Type keyword(s) to search

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

• Start Topic

Phillip Phillips 2nd radio single from his 3rd album, Collateral is 'Into The Wild'.  It is co-written with Phillip and Nathan Chapman (of Taylor Swift fame) and CMA and ACM award winning song writer Jon Nite.

Here is a review of the song.

Review: Phillip Phillips remarkable on new song 'Into The Wild' 

Overall, Phillip Phillips rocks on his latest song "Into The Wild." Thus far, "Miles" and "Dance With Me" are both solid, and the same holds true for "Into The Wild."

http://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/music/review-phillip-phillips-remarkable-on-new-song-into-the-wild/article/512004

• Love 1

Scotty McCreery has the number one country song.

A DJ heard it from a YouTube track and started playing it, and a label reached out to him and put it out on their label.

This is the track that got him the record label.

• Love 2

Scotty McCreery Ties Clay Aiken’s ‘American Idol’ Album Record

Annie Reuter

March 30, 2018

http://tasteofcountry.com/scotty-mccreery-ties-clay-aikens-american-idol-album-record/

Scotty McCreery won over viewers during Season 10 of American Idol and the "Five More Minutes" singer's continued success now ties him with longtime AI favorite Clay Aiken for most Top 10 albums from a male contestant on the show. This week, McCreery lands his fifth Top 10 album with Seasons Change, as the album entered the Billboard 200 at No 7.

• Love 2

Just saw Carrie’s video for Cry Pretty. First of all, is it just me or did she actually get hotter after the surgery? 

The song is vintage Carrie — an 80s power ballad masquerading as a Country song. It’s not bad, but it’s definitely a piece of product Carrie is selling.

You know, Simon said (no pun intended), Carrie was going to win and sell more records than anyone else, and for the longest time I resented that. Not only because I kinda disliked Simon, but because I felt Carrie was one of the few people on AI they actually promoted. So of course he was right. But...I have to say I have to give it up to Carrie. After almost fifteen years, she still looks great, she can still sing as well, if not better than she did on the show, and she’s carrying herself like a star. 

So many other artists, on AI and in general, act really regular, especially in the age of social media. Carrie’s a country bumpkin, has her country bonafides, but she acts like she’s a cut above the rest. I appreciate the effort.

• Love 5
(edited)

I was a Carrie fan from day one, but, admit that I had trouble envisioning how she would grow some on stage charisma, but, she did just fine and her vocals surpassed my expectations.  I buy her music and am never disappointed.  To me, she really can do it all.  I loved her in her bad asp of Somethin' Bad,

and

and I Told You So with Randy Travis on AI as well as How Great Thou Art. (religious).  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Kelly's medley opening the Billboard Music Awards was fantastic. As for her performance later in the show, "Whole Lotta Woman" is my least favorite song on Meaning of Life, but she's always a phenomenal performer. I'd love to see her host again. She's supposed to be on another NBC show later this week, a charity event. NBC seems to be fully behind her after she signed with them for The Voice. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Ugh. Here’s Carrie’s next album cover:

CryPrettyAlbumCover-1524057746.jpg

This is the second WACK album cover for Carrie. This is like a bad early-90s album cover. It’s like they’re trying to make her seem younger. Carrie you are a grown ass woman. I don’t even know if your damn album should be called Cry Pretty. This is just tacky. It’s gonna sell like hot cakes, but girl. The fake crying causing your Halloween makeup to run glamour shot is fucking late. I’m sorry.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1

They showed it on the show when she sang the song, and she had that makeup on during the song.  I agree, it looks juvenile.  Whatever, I'm not her market.  I'm sure there are people who love a song about the perils of running mascara.  (Tip:  They make it in waterproof.  And who cares if they're pretty while they're crying anyway.)

On 5/23/2018 at 8:35 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

And who cares if they're pretty while they're crying anyway.

I zoned out during her performance, but I think that's the point of the song, that "even if you're miserable you still have to look pretty" is yet another unreasonable pressure put on young women.

• Love 9

Cade won the Live with Kelly and Ryan contest for the non-wining contestants and got to perform this morning on the show. Maddie will be performing on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. 

• Love 4
On 5/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

Kelly's medley opening the Billboard Music Awards was fantastic. As for her performance later in the show, "Whole Lotta Woman" is my least favorite song on Meaning of Life, but she's always a phenomenal performer. I'd love to see her host again. She's supposed to be on another NBC show later this week, a charity event. NBC seems to be fully behind her after she signed with them for The Voice. 

After Kelly's performance, Adam Lambert tweeted:

"Yes. Reconfirmed. @kelly_clarkson is THE American idol. Your vocals are on another level."

• Love 7

Okay I hate to sound shallow but it through me for a second to see Kelly without make-up. At first I was like, “who is this?!” Kelly scared the shit out of me.

I just came to say Vonzell Solomon (S4) was featured in a video for Glamour Magazine for their series where artists watch fans cover their songs. She sang a version of Beautiful by Christina Aguilera and Christina saw and complimented her on her voice. Vonzell really hadn’t sged a day. I wonder why they didn’t bring her back for the finale a couple of years ago.

I hate to sound shallow too, but, even though, I'm a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, she never ceases to shock me with her fashion choices.  Until she got on The Voice, her taste in clothes was horrible, and her people weren't any better because they are professionals and picked out some super ugly stuff for her, but, that striped top above......looks like a little boy's shirt.  I wouldn't even keep that to do painting in. I like her not being pretentious and all, but, come on.....lol,

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Oh, lord, where do you even find a dress that ugly?! That is just hideous. You can't tell she's lost weight. No one could pull that dress off.

I kinda love Kelly's crazy (non-existant?) fashion sense.  It's like a FU to what's popular or in.  She blazes her own trail, that's for sure.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6

Ok, so this is really messing me up. A few weeks ago I made a post about a song whose video I saw on CMT called “A Little of Both” by a duo called Granville Automatic.

So I’m sitting here with my girlfriend watching CMT Music Videos and the video comes on again and I catch a glimpse of the lead singer and I literally said, “IS THAT VANESSA?!” A quick Google search confirms, yes, the lead singer is Vanessa Olivarez from S2. 

Gone is the spiky, fuschia crop of hair from her days on AI, but it’s definitely her. Her voice has deepened a bit, but it’s still resonant and expressive in a music theater sort of way (remember she sang Out Here On My Own by Irene Cara on the show). And she still has that spunky spirit. She name checks Tupac and Biggie at the end of the song, and says it’s easy to hate her because she makes it look easy. And, there’s a sly allusion to her sexuality. I think she’s bisexual (if not gay) and there’s a rumor that she was out to the other S2 contestants but not on the show.

But yeah, it’s nice to see her still making music. 

• Love 3

Tobeannounced, that person followed me to at least 4 boards where i posted under different names, so he had to be reading my stuff for a while, but , hey that's the kind of crazy that for some odd reason, Idol seems to have created. 

• Love 1

In homewrecker news, Asia’h Epperson (she was on in 2008, so I’m guessing S7) is the latest side chick for rapper T.I. For the non-hip-hop fans, T.I. Is the rapper on My Love by Justin Timberlake. 

I remember hearing about Asia’h years ago getting arrested at a nightclub in LA for fighting. It was caught on TMZ. Apparently she was in Straight Outta Compton, so she’s technically an actress. 

Shes very cute, but she’s trouble. Anyway, just thot I’d give you guys the update. Some of the alumni are still making music; some are just out here in these streets.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:32 PM, 27bored said:

Ok, so this is really messing me up. A few weeks ago I made a post about a song whose video I saw on CMT called “A Little of Both” by a duo called Granville Automatic.

So I’m sitting here with my girlfriend watching CMT Music Videos and the video comes on again and I catch a glimpse of the lead singer and I literally said, “IS THAT VANESSA?!” A quick Google search confirms, yes, the lead singer is Vanessa Olivarez from S2. 

Gone is the spiky, fuschia crop of hair from her days on AI, but it’s definitely her. Her voice has deepened a bit, but it’s still resonant and expressive in a music theater sort of way (remember she sang Out Here On My Own by Irene Cara on the show). And she still has that spunky spirit. She name checks Tupac and Biggie at the end of the song, and says it’s easy to hate her because she makes it look easy. And, there’s a sly allusion to her sexuality. I think she’s bisexual (if not gay) and there’s a rumor that she was out to the other S2 contestants but not on the show.

But yeah, it’s nice to see her still making music. 

Dang you're good!  I would never ever have recognized her.  Glad she's still in the business.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Well, Katherine McPhee is marrying David Foster. Ick. 

Here they are meeting each other on Idol 10 years ago when she was 24.

Edited by Fool to cry

Jonny Brenns and Jax both performed at the White House July 4th Celebration tonight.  Brenns apparently only performed one song (or at least only one was televised; maybe he sang another during a commercial break), while Jax got to sing two and MC'd a piece with a service member surprising his wife and 4 kids.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Quickbeam said:

Well, Katherine McPhee is marrying David Foster. Ick. 

She has a type, for sure. Her first husband was older than her too. David Foster's daughters are older than her.

Fun tidbit that might not amuse anyone but me: The mother of Clay's child is Jaymes Foster, David Foster's sister. Not sure if that is going to make Katherine and Clay even distinctly related, but it's still interesting :)

• Love 2
On 7/6/2018 at 1:25 AM, LexieLily said:

She has a type, for sure. Her first husband was older than her too. David Foster's daughters are older than her.

Fun tidbit that might not amuse anyone but me: The mother of Clay's child is Jaymes Foster, David Foster's sister. Not sure if that is going to make Katherine and Clay even distinctly related, but it's still interesting :)

Her first husband was "only" 19 years older.  David Foster is 68.  Apparently she refused to sign a prenup and he gave in.