Type keyword(s) to search

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

• Start Topic

The Hollywood Christmas Parade just finished airing on the CW, and there were a couple of former Idol contestants.  Elliott Yamin, who had been on several times, performed "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."  There was also a performance of "My Grown-Up Christmas List" by Olivia Soli, who was in the top 20 last season.  I had to Google her, because it seems like I have trouble remembering anything other than the top 3 in the newer seasons!  I used to be much better about recalling the contestants.  Not a contestant, but Paula also appeared, sitting in a car and receiving a certificate (one of many presented on the show ) as Humanitarian of the Year.

• Like 2

Bad news for Gabby Barrett.  Her 2nd album just released did not make the Billboard Top 200 album chart.  This is a big plunge from her debut album.

Billboard called it a "flop" and Rolling Stone said it's a "disastrous" performance.

It's been noted that there wasn't a lot of promotion - which is usually not a good sign from the label.  Her radio singles have languished - and she's never headline her own tour.

6 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Bad news for Gabby Barrett.  Her 2nd album just released did not make the Billboard Top 200 album chart.  This is a big plunge from her debut album.

Billboard called it a "flop" and Rolling Stone said it's a "disastrous" performance.

It's been noted that there wasn't a lot of promotion - which is usually not a good sign from the label.  Her radio singles have languished - and she's never headline her own tour.

Sorry to hear that.  Maybe she's having a difficult pregnancy and was not able to promote it, not to mention caring for a couple of toddlers.  She's about to have her third kid in three years.  Definitely has her hands full.    

On 2/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Sorry to hear that.  Maybe she's having a difficult pregnancy and was not able to promote it, not to mention caring for a couple of toddlers.  She's about to have her third kid in three years.  Definitely has her hands full. 

Quoting myself to say Gabby had her third kid last Saturday:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/gabby-barrett-husband-cade-foehner-welcome-their-third-child-photo/ar-BB1irHuE

Ruben is scheduled to both be interviewed and perform on The Kelly Clarkson Show on Friday.  I also saw HunterGirl listed for a musical performance on next Monday's episode.

• Like 3

Fantasia won the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture for "The Color Purple."  She was also nominated for Entertainer of the Year, and I believe earlier in the year she was a Golden Globe nominee.

One thing that seemed odd is that Jennifer Hudson's show won the Image Award for Outstanding Talk Show, even though she wasn't among the nominees for host.

• Like 3

It’s been reported that Mandisa passed away.  No cause of death was reported. Very sad for her family she was only 47.  

• Sad 6

That's absolutely heartbreaking. A band I was in opened up for her back in 2007, and she was legitimately the sweetest, kindest person. She invited us onto her bus to hang out with her and her band, as we were at an outdoor venue and some nasty weather rolled in delaying the show. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4

Christian Rock Radio Station K-Love chief media officer David Pierce said in a statement that the author’s struggles are “over.”

Sadly, Mandisa had struggled with mental health issues and had previously attempted suicide.

• Sad 7
10 hours ago, tribeca said:

It’s been reported that Mandisa passed away.  No cause of death was reported. Very sad for her family she was only 47.  

I heard about this earlier. I liked her on the show and casually followed her career but didn’t buy her music. There are rumors of suicide so may she rest in peace

• Like 4
15 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

That's absolutely heartbreaking. A band I was in opened up for her back in 2007, and she was legitimately the sweetest, kindest person. She invited us onto her bus to hang out with her and her band, as we were at an outdoor venue and some nasty weather rolled in delaying the show. 

Aw, I'm glad you guys had such a lovely experience touring with her. That's really cool.

So sad to hear this news. May she rest in peace. 

• Like 2

The media has been running the clip where during her audition, Mandisa was fat-shamed by Simon Cowell. 

Even though she went on to be popular in Christian music and had won a Grammy, Idol never really acknowledged her a successful alum, that she deserved credit for.

• Sad 5
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, twilightzone said:

The media has been running the clip where during her audition, Mandisa was fat-shamed by Simon Cowell. 

Even though she went on to be popular in Christian music and had won a Grammy, Idol never really acknowledged her a successful alum, that she deserved credit for.

I can't believe that crap went on but it did. I remember how he hated Clay. Clay and Ruben made that show soar to the heights it did. He should be grateful. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember how he hated Clay. 

I don't think it's so much that he hated Clay as it was that he didn't want Clay to win.  He regularly criticized Clay and never criticized Ruben.  Oh, I think once he said something a little negative about an outfit Ruben wore.  Every other week, Ruben was the greatest thing since sliced bread, according to Simon.  The funny thing is, the more Simon talked negatively about Clay, the more the fans rallied around him.  Clay was a juggernaut and nothing Simon said could stop him.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I think Simon once said Ruben was "getting a little predictable" after he did a Barry White cover on Billy Joel night, and that was pretty much it for the criticism.

This article includes a number of tributes to Mandisa, including those from Paula, Taylor Hicks, Danny Gokey, Elliott Yamin and Kevin Covais.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mandisa-remembered-true-beacon-light-221501856.html

I believe they have a tribute from the official American Idol account as well.  I wonder if there will be a mention on the show even though she wasn't on ABC (they haven't always mentioned those from the FOX years who have passed).  I think Mandisa also performed the theme from Good Morning America at one time?  (Or had a song that was featured somehow?)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I don't think it's so much that he hated Clay as it was that he didn't want Clay to win.  He regularly criticized Clay and never criticized Ruben.  Oh, I think once he said something a little negative about an outfit Ruben wore.  Every other week, Ruben was the greatest thing since sliced bread, according to Simon.  The funny thing is, the more Simon talked negatively about Clay, the more the fans rallied around him.  Clay was a juggernaut and nothing Simon said could stop him.  

Good point and hate was too much of a word to use. Clay didn't fit the narrative of what an American Idol should be. 

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I think Mandisa also performed the theme from Good Morning America at one time?  (Or had a song that was featured somehow?)

Mandisa did perform on GMA; she also featured Robin Roberts (and others) in the 2013 video for her song "Overcomer".   Robin then used the song as the theme for a show or series of segments called "Overcomers."  

I'm so sad that she's gone.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
On 4/19/2024 at 10:08 AM, twilightzone said:

Sadly, Mandisa had struggled with mental health issues and had previously attempted suicide.

Oh, I hadn't even considered that. I read Toby Mack's tribute to her about her struggles but had assumed some kind of addiction issue. Very sad either way.

Jennifer Hudson is a prime example that you don't need to win American Idol in order to be successful. (At this point, I can see several of this season's singers having successful careers, regardless of whether or not they win.)

‘GOD TURNED IT AROUND’: JENNIFER HUDSON MARKS 20 YEARS SINCE AMERICAN IDOL ELIMINATION
Published: April 24, 2024
https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/jennifer-hudson-on-20-years-since-american-idol-elimination.html 

Jennifer Hudson is sharing a message of encouragement as she celebrates the 20th anniversary of her AMERICAN IDOL elimination. 

“On this day in 2004, I was eliminated from AMERICAN IDOL!” Hudson wrote on Instagram. “But God turned it around for my good! From Idol to EGOT baby !!! 20 years later, and now back on TV with my own show.”

She continued, “Never give up on your dreams, yal! If I can do it, so can u! If it’s not worth working hard for, it’s not worth it at all! Remember nobody knows your potential the way you do. Just keep the faith, keep believing, and keep going!!!”
Today, Hudson is an Oscar, Emmy, Tony and Grammy Award-winning actress and singer. ....

Edited by tv echo