Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Manhunt

• Start Topic

When a prison bus crashes, all units must respond as some inmates face severe injuries while others seek an opportunity to flee. In the wake of the accident, Officer Nolan tries to impress an FBI hostage negotiator while tracking down an escaped convict.

Sarah Shahi was a positive addition. 

At this point Nolan might just as well wear Nathan's old Captain Hammer cape (from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog ) because Nolan is totally Officer Super Cop. I mean, he's even got a Bruce Wayne lair/man-cave/mansion.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

If the rookies read their "easy" lines correctly, would they really have been "punked"? Once again Chen is made to look stupid. 

Isn't this a job where the U.S. Marshals take lead?

Bradford must have nine lives. I was sure he got shot on the driver's side.

I thought West's father made it through clean by the writers. Nope! Now add him to the list of "other" cops they will abuse (dirty cop). 

I find it hard to believe Grey sent all the available police to Nolan. There were a bunch of cops just skipping around the police station.

Bradford gets a text from Deacon about Marcos but doesn't tell his superiors until he reaches the location? That street should have been flooded with cops from the start. (Deep down) maybe he wanted to prove the lady wrong about analytics and go alone??!!

Did Caleb have to do that to poor aunt Sallie? She would have made him a PB&J sandwich as he collected the money.  If they had tasered or shot him, his falling down would not have caused the rope to pull the trigger from that position. 

Are we going to see the little militia make a return in future episodes? Or was this just a little preaching moment from the writers?

There's probably more the Beth story. She probably put Graham in the "friend zone" and it scared him away.

Their break room has a lot of candy. No wonder some of them are out of shape.

• Love 3

I try not to think too hard on this show...For me, it's just an escapist, cop show...sort of a throwback to 70's-80's type shows..plus, watching them make Nolan run once a week is entertaining. I hope they keep it around as I need something light and airy...NCIS was that for me but now that's like ZZZquil.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Was I the only one disappointed that nobody shot the rope to the rifle booby trap aimed at poor Aunt Sallie? I don't recall, but isn't one of them a crack shot? Maybe Bishop? 

At the time, I was thinking of just bringing out the some scissors or bolt cutters (if it's too thick). 

I don't remember anyone being the crack shot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Was I the only one disappointed that nobody shot the rope to the rifle booby trap aimed at poor Aunt Sallie? I don't recall, but isn't one of them a crack shot? Maybe Bishop? 

Wouldn't that have shot Sallie? Dead man's ______?

Oh, wait I guess I'm thinking of a different string. Oops. Carry on.

Edited by rhys
I'm an idiot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, shapeshifter said:

Even for a marksman it's not easy to hit string w/ a bullet. My dad was military police in the Air Force and on the shooting range, he and the others would try to hit the string. Occasionally they made the shot. 

Sarah. Shahi. That is all. 

Edited by Loandbehold
Because "day" and "dad" are different words w/ different meanings.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

The con played by H!ITG! who IMDb doesn't have listed yet who claimed West's dad was a dirty cop was totally playing him, right? 
I mean, "West" is a very common name. It was a wild guess, right? 
And then when West Jr. said it was his dad, the con just ran with it. 
And a white guy claims a black kid looks like his dad? Not too likely.
At least, that would be the more interesting story, IMO.

ETA: This theory doesn't work because the con knew West senior's first name, "Percy."

Edited by shapeshifter

I wasn't the worst episode- it wasn't the best.

Nathan needs to get in shape,  This isn't Castle, he needs to get in shape if  wants to keep it going.   It is becoming distracting.

He looks great in real-life, but portraying a cop in his 40's, it is not working

• Love 1

Pretty early on, I was thinking that Nathon Fillion decided it would be fun to make out with Sarah Shahi on screen. It appears that will happen soon.

Next week, America's Naughtiest Home Videos with Bob Sagat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, break21 said:

I wasn't the worst episode- it wasn't the best.

Nathan needs to get in shape,  This isn't Castle, he needs to get in shape if  wants to keep it going.   It is becoming distracting.

He looks great in real-life, but portraying a cop in his 40's, it is not working

Nathan's not in the shape of the other TV cops in starring roles, but he is in the shape of both cops on TV who are extras or in recurring roles, and he is definitely in the shape of a lot of real life cops. I would prefer if he looked "healthier," but some of us who are naturally more fit are the ones who wind up with fatal diseases anyway. Regardless, Nathan seems unlikely to become svelte at this point, and I find myself more distracted by his neck skin than his waistline.

Oops. Or were you referring to his running and other action capabilities rather than his heft?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nathan's not in the shape of the other TV cops in starring roles, but he is in the shape of both cops on TV who are extras or in recurring roles, and he is definitely in the shape of a lot of real life cops. I would prefer if he looked "healthier," but some of us who are naturally more fit are the ones who wind up with fatal diseases anyway. Regardless, Nathan seems unlikely to become svelte at this point, and I find myself more distracted by his neck skin than his waistline.

Oops. Or were you referring to his running and other action capabilities rather than his heft?

I think Nathan Fillion is so handsome., but for him to sell it as a Rookie, he has to be in shape.  It's becoming distracting for me as the series go's on.   If he's going to sell it, he has to be in shape.  It started out on a good note anyway.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Nathan's looking perfectly OK as a TV cop, and even as a real cop, comparable to many I see on the streets.  Not every cop in the real world is rocking a six pack, not by a long shot.  Nathan's already lost sizable weight for this role and it would be nice if people would give him a thumbs up for that because losing weight is never easy, instead of piling on with the body shaming, like too many actresses are subjected to. He looks perfectly OK too in real life from his recent social media.  I used to watch The Closer and the cops there were definitely all shapes and sizes and ages too and how they looked was never an issue in the realm of show discussion.  Don't get me started on British or European cop shows where the police officers definitely come in all shapes and sizes (being more reality based).  It would be strange if they all looked like models on a Brit show.   I mean, unless you have expectations of The Rookie being a soap or a CW show (sorry soaps and CW shows, I actually haven't watched either in years so I could be wrong about the shallow factor) or you have expectations of Nathan looking like he did back in his Firefly days, I really don't see any issues here either. Maybe this is more about the lens of the viewer rather than the show itself.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 23

Back to the episode itself, didn't like it as much as last week's. 

Thought Nolan would have texted Sarah Shahi's character after she gave him her number but I guess he's old school? I.e. showing his age lol or he's ballsy in going straight for the (too soon heh) phone call than the text.  Why do I think that the "lying ruins rapport" line is going to be worked into their relationship down the line?  I hope they do something fun with this relationship rather than go for any cliches.  I like SS but between her and the actress playing Chen, I kind of wish Nathan would be paired with a taller actress sometimes.  It would have been better if they'd given us more insight into how she and Gray knew each other, and why Nolan would have been such a fan of her book.  Because of his longstanding interest in law enforcement? He wanted to join the FBI? He has a thing for hostage negotiations?

The gang felon storyline wasn't that interesting and I found it a bit unbelievable that Bradford and Chen would be out in gang territory without backup against the world.  Unbelievable that Nolan would wander into the woods alone to search for felons or that he and Bishop would go into that house without backup either.  Good to see Sean Maher but why on earth did his character not just tie up the old lady and tape her mouth instead of going to all the trouble of setting up the gun?  The Beth storyline didn't really work for me either because I kept on thinking something was up with the deputy to do with the escape.  So I guess something may be up with West's Dad?  Otherwise what was the point of that storyline other than to sow doubt.  I don't think they'll make anyone a dirty cop on this show but maybe West will understand better the kind of cop his Dad is in real life as opposed to his image of him. Bradford going for the Sergeant's exam, Gray possibly moving on from the force... I guess they are setting things up for the finale?  I miss the Captain, where is the Captain?  That role always gets the short end of the stick in these precinct shows. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, mxc90 said:

If the rookies read their "easy" lines correctly, would they really have been "punked"? Once again Chen is made to look stupid. 

Isn't this a job where the U.S. Marshals take lead?

I wonder if that is real life or just the prejudice set up in The Fugitive movies to have an outsider force instead  of the local force who got the wrong man to work the case?

They were state, not federal prisoners near an ocean and probably not crossing any state border anytime soon 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was upset that Nolen didn't distract him so she could cut that rope. Or she could have when he still had his head up the chimney.

@mxc90, I agree about the Marshals, they would have taken the lead. 

Edited by Reality police
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I think Nathan's looking perfectly OK as a TV cop, and even as a real cop, comparable to many I see on the streets.  Not every cop in the real world is rocking a six pack, not by a long shot.  Nathan's already lost sizable weight for this role and it would be nice if people would give him a thumbs up for that because losing weight is never easy, instead of piling on with the body shaming, like too many actresses are subjected to. He looks perfectly OK too in real life from his recent social media.  I used to watch The Closer and the cops there were definitely all shapes and sizes and ages too and how they looked was never an issue in the realm of show discussion.  Don't get me started on British or European cop shows where the police officers definitely come in all shapes and sizes (being more reality based).  It would be strange if they all looked like models on a Brit show.   I mean, unless you have expectations of The Rookie being a soap or a CW show (sorry soaps and CW shows, I actually haven't watched either in years so I could be wrong about the shallow factor) or you have expectations of Nathan looking like he did back in his Firefly days, I really don't see any issues here either. Maybe this is more about the lens of the viewer rather than the show itself.

As I said, Nathan is incredibly handsome.   But for this role, he really needs to be in shape.  Not body-shaming at all, but the role requires him to look fit to sell the part.   Nathan is incredible looking and I don't expect him to look like he did in Firefly days.  I'm being honest, he doesn't look the part.    

• Love 2
1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

Thought Nolan would have texted Sarah Shahi's character after she gave him her number but I guess he's old school? I.e. showing his age lol or he's ballsy in going straight for the (too soon heh) phone call than the text.  Why do I think that the "lying ruins rapport" line is going to be worked into their relationship down the line?  I hope they do something fun with this relationship rather than go for any cliches.  I like SS but between her and the actress playing Chen, I kind of wish Nathan would be paired with a taller actress sometimes.  It would have been better if they'd given us more insight into how she and Gray knew each other, and why Nolan would have been such a fan of her book.  Because of his longstanding interest in law enforcement? He wanted to join the FBI? He has a thing for hostage negotiations?

Really, you would ask a girl out on a first date in a "text". Going on a date is a negotiation and she is a negotiator, she would probably enjoy working out every detail of how the date should play out.

I think Nolan and the rest of the precinct knew she was going to give a presentation that day. Nolan bought her book to prepare for it and laughed at West by saying West would have bought the book as well if he was still in the Academy.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, rhys said:

So was Papa West a dirty cop?

Maybe, maybe not.  He may have been having some fun at West's expense, or he may have been telling a half-truth, or maybe Papa West was a dirty cop.

14 hours ago, voiceover said:

"I will shoot you in the face.  A lot."

love Bishop!!

She is great, one of my favorites on the show.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nathan's not in the shape of the other TV cops in starring roles, but he is in the shape of both cops on TV who are extras or in recurring roles, and he is definitely in the shape of a lot of real life cops.

3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I think Nathan's looking perfectly OK as a TV cop, and even as a real cop, comparable to many I see on the streets.  Not every cop in the real world is rocking a six pack, not by a long shot.

The thing is, though, that Nolan is only a few months out of the academy, where he would presumably going through regular fitness activities - running and other exercises - and should be in the best shape of his life.

As to US Marshals vs. LAPD doing the search for the prisoners - they were state prisoners, not federal, and were being transported by the local Sheriff's department, not federal prisoner transport.  Also, given the time frame, you can have a swarm of LAPD resources on scene in minutes, whereas the US Marshals would need some time to get on scene and set up.

4 hours ago, break21 said:

As I said, Nathan is incredibly handsome.   But for this role, he really needs to be in shape.  Not body-shaming at all, but the role requires him to look fit to sell the part.   Nathan is incredible looking and I don't expect him to look like he did in Firefly days.  I'm being honest, he doesn't look the part.    

Completely disagree. He's not supposed to look like a 25 year old cop. He looks just fine for the role. And according to the majority of viewers, he's selling the part just fine too. 

• Love 10
16 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I try not to think too hard on this show...For me, it's just an escapist, cop show...sort of a throwback to 70's-80's type shows..

I keep comparing it to The Rookies and TJ Hooker. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, madmaverick said:

So I guess something may be up with West's Dad?  Otherwise what was the point of that storyline other than to sow doubt.  I don't think they'll make anyone a dirty cop on this show but maybe West will understand better the kind of cop his Dad is in real life as opposed to his image of him. 

I had a co-worker who was always bragging about her dad being an NYC cop. She didn't seem to realize that anyone who survived in the NYPD as long as he did had to be in bed with the mafia. 

1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

Completely disagree. He's not supposed to look like a 25 year old cop. He looks just fine for the role. And according to the majority of viewers, he's selling the part just fine too. 

The ratings suck.   

Didn't care for this episode and thought it was stupid that Nolan goes by himself. The story about Beth, what if it was that Graham really liked her but just didn't want to be in a relationship with her at the time? I like to think the convict was just getting under West's skin but you never know. 

My mom accidentally deleted the episode so I had to watch it on the computer, Is there a new episode next week? (Maybe I should start watching shows online from now on). 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'd be okay if they did less shooting on the show. Real cops don't draw their guns that much and I'd find it hard to believe someone can effectively cut a slacked rope with a bullet. The reality is that they had him and they just needed to make him realize the only option was to go back to jail and come up with a new plan in his cell.

• Love 3

The story about Beth, what if it was that Graham really liked her but just didn't want to be in a relationship with her at the time?

Graham was too shy to ask Beth out, and Beth was too old-school to ask Graham out.

Which actually ties into the phone number in the book followed by a call. Learning from others mistakes.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Thought Nolan would have texted Sarah Shahi's character after she gave him her number but I guess he's old school? I.e. showing his age lol or he's ballsy in going straight for the (too soon heh) phone call than the text. 

I don't think you want to ask a woman out on a first date via text.  Plus, I imagine she wrote her number in the book with a "call me sometime" message, hence him asking "Too soon?" when she answered the phone.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I had a co-worker who was always bragging about her dad being an NYC cop. She didn't seem to realize that anyone who survived in the NYPD as long as he did had to be in bed with the mafia. 

That is really insulting to thousands of honest NYPD officers. No, they are not all corrupted by the mob.

• Love 9

Gee, we have a whole bunch of hardened and lifer prisoners to transport.  Let's load them into a rickety school bus with light restraints.  What could possibly go wrong?  Lousy premise, but it made for a fun story, slightly dark but not too dark.

I really liked this episode, clearly designed to attract The Bachelor crowd.  The show is growing on me, which is its kiss of death.   We'll see....

Shahi is coming back in future episodes.  Yayyy good chemistry with Fillion.

• Love 5

its time to give Officer Nolan Presidential Medal of Honor for doing more as a rookie than an actual long term cop. Honest, Gutsy , Empathy.. all top qualities. infact every other cop should resign in shame.

i mean show some weakness..he cant be good at everything. he needs to screw up a big murder case or something.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, that ending was unfortunate. I was hoping we would luck out and not have to see that negotiator expert/author again, as I found the actress underwhelming, but looks like they've come up with another tepid, chemistry-free love candidate for Nolan. Meh. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Really, you would ask a girl out on a first date in a "text". Going on a date is a negotiation and she is a negotiator, she would probably enjoy working out every detail of how the date should play out.

4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I don't think you want to ask a woman out on a first date via text.  Plus, I imagine she wrote her number in the book with a "call me sometime" message, hence him asking "Too soon?" when she answered the phone.

OK maybe she did write down a "call me" though I was guessing it was more likely a signature followed by a number scribbled down, which he could do with whatever he liked.

Maybe it's an age group thing, but I've had lots of friends asked out by text for first coffee dates and such.  Even broken up by text (which was not cool, imo).  People rarely call. Everything's done by text messaging these days.  Even amongst friends.  And the prevalence of dating apps means there is a lot of text messaging going on.  In a way text is preferred to a phone call when you just meet someone because you can better control the parameters.

2 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Oh, West's dad is definitely dirty, which shouldn't come as a shock, as he's been built up to Saint status up until now.

Or, West's dad is clean, but there will be a lot of doubt and drama until he knows for sure. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Nolan shoots her a text: "Wanna 2119416029_fork-and-knife_1f3742.png.2392b7f909d1cbfc83d451b6d2880dd9.png1129091348_taco_1f32e1.png.b87a91ff32b6903fe8232ae3764e252d.png or 686103258_aubergine_1f3462.png.84f843b9702dc3db88f33360a63d9d94.png1932046791_fire_1f5251.png.cd01c2158f45faeaf26dcbc0b4f71329.png then  1573090782_peach_1f3511.png.e047696d965e0dc648feaade580a2832.png1723626898_pile-of-poo_1f4a91.png.160db0bf1d9bba27bb1a1d2a77ead81f.png

Translation: Wanna go to a Mexican restaurant or a Vegan restaurant then get dessert.

Edited by AnimeMania
Working with pictures is tricky.
On 3/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

The con played by H!ITG! who IMDb doesn't have listed yet who claimed West's dad was a dirty cop was totally playing him, right? 
I mean, "West" is a very common name. It was a wild guess, right? 
And then when West Jr. said it was his dad, the con just ran with it. 
And a white guy claims a black kid looks like his dad? Not too likely.
At least, that would be the more interesting story, IMO.

I was more troubled that Jr. would admit any personal information to a con. Seems like that's a bad idea.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:41 AM, madmaverick said:

I like SS but between her and the actress playing Chen, I kind of wish Nathan would be paired with a taller actress sometimes.

So, I'm curious, why a taller actress? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nolan shoots her a text: "Wanna 2119416029_fork-and-knife_1f3742.png.2392b7f909d1cbfc83d451b6d2880dd9.png1129091348_taco_1f32e1.png.b87a91ff32b6903fe8232ae3764e252d.png or 686103258_aubergine_1f3462.png.84f843b9702dc3db88f33360a63d9d94.png1932046791_fire_1f5251.png.cd01c2158f45faeaf26dcbc0b4f71329.png then  1573090782_peach_1f3511.png.e047696d965e0dc648feaade580a2832.png1723626898_pile-of-poo_1f4a91.png.160db0bf1d9bba27bb1a1d2a77ead81f.png

Translation: Wanna go to a Mexican restaurant or a Vegan restaurant then get dessert.

Wow. I could interpret almost all of those emojis as sex acts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

How does the poop emoji fit into your interpretation?

(edited)
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was more troubled that Jr. would admit any personal information to a con. Seems like that's a bad idea.

Oh, that too! That is bound to come back and cause him grief.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Read more  

2 hours ago, eel2178 said:

How does the poop emoji fit into your interpretation?

I didn't even get to the poop emoji. The eggplant stopped me cold.

But, yeah, I read it as: dinner followed by hot sex followed by a bowel movement.
If I was the recipient of that text from, say, a hubby, I'd have to question the order of operations.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2