves listening to it.  I don't know how much airplay it's getting, but I think TPTB need to push it because I think it could be a hit.  

• Love 1

I was in one of those Forever 21-like stores today, and they were playing Nick Fradiani's coronation song, Beautiful Life.  I was surprised to hear it, but it sounded really good playing throughout the store.  Some people were bouncing to the beat and enjoying themselves listening to it.  I don't know how much airplay it's getting, but I think TPTB need to push it because I think it could be a hit.  

They've already moved on to his next single, slated to be released next month I think. It's called "Get You Home" and honestly I don't care for it at all. It has a completely different tone from Beautiful Life, it sounds very Adam Levine-esque and they autotuned his voice to the point it's unrecognizable. I think Beautiful Life is quite good and hit worthy as well, but sadly I think Big Machine decided to move on quickly. 

• Love 1

Beautiful Life turned out to be a flop, despite the hard push by the label.  They were trying to mirror the Phillip Phillips' mega success with Home.

I agree, that the new single sounds nothing like Nick Fradiani.  But the pressure is on.  If the results are another disappointing Beautiful Life, I can see a "parting of the ways" with the label.

• Love 1

I didn't know if Nick had made an album at all so I went to the record company's web site.  What struck me is that the entire Big Machine site has 'copyright 2014' at the bottom.   

(edited)

Kelly Clarkson really hit it big with her performance of Piece by Piece last week.  The single was pretty much ignored when it was originally released last year, but has now hit No. 1 on iTunes, while her album is up to No. 3.  The video of the performance has also already surpassed 10 million views.

For those of us still lamenting the premature and unexplained elimination of Jessica Cabral earlier this season, here is her cover of Piece by Piece.  Just in case anyone might have forgotten just how good her voice is.

Edited to add that Kelly just recorded the version of this song she did on Idol and its already up on iTunes.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

Thanks so much for posting that!  See, boys and girls?  There's so much more to life than coloring inside the lines!

And Casey looks more like a Muppet every time I see him.  In a good way!

• Love 1