Type keyword(s) to search

American Idol Past Contestants: What Are They Up To Now?

• Start Topic

Two former Idols make Rolling Stone's list:

Fall Country Music Preview 2015: 25 Essential Albums and Events

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/fall-country-music-preview-2015-25-essential-albums-and-events-20150904/brandy-clark-and-shane-mcanallys-hee-haw-musical-20150904#ixzz3kzxUsdlP
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Justin Guarini in the musical "Moonshine" (seated in rocker)

720x405-MS---Ryan-Nixon-Justin-Guarini-R

Carrie Underwood's new album release.

720x405-GettyImages-482709380.jpg

• Love 1

Updates:

Jordan Sparks co-hosted a dance show after DWTS tonight. She looked AMAZING, wish I had a picture. Did a good job from what I watched. Relaxed. Wore glasses to read prompter, looked sexy with them.

Justin Guarini's new musical (Moonshine) is getting buzz, made the New York Times.

(Note: Oh Well, one of the articles below refers to him as a Broadway veteran, which I thought you'd like)

Links and new picture.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/theater/brandy-clark-and-shane-mcanally-on-moonshine-that-hee-haw-musical.html?_r=0

http://www.theaterjones.com/ntx/features/20150907073738/2015-09-13/Something-to-Bray-About

l_150907090665.jpg

Kelly Clarkson cancels 6 tour dates. Doctor-ordered vocal rest.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kelly-clarkson-cancels-tour-dates-to-rest-voice-20150913

720x405-GettyImages-484657204.jpg

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 2

I'm always happy to see Justin Guarini working because he seems to be such a good sport about coming in second to someone who then had a meteoric rise.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 4

I'm always happy to see Justin Guarini working because he seems to be such a good sport about coming in second to someone who then had a meteoric rise.

He's more than "working", he has a very healthy career that I totally respect for how much talent it takes, and did not have handed to him. Also, I respect how he's consistently conducted himself in such a gracious manner. Frankly, some could learn from his example.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 2

Here's the cover of Carrie's new album, "Storyteller".

Yeeeeah. Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little weird? Carrie's always been a pretty girl, even after having a kid, but this looks like she's over-the-hill and trying to look young and almost virginal. She isn't 20-years-old on her first record. The excessive mop of blonde hair, the pose, the entire cover, just looks a little...desperate. She kind of looks like Marnie in that "What I Am" video...like she's about to start kicking around on some steps.

Kelly Clarkson cancels 6 tour dates. Doctor-ordered vocal rest.

Like I said, it's the extra weight. It's hard to rock out on your hits night after night when you're carrying around all that baby weight. I know I gave her crap for those country dresses she's wearing these days, and that doesn't help, but Kelly should've worked with a trainer/nutritionist to drop the weight before going back out on the road. It's not just aesthetic (I know Real Women Have Curves, but Pop Culture Doesn't Care); carrying extra weight around will cause you to tire out more quickly, it'll make you strain to sing loudly for long periods of time, and you wont rest as well, either.

Here's the cover of Carrie's new album, "Storyteller".

Yeeeeah. Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little weird? Carrie's always been a pretty girl, even after having a kid, but this looks like she's over-the-hill and trying to look young and almost virginal. She isn't 20-years-old on her first record. The excessive mop of blonde hair, the pose, the entire cover, just looks a little...desperate. She kind of looks like Marnie in that "What I Am" video...like she's about to start kicking around on some steps.

Maybe singing the remake of "I Hate Myself for Loving You" ("Waiting All Day for Sunday Night") has gotten into her head... it makes me think she's trying to Joan Jett it up a little.

see that Corey Clark (a.k.a as Craggle) was back in jail. his ex wife has a restraining order against him and he is only allowed to contact her with e-mail, but she stopped replying to his e-mails, so he started to follow her at a distance. 

back with a link. 

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/09/29/american-idol-bits-jennifer-hudson-corey-clark-kelly-clarkson/I

On a far less inspirational note, the ickiest contestant in “American Idol” history has to be Corey Clark. He may or may not have slept with Paula Abdul and was kicked out of the competition. He tried years later to sue “Idol” for racial discrimination to no avail. He just oozed smarmy.

Now he’s back in the news and he wasn’t performing for the Pope. TMZ reports that Clark allegedly broke a protective order his estranged wife had against him.

He was only allowed to communicate with Monica Clark via email and only to discuss their children. He supposedly began stalking her when she stopped replying to his emails, which were outside the scope of the order. One time, he allegedly stared at her for hours outside a restaurant.

He was jailed for misdemeanor domestic violence and a felony aggravated harassment.

kind of sad because he was a working background singer before he was on Idol, I think being thrown off ended that career.

Edited by holly4755

- I think the last Corey Clark link was the initial report, not current status of his situation.

- As for Carrie Underwood's album cover, I think she looks incredible and appropriately sexy.

Carrie_Underwood_-_Storyteller_%28Offici

-FYI: In addition to the initial six shows cancelled by Kelly Clarkson, the rest of the tour was also recently cancelled. Same reason, vocal rest.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kelly-clarkson-cancels-all-remaining-2015-tour-dates-20150930

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 1

Did American Idol star David Cook secretly get married?

The season seven winner was spotted wearing a wedding ring at his Oct. 4 concert at Los Angeles venue The Troubadour (watch Cook perform "Paper Heart") and multiple sources confirm to Billboard's Idol Worship that the 32-year-old did tie the knot over the summer.

So who is the mystery Mrs. Cook? A rep for the singer would not comment but insiders say it's a longtime girlfriend.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/idol-worship/6715569/american-idol-winner-david-cook-is-married

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/kimberly-caldwell-gives-birth-welcomes-baby-girl-first-pictures-2015810

On Wednesday, Oct. 7, American Idol alum Kimberly Caldwell welcomed her first child, a baby girl, with her husband, Jordan Harvey.

The new parents exclusively tell Us Weekly that little Harlow Monroe Harvey came into the world at 9:37 a.m. "weighing in at a dainty but mighty 5.2 pounds and 18.5 inches long."

• Love 1

Well, that's nice for Kimberly Caldwell and her hubby.  However, has she done anything since she was on Idol 12 years ago?  If not, then I don't understand why US magazine would think it's news to the general public. 

Without looking it all up, I know Caldwell worked in television for several years, mostly TVG Network, hosting shows and live events like the Grammys. I think she released two albums, and I've seen her perform on talk shows. Sounded really good. She's actually had a pretty good run. Anyway, congrats on baby and happy marriage. Underneath that boisterous personality seemed to be a genuinely kind soul.

Also congrats to Cook, if true. Good guy.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 1

To be honest, I haven't really liked any of the covers for Carrie's albums outside the first one and Play On. The new one is probably the worst one she's had after CR (where she doesn't even look like herself). It's a shame, because she really is very pretty. I don't think I could ever see her as sexy though; Faith Hill, she isn't.

Not surprised about the tour cancellation for Kelly Clarkson. There had already been articles about the same problems from the second pregnancy that she had with her first. I imagine lots of morning sickness... Poor girl.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Kellie Pickler has carved out a nice career for herself, post-Idol.  She surfaces in so many different areas.  Good for her!  I loved her in S5.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6729460/faith-hill-kellie-pickler-nashville-talk-show

Country music star Faith Hill is expanding her résumé and heading behind the camera to executive-produce a new daytime talk show with Oprah veteran Lisa Erspamer.

The as-yet-untitled syndicated lifestyle program will be co-hosted by singer Kellie Pickler. (Both Hill and Pickler are represented by Creative Artists Agency.)

• Love 3

Pickler s/b a great talk show co-host. She's naturally funny, very likeable. I adored her personality on DWTS. Plus, I love for good things to happen for people who persevere tough times (as her childhood) w/ such positivity.

When you think about it, several AI Alum doing well, if not always getting noted.

Edited to add another Alum example. Justin Guarini is coming out w/ new original music. The video explaining his decision is sweet and shows his kids. I'm definitely curious, so I pre-ordered.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/justinguarini

large.jpg?1443123967

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 1

So I listened to Carrie's entire "Storyteller" album. I have no idea why.

Carrie's kind of like if Beyonce was a country singer. Beyonce's naturally attractive, she's a great singer, and she tends exist in this very obvious, bright, radiant place without a lot of subtlety. I guess this is what makes her a diva: her ability, and desire, to wring out as much drama as she can in her music.

Carrie's the same way at this stage in her career. Not much subtlety, not much effervescence, not much nuance. Just Carrie chewing the scenery in whatever the scene she's in, for whatever character she's playing. Even some of her phrasing reminds me of Beyonce (see: "Relapse")

This makes her music by turns exciting and a bit...much. The thing about this album, and probably all of her albums, is that Carrie sounds not-very-country. I don't know if that means I have a stereotypical view of what country should sound like or what, but most of Carrie's songs sound like adult contemporary songs with a few drinking, God/church, and down home references put in and fiddles thrown in here and there. This kind of muted country works for her the way it works for Rascal Flatts (whom she sang a duet with on Idol IIRC), but it's also interesting that she's at the top of the heap when more often than not Carrie sounds anything but country.

Her voice, with a distinct lack of twang and even when she adopts a very obvious "country" affect, is still very appealing. She will unleash yells and cries over several notes, then let her voice simmer to a whisper, then it'll crackle with electricity again. For someone who isn't all that dynamic as a personality, she's got a lot of power on record and whether her songs are written this way or if it's just her, I don't know, but it's hard to get a good vibe of a song because Carrie commands so much attention. There's a song "Mexico" that could've been a fun, sexy little number if it were in the hands of a different vocalist, but with Carrie it's a dirge because that's what she wants it to be. Even her lead single from this album "Smoke Break" takes on a different vibe because Carrie's the one belting it out. She doesn't sound at all like she'd slide up next to you at a bar and have a drink with you, and she definitely wouldn't take a drag off a cigarette outside the bar. No, it's like, it's okay to have a drink or a cigarette because Ms. Underwood says so. Because she understands how tough life can be for common, working folks.

It's hard to say she oversings, because she doesn't and some of her material would sound like filler if she weren't such a good singer, but without Carrie "selling" it, it's hard to say the music is that interesting, too. If you remember Carrie's "moment" on Idol with "Alone" where she reached down deep and pulled out that big, tough, fearless voice -- that's pretty much all she does now. It was good back then because she was just the mild-mannered, pretty, country chick. But a whole album of that is too much.

Edited by 27bored

The thing about this album, and probably all of her albums, is that Carrie sounds not-very-country. I don't know if that means I have a stereotypical view of what country should sound like or what, but most of Carrie's songs sound like adult contemporary songs with a few drinking, God/church, and down home references put in and fiddles thrown in here and there. This kind of muted country works for her the way it works for Rascal Flatts (whom she sang a duet with on Idol IIRC), but it's also interesting that she's at the top of the heap when more often than not Carrie sounds anything but country.

I've always kind of thought this about her. I prefer old country, though.

Well if anyone was watching the pre-game for Monday Night Football (Pats v. Bills) they got to hear AI alum, Ayla Brown from S5 sing the National Anthem. That in and of itself isn't overly surprising. She did a ton of anthems during her time as a basketball player at Boston College...and I think she was an easy choice at various sporting events in the New England area during that time as well.

What was interesting was how they referred to her as a "Rising Nashville artist" or something to that effect. So clearly she's become another in a long line of failed pop singers who have tried to re-invent themselves as a current country (or pop-country) artist.

It got me thinking about the less successful AI alums who ventured to Nashville and the country music scene. Does anyone remember Carmen Rassmussen?

I actually remember seeing her debut this on CMT's Top 20 show. It was very odd because their had to have been at least a three year gap between her stint on AI and this music video coming out. It (and the record) must have immediately tanked, because I probably only saw the music video two or three other times.

Or what about Phil Stacey?

To my knowledge, Casey James (who has actually achieved a modest level of commercial success compared to the previous two) and Jeremy Michael Sarver (who hasn't) are a couple more I know that are still kicking around the Nashville scene. Anybody else have any failed alums in Country or other genres whom you fondly remember?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Oh, lord, Ayla Brown started with pop music on American Idol.  Then I saw a news story on her entry into blues.  Then it was country.  Most recently she's made the "God Bless America" circuit her home.  Like her dad, she's willing to adjust her image to whatever will get her the most play.  Can't fault her though:  she's apparently making a living at it and in my encounters with her she has always been quite nice.

• Love 1

Anybody else have any failed alums in Country or other genres whom you fondly remember?

I actually bought Bucky Covington's first CD and thought it was pretty good. I have no idea what he's doing now. I also had Phil Stacy's CD and and Chris Sligh's too. both good listens. 

Another Casey (Casey James) had a great first CD. I listen to that one all the time. 

• Love 2

Actually, going to Nashville doesn't necessarily mean going country. Apparently it's a lot more cost-effective to write and record there than in New York or LA, and the facilities are as good or better, so a lot of singers from other genres are gravitating there as well.

Grammy nominations:

Kelly Clarkson

"Heartbeat Song" for Best Pop Solo Performance

Piece by Piece for Best Pop Vocal Album

Carrie Underwood

"Little Toy Guns" for Best Country Solo Performance

I'd hoped Jennifer Hudson or Jordin Sparks might get nominated for something, but nope.

Ayla Brown (I forgot what season she was on) sang on the Republican debates tonight. She did country sexpot versions of God Bless America and the SSB. I don't remember her voice being so twangy, but it was tonight. Think if Leeann Rimes took a 35% critical hit damage to her charisma.

• Love 1

American Idol Star Joey Cook Arrested At Airport (MUG SHOT)

“American Idol” star Joey Cook was arrested at a Wyoming airport early Friday morning.

A report from TMZ says that she was arrested in Rock Springs, WY for possession of marijuana. She spent 5 hours in jail before seeing a judge. She paid a $240 fine and was sentenced to 12 months of probation.

Joey has on her way to a show in Denver Friday night when the TSA stopped her.

Ayla Brown (I forgot what season she was on) sang on the Republican debates tonight. She did country sexpot versions of God Bless America and the SSB. I don't remember her voice being so twangy, but it was tonight. Think if Leeann Rimes took a 35% critical hit damage to her charisma.

Ayla was on Season 5 of AI.

• Love 1

The original article has been updated to include a statement from Joey, apologizing for the situation and saying she needed it because she has epilepsy. I remember it was briefly mentioned last season on AI that she is indeed an epileptic. Sometimes she would be wearing sunglasses if another performer was using bright lights in their performance. That being said, I don't know why she can't just use a legal medication for her epilepsy.

• Love 5

Medical marijuana is not legal in every state.

I know that, which is why I said why can't she use a legal medication. But I've read that sometimes marijuana is more effective for some than medication, so maybe it's a little more complicated for her than just using whatever's legal.

There are some countries I have traveled to that I could not take my ritalin because it is a controlled substance. It doesn't matter that it is legal int he US, it is not legal in Egypt (or wasn't when I went). If I took my ritalin to Egypt and was arrested, that is on me for not knowing their laws and violating.

Medical marijuana is not legal in all 50 states. It is the responsibility of the individual to know where they can legally use medical marijuana and where they cannot. If she took it to a state that does not allow medical marijuana, it is not a legal medicine.

It is very possible that it is more effective then other epilepsy medicines but if it is not legal she risks arrest if she takes it with her.

I am not saying that I am agreeing with the law, just saying that it was not a legal medicine.

There are some countries I have traveled to that I could not take my ritalin because it is a controlled substance. It doesn't matter that it is legal int he US, it is not legal in Egypt (or wasn't when I went). If I took my ritalin to Egypt and was arrested, that is on me for not knowing their laws and violating.

Medical marijuana is not legal in all 50 states. It is the responsibility of the individual to know where they can legally use medical marijuana and where they cannot. If she took it to a state that does not allow medical marijuana, it is not a legal medicine.

It is very possible that it is more effective then other epilepsy medicines but if it is not legal she risks arrest if she takes it with her.

I am not saying that I am agreeing with the law, just saying that it was not a legal medicine.

You still don't understand what I'm saying. I perfectly well know that medical marijuana is not legal everywhere. I was saying I don't know why she doesn't just use a different medication, that's prescribed by a doctor, and that is perfectly legal to use no matter where she goes. It seems like a major pain to be using a drug that is not legal everywhere, especially since part of her job requires travel. And I was saying that maybe the reason is marijuana works better for her I guess, but I just think it would make things easier for her if she used something ELSE that's perfectly legal everywhere.