Type keyword(s) to search

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jason Castro and his siblings signed a record deal with Word a couple of weeks ago. Last night they performed at the Hotel Cafe in L.A., and some nice person put up a bunch of bootleg from there:

(There are a couple more videos at their YouTube channel, here.)

ETA: I know Word mostly does Christian music, but none of the songs fit that genre, they're all secular.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

Good for him. I don't know if it's weird or what that I don't think I once thought that Rayvon was gay, and yet I'm not at all surprised. I think it's hard for gay artists like Rayvon. On one hand, you want me to be who you are, but on the other, you have to worry about being labeled a "gay singer", even by people who otherwise accept you.

Wow. I just listened to an interview that Jax did recently with a local radio station about her new song. She said right after she was eliminated, the producers literally threw her and her family onto the street and made them find their own transportation back to the hotel, within the same hour she was eliminated. Talk about cruel. I don't give a shit if she's "biting the hand that fed her." The way they tossed her off the stage without even letting her have a chance to thank her fans or the judges or sing one last time and then not even getting her family a taxi back home? Unbelievable. I can't imagine what it must feel like to go from having all the glitz and glamour one second to out on the street in an alley waiting for an Uber the next. Seems pretty dehumanizing. Not saying the show owes her anything but they could have shown her a little more common decency than they did. I don't recall any eliminated contestant being treated so horribly, without at least getting a chance to say a thank you before leaving the stage. So glad she hijacked the show the next night and said her piece like she deserved to and should have in the first place.

I don't know. That almost sounds like a production mistake or something. I thought that whole thing was mishandled. I think there were some last minute changes and JAX wound up being ousted in an unceremonious fashion. Or she has a stank attitude behind the scenes so they were like bye bitch! I doubt that's the case since she seems like a sweet girl, but it's kind of fun to think about.

• Love 2

I just heard Haley Reinhardt on the radio.  I at first thought-- "Hey, this is an Idol alum!  Holy cow- are they playing a LaPorsha tune already?  Nah, this voice is too beautiful."  Maybe that's old news.  I see her playing concerts in town but I hadn't heard her on the radio before.

It's the sound track from a gum commercial.  :D

Those of you who remember me (as JazzieCazzie) from the way way way back days of TWoP might or might not remember that Rickey Smith was my all-time favorite American Idol contestant. Ever. I am really broken-hearted right now. He had a beautiful young baby girl ... a lovely family ... and dies at the "hands" of a drunk driver. 

Back during his AI season, a friend of mine who worked on the show and knew that I adored Rickey told him what a fan I was and he actually called me, out of the blue, just to say hello and chat with me. Made my day/week/year.

I know it may sound silly to be so upset by the passing of someone I barely "knew" but I am just gutted by this news.

• Love 10

Last I heard he had a singing bartender job. He really did have a lot of friends. It was hard top keep track of him because his name was not unique. liked his voice, he was just on the wrong season, if he were on another he would have ranked higher and maybe had his chance. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Those of you who remember me (as JazzieCazzie) from the way way way back days of TWoP might or might not remember that Rickey Smith was my all-time favorite American Idol contestant. Ever. I am really broken-hearted right now. He had a beautiful young baby girl ... a lovely family ... and dies at the "hands" of a drunk driver. 

Back during his AI season, a friend of mine who worked on the show and knew that I adored Rickey told him what a fan I was and he actually called me, out of the blue, just to say hello and chat with me. Made my day/week/year.

I know it may sound silly to be so upset by the passing of someone I barely "knew" but I am just gutted by this news.

Oh, Jazzie/Pamela, I am so sad too. I remember that he called you. He just seemed like such a good kind soul and my heart goes out to all who mourn him. Such a horrible, preventable death. So heartbreaking.

• Love 2

I was stlouischili on the boards back in the day.  Season 2 was the best AI season, to me, none of the other seasons ever came close to that cast.  Rickey was one of my favorites that season, too. So sad to hear about this.

• Love 3
(edited)

I couldn't believe it when I read the headline. He was completely memorable just for who he was and he had a great voice!

Re: the video above. American Idol Rewind was an answer at a trivia night I once participated in. I wasn't ashamed I knew it either! I wish we had gotten a few more seasons of that.

Was Rickey at the series finale?

Edited by Meatball

Clay linked to a GoFundMe page for a fundraiser for funeral and related expenses. The goal of 10K was surpassed in 3 days.

On 5/7/2016 at 2:22 AM, Meatball said:

Was Rickey at the series finale?

I found this list at JustJared, and Rickey's not listed as a performer. I'm not sure if there would be any site that would identify contestants who were at the audience or other festivities.

• Love 1

almost all the season 2 idols and Melinda went to the funeral. I think the absent was Corey, both Kims and Trenyce who is performing in England. That was nice, coming from all over the country.  

• Love 3

Tristan from this season made her Grand Ole Opry debut last night. Trent was there Periscoping with her. Her local paper also did a story on her where it mentions that she got on Idol after someone set up a Skype interview for her with Producers. It was obvious that her audition was a setup when her Mom walked in and Harry clearly knew about it but that makes at least two of the final 10 thiss season who didn't do the entire cattle call process. I wonder how many of them actually did the whole process from start to finish and weren't already previously known to producers. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, holly4755 said:

almost all the season 2 idols and Melinda went to the funeral. I think the absent was Corey, both Kims and Trenyce who is performing in England. That was nice, coming from all over the country.  

I wonder why the two Kims didn't go?  I was a fan of both of them but for different reasons.  I think Kimberly Locke's voice is one of my all-time favorites.

Glad to hear Trenyce is still performing! 

• Love 1

let's see - they could have had uncancellable events. Kim Caldwell is with her first baby, I know Carmen was there with her 4th, but hey by 4 Carmen is a pro mom, Kim might not have liked to travel with the baby.. Kim Locke has some other ventures - she gives voice lessons and is a chef (according to her web site).

His kid is funny in that video!

Rick Kitchen,  Looked up info for "Paint Your Wagon". Played last year, co-starring Keith Carradine. Venue was the NY Center City. Great venue off-Broadway. Cast album coming out this month.

NYTimes review. Praised the musical and "Mr. Guarini". Video of Guarini mid-page. Beautiful, almost operatic voice.

http://nyti.ms/197iQO3

CAZcKrzW8AEECjl.jpg

• Love 6

I bought the "Paint Your Wagon" cast album! I love Guarini's voice. That song excerpt really appealed to me. Getting his new album of originals, too.

Off to go watch Hailey's interview. It's nice to see truly talented people getting to do what they love.

• Love 2

According to a recent country radio appearance, Borchetta has decided to shelve Falling as Trent's first single and instead release a song Trent co-wrote in Nashville in the past month. Nice that Trent will have cowriting credit on his first post Idol single but the song is straight up radio country. Not country soul, no hint of R&B, none of the things I loved about Trent during Idol. He doesn't even sound particularly good on the acoustic version I heard. Curse you, Borchetta and your ugly leather jackets. Sigh. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, holly4755 said:

he worked very hard through some tough times, good for him, and good for all the fans who stuck with him through the hard times! 

I have always been a fan of his, and I'm so happy for his success.  This is one guy who earned it.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, holly4755 said:

he worked very hard through some tough times, good for him, and good for all the fans who stuck with him through the hard times! 

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I have always been a fan of his, and I'm so happy for his success.  This is one guy who earned it.

Justin has been BEYOND gracious regarding his idol experience - and losing to Kelly C.  He is super talented and coupled with his class and grace, I can't help but hope for good things for him.  I hope he's earning a large enough chunk of change from the Dr. Pepper commercials to afford him a nice home that keeps him and his family secure for his entire life.   The non-fro is a a good look for him.  FAR more handsome with a shorter cut.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 5

Guarini certainly has paid his dues. For any of you who have not heard all of 'Paint Your Wagon' songs, each song on the album is on YouTube. Sometime old music is great music.

Start with this lesser known song: (Wonderful, and make sure to stay until after the musical interlude, he kills it)

• Love 2
(edited)

Aw, that was very sweet of him and seems very in character. He seemed like such a genuinely nice guy and I loved his friendship with Ruben. IIRC, he toured with Ruben after the show for a bit. It's infuriating that a drunken idiot driving the wrong way survives and he gets killed, but that always does seem to be the way. 

I actually found an old mixed cd a few months ago that had his versions of Endless Love and One Last Cry on it and put them onto my iPod. I liked his One Last Cry better than the original. 

I hope he's earning a large enough chunk of change from the Dr. Pepper commercials to afford him a nice home that keeps him and his family secure for his entire life.   The non-fro is a a good look for him.  FAR more handsome with a shorter cut.

OMG, I saw that Dr. Pepper commercial a few days ago (but at the gym with no sound) and my first thought was that it looked like Guarini, but I couldn't figure out what was happening with the big red wig so I thought I was wrong. And weirdly, since I would NEVER ordinarily think they look anything alike, I briefly thought it might be Seth Green. From certain angles, ignoring the difference in skin tone, I can still see a resemblance.

Edited by ljenkins782
(edited)

Justin Guarini:  Hosting gig with BroadwayHD for the Tony Awards Sunday night. He also did this promo voice-over. Vid gives link for viewing.

Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler: Looking great on the CMT Awards. Carrie won a lot, and blew the house down with her new song.

AAgOFLf.jpg

AAgORf4.jpg

Edited by stonybrook
Link didn't work. Replaced.
  • Love 1