Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Manhunt

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, madmaverick said:

OK maybe she did write down a "call me" though I was guessing it was more likely a signature followed by a number scribbled down, which he could do with whatever he liked.

Maybe it's an age group thing, but I've had lots of friends asked out by text for first coffee dates and such.  Even broken up by text (which was not cool, imo).  People rarely call. Everything's done by text messaging these days.  Even amongst friends.  And the prevalence of dating apps means there is a lot of text messaging going on.  In a way text is preferred to a phone call when you just meet someone because you can better control the parameters.

Yes, I agree about the age group thing; still... not everyone likes communication by text. For me personally, text messages are fine for short messages or the random comment. But if I have a lot to say, I want to have a conversation with real interaction not emojis.  I think it’s more about personal preference, but will concede that people born before a certain year aren’t necessarily addicted to communication by text message. That said, I’m glad Nolan is moving past Chen and Talia is my hero. 😂

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Yes, I agree about the age group thing; still... not everyone likes communication by text. For me personally, text messages are fine for short messages or the random comment. But if I have a lot to say, I want to have a conversation with real interaction not emojis.  I think it’s more about personal preference, but will concede that people born before a certain year aren’t necessarily addicted to communication by text message. That said, I’m glad Nolan is moving past Chen and Talia is my hero. 😂

If the actors ages are any indication (ha ha) there's a 5-10 age gap, which means they probably both still think of a cell as a cellular telephone.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't even get to the poop emoji. The eggplant stopped me cold.

Lol. 

There are weirdos who will send you an actual photo of their eggplant when you barely know them, which just NO.  

If Nolan were to send this pic text, I would give him points for creativity but TMI? Where's the mystery? 

2 hours ago, taurusrose said:

I do like text messages especially for group chats, but some people do text waaay too much, like who has the time to read a gazillion messages?  Sometimes some things are easier said by text than in person; sometimes text makes you think more before typing (saying) something.  Some people like to just record voice messages if they aren't great typers so that can approximate more of a real phone conversation, I guess.   Young people these days will record a million IG or Snapchat stories but you won't find them trying to call someone on the phone. Video chat, maybe.  But texting is definitely here to stay. I even know people whose bio line is "too busy to talk, please text". Make of that what you will.  I miss old fashioned letter writing too but that's mostly gone. Except postcards, maybe.  But whatever the format, I think people are still seeking that connection via communication.

Talia's line was really one of the best so far. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, that too! That is bound to come back and cause him grief.

I didn't even get to the poop emoji. The eggplant stopped me cold.

But, yeah, I read it as: dinner followed by hot sex followed by a bowel movement.
If I was the recipient of that text from, say, a hubby, I'd have to question the order of operations.

Well, I'm old, but if the peach emoji means what I think it means (in context), then the poop emoji makes sense in the order of operations.

I text my daughters to see if they are up for a call. Since they have lives and jobs, and odd schedules, it's best not to interrupt them when they may be busy with a customer or co-worker.  Actually, I think that's a pretty good practice these days when we're all carrying cells (I leave mine in the office for meetings, but I'm unusual in that regard).

As for the call Nolan made, I thought it was cute and "Too soon" spoken has more impact than in a text.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2019 at 1:04 AM, newyawk said:

Well, that ending was unfortunate. I was hoping we would luck out and not have to see that negotiator expert/author again, as I found the actress underwhelming, but looks like they've come up with another tepid, chemistry-free love candidate for Nolan. Meh. 

Interesting.  A lot of people like Sarah Shahi, but I think it's residual love from the show Life.  I think she's ok. 

The episode was full of HITG! though.  There was SS, Sean Maher (Firefly reunion!), Matthew Glave (the aforementioned convict) and there is one actor I know and remember liking in at least one previous role that was not listed at all.  Not on the episode credits and not on IMDB.  Which is weird because all the other actors in that scene were listed.  He was the guy in the red baseball cap who did a civilian arrest on that guy wearing an orange vest.  I want to say his name is Ben, but I could be totally wrong.  I've spent way too much time trying to figure it out, but I can't remember exactly where I've seen him.  Anyone know? 

• Love 1

I enjoyed Sarah Shahi on the show.  She and Nathan have great chemistry. The instant phone call and "Too soon?" with a smile ... swoon!  

On a superficial note, she looks a little different to me. Don't know if it is normal aging or doing something with fillers and/or implants.

Loved the opening bit with the rookies. Chen was so cute messing up her lines. "LADP" ?!?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So, I'm curious, why a taller actress? 

Just for aesthetic reasons so there's not much of a height difference, though it's not that important to me.  Chemistry and acting skills are far more important.  It's just nice if actors can look at each other at eye level without stooping or looking down/up too much.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Interesting.  A lot of people like Sarah Shahi, but I think it's residual love from the show Life.  I think she's ok. 

The episode was full of HITG! though.  There was SS, Sean Maher (Firefly reunion!), Matthew Glave (the aforementioned convict) and there is one actor I know and remember liking in at least one previous role that was not listed at all.  Not on the episode credits and not on IMDB.  Which is weird because all the other actors in that scene were listed.  He was the guy in the red baseball cap who did a civilian arrest on that guy wearing an orange vest.  I want to say his name is Ben, but I could be totally wrong.  I've spent way too much time trying to figure it out, but I can't remember exactly where I've seen him.  Anyone know? 

I have no idea what HITG is and didn't watch Life. I really do not see any spark between Sarah and Nathan, but also I wish they would stop trying to shoehorn Nolan into a lovelife, It is not necessary at this point and their efforts so far have come off as forced imo.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1
Just now, newyawk said:

I have no idea what HITG is.

"Hey, It's That Guy (or Girl)".  Usually character actors who aren't super famous but you recognize from other roles.  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, newyawk said:

I have no idea what HITG is and didn't watch Life. I really do not see any spark between Sarah and Nathan, but also I wish they would stop trying to shoehorn Nolan into a lovelife, It is not necessary at this point and their efforts so far have come off as forced imo.

I don't see it as being forced at all. He's a newly single good looking guy, why can't he date? The storyline seems to be that he was with his ex-wife from his early 20's. Let the guy live a little now and enjoy the single life. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

...more chemistry than was evident between him and Lucy.

That isn't saying much considering there was none between him and Lucy.

57 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I don't see it as being forced at all. He's a newly single good looking guy, why can't he date? The storyline seems to be that he was with his ex-wife from his early 20's. Let the guy live a little now and enjoy the single life. 

I see it as forced. Meaning I don't see it as working onscreen and shoehorned. To each their own. 

• Love 1

I like the Sarah/Nolan pairing.  I thought it was as non-forced as you can get on a tv show.  It wasn't some stupid meet cute (or meet crisis, as is normal on cop shows), it wasn't love at first sight.  More of a mutual admiration.  And they are age appropriate, at least it appears (I don't know the actress and don't know her real age, but it seems to match up ok on screen).  I liked the "too soon?" as that seems to fit classic NF style. 

I don't want Sarah to become a regular, but would be fine with a few bit appearances here and there just to show Nolan has more than one friend outside of the police force.  Please don't put her in the damsel in distress role, though!

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I like the Sarah/Nolan pairing.  I thought it was as non-forced as you can get on a tv show.  It wasn't some stupid meet cute (or meet crisis, as is normal on cop shows), it wasn't love at first sight.  More of a mutual admiration.  And they are age appropriate, at least it appears (I don't know the actress and don't know her real age, but it seems to match up ok on screen).  I liked the "too soon?" as that seems to fit classic NF style. 

I don't want Sarah to become a regular, but would be fine with a few bit appearances here and there just to show Nolan has more than one friend outside of the police force.  Please don't put her in the damsel in distress role, though!

NF is about 9 years older in real life, but what struck me was as sense of equal maturity (emotional maturity, at least). I liked the set up, and though I've been iffy about Sarah in the past, I thought she was great in this episode. It's an appropriate relationship I'd like to see more of.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I know you said you don’t know the actress, but she’s to well known to be just a once-in-awhile character. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I'm old, but if the peach emoji means what I think it means (in context), then the poop emoji makes sense in the order of operations.

LOL, I think we're about the same age. I was thinking of the emojis as pairs, so I thought the peaches and poop should come before the eggplant and fire. ;>)

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I text my daughters to see if they are up for a call. Since they have lives and jobs, and odd schedules, it's best not to interrupt them when they may be busy with a customer or co-worker.  Actually, I think that's a pretty good practice these days when we're all carrying cells (I leave mine in the office for meetings, but I'm unusual in that regard).

Exactly!

7 hours ago, Whimsy said:

A lot of people like Sarah Shahi, but I think it's residual love from the show Life. 

That's true for me. Sarah Shahi looks different now, but Life debuted in 2007 and only ran for 2 years, so that's to be expected. She was also on (and arguably more well known for) Person of Interest, but I only watched a few episodes of that show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

LOL, I think we're about the same age. I was thinking of the emojis as pairs, so I thought the peaches and poop should come before the eggplant and fire. ;>)

It is not peaches and "poop?", it is peaches and happy chocolate ice cream (I can hear it saying "you and that girl can share one cup). Your eggplant being on "fire" just screams vegan restaurant.

2 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I know Sarah from Fairly Legal which ran for two seasons on USA network back in 2011-2012. Coincidentally also starred Michael Trucco. 

I was also a fan of Fairly Legal. Its early cancellation is one of the reasons I hate Suits. I didn't realize that Life predated it, though.

Since the show is called "The Rookie" and not the rookies, I suspect Nolan is always going to have a busy life that will take up most of the screen time.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, auntiemel said:
On 3/5/2019 at 11:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

The con played by H!ITG! who IMDb doesn't have listed yet.

Matthew Glave https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322182/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

On 3/7/2019 at 3:36 AM, SweetTooth said:
On 3/7/2019 at 3:33 AM, shapeshifter said:

Or, West's dad is clean, but there will be a lot of doubt and drama until he knows for sure. 

Huh. Interesting take. I'll be curious to see how it winds up, because yeah, that guy definitely got under the kid's skin.

And of course, he probably won't come out and ask his dad directly but "look in the files": like the guy told him to.

Matthew Glave is only listed (so far) for this episode, and I don't find any other mentions. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he turns up again.
His line telling West to check his file and his detailed account of his alleged relationship with West's father seems to indicate we haven't seen the last of him.

• Love 1

I miss old fashioned letter writing too but that's mostly gone. Except postcards, maybe. 

I spend more time with my sisters (2000 km away) on Facebook than I ever did writing letters or phoning. They keep mentioning grandchildren I didn't know existed before FB.

The hitman convict was successfully getting under West's skin. I bet he is a mover and shaker in prison. He really has manipulation down pat. Just admitting that he was guilty of the murder would make him believable to a rather naive lad like West. Which goes to his early frozen reaction to live fire. He knew it would be part of the job, but didn't truly understand it.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

Poop?!?? What poop?  I only see chocolate mousse!

I'll just say this, then back to the episode: The above emoji? Indeed POOP. Not chocolate. Never chocolate. Poop. So if I ever got such an emoji in a text, I'd be...kind of insulted.

Anyway, while cute, it really has zip to do with the episode, so let's talk about that. I'll just say that the show retconning Nolan's age so soon amused me. Nathan Fillion looks good, but he doesn't look 40, so I'm glad the show let his character off the hook there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nathan Fillion looks good, but he doesn't look 40, so I'm glad the show let his character off the hook there

Yes, I am more relieved about this little retcon than I suppose I should be—I guess because it could be a first glimmer of "Hollywood" coming to terms with ageism in a practical, everyday way. Thank goodness they didn't name the show "The 40-Year-Old Rookie."

I didn't consider when I watched the episode that Nolan calling instead of texting was code for "Nolan is now finally flirting with someone more age appropriate," but now that seems quite possible. I wonder if the two will even mention it in a future conversation.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

The con played by H!ITG! who IMDb doesn't have listed yet who claimed West's dad was a dirty cop was totally playing him, right? 
I mean, "West" is a very common name. It was a wild guess, right? 

I'm pretty sure the guy identified West senior by his first name (which was something fairly uncommon, I think?); it was only then that Jackson confirmed it was his dad.

On 3/6/2019 at 6:13 PM, auntiemel said:

Ack! I still remember Matthew Glave as Carter's smarmy nemesis on ER. He did not age well. (Although I guess that was about twenty years ago, so... yikes! I feel old now.)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm pretty sure the guy identified West senior by his first name (which was something fairly uncommon, I think?); it was only then that Jackson confirmed it was his dad.

You are correct!: 
"West? I knew a West in my youth. Percy."

I retract my theory that the incarcerated Oscar Hutchinson (Matthew Glave) was just leading on young West to get him to reveal facts that Hutchinson didn't already know.

Still, is this going to prove to be true?:
"I killed that dude. It's just there wasn't any evidence. Not until your daddy planted that gun on me" (Hutchinson).

Hutchinson seems to believe it, but it might not be.

• Love 2

This is my favorite episode since the pilot. The pilot is the only reason why I’m still watching and now I’m glad that I am. 

SS was really good (I haven’t always liked her) and she and NF had good chem. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Ack! I still remember Matthew Glave as Carter's smarmy nemesis on ER. He did not age well. (Although I guess that was about twenty years ago, so... yikes! I feel old now.)

Just saw this info in the ER thread. Can't believe that is the same actor that played Dale the weasel! OMG. Time gets to everyone.

8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I remember him as Glen Goulia from The Wedding Singer!

3 hours ago, festivus said:

Did they say  Nolan's age on the show? I missed that.

I think last episode (Plain Clothes Day) he said something about being a detective in 5 years, with the comment of being "50 years old" so the assumption is he is 45 now, although that sort of age comment may not be exact.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, mxc90 said:

There's probably more the Beth story. She probably put Graham in the "friend zone" and it scared him away.

There's no such thing as the "friend zone".  If you're friends with someone and want to take it further but they don't, you either stay their friend, period, or move on.  If you're their friend JUST so you can take it further, you're not really their friend.

• Love 7

Did they make a super obscure X-Files reference or was it just a coincidence when the Sergeant was rattling off names of officers when he was assigning people during the search that he said "Mitchell" followed by "Pileggi"? 

Pileggi has got to be a pretty distinctive last name, no? And right before Mitchell? 

So, is that a bizarre Mitch Pileggi reference or was it just a coincidence?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

So, is that a bizarre Mitch Pileggi reference or was it just a coincidence?

Nicholas Pileggi wrote the book Wiseguys, the biography of Henry Hill. It is the book the movie Goodfellows is based on. It could have been in reference to the mafia.

• Love 1