Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tribeca

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

If you want a deep, deep dive into Idol History....I think I just saw Austin Wolfe (a S13 Semifinalist, who never even got to sing in the semifinals because they did that ridiculous thing where they only picked a certain number to actually sing for America's semifinal votes that season) step in and sing a Songland contestant's song for Julia Michaels. It ended up being the song that won too.

She was 16/17 during that AI season...so she'd be 22/23 now. Not reallly sure if she's still trying to make her way as a solo artist in the industry...but I'm sure getting some exposure on national TV couldn't hurt lol...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Like 2

Tim Halperin, who was one of the first (if not the first) contestant eliminated on Season 10 of Idol, was on Songland a couple of weeks ago.  He did a great job but his song wasn't picked (the artist was Lady Antebellum).  Tim gained a lot of notoriety in the DFW area because Kidd Kraddick, who was a nationally syndicated DJ based on Dallas, thought he was very talented and brought him on every week where he would perform a song that the winner from the night before sang and the radio audience would vote on whether Tim sang it better - it was a great gag that went on the entire season.  Good to see that he is still out there trying to make it in the music business!  A very likeable guy.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I was looking through the Grammy nominations and saw that Danny Gokey received a nomination.  I believe the category was Best Contemporary Christian Album.

He has a great career as a contemporary Christian artist.

• Like 3

Yeah, although Danny had some success in country right after the show and tried to be enthused about it, I think he was mostly steered there by 19 Entertainment and has found a home in contemporary Christian music. 

On the press release for this week's finale, when they mention who will perform on "We Are the World," they referred to Fantasia as "Fantasia Taylor."  This seemed odd because she's been married for a while and has continued to record and perform without a last name, as she had from the release of her debut album on.  I could be wrong (maybe she's decided to add her last name professionally), but I'm taking a guess that Disney/ABC put the "Taylor" in there because they don't like anything other than the animated movie being called "Fantasia."

• Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

Kelly Clarkson received a Daytime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host, one of 7 nominations for her show.

Also, Thia Megia, who finished either 10th or 11th in season 10 (it was a double elimination week because they had used the judges' save the previous week) has received a nomination for Outstanding Younger Actor or Actress in a Drama for her work on Days of Our Lives.

• Like 4

Remember Anoop Desai (Season 8)? I just saw him on an episode of Billions. His character was promoting a new energy system and he was looking for investors. He grew a beard, but the face was familiar. And then I saw his name in the closing credits and I said, "I knew he looked familiar!"

• Like 5

I remember Anoop and I liked him on Season 8.  Glad to know he's been getting gigs. 

I remember he brought the house down by unexpectedly singing Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative."  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ohwell said:

I remember Anoop and I liked him on Season 8.  Glad to know he's been getting gigs. 

I remember he brought the house down by unexpectedly singing Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative."  

Didn't Randy call him "Anoop Dogg"? Or did I hallucinate that?

• Like 1

Jax has a new single out:

She's apparently become quite a sensation on TikTok, reaching lots of youngsters who have no idea she was ever on Idol, let alone that she received the cruelest elimination they ever had.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Jax has a new single out:

She's apparently become quite a sensation on TikTok, reaching lots of youngsters who have no idea she was ever on Idol, let alone that she received the cruelest elimination they ever had.

So glad you posted this! I've seen her on TikTok, liked her very much and thought she was talented, and I also had this inkling that she seemed familiar somehow. I did not connect her with AI. She does a lot of clever quick songs she writes and sings as the other person in a lot of popular songs. I'm glad things are looking up for her.

• Like 4

Yeah, she was on Season 14 and made it to Top 3.  That was the first year they didn't have separate result shows, so at the finale, the Top 3 were backstage at the Kodak/Dolby Theater (where they do the Oscars), after presumably all going through dress rehearsals all week. Seacrest read the results to the TV viewers... and she was sent packing and never got to go out onto the stage in front of the audience. It still burns me becaues it just felt mean to do it that way.

Edited by MarkHB
  • Like 6

On 4/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, bluwater said:

Awful news. 😔 Avalon Young, who was on the last Fox season of Idol [Trent Harmon, Dalton Rapattoni, etc] , is struggling with brain cancer. There is a gofundme page set up for her. Man, lots of horrible stuff lately.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/2ai3zp54yo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Aw, man. Her cover of "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" in the semifinals was great. 

• Like 1

Constantine Maroulis recently did a two part interview on the Behind the Velvet Rope podcast.  He’s 45 years old and still a douche.  Apparently douchery does not age well.

• Laugh 3
  • Sad 1

Some things:

- I haven't followed everyone from the past season, but I know Hunter Metts says he has an album finished on the verge of being released and Grace Kinstler says an album will be coming soon.

- Jordin Sparks is going to star in and executive produce a new Christmas film on Hallmark later this year that ties into her Christmas album--as well as putting out a new holiday EP to coincide with it, I think? I read an article celebrating the anniversary of Battlefield. Jordin Sparks is still my favorite Idol contestant even after all this time and one of the few I loved who actually won the show (and the year I graduated high school at that). I have so much nostalgia for that album. There was actually a mention of David Archuleta in the article (another contestant I love), and that his favorite song from the album was the same as my own--"Walking On Snow." I still feel it should've been a single, either before or directly following after "Battlefield."

- Laci Kaye Booth joined a major label last year, and the album has finally come out. The new single is "Treasure." It's unfortunate that I like most of the album more than the single, lol, but I'm definitely wishing good things for her! She has a beautiful voice and has pretty strong songwriting talent on top of it.

- Carrie Underwood has a new duet with Jason Aldean out that looks like it's skyrocketing. Some think it may be a way for her to segue back into country after her back-to-back Christmas and Gospel albums, and that her next album may not be too far behind.

- Also happy for all the fanfare JHUD's receiving right now for the Aretha film! Perhaps she could win another major award. I read an article where she noted that all the other members of the Dreamgirls cast have worked with Disney recently and that she wishes she could play the lead Muse, Calliope, in the live-action Hercules remake, singing "Zero to Hero."

- Kelly Clarkson's prenup was upheld in court. Hopefully her divorce proceedings won't hold back her next album for too much longer now. :D Her daytime show is #1, I believe? Both it and The Voice's next season are about to return. I'm happy for her success, but I miss getting music from her.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Lauren Alaina will be starring in a Hallmark movie called Roadhouse Romance on September 11.  Seems like Hallmark likes the Idol ladies because Kellie Pickler has starred in several and, as mentioned in the above post, Jordan Sparks will be doing a Christmas movie)

• Like 1
  • Useful 3